NATION

PASSWORD

A Flash of Light: 1760 [AH, OOC]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Alleniana
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 23, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Alleniana » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:37 pm

New Granadeseret wrote:
Alleniana wrote:http://en.academic.ru/pictures/enwiki/82/Riodelaplatabasinmap.png southern half of this is what I meant but realistically the borders are fuzzy anyway; you get the general idea

Not really possible due to Brandeburger and Swedish claims of the river mouth.

I am Brandenburg :p

Conchabira
Minister

Founded: Oct 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Conchabira » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:38 pm

New Granadeseret wrote:A (Semi-accurate) Map of Claims, as they stand in the OP list

Points of Note
1. Colonization claims given on the basis of highest reservations have claims settled first.
2. Not all lines are smoothed out.
3. Dutch are not on there, due to not knowing if just normal Dutch or all Neatherlands. English colonial claims not on there because not specified.
4. Polish-Tartar claims ignored do to confusion with PM'd Polish reservation.
5. China troubles me, due to its overwhelming population advantage over literally everybody else on earth.

What about my New Sweden?

The imperial canadian dutchy
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The imperial canadian dutchy » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:40 pm

Full name of state:L'Impero Romano/Romania
Type of government (absolutist monarchy, republic):
Confederate Classical Republic, Headed by the Absolute Monarchy
Capital: Rome, Citta Liberta Romana
Head of state:
L'Imperatore d'Italia, Principe di Venezia, Re di Lombardia, Re D'Italia Meridionale,Principe di Firenze, Primo Cittadino di Roma, Difensore della Fede Cattolica, Marchesse della Mezzogiorno: SMIC. Cesare IV Augusto V. Borghia-Colonna
Head of government:
Consiglio dei Principi:
Duce della Consiglio: Gianfranco "Il Leone di Pietro" Sforza

General government description:

The Government of Romania is considered a Confederate Classical Republic headed by the Imperator in Rome, and is an example of mixed government. The highest authority in the Empire is theoretically the Christian God who is considered the source of all authority below it, either by all men being created by God or by the blessing of the divine upon the House of Borghia-Colonna. Following God almighty the position of the Imperator holds a large amount of power, being in direct command of the military as well as being needed for all laws to be passed in the senate
Territory (map if needed):Map
Colonies:
As seen on TV The Map
Population (metropolitan and colonial separate if required):
14.7 Mainland Italian Citizens
2 Million Citizens in the American Colonies
Indighini di Colonia: 2 million
Economic description:

Religious description (by class):
|Il Nobili|
The Nobles are Conservative Roman Catholics, not nearly as strict as the peasants nor as liberal and sometimes heretical as the Merchants.
|Cittadini|
Citizens, being urbanites are much more varied in Religion, although so massively 90% Catholic, there tend to be more variance in practice. For example some Civil cults have arisen due to the Romantic Patriotism held as ideology by the educated portion of the Bourgeoisie. However more common than that slight heresy is the remaning Waldensians in the far north of the old Duchy of Savoy where they continue their despicable heresy.
|I Contadini|
The Peasantry are very strict Roman Catholics, following all the sacraments. There is not much to say here.
|Il Indigneo|
The Indigenous population of Romanian colonies are divided religiously. Because of the location of the colonies, a large majority of colonial peoples follow Hinduism of the Vaishnavist sect. However there are around 20% of Islamic citizens, who perhaps out of all groups are treated as less than slaves by the Roman Catholic population often in a misguided attack against the enemies of the ROmanian State. Hindu's are treated as Idolators, but tolerable as the state has no qualms with any Hindu powers, and they do not fear them acting as a fifth column. The remaining percentages of Indigenous peoples are Roman Catholic, thanks to the efforts of the Venetian Inquisition and the diligent missionary efforts.
Popular ideologies and political beliefs (by class):
|I Nobili|
The nobles of Romania are extremely reactionary. Despite the best efforts of the Monarchy and the Senate the Nobles cling to quite a bit of power due to the con-federal nature of Romania. Often times Nobles of the territory would often engage in Nepotistic behavior in regards to elections. The Nobility are typically conservative in outlook, looking out to preserve their own power of their holdings, in the face of ever growing State power. Tend to be for Mercantilism.
|Il Clero|
The Clergy in the sense of the classes are extremely powerful, not only due to the standard power of the Catholic church, but also due to the extreme concentration of the clergy in Roman territories. The Clergy's power also stems from the extreme religiousity of the Roman population which maintains the state to give at least a tad bit of credence to the clergy. However unlike France of this time the Clergy does not hold official power in the state other than adminitrators of Sacraments and officers of Inquisition and the State Religion. Are extremely for the military efforts to purge islam from all of Europe, and frequently give Sermons against the Mohammedeans
|I Cittadini|
The Citizens who form the bulk of the Urban populations are perhaps the most radical political class in the Empire. Because of the high education of the upper bracket of this group, some have started to embrace the new ideas of the Enlightenment, whereas some in this same group are adopting a radical form of Romanistic Idealism, creating a sort Patriotic worship of the New Empire, of the rebirth of Roman ideas it has provided. But in general summary The Citizenry are in three words Patriotic, Liberals, Rationalists.
|I Contadini|
The Contadini or peasants are generally for what the usual poor are for, Tradition, Faith and getting food on the table. They in the current state of the Empire and Confederation are very much in favour of the decentralized nature of the Empire currently. They also tend to be more in favour of mercantilism as Free trade generally benefits Merchants more then anyone else. The peasants are generally very firm in their Catholic beliefs only matched by the clergy in their conservatism. The lowest of the peasants are probably the most for for the person of the Emperor however, often prone to forming pseudo cults to Great emperors, such as Cesare I Borghia.
Military description:
The Military of Romania is heavily organized focused on discipline and ambush tactics due to the nature of the initial military reforms of Cesare I in his mountainous base. The army makes good use of artillery of which the manufactureies of Northern Italy make in plentiful amounts. The Legions are especially notable for being a place where a basic education can be acquired, for every Legionary is taught how to read and write in Alighieri's Italian and officers Latin, This is for the method of proper communications. The equipment of the Legions vary depending on the state of which they come from, for example Venetian troops are better armed than Parman troops. Taking in the previous to mind, the military structure and recruitment of men for the legions is based off of the Pre-Confederacy princedoms with the former nobles often acting as marshals and legate in those areas.
Strengths and weaknesses of the military:
+Good Communications
+Discipline
+Flexibility of Terrain
-Localism
-Nepotism in more feudalistic regions
-Mixed bag equipment

General aims (territorial, etc):
-Unification of all Italic peoples
--Remove the Half Moors of Spain from our Sacred land
--Removal of the actual moors
-Expansion of Romanian Colonial power
--Harassment tactics of Muslim America
-Destruction of Islam in Europe
--Usage of the Venetian Inquisition
-Removal of Judeo-Islamic peoples of Southern Italy
Foreign Policy:
-Friendly-
France
-Indifferent-
Swabia, Bohemia, Brandenburg
-Unfriendly-
Spain
-Hostile-
Any Muslims
Non Christians
History:

The History of Romania starts with the reign of it's first illustrious Imperator Cesare Borgia. Cesare Borgia was appointed the March of two of the large territories of the Papal states Spoleto and Marche by his Father the Pope. After he was invested with this power Cesare being an absolutely brilliant strategist began expanding the power of the Papal states in Italy being given a mandate by the King of France to conquer Imola and Forli from independent Princes and of course he did even without the support of the promised French Troops. He returned to Rome in triumph and named a Galfoniere of the Papal states. Following this investiture Cesare I continued in his conquest of Romagna
Last edited by The imperial canadian dutchy on Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:05 am, edited 7 times in total.
e

New Granadeseret
Minister

Founded: Apr 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Granadeseret » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:55 pm

Alleniana wrote:
New Granadeseret wrote:
Not really possible due to Brandeburger and Swedish claims of the river mouth.

I am Brandenburg :p

Sorry. Juggling a lot of stuff in my head at midnight.

Conchabira wrote:
New Granadeseret wrote:A (Semi-accurate) Map of Claims, as they stand in the OP list

Points of Note
1. Colonization claims given on the basis of highest reservations have claims settled first.
3. Dutch are not on there, due to not knowing if just normal Dutch or all Neatherlands. English colonial claims not on there because not specified.
5. China troubles me, due to its overwhelming population advantage over literally everybody else on earth.

What about my New Sweden?

G-tech abandoned his reservation on the 13 colonies too late in the process. Engkandl has first dibs though (I think... Im just the mapper here) but your claim is above Italy's
Stannis was robbed.

Valentir
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Valentir » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:55 pm

Points of Note

I've negotiated Korea with Intermountain States, so the border should be changed to reflect that.

As for the size of the Yuan, my history, which is WIP, will justify it. And remember, something as big as the Yuan will eventually start to give way to unrest and possible civil war. 'hint' 'hint'

The imperial canadian dutchy
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The imperial canadian dutchy » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:00 pm

Valentir wrote:

Points of Note

I've negotiated Korea with Intermountain States, so the border should be changed to reflect that.

As for the size of the Yuan, my history, which is WIP, will justify it. And remember, something as big as the Yuan will eventually start to give way to unrest and possible civil war. 'hint' 'hint'

It's the Valentir kills a Nation episode kek
e

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:10 pm

Full name of State: Gurkani / The Mughal Empire
Type of Government: Absolute Monarchy
Capital: Shahjahanabad, Delhi
Head of State: Khan-Emperor Zahar ibn-Baburha
Head of Government: ^
General Government Description:
Territory: Afghanistan, Pakistan, the rest of India, Indonesia, Malaysia
Colonies: Burma, Thailand
Population: 189,570,000 citizens | approx. 21,000,000 residents

Economic Description: Gurkani is still a highly rural society, with agriculture both accounting for the majority of the income of the Empire and employing most of the populace. Advanced agricultural techniques like terrace farming and high intensity crop rotation agriculture are in widespread use across the lands of the Empire, with New World crops introduced by the Portugeuse like the potato and tobacco being farmed alongside millets, oilseeds, cereals, hemp, chili, sugarcane, cotton, indigo, betel, and other traditional goods. Indigo cultivation is particularly popular in Agra and Gujarat, with Mughal indigo exports being lucrative indeed. Cash crops like silk and cotton feed an immense textile industry that is exported worldwide, mainly to Western markets but also to some of the developing colonies. The spices of the Indian Islands, nutmeg, cloves, and pepper complement the spice trade in saffron and other exotic goods to Europe and beyond. Rice crops, opium, and tea also are major parts of the Mughal economy, with the appetite for tea being fed locally and rice being a staple of the periphery areas of the Empire and the Isles, while opium is carefully regulated for medicinal uses and export to China. On the industrial front the Mughal Empire as one of the gunpowder empires manufactures its own weapons which are generally considered on-par with those of the European powers; bronze cannonade, flintlock weapons, and rocketry are comparably advanced, and domestic production of both iron and manufactured goods has been increased dramatically in the wake of European conquests of the Princely States of the east Indian coast and the breakaway of the treasonous Gajapatis.
Religious Description: The ruling classes of the Empire generally subscribe to the philosophy of Din-i Ilahi which was begun by the Khan-Emperor, Akbar the Great. Within that categorization Islam remains the most common religious class, with Sufis and Sunnis making up a predominance of the wealthy families and great houses though Hindus, Jains, and Nestorian Christians are also represented alongside Buddhist rulers in the periphery.
In the ranks of the merchants and military, Din-i Ilahi sees less credence, being viewed as a method of thought of the upper classes, but still somewhat popular especially amongst those seeking religious advancement. Sufi beliefs are particularly popular amonsgt the merchantile quarters, while Sunni and Hindu religious persuasions are more common in the armed forces. The Isles and those hailing from it are almost exclusively Sunni, though Din-i Ilahi has seen a particularly large hold on the more relaxed Islamic beliefs of the sundered islands and their population.
The peasantry is a mixed bag of many beliefs, with northern India, the Afghan and Pashtun regions of Gurkani being nearly uniformly Sunni Muslim, while the southern reaches of the Empire are of a mixed Hindu-Buddhist tradition which often incorporates tribal animism. Even in these regions though Islam has made inroads, with Sufi beliefs being widely held in even the tiniest of urban settlements and coastal villages.
Ideologies and Politics by Class: The upper classes of the Empire, either due to political or economic connections, tend to favor an aggressive expansion of Mughal lands contingent with what is believed to be the Empire's strength compared to her traditional foes, the Gajapatis and the Princely States. More caution is applied to war in military circles given the European support for the few Princely States not absorbed by the Empire already, but jingoism and Mughal nationalism is on the rise even in the lower classes. As a rule of thumb Mughal society is liberal and forward-looking, an echo of the generations of intellectuals pushed east by the wars in the traditional homelands of Islam, with social mobility treated as sacrosanct along with the freedom to practice one's own beliefs enshrine for two centuries under the spirit of Akbar. Politically there is little appetite for governmental change, with the memories of tribalism and weak Princely States fresh in the collective psyche as a ward against republican sentiments and the good record of the Khan-Emperors as a counter to any agitation.

Military Description: The fundamental unit of the Mughal Army was the mansab, the levy, a reform of the mansabari system put in place by Akbar the Great. Raised from each tract of land of five thousand citizens, as determined by census once every decade, the mansabar was a commander of a hundred soldiers raised from the kaladrin (veterans) and career military families given acreages to live on in each tract. Mansabars receive funds directly for the maintenance of their warriors from the crown, the jirgah distributed by each governor of the provinces. Mansabars were expected to be capable of defending their own lands if attacked for a week and a day against any conceivable force, to allow other forces to be rallied. The Roh was the larger part of the Mughal Army, effectively equivalent to and based off of the European regiment, composing the mansabs of twenty tracts, two thousand men under arms in total. Certain tracts provide cavalrymen and others provide infantry, after their ability and the wealth of their kaladrin to provide steeds and the necessary weapons of a Mughal cavalryman. Cannonade, mortars, rockets and the like were stored at the Roh level of organization in district forts located at either strategic locations or major cities, thick modern star-fortresses designed to withstand revolt indefinitely or siege for months if needed. Armies were composed of Rohs brought together for campaign by the Khan-Emperor or his generals, and generally place a focus on dragoons and cavalry firepower as compared to the European infantry army, a necessary concession to the rough terrain of much of the Mughal Empire. Light cannonade used for formation disruption are often horse-drawn or mounted on trained armored elephants for fire support of cavalry formations, while heavy cannonade and siege-breaker guns are rarely utilized in the modern day though such pieces are accorded respect for their past glories with many being named for their deeds. On the sea the Mughal Fleet reflects a different design philosophy than most European vessels; though large and well-armed, most seagoing craft are less capable of extended operations than European counterparts, relying on frequent resupply and lacking comparable seaworthiness. They do, however, tend to out-gun rivals and possess a speed that European captains find alarming, for most Mughal frigates built after the European style and even traditional war-dhows carry far less supplies than analogous vessels. The Mughal Navy concentrates on the defense of the Isles, controlling the Straits of the South China Sea, and defending the coast of India against both pirates and privateers to keep the trade routes open.
Strengths and Weaknesses of the military:
+Numerous; perhaps the second largest military on the planet, the Khan-Emperor's armed forces have no lack of bodies to smother fires with, though Mughal doctrine does not generally exploit this fact. On the sea the Mughal Fleet is formidable in terms of raw numbers.
+Organized; marshaled along traditional lines established for centuries, the Mughal soldier knows who he serves and how he fights at any time far better than most non-professional armies.
+Modern; the gunpowder and weapons of the Mughal Army are up to date and effective, in some ways better made than European firearms. The weight of fire of Mughal artillery corps and Mughal naval complements is greater than that of European analogs due to design and deployment philosophical differences.
-Ponderous; since the Mughal Army is organized on a local level, raising armies is a process than can take months even with forewarning, and though much of the Empire is tolerably defended, little of it is heavily defended.
-Force Projection; the Mughal Army is designed primarily as a defensive apparatus, and any aggressive campaigns will likely be telegraphed some time in advance due to the need to gather soldiers from the Rohs. Mughal naval vessels are generally not designed to range across the open ocean, nor operate across the world like those of other nations, primarily being designed to fight in coastal waters or on seas close to resupply.
-Professionalism; the sons of kaladrin, though raised in a military tradition by their veteran fathers, as a rule of thumb also hold other professions. Only the attendants of the Khan-Emperor and his governors, the Heartguard, and the Outlookers are recruited for tours of permanent service and professionalism. As such, though the Mughal Army is not conscripted, it is not truly a professional force either.

General Aims: Ensure integrity of Mughal state, return Princely States to Mughal rule, build good relations with European powers, bring Gajapatis back in to the fold, contain the Yuan and reclaim the crown of Genghis, ensure stability in South and South-East Asia
Foreign Policy:
Allies: None formally.
Friends: On good terms with the Turcomen state, though occasional border tensions do occur. Enjoy good trading relationships with many European powers.
Neutral: The Portugeuse are viewed with equinamity- though they hold lands that the Khan-Emperor calls his own, their commercial relationship has ameliorated Mughal suspicions somewhat. The Ottomans, in equal measure, are seen as too far away to care about much.
Wary: The French and Swedish holdings in India are treated with suspicion by the general populace of the Mughal Empire, due to the naked ambition to possess parts of the lands that the Khan-Emperor holds and their possible ties to the Gajapati state.
Enemies: Gurkani is openly disdainful of the religious fanatics of Gajapati and views their lands as rightfully Mughal. Additionally, the Yuan Emperor is viewed as a usurper of the title the Mughal Emperor rightfully wears, and her competing interests in Central and South-East Asia have led to significant tensions.

History:
The history of the Mughal Empire can be generally divided in to three distinct ages until the present; the Age of Conquest (1504-1629), the Time of Law (1635-1707), and the Age of Fire (1704-Present).
Last edited by G-Tech Corporation on Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Valentir
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Valentir » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:58 pm

"We have to make India Great Again! There is no one better than the Mughals at making things great! They are fantastic, just fantastic people! And look at those cannons! Do they look like small cannons to you? And I guarantee you there is no problem with the size of the elephants; no problem, I guarantee it! When China sends its people, their not sending their best! Their bringing opium, their bringing silk, they're yellow, and some I assume are good people. We are going to build a wall, and we are going to make China pay for it!" - Mughal Emperor
Last edited by Valentir on Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

New Granadeseret
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Granadeseret » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:03 am

Valentir wrote:"We have to make India Great Again! There is no one better than the Mughals at making things great! They are fantastic, just fantastic people! And look at those cannons! Do they look like small cannons to you? And I guarantee you there is no problem with the size of the elephants; no problem, I guarantee it! When China sends its people, their not sending their best! Their bringing opium, their bringing silk, they're yellow, and some I assume are good people." - Mughal Emperor

... How is silk bad?

Though, China did build a wall and pay for it.
Last edited by New Granadeseret on Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stannis was robbed.

Valentir
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Valentir » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:06 am

New Granadeseret wrote:
Valentir wrote:"We have to make India Great Again! There is no one better than the Mughals at making things great! They are fantastic, just fantastic people! And look at those cannons! Do they look like small cannons to you? And I guarantee you there is no problem with the size of the elephants; no problem, I guarantee it! When China sends its people, their not sending their best! Their bringing opium, their bringing silk, they're yellow, and some I assume are good people." - Mughal Emperor

... How is silk bad?

Though, China did build a wall and pay for it.

Undermines Indian silk.

Ah, I missed that lol. Edited.

The Ik Ka Ek Akai
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 08, 2013
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby The Ik Ka Ek Akai » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:08 am

I might drop out. I really feel like I've lost my drive for this, and can't think of anything to spice it back up

Zostra
Diplomat

Founded: May 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Zostra » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:17 am

Work in progress app

Full name of state: Seinaru Ōkoku Nihon or Holy Kingdom of Japan
Type of government: Constitutional Monarchy
Capital: Edo
Head of state: King
Head of government: Grand Councilor
General government description: Japan is a Kingdom under a strong central monarch who nonethless shares power to some extent. A senate composed of the high nobility can restrain the king and pass laws of its own. The middle and lower classes have basic rights and cannot be abused unjustly
Territory: This
Colonies: Singapore, Palawan, Mindoro, and Marianas
Population (metropolitan and colonial separate if required): 28,000,000 Metropolitan; 100,000 Colonial

Economic description:
Religious description (by class): Upper Classes/Nobility: Japanese Catholicism
Middle/Lower Classes: Japanese Catholicism/Shinto-Buddhism
Popular ideologies and political beliefs (by class): Upper Classes/Nobility: Absolute monarchy, theocracy
Middle Class: Constitutional Monarchy, more recently liberalism and free trade have become topics of discussion
Lower Class: Populism to some extent. Wary of exploitation from nobles.

Military description:

General aims (territorial, etc):
Foreign Policy:

History:
Last edited by Zostra on Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Economic Left/Right: -8.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.9

Intermountain States
Minister

Founded: Oct 12, 2014
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Intermountain States » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:26 am

Full name of state: Kingdom of Joseon (대조선국)
Type of government (absolutist monarchy, republic): Monarchy under a military dictatorship
Capital: Gwangju
Head of state: King Yeongjo of Joseon (personal name: Yeoning)
Head of government: Chancellor Im Yul
General government description: The Mongol invasion brought chaos in the Joseon government that ended with a military coup over the country. While it was still considered an "enlightened bureaucracy based on merits," it was in reality a junta by the Joseon military controlling the majority of the court officials.
Territory (map if needed): Joseon post-Mongol invasion
Colonies: None
Population (metropolitan and colonial separate if required): 5,800,000

Economic description: Joseon was largely an agrarian based country with advanced farming techniques leading to high crop yields. The second Mongol invasion brought reformers clamoring for opening trade with other countries to find other ways to sustain the country, with the opening of ports came a revitalization of old gems of Goryeo restricted under Joseon. The opening of ports also lead to the rise of a new commercial class of merchants clamoring for reforms and starting to be a political force in Joseon.
Religious description (by class): The country is largely irreligious with Neo-confucianism being the state ideology. However, Buddhism makes up the largest religion (if you don't count Neo-confucianism as an ideology) and still being influential in its own rights. Shamanism and Christianity (brought from Ming missionaries before the Mongol Invasion) make up a very small minority in Joseon.
Popular ideologies and political beliefs (by class): The aristocratic yangban class are generally conservative with them being largely pro-agrarian and less supportive of trade and diplomacy with the "barbaric nations". The commercial merchants are more liberal with their support for trade and diplomacy with other countries outside of the so-called Sinosphere. Diplomacy regarding the Yuans is more nonpartisan for both political classes due to them having arguments for both war and peace with the Yuans. The middle class and the lower class are more open to reforms and can be jingoistic but unless certain policies affect them, they generally don't get involved as much.

Military description: The aftermath of the Japanese Invasion and the Mongol Invasion came to the attention of Joseon military leaders of the need for militarization and the strengthening of Joseon's defense. There was now heavy emphasis on military trainings to ensure that a Joseon counterattack will succeed. With that, the Joseon military saw growth in training and weaponry thanks to new diplomatic efforts with the Mughals, who also happen to hate the Yuans.
Strength
- Range: Even though the Joseon military still uses bows and arrows, Joseon has one of the largest usage of muskets in Asia ever since the Imjin War and still makes heavy uses of cannons and hwachas.
- Organization: The Joseon military itself is a formidable army with professionally trained soldiers and dedicated officers under the vast reforms lead for the military.
- Patriotism: While not exactly a military, there are men of all social and economic class willing to pick up what they have to fight the enemy through guerilla warfare as a righteous army to pick up any shortcomings of the military. What they may lack in weapons and training, they make up for it in dedication and knowledge of terrain for a surprise attack.
Weakness
- Obsolete Navy: The Joseon Royal Navy still uses ships from the late Goryeo period and their latest ships are remaining Turtle ships leftover from the Japanese invasion.
- Numbers: Comparing the population size of China and Japan, the Joseon military only has 200,000 fully trained men in active duty for the entire country. Levy forces have less trainings than the regional and the capital forces and are more prone to desert in combat.

General aims (territorial, etc): Reclaim the lost northern lands from the Mongols, continue reforms that will benefit all of Joseon, and open Joseon to other nation's relations.
Foreign Policy:
Allies: Formally none
Friends: Joseon maintains friendly relations with both Japan, the Mughals, and any nations in the Sinosphere that are actively resisting the Mongol rule.
Neutral/Don't care: Joseon is only aware of the European and other non-Sinophere powers such as the Ottomans, the Dutch, Turcomen, etc. Other than the occasional lost Dutch or Portugese explorers at the shores of Joseon, Joseon cares very little about them.
Enemies: Despite a tenseful peace, the country holds little love for the Yuan Dynasty, seeing them as barbarians who took lands from Joseon, including Mt. Baekdu, the mythilogical birthplace of the Joseon people.

History:
The Legacy of Sejong
Since Sejong's death in 1450, there hasn't been a king like him. His successor Munjong died just 2 years after being coronated (most of his achievements came when he was a crown prince) and his son Danjong was overthrown by his uncle who became Sejo of Joseon in 1455. Despite Sejo oversaw numerous opposition killed for power grab, including his nephew Danjong; he was a strong and able ruler, continuing Sejong's expansionist policy and encouraging publication of history, economics, agricultural, and religious books. When Sejo passed away in 1468, his son succeeded him as Yejong of Joseon but died a year later. He was succeeded by his nephew, Yi Hyeol, who became Seongjong of Joseon. Seongjong's reign was marked by growth and prosperity in Joseon and the continuation of anti-Jurchen campaigns at the north. Seonjong passed away at 1494 and was succeeded by his eldest son Yeongsangun. Although Yeongsangun showed promise as an abled ruler, he grew insane and became a tyrant, soon overthrown and replaced by his half-brother who became Jungjong of Joseon. Jungjong's reign was marked by both internal purges and support for reforms and was ultimately a mixed bag ruler. Jungjong was succeeded by his son who became King Injong. Injong was an ambitious king who attempted to continue Jungjong's failed reforms. Injong was succeeded by his brother Myeongjong in 1545.

Conflict with Japan and the Rise of the Mongols
Myeongjong's reign was marked by a power struggle between his mom Queen Munjeong and his uncle Yun Won-hyeong along with rebellions and invasion from Japanese priates and Jurchen raiders. Myeongjong died in 1567 without a male heir and was succeeded by his half-nephew Yi Yeon as Seonjo of Joseon. Seonjo focused on improving the lives of the common people and introduced various political and economic reforms and his early reign was marked by growth and prosperity. However, the Japanese invasion in 1592 that lasted until 1598 heavily devastated the nation and the broken-hearted king retired from politics, leaving his son of a concubine, Gwanghaegun (a controversial decision as sons of concubines never had such opportunity in Joseon) to rule in his stead to deal with the starving populous and political infighting. Gwanghaegun succeeded his father in 1608 and attempted to rebuild the country devastated by the war. With the rise of the Mongols and the decline of the Mings, Gwanghaegun attempted to have a realist foreign policy, trying to be friendly with both the Ming Empire and the resurgent Northern Yuans but was deposed by a coup de'tat by dogmatic Neoconfucian politicians in 1623. Gwanghaegun was exiled and was replaced by his cousin Yi Jong who became Injo of Joseon.

The Yuan-Joseon Wars
King Injo, in contrast to the previous king, kept a hardline stance against the Mongols. Despite the anti-Yuan rhetoric portryaed by both the King and the Royal Court, not much have been made by the Joseon court to expand and reform Joseon's defense, despite at the insistence of military officers and the King himself. When the Mongols invaded Joseon in 1638, Injo saw the loss of three northern provinces (Hamgyeong, Hwanghae, and Pyongan) during the war. Injo had to humiliate himself and recognize Yuan Dynasty as a successor to the Mings. For a while, Joseon was a tributary state to the Yuans with Injo sending the Crown Prince Sohyeon and Grand Prince Bong-rim to Khanbaliq as hostages where both of them saw the need for Joseon to reform. Following Sohyeon's mysterious death on the princes return to Joseon, the new Crown Prince Bong-rim worked with a general by the name of Bak Dal-kyeong to launch a military coup in Hanseong (modern day Seoul), believing Injo to be behind the death of Sohyeon. With the backing of the military and the sudden coup, Dal-kyeong declared himself Overlord, placing military rule of Joseon not seen since the time of Goryeo in 1170. Despite maintaining Injo as the head of state, real power was held by Bak Dal-kyeong. The military regime arrested and executed Kim Ja-jeom (a corrupt official who was behind the coup that overthrew Gwanghaegun) for treason and moved the capital from Hanseong to Gwangju in the Jeolla province. The Mongols protested the sudden military coup and launched another invasion in 1648. The second campaign, however, ended in Joseon's favor as Dal-kyeong's military reforms prevented the Yuans from having any major victories after the invasion of Paju and the Yuans signed an armistice agreement with Joseon.

Unstable Peace
Despite a tenseful relation between the Yuans and Joseon and with militarization, life returned to normal in a way. In 1649, Injo passed away and Bong-rim ascended the throne as Hyojong of Joseon. Hyojong worked with Dal-kyeong to continue the militarization of Joseon. With the help of shipwrecked Dutch sailors, Joseon finally has new updated matchlock muskets for the military. Hyojong continued with rebuilding of the devastated nation of 3 invasions with the advise of Overlord Bak Dal-kyeong. He was succeeded by his son as Hyeonjong of Joseon. Dal-kyeong continued to advise the Joseon king until he chosen his son Bak Kye-sang as the next Chancellor of Joseon to assist the Joseon King, still placing Joseon under military rule. The reigns of the next three kings (Hyeonjong, Sukjong, and Gyeongjong) were marked with continual militerization, economic reforms, opening of foreign relations with nations outside of the Sinosphere (such as the Mughals) and the growth of the military power at the expense of the scholar-class courts. Likewise, Chancellor Bak Kye-sang was succeeded by his son in-law Im Heukchi and later Heukchi's son Im Yul. The passing of Gyeongjong lead to the ascention of his nephew Gyeongjong as Yeongjo of Joseon in 1724. Yeongjo, deeply Confucius man, attempted to grow the power of the King and settle his own diplomatic efforts. He put in place his own reforms and lowered the military service tax, bringing small levels of demilitarization. However, Yeongjo looked into the Mughals to improve the training of the Joseon military. Working with the Mughals lead to Mughal military advisors establishing more trainings into the military and introduction of flintlock muskets to the Joseon military, a much superior weapon compared to old matchlock muskets still in use by the Joseon military. However, Yeongjo is facing some increase tension with the Yuans and his hope for peace and demilitarization may come to an end.
Last edited by Intermountain States on Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:50 pm, edited 14 times in total.
I find my grammatical mistakes after I finish posting
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:I'm a third party voter. Trust me when I say this: Not even a lifetime supply of tacos could convince me to vote for either Hillary or Trump. I suspect I'm not the only third party voter who feels that way. I cost Hillary nothing. I cost Trump nothing. If I didn't vote for third party, I would have written in 'Batman'.

If you try to blame me, I will laugh in your face. I'm glad she lost. I got half my wish. :)
Search boxes are your friends

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:36 am

Valentir wrote:"We have to make India Great Again! There is no one better than the Mughals at making things great! They are fantastic, just fantastic people! And look at those cannons! Do they look like small cannons to you? And I guarantee you there is no problem with the size of the elephants; no problem, I guarantee it! When China sends its people, their not sending their best! Their bringing opium, their bringing silk, they're yellow, and some I assume are good people. We are going to build a wall, and we are going to make China pay for it!" - Mughal Emperor

I think you mean when Indian sends its opium to China and its silk to Yurop.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Liecthenbourg
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Liecthenbourg » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:55 am

The Ik Ka Ek Akai wrote:I might drop out. I really feel like I've lost my drive for this, and can't think of anything to spice it back up

If this is the case French Haiti go go go go go.
Impeach Ernest Jacquinot Legalise Shooting Communists The Gold Standard Needs To Be Abolished Duclerque 1919
Grand-Master of the Kyluminati

The Region of Kylaris
I'm just a simple Kylarite, trying to make my way on NS.

The Gaullican Republic,
I thank God for Three Things:
Kylaris, the death of Esquarium, and Prem <3

The Transtsabaran Federation and The Chistovodian Workers' State

To understand European history watch these: Cultural erosion, German and Italian history, a brief history of Germany.

PLESSUR
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 03, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby PLESSUR » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:00 am

Points of Note

Thanks so much, that's very good.

To clarify on my territory, its basically Switzerland except the Ticino, plus Swabia in German (basically Württemberg and bits of Baden, Bavaria and Franconia).

Sorry about your app Elderowa. I mentioned the Poland reservation earlier but I didn't realise you clashed territories that much. You could go for Crimea, Kazan, Astrakhan, Nogai, Circassia, Sibir, Kazakh, Khiva... endless possibilities.
Anarcho-Saxony wrote:
Veskesh wrote:Jeez if Turkey keeps having these coups they'll be kicked out of NATO and won't be able to join the EU....

The USA was in NATO when the American Civil War happened, but the Confederacy coup didn't cause it to be kicked out, did it?

PLESSUR
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby PLESSUR » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:15 am

Liecthenbourg wrote:
Full name of state: Kingdom of France | Royaume de France
Type of government: An absolute monarchy deriving existence from the notion of the 'Divine Right of Kings'.
Capital: Paris
Head of state: Queen Marguerite, a six year old girl.
Head of government: Louis-Joseph de Montcalm, Marquis of Saint-Veran
General government description: The government is one of absolute monarchy through the philosophical and social notions of the 'Divine Right of Kings'. The monarch has the full power of the French state at their disposal, acting as the executive and legislative body of the state. There is a largely defunct and ceremonial 'Estates General', composed of the 'Three Estates', the Clergy, the Nobility and Everyone Else. It has not had a proper session since 1614 and thus is largely useless. There is however what is referred to as 'The Monarch's Cabinet', individuals of intellect or military prowess or of an exemplary field. Its main proponents are currently Montcalm, Marquis of Saint-Veran as Chief-Minister of the King, or in this case Queen, and a combination of Francois Quesnay and Turgot as Minister of the Treasury and his Under-Secretary, respectively.
Territory: France Proper
Colonies: Viceroyalty of New France, French India, French Caribbean and South America, probably some coastal settlements in Africa, like Dakar. Haiti is a no-no cause of my agreement with Kai, that you are aware of and I realised I mismapped French Guyana whoops.
Population: Metropolitan France; approximately 26,000,000.
Colonial: I've no idea, but I'd like to suggest perhaps a larger than IRL situation. This could be explained perhaps with a smaller metropolitan population, as I aim to have the French Governments within the PoD actually encourage an immigration to the New World.

Economic description: Dominated by the ideals of Physiocrats, France maintains a large agricultural sector - one that feeds the most populous state in Europe. However, despite this the concepts of the industrial revolution have begun to root in French minds. Minor mechanisation, as well as the propping up of textile mills and cotton mills, in addition to the expansions of non-Crown monopolies have led to this scenario. From across the ocean blue, in the Caribbean, North America and India do goods and luxuries flow into the French ports. Haiti, the jewel of the Caribbean, produces much of Europe's request for sugar and coffee, despite the ethical malpractice. The Americas produce indigo, tobacco and cotton for France and through the lucrative French East India Company do the resources and luxuries of French India trickle their ways back to Europe. Despite this the Royal Purse is currently in debt, countered with a new and rather unpopular amongst the upper classes tax rate known as the "vingtième."

Religious description:
  • Royalty: Roman Catholicism
  • Clergy: Roman Catholicism
  • Nobility: Roman Catholicism
  • Peasantry and Lower Classes: Roman Catholicism with incredibly minor, minor, minor fragments of Protestantism and Judaism.

Popular ideologies and political beliefs:
  • Royalty: Absolute Monarchy through Divine Right, Imperialism, Colonisation, perhaps minor notions of industrialisation
  • Clergy: Conservatism, the maintaining of the 1st Estate, State Religion
  • Nobility: Conservatism, the maintaining of the 2nd Estate, perhaps elements of decentralisation, Imperialism, Colonisation, Physiocracy
  • Peasantry and Lower Classes: A wide and sporadic range of ideas and beliefs, but are nominally content with bread.

Military description: The French military is currently dubbed perhaps as the most powerful territorial army in Europe. She is gargantuan, well trained, veterans of campaigns and wars. France cores her army on infantry, as most do, and fields a good core of cavalry of all sorts. She prides herself in her artillery. The army is mainly focused within Europe, but two expeditionary forces are currently stationed in French India and in Quebec. Across the rest of the territories, local militias, levies and natives are employed to serve in the defence of the territory. France's navy too is large and used extensively to maintain her own colonial possessions.
+ Is probably the largest land force in Europe.
+ 260,000 baguettes ready to die for France.
+ Well armed, equipped and trained on all her fronts.
+ A large pool of an officer corps.
+ Mainly focused in the important territories of Europe, knock out the colonial power and you have them by the balls.
- Said officer corps is placed on birth, usually, over merit.
- A rather lacklustre naval officer corps and admiralty.
- Could be argued that it is overextended.
- Why bother defending snow in North America?

General aims: France's natural border is the Ural Mountain Range Expand influence around the globe, pin down the rising power of England-Ireland, keep those Ottomans in check, keep the Habsburgs from diluting the masterful Bourbon Bloodline and keep their incestuous hands away with a musket if necessary. Approach with extreme caution :P
Foreign Policy:
Clients/Puppets/Protectorates: "Ara Kalinago Wurari"
Allies: Scotland, perhaps the Commonwealth.
Friendly: Turcoman Empire, Gajapati Kingdom (If fine with Trotza)
Ambivalent: Habsburg Spain and Austria
Unfriendly: Ottomans
Quite hostile towards: England-Ireland

History:
1489: Bartholomew, brother of Columbus, petitions to the French Court to listen to his brother's suggestions of a westward route to Asia. Charles VIII agrees.
1490: With the terms outlined, that Columbus would receive a large state pension, in addition to receiving a tenth of the revenue of the newly opened trade lanes with the Orient that would arrive. He additionally claimed preference for state trade, in addition to having his six vessels outfitted for voyage.
1491: Columbus and his ships arrive in what we now as Hispaniola and claims the land for the French Crown. He establishes contact with the Carib people before returning to France to note of the discovery. Charles VIII outfits two independent expeditions, the second sent forth after Columbus' second voyage. Columbus dies across the ocean from an onset of Malaria and the French representative aboard takes reigns of the mission.
1492: Discovering Haiti, Cuba and the Antilles, the French Crown meet the Carib state of the "Ara Kalinago Wurari". The French Crown, through a series of missions set up by royal representatives and clergymen outline the basis of the relationships between these two states.
1494 - 98: Italian Wars as normal. Settling of the Antilles, increased trade and deals with the Carib peoples. Outlines agreements for plantations upon the islands of Hispaniola. Begins using the victims of tribal warfare, plus European raids, as slaves for these plantations. A port is to be constructed as well.
1500 - to like 1700: History as normal, really. Nothing outstanding. Settled in the same places, fought the same religious wars. However, Cardinal Richelieu does not ban Protestants from moving to French Colonies and instead actually encourages French immigration to the new world, particularly in Quebec, Montreal and New Orleans.
1700 - 1714: Spanish War of Succession, if fine with Lunas, perhaps a more status-quo war, with Louis XIV accepting the notions of a Habsburg on the throne in exchange for some territorial concessions that lead to how France looks like in my application.
1715: Louis XIV dies, Louis XV takes the reigns. Married to the Polish Princess Marie Leszczyńska, relations between the Kingdom and Commonwealth do improve substantially.
1759: Louis XV dies, unexpectedly, and his wife's inability to sire many children has left him with a late born daughter tenuously recognised as Queen of France. Marguerite, of age five, takes to the throne. A Council of Regents seize the opportunity and maintain a peace, but political intrigue and all inspires their plots. They are Cardinal de Beaumont the Archbishop of Paris, Queen-Mother Marie Leszczyńska, Chief-Minister of the Queen Louis-Joseph de Montcalm and Secretary for the Treasury Francois Quesnay.

I hope is of okay
If need be I can delve further into history/expand, etc.

Accepted, its great

Map will now be linked to the OPs
Anarcho-Saxony wrote:
Veskesh wrote:Jeez if Turkey keeps having these coups they'll be kicked out of NATO and won't be able to join the EU....

The USA was in NATO when the American Civil War happened, but the Confederacy coup didn't cause it to be kicked out, did it?

Elepis
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Elepis » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:20 am

I was going to go Sultanate of Delhi but as that is taken, anything else I could do in Asia?
"Krugmar - Today at 10:00 PM
Not sure that'll work on Elepis considering he dislikes (from what I've observed):
A: Nationalism
B: Religion being taken seriously
C: The Irish"

PLESSUR
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby PLESSUR » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:36 am

Elepis wrote:I was going to go Sultanate of Delhi but as that is taken, anything else I could do in Asia?

Besides scraps of India, China, Korea, Japan, Iran and Middle East, everything else is free. There may be a Sibir Khanate of sorts. Southeast Asia, Central Asia are all untouched
Anarcho-Saxony wrote:

Elepis
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Elepis » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:50 am

PLessur wrote:
Elepis wrote:I was going to go Sultanate of Delhi but as that is taken, anything else I could do in Asia?

Besides scraps of India, China, Korea, Japan, Iran and Middle East, everything else is free. There may be a Sibir Khanate of sorts. Southeast Asia, Central Asia are all untouched

so all the good places except Indonesia are taken then :p
"Krugmar - Today at 10:00 PM
Not sure that'll work on Elepis considering he dislikes (from what I've observed):
A: Nationalism
B: Religion being taken seriously
C: The Irish"

Caltarania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Caltarania » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:58 am

I'M FROM KYLARIS, AND I'M HERE TO HELP!

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:03 am

Elepis wrote:
PLessur wrote:

Actually, I'm making the Mughal Empire with Indonesia as a part of it, building on the ties of vassalage there historically to counterbalance that blob in Bangladesh and uber-China/European inroads.
Last edited by G-Tech Corporation on Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:04 am

Caltarania wrote:https://i.imgur.com/12tZm5d.png

reserve this pls

Just put up a reservation for that area ten posts above yours, Calt.

PLESSUR
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby PLESSUR » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:16 am

PLessur wrote:
Full name of state: Swabian League/ Swabian Confederation / Schwäbischer Bund
Type of government (absolutist monarchy, republic): Confederal association of autocratic principalities and other monarchist polities
Capital: Ulm (ceremonial), Konstanz (governmental), Stuttgart (de facto centre of power)
Head of state: Präsidialmacht Frederick II Eugene of Württemberg
Head of government: Bundeskanzler Prince-Bishop Johann Peter of Konstanz
General government description: The Swabian League is seen in two ways in this era of Enlightenment: as a sterling example of a pluralistic state devoid of despotism, or as a state serving only to preserve privilege. Though the Dukes of Württemberg have held the title of Präsidialmacht continuously since the sixteenth century, they have never held enough authority to rule as autocrats. The Bundesrat, or League Council, acts as the main legislature and is composed of the three 'Estates' of the clergy, the nobility and the free cities. While technically a legislature, it is rather limited in scope: it elects the Präsidialmacht, approves taxes and budgets and approves decisions to go to war, to sign treaties or to accede new members to the Bund. The leader of the Bundesrat is the Bundeskanzler, generally the Bishop of Konstanz or Augsburg, who is responsible to maintain the cohesion of the Bund and ensure the Bundesrat meets regularly.
Recently the institutions of the actual Duchy of Württemberg have come to overlap wit those of the Bund. As the duchy comes to dominate more and more of the activity of the Bund, so too its institutions grow to encompass them. Second to Württemberg in power in Swabia is the Free State of Bern, which includes the city of Bern and its 'empirette' in the Jura and Vaud areas. The southern periphery of Swabia generally has more independent government institutions than the territories north of the Rhine.
Territory (map if needed): Map to come. Essentially Swabian Circle with a bit of Franconia (including Nuremberg) plus Switzerland minus the Ticino. Map on OP is good.
Colonies: N/A. Associates/client states include: the Free City of Nuremberg, the Three Leagues, the Republic of Seven Tithings, Geneva and the cantons of Schwyz, Uri, Unterwalden
Population (metropolitan and colonial separate if required): 3.6 million; 2 million in Swabia proper and 1.6 million in Switzerland

Economic description: The bulk of economic activity remains agriculture, primarily in the territories north of the Rhine as well as Thurgau and Aargau. Generally enough grains and other products are grown to feed the population and export; the Vaud area produces wine and other fruit products. Small scale textile industries exist north of the Rhine, in St Gallen and in the Zurichgau.
Religious description (by class): The aristocracy are mostly Calvinist, though pockets of Catholicism still exist all over, particularly in Augsburg, Konstanz, central Switzerland and St Gallen. The Bund government officially includes all confessions, maintaining a precarious peace between the various groups.
Popular ideologies and political beliefs (by class): The aristocracy generally support the ideologies of the status quo, namely universal Christendom, hierarchy, feudalism and privilege. However, many have embraced the ideals of the Enlightenment, forming societies discussing political ideals. The House of Württemberg do not see the Enlightenment as a threat; far from it many members of the dynasty have adopted and espoused Enlightened ideals, including the current Duke and Präsidialmacht Frederick Eugene.
The urban bourgeois, historically quite free in the many Free Imperial Cities of Swabia, come somewhere between the nobility and the rural merchants and peasants. Generally they appreciate being part of the legal patchwork of the Bund and Empire which bestows upon them their unique autonomy. However many are beginning to question the Bund government's capacity to help the economy, with internal tariffs and financial crises still affecting the emerging capitalist class in the Swabian cities. Urban discontent is particularly high north of the Rhine and in the Franconian cities, where urban privileges are fewer than those of the Swiss cities. In addition, the Calvinist cities of Switzerland, particularly Geneva, are home to the most active political societies of the bourgeois.
Meanwhile rural merchants and peasants have very different beliefs. Though deeply religious, particularly in central Switzerland, they also bear the greatest burden of feudal privilege. While most are unable to launch any form of protest, Swiss peasants tend to lead uprisings more often. Ironically the most volatile areas in this respect are those Swiss areas ruled by a Free City. Most important of these is the French-speaking Vaud, ruled with a strong hand by the city of Bern. Overall, the various polities of the Bund support one another to ensure that economic policy is not too inefficient and that all territories are safe from uprising that threaten the status quo.

Military description: At the centre of the Bund military is the Army of the Dukes of Württemberg, raised through both small-scale conscription and mercenaries. All members of the Bund are legally obligated to provide troops when the Bundesrat calls for it. Many Free Cities pay to raise mercenaries instead of providing from their own population, meaning many Swiss regiments are highly professional and paid well. Those troops raised from the territories north of the Rhine are less brilliant, and overall the Bund Army is small. The variation in arms provided is great, with the Swiss and Württemberger troops possessing more modern muskets than those of rural northern Swabia.
The Präsidialmacht is the commander-in-chief of the Swabian Bund Army, and they traditionally led the army on campaigns regularly in Switzerland and Franconia in the sixteenth century. Lower level commanders come with their troops from the territories of the Bund.
Strengths and weaknesses of the military: Large parts of the Army are highly professional, particularly the Swiss mercenaries. Small scale operations with and element of surprise can be conducted in a textbook manner, particularly in mountain regions which the Swiss know well. However, the small numbers and the deep separation of command structures which come with a system like the decentralised Bund mean that the Army cannot fight well over a long war and occupation. Any successful operations would require fast actions assisted by a strong ally that can quickly achieve a decisive ending.

General aims (territorial, etc): Reform Bund institutions according to Enlightenment ideals, increase the power of the Präsidialmacht and make Swabia more legally homogeneous. All these centre around the desire of Stuttgart to make the Bund more quick to respond to events and more able to reform rapidly, essentially removing the inertia from the cumbersome structure of the Bund. Expanding the powers and territory of the actual Duchy of Württemberg will assist with that.
Foreign Policy: Friendship with the Habsburgs has been the cornerstone of Swabian foreign policy historically. However, Stuttgart also wishes to limit Habsburg influence in the region through their Further Austrian territories in south Germany and Alsace.
Swabia is friendly with France to an extent, though is wary of her designs on the Jura, Vaud and Savoy.
In terms of Germany, Swabia wishes to preserve the Holy Roman Empire in its current form while expanding its regional influence, particularly through expansion into Franconia and possibly the Rhineland. Historically wary of the Wittelsbachs, the Bund views any expansion of Bavarian influence and power as a direct threat. Thus, Bavaria and Savoy are the greatest enemies of Swabia.

History: The War in 1499 ended rather unexpectedly. The previously skilful Swiss failed to check the Imperial forces crossing over from the north of the Rhine and were routed multiple times. Emperor Maximilian I had successfully organised the Swabian League, or Bund, a military organisation grouping the various princes, bishops and cities of Swabia that pledged to help the Emperor in war, and now led it to victory. With the Swiss Confederacy having already been placed under the imperial ban, Maximilian now delegated the rights to its territories to the Swabian League. The House of Württemberg and its Duke Ulrich, as the de facto leader of the League, set about extending campaigns into Aargau and Thurgau, conquering them from the Swiss by 1500. At this point, many Swiss associates sued for peace with Stuttgart, the city of Zurich left the Confederacy, and the city of Konstanz joined the Bund.

Now with Thurgau restored to the Bishop of Konstanz and Aargau under a condominium of the League, the League set about reforming its internal works. Its success prompted it to organise stronger administrative structures, but nonetheless it remained a primarily military organisation. With Ulrich opposing further reform, and with his reckless actions in Reutlingen, the Swabian League deposed him and requested that his brother George of Württemberg become Duke in Stuttgart and Präsidialmacht (presiding-power) of the Bund.

Under George, Württemberg came to occupy a much firmer place at the centre of the Bund. In 1523, the Bund went to war in Franconia to assist the Free City of Nuremberg. This proved longer than expected and nearly caused full out war with the Wittelsbachs of Bavaria, the arch rivals of the Swabians. Eventually a treaty was established with Nuremberg that instantly gave the Bund a much larger area of influence. In Georges reign the Bund also established treaties of association with the Three Leagues in Rhaetia, the cities of Augsburg, Zurich and Bern and the principality of Neuchatel. In addition, Schaffhausen, the Abbey of St Gallen and the Free City of Basel all joined the Bund.

During the reigns of Georges sons Swabia began to take a more active role in Switzerland. A military campaign in central Switzerland in 1554 led to the final dissolution of the Swiss Confederacy and association treaties with Luzern, Uri, Unterwalden, Schwyz, Zug and Glarus. The Bund assisted the Abbott of St Gallen in retaking the Appenzell. By 1590 the Free City of Zurich, the Abbey of St Gallen, the Prince-Bishopric of Basel and the Principality of Neuchatel had all joined the Bund. A long and vicious war with Charles Emmanuel I of Savoy in 1595 led to the Bund assisting Bern in maintaining its rule over the Vaud, but the Swabians failed to take Geneva, now an independent city state. By now Swabia's most important ally was Bern and its little empire on the Swiss Plateau.

The Bund developed much over the sixteenth century, coming close to resembling a miniature Holy Roman Empire. The House of Württemberg came to monopolise the Präsidialmacht title, and it was invariably its Duke that led the Bund on military campaigns. Successive Präsidialmachten worked hard to maintain lands in Swabia in the hands of friendly dynasties, primarily to prevent the Habsburgs from taking available land to add to their Further Austrian territories. While strictly maintaining friendly relations with Vienna, the Dukes of Württemberg came to see themselves as the most important power in the south-western periphery of the Empire and could thus not tolerate intrusions into Swabia and Switzerland, known collectively as Alemannia.

For this reason the Bund tried hard to maintain neutrality during the Reformation and the Thirty Years War. Swabia was more or less split between Catholicism and Lutheranism, and though many Württemberger dynasts were Calvinist they always stayed in the moderates camp and maintained Catholicism in the structure of the Bund, particularly in how clergy from Konstanz and Augsburg were involved in the works of the Bund. In 1601 a permanent council was formed for Swabia, the Bundesrat, consisting of the nobles, clergy and free cities. The leader of the council, the 'Bundeskanzler', was generally also the Bishop of Konstanz. Nonetheless, friction in the Bund could be expected and a Catholic uprising in central Switzerland in 1610 tested the Bund to its limits.

The Bund tried to stay neutral initially in 1618, but got pulled in the war when Gustavus Adolphus invaded Swabia. Bund troops were key to ejecting Gustavus when he nearly reached Konstanz and sending him back north. Towards the end of the war the Bund attacked Bavaria over the latter's supposed attack on Nuremberg; though unrelated to much of the rest of the war battles with the Wittelsbachs continued until 1639.

Throughout the latter half of the seventeenth century the Bund engaged in more dangerous foreign policy. Always flirtatious with France, Swabia nearly came to war with the Habsburgs, still a potentially dangerous situation given regional Austrian power at the time. During this period the Bund signed deeper association treaties with the Republic of Seven Tithings in the Valais, as well as fully acceding Luzern, Fribourg, Glarus and the Free State of Bern into the Bund. The latter was particularly notable as its treaty of accession did not refer to the Holy Roman Empire at all, hinting to the Bund's new identity as a state of its own. By now the Bund's territory was at its maximum; aside from a few Franconian territories in 1693 Swabia could no longer expand without potentially going to war with either Bavaria to the north and east or Savoy to the south and west.

Accepted. Hope to get a post up soon.
Anarcho-Saxony wrote:

New Granadeseret
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Granadeseret » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:39 am

Elepis wrote:
PLessur wrote:

Like I mentioned before, The Andies are also still open, and unlike the rest of open America was historically home to some complex civilizations.
Stannis was robbed.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse