NATION

PASSWORD

1870 : Alternative Divergence [AH][OOC][REBOOT]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Rygondria
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 12, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Rygondria » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:57 pm

Tracian Empire wrote:
Rygondria wrote:Do romans still use togas in this timeline?

Quite possible, though Western fashion has also been adopted.

Ok so our toga wearing eunch is acceptable. I already have a backstory for him.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:07 pm

Rygondria wrote:
Tracian Empire wrote:Quite possible, though Western fashion has also been adopted.

Ok so our toga wearing eunch is acceptable. I already have a backstory for him.

Certainly.
I'm a Romanian, a vampire, an anime enthusiast and a roleplayer.
Hello there! I am Tracian Empire! You can call me Tracian, Thrace, Thracian, Thracr, Thracc or whatever you want. Really.

Intermountain States
Minister

Founded: Oct 12, 2014
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Intermountain States » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:07 pm

Togas seem pretty inconveniant compared to a much more modern trousers and coats worn in the 19th century.
I find my grammatical mistakes after I finish posting
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:I'm a third party voter. Trust me when I say this: Not even a lifetime supply of tacos could convince me to vote for either Hillary or Trump. I suspect I'm not the only third party voter who feels that way. I cost Hillary nothing. I cost Trump nothing. If I didn't vote for third party, I would have written in 'Batman'.

If you try to blame me, I will laugh in your face. I'm glad she lost. I got half my wish. :)
Search boxes are your friends

Rygondria
Negotiator

Postby Rygondria » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:09 pm

Intermountain States wrote:

Togas seem pretty inconveniant compared to a much more modern trousers and coats worn in the 19th century.

Maybe its mainly ceremonial or for Bureaucratic jobs,

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:09 pm

Intermountain States wrote:

We're talking about a (former) official. The Palace is still very much governed by the De cerimoniis aulae Byzantinae and the old traditions.

Although it would probably be De cerimoniis aulae Romaniae in this timeline.
Hello there! I am Tracian Empire! You can call me Tracian, Thrace, Thracian, Thracr, Thracc or whatever you want. Really.

Rygondria
Negotiator

Postby Rygondria » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:22 pm

Tracian Empire wrote:
Intermountain States wrote:Togas seem pretty inconveniant compared to a much more modern trousers and coats worn in the 19th century.

We're talking about a (former) official. The Palace is still very much governed by the De cerimoniis aulae Byzantinae and the old traditions.

Although it would probably be De cerimoniis aulae Romaniae in this timeline.

And besides, they are comfy

Rygondria
Negotiator

Postby Rygondria » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:16 pm

one last question for Rome, do the Greens and the blues still exist in some form?

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:18 pm

Rygondria wrote:one last question for Rome, do the Greens and the blues still exist in some form?

Yes, still in chariot racing. But the Blues are supporting and being supported by Concordia, the Greens by Vox Populi.

Rygondria
Negotiator

Postby Rygondria » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:20 pm

Tracian Empire wrote:
Rygondria wrote:one last question for Rome, do the Greens and the blues still exist in some form?

Yes, still in chariot racing. But the Blues are supporting and being supported by Concordia, the Greens by Vox Populi.

Chariot racing in the 19th,huh.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:21 pm

Rygondria wrote:
Tracian Empire wrote:Yes, still in chariot racing. But the Blues are supporting and being supported by Concordia, the Greens by Vox Populi.

Chariot racing in the 19th,huh.

And gladiator fights too.

Rygondria
Negotiator

Postby Rygondria » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:31 pm

Tracian Empire wrote:
Rygondria wrote:Chariot racing in the 19th,huh.

And gladiator fights too.

Is it to the death or is it more showing poweress in arms.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:33 pm

Rygondria wrote:
Tracian Empire wrote:And gladiator fights too.

Is it to the death or is it more showing poweress in arms.

Some games are, some aren't. But all gladiators are free men.

Rygondria
Negotiator

Postby Rygondria » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:35 pm

Tracian Empire wrote:
Rygondria wrote:Is it to the death or is it more showing poweress in arms.

Some games are, some aren't. But all gladiators are free men.

i would think to the death would be like, for condemned men or maybe if both parties consent to it.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:39 pm

Rygondria wrote:
Tracian Empire wrote:Some games are, some aren't. But all gladiators are free men.

i would think to the death would be like, for condemned men or maybe if both parties consent to it.

For those who want. The one who wins basically gets rich.

Rygondria
Negotiator

Postby Rygondria » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:41 pm

Tracian Empire wrote:
Rygondria wrote:i would think to the death would be like, for condemned men or maybe if both parties consent to it.

For those who want. The one who wins basically gets rich.

ok then...but those are rare right.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:43 pm

Rygondria wrote:
Tracian Empire wrote:For those who want. The one who wins basically gets rich.

ok then...but those are rare right.

Yes, they're important events.

Atreidya
Envoy

Founded: Aug 25, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Atreidya » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:13 pm

Full Nation Name : Zagwe Sultanate
Majority/Official Culture :Ethiopian
Territorial Core : Ethiopia, Djibouti, Somalia, Sudan east of the Nile, Seychelles
Territorial Claim : East African Coast, Madagascar, Kenya, the rest of Sudan
Capital City : Alyabila, (Lalibela)
Population :12,000,000

Government Type : Monarchy
Government Ideology/Policies : Expansionist
Government Focus : Military and Culture
Head of State : Sultan Arkaan al-Alyabila
Head of Government : Sultan Arkaan al-Alyabila
Government Description : Traditionalist Monarchy

Majority/State Religion : Shia Islam
Religious Description : While still technically Shia the Sultanate is almost entirely alttakayuf, (adapting). This became a core concept that altered the way both the sultanate and regional Islam went about dealing with others. They followed a prospect of adapting their religion slightly to make it easier to convert people.

Economic Ideologies : Mercantilism
Major Production : Natural resources specifically large amounts of minerals and ores.
Economic Description : The economy has been based off of trading with foreign nations across the Indian ocean for centuries. While in recent years this has definitely diminished the Zagwe Sultanate is still known for it's trading power, even that which it once had. While in the past the economy relied almost entirely on trade passing through it's ports to other lands it now resides on the sale of resources from the inland region of the country. This has caused some to be unhappy as the exported goods vastly out way the imported and many feel Zagwe traders are given poorer deals than other nations. Trade and sailing however remain an integral part of the Zagwe identity.

Army Strength : The Zagwe army is well trained and has high morale.
Army Weakness : The Zagwe army is woefully outdated.
Naval Strength : Zagwe has some of the most talented and well trained sailors.
Naval Weakness : Zagwe ships are extremely outdated.
Further Military Description : The Zagwe Navy has greatly skilled and trained sailors. They have been loaned to allied navies throughout history. Zagwean sailors maintain this pride, and while now they largely just patrol their waters and trade lanes they remain some of the best in the world. Their ships are vastly outdated making their crews have to work much harder just to to try and make up the difference. The Zagwean army is in much the same situation, with soldiers trained extremely well for fighting in a diverse set of landscapes primarily deserts and arid grasslands. However while their training is very good arguably their greatest feature is their devotion to the Sultan. Many feel Sultan Arkaan will bring their nation back to it's former glory and them along with it. Their dedication is nigh limitless. Like the navy their equipment is severely outdated which causes many problems, however they have less developed nations on their immediate borders which makes this less of a problem. However the threat of a modern nation coming to blows with Zagwe has become the center of worry and the Sultanate looks to advance it's forces technology.

National Goals : Expand Further in Africa and become a great trade power again.
National Issues : The Sultanate needs to attempt to modernize and build up it's trade ties.
National Figures of Interest : Ramis al-Alyabila, Taamir al-Mogadishu, Nizaam al-Medina
National Ambition/Aspirations : Become a world Player, have strong influence across the Indian ocean and Africa

History :
Axum continues as a major African state as far as 825, it then begins a slow decline that eventually fractures it into dozens of smaller states.

In 830 the coastal regions of the Sultanate were were invaded and largely made into a series of minor port colonies by several Muslim groups from the Arabian peninsula. In 854 they break from their Arabian masters and become a part of a renewed Kingdom of Aksum. Under Nizaam al-Medina in 868 Shia Islam begins it's spread into the region. Dominating the coastal areas it remains largely at peace with the Christian and Jewish native populace who largely welcome them with peace. Previous Muslim minorities further inland are quickly amalgamated by this offshoot.

By 900 the Influence of this 'adaptive' Muslim movement becomes the Majority of the African coastal areas, including Zagwe, a small Kingdom with the capital of Lalibela formerly strictly Christian. While the capital of Lalibela remained slightly Christian the kingdom had become Muslim in every thing but official decree. This would change at the invasion by the army of Taamir al-Mogadishu. Having wed the daughter of the king of Zagwe Taamir had a claim to the throne that began to slip when his new wife's uncle ascended to the throne before him. The Somalian forces under his rule attacked Lalibela however they found the nearby states supportive of the small kingdom and so Taamir was slain and his wife returned home to Lalibela. Her son however would ascend to the throne of Zagwe at twenty. Ramis al-Alyabila would be the first Muslim ruler of Zagwe.

Ramis like his father would be a warrior. He enforced his claim over the Somalians to the south and succeeded in replacing his cousin as the ruler. Ramis al-Alyabila would declare the Sultanate of Zagwe in 970. This would begin the expansion of Zagwe over the next several centuries.

By 1000 Zagwe reached from Lalibela in the north and west and then east to the Indian ocean. Mogadishu and Berbera as well as several other cities along the coast became rich. Resources and slaves from the interior made their way along the secure roads of the Sultanate before beginning the long sailing journey as far as Malayasia and even Japan. Zagwe was by far the dominant African state in the area. Several Client states along the fringes of the Sultanate existed almost purely at Zagwe's whim. Forming a protective buffer and paying tribute these states became a trouble by 1243.

In 1243 Zagwe had declined slightly. It's lack of steady expansion and show of force had made it's neighbors and vassals bold. Several refused to pay tribute and many others outright launched raids of the Sultanate's lands. This would in the long run actually revive Zagwe. Fearing their nation was about to be overrun the Sultanate would begin sacking it's rebellious vassals. Some chose to pay their tribute to attempt to avoid the wrath, few succeeded. By 1500 Zagwe had taken the territories spanning the land from the Southern Nile near Juba, as far as the Horn of Africa and from Asmara in the north to the southern tip of Somalia.

The 1500's and 1600's would see the transition again to a more trading focused styled state. Now able to trade with the likes of Korea, Japan, and China with more ease Zagwean ships sailed as far as western Europe. Trade boomed and again Zagwe grew rich. Exotic goods were brought from every corner of the known world and soon Zagwe was known by foreign traders as a friendly place for goods and work. Over this time slowly yet surely Zagwe continued it's expansion north into Sudan.

By 1785 Zagwe had territory from the edges of Egypt to the Jungles of Tanzania. However Zagwe entered a steady decline, rebellions and civil wars fought continuously from this time to 1850 would eventually caused the losses of several regions on the peripheral. Trade began to decrease, as it became easier for European and Asian powers to bypass the Sultanate for trade.

In 1850 Sultan Arkaan al-Alyabila took his elder brother's throne. He was forced to combat a conspiracy from his own younger brother to become Sultan and spent the first five years consolidating his throne. Arkaan was able to largely win over his supporters by promising them to renew the greatness of Zagwe. He further solidified this promise by seizing the Seychelles. It took a year to fully establish the military ports now used there, and another two to properly set up the civilian aspect of the Islands under the Sultanate. However by 1865 several hundred Zagweans settled onto the Islands.

Having accomplished this Sultan Arkaan has largely proven to his people he is willing to work toward his goal of rebuilding Zagwe or even expanding it. His commitment to Zagwe is matched by the people's commitment to him.

Comparison Points – Political :3
Comparison Points – Cultural/Religious :2
Comparison Points – Economy : 3
Comparison Points – Military : 2
Total Comparison Points used (10 Points MAX) : 10/10
Last edited by Atreidya on Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:14 pm

Interesting app, but it still requires more details.

The V O I D
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 13, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The V O I D » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:27 pm

Tracian Empire wrote:
The V O I D wrote:Dafuq I miss?

A lot.

Oh, so the usual shit, then?

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:27 pm

The V O I D wrote:
Tracian Empire wrote:A lot.

A little worse than the usual shit, but yes.

The V O I D
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 13, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The V O I D » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:33 pm

Tracian Empire wrote:
The V O I D wrote:

A little worse than the usual shit, but yes.

Gotcha.

Atreidya
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Atreidya » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:39 pm

Tracian Empire wrote:Interesting app, but it still requires more details.

What do I need to add?

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:43 pm

Atreidya wrote:
Tracian Empire wrote:Interesting app, but it still requires more details.

What do I need to add?

Firstly, it would be nice if you would fix the few capital letters missing or in plus. Then, you should give us some sort of an image of your claims. But most importantly, the economy and military parts need some more details, at least a few sentences each.

Western Imperial Union
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Imperial Union » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:47 pm

Hey trace did you get a chance to look at my app yet?

Atreidya
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Atreidya » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:52 pm

Tracian Empire wrote:
Atreidya wrote:
What do I need to add?

Firstly, it would be nice if you would fix the few capital letters missing or in plus. Then, you should give us some sort of an image of your claims. But most importantly, the economy and military parts need some more details, at least a few sentences each.

I will fix those things as asked. Only problem is image. I have no way of making a map.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse