NATION

PASSWORD

1870 : Alternative Divergence [AH][OOC][REBOOT]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:04 am

Sanabel wrote:
Tracian Empire wrote:It's difficult to say what's free in Eastern Europe.

And the free land in Eastern Europe is in fact mostly not Slavic. It's a lot of Romanian/Moldovan and Baltic, aside from the Polish lands.

True.
I'm a Romanian, a vampire, an anime enthusiast and a roleplayer.
Hello there! I am Tracian Empire! You can call me Tracian, Thrace, Thracian, Thracr, Thracc or whatever you want. Really.

The V O I D
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 13, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The V O I D » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:07 am

Tracian Empire wrote:
The V O I D wrote:
Yeah. Emperor Quintus III was the youngest Emperor to take power in Italian history [relative to the Italian Empire]. Antonia will be the first Empress in a long time, and the first Empress who also happened to be the first child (as, traditionally, it was always the first son who'd be named heir). Antonia is also the eldest of three children, a son (Antonius Quintus IV; aged 13) and another daughter (Maria Valentina; aged 11).

I feel as though the Emperor of Eastern Rome won't be able to help but to see a golden opportunity to take Italia when it becomes destabilized at some point after Antonia's reign begins.

For my Emperor, it's nothing out of the ordinary, he was the first purple born prince. Normal succession laws, and he was a Caesar for a few years before the death of his father.

Difficult to say. The Romans would certainly see it as an opportunity, but if Antonia manages to convince Julius and the Roman Senate for an alliance, the Romans aren't the kind to break their promises and alliances.

Ah, interesting. So differing forms of succession; usually, the Emperor or Empress selects their heir from their children, and traditionally it's always been the first-born son to keep the Dynasty in power. Emperor Quintus III announcing Antonia Valentina as the Imperial Princess means he is allowing for a peaceful transition of power to a new dynasty as well as announcing his first daughter/first child as the future Empress. Which hasn't been done before in the Italian Empire's history.

And, that's fair enough. Empress Antonia Valentina would have to move quickly to accomplish this, though, as I plan for the Communists to revolt within two years IC-time of Antonia's reign beginning, causing the fascist military officers and high commanders to see an opportunity and try to declare a coup to restore order to the Empire. All the while, the Pope blames the heathens and Pagans for this instability and says the only way to restore order is to join with the Church once more, and restore order through God's grace - therefor using his Holy Army to try and take over Italia as well.

A four-way civil war, if you will, with the Empress and loyal Imperial Legions fighting against the fascist coup and communist revolutionaries, as well as trying to protect her from the Pope's holy army, who will accuse her of being the anti-christ due to being the daughter of a Pagan Emperor.

All in all, it's going to be an interesting time when it happens.

Danceria
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Danceria » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:09 am

Reservation

Nation Name: Scandinavian Empire
Territory: Norway, Sweden, Finland, Remainder of Venezuela, Guyana, Suriname, Nigeria, Angola, and Argentina
#AltDiv (do not delete this, it's for keeping track of the apps)
*Note: Reservations will last for 48 hours
The V O I D wrote:
Tracian Empire wrote:
For my Emperor, it's nothing out of the ordinary, he was the first purple born prince. Normal succession laws, and he was a Caesar for a few years before the death of his father.

Difficult to say. The Romans would certainly see it as an opportunity, but if Antonia manages to convince Julius and the Roman Senate for an alliance, the Romans aren't the kind to break their promises and alliances.

Ah, interesting. So differing forms of succession; usually, the Emperor or Empress selects their heir from their children, and traditionally it's always been the first-born son to keep the Dynasty in power. Emperor Quintus III announcing Antonia Valentina as the Imperial Princess means he is allowing for a peaceful transition of power to a new dynasty as well as announcing his first daughter/first child as the future Empress. Which hasn't been done before in the Italian Empire's history.

And, that's fair enough. Empress Antonia Valentina would have to move quickly to accomplish this, though, as I plan for the Communists to revolt within two years IC-time of Antonia's reign beginning, causing the fascist military officers and high commanders to see an opportunity and try to declare a coup to restore order to the Empire. All the while, the Pope blames the heathens and Pagans for this instability and says the only way to restore order is to join with the Church once more, and restore order through God's grace - therefor using his Holy Army to try and take over Italia as well.

A four-way civil war, if you will, with the Empress and loyal Imperial Legions fighting against the fascist coup and communist revolutionaries, as well as trying to protect her from the Pope's holy army, who will accuse her of being the anti-christ due to being the daughter of a Pagan Emperor.

Restoring the Pentarchy when?
One true Patron Saint of Sinners and Satire
It is my sole purpose in life to offend you and get you to think about your convictions due to this
“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” - Sir Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of Great Britain.
Obligatory Quotes below
“Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind; and therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.” - William Shakespeare.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.” - Thomas Jefferson

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection.” - Thomas Paine
-{(~CO-FOUNDER OF NS AXIS POWERS~)}-

Seinlo
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Seinlo » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:09 am

Tracian Empire wrote:
Seinlo wrote:
@Trace

Like I said, they're highly professional. In fact, the majority of my state-operated army has been trained since they were children.

And yes, that does mean lots of schooling :/

That would also mean a small army from the point of view of numbers.

I have a sufficient population. I'm lowering the pop number now, but I may edit my army to have a smaller percentage of those elite soldiers. I also have a massive merc/privateer industry, and privateer/merc guilds that rely on my state for a safe-haven, and pay (they are served before foreign organizations, and we provide them with jobs from other navies. It was that or extermination, but they do get paid a lot so it's all good(.
Depression kind of goes along with not being liked, especially when you ask for help, and don't get it. Remember that, okay? There are people who need someone, even if in a small way. Don't avoid them because of a misunderstanding, them having a bad day, and definitely not because everyone else does it. Even if it's just a fifteen minute conversation about nothing, it might help.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:12 am

The V O I D wrote:
Tracian Empire wrote:

The Imperator can choose any of his children to be the next Emperor or Empress, but what's important is that only purple born princes or princesses qualify for it. And yes, usually the first son has been the one to be always selected. But dynastic changes have happened in the past, like when the power passed from the Commnenos Dynasty to the Palaeologos Dynasty in 1204, and Empresses have ruled the Imperium in the past.

Well, she can certainly visit Constantinople or my Emperor could visit Rome as soon as the roleplay starts. The Imperium may be convinced to help her, and that would certainly help her in the conflict. As a Caesaropapist Monarchy, the Romans can't exactly support any of the other possible factions openly.
Hello there! I am Tracian Empire! You can call me Tracian, Thrace, Thracian, Thracr, Thracc or whatever you want. Really.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:12 am

Seinlo wrote:
Tracian Empire wrote:That would also mean a small army from the point of view of numbers.

I have a sufficient population. I'm lowering the pop number now, but I may edit my army to have a smaller percentage of those elite soldiers. I also have a massive merc/privateer industry, and privateer/merc guilds that rely on my state for a safe-haven, and pay (they are served before foreign organizations, and we provide them with jobs from other navies. It was that or extermination, but they do get paid a lot so it's all good(.

As long as you understand the unreliability of mercenaries.

Seinlo
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Seinlo » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:13 am

Danceria wrote:
Reservation

Territory: Norway, Sweden, Finland, Remainder of Venezuela, Guyana, Suriname, Nigeria, Angola, and Argentina
The V O I D wrote:

You can give them a trading post or two in my territory if you want. We have a huge reliance on things outside of our nation, so it would be fine.

Everything from war to exploration of resources effects us as a mercantile nation, and having some defended trading posts would benefit both of us.

Put one in Madagascar. IRL, Europeans tried to open trade relations, but failed because of Malagasy ferocity. You can has trading post there nao
Depression kind of goes along with not being liked, especially when you ask for help, and don't get it. Remember that, okay? There are people who need someone, even if in a small way. Don't avoid them because of a misunderstanding, them having a bad day, and definitely not because everyone else does it. Even if it's just a fifteen minute conversation about nothing, it might help.

Kargintina
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kargintina » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:13 am

If Scandinavia can have colonies I guess Proto Poland-Lithuania can too?

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:13 am

Danceria wrote:
Reservation

The V O I D wrote:

That has been one of the main objectives of the Imperium for centuries, as they control three of the Five Patriarchs of old, Constantinople, Antioch, and Jerusalem. But reconciling the Orthodox and the Catholic Churches might be extremely difficult.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:14 am

Kargintina wrote:If Scandinavia can have colonies I guess Proto Poland-Lithuania can too?

Proto-Poland-Lithuania would be in a pretty bad situation however, sandwiched between Germania, the Huns, and Ruthenia/Novgorod

Seinlo
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Seinlo » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:14 am

Tracian Empire wrote:
Seinlo wrote:

As long as you understand the unreliability of mercenaries.

They're not going to go rogue any time soon (STAY AWAY DISSIDENT-CAUSERS), but, yes, they won't always follow the rules...

Danceria
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Danceria » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:15 am

Tracian Empire wrote:
Danceria wrote:
Reservation

That has been one of the main objectives of the Imperium for centuries, as they control three of the Five Patriarchs of old, Constantinople, Antioch, and Jerusalem. But reconciling the Orthodox and the Catholic Churches might be extremely difficult.

Catholicism has now become varying degrees of paganism.

Also, how are you dealing with the Iconoclasts?
Tracian Empire wrote:
Kargintina wrote:If Scandinavia can have colonies I guess Proto Poland-Lithuania can too?

Proto-Poland-Lithuania would be in a pretty bad situation however, sandwiched between Germania, the Huns, and Ruthenia/Novgorod

But tied to the Norse-odox due to House Vasa.
It is my sole purpose in life to offend you and get you to think about your convictions due to this
“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” - Sir Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of Great Britain.
Obligatory Quotes below
“Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind; and therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.” - William Shakespeare.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.” - Thomas Jefferson

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection.” - Thomas Paine

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:16 am

Seinlo wrote:
Tracian Empire wrote:As long as you understand the unreliability of mercenaries.

They're not going to go rogue any time soon (STAY AWAY DISSIDENT-CAUSERS), but, yes, they won't always follow the rules...

They're going to go rogue at the first moment someone pays them better or you lose.

Trust me, look at the Byzantines IRL.

The V O I D
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 13, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The V O I D » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:16 am

Danceria wrote:
The V O I D wrote:

No clue. Depends on what faction ends up winning the war.

Unless Empress Antonia Valentina marries into Eastern Rome somehow and asks their Emperor to invade and restore order for her as a last-ditch effort to stop the Italian Empire from falling apart completely.

But not sure if that'd happen.

Tracian Empire wrote:
The V O I D wrote:

The Imperator can choose any of his children to be the next Emperor or Empress, but what's important is that only purple born princes or princesses qualify for it. And yes, usually the first son has been the one to be always selected. But dynastic changes have happened in the past, like when the power passed from the Commnenos Dynasty to the Palaeologos Dynasty in 1204, and Empresses have ruled the Imperium in the past.

Well, she can certainly visit Constantinople or my Emperor could visit Rome as soon as the roleplay starts. The Imperium may be convinced to help her, and that would certainly help her in the conflict. As a Caesaropapist Monarchy, the Romans can't exactly support any of the other possible factions openly.

Quite interesting way of succession indeed...

And, yeah, I feel like the Emperor of Eastern Rome should visit Italian Rome to congratulate Antonia when she becomes Empress IC-wise. I plan for that to happen around 3-5 years from IC start in IC time (he dies of mysterious ailment), which would make Antonia 19-21 years old when she ascends to the throne (roughly as old as her father was, ironically!).

Kargintina
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kargintina » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:16 am

Tracian Empire wrote:

We could easily make friends to protect ourselves.

Waztaskio
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 09, 2013
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Waztaskio » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:17 am

Full Nation Name : French Federative Socialist Republic (Commune of France.)
Majority/Official Culture : French
Territorial Core : Mainland France
Territorial Claim : None.
Capital City : Paris
Population : 50,067,094

Government Type : Federal Delescluzist One Party Socialist State
Government Ideology/Policies : N/A
Government Focus : Economy, Legitimacy, Culture.
Head of State : Chairman of the Executive Committee of the French People's Congress Jules Guesde
Head of Government : Premier of the French Commune Louis Charles Delescluze
Government Description : The Government of the Commune of France is divided into a Legislative, Judicial, and Executive Branch with all three being subjective to the Legislative. The Legislative is known as the French People's Congress, composed of two houses. The Commune of the Union, composed of 126 voting members and the Commune of Regions composed of 26 voting members appointed by regional government councils, who both appoints the Chairman of the Executive Committee, Premier of the French Commune, and the appointment of Supreme Court Justices and convenes once every 5 years unless called for a special session. The Revolutionary Committee functioned as a congress of appointed representatives to handle oversight of the state when the Congress was not in session. The Revolutionary Committee is headed by the Premier, and is responsible for the establishment of the ideals of both of French Revolution and the establishment of the state in accordance with socialist principles. It holds the power to issue laws, create ministries, oversee policies, call for impeachment of the Chairman, and serve as general oversight and review of the French government. Governed by the National Republican Party, ran by the Premier.

Majority/State Religion : Majority Protestant, however no official state religion.
Religious Description : N/A

Economic Ideologies : Socialism
Major Production : Agriculture, Finance, Manufacturing
Economic Description : The French Commune is an industrial powerhouse, with agriculture elements still existing in many regions as well. With urbanization at an all time high, many labor jobs by unskilled workers have been taken leading to a development of railroads and other industrial goods to service the french worker. The economy is mainly overseen by the Regional Councils, who invest in certain industries in order to encourage growth in areas most needed which has lead to many new industries taking hold and expanding the french economy.

Army Strength : Composed of 300,000 men who are well equipped, well trained, and have good leadership. Divided into the French Army, and French National Guard. With the French Army holding 210,000 and the National Guard holding 90,000.
Army Weakness : Rather small compared to other European armies, and suffers from low morale due to their recent leadership changes and loss of colonies.
Naval Strength : 49 Ironclads of which 14 were Frigates capable of 14 knots and mounting 24 guns, 9 Corvettes armed with 16cm and 19cm ordnance. And 26 Ship of the Lines. Very strong navy with good armament, and naval doctrine.
Naval Weakness : Lack of Naval Officers following the Communes Establishment.
Further Military Description : The French Armed Forces is under the control of The Revolutionary Committee, placing the general leadership of the military under the Premier in an operational capacity, but recognizes the Chairman as the de jure commander in chief. The military is split between the French Army, French National Guard, French Marines, and the French Navy all being placed into a Ministry of Defence underneath the Revolutionary Committee.

National Goals : Encourage the spread of socialist thought across the world. (World Revolution!)
National Issues : Internal Political Stability (Infighting between factions), and External Security.
National Figures of Interest : Jules Guesde is the first, due to him being a main figure behind the commune movement. With his writings ushering french socialist ideals and his propaganda spread amongst the workers, makes him invaluable among keeping the social movement alive. Charles Delescluze, the Premier of the state was known for his militancy in dealing with the old regime and the official enforcer and leader of the National Republican Party (NRP). Also known for instituting Delescluzism, which is a mix between economic socialism combined with elements of capitalism to allow for the government to have a decentralized role in economics, by instead of fully controlling the large business entities, but instead granting certain bonuses and privileges to certain industries and promoting investment, while allowing other industries to develop on their own. However, regulation is pressed on all business entities throughout france, and the rights of the public worker are always taken into account before the rights of business owners. Paul Lafargue, advocates for a more Marxist State and is popular with the younger elements of the National Republican Party, advocating for a vanguard and advancement of a Marxist State. Believes the current state is to moderate. Louis Auguste Blanqui, advocating for Blanquism which advocates that socialist revolution should be carried out by a relatively small group of highly organised and secretive conspirators. Popular in France with certain intellectuals, but not anywhere else.
National Ambition/Aspirations : World Socialist Revolution.

History :
  • May 5th, 1789 - 9th November 1799 - French Revolution begins, throughout the period socialist movements begin to spring up in support of the ideas of Liberty, Equality, and Fraternity. Creation of the French Council of Socialist, with membership growing due to popularity achieved during this period.
  • November 9th 1799 - April 6, 1814 - Napoleon Bonaparte's coup is supported by the French Council of Socialist, with many in the council serving in various low government positions within napoleons government during this time.
  • July 8th 1815 - September 16th 1836 - French Council of Socialist begins to be target Louis XVIII after the reestablishment of a monarchy. Establishing printing presses to publish anti-monarchist propaganda, and printing the new government as a puppet of other European powers. This soon lead to a campaign of violence across France with Anti-Monarchist and Pro-Napoleon forces engaging in violence against Pro-Monarchist and Anti-Napoleon forces.
  • 1836-1848 - During these years, the French Council of Socialist began to take part in a more bloody campaign against the Pro-Monarchist and Anti-Napoleon forces which they called the "White Forces." And the White Forces began calling the other the "Red Forces." Over the years, these groups engaged in various violent actions with killings and arson taking place on all sides. Eventually, the Red Forces won out by assisting Napoleon III into proclaiming a French Second Republic, and appointing various leaders of the French Council of Socialist to important positions.
  • 1848-1864 - During these years, the French Council of Socialist continued to grow and Napoleon III set up the second French Empire. During these times, Louis Charles Delescluze began to rally up political capital in the French Council of Socialist and officially split the council by establishing his own National Republican Party. The party was not a collection of various socialist ideologies like the old French Council of Socialist, but rather a party advocating a particular type of socialism spoke and written by Delescluze. He was later joined by young writer Jules Guesde and Paul Lafargue, which lead to his stance becoming super popular all throughout france. In 1866, the National Republican Party stormed into parliment, declaring that the Second French Empire no longer served the interests of France and that the National Republican Party shall guide the nation. The NRP were supported by the French National Guard, and a majority of the french working class.
  • 1864-1865 - Napoleon III, ordered the French Army to begin to arrests the leaders of the coup and attempted to remain in control. This lead to a short, but bloody civil war spanning over 300,000 causalities, leading to the trial and execution of Napoleon III by the conspirators. The French Federative Socialist Republic was officially declared during this time.
  • 1865-1867 - The French Federative Socialist Republic ended a number of practices of the old french regime, and instituted the new ideology of Delescluzism throughout France. Many old land owners were replaced, and leadership in the French Navy was put on trial and executed. This period was known as "The Transformation of French Society and Customs." And lead to France not only successfully transitioning into a socialist country, but also maintaining the successes of the French Revolution that was fought for years ago.
  • 1867-1870 - The French Federative Socialist Republic begins an official campaign to legitimize itself in French Society. Founding new newspapers, councils, and committees to raise support for the new republic.

Comparison Points – Political : 3
Comparison Points – Cultural/Religious : 2
Comparison Points – Economy : 3
Comparison Points – Military : 2
Total Comparison Points used (10 Points MAX) : 10/10
Last edited by Waztaskio on Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:17 am

Danceria wrote:
Tracian Empire wrote:That has been one of the main objectives of the Imperium for centuries, as they control three of the Five Patriarchs of old, Constantinople, Antioch, and Jerusalem. But reconciling the Orthodox and the Catholic Churches might be extremely difficult.

Catholicism has now become varying degrees of paganism.

Tracian Empire wrote:Proto-Poland-Lithuania would be in a pretty bad situation however, sandwiched between Germania, the Huns, and Ruthenia/Novgorod

Iconoclasm was still destroyed as in real life.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:18 am

Kargintina wrote:
Tracian Empire wrote:Proto-Poland-Lithuania would be in a pretty bad situation however, sandwiched between Germania, the Huns, and Ruthenia/Novgorod

That still doesn't put such a state into an exactly good position to have colonies.

Danceria
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Danceria » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:18 am

Kargintina wrote:

Good luck.
Tracian Empire wrote:
Danceria wrote:Catholicism has now become varying degrees of paganism.

Iconoclasm was still destroyed as in real life.

But I have a feeling it will be a recurring issue, due to, y'know, pagan idols being erected over half of Europe.
Obligatory Quotes below

Kargintina
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kargintina » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:19 am

Tracian Empire wrote:
Kargintina wrote:We could easily make friends to protect ourselves.

That still doesn't put such a state into an exactly good position to have colonies.

Alright

Sanabel
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:20 am

How does Poland-Lithuania work if a yuge chunk of Poland has been reserved as part of that Hapsburg thingy?
The interregnum is over- I am once again the OP of the Land of the Free RP

I am a Radical Centro-Transhumanist and a National Globalist.
If you don't have a high enough IQ to know what those are, then we can't be friends.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:20 am

The V O I D wrote:
Danceria wrote:Restoring the Pentarchy when?

No clue. Depends on what faction ends up winning the war.

Unless Empress Antonia Valentina marries into Eastern Rome somehow and asks their Emperor to invade and restore order for her as a last-ditch effort to stop the Italian Empire from falling apart completely.

But not sure if that'd happen.

Tracian Empire wrote:

Quite interesting way of succession indeed...

And, yeah, I feel like the Emperor of Eastern Rome should visit Italian Rome to congratulate Antonia when she becomes Empress IC-wise. I plan for that to happen around 3-5 years from IC start in IC time (he dies of mysterious ailment), which would make Antonia 19-21 years old when she ascends to the throne (roughly as old as her father was, ironically!).

Pretty similar but better to what the Byzantines had IRL.

It would certainly be interesting. My Emperor would be close to becoming 18 at around when the IC starts, which would make him pretty young.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:20 am

Sanabel wrote:How does Poland-Lithuania work if a yuge chunk of Poland has been reserved as part of that Hapsburg thingy?

No idea, I personally ignored that reservation after seeing the hideous name.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:21 am

Danceria wrote:
Kargintina wrote:We could easily make friends to protect ourselves.

Good luck.
Tracian Empire wrote:Iconoclasm was still destroyed as in real life.

But I have a feeling it will be a recurring issue, due to, y'know, pagan idols being erected over half of Europe.

Not necessarily in the Roman Orthodox Church. It has pretty strong views on what's good and bad from a theological point of view.

Seinlo
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Seinlo » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:22 am

Seinlo wrote:
Pre-Application Credits: Danceria played a massive part in helping me come up with this, and I actually have screenshots of stuff I hope makes it into the app, since it’s all really awesome. I was also helped out a lot by the rest of the members, and would like to mention Sanabel and Thrace. This isn’t my best app, but I can assure you that it is certainly my post unique.

Full Nation Name: The Empire of Rasuli-Ghor, AKA the Sultanate of Yemen and the Ghurid Kingdom
Majority/Official Culture: Most consider themselves Arabian, the Persian-descended ‘Ghurid Muslims’, or a combination of Arabian, ‘Ghurid Muslim’ and some other culture; there is a cultural continuum similar to a dialect continuum, but different in that Madagascar’s culture is about as severe as the differences get (except for those causing rebellions), and there are many shared traits between the cultures
Map: This. In case it’s not on the map, I have colonies in the African Great Lakes, the Chagos archipelago, the Seychelles archipelago, Mauritius, the Kuria Muria island, Masira island, and Reuinion island. Madagascar also includes Mayotte and the Comoros. I tried to make it so that the Ghurid Kingdom was large enough to offer something to the Rasulid dynasty, but small enough that it was reasonable.
Territorial Core: Yemen, Oman, Socotra island, modern Saudi Arabia, modern U.A.E., modern Bahrain, modern Qatarn, PARTS OF modern Pakistan/whatever else makes up the Kingdom of Ghurid
Territorial Claim: Very strong presences in the Horn of Africa (Eritrea, Djibouti, Somalia, Ethiopia), with prominent settlements in Zanzibar (parts of Somalia, Kenya, Tanzania, Malawi, Mozambique, and Burundi), Reunion island, Kuria Muria island, Masira island, the Seychelles archipelago, the Chagos archipelago, Mauritius and colonies in the African Great Lakes
Capital City: Sana’a, Yemen and Quetta, the Ghurid Kingdom
Population: 22,885,700 without Ethiopia and the Ghurid Kingdom, 32,320,700 with Ethiopia and without the Ghurid Kingdom, 32,712,000 with the Ghurid Kingdom and without Ethiopia, 42,147,600 with both

Government Type: Absolutist monarchy accompanied by a rights-granting charter that only the Sultan isn’t required to follow, and democratic- and republican-leaning tendencies in some areas
Government Ideology/Policies: Non-militant expansionism that sometimes escalates into militant expansionism or even imperialism. Many members of society have nationalism or patriotism of some sort for the Sultanate of Yemen in their hearts, but there are some who take it to the extreme and express chauvinism. There are small rebellions however, and not everyone reacts with anger, pointing to the fact that nationalism and patriotism isn’t as important to some people as it is to others (while many have nationalistic or patriotic views, some are less pronounced in their beliefs).
Government Focus: The economy and culture are the largest focuses, but the military is strong as a result of heavy funding, extensive training, closely held ideals, and a mercenary/privateer force working aside them
Head of State: Sultan Al-Afdal Al-Abbas II of the Rasulid-Ghurid Dynasty, Sovereign of the Ghurid Kingdom, Caliph of All Islam
Head of Government: Sultan Al-Afdal Al-Abbas II of the Rasulid-Ghurid Dynasty, Sovereign of the Ghurid Kingdom, Caliph of All Islam
Government Description: The Sultan is the absolute ruler, possessing widespread executive powers. A rights-granting charter, a combination of secular and Roman law, and his Cabinet of Yemen and the Ghurid Kingdom (the Council of Ministers; it is over double the size it is IRL, as there are Sultan-elected representatives of several areas) aid greatly in his rule. The Sultan sits in on all meetings held by the nation’s parliament, and has final say and veto powers on all laws passed in the nation (and for rules/laws passed on a scale smaller than nation-wide, he is given reports; these laws will probably never contradict the main law, however). The parliament is made up of the upper house elected by the Sultan (the Council of State of Yemen and the Ghurid Kingdom), and the democratically elected lower house (Consultative Assembly, which is also over twice the size it is IRL). The public is well aware of the fact that the Sultan has and will waive constitutional rights, and respects this as he is the only one capable of doing so. Other parts of the government exist, such as a bureaucracy of non-elected and elected officials, and smaller components such as the rulers of a city.

The country is known for possessing very open foreign and trade policies, as well as an open mind when it comes to negotiations, for the most part. These traits most likely arose due to the increased threat posed by technologically advanced neighbors or economic rivals, but they have led to a bustling economy with free trade (of course, tariffs and taxes still apply), stock markets in all major cities and economic centers, beneficial land ownership laws, smooth operation, and other attributes that make the Sultanate exciting for domestic and international traders alike.

The Sultanate of Yemen is divided into governorates (Muhafazah) as first-order administration, then provinces (Wiliyat), then districts (Kaza), then the subdistricts (the equivalent of counties) (Nahiyah), and then finally into municipalities, a concept embraced because of exposure to Westerners. The colonies are called dominions, but Yemen is closer to to its dominions than the real life British Empire was. The type of leader for each will be as follows: governor for the governorates, mutasariff for the provinces, kaimakam for districts (the military rank of kaimakam has been replaced by the title yarbay), a mudir for subdistricts, and mayors for municipalities. Each leader of the governorates and provinces will have secretaries for finance, agriculture and commerce, interaction with foreigners, public works, and correspondence and archives, while those of smaller divisions will have similar staff, and for many of these there is an executive council.

Majority/State Religion: The Arabian Agglomeration
Religious Description: Not given a single-word name like so many other religions, mostly because it hasn’t been given an official name, the so-called Arabian Agglomeration is the same agglomeration as the most widely held culture in the Sultanate of Yemen and its territories. While it may differ from region to region in some areas, and has its strongest presence in Yemen’s territorial core (Madagascar is in the territorial core, but expresses a combination of Malagasy beliefs and those that go along with the Arabian Agglomeration, which has seeped into the African territories it is close to), it is mostly Arabic/Sunni Muslim influenced by Sufism, and blended with Persian, Somali, Abyssinian, and Swahili beliefs, as is the rest of the culture.

Economic Ideologies: Mixed market, with a focus on not creating social disorder through wage gaps, and, like much of the Middle East did, extending the ruler’s power, and in some way becoming wealthy through making the working/productive classes more prosperous. Please note that they also make use of tactics other than the one mentioned, and are in no way limited to that one tactic.
Major Production: Agricultural goods, mineral products (including moderate iron production as a result of iron mines), and high-quality textile goods
Economic Description: With the adoption of highly efficient and generally very open economic policies that generate much wealth for the Sultanate, the embracement of Roman law, aqueducting, and other customs of the “West” (yes, this is essentially word for word what Danceria suggested, though I edited it some), as well as having algebra and other things while Europe was rather primitive in nature (this one is more ancient, but it still influenced the present Sultanate of Yemen and the Ghurid Kingdom), the Sultanate of Yemen and the Ghurid Kingdom has become an extremely wealthy mercantile nation. It is semi-industrialized, possessing a well-invested textile industry, more modernized mining, manufacturing, and other such things than those without any industrialization, and it possesses extensive railroad and telegraph networks built by contracting industrialized Western nations. It isn’t uncommon for a decent percentage of the GDP to come from renting out privateer and mercenary guilds, many of which operate independently of the Sultanate, but rely on the Sultanate to provide them jobs, with contracts existing regarding what jobs they can take, with benefits such as serving the Sultanate of Yemen and the Ghurid Kingdom and finding a safe-haven there (as long as they follow the laws).

Army Strength: The national army and mercenary corps are well-funded and disciplined (leaving them with possession of modern weaponry (about 1870 level), the common use of effective indirect fire with artillery, and having sound tactics)
Army Weakness: Many of the numbers come from the mercenary corps, and the army is pretty average outside of their funding and discipline. They aren’t very special; they are unique from other armies, as a result of culture and some differences in how things are done, but
Naval Strength: The national navy and privateer corps are Incredibly well-funded and disciplined (leaving them with steam-assisted vessels, in possession of a significant amount of smaller vessels that they frequently put together in flotillas that are part of larger groups meant to overwhelm larger vessels, and they have access to shell guns) possess a significant amount of smaller vessels that they frequently use in swarms, and they have access to shell guns
Naval Weakness: Less sophisticated than most major rivals (they are about 1860-1870 level, but Oriental and Western European rivals, which are pretty plentiful, are 10 to 20 years ahead), lagging behind in research for ironclads when compared to the likes of Rome, and, like the army, they are pretty average outside of their funding and discipline
Further Military Description: Aside from the national army and navy, there exist the ground-based mercenary corps, the privateer fleets, and the so-called ‘fortress defenders’. The national army has 225,000 regular soldiers from every corner of the Sultanate, not counting those in the Communications, Medical, Engineering, or other auxiliary corps; it can also levy en masse fairly easily. The mercenary corps adds over 400,000 men to the standard force, which brings it to above 1% of the population, but the wealth of the Sultanate of Yemen more than makes up for this, and it is necessary because of the threat posed by extremely powerful neighbors and rivals. The mercenary corps are largely Somali/Abyssinian/Ghurid mercenaries, and investment has led to a healthy industry of renting out l mercenaries to those in the Indian Ocean, with numbers outside of the active 400,000 available for being rented out. ‘fortress defenders’ are regular officers with less training than the national army meant to bolster the defenses of fortifications and military bases, all of which have been trained well in defending their charges. There also exists the policing force that is state-funded; they are efficient, well-funded, and well-trained, but I don’t need to give numbers for them because they operate almost entirely on a domestic basis unless there is a very significant national emergency that calls for the use of something so integral to peace within the Sultanate of Yemen. The national navy has 81 ships-of-the-line (all at or above third-rate on the RL British Empire’s rating system), 102 great frigates, 273 frigates, and numerous corvettes, sloops-of-war, and support or auxiliary vessels (including bomb ships [ships equipped with mortars, which are still used, but not as much as they used to be because of the advent of effective shell guns], transport vessels, tenders, hospital ships, and a very sizable merchant fleet). The privateer navy, which operates largely in the Indian Ocean and has also been leveraged into a force that can be recruited out, has numbers eclipsing the national navy, but they are generally smaller vessels, and only larger privateer organizations of epic status operate anything like a first-rate (I think I will have one or two of these organizations). In training, there is a focus on loyalty, valor, honor, camaraderie, and similar traits. About 50,000 of the state-operated army has been trained since childhood, but the rest are soldiers that underwent standard Yemeni training, and they are also held to a certain level of expectation.

National Goals: Overall, they wish to make sure that Islam survives, even if it isn’t pure Islam anymore. They wish to become independent of imports of coal and other industrial materials, and also to have the ability to become independent of Western firms, but not necessarily to abandon their contracts with them.
National Issues: Natural resources (such as coal, and such for steel and, oh, I dunno, an actual industrial revolution), the lagging behind their rivals, certain regional alliances (getting rid of them is out of the question, so cozying up to them is more likely), highly efficient and sophisticated competition from Western Europe and the Oriental nations, ‘rebel’ groups of pirates that refused becoming a privateer guild in the Empire. There are “small” (by small, I mean moderately sized. They’re not super dangerous, and my nation isn’t falling apart as they are generally geographically separated, but there is one particular force that poses a threat to legitimacy) rebellions (HERESIES!) taking place because of the Ibadi tribes of Oman, while Orthodox and other missionaries travel from South Africa and the Mediterranean, trying to convert my people. The Gulf of Persia leads to Zoroastrian missionaries entering the Empire’s heartland. The travels of missionaries result in odd variations and combinations of religions seeking peace to form. Then there are the Solomonists, who have been around since the 1600s (possibly longer), which pose the most dangerous threat to the Sultanate of Yemen and the Ghurid Kingdom, as they are a politically adept religious organization based in the Horn of Africa that has a leader who claims to be descended from both the Prophet Mohammed and King Solomon, endangering the dynasty’s control of the Red Sea.
National Ambition/Aspirations: To become more sophisticated, self-sustaining, and less fearful than they are now. They envision a much more prosperous nation, and this is idealized in things like the painting of lush, but still metaphorical and somewhat abstract landscapes of Arabia (the lushness is a metaphor for what they want the nation to become, and the abstract styles slowly formed as people started introducing ways to prevent them for being mistaken for actual landscapes), which adds to the affluent, ambitious, but ultimately unsatisfied cultural identity seen in the Rasuli-Ghor.

History:

• Before 1096: As per real life, there was a massive spread of Islam, but it did not reach far past the Yazd province of present day Iran, and found more of a home in the western and southern areas of Africa. Shia-Sunni infighting devastated the Muslim nations, and left them much more open to attack by the incredibly powerful Roman-Persian alliance later down the road, for the Zoroastrians to take control of Persia, and for a number of other important matters to occur.
  • 1096: The Crusades begin
  • 1098: The states of Yemen and Oman form a personal union
  • 1229: Rasulid Dynasty is founded by Umar ibn Rasul, conquests begin
  • 1234: The Muslim Kingdoms of the Horn of Africa begin sending their sons to Yemen and Oman to study, bringing people and military support to the Rasuli-Ghor Empire. This would dampen the blows that the Ninth Crusade would later inflict upon the Empire.
  • 1271-1272: The Ninth Crusade occurs, with the Empire of Rasuli suffering, but recovering to its former levels within a decade.
  • 1278: Recovery from the Ninth Crusade nears completion
  • 1298: Plagues sweep through the Empire, ending another short-lived era of prosperity.
  • 1331: The Empire begins marrying off the sons and daughters of the House of Rasulid, making use of the close alliances they held with the Muslim Kingdoms of the Horn of Africa, and they take advantage of their alliances. Over time, the Muslim Kingdoms would become more subservient, and eventually be absorbed.
  • 1349: The Sultanate begins to make attempts to acquire control of regional rulers in the Ghurid Kingdom.
  • 1441: Extinguishment of major rebellions, ushering in a new era of peace under the Rasulid dynasty within the state, and preventing the fall of the Rasulid dynasty in 1454
  • 1442: The defeat of Egypt in the Red Sea leads to total control over the Hejaz, leading to an era of both peace and prosperity, and leaving the Rasulid dynasty rulers of a nation now seen as the rightful successor to the world’s former Muslim Caliphates.
  • 1445: The Sultan dies, and the first Sultana of the state rises to prominence as a result of strange circumstance, and a devastated royal family. She makes sweeping reforms, and changes the Sultanate’s views of women, as well as how foreign and economic policy was handled, with the focus on slavery being shifted to the Sultana’s hope of abolishing slavery. Her actions would also insure the survival of the Rasulid dynasty.
  • 1465: The Almulahhimi Sultana is assassinated, the perpetrator escaping. It becomes a day of mourning in the Yemeni state.
  • 1545: The First Century Anniversary of the Almulahhimi Sultana ascendance sees the abolition of Sharia law, and the implementation of a combination of Roman law and some secular ideals. The descendants of the Almulahhimi Sultana had gathered their allies, both foreign and domestic, and prevented any major uprisings from occurring, efforts that were almost certainly aided by the development of the Empire’s more peaceful, open-minded agglomerate culture.
  • 1577: The first mercenary guild is established.
  • 1583: The first privateer guild is established. While independent from the state, it had agreed to certain things in exchange for being served first, a decent amount of pay, and a safe-haven in the empire, much of which had also been granted to the first mercenary guild back in 1577.
  • 1610:: The Ghurid Kingdom enters a personal union with the Sultanate of Yemen, resulting in the short lived Union of Yemen, Oman, and the Ghurid Kingdom
  • 1612: 13 members of the soon-to-be-unified Houses of Rasulid and Ghurid are killed during a pirate attack on a small flotilla. The escort flotilla was the only one available because of a shortage of vessels due to combating the pirates. Afterwards, they put their privateer guilds and remaining state-operated vessels into override, calling upon what allies they could find in the matter of dealing with pirates in the Indian Ocean, and managing to convince many of them to become privateer guilds, though they were to undergo a period of not attacking certain powers that aided them for quite some time (over a century, actually. It was the only way that the Empire could convince other states to continue to aid them once they realized what the Empire wanted to do), but there were also many others that rebelled, and pirates still terrorize the Indian Ocean because of that.
  • 1614: The first child of the House of Rasulid-Ghurid is born, and both former houses complete their unification process. This marks the ‘end’ of the centuries old House of Rasulid.
  • 1620: Several children have been born as a result of the personal union between Yemen and the Ghurid Kingdom 6 years ago.
  • 1622: The Sultanate of Oman is dissolved, and becomes a governorate of the Sultanate of Yemen. With the leader of both states being the same, and Oman not having been ruled by a separate Sultan for over a century, as well as quiet efforts to prepare for the dissolving of Oman as a separate state, the Union of Yemen, Oman, and the Ghurid Kingdom was no more, and born was the Sultanate of Yemen and the Ghurid Kingdom.
  • 1630: Conquests along the eastern coast of Africa take place
  • 1667: The first Solomonist rebellion breaks out in Ethiopia, marking the beginning of the most dangerous dissident threat to the Empire.
  • 1712: The state’s agreement not to use privateer guilds against certain nations ends. The state does not yet change their use of the privateer guilds.
  • 1713: The Rasulid-Ghurid dynasty quickly rises to prominence, controlling trade and ports in southeast Africa and several other areas of the Indian Ocean, which wouldn’t be broken any time soon.
  • 1719: In the Ghurid Kingdom and surrounding territories, large movements are made to the coastal settlements, perhaps because of threats posed by the Persians.
  • 1767: The second Solomonist rebellion breaks out in Ethiopia.
  • 1842: The Sultanate makes contact with several Western firms, hoping to come to agreement on the construction of extensive networks of railways and telegraph lines, as well as education on how to manage them, and future aid in maintenance.
  • 1845: First shell gun reaches the Sultanate of Yemen and the Ghurid Kingdom
  • 1850: A Solomonist rebellion breaks out in Ethiopia.
  • 1854: After nearly a decade of development, a more sophisticated shell gun is produced by the Imperial Arsenal’s research and development branch.
  • 1867: The Empire reaches an economic and military level of development that they, for some reason, see as a cause for celebration, marking a day that would forever include falling asleep in a drunken stupor. Still, the population is not completely satisfied with the nation as it is.
  • 1870: Modern day

Comparison Points – Political: 2.5
Comparison Points – Cultural/Religious: 2.5
Comparison Points – Economy: 3
Comparison Points – Military: 2
Total Comparison Points used (10 Points MAX): 10/10

Here's my app again. Thrace, it's had an actual map on it. If you had looked lower than you did, you would have found it, so there it is closer to the top.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse