NATION

PASSWORD

Written in Red (Colonial Horror/Drama RP, OOC, Open)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Rudaslavia
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 28, 2014
Corporate Police State

Written in Red (Colonial Horror/Drama RP, OOC, Open)

Postby Rudaslavia » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:54 pm

• Credit for the design of this OP is owed to resident P2TM missionary and master roleplayer Reverend Norv (who, by extension, derives much archetypal inspiration from Evraim). Should either of these brilliant writers host their own RP's, I encourage all to check them out!

• This RP will revolve around considerably mature themes, grappling with subjects including (but not limited to) the supernatural, political/religious/social conflict, ethnocentrism, and zealotry. This RP will not, however, breach the established codes of conduct set by the NS administration. Please do keep this in mind.

WRITTEN IN RED
THE GRAVE PREMONITION

New Hope

The night is past, and the day is at hand, let us therefore cast away the works of darkness, and let us put on the armor of light, So that we walk honestly, as in the day: not in gluttony, and drunkenness, neither in chambering and wantonness, nor in strife and envying. But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and take no thought for the flesh, to fulfill the lust of it.
Romans 13:12-14

GOVERNOR ESMOND STATHAM

The Harvest dawns, yet you insist upon idle colloquy? What say you, then? You ask of our blessed colony's history? Its origins? Didst thee not witness its history firsthand beside thy brethren and I? Very well. I shall entertain thine inquiries. Prithee, sit. And do listen closely.

Dost thou recall thy days in the Old World? Dost they not feel so far removed from the present? But ye wouldst be wise to remember that dreaded time -- not so long ago -- when we dwelled and suffered beneath the weight of oppression; when we faced persecution for our adherence to Truth; when we faced charges of "heresy" against the quasi-Roman doctrines of the English Church. 'Twas by the light of the Reverend Mister Charles Braxton that we navigated those dark years. Through him and the Will of the Heavenly Father, we did survive to act upon our preordained mission.

In the year of our Lord, sixteen hundred and thirty two, our swelling congregation was permitted a land patent. Purchased with the consent of His Majesty, King Charles the First, from the Plymouth Council for the New England Realm, we were licensed to settle those coastal bays north of the Sagadahoc. And 'twas I, by whose coin said patent was procured, who was chosen to lead our people in the name of the Lord.

We left at the vernal equinox of the subsequent spring -- a goodly fleet of nine vessels under the flagship Ethel, carrying with them our eight hundred and twenty strong assemblage of the Faithful. What a glorious day it was! God's gentle breeze did hasten our departure, and we did watch the Isles vanish over the horizon...abandoned to rot in the pits of corruption.

The journey was long, trying, and arduous. 'Twas during those months, fraught with toil, that our Faith was first tested beyond England's borders. Through the tempestuous storms, we held fast to God. Through the outbreak of malady, we did trust in the Scriptures. Through the upsurge of internal strife, we found unity and comfort in our Lord and Savior.

Landfall was not made until May. Thirteen lives had been lost, including that of our beloved Reverend Charles Braxton. Like the Prophet Moses of Exodus, he did gaze upon the coasts of the New World from a distance. And as he slipped into Death's embrace -- a fate for which we are all destined -- the Reverend did whisper, "We have found new hope."

And so New Hope was thereby christened.

Was not yond summer such a marvelous season? I do believe it was a sign of the Heavenly Father's blessing. The light of the Traveling Lamp did shine brightly those months. By that year's Harvest, we had built our quiet town on the cusp of the rocky shores. 'Twas a simple place, you see. Practical. Pure. The way by which the Lord would have Faithful men live.

That Harvest was the calm before the rise of winter's terror -- our first test of Faith in the Promised Land. The ice and winds came upon us like the Devil...and with them came a storm of suffering unlike any we had seen in Old England. For 'twas during that dreadful season that the savages did make themselves known. They crept from the Hollow Dark like wolves, and they feasted upon our fears in emulation of their Fallen gods. They took mine eldest son...my sweet child...and left his widowed love to weep in a river of her husband's blood. Herod, as their wretched King is called, did bring death and fire to our very doorsteps! How bold of the Devil to confront our Lord's people so brashly!

I...I apologize. Methinks I hast lost my temper. But canst thou blame me for such righteous anger? Perhaps you, too, suffered loss amidst the First Winter's chaos.

But let us shout our praise to the Lord, for He is a just and merciful God! 'Twas through the actions of Captain Robert Maxley that our Heavenly Father did save His people from Herod's wrath. His victory predestined by the Will of the Holy Spirit, the good Captain fought back against the savage war bands. The snow was stained red, and the airs grew thick with the clouds of gunpowder smoke. But we prevailed, and drove the beastfolk back at the Battle of Scarlet Oak. They fled into the wilderness from whence they had risen...condemned to eternal squalor in the hollows' darkness. The Treaty of Kenduskeag secured a momentary peace, finally allowing our people to rebuild. Many Faithful were lost to the bloodlust of Herod's shriekers. Men...women...children...even I couldst not have predicted such harrowing destruction. Perhaps, for but a moment, I did wonder if...

Ah, look at me. I have so little power over mine heart's sorrows since the death of my William. He was among the first to die at their wretched hands. Wouldst thou forgive the despondency of thine Governor?

The First Winter did end, as all winters do, with the dawn of the spring's sun. And with its arrival came new blessings and beginnings for all. As we rebuilt what was lost to us in battle with Herod's devils, three merchants' masts appeared on the horizon: the Maryann, the Mina, and the Juneberry. Upon them were, to our great astonishment, another two hundred Faithful from England. God is a mighty and virtuous Father!

And so here we do sit, my friend -- testament to the might of God's love and protection. New Hope hath survived...and we are here to stay. We will continue to build and continue to praise, for we are the Faithful harbingers of Truth.

Now...enough talk. We do not accomplish Godly work in mere conversation. Go, and labor until the sun sets. The Harvest awaits ye, and the chill of winter approaches with great haste.

Faith

Be sober, and watch; for your adversary the devil as a roaring lion walketh about, seeking whom he may devour: Whom resist steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same affections are accomplished in your brethren which are in the world.
1 Peter 5:8-9

REVEREND CREEDENCE DENHOLM

What is this? Did my father-in-law send you? Or is it by thy will alone that thou hast entered my place of study? Fear not; I bear no animosity towards you. Indeed, I even welcome the intermission thine arrival offers. God's Word is beautiful. But it can weigh heavy on the mind at times, can it not? Come in, come in. Close the door though, would you? I can already feel the coming winds of winter. Before long, the grounds shall be frozen.

I would offer sustenance of food and drink, but...well, I've simply used up my reserve. Our next shipment of supplies is not due for yet another week. A pity that we continue to rely on English trade to maintain continued survival.

I digress. What is it you ask? You wish to learn of our Faith? To examine its inner workings in pursuit of Truth and Holiness? 'Tis a task to which I have dedicated my life -- and you as well, having travelled so far to our New Hope!

We, the congregation, trace our origins back to the teachings of the Reverend Mister Charles Braxton. In accepting said teachings, we acknowledge that it is only by Scripture alone, sola scriptura, through which the Heavenly Father bestows His Truth upon humanity; that said Truths, each held as undeniable fact, are paramount to the physical and spiritual being of every Christian on Earth. In this, we adhere to the Reformed tradition of our forefathers. It therefore falls upon us to reject the false doctrines of the Roman Whore, and indeed any tenants which art unfounded by our Heavenly Father's Scriptures. Aye, such a righteous mission does place us beyond the limits of Rome's bastard sister, the Church of England -- an institution from which we have separated altogether...as she, too, is surely beyond redemption in the eyes of God. Had we not done so, could we have ever hoped to gain access to His eternal mercy in death?

For we -- Men -- are inexorably corrupted by the First Sin. 'Tis, of course, sewn into the fabric of our mortal nature. We are enslaved and grotesquely captivated by the Enemy's temptations, thus rendering our souls incapable of Salvation by mere self-intent. From the very moment conception, we are separated from the spiritual borders of His Heavenly Kingdom. Action alone cannot redeem us. Indeed, 'tis purely through the qualified atonement of Christ that the Faithful Elect may receive His grace. Such are our fates, each individually sewn a millennia before our creation. 'Tis written in the Scriptures that said grace is effectual only in those souls destined to achieve Paradise eternal.

Let not the paradoxical notion of free will confound ye. For the will of Man, while unobstructed to all intents and purposes, is nevertheless subject to the supreme authority of God. Were it not so, could He possibly foresee our preordained grace...or lack thereof? Nay! And thus it is held that His sovereignty is absolute in every sense of the word.

These are the terms of the holy covenant, which was gifted to us from His boundless love and compassion. But one must bear in mind the coequal being of the Faithful, and know that we are all bound by said covenantal terms. No man, be he king or peasant, reverend or congregant, hath inherent superiority in the eyes of our Heavenly Father. Faith is, by its very nature, an everlasting struggle to cope with the divine Truths. And so 'tis unknown even to men such as I, lifelong devotees and ministers of the Scriptures, which among us stand with the Elect of Christ. I daresay each of us act in accordance with our own fates beyond earthly life. Art thou destined for Heaven? Am I? Only God Himself can be certain. What a glorious test of Faith!

I tell you, my friend, our only hope for continued spiritual survival is to hold fast to our worship and the sincerity of our praise! We are the Faithful! We are the beloved children of God! Doest this not excite you? Oh, it brings much joy to this feckless and sinful heart of mine! It is our task...no, our absolute duty...to study the Scriptures and bask in His profound glory! For it is through the Scriptures that he speaks to us and draws us ever nearer to His holy light.

But be weary of falsehood in interpreting His Word...for there are those -- even among our own people -- who would dare turn their backs upon our Truths. What grand heresies they preach. They, the heathen charlatans, mountebanks, and impostors of Faith would entice ye to gaze at their wicked ways in envy. Like master smiths, they bend and contort the Scriptures to aid in their own endeavors. A vile craft indeed. The Reverend Braxton, in his inspired wisdom, foresaw the advent of such monstrous heresies. And so he called for the inception of the Pastoral Synod of Ministers, a board upon which I humbly sit today, to defend the Lord's Word against all who would defile it.

The Synod is a body of our community's reverends, tasked with reaffirming the Truths of the Scriptures and prosecuting that which would drive our congregants against one another. We are a council without ranks, each holding entirely equal representation, and it is by our actions that we maintain spiritual order and unity throughout this colony. In England, we did battle with the falsehoods of His Majesty's Church. But here, in New Hope, we find ourselves at odds with our own former brothers and sisters in Christ.

Be warned: we do not tolerate heresies within the bounds of New Hope. Such crimes may result in fines, permanent expulsion...or even death. 'Tis necessary to sustaining the pure and divine favor of our Lord in Heaven. These are our rules and customs. But you know of this, do you not?

I sense that I have spoken enough. Hast thou further inquiries? No? Then you must go and continue about thy labors, just as I shall do mine. Praise be to God! And may His blessings be upon you!

New World, Old Problems

Hearken my beloved brethren, hath not God chosen the poor of this world, that they should be rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he promised to them that love him? But ye have despised the poor. Do not the rich oppress you by tyranny, and do they not draw you before he judgment seats?
James 2:5-6

MRS HARRIET WILKERSON

You! Yes, you! They hath spoken with you, yes? I can see it in thine eyes. They do have a way about them, Governor Statham and his kin; cunning and devious, swaying the minds of good common folk. 'Tis as though they are puppeteers toying with their marionettes. What a horrid state. A truly horrid state.

Some such as I, or such as my husband, Arthur, see the truth for what it is: that the Stathams -- the Stuarts of the Mayne -- and their circle of devils are but tyrants replicating the ways of old. Canst thou recognize their folly? Their abuse of power under Godly pretense? The deception of our age. I do declare my shame to have fallen under their wicked spell. "New Hope?" Nay...False Hope wouldst prove a more genuine description.

There was a time when I did harbor faith in the prosperous future of our colony. But I, like so many others, soon found myself snared by the fallacious promises of our Governor. He and his Council hath forged in New Hope a defiled kingdom of oppression. The signs were clear from the beginning, but our eagerness to abscond the dark hold of England was too great. We sold ourselves to the Stathams' will.

Hast thou seen this colony's government? 'Tis a crude imitation of ye olde country, and lacking in the determinate autonomies mandated by Scripture. Governor Esmond Statham reigns as unelected King-Pretender. And his Deputy Governor, the self-serving Ernest Blackmohr, has assumed heightened power in the wake of the late William Statham's demise. Aye, that William Statham -- miscreant, fornicator, and betrayer of sanctitude! That he was among the first to fall in the Winter's Dread was nothing short of divine providence. But what grief his doom hath caused his father, and what future sufferings it did guarantee for the people of New Hope!

The Governor dares call his ten-man Council an "elective body," but didst thou and I forgo its election? In truth, the Councilmen were elected by the richest of our people -- those whose contributions secured these lands of the Mayne. The Councilmen are but the new gentry, and they bend to the very will of the Governor.

Wherefore does my hatred burn so bright? Is Wrath, a Deadly Sin, not condemned in the Word of our Lord? Indeed, it is. But even I, a most Faithful daughter of God, have lost my purity of heart to suffering. The Governor and his Council are an incompetent bunch, their reign sustained and fueled by the false spiritual dogmas of the Pastoral Synod. Doth the Synod, too, act on behalf of the Stathams? Undoubtedly so. The Reverend Creedence Denholm, charming in his words yet foul in his intentions, hath even married into Statham blood. The Synod is an extension of our Governor's authority. Esmond's rule hath stretched beyond spiritual bounds, and enslaved the Faithful in the entirety of their being.

As we toiled to build their town, they rested in the safety of their own quarters. As we reaped the rewards of our first Harvest, they claimed half our stock in taxation. As the First Winter's snow blanketed our roofs, they left the poor to die in the roads. As the savages spilt the blood of our kin, they huddled in the warm seclusion of their manors. I do remember the crimson-stained grounds of New Hope -- the frozen corpses and festering wounds of those soon to die. The Reverend Walter Gates was the first to speak against the indiscretion of our government. The Synod declared him a heretic, and had him publically flogged and hanged. Others followed the example set by Gates. Mister Jacob Arkwright, the good captain of our merchant vessel Albion, fled by sea with twenty men seeking aid from the Colony of Massachusetts Bay. They were entrapped in the ocean tempest, and struck the shoals hugging our coastal waters. None survived...and our Reverend Denholm declared their demise a sign of God's displeasure with His people's faithlessness.

Ye shall not witness the Governor nor his Synod mention said atrocities. Two hundred and sixty six lives claimed in the war with Herod's barbarians. And for what? I ask thee, for what? Mine own husband lost an eye and hand in battle with those monsters. An eye and hand for a war that was not ours.

What Scripture justifies these hellacious abuses? There is none. New Hope hath fallen to the ways of the Old World, which we had thought to have been left behind in England. This poverty, this death, this denial of Man's natural rights as the Faithful Children of God! The Lord doth not speak through a Synod, nor through an aristocracy of feeble-minded men. The Lord speaketh through His Word alone! Who are the Stathams or ministers to deny us His love? Is this colony our New Hope, or our New Rome?

As the ranks of we like-minded Faithful swell, the power of our superiors dwindles. We do not stand against tyranny alone. Hear the Scriptures! Witness our Lord's favor firsthand! The Reverend Jethro Hackett, whose springtime arrival on the blessed Juneberry signified the advent of change, hath given a voice to those who were once unheard!

And so I ask thee, fellow Child of God...where dost thou stand?

The Natives

What say I then? That the idol is anything? Or that which is sacrificed to idols, is anything? Nay, but that these things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not unto God; and I would not that ye should have fellowship with the devils.
1 Corinthians 10:19-20

CAPTAIN ROBERT MAXLEY

Oi! Come to enlist in the Governor's militia? Down on your luck, you are. Not a damn need for regular troops, according to the Council. Oh? Not here to enlist? You ask of the threats from beyond? Hmm...I s'ppose I am the man to ask, then. Of course, thou couldst ask the good Henry Fox -- but then, what persona non grata, aside from meself, would risk discoursing with a praying Indian?

Aye, I will tell you. The natives of yonder Hollow Dark be called the "Penobscot." They be neither good nor evil folk, but rather folk of unchristian design. They have been proven capable of seeing our Lord and Savior's light, but few among them dare bow to our God. Instead, they offer praise to their Glooscap creator -- no doubt a Fallen in disguise.

But they be a secretive people. Their ways are much unknown to us. Methinks 'tis their introversion which frightens us most. Even our reborn Henry Fox, who stood among them in times passed, doth divulge so little as to their confidences. It intrigues me, it does. But at the same time, it raises mine own suspicions.

You ponder on their motive for attacking New Hope? Their purpose for bringing the Dread storm of the First Winter upon us? Heh...some questions are not meant to be answered. Was it for honor? Was it out of fear? Their inducements are beyond our own comprehension. Mister Fox claims 'twas their duty to defend the "sacred" lands of Gluskabe. Doth he speak truthfully? Who is to say?

The man they call "King Herod" -- 'tis not his true name. He is Megeso, the Great Eagle, in the tongue of his own people. I have seen him in the flesh meself; a magnificent man. He is their war chieftain, and a leader as wise as he is strong. Our Governor did label him "Herod" upon the loss of William, the eldest Statham child, to the first of Megeso's raids. I think it an unjustified slander, I do. For we, too, took the lives of many Penobscot sons in battle. Unchristian, they are, but not unhuman.

I digress. This is not philosophical talk. We repelled their raids at the height of the First Winter, and pursued them into the Hollow Dark. 'Tis a cursed place, I tell you -- a place inhabited by the gods of witches. There, we fought the Battle of Scarlet Oak...and won. A narrow victory, I assure you. But when the savage warriors fled, Megeso did extend an offering of peace. Fox and I negotiated the terms, but not within reaches of New Hope. We were forced to brave the wilderness and enter the chieftain's very den. I do admit that the sight of that village caused me great distress. Disease and terror had gripped them in body and soul. I daresay their suffering was greater than that of we the Faithful.

By day's end, we had struck the terms of the Treaty of Kenduskeag; a cease of bloodshed, if you will. The Dread was costly to both sides. It had been enough.

But one would be foolish to think the war passed. Canst you not feel them watching from the Hollows? Waiting? Searching for the perfect moment in which to strike again? The Council hath dismissed the militia, as the "eminent threat hath faded." They are fools. One day soon, Megeso will rise once more. And the death he conjures forth shall surpass any ye hast seen thus far.
Last edited by Rudaslavia on Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:09 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Friends call me "Rud."

Rudaslavia
Ambassador

Corporate Police State

Postby Rudaslavia » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:55 pm

THE ROLEPLAY

Overview

• "Well now," you ask. "What in the name of shit is this?" This, my friends, is my first attempt at running a horror RP in a very long time. I've been planning this grand operation since late October, and I am happy to finally present it to you today!

• The year is 1634. You are a resident of New Hope, an English colony located on the coasts of what is now Maine. The colony, which was just established in the spring of the previous year, has already seen its fair share of suffering and hardship. The First Winter brought misfortunes of all kinds -- war, famine, disease, and isolation. Although New Hope survived, it did so with permanent scars. The colony now finds itself in social, political, and religious turmoil. Factions are being formed, and hatreds molded. But the summer has passed, and the next autumn dawned. The Harvest has reached its peak. And the people are unaware of the darkness that lies ahead. For there is an evil watching New Hope...and when it does make its presence known, the colonists will finally know the true meaning of terror.

Rules

• As mentioned in the disclaimers, this RP will focus on some heavy topics. It will include (and, in many ways, revolve around) religious themes. The supernatural will have a very real presence within the universe of Written in Red. But bear in mind that this is a fictional story, and that it is not intended to influence or reflect upon anyone's personal beliefs or convictions. In addition, the RP will not step beyond the bounds of NS rules. To violate said rules will result in your immediate expulsion from the RP, and a possible reach-out to admin authorities.

• Look, it's no secret that the legacy of the New England Puritans has been dealt a heavy blow by modern literature and popular culture (Although the people of New Hope are technically separatists, not Puritans.). This RP is not intended to bash Puritan beliefs or customs. The Puritans were regular people like you and I, each struggling to comprehend this strange world we live in. A major theme that will be touched upon over the course of this RP is human nature. It is my hope that that these characters will realistically portray the complex -- and, to some, insoluble -- question of human life: Who and what are we?

• I don't like hitting people with big lists of rules. Put it this way: If you're joining this RP, you're expected to act mature. Respect my authority as chief administrator of the RP, and respect the authority of my co-op's (even though I've not yet appointed any.) Be kind and civil to fellow players. Bickering will not be tolerated. Be adults. Write to the best of your ability. And above all, have fun.

• Also, know that by submitting an application for my review, you are also submitting that application for my critique. If I suggest small changes before I accept your application, consider making those changes. And if I deny your application outright, don't complain or get sad. It's just that the app isn't suited for the RP.

The Application

• Hey, hold up now my friend. Take a breather. Hear me out before you start typing away at an app (which I'm sure will be awesome).

• Thorough research is required to create the best of applications. Do I require you to become qualified for a PhD in colonial American studies? No. But definitely get to know your stuff. Study the time period. Study the philosophies, both political and religious, of 17th century New England. Also read over the lore that I have posted, as well as the character list. Learn about the setting in which your characters will live. I realize that I haven't covered every detail of New Hope's very being in the OP. That would be impossible. So I encourage you to ask any questions you may have in this thread. I will address each of them ASAP, and then post both the question(s) and answer(s) in the FAQ section below. Don't be taking a shot in the dark when you write up these apps. I want the most realistic characters possible. :)

• The colony of New Hope has existed for just over one year. The colonists aren't experienced. Most of them are common farmers, peasants, fishermen, lumbermen, etc. They're not likely to be survivalists who know how to sustain a lasting settlement in this new American landscape. And they're not likely to know how to fight like expert warriors or build weapons and tools from scratch. In fact, they might even be somewhat overwhelmed by their new living conditions.

• Also keep the setting in mind. This is a hardline Protestant colony settled almost exclusively by men and women of English descent. Don't get me wrong, I love cultural, religious, and ethnic diversity. But to see any significant levels of such diversity in a colony like New Hope would simply be unrealistic. You are almost guaranteed to be an avid Protestant Christian of English descent, and you're also likely to be an average commoner. Will I allow one or two deviations from this criteria? Sure, but only if we have a decent amount of accepted applications first. And those deviations I will allow can't be too far off the rails. For instance, there's not a chance that a Spanish Roman Catholic character will be accepted. There also won't be an exiled Slavic prince or retired explorer of East Asia. You get what I mean.

• And since we're already talking setting, I'll add this one last point: this is the 17th century. Racism, prejudice, and ethnocentrism were commonplace. People of that time simply didn't have many of the social rights and norms we enjoy today.

• If you'd like your character to play a major role in society (i.e. a reverend, a Councilman, a prominent landowner), please discuss it with me first. I wouldn't want to turn down a good app just because it conflicts with the main points of the plot.

• Now that I'm done talking, here's the application form. Please delete anything in parentheses.

Code: Select all
[size=150][b][u]APPLICATION[/u][/b][/size]

[b]Full Name:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Appearance (Either a picture or a very in-depth description):[/b]

[hr][/hr]

[b]Personality (Describe in-depth. Make your character come to life.):[/b]
[b]Likes:[/b]
[b]Dislikes:[/b]
[b]Skills/Talents (Everyone has them. What are your character's strengths? Keep in mind, you must be realistic. See rules above.):[/b]
[b]Weaknesses (At least two.):[/b]
[b]Religious Views (Understand the context of the time period and cultural aspects of the colony.):[/b]
[b]Political Views (Again, understand the context of the time period and cultural aspects of the colony.):[/b]

[hr][/hr]

[b]Personal History (Be as detailed as possible.):[/b]
[b]Previous RP Experience (Please include a link(s). If you and I have chummed it out in several other RP's before, you can disregard this part. I know. I'm a generous individual.):[/b]
Last edited by Rudaslavia on Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:15 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Friends call me "Rud."

Rudaslavia
Ambassador

Corporate Police State

Postby Rudaslavia » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:55 pm

DRAMATIS PERSONAE
MORE TO BE ADDED AS STORYLINE PROGRESSES

Player Characters

• Geoffrey William Maidenpool: A charming musician from Bath, and the fourth of his parents' brood of seven. He comes from a line of musically talented men, and was educated in the use of the harpsichord from a young age. As a young man, he became a prominent instrumentalist in the Anglican Church, and was sent to York as an organist with the local diocese. There, he became acquainted with the Reverend Mister Charles Braxton's congregation of Reformed separatists, and relinquished his profession as an organist to become a tunesmith in the church. Like many able-bodied men in New Hope, Geoffrey served in King Herod's War as part of Captain Maxley's militia. He was wounded in the left leg at the Battle of Scarlet Oak, and continues to exhibit a slight limp as a result of the injury. Though considered a fairly equitable moderate, he leans in favor of the Reverend Hackett's teachings and opposes the authoritarian reign of the Governor's Council. Aged 37. Played by Cresadine.

• Thomas Isaiah Wentworth: A compassionate man of faith, generosity, and understanding; he is a widower, husband to the late Lucy Tallmadge, and devoted father of their only child, Alice. Thomas, a veteran of the Anglo-Spanish War and the dreaded Siege of La Rochelle (a battle which inflicted gruesome scars upon his body), has witnessed death and destruction at an overwhelming capacity. He has, however, preserved his virtuous nature even through the greatest of tragedies. As New Hope's only practicing physician, Thomas has been vital to the survival of the colony, and consequently enjoys a sort of unofficial immunity to the government's authority. His actions were crucial to the English victory over King Herod's warriors. Although opposed to the current policies of Deputy Governor Blackmohr, the Council, and the emboldened role of the Pastoral Synod in politics, Thomas nonetheless finds himself conflicted by the escalating tensions in New Hope. Considered a friend by many opposing sides, he is at the epicenter of the cataclysm soon to come. For now, his primary focus is to safeguard the wellbeing of young Alice through the difficult times ahead. Aged 33. Played by Reverend Norv.

• Joshua Graham: A charismatic outdoorsman and theological revisionist. The son of a Welsh lumberman, Joshua's childhood saw him evolve into a proficient woodland survivalist. He has since used these skills to establish himself as a successful trapper and fur trader in New Hope. Like Thomas Wentworth, Joshua is a veteran of the Anglo-French War and participated in the ill-fated Siege of La Rochelle. While on the fronts of Aunis, he became acquainted with Huguenot Calvinism, and pursued further study of the Reformed tradition upon returning to Bristol after the war. Joshua's religious views are considerably more radical than those of New Hope's Braxtonian majority. A former pupil of the Reverend Roger Williams, he is an avowed opponent of monarchical absolutism and episcopal polity. This places him at odds with both the Pastoral Synod and the autocratic government of New Hope, both of which he compares to the corrupt institutions of the Old World. Joshua's open-minded attitude towards Penobscot culture has also set him apart from the colony's dominant perspective. Aged 33. Played by Alsheb.

• Jennet Helina Maudsley: The humble maidservant of Reverend Frederick Eccleston, and a girl tormented by deep internal conflict. The bastard daughter of a prostitute and a Puritan wool merchant (whose faith was not yet refined at the time of Jennet's conception), she has undergone much hardship in her short life. Her father, Henry Maudsley, perished on the Statham Fleet's voyage to America, thereby leaving her an orphan in a strange new world. She was taken in by the Reverend Eccleston, who became somewhat of a friend and father figure to her over the course of the turbulent winter. Jennet often finds her mind wandering to the darker spheres of Christian life; she expresses some fear of her predestined fate in the afterlife, and believes herself distanced from the loving embrace of God. Various members of the community have whispered tales of a budding romance between young Jennet and her master, but such stories bear little supporting evidence. Much like Eccleston, she remains ostensibly neutral in the face of intensifying division, but hints at fostering slight opposition to the established ruling class. Aged 13. Played by Erinkita III.

• Edmund Langdon "Ed" Cantrell: A left-brained political refugee and surreptitious Anglican in Puritan guise. A former member of the lower gentry and committed anti-royalist, Cantrell narrowly escaped charges of sedition by joining the Statham Fleet on its journey to the New World. He has since gained considerable prestige as an architect for the construction of colonial residences and trading complexes. In addition, he has hired himself out as a bookkeeper to several prominent members of society, including Mister Edward Harp. Prior to the First Winter, Edmund's dealings with the local Penobscot enabled him to purchase an Abenaki slave girl, Alamkasset, who remains his household attendant. Cantrell is Braxtonian in name alone; his conversion was undertaken purely as a means of self-sustenance in desperate times, and he fiercely guards this secret with his life. There are some within the colony who suspect Edmund of maintaining old religious beliefs, but his sheer value to the community (as well as his dutiful service throughout King Herod's War) prevent such accusers from making too much of a fuss. Aged 24. Played by Rodez.

• Alice Cantrell: Born Alamkasset (a name with which she still privately identifies), she is the indigenous slave girl of Mister Edmund Cantrell. The daughter of a prominent tribal warrior and his Mohawk wife, Alice was kidnapped and forced into bondage by a band of Penobscot raiders at the age of 13. She endured an abusive life of servitude for several years before being sold off to English merchants in exchange for European weaponry. After defying her white master, she was thrashed into unconsciousness and again sold off to another owner. Edmund Cantrell, a gentleman from the incipient colony of New Hope in Maine, purchased her to serve as his domestic housekeeper. She was christened "Alice," and remains a part of Cantrell's household to this day. Although appreciative of her new master's kind nature, Alice wholeheartedly rejects the ways of the English. She continues holding strong to the principles of her people, quietly disavowing the Christian faith that has been forced upon her. But the girl has made friendships within the community, most notably with Henry Fox, a former member of the Penobscot tribe and willing Christian convert. Aged 18. Played by The Ik Ka Ek Akai.

Non-Player Characters

• Governor Esmond Statham: The incumbent Governor of New Hope and patriarch of the Statham family. He was a prominent landowner in northern Yorkshire, the eldest son of Anglican magistrate Richard Statham and his first spouse, Anne Tellarson. It is mainly through Esmond's political and financial influence that the New Hope settlers were granted a land patent for coastal Maine. He is well-known for his flamboyant manner of speaking and adoration of the fine arts. Although he was once considered a popular leader, Esmond's autocratic style of governing has earned him increasing levels of disdain and opposition. But since the death of his son William during King Herod's War, he has grown melancholy, weak, and reclusive. The unpopular Deputy Governor Ernest Blackmohr has assumed heightened levels of power in the wake of Governor Statham's public withdrawal, furthering tensions between the upper and lower classes of New Hope. Still, Esmond appears a genuinely well-intentioned man with a passionate love for his faith and family. Aged 51.

• Ethel Statham: The late wife of Governor Esmond Statham, and mother of his three children: William, Catharine, and Piety. Little is known about her, though it is said that she and her husband were deeply in love. Rumor has it that there existed a profound tension between Ethel and her son, William, though such claims are unfounded by solid evidence. She died of pneumonia in the summer of 1625, just eight years before her family left England for the New World. The flagship of the settlers' fleet, Ethel, was named in her honor. Deceased. Aged 38 at death.

• William Statham: The eldest child and only son of Esmond and Ethel Statham. He was the husband of Elizabeth Summerfield and, prior to the outbreak of King Herod's War, a prominent farmer in New Hope. When the Penobscot launched their initial raids the settlement, William was among the first to fall. His legacy remains controversial; while some look back on him as a handsome man of charm and intellect, others only recall his profound arrogance and conniving nature. Nevertheless, his death caused a major shift in power throughout the colonial government, as Governor Esmond Statham withdrew from the public eye and left many executive responsibilities to his Council. Deceased. Aged 28 at death.

• Elizabeth Statham, née Summerfield: The widowed wife of William Statham. Through her mother, Sibyl, she is the granddaughter (and only living descendent) of the Reverend Charles Braxton. Elizabeth is a beloved figure within the community, praised for her kindness and compassion for the poor. But she has grown quite sickly since arriving in the New World, and many have noted a recent deterioration in her fair appearance. After the death of her husband, she moved into the home of her father-in-law, the Governor Esmond Statham. Like the Governor, Elizabeth is becoming remarkably reclusive, and is rarely seen outside of the Statham household. Rumors have circulated that her marriage to William was one of great unhappiness, but such gossip is, as one would expect, unconfirmed. Elizabeth is said to be extremely close to her youngest sister-in-law, Piety Statham, who remains unwed and living beneath the Governor's roof. Mrs. Harriet Wilkerson, an outspoken opponent of the Governor, is also known to be a longtime friend of Elizabeth. This has sparked some suspicion among the people of New Hope. As a blood relative of Charles Braxton, Elizabeth is unofficially regarded as a somewhat exceptionally holy individual, but such a notion is wholeheartedly dismissed by the Synod. Aged 22.

• Piety Statham: The third child and youngest daughter of Esmond and Ethel Statham, Piety is a naïve yet intelligent girl whose innocent nature brings many-a-smile to those who meet her. She is, however, somewhat plain, and feels insecure in the presence of her sister-in-law's "far superior" looks. Thus, she masks a deep internal depression and hatred of her unwedded status. Piety has materialized the belief that she has been cursed by God for her sinfulness, driving her to self-mutilation as an act of penance. This is known to very few outside of her inner circle (an inner circle which mainly consists of her sister-in-law and dearest friend, Mrs. Elizabeth Statham). Piety fosters a distant relationship with her father and elder sister; she finds the age gap difficult to bridge with genuine conversation. But she loves them regardless, and feels fortunate to be a member of the Statham family. Aged 18.

• Deputy Governor Ernest Blackmohr: The incumbent Deputy Governor of New Hope, and de facto head of the Governor's Council in the public absence of Esmond Statham. His seemingly blatant lust for power and wealth has rendered him one of New Hope's most unpopular political figures. However, there are those (few in number as they may be) who defend the Deputy Governor's honorable reputation, accusing his opponents of scapegoating him for Councilmen's corruption. True or not, Blackmohr remains a symbol of tyranny to the common people, and is seen as a dictatorial usurper by a large majority of the populace. Aged 45.

• Councilman John Statham: The younger half-brother of Governor Esmond Statham, and a member of the Governor's Council. He is the child of Anglican magistrate Richard Statham and his second wife, Matilda Beck (whom Richard married following the death of Anne Tellarson). John shares a close brotherly bond with the Governor, and fiercely defends the honor of the Statham family. His is, however, said to harbor a great many dark secrets. While a prominent member of both the political and religious classes of New Hope, some have made accusations of homicide against him. As a bearer of the Statham name, John is often referred to as one of the corrupt "Stuarts of the Mayne" -- a phrase coined by Mrs. Harriet Wilkerson to compare the Statham family to the autocratic Stuart dynasty of England. On a personal level, John is known to be somewhat haughty towards the poor, yet kind to most who show him the respect he believes he deserves. Aged 39.

• Luther Marion: The indentured servant of Councilman John Statham. As a trusted friend and member of John's staff, Luther is a keeper of many Statham family secrets. He is believed to subtly use them as leverage against his master. Aged 35.

• Reverend Mister Charles Braxton: A charismatic Reformed preacher and founder of the so-called "Braxtonian" community (which later became the core of New Hope's population). He is one of the most highly respected figures of the Church of New Hope, seen as the foremost elder of the denomination. He is also the maternal grandfather of Elizabeth Summerfield, now Elizabeth Statham, the widow of William Statham. Braxton was heavily influenced by the works of John Knox, and envisioned a hybrid Presbyterian-Congregationalist branch of Reformed separatism within England. His views were condemned by the Anglican Church, whose officials brutally persecuted adherents to Braxtonian theology for decades. Braxton's own daughter, Sibyl, was condemned by Anglican ministers for heresy and executed with her husband in 1620. Braxton left for the New World with Esmond Statham's fleet in 1633, but died of scurvy just prior to their arrival in Maine. His final words, "we have found new hope," became the colony's namesake. The true meaning of Reverend Braxton's theological principles remain debated by members of the Synod. He is, however, universally respected by the people of New Hope as a true man of God. Deceased. Aged 72 at death.

• Roger Summerfield: The husband of Sibyl Braxton, father of Elizabeth Summerfield (now Elizabeth Statham), and son-in-law of the Reverend Mister Charles Braxton. Roger was a devout adherent to his faith, and his devotion became his ultimate demise. In 1622, he and his wife were apprehended and tried for heresy by Anglican officials. Both were found guilty and sentenced to death. Deceased. Aged 31 at death.

• Sibyl Summerfield, née Braxton: The daughter and only child of the Reverend Mister Charles Braxton, wife of Roger Summerfield, and mother of Elizabeth Statham. She was a close friend of Ethel Statham, and arranged for her daughter to take shelter in the Statham household while she and her husband fled their Anglican pursuers. She was eventually apprehended, tried, and executed alongside Roger in 1622. Deceased. Aged 28 at death.

• Reverend Creedence Denholm: A minister for the Church of New Hope, de facto head of the Pastoral Synod, and son-in-law of Governor Esmond Statham. The Reverend Denholm is perhaps the most controversial figure in New Hope. He is regarded as an extremely gifted preacher, capable of changing his English dialect to suit the general demographics of those before him. He is immensely devout, charismatic, and compassionate to the members of his community. However, his dominance over the Pastoral Synod and apparent use of religious authority (which is unfounded by Scripture or Braxtonian tradition) to further the goals of the Stathams has drawn significant criticism. His opponents, especially fellow Synod minister Reverend Jethro Hackett, liken him to a "Reformed Pope." Denholm's ruthless persecution of "heretics" has also dealt a blow to his reputation; his actions during the First Winter, including his verdict in the trial of Reverend Walter Gates, has branded him an enemy of the Wilkersons and the underground opposition movement. Nevertheless, Denholm is beloved by a great number of New Hope settlers, and the recent birth of his son has been hailed as a sign of new beginnings for the colony. Aged 36.

• Catharine Denholm, née Statham: The second child and eldest daughter of Esmond and Ethel Statham, as well as the devoted wife of the Reverend Creedence Denholm. She is a quiet and reserved woman, but admired for her charitable nature and active role in the congregation. Like her sister-in-law, Elizabeth, Catharine is considered very beautiful, and the birth of her son following the dreaded First Winter has been interpreted by many as a sign of good fortune ahead. Catharine speaks little of her elder brother, William, and expressed very little emotion in the wake of his death. This has led many to question the exact nature of their relationship. Aged 26.

• Michael Denholm: The infant son of Reverend Creedence Denholm and his wife, Catharine. He is much beloved by the community, and is looked upon as a sign of coming prosperity for New Hope. Aged 5 months.

• Reverend Jethro Hackett: A minister for the Church of New Hope, and a so-called "spring flower" who arrived in the colony aboard the Juneberry shortly after the First Winter. Reverend Hackett's presence in New Hope has acted as a catalyst for widespread anti-Statham sentiment, but his disputes are mainly spiritual in nature. Hackett was among the very first followers of the Reverend Mister Charles Braxton, having converted from Anglicanism in his youth. He accuses Reverend Denholm of perverting and misinterpreting Braxton's vision of the Pastoral Synod; while Denholm asserts that the Synod is to serve as a body of doctrinal authority, Hackett argues that it was originally intended as a forum of theological discussion between independent ministers. Hackett stayed behind in England while the first fleet left for the New World under Esmond Statham. During this time, he arranged for the remaining followers of Braxton (who had, for a multitude of reasons, been unable to depart with Statham's original expedition) to escape persecution as well. It is mainly by Hackett's efforts that the Maryann, the Mina, and the Juneberry were able to leave England in 1634. Thus, he is regarded as the true spiritual leader of the "spring flowers," who are counted among his most loyal allies. Aged 68.

• Justice Richard Statham: A notorious Anglican magistrate and father of Esmond and John Statham. Richard was responsible for the deaths of many anti-Anglican dissenters, both Catholic and hardline Protestant, throughout the late 16th century. Governor Esmond Statham himself described his father as a "brute of a man" with little regard even for his loved ones. Anne Tellarson, Esmond's mother and Richard's first wife, died under mysterious circumstances in 1591. No autopsy was conducted, drawing the suspicions of many local nobles. Still, Richard was never brought up on charges, and he went on to marry a second wife, Matilda Beck (by whom John Statham was born). Richard's body was discovered brutally maimed in 1614. Two local peasants were tried and found guilty of the crime. Six months later, Richard's widow Matilda perished in a house fire. Deceased. Aged 56 at death.

• Anne Statham, née Tellarson: The first wife of Justice Richard Statham and mother of Esmond Statham. Esmond speaks highly of her, often telling of her enchanting voice and admirable sense of motherly duty. Her death occurred under mysterious circumstances, causing many to believe she had been a victim of homicide at the hands of her husband. Deceased. Aged 27 at death.

• Matilda Statham, née Beck: The second wife of Justice Richard Statham and mother of John Statham. Though she never became well-acquainted with her young stepson, Esmond, Matilda and John were known to share a close emotional bond. As time went on, it became clear that Matilda was a sufferer of severe spousal abuse. When her husband's defiled corpse was discovered on the outskirts of the Statham estate in 1614, some suspected Matilda was responsible. But she was never brought up on charges. She lost her life in a mysterious house fire six months after Richard's death. Deceased. Aged 34 at death.

• Reverend Silas Olhouser: A minister for the Church of New Hope and member of the Pastoral Synod. Olhouser is a staunchly conservative man who strongly supports the leadership of Reverend Denholm, as well as the Synod's authority over interpretation of Scripture. Although an extremely active member of the Synod's board, he rarely preaches sermons to the populace, as his public speaking abilities are quite unremarkable. Nevertheless, he and his wife Geraldine maintain a favorable reputation throughout the community through charitable works. The Reverend Olhouser is known to have bitter relations with Jethro Hackett. His sons, James and Irving, have admittedly used their father's political connections to advance their own positions in society. Aged 61.

• Geraldine Olhouser: The wife of Reverend Silas Olhouser and mother of James and Irving Olhouser. She is often referred to as the "Mother of New Hope" due to her grandmotherly nature. She is a kind, charitable, and loving individual with a great passion for her faith and community. But there are some locals who find her nosey habits more than bothersome. Aged 59.

• Councilman James Olhouser: The eldest son of Reverend Silas Olhouser and his wife, Geraldine. During the initial period of New Hope's settlement and construction, James worked as a mere carpenter. Over time, though, he used his father's position in the Synod to advance his political carrier. His is the most recently appointed member of the Governor's Council, solidifying his place among the colonial aristocracy. Given his age, Olhouser's unmarried status has drawn suspicions that he is homosexual. He adamantly denies such accusations. James openly admits to having a strained relationship with his younger brother, who he looks upon as an arrogant fool. Aged 40.

• Irving Olhouser: The second son of Reverend Silas Olhouser and his wife, Geraldine. Irving is known throughout the colony for his wit, charm, and rugged handsomeness. Prior to the First Winter, he was a close friend of William Statham (now deceased). Olhouser is an avid huntsman, and seeks to establish a monopoly over the local fur trade. He is strongly opposed by Henry Fox, a "praying Indian" and ally of Captain Robert Maxley. Aged 29.

• Reverend Frederick Eccleston: The youngest of ministers sitting on the board of the Pastoral Synod. His religious views in regards to the exact nature of the Synod are somewhat undefined; he tries his best to maintain unity in faith through the works of the colony's ministers, attempting to bridge the gap of ideology between the Reverend Jethro Hackett and his opponents, Reverends Denholm and Olhouser. Eccleston's sermons are very popular among the moderate followers of the Wilkerson family. Aged 25.

• Arthur Wilkerson: One of the most (if not the most) prominent farmers in New Hope, the husband of Harriet Wilkerson, and the father of Thomas Wilkerson. Arthur Wilkerson has undergone a great deal of suffering for the sake of the colony's survival. He is a veteran of King Herod's War; during the Battle Scarlet Oak, his musket's firing mechanism malfunctioned and combusted as he attempted to pull the trigger. The small explosion claimed his right eye, hand, and part of his right forearm. The injuries he sustained that day granted him a hero's welcome back to New Hope. But he found everyday life to be difficult in the aftermath of his recovery process. Arthur spends every day toiling in the fields. The lack of his right arm has rendered him incapable of using many essential tools, and the decreased output of his crops has dealt a financial blow to his family's wellbeing. Such conditions have led Arthur to become immensely frustrated with the colonial administration, who he blames for the war with the Penobscot, and he has joined his wife in spreading anti-Statham sentiment throughout the colony. Some even say that he is the mastermind behind his wife's rebellious rhetoric, and that his shy nature is but a mask concealing a darker and more calculating mind. Arthur is also said to be intimately involved with Patrick Meadowell, apprentice of the blacksmith Prospero Scriven. Aged 40.

• Harriet Wilkerson, née Faulkner: The wife of Arthur Wilkerson, and an increasingly common household name throughout New Hope. Harriet was originally a staunch supporter of the autocratic Governor Statham and his Council. But upon seeing the widespread hardship caused by the First Winter, as well as the government's incompetence in the face of grave danger, she began to foster a resentment towards New Hope's ruling class. Her negative feelings were then amplified by the lack of government compensation for the injuries her husband sustained during the war. The arrival of the Reverend Jethro Hackett eventually spurred her to question the legitimacy of the Pastoral Synod, and she began discussing her contentions with close friends and relatives. Word of her secretive dissent spread quickly, and she and her husband eventually developed a substantial (albeit underground) movement against the so-called "Stuarts of the Mayne." Harriet is an intelligent, well-educated, and well-spoken woman capable of articulate debate. But her notoriously brutal treatment of her Penobscot slave girl, Mary, as well as her closed-minded disregard for the common man's struggles prior to the First Winter, are heavily emphasized by her opponents. An avowed enemy of the Reverend Creedence Denholm and his Synod, Harriet's religious views have grown even more radical than those of her former tutor, Reverend Hackett; she advocates complete self-interpretation of Scripture without adherence to any specific form of theological doctrine or authority (including the Reformed tradition). In many cases, this has isolated her more moderate followers who wish remain members of the established Church of New Hope. But Harriet's discrepancies are mainly aimed towards the colony's political circles, as well as the Synod's "unjustified" involvement with legislative decision-making. Aged 27.

• Thomas Wilkerson: The young son of Arthur and Harriet Wilkerson. He was born just a year before the Statham Fleet left England for the New World. Thomas is a playful boy who was largely shielded from the hardships of the First Winter by his mother. Aged 3.

• Mary "Halfmoon" Wilkerson: The Penobscot slave girl of Arthur and Harriet Wilkerson. During King Herod's War, she was kidnapped by a detachment of the colonial militia led by Wilkerson, who claimed her as his property. Her parents were slain during the attack -- some soldiers even say they were killed by Arthur himself. The girl's true name is unknown, with the Christian name "Mary" bestowed upon her by her master. Harriet calls her "Halfmoon" in reference to the phase of the moon on the night she was first brought back to New Hope. Mary speaks very little English, and is therefore seemingly quiet and frightened by the white settlers. She appears traumatized by the violence she witnessed during the war. Mary's physical and psychological abuse by Harriet is also well-known throughout the colony. Believed to be aged 16-17.

• Captain Robert Maxley: The Anglo-Welsh captain of New Hope's wartime militia. Maxley is a hardened veteran of Tyrone's Rebellion, having battled guerilla fighters in the hills of Ireland from 1596 to 1601, when he was struck in the leg by a musket ball and incapacitated for the remainder of the war. Following the war, Maxley struggled to find work, and found himself living among the street urchins of London for over two decades. He became an associate of the Statham family just prior to the congregation's departure from England, and was hired on as a mercenary and survivalist guide for the settlers. After the first Penobscot raids, Maxley founded the colonial militia to launch a counterattack against the town's native adversaries. His success during the campaign enabled the continued existence of New Hope. Maxley is a skilled warrior, and is regarded as a fierce opponent by the Penobscot. His image among the colonists, however, is more complex. While respected as a competent protector, Maxley's strong Anglican leanings raise a variety of suspicions. In addition, his public association with Henry Fox and considerably open-minded (by the congregation's standards) outlook on Native American customs cause some to question his moral judgment. Although half Welsh, Maxley is an Englishman through and through; however, some Welsh and Irish phrases can occasionally be detected in his speaking. Aged 58.

• Henry Fox: Born Wobiwokwses, Fox is a Penobscot huntsman and Christian convert (otherwise known as a "praying Indian") who lives among the people of New Hope. Due to his heritage, he has been denied official membership in the Church of New Hope. Furthermore, he is not permitted to attend the colonists' weekly sermons. For the most part, Fox remains a lone wolf in the white man's society. His conversion to Christianity is accepted by the people, but they often shun him as sort of a "half-civilized" outcast. Captain Robert Maxley, however, openly associates himself with New Hope's resident native convert; over the course of the First Winter, the two became steadfast friends and allies. It is they and they alone who negotiated the Treaty of Kenduskeag with Megeso to end King Herod's War. Despite being part of New Hope's community, Fox does not divulge the secrets of his former Penobscot brethren to any Englishmen. This frustrates many of the Governor's Councilmen, who regularly accuse him of being a spy. Aged 47.

• Edward Harp: A former fisherman who, in 1633, was hired to captain the flagship of the Statham Fleet, Ethel. A close ally of the Statham family, Harp has created a niche for himself within the colony as an overseer of trade between New Hope, Plymouth, Massachusetts Bay, and England. He is among the more affluent members of society, and has many loyal connections within the Governor's Council. He is regarded as an exemplary "rags-to-riches" archetype of the New World. But his strong ties to the colonial government have drawn criticism from the lower class. For the most part, Harp keeps to himself in the public eye. Aged 44.

• Megeso: Better known by his English nickname, "King Herod" (a title resentfully bestowed upon him by Governor Esmond Statham after William Statham's death), Megeso is the war chieftain of the local Penobscot. He is a mysterious man who is often defined by mythical legend. Captain Robert Maxley is the only known white settler to have met him face-to-face; he describes the native leader as a "warrior prince of great strength and cunning." Age unknown.

• Prospero Scriven: One of New Hope's most prominent blacksmiths. He is a gruff and thick-skinned drunk, but an unquestioned master of his craft. He was the main supplier of weapons for the New Hope militia during the First Winter. While most suffered in the wake of the destructive war, Scriven made quite a profit. He is totally unaware of the rumors surrounding his young apprentice, Patrick Meadowell. Aged 51.

• Patrick Meadowell: The apprentice of the blacksmith Prospero Scriven. Patrick is a hardworking young man who greatly admires the skill and expertise of his master. An orphan since childhood, he is somewhat of an adoptive son to Scriven. The two share a very close bond of friendship, and take pride in diligently working from sunrise to sundown. Meadowell is rumored to be romantically involved with Mister Arthur Wilkerson, husband of prominent anti-Statham activist Harriet Wilkerson. Aged 20.

• Jacob Arkwright: A former privateer who captained the sloop Albion as part of Esmond Statham's fleet of 1633. During the First Winter, Arkwright and twenty other dissenters attempted to flee New Hope aboard the Albion in search of aid from John Winthrop's Massachusetts Bay Colony. However, the ship struck a shoal after being caught in a storm two miles offshore. The entire crew was forever lost to the icy waters. The so-called "Albion Incident" was interpreted by Reverend Denholm and the Pastoral Synod as a sign of God's wrath. Deceased. Aged 42 at death.

• Reverend Walter Gates: A minister for the Church of New Hope and member of the Pastoral Synod. Prior to the First Winter, Gates was a staunch supporter of the Reverend Denholm and his Statham kin. However, as the Council struggled to find a solution to the colony's wartime struggles of famine and bloodshed, Gates began to change his views. He was the first prominent member of New Hope's upper class to publically speak out against the autocratic rule of the Stathams and their "puppet" Synod. He was subsequently apprehended and condemned to death by the Reverend Denholm for the crime of heresy. Reverend Gates' execution marked the true beginning of the Stathams' sharp decline in popularity. Deceased. Aged 43 at death.
Last edited by Rudaslavia on Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:52 am, edited 9 times in total.
Friends call me "Rud."

Rudaslavia
Ambassador

Corporate Police State

Postby Rudaslavia » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:56 pm

SLANG & TERMINOLOGY

• Albion Incident: A controversial event that occurred during the First Winter. It involved Mister Jacob Arkwright, captain of the sloop Albion, which originally sailed to the New World as part of the Statham Fleet of 1633. As the suffering of the colonists continued to intensify over the course of the winter, Arkwright and 20 fellow dissenters set out aboard the Albion seeking shelter and aid from the Massachusetts Bay Colony. The ship, however, struck a shoal after being caught in a great storm two miles offshore. All aboard perished. The Synod declared the incident an act of God, symbolizing the Heavenly Father's rage at His people's waning sense of Faith during hard times.

• Battle of Scarlet Oak: The deadliest battle of King Herod's War. Fought in late March of 1634, the battle ended with a decisive English victory, and allowed for peace negotiations to begin.

• Braxtonianism: A slang term used to describe the traditions, doctrines, and beliefs of the Reverend Charles Braxton and his followers. The actual term "Braxtonianism" is considered highly offensive by those within the community, who prefer to call their beliefs "Truth" and refer to themselves as the "Faithful." It is mainly used by members of other denominations, especially Anglicans. Braxtonianism is a subsect of Reformed (Calvinist) Protestantism, drawing much influence from the Presbyterian traditions of John Knox. It is a separatist denomination, stressing its total removal from the religious/spiritual authority of the Anglican Church. A key component of Braxtonian teaching is the Pastoral Synod, which serves as an authoritative (yet egalitarian) body of ministers to preserve the "purity" of Christian worship within the community. This definition of the Synod, however, is disputed by many of Braxton's original followers, including the Reverend Jethro Hackett. The colony of New Hope is mainly populated and led by adherents to Braxtonianism. They are notoriously anti-Anglican and anti-Catholic, and are known to bring severe punishment down upon Anglican/Catholic dissenters within their ranks.

• Church of New Hope: The largest and most prominent church of the New Hope colony. It is the community's unofficial (yet dominant) religious entity, headed by the Pastoral Synod of ministers. The Church is the physical manifestation of Braxtonian beliefs, and encompasses the majority of New Hope's population. Members of the Church prefer not to call it a "Church" at all, condemning the term as overtly Anglican or Roman Catholic. Instead, they prefer to call it the "congregation" or "community of the Faithful," and fellow members as "congregates."

• Councilman: A member of the Governor's Council of New Hope. Also used as the title born by members of said Council. Councilmen are directly appointed by the Governor, and their appointment is usually based upon preexisting financial and/or political connections.

• Faithful: A term referring to the congregants and members of the Church of New Hope. It is mainly used among the actual congregates themselves. In certain contexts, "Faithful" can also be used as an adjective to describe the lifestyle/customs of the community.

• Fallen: Short for "Fallen Angel," the people of New Hope believe all pagan deities are devils that have fooled the Native American people into worshipping them as gods.

• First Winter: A term used to describe the colonists' gruesome first winter in the New World. Also known as the "Dread." It was a violent period marked by starvation, socio-political tension, and war with the Native Americans. The lives of 266 colonists were lost over the course of the season.

• Glooscap: Also known as Gluskabe, he is the chief god-spirit of the Wabanaki peoples -- the Penobscot included. Among the English settlers of New Hope, Glooscap is referred to as the "Witch God" and is believed to be one of the Fallen in disguise.

• Hollow Dark: A term used by the colonists to describe the vast woodlands surrounding New Hope. The forests are believed to have been cursed by the "black magic" of the Native Americans, and are seen as the uncivilized haven of Satan.

• King Herod's War: A four-month armed conflict between the English settlers of New Hope and the local Penobscot natives during the winter of late 1633/early 1634. It began with a series of calculated native raids on colonial farm lands, and ended with the climactic Battle of Scarlet Oak. The exact motives behind the initial Penobscot attacks remain unknown to the people of New Hope. The war is named after the English-given title of the Penobscot battle chief, Megeso (aka "King Herod").

• New Hope: Located on the coasts of modern-day Maine, New Hope is a small colony of separatist Englishmen established in 1633 by Braxtonian pilgrims. It has an approximate population of 754 colonists, and is led by the autocratic Governor Esmond Statham. Having existed for only one year, the colony is still in its earliest stages of development. The community begrudgingly owes its survival to continuous trade with England and the neighboring colonies of Massachusetts Bay, Plymouth, and (to a much smaller degree) Virginia. Like with the Brownist settlement in Plymouth, New Hope's existence is permitted by King Charles only under the condition that its separatist faith is not declared the official religion of the colony (although in reality, it is the only tolerated denomination).

• Pastoral Synod: A religious body of doctrinal authority in New Hope. Every Braxtonian minister in the colony is required to sit on its board. The exact nature of the Synod, as intended by the Reverend Charles Braxton, is still heavily disputed. Under its de facto leader, the Reverend Creedence Denholm, the Synod acts as a body of religious enforcement to preserve the Reformed doctrine of the Church and defend it against heresy. On paper, there is no established hierarchy, with each minister holding equal representation on the board. Critics view Denholm's interpretation of the Synod's role as being too Presbyterian (or even Anglican). Many of Denholm's opponents, especially the Reverend Jethro Hackett, argue that the Synod was intended to serve merely as a platform for religious discussion between entirely independent ministers. Denholm contends that such an institution would leave the door open for heresy and doctrinal disunity. The Wilkerson family and its followers have cried out against the Synod for being too involved with politics; they advocate new laws to establish a strict separation of church and state.

• Penobscot: One of Maine's largest Native American tribes, and the dominant indigenous group throughout the lands surrounding New Hope. A local chapter of the tribe, led by the warrior chieftain Megeso, have seen tense relations develop with the white settlers of New Hope. Based on the actual Penobscot Tribe of Maine.

• praying Indian: A slang term to describe Native Americans who have converted to Christianity. Several praying Indians live among the people of New Hope (most notably Henry Fox, who aided in the war campaign against his own former tribesman).

• shriekers: A slang term used to describe Penobscot warriors, likely in reference to their spirit chants.

• Spring Fleet: Also known as the "Second Fleet," "Hackett's Fleet," or the "Fleet of 1634." Consisting of the merchant vessels Maryann, Mina, and Juneberry, it was the second fleet of Braxtonian separatists to depart for the New World. The Spring Fleet's 200 settlers (later called the "spring flowers") arrived in the aftermath of the First Winter, and were considered a blessing to New Hope from God. The voyage was mainly organized by the Reverend Jethro Hackett, who is often seen as the de facto leader of the spring flowers.

• spring flowers: A slang term used to describe the Braxtonian settlers who arrived from England with the Spring Fleet of 1634.

• Statham Fleet: Also known as the "First Fleet" or the "Fleet of 1633." The fleet, consisting of nine vessels, carried the initial 820 settlers of New Hope from England to Maine. It was primarily funded by Governor Esmond Statham, and was led by the flagship Ethel.

• Stuarts of the Mayne: A sarcastic slang term coined by Mrs Harriet Wilkerson which compares the Statham family to the autocratic Stuart monarchy of England. Although it was originally used to describe the Stathams alone, its meaning has broadened to include the entire ruling class of New Hope.
Last edited by Rudaslavia on Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:24 am, edited 6 times in total.
Friends call me "Rud."

Rudaslavia
Ambassador

Corporate Police State

Postby Rudaslavia » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:56 pm

FAQ

Reverend Norv wrote:Here are a few notes on seventeenth-century English, none of which need to be adhered to any more strictly than anyone would like - this is just for y'all's general information, and it might be useful in writing apps. English, it turns out, used to be way more grammatically complicated than it is today. Rud, feel free to stick this in FAQs if you feel like it.

1. "Thou" is the nominative second-person singular pronoun: we use it for the subject of the sentence, like "I". "Thee" is the accusative second-person singular pronoun: we use it for the object of the sentence, like "me." So: "Dost thou know me yet?" is correct, and so is "Yes, I know thee," but "I know thou" and "Thee art mistaken" would be wrong.

2. "Ye" or "you" is the second person plural pronoun, equivalent to the modern "y'all," and is the same in both the nominative and the accusative cases: "You people know me, but I know not you."

3. The "-st" suffix is for verbs in the second person singular: "Thou goest," or "Dost thou know," or "Hast thou lost thy temper?"

4. The "-th" suffix is for verbs in the third person singular: "He goeth," or "Doth he know," or "Hath he lost his temper?"

5. "Art" is just the second-person singular form of "to be": "I am, thou art, he is, we/you/they/are."

6. No suffix is used for most verbs. These include plural verbs: "They fled" is correct, and so is "you fled," rather than "They fledeth" or "You fledst." First-person verbs also don't use a suffix at all: "I know/I knew," not "I knoweth" or "I knowest" or "I hath lost" or "I hast done." Also, no suffix is used for verbs following a helper verb. So "It shineth" is correct, and so is "It did shine," but "it did shineth" is wrong.

7. "Thy" is used before words beginning with a consonant: "thy sword." "Thine" is used before words beginning with a vowel: "thine enemy." In this period, "my" and "mine" were used in the same way.

Above is a guide to 17th century English grammar, provided by the good Reverend Norv. While it isn't absolutely necessary to use this dialect of speaking in the IC thread, I know some players like to be as authentic as possible.
Last edited by Rudaslavia on Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Friends call me "Rud."

Rudaslavia
Ambassador

Corporate Police State

Postby Rudaslavia » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:57 pm

IT'S ALIVE!

You may begin posting! :)
Friends call me "Rud."

Prusslandia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Prusslandia » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:18 pm

This is really interesting.

Possibility of a Native convert?
Add 7000 to 8000 posts to my post count.
(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
I’m back owo

Rudaslavia
Ambassador

Corporate Police State

Postby Rudaslavia » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:19 pm

Prusslandia wrote:This is really interesting.

Sure! He/she would likely be of Penobscot origin.
Friends call me "Rud."

Prusslandia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Prusslandia » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:21 pm

Rudaslavia wrote:
Prusslandia wrote:This is really interesting.

Sure! He/she would likely be of Penobscot origin.

Hrm. Would an adult convert make more sense, or would a "saved" (AKA stolen) child work better?
Add 7000 to 8000 posts to my post count.
(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
I’m back owo

Rudaslavia
Ambassador

Corporate Police State

Postby Rudaslavia » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:29 pm

Prusslandia wrote:
Rudaslavia wrote:Sure! He/she would likely be of Penobscot origin.

Hrm. Would an adult convert make more sense, or would a "saved" (AKA stolen) child work better?

That depends on the type of character you're going for. Willing adult converts (like Mister Henry Fox) are relatively few in number, as they would have had to make contact, learn English, and study the tenants of Christianity within the first few months of settlement before the First Winter. Unwilling converts, such as kidnapped native children, are more numerous, but most live as slaves to their kidnappers. Such is the case with Mary Wilkerson, who was taken from her family by Arthur Wilkerson during the war.

So you have a few options. You could co-op with another player and have your character be the slave/indentured servant of that player's character, or you could have your character be a freed captive.
Friends call me "Rud."

Cylarn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 25, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Cylarn » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:48 pm

I like it. Expect a Borderer.
✎ Member - ℘ædagog
If you are serving the US and its allies right now overseas, thank you for what you do.
Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award and the Best Crime RP Award for 2013 in P2TM. Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award of 2014 in P2TM.

Rudaslavia
Ambassador

Corporate Police State

Postby Rudaslavia » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:21 pm

Cylarn wrote:I like it. Expect a Borderer.

I look forward to seeing it.

By the way, @Prusslandia, you can also work with me to associate your character with one of the listed NPC's if you'd like.
Friends call me "Rud."

Vanquaria
Senator

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vanquaria » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:29 pm

Tag
Vanq commands a quiet respect that carries its own authority. He is the Hitler of NS.

"I took away Vanq's YB for deliberatly ignoring me"
"I know Vanq is a very good writer and this is how he treats someone of lesser skill?"
"I would love to have a writer of your caliber along for the ride"
"neo and vanq do a dbz fusion to form 1 big shitposter then get erased from NS by kyrusia"
"Which is the level of memeing I expect from Vanq"
"brigadier general comes on, pulls a vanq and calls us all autistic"

Cylarn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 25, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Cylarn » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:31 pm

For anyone looking for a pre-planned RP connection, Ebenezer Dixon could use a wife and kids.
✎ Member - ℘ædagog
If you are serving the US and its allies right now overseas, thank you for what you do.
Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award and the Best Crime RP Award for 2013 in P2TM. Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award of 2014 in P2TM.

Reverend Norv
Senator

Founded: Jun 20, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:57 pm

Aw, hell yes. So to speak, that is. I'll have an app up in the next few days - perhaps for the colony's doctor, always a crucial person in the early days of settlement.

This is truly phenomenal work, Rud; the intertwined family histories are particularly impressive and engrossing. Your portrait of seventeenth-century Puritan doctrine and its controversies is also dead-on, and especially impressive for a non-Calvinist.

Nevertheless, because I'm an annoying pedant: here are a few notes on seventeenth-century English, none of which need to be adhered to any more strictly than anyone would like - this is just for y'all's general information, and it might be useful in writing apps. English, it turns out, used to be way more grammatically complicated than it is today. Rud, feel free to stick this in FAQs if you feel like it.

1. "Thou" is the nominative second-person singular pronoun: we use it for the subject of the sentence, like "I". "Thee" is the accusative second-person singular pronoun: we use it for the object of the sentence, like "me." So: "Dost thou know me yet?" is correct, and so is "Yes, I know thee," but "I know thou" and "Thee art mistaken" would be wrong.

2. "Ye" or "you" is the second person plural pronoun, equivalent to the modern "y'all," and is the same in both the nominative and the accusative cases: "You people know me, but I know not you."

3. The "-st" suffix is for verbs in the second person singular: "Thou goest," or "Dost thou know," or "Hast thou lost thy temper?"

4. The "-th" suffix is for verbs in the third person singular: "He goeth," or "Doth he know," or "Hath he lost his temper?"

5. "Art" is just the second-person singular form of "to be": "I am, thou art, he is, we/you/they/are."

6. No suffix is used for most verbs. These include plural verbs: "They fled" is correct, and so is "you fled," rather than "They fledeth" or "You fledst." First-person verbs also don't use a suffix at all: "I know/I knew," not "I knoweth" or "I knowest" or "I hath lost" or "I hast done." Also, no suffix is used for verbs following a helper verb. So "It shineth" is correct, and so is "It did shine," but "it did shineth" is wrong.

7. "Thy" is used before words beginning with a consonant: "thy sword." "Thine" is used before words beginning with a vowel: "thine enemy." In this period, "my" and "mine" were used in the same way.

That said, your use of period vocabulary like "prithee," "goodly," "yond," "wherefore," and so on is top-notch. Congratulations!
For really, I think that the poorest he that is in England hath a life to live as the greatest he. And therefore truly, Sir, I think it's clear that every man that is to live under a Government ought first by his own consent to put himself under that Government. And I do think that the poorest man in England is not at all bound in a strict sense to that Government that he hath not had a voice to put himself under.
Col. Thomas Rainsborough, Putney Debates, 1647

A God who let us prove His existence would be an idol.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Rudaslavia
Ambassador

Corporate Police State

Postby Rudaslavia » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:16 pm

Reverend Norv wrote:Aw, hell yes. So to speak, that is. I'll have an app up in the next few days - perhaps for the colony's doctor, always a crucial person in the early days of settlement.

This is truly phenomenal work, Rud; the intertwined family histories are particularly impressive and engrossing. Your portrait of seventeenth-century Puritan doctrine and its controversies is also dead-on, and especially impressive for a non-Calvinist.

Nevertheless, because I'm an annoying pedant: here are a few notes on seventeenth-century English, none of which need to be adhered to any more strictly than anyone would like - this is just for y'all's general information, and it might be useful in writing apps. English, it turns out, used to be way more grammatically complicated than it is today. Rud, feel free to stick this in FAQs if you feel like it.

That said, your use of period vocabulary like "prithee," "goodly," "yond," "wherefore," and so on is top-notch. Congratulations!

That's incredibly useful. Tomorrow, I'll scan over the OP and find any grammatical mistakes that need changing. I haven't studied pre-Enlightenment English since high school, and I haven't touched a single work of Shakespeare in two years. I could use a Middle English for Dummies book right about now.

And I'll be honest, it took a lot of research for me to wrap my head around Calvinism. It is definitely a complex and fascinating denomination of Protestant Christianity. As you can imagine, my Catholic mind was initially very apprehensive about Calvin's writings, but I adjusted. Cheesy as it may sound, this experience was actually very mind-opening.
Friends call me "Rud."

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:27 pm

Cylarn wrote:I like it. Expect a Borderer.

Traditionally, East Anglia was the heartland of English Puritanism, especially the fens of Cambridgeshire and Norfolk where Oliver Cromwell - among many others - was raised.

That said, this "Braxtonian" branch of Puritanism was partly inspired by John Knox, and the Stathams are from North Yorkshire, all of which suggests a more Scottish orientation - making a character from the Border peculiarly likely for this particular colony.

However, be aware that after James I became king of both England and Scotland in 1603, royal forces from both sides of the Border united to crush the reivers; thereafter, the region was mostly peaceful, and most of the biggest troublemakers were deported to Ireland (where they became the ancestors of the American Scots-Irish). So if you want your character to be a military man, he probably was deported to the Pale of Dublin with his family as a child, and so would not have lived on the Border himself for most of his life.
For really, I think that the poorest he that is in England hath a life to live as the greatest he. And therefore truly, Sir, I think it's clear that every man that is to live under a Government ought first by his own consent to put himself under that Government. And I do think that the poorest man in England is not at all bound in a strict sense to that Government that he hath not had a voice to put himself under.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Rudaslavia
Ambassador

Corporate Police State

Postby Rudaslavia » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:26 pm

I just quickly scanned over the OP for errors. Made a few adjustments. I'll revisit it tomorrow for a more thorough examination.

Anyway, I'm very happy to see interest! This is going to be a good time! :)
Friends call me "Rud."

Nature-Spirits
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nature-Spirits » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:41 pm

Very interesting! I'll see if I can come up with anything.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM Translation Service Thread
A Proud Portal Nationalist
The P2TM Depot – for all your RPing needs

Cosplaying as a Posadist | LOVEWHOYOUARE~ | Kinky Syndicalist

Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Agritum » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:20 am

Oh, I know why Norv would send me this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Witch_(2015_film) , in a nutshell?

Greater Liverpool
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 13, 2013
Democratic Socialists

Postby Greater Liverpool » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:02 pm

tag
An orthodox convert who doesn't support Russia

Slava Ukraini

Rupudska
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 16, 2010
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Rupudska » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:53 pm

Why this is marvelous.
The Holy Roman Empire of Karlsland (MT/FanT & FT/FanT)
THE Strike Witches NationState | Retired King of P2TM
Best thread ever.
MT Factbook/FT Factbook|Embassy|Q&A
On Karlsland Witch Doctrine:
Hladgos wrote:Scantly clad women, more like tanks
seem to be blowing up everyones banks
with airstrikes from girls with wings to their knees
which show a bit more than just their panties

Questers wrote:
Rupudska wrote:So do you fight with AK-47s or something even more primitive? Since I doubt any economy could reasonably sustain itself that way.
Presumably they use advanced technology like STRIKE WITCHES

Cresadine
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Cresadine » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:16 pm

Oh this looks amazing, as a grammarian I really was interested in the pronominal section you put in.

I'm thinking of maybe doing the town organist? From what I understand the Reformed tradition is big on music, though I could be wrong about this.
He forbead þa heortas swylce eac þa baras, swa swiðe he lufode þa headeor swilce he wære heora fæder

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:10 pm

Cresadine wrote:Oh this looks amazing, as a grammarian I really was interested in the pronominal section you put in.

I'm thinking of maybe doing the town organist? From what I understand the Reformed tradition is big on music, though I could be wrong about this.

Quite the contrary, I'm afraid: early Calvinists believed that musical instruments, like graven images, were unbiblical and had no place in church services (though they were acceptable in secular contexts). However, Puritans loved the psalms, and they created musical arrangements for those psalms so that they could be sung by the congregation in beautiful harmonies. The composers/conductors for this a capella psalm-singing were called tunesmiths, and your character might well be just such a person.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Rudaslavia
Ambassador

Corporate Police State

Postby Rudaslavia » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:14 pm

Cresadine wrote:Oh this looks amazing, as a grammarian I really was interested in the pronominal section you put in.

The New England Puritans stressed great simplicity in their services and sermons. As Norv mentioned, the lavishness of more orthodox denominations (including instruments such as the organ) was rejected in worship.

Not to mention, the few instruments that you will find within the colony of New Hope are almost guaranteed to be very basic or primitive in nature. The Braxtonians have been in the New World for just over a year. Large instruments such as the organ would have been considered too bulky and unnecessary for the long journey over the Atlantic.
Last edited by Rudaslavia on Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Friends call me "Rud."

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse