NATION

PASSWORD

The Sword and the Cross: 1570 [OOC]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Austria and Bavaria
Minister

Founded: Jul 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

The Sword and the Cross: 1570 [OOC]

Postby Austria and Bavaria » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:49 am

The Sword and the Cross
The French Wars of Religion

"The North is full of tangled things and texts and aching eyes
And dead is all the innocence of anger and surprise."

- G.K. Chesterton, Lepanto

The seeds of division and strife sowed long ago in France have now brought forth a bitter harvest. The old quarrels between the Monarchy and Nobility have taken on an entirely new dimension following the spread of Calvinism to France, which has been adopted by many nobles in the South and West of France, while the common people remain overwhelmingly Catholic. The Valois Dynasty, weakened after their defeats in the Italian Wars, and the death of King Henry II in a freak jousting accident, is now led the the Dowager Queen, Catherine D'Medici, called "The Black Queen". The Catholics have lost their two greatest champions; Francis of Guise, slain by a Calvinist assassin as he led the Siege of Orleans, and Anne de Montmorency, the Marshal of France, mortally wounded at his victory against the Huguenots at Saint-Denis. The Late Duke's son Henry has taken up the banner of the Catholic Cause, and along with his brothers and kin plots against the ever-growing power of the Huguenots, led by Jeanne d'Albret and Admiral Gaspard de Coligny. But the Huguenots themselves are not without troubles. Their own leader, the Prince of Conde, was slain at the Battle of Jarnac, and their forces shattered at Battle of Moncontour. Both the House of Valois and the Huguenots were eager to make peace, which was signed at Saint-Germain-en-Laye on August 8th, 1570. In order to bind the peace, Margaret, sister of King Charles IX, was betrothed to Henri of Navarre, who himself has a claim to the Crown of France, and is rapidly emerging as the leader of the Protestants. The Duke of Guise and his supporters were, however, disgusted by the treaty, the Duke of Guise having a personal stake as well; he was secretly in a relationship with Princess Margaret, and had sought to marry her. The Protestants are not entirely satisfied with the treaty either, having their own scores to settle, and ambitions yet unfulfilled. The common people, especially in and around Paris, have become restless, driven on by popular sentiment, and now murmur against the King for having compromised his Faith. All France is now a powder-keg, and fit to explode at the slightest spark, that shall no doubt come all too soon.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hello, and welcome to The Sword and the Cross, a roleplay of the bitter struggles between Catholic and Protestant in 16th Century France. You will be playing as one of the various nobles, royals, or clergymen whose action shall shape the destiny of France for centuries to come. The Roleplay begins on September 1st, 1570, shortly after the signing of the Treaty of Saint-Germain-en-Laye. Players may control up to two (2) characters. Major Characters must be generally historical, but some creative license is allowed. Fictional Minor Characters are allowed.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rules

1. The word of the OP (Me) and Co-OP (Apostolic Hungary) is law.

2. No Powergaming, Metagaming, etc.

3. Be polite, rudeness is not appreciated. Be considerate and kind towards your fellow players

4. Be reasonable and retain historical accuracy and realism.

5. Please, post regularly. Inactivity is what kills RPs.

6. Don't be too fast. Rome wasn't built in a day, and major changes do not happen overnight.

7. Please, use proper grammar and spelling. Typos and other errors are tolerable from time to time, but consistent poor spelling/ grammar is not acceptable.

Banned Players

Cuprum
Greater Slavic Union
Arvenia

Major Characters

Catherine D'Medici - Dowager Queen of France, and the true power behind the Throne. Catherine has created an elaborate network of spies, including her infamous "Flying Squadron". A masterful schemer and brilliant at statecraft, Catherine knows no loyalty, except to herself and her children.

King Charles IX - Unstable, unpredictable, and uncontrollable, King Charles IX has proven enigmatic to his court. His opinions are as changable as the winds, and no man can tell where these royal winds do blow.

Henri, Duke of Anjou - Ambitious, scheming and amoral, the younger brother of the King has long been his mother's favourite child. King Charles has grown to detest this, and the two brothers are on the path to becoming bitter rivals.

Hercule François, Duke of Alençon - The youngest son of Catherine D'Medici, the handsome Duke was unfortunately scarred by smallpox at age eight, and suffers from a deformity of the spine. Nevertheless, he is currently third in line for succession, and great things may yet come of him.

Margaret of Valois - The fiery daughter of Catherine D'Medici has recently been promised to Henri of Bourbon, the Protestant King of Navarre. Margot (as she is known to her friends), however, is disgusted by both Henri's personality and religion, and has instead carried on her secret romance with Henri of Guise. She is famed throughtout the Kingdom for both her beauty and for her independant personality. Played by: Western Pacific Territories

Jeanne d'Albret - The Calvinist Queen of Navarre has been at the forefront of the Huguenot cause for decades, and she nows promotes the claim of her son, Henri, to the throne of France.

Gaspard de Coligny - Following the death of the Prince of Conde, Coligny is the most influential Huguenot nobleman in France. Coligny is the Admiral of France, and a close friend and adviser to King Charles IX. However, his influence over the King has made him the bitter enemy of the Queen Mother, who is a dangerous enemy indeed.

Henri of Navarre - The Crown Prince of Navarre is also the heir to the throne of France, should the sons of Catherine D'Medici die without heirs. However, his ambitions may be thwarted by his Calvinist faith, as no doubt much of France would oppose his claims.

Henri, Duke of Guise - The adventurous and dashing young Duke of Guise has taken up the leadership of the Catholic faction since the death of his father, and is now whispered to have aspirations even to the throne of France. Played by: Austria and Bavaria

Charles, Duke of Lorraine - Ruler of one of the mightiest Duchies in France, and with claims to Jerusalem, Guelders, and Naples, Charles of Lorraine has the potential for greatness, but who can tell what shall come of the bitter deluge that is to come? Played by: Apostolic Hungary

Emmanuel Philibert, Duke of Savoy - Duke Emmanuel, through an alliance with the King of Spain, managed to win back his Duchy that had been lost to the French in the Italian Wars. Savoy is now once again independant, and from it's position of strength, could grow to be a mighty power indeed.

Factions

Politiques

The Politiques are the supporters of a strong French monarchy; irrespective of religious differences. They are staunch supporters of the House of Valois, and are despised by Catholic and Huguenot alike.

Catholics

The majority of both the French Nobility and the general population follow the Catholic Faith, but the "Catholic Party" is composed mainy of hard-liners and conservatives, who are determined to stop the growing power and influence of the Huguenots.

Huguenots

Protestantism came late to France, but has now gained many zealous and devoted followers throughout the Kingdom, especially in the West of the country. Under the leadership of Gaspard de Coligny and the Prince of Conde, they have gained much influence, even in the royal court.

App Format:
Code: Select all
[b]Name, Titles, and Style:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Religion:[/b]
[b]Relationship Status:[/b]
[b]Affiliation:[/b]
[b]Appearance:[/b]
[b]Personal History:[/b]
[b]Personality Traits:[/b]
[b]Strengths:[/b]
[b]Weaknesses:[/b]
[b]Fears:[/b]
Last edited by Austria and Bavaria on Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:55 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Political: Monarchist, Integralist, National Syndicalist/Third Position, Christian Humanist.
Hobbies: Apprentice Blacksmith, Amateur Poet, and Board Gaming Fanatic.
Personal: Roman Catholic, Scots-German Southerner, North Carolinian. Deo Vindice.

Austria and Bavaria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Austria and Bavaria » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:54 am

Reserve Duke of Guise.
Political: Monarchist, Integralist, National Syndicalist/Third Position, Christian Humanist.
Personal: Roman Catholic, Scots-German Southerner, North Carolinian. Deo Vindice.

Helvetea
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Helvetea » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:09 am

Reserve French peasant and knight.

Austria and Bavaria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Austria and Bavaria » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:17 am

Helvetea wrote:Reserve French peasant and knight.

Gotcha.

Helvetea
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Helvetea » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:19 am

Might I ask, what's up with the banned players?

Austria and Bavaria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Austria and Bavaria » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:23 am

Helvetea wrote:Might I ask, what's up with the banned players?

From past RPs... I don't want any of them anywhere near this.

Cuprum and GSU powergame/metagame like there is no tomorrow, and Arvenia's RP quality is truly awful, and has no respect for OPs.

Helvetea
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Helvetea » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:31 am

Austria and Bavaria wrote:
Helvetea wrote:Might I ask, what's up with the banned players?

From past RPs... I don't want any of them anywhere near this.

Cuprum and GSU powergame/metagame like there is no tomorrow, and Arvenia's RP quality is truly awful, and has no respect for OPs.

I think I might be a duo of peasants working for the Duke of Guise.

Austria and Bavaria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Austria and Bavaria » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:21 pm

WIP

Name, Titles, and Style: Henry, Duke of Guise, Prince of Joinville. Nicknamed "Le Balafré" (Scarface)
Religion: Catholic.
Relationship Status: In an unconsummated love affair with Margaret of Valois.
Affiliation: Catholic Party.
Appearance:

Personal History:
Personality Traits: Dashing, Ambitious, Adventurous, Rash, Bold, Dedicated.
Strengths: Charismatic Leader, Charming, Popular with common people.
Weaknesses: Controversial, Narrow-Minded.
Fears: Calvinist control of France.
Last edited by Austria and Bavaria on Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Helvetea
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Helvetea » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:56 pm

Just to ask, what would be the best role for a female commoner?

Austria and Bavaria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Austria and Bavaria » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:05 pm

Helvetea wrote:Just to ask, what would be the best role for a female commoner?

Servant, Maid, Prostitute, or some sort of craftswomen are the only things that come to mind. I suppose some sort of medical work would be possible as well.

Helvetea
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Helvetea » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:33 pm

Helvetea wrote:Just to ask, what would be the best role for a female commoner?

Servant, Maid, Prostitute, or some sort of craftswomen are the only things that come to mind. I suppose some sort of medical work would be possible as well.

A maid to the duke, perhaps. Also...Prostitute?

Austria and Bavaria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Austria and Bavaria » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:57 pm

Helvetea wrote:

Meh, just popped into my head. Probably not much use on further consideration.

Apostolic Hungary
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 11, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Apostolic Hungary » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:01 pm

WIP
Name, Titles, and Style: Charles, His Illustrious Highness the Duke of Lorraine and of Bar, King of Denmark, of Norway, of Sweden (in pretence), Duke of Calabria (in pretence), Duke of Gelderland (in pretence), Prince of Jerusalem (in pretence), Marquis of Pont-à-Mousson and Margrave of Nomeny
Religion: Catholic
Relationship Status: Married to Claude of France
Affiliation: Holy Roman Empire & Kingdom of France
Appearance:

Personal History:
Personality Traits:
Strengths:
Weaknesses:
Fears:
Last edited by Apostolic Hungary on Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church

One, Holy, Catholic, and Roman Empire

My Political Views

On the Current Crisis

Beruka
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Beruka » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:12 am

Helvetea wrote:

Meh, just popped into my head. Probably not much use on further consideration.

I'll take over from my alt on this one.

Austria and Bavaria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Austria and Bavaria » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:48 pm

Le Bump.

Western Pacific Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 29, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Western Pacific Territories » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:58 pm

Oh my. Je suis intéressé.

Margaret of Valois is very tempting a pick.

Austria and Bavaria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Austria and Bavaria » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:51 pm

Western Pacific Territories wrote:Oh my. Je suis intéressé.

10/10 fully plan to have her flee Paris with the Duke of Guise. ;)

Beruka
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Beruka » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:55 pm

Can I send you a pic of my character?

Austria and Bavaria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Austria and Bavaria » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:59 pm

Beruka wrote:

Can I send you a pic of my character?

Sure.

Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Western Pacific Territories » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:04 pm

Nice. I briefly considered moving on once I saw her portrait, but I suppose that medieval portraits just do a terrible job at showing people off. I mean, seriously.

Judging from this and other pictures I literally can't even tell anymore if she's blond or brown-haired.

Austria and Bavaria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Austria and Bavaria » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:21 pm

Western Pacific Territories wrote:

Nice. I briefly considered moving on once I saw her portrait, but I suppose that medieval portraits just do a terrible job at showing people off. I mean, seriously.

Judging from this and other pictures I literally can't even tell anymore if she's blond or brown-haired.

Looks reddish-blond from what I can gather.

Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Western Pacific Territories » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:25 pm

Eh, that works. Might get a app up later.

Austria and Bavaria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Austria and Bavaria » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:23 pm

Bump.

Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Western Pacific Territories » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:24 pm

Literally working on a app rn lmao

Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Western Pacific Territories » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:05 pm

Name, Titles, and Style: Margaret of Valois. Queen Consort.
Gender: A womyn. Remember, not identifying as your birth gender means death :^)
Religion: Catholicism.
Relationship Status: Single and ready to mingle. Nah, just kidding lol. Currently in a relationship with that Henry dude from Guise.
Affiliation: With the Politiques, as a Royal this is natural. Also with the Catholics.
Appearance: Neither too tall or too short. Has reddish-blond hair. Has brown eyes as well.
Personal History: Margaret of Valois was born in the Chateau de Saint-Germain-en-Laye 17 years ago. She was the 7th child and third daughter of Henry II. Her childhood was fairly ordinary, except for the death for her father at the age of six, something that a person of her age would not have exactly reacted well to. With the death of her father passing, her brother, Charles becoming the current king. Growing up, she eventually developed a relationship with the Duke of Guise, Henry. And now as a 17 year old sister of the king of France... well, she's here now.

Personality Traits: Quite notably a rather independent person. She is a rather outgoing person as well. Not exactly knowledgeable in terms of books, but makes up for that by being knowledgeable in various... other skills.
Strengths:
  • Widely regarded as being very beautiful.
  • Daughter of the Queen of France.
Weaknesses:
  • Personality could go either way, has a shot of backfiring on her in life.
  • No titles or really power.
  • Engaged to the Calvinist king of Navarra.
  • Relationship with Henry of Guise could cause quite the controversy if discovered.
Fears:
  • Getting caught in the above mentioned relationship.
  • Spiders. IDK why I even put this here. For filler I guess.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse