NATION

PASSWORD

Demens Chosen [PL: Into the Abyss - CLOSED]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Highfort
Minister

Founded: May 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Highfort » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:56 pm

Fvaarniimar wrote::)
Just remember that she has to motivate the healers to actually want to train under those conditions :p and they're probably largely the 'civilian' side of the 'joint unit.' :p

Fvaar is correct, the military medic cadre to be assigned to missions and the civilian healers are two separate units.

That being said, we do need PCs for mission teams.
First as tragedy, then as farce

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:00 pm

Highfort wrote:
Fvaarniimar wrote::)
Just remember that she has to motivate the healers to actually want to train under those conditions :p and they're probably largely the 'civilian' side of the 'joint unit.' :p

Fvaar is correct, the military medic cadre to be assigned to missions and the civilian healers are two separate units.

What, civvies can't go on missions because it upsets the people with the stripes and brass? :P
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

Highfort
Minister

Founded: May 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Highfort » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:08 pm

Northwest Slobovia wrote:
Highfort wrote:

What, civvies can't go on missions because it upsets the people with the stripes and brass? :P

We're trying to avoid getting people killed, man :p
First as tragedy, then as farce

Monfrox
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 25, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Monfrox » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:10 pm

Highfort wrote:

Don't think it's the brass they're worried about
Gama Best Horror/Thriller RP 2015 Sequel
Xing wrote:Yeah but you also are the best at roleplay. (yay Space Core references) I'm pretty sure a four man tank crew is no problem for someone that had 27 different RP characters going at one time.

The Grey Wolf wrote:Froxy knows how to use a whip, I speak from experience.

Winner of the P2TM 2013 Best Fight Scene in a Single Post and Most Original Character, and 2015 Best Horror/Thriller Role-player awards.
Achievement

The BranRiech
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 24, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The BranRiech » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:08 pm

Hey, sorry for the lack of me posting for the past week. I started a new schedule at work, and had a hard time posting regularly. My schedule is busy tonight, is it okay to post tomorrow? I don't want to hold anyone back, and I still need to send Char!Bran to the meeting.

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:17 pm

The BranRiech wrote:Hey, sorry for the lack of me posting for the past week. I started a new schedule at work, and had a hard time posting regularly. My schedule is busy tonight, is it okay to post tomorrow? I don't want to hold anyone back, and I still need to send Char!Bran to the meeting.

*offers tea*
Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart. -Khalil Gibran
Cut red tape with the Red Book / Bureaucracy is a system - #ApplyTNI / Think globally, act locally
At fifteen, I set my heart on learning. At thirty, I was firmly established. At forty, I had no more doubts. At fifty, I knew the will of heaven. At sixty, I was ready to listen to it. At seventy, I could follow my heart's desire without transgressing what was right. ~Analects, 2:4
I wear teal, blue, pink, and red for Swith.
mumblemumblemumble

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:29 pm

The BranRiech wrote:Hey, sorry for the lack of me posting for the past week. I started a new schedule at work, and had a hard time posting regularly. My schedule is busy tonight, is it okay to post tomorrow? I don't want to hold anyone back, and I still need to send Char!Bran to the meeting.

I thought you said you were retiring him.
⟡ and in time, and in time, we will all be stars ⟡
she/her

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:40 pm

Highfort wrote:
Northwest Slobovia wrote:What, civvies can't go on missions because it upsets the people with the stripes and brass? :P

Well, sure, but -- *takes another sip of his wine* -- that's a question of story design and character/player capabilities.

Scribbling in a character name like "Emperor General Nuke McBadass III" at the top of an app and writing "Far-FT Military Badassery: 7" under skills doesn't guarantee survival on any sort of IC battlefield. :P I kinda thought the point of missions was to build up the right sort of capabilities for IC military stuff, actually.

And that's making the assumption that "mission" means "military mission". Even broadening that slightly to include espionage (including combined military/espionage missions) dramatically increases the range of appropriate IC abilities and OOC player skills for sending characters on missions. And I'm sure we can think of even broader ranges of things for our characters to do to Save the Universe™ that take built-up characters and careful play.

E. g.:

Delta Force in Afghanistan: military
Combined CIA/SOCOM operations in multple theaters: military/espionage (the pointy end of the initial US response to Al Qaeda).
Unified State Department/Intelligence Services/SOCOM operations worldwide: the totality of the initial US response to Al Qaeda.

The last is close to what I think we'll need to Defeat the Forces of Badness in PL.

Starring Samuel L "Motherfucker" Jackson as Septimus Itum as Secretary of State Colin Powell
Last edited by Northwest Slobovia on Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:48 pm

Highfort wrote:

Well, sure, but -- *takes another sip of his wine* -- that's a question of story design and character/player capabilities.

Scribbling in a character name like "Emperor General Nuke McBadass III" at the top of an app and writing "Far-FT Military Badassery: 7" under skills doesn't guarantee survival on any sort of IC battlefield. :P I kinda thought the point of missions was to build up the right sort of capabilities for IC military stuff, actually.

And that's making the assumption that "mission" means "military mission". Even broadening that slightly to include espionage (including combined military/espionage missions) dramatically increases the range of appropriate IC abilities and OOC player skills for sending characters on missions. And I'm sure we can think of even broader ranges of things for our characters to do to Save the Universe™ that take built-up characters and careful play.

E. g.:

Combined CIA/SOCOM operations in multple theaters: military/espionage (the pointy end of the initial US response to Al Qaeda).
Unified State Department/Intelligence Services/SOCOM operations worldwide: the totality of the initial US response to Al Qaeda.

The last is close to what I think we'll need to Defeat the Forces of Badness in PL.

Starring Samuel L "Motherfucker" Jackson as Septimus Itum as Secretary of State Colin Powell

That's Emperor King Lord Sir General Nuke McBadass NotHitlerButHitler Awesome III TO YOU!!!
she/her

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:53 pm

Giovenith wrote:
Northwest Slobovia wrote:Well, sure, but -- *takes another sip of his wine* -- that's a question of story design and character/player capabilities.

E. g.:

That's Emperor King Lord Sir General Nuke McBadass NotHitlerButHitler Awesome III TO YOU!!!

Right, right, right! *makes circling-finger gesture usually meaning 'let's speed this up', but is really casting The Cantrip of Snarling Entanglement on the Emperor King Lord Sir General's adamantium shoelaces*

The BranRiech
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 24, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The BranRiech » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:56 pm

Giovenith wrote:I thought you said you were retiring him.

I think I'm going to go with what Cer suggested. Keep him around until Yuna returns, and then maaaaaaaaybe keep him as an NPC for his helicopter.

Tiltjuice wrote:*offers tea*

Danke!

Ganonsyoni
Diplomat

Founded: May 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Ganonsyoni » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:31 pm

I'll see about getting Kale's app up by tomorrow. Might also post tonight as well
New and Improved version of "The Carlisle"
MtF transperson, goes by she/her/hers
Call me Carly

“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.” - Orwell

"I'm a god damn Sage"

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:05 pm

When you need to write emotionally upsetting stuff but you're in too much of a good mood to do it effectively.
she/her

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:07 pm

Giovenith wrote:When you need to write emotionally upsetting stuff but you're in too much of a good mood to do it effectively.

I could send you news headlines until you're ready to write. :P

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:11 pm

Giovenith wrote:When you need to write emotionally upsetting stuff but you're in too much of a good mood to do it effectively.

I could send you news headlines until you're ready to write. :P

I need sad juice not angry juice! How else am I going to make Willow cry?

Conscience: Well, you could, you know... not.

Oh hush you, no one ever wrote a good story by letting you be their guide!
she/her

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:24 pm

Giovenith wrote:
Northwest Slobovia wrote:I could send you news headlines until you're ready to write. :P

Conscience: Well, you could, you know... not.

Oh hush you, no one ever wrote a good story by letting you be their guide!

A squirt of lemon juice!
Cut red tape with the Red Book / Bureaucracy is a system - #ApplyTNI / Think globally, act locally
At fifteen, I set my heart on learning. At thirty, I was firmly established. At forty, I had no more doubts. At fifty, I knew the will of heaven. At sixty, I was ready to listen to it. At seventy, I could follow my heart's desire without transgressing what was right. ~Analects, 2:4
mumblemumblemumble

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:25 pm

Giovenith wrote:
Northwest Slobovia wrote:I could send you news headlines until you're ready to write. :P

Oh, you want sad headlines? OK, just a sec... :P

There are, actually, a bunch I read recently, but I'll spare you.

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:34 pm

"A puppy... was NOT told he was a good boy today!"

*breaks down in sobs*
she/her

Cerillium
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 27, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Cerillium » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:31 pm

Giovenith wrote:"A puppy... was NOT told he was a good boy today!"

*breaks down in sobs*

On a somewhat related note, my kid was supposed to do a report on PSAs ("How universal is the message?") Apparently she found these PSA from Thailand. Good job, Thailand. You turned my kid into velcro-child.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEYm2zA7h_k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dthhXa36ZZM

I've half-finished a Rache post. Apologies to Gio and crew but I'm falling asleep faster than I can type it.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man’s fears, and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination.

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:56 pm

:meh:
mumblemumblemumble

Holy Lykos
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Lykos » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:16 am

Cerillium wrote:
Giovenith wrote:"A puppy... was NOT told he was a good boy today!"

*breaks down in sobs*

On a somewhat related note, my kid was supposed to do a report on PSAs ("How universal is the message?") Apparently she found these PSA from Thailand. Good job, Thailand. You turned my kid into velcro-child.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEYm2zA7h_k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dthhXa36ZZM

I've half-finished a Rache post. Apologies to Gio and crew but I'm falling asleep faster than I can type it.

oh my god cer, those are so damn sad. the whole channel is making me cry.
Agender - They/Them pronouns
Pansexual Polyamorous
Autistic
Agnostic
Anarcho-Syndicalist
Comp Sci Major
History Enthusiast
Furry

Some Political Charts: 1 2
Official Squirrel
of
Personification Life

I wear teal, blue, pink for Swith

Cerillium
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Cerillium » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:38 am

Fantastic collab, Last Chance group!
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man’s fears, and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination.

Holy Lykos
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Lykos » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:51 am

Cerillium wrote:Fantastic collab, Last Chance group!

Well thank you! Took us long enough :p :lol:
Agender - They/Them pronouns
Pansexual Polyamorous
Autistic
Agnostic
Anarcho-Syndicalist
Comp Sci Major
History Enthusiast
Furry

Some Political Charts: 1 2
Official Squirrel
of
Personification Life

I wear teal, blue, pink for Swith

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:06 am

Do I owe any posts?

*paints Storm*
mumblemumblemumble

Cerillium
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Cerillium » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:07 am

Holy Lykos wrote:
Cerillium wrote:Fantastic collab, Last Chance group!

Well thank you! Took us long enough :p :lol:

It looks good. I'm enjoying the product of Fvaar's effort, too. Her character has grown much stronger and we're really getting a feel for her quirks and qualities. Really good job, Fvaar. That's not to say the others haven't also improved. But this is Fvaar's moment to shine - the rest of you can be patient. :p

NA, when you're done (and when you're done, Gio and Slo), maybe you could give some feedback on what it was like to run an encapsulated story. What challenges you faced as a GM, how you worked your way around them or overcame them, etc. We have other PLeeps that want to run long-term stories but they hesitate - it looks so daunting.

In other news -

The effects of politics touch your personal lives. Corporate has just distributed our projects and program schedule. It was re-drafted on Friday. Our division out here handles a lot of EPA work for the tri-state area. Trump's measure has effectively shut down one lab. I have to put thirty people on short notice on Monday because we can not support them - not enough work for them without our EPA contracts. This means that my other labs have to compensate by taking on the small percentage of work that the team covered when not working on EPA projects. My other labs are already swamped with projects. If I'm to save thirty people, I need to bang on doors and scrounge up contracts to justify keeping them on the payroll. In addition, I have to cover some of those extra projects because I'm one of two remaining people certified for a particular process. This means my time here will become limited once more.

Let's all take a moment to thank Dear Leader. Thirty people will be so grateful to him come Monday. Their families will also be grateful to Dear Leader. My family is. We will all be thrilled at Dear Leader's profound insight should he wave his magic pen and shut down more industry because he doesn't understand the full picture - thus they close our division and we have nothing. And you, PLeeps, should be grateful, too. Remember, he's making America great again!

tl:dr
That asshole Trump has just fucked you out of fully enjoying PL because the god war is once again fucking stalled. Swith, you'll have to approve apps. Min and Tilt, I'll need you to keep track of things for her. She'll have the password to my account in order to make changes to OP boxes. Gio, I might need you to continue stepping up to help mentor our noobies. @ALL - Swith doesn't know all the "whys" regarding why things are a certain way. Please be kind and don't pester her for details. She simply does not know everything I'm working on and has to just go by "because I said so" with regard to whether or not something is feasible. My apologies for that.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse