NATION

PASSWORD

Terminus (IC - Open)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Fascistisk State
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Terminus (IC - Open)

Postby Fascistisk State » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:15 pm

It had been nearly 15 years since the plague took its first victims. It went by many names: ICN-19, Greywater, Cough Syrup - settling on a single label was hardly a priority for the people watching their friends and families drop dead around them. Regardless, its effects were clear. Once infected, there was no hope for the host. First, they would develop a sporadic cough, and then, with few - if any - other visible symptoms, they would be dead within a week of their first contact with the virus. It was a fast, infectious, and invariably lethal disease, created to inflict death on a massive scale in an enemy nation. Obviously, it hadn't stopped in just one country. The plague had spread like wildfire, advancing through Asia and into Europe. Planes and boats had carried it into North America, along with other, more isolated countries, where it had devastated all it touched. The virus was man-made, created to finish the war that had been raging around the globe for 13 years. America had made it, China had developed it - some people even thought that the North Koreans had somehow weaponised it. It didn’t matter now - in this irreversibly broken world, the wars and politics of the old order were of little concern to anyone.

The strain of the war and the plague was too much for even the more powerful governments of Earth to bear. One by one they crumbled, plunging the world into an age of anarchy. Looting, mass desertion in the military, gangs of bandits and marauders rearing their heads all over the world, preying on those too weak to resist. Rumours of safe havens and peaceful communities materialised; all were proven to be false, and the world continued to spiral out of control, showing no sign of stopping. When the plague began to spread in England, gangs and looters quickly took hold in the major cities. People fled from urban areas to the rural countryside, desperate to escape the virus and the killings. Most were far too late.

It took a decade, but by 2033, things had begun to calm down. No longer were raiders and looters quite so prevalent. Small towns had emerged both in the rural countryside and from the ruins of their predecessors. The cities were no longer lit entirely by ceaseless gunfire, and the people seemed to have stopped murdering each other on sight. For the most part, anyway. One such town lay within what remained of West Bromwich, slowly but surely being repaired by its few remaining denizens. Before the plague, it had a population of around eighty thousand, and was undergoing a large-scale economic boom, resulting in shopping centres and retail parks being built not just in the town, but all around the local area. Nowadays, these gigantic complexes had fallen into ruin, picked clean by looters years ago. Vegetation had reclaimed what was left, creating towering spires of brick and leaves. The tarmac roads and concrete pavements had been ripped apart by the roots of the trees that had overgrown their roadside plots, making travel even by foot a chore. People existed in small pockets, inhabiting crumbling buildings or wooden structures built after the world collapsed. They lived simple lives; farming the land, hunting and gathering, and trading with other small communities.

Those simple lives, however, were by no means uneventful...

Hello! The OOC page is where application and discussion should be happening. Please read the rules posted there if you are interested in this thingy.
THE FASCISTISK UNION OF STATES AND TERRITORIES
Unitary GovernmentChancellor StraaglandFascistisk Kombihæren

New Aerios
Minister

Founded: Apr 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Aerios » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:08 pm

Post co-written with Epsilon Aquarii.

West Bromwich, Northwest border

The sharp cough of suppressed gunfire cut through the air, echoing over the soft patter of the rain as it bounced off piles of rubble and the husks of long-abandoned cars. With a spray of blood, the two figures who had stood in the centre of the road just moments ago fell to the ground, dead. In front of them, two more people knelt, cowering in fear, their possessions scattered in front of them. Coming to his senses, one of them began to rise to his feet, only to freeze in terror as another bullet ricocheted off the ground just millimetres from him, throwing up a hail of small stones and dust. In the distance, a figure drew slowly closer, silhouetted against the pale grey sky as he strolled lazily towards his new captives, his rifle now hanging in a long black bag slung over his shoulder. He stopped just in front of them, towering over them menacingly, his long overcoat fluttering in the breeze. He paused for a moment, before an ominous smile flickered across his face and he gestured to the two corpses, who now lay in a rapidly growing pool of scarlet blood. "The good news is that I just dealt with your raider problem." He spoke in a low, commanding tone; his accent refined, without any trace of regional inflection. "The bad news is that my services are not free of charge."

The man to the left, the younger of the two, whimpered softly, shuffling backwards a little. "Just take it all, ok? Please, don't hurt us!" His companion, an old, grizzled man, simply glared and said nothing. Bending down to retrieve the pair's possessions, their new robber grinned, extending a hand. "By the way, I completely forgot to introduce myself. How terribly rude of me. Gustav Drake. A pleasure to meet you." The older man reached out and grasped his hand, shaking it for a second before pulling himself up with surprising speed, drawing a small knife from behind his back and launching into a wild slash towards Gustav's face. Unfazed, he deftly sidestepped, avoiding the blow and using the man's momentum to flip him onto his back and slam him down onto the hard road. The assailant lay there, groaning in pain, as Drake slowly drew a pistol out from under his overcoat. It was a Borchardt C-93, an antique, although one clearly kept in excellent working order, its elegant profile highlighted by the soft light that reflected off its long, polished barrel. He shook his head slightly. "You really shouldn't have done that."

The gunshot seemed deafening amidst the quiet stillness of its surroundings, a tongue of flame erupting from the muzzle of the weapon as the old man's head jerked back suddenly, a neat hole punched in the centre of his forehead. Gustav sighed, before bringing the pistol around to face his other victim and firing in a single fluid motion, sliding the still-smoking weapon back into its holster as the second man fell to the floor, another small hole in the exact same spot on his forehead. Satisfied that nobody present posed a threat any more, Gustav dropped to one knee, beginning to rifle through the dead men's gear, taking anything that appeared to be of use or value. Ammunition, a little food, two full canteens of water, a gold watch in immaculate condition - probably an heirloom - and a small metal hip flask of what tasted like a Laphroaig Quarter Cask - a rather pleasant surprise. Tucking his newly acquired possessions into his bag, he rose to his feet, steely grey eyes looking all around. Nothing, other than a lone figure in the distance, watching him. He reached into his coat to withdraw his pistol once again, before reconsidering and instead raising a hand in greeting.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The north-west of the town was by far the hardest to navigate; fallen trees blocked off entire streets and those that weren’t completely impassable were still a pain to get through. The area was home to the local pack of dogs and very little else. The dogs in question were feasting on a dead deer in the middle of the road. Or rather, what was left of the road. Their attention was suddenly drawn to an alley at their left, the bigger dogs of the pack snarling as if defending their food. A deafening gunshot pierced the air, and one of the dogs fell to the hard ground with a hole in its chest. The remaining dogs bolted away as fast as they could.

A masked figure walked out of the alley, clutching a Remington 700 rifle. The body of the rifle was made of wood, and there was some rubber on the weapon’s stock to protect the shooter’s shoulder from the astounding recoil. “Fuckin’ mutts.” The person muttered under their breath. The voice was clearly feminine and Irish though. She was wearing a black paintball mask which was covered up by a red hoodie, which was being worn below a black denim jacket. She was also wearing dark blue jeans and brown boots. She walked across the road to where the dead dog and deer was, before kneeling down and pulling out a carving knife from one of her coat pockets. She looked at both of the carcasses thoroughly, looking for a good and clean piece of meat to cut off. Bleedin’ dogs have ate most of it, the bastards… she thought as she sighed in defeat, pocketing her knife. As she rose to her feet, the sound of another gunshot could be heard, though the sound came from what seemed like a mile away.

She practically jumped out of her skin, turning around towards where the shot came from. After what felt like an eternity, she sighed again and relaxed herself. “Ellen, it obviously wasn’t for you…” She said to herself as she shook her head. Ellen pulled her mask up over her red hood, revealing a soft face with some ginger hair, although most of it was still covered by her hood. Looking down at her rifle, she pulled the bolt up and back, chambering a new round. When she tried to push the bolt forwards however, it wouldn’t move at all. “Oh for fuck’s sake”, she muttered, as she put the rifle down on the ground with the stock in the air. She pushed down on the bolt with all the strength in her arms, only stopping when a painful mark appeared on her right hand. Groaning, she shook her hurting hand, and, although it took some effort, she removed the rifle’s magazine with her left hand, placing it in her coat’s breast pocket.

Ellen laid her rifle against the ravaged carcass of the deer, before taking off her backpack and sliding the rifle into a large holster at the side of the pack. Smiling at the perfect fit, she put her backpack back on and pulled a pistol out from her back pocket. It was a Browning Hi-Power, a handgun created nigh-on 100 years prior. It was fairly unremarkable, with a gunmetal grey colour and a simple wooden grip. This’ll have to do, I suppose…

Shrugging her shoulders, she walked down the street, taking care to avoid the roots and cracks in the road. She could hear loud shouting from around the corner, then two little ‘pew’s. She took a deep breath before peeking around the corner, seeing three people talking in the middle of the road. They don’t seem too bad. Then, an abandoned backpack in the alley on the other side of the road got her attention like a flame would for a moth. Hello there… Seeing her opportunity, she walked across the road, holding her gun in a white-knuckled grip. At the half-way point, one gunshot broke the silence, followed closely by a second. Ellen froze in place, slowly turning around to where the shots came from.

Where three men once stood, only one was left, sifting through their belongings. The mysterious figure then stood straight up, looking straight at her. It looked like he was reaching into his coat for something. Probably his gun. I could shoot him… I should shoot him. Before she could level her gun at the person, however, they raised a hand as if to greet her. “Oh, bugger it.” She whispered to herself, slowly and cautiously walking over to the figure.

Gustav watched her approach, still ready to draw his weapon at a moment's notice should this new arrival have anything less than peaceful intentions. She stopped a short distance in front of him, and he took a step forward, extending his hand once more - although this time with a little more caution. He glanced around at the bodies that lay scattered across the road. "Sorry about the mess. Necessary, I'm afraid. Name's Gustav Drake. Pleasure to meet you..." His last sentence ended as a question, and he paused expectantly, waiting for the woman to introduce herself.

She hesitantly shook Gustav’s hand, while her other hand was ready to level the gun right at him should anything happen. “Ellen. Joyce… So, who are your friends, mister Gustavo?” her voice went from unsure and nervous at the start to somewhat a somewhat friendly tone.

"Two bandits, and their two would-be victims who decided it was a good idea to attack me... that's life these days, I suppose. Can't say I really blame them, they take the opportunities they think they have, same as the rest of us. So... what brought you over here, Ellen Joyce? From Dublin, right? Lovely city. Or at least it was the last time I was there - might not be in great shape now."

“Accent gave me away, did it?” Ellen let out a short, sarcastic laugh. “It’s a bloody shit’ole.” A bag around Gustav's back caught her attention for a moment. “So what’s in the bag? If it’s what I hope it is, then I’m hoping you’ve got the knowledge for something I need help with.”

"It's a bicycle pump. Why, have you got a flat tyre?" He waited a second, watching as a confused expression formed on Ellen's face, before letting out a slight chuckle. "Joking, of course. If what you're hoping is in there is a rifle, you're in luck." He slid the bag off his shoulder and set it down on the bonnet of a rusting car, unzipping it to reveal a Walther WA2000 with a long, chunky suppressor affixed to its muzzle. "As for that 'knowledge' you mentioned... who do you want me to shoot and how much are you willing to pay?"

When the rifle came out of the bag, mock sadness appeared on her face. “Oh. Shame, because my car’s got a knackered tyre.” she said in a sombre tone. Pepping up again, she got a good look at the rifle. “Ugly thing, isn’t it?” She took her bag off her back, taking the rifle out of its holster. “That… thing’s broken.” She said, pointing to the bolt. “Well, not broken. Stuck. Either way it’s banjaxed.”

Gustav lifted the rifle out of her hands, examining it briefly before laying it down next to his own. Taking a small set of tools out of his bag, he quickly scraped some rust away from the weapon's receiver, before removing the bolt from the rifle and giving it a more thorough clean. Reaching into the bag again, he brought out a small bottle of oil and sprayed a little over the bolt, sliding it smoothly back into the gun and locking it in place with a satisfying click. "That should be fixed..." He paused, before taking a round and loading it into the chamber, bringing the rifle up to aim at a distant window and pulling the trigger. The round slammed into the wall next to his target, and he took out a small magnifying lens and examined the gun's sights. "Might as well get this thing shooting straight for you too." Making a few precise adjustments, he loaded another round and tried again. This time, the bullet flew straight through the window, shattering what little glass remained. Gustav handed the rifle back over to Ellen. "Done."

“Wow, thanks.” She said, nodding slowly as Gustav handed the weapon back to her. “So, I suppose you’ll need bullets right? Everyone needs bullets.” She reached into her breast pocket and grabbed the rifle’s magazine from before, handing it to Gustav. “I don’t know if it’s the same fit, but we’ll see, won’t we? If not… well then I have no idea.”

Pocketing the bullets, Gustav smiled. "Yes, those should fit just fine. Pleasure doing business with you, Ellen... if there's anything else you need, follow the sound of gunshots and you'll find me." Fastening his bag and slinging it over his shoulder once more, he turned and began to walk back down the road. His footsteps, however, were silent, as he listened intently for Ellen's movements, ready to react if she decided to test out her newly functional weapon on him. He suspected she might - sometimes what a person didn't say gave far more cause for concern than what they did.

While Gustav walked away, Ellen rested her rifle on the bonnet of the same car. She pulled the bolt all the way back, inspecting the job that Gustav did on it. It looks better than when I found it. She unzipped her coat and pulled a magazine out from one of the inside pockets, sliding it into place in the magwell. She put the stock into her shoulder and pushed the bolt forwards. Smoother than ever. She looked at Gustav, then her rifle. Nah. He did help me, after all. Instead of shooting him, she turned around in the opposite direction, going into the alley where that bag was hidden.
-------------------------------I--M--P--E--R--I--V--M----N--O--V--A----A--E--R--I--O--S---------------------------------
"No matter how worthy the cause, it is robbery, theft, and injustice to confiscate the property of one person and give it to another to whom it does not belong"

"Prior to capitalism, the way people amassed great wealth was by looting, plundering and enslaving their fellow man. Capitalism made it possible to become wealthy by serving your fellow man."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Epsilon Aquarii
Envoy

Founded: Jun 17, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Epsilon Aquarii » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:08 pm

(Marking this I know it's an OOC post but I need to see stuff so sorry I'll get rid of this when I post something proper)
(k dunno how to delete it because there's no delete button oh God)
Last edited by Epsilon Aquarii on Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I can be a bit passive-aggressive at times. I don't mean it. For the most part.
Married to The Hook Islands in real life
I like video games as well, if you couldn't guess.

The process that unshackles the most light is caused by the thing that best imprisons it

Oi yeah nah drop us a tele if you want.

Zaurell
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 02, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Zaurell » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:02 pm

Darien strolled into West Bromwich whistling "In the Hall of the Mountain King". On his back was an old faded black backpack. Slung over his shoulder was a large haunch of deer meat. The rest had been stashed away or fed to the two large Huskies trotting at his side. His walk was confident but not arrogant. The townspeople regarded him warily. Strangers were no longer to be shot on sight but caution was still the best idea. He gave them a friendly wave to show he was not here to cause trouble. They took it with a grain of salt but he wasn't shot, so that was good. In the distance, he heard a couple of gunshots a minute or two apart, but that was practically normal nowadays. He approached one of the townsfolk and asked "Excuse me sir, but is there any place one might go to barter?" The man pointed boredly to the center of town. Darien thanked him and walked further into town.

Darien entered the part of town where goods were being exchanged and looked for an interested party or someone who had something he needed. Before he could find someone, he noticed a ten-year-old girl tugging on his jacket. He asked "May I help you?" but by the time the words were out of his mouth, he knew what she wanted. It was clear that she hadn't been getting enough to eat. Sure enough, she asked "Please sir, I'm hungry and I have nothing to eat. May I have some of the meat you're carrying?" Darien was conflicted. On the one hand, he wanted to help her and on the other, he didn't want the townspeople to think they could take advantage of him. Suddenly he had an idea. He asked "Do you know how to play chess?". The girl nodded, a little confused. Darien continued "Tell you what, if you can beat me in a game of chess, I'll give you some of the deer meat and even cook it." The girl nodded and pointed to an old metal park bench saying "If you have a chess set, we can play there." Darien opened his backpack and pulled out his travel set, walking to the bench. As he set up the game, Darien asked "So where did you learn to play chess?" 
The girl replied "My mother taught me before she died."
Darien made the obligatory noise of sympathy to the mention of a parent's death and continued. "I'm Darien, my dogs are Erwin and Elsa. You can pet them if you like."
"Thank you."
"You're welcome, what's your name?" Asked Darien.
"Elizabeth."
"Nice to meet you, Elizabeth."
"Nice to meet you too, Darien."

As they finished small talk, they began playing and the dogs watched intensely. Within the first few moves, Darien knew that while the girl had some skill, he had her outmatched. So, subtly, he started making moves he knew were not good strategy. Pretty soon, he had successfully thrown the match. Honoring his offer, he took out a knife and cut a sizeable piece of the haunch before skinning it. Walking over to a place clearly intended to be a cookfire, he tossed some kindling and wood on and lit it with his flint-and-steel. After it was ready, he handed it to Elizabeth and said "As we agreed." Elizabeth accepted the meat with gratitude but said "Ah, but it wasn't as we agreed. You threw the match." Startled, Darien looked at her before smiling. "Clever girl. So do you not have anyone to look after you?" 
"Nope. Otherwise I wouldn't be playing chess for food." 
"Well then, come with and I shall teach you what I know. As job training and the internet taught my cousin John and as he taught me, so too will I teach you. Perhaps someday, you might pass the knowledge onto someone else as well!" 
Elizabeth raised an eyebrow and then shrugged. "Might as well. I don't seem to have any other options. So are you adopting me or something?"
Darien thought about this for a moment. "Nah, I'm twenty and you're around ten. It would be weird if I were your father, adoptive or not. Let's go with mentor, that's a neat title."

With his new "apprentice", Darien set out to find someone who would buy the meat. With Elizabeth as a guide through the town, he quickly found the meat shop. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two figures walked into the town of West Bromwich, looking at the sentries cautiously as they entered.  Staying away from populated areas was usually a good idea, only a shaky rule of law was set into place.  Vadim and Katya Tyshchenko preferred to keep away from these places - gangs of raiders tended to poke the defences of settlements like these in the night, and there was precious little regard for the rule of law.  They were here to sell what they had gathered in the forest quickly, and leave just as briskly.

Vadim walked up to a crumbling house, knocking on the wooden door.  His sister sat down on the stone street, unzipping her jacket and sliding the AK-12 off her shoulder so that it rested in her lap.  “Quickly, Vadim.  I want to get out of this shit-place.”  

Her brother nodded, as the door creaked .  A tall old man with a rifle held low stood inside, the smell of raw meat escaping now that the door was open.  “What do you want, boy?”  said the man gruffly, glancing at the armed woman sitting in front of his house.

“You buy meat for your store, yes?  We got a boar.  We have it in our bags, lots of good meat. Meat for ammunition. I’m going to reach for my bag now to show you, please don’t get handy with that rifle.”  Vadim began to take off his backpack, stopping when the man levelled the L85A2 at his chest.

“Hold up, Drago.  I’m not buying from the bastards that ended the bloody world.  Get off my porch, and don’t come back.”  With that, he slammed the door shut.  Vadim shouldered his pack, muttering an insult before stepping away from the entrance. 

Whats wrong?”  said Katya, standing up and looking at the shop with confusion.  "He's not open or something?  Doesn't like pigs?"  Her brother shook his head.  "He doesn't do business with Russians."  Vadim replied in Ukrainian, and gestured for his sibling to follow him.

Elizabeth played with the dogs once they were near the shop. Darien was about to enter the store when he witnessed the shopkeeper throw the man out and he waited until the two siblings were done talking. "Excuse me," he said, walking towards the pair, "maybe I could help? It seems to me that the old fellow doesn't particularly like Russians but perhaps I could act as your middleman and sell the boar meat for you?" 

Vadim glanced over at the newcomer, looking him over.  He didn't look exactly normal, but not many people did these days.  He was offering to help, why should he be judged for his appearance?  "That would be very generous of you, stranger.  What do you want in return?"

"My name's Darien and I'm not asking for anything in return. I just can't stand to see injustice. It upsets me to see someone persecuted for crimes they did not commit. What is your name?" Darien extended his hand to shake Vadim's.

"Vadim Tyshchenko."  He shook Darien's hand, and then pointed to the armed woman standing to his left.  "That is Katya, my sister."  The woman gave a small wave, taking one hand off of her assault rifle.  "I didn't know people still preserved such ideas of justice.  I thank you again, Darien.  We need 5.56 ammunition for the meat."  He removed his pack, and offered it to the stranger.  

""Katya.  Watch him, and if he runs, shoot him."  He said to his sister, speaking in his native tongue.  The young woman smiled at Darien, and said "Thanks you."

"No problem." Said Darien, smiling. He took the pack and walked inside. He greeted the shopkeeper and said "Good afternoon, sir. I'm here to sell some meat. I know this is a strange request but would you kindly pay 5.56 ammunition for the boar meat and .22 ammunition for the deer meat?" He said as opened the pack Vadim had given him to show the boar meat and then offered both meats to the shopkeeper.

Despite the shopkeeper's rifle, Darien was unconcerned. It was completely ordinary that someone be armed when tending to everyday business. Besides, Darien didn't plan on giving the shopkeeper any reason to shoot and a man who shot without reason didn't really have much place in a town. Then again, racism wasn't exactly a trait to indicate a rational mind... It was illogical to hate a pair of young people just trying to survive based solely upon actions that their nation was supposedly responsible. Darien found the idea of Russia starting the virus ludicrous anyways. Why would the Russians unleash a virus that was their undoing as well? Why would any human unleash such a plague for that matter? Clearly it was something inhuman that was responsible with the help of its pawns. He almost chuckled at the notion of Russia starting the virus but restrained himself. That wouldn't be a pleasant conversation since this old fossil was probably rather entrenched in the belief that humans started the plague. And so, he waited for the shopkeeper's response.

The owner nodded at Darien, moving behind a small counter and putting his rifle down.  "Stay right there.  Can't trust many people these days." he said, and disappeared into some sort of back room.  A few moments later, he returned with two small cardboard boxes.  He set them on the counter, and gestured for Darien to come closer.  "Here, I've filled the red box with your NATO rounds and the yellow one with 22.  Count them if you must.  Now, the meat please and thanks."

Darien handed over the meat and picked up the boxes with an obligatory look inside each one. "Pleasure doing business with you." With that, he walked out with the ammo boxes and handed the NATO rounds over to Katya, who was closest to the door. 

The Ukrainian nodded, placing the box of ammunition in her smaller backpack.  She turned to her brother, zipping up her jacket and jerking her head towards the road that lead out of town.  Vadim grinned at Darien, shouldering his now lighter pack.  "Thank you again, American.  By the way, have you heard anything about an organized government farther north from here?  A functioning country?  Everyone in mainland Europe is talking about it..."

Darien twirled his mustache as he considered the concept. "No, I haven't heard of any organized government, though that certainly sounds worth finding if it exists. I came to England to see if any of my relatives were left. Sadly, there were not any survivors other than me. Anyways, I wish you the best of luck in finding the functioning country you speak of, and hey, if it doesn't exist, why not make it exist? Take care."

"Damn.  I'm sorry to hear about your family, a lot of good people have died in these years.  Good luck to you, yankee."  said Vadim, turning to the road with his sibling in tow.  They left the town, walking out into the wilderness - heading north.  Both were still hanging onto the hope that a government was still waiting to be found farther up the British isles.

Darien waved them goodbye. He walked over to Elizabeth and the dogs and got their attention. "Now what are we doing?" Asked Elizabeth. "We're going to go get the rest of the meat I stashed away and either cure it to use as rations or sell it. We're going to buy you some proper gear for the wilderness."
Mostly retired from NS. Telegram me if you like but response time may be extremely slow

Fascistisk State
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Fascistisk State » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:23 pm

Streaks of orange and yellow cut through the English sky as the sun began to sink in the East. The light cut through the forest, reaching the undergrowth below the tree line. Katya Tyshchenko was low to the ground, rustling through the bushes steadily. She wore a netted garment covered in loose strips of burlap, cloth and twine, made to look like leaves and twigs, augmented with scraps of foliage from the area. Vadim followed, trying not to make noise as he followed his sibling. He placed his foot on a twig, sending a crack through the quiet evening. Katy slowly looked backwards, staring at her brother. Vadim could feel the glowering even though he couldn’t see her eyes through the ghillie suit.

In another 15 minutes of walking, Katya stopped abruptly. She tapped her hand on a tall looking tree, and then pointed to a lighted cleared about 15 metres in front of the tree.
“Set your traps. I’ll be here - don’t go far. I’m pretty sure you’ll hear if I see an animal.” she said, and began to climb the tree. Vadim nodded, and began to stalk away through the underbrush.

Katya reached what looked to be a firm branch, and pulled herself up on the wooden limb. She brought her assault rifle up, looking through the scope at the surrounding forest. Seeing nothing, she sighed and unzipped her bag. She pulled a small plastic canteen free, bringing it to her lips and tasting the harsh warmth of Vodka trickle down her throat. She carefully placed it back in the bag, making little noise so that she could listen for movement below. She leaned back against the tree, waiting for prey to wander into her sights.

Crouching low to the ground, Gustav Drake made his way slowly through the forest, his rifle held tightly as his eyes darted around, looking for any signs of movement. He paused to examine a few small patches of disturbed earth. Tracks of some kind, but too smudged to be able to tell what they were from. Shaking his head, he carried on, heading in the direction of the loud crack he had heard only moments ago as something in the distance stepped on a branch. A deer, perhaps? A boar? Whatever it was, it'd feed him for a good while. He drew closer, now staring even more intently into the undergrowth, searching for his target. Passing the broken branch that had caused the sound, he carried on, noticing more areas of freshly disturbed dirt as he went. He crept through the trees for another ten - maybe fifteen - minutes, before stopping dead in his tracks. In front of him lay a small loop of wire, held open at ground level. Someone had been setting traps here. Recently.

“Hey! You go away, or I shoot you!”

Gustav sighed, unfazed by the sudden voice. "Then you'd better be prepared to eat me afterwards, because that gunshot will scare away every deer in a ten mile radius."

“I have the quiet thing, blyat! I can shoot any I like! Now put down your gun and look at the floor, do it slowly!”

Slowly lowering his rifle to the ground, Gustav removed its carrying bag from his shoulder and fastened it inside. "Oh wow, the quiet thing. Five miles then. Why don't you come down from that tree so we can talk face to face." His voice adopted a slightly mocking tone. "And perhaps we can compare our quiet things too."

The voice was silent for a few moments. “You reach for your bag, you’re dead. You raise your head, you’re dead. Stay still if you want to be bullet hole free, vybliadok.” Gustav could hear some rustling in the trees, and then the solid noise of boots dropping from some height and landing on the undergrowth. Silence enveloped the forest again, until he heard a female voice behind him. “Why are you here, eh? In the forest? You raid?”

"Oh yes, I came here to kill you and take all your stuff." He paused a moment for effect. "No, you dumb fuck, I'm hunting for food, same as you. So unless you want to be food free, I'd advise you not to waste your bullets."

Gustav could hear the woman shifting nervously behind him. “That's not funny, you crazy man. I am not in the business of shooting others, but I’m also not good at trusting them. You pick up your bag and throw it back here. Don't touch the gun, don't do that.”

Laughing, Gustav shook his head. "Do you think I'm going to just hand over a Walther WA2000? You realise how much these things are worth, right? Well... were worth, I suppose. Regardless, you're not getting my gun, and you're not going to shoot me." Slowly, he began to turn to face the woman. "Enough games. Who are you?"

The strips of cloth and burlap hung from the raised assault rifle, trembling slightly. The woman was shaking. “I’m a hunter. I trade meat for things I need with a few other people. I’m also not someone who is going to get raped or killed in the middle of this fucking forest, understand? You go for the gun, I kill you. I’ve done it before, I’m not going to hesitate if you start.”

"If I intended to do either of those things, I'd have done them already. You've given me enough chances by standing this close." Gustav looked down at the barrel of the woman's gun and smirked. "I know you're not going to shoot me, so you might as well put that thing away."

The ghillie-clad woman slowly lowered her rifle, backing up a few steps as she did so. “I can raise this quickly, you know.” she said, nodding to the AK-12. “And I have a knife too… Anyway, I told you who I was. Who the hell are you? Hunters don't use WA2000 or whatever fancy rifle you have.”

"Hunters use whatever they can damn well get. It just so happens that hunters with experience in my previous line of work tend to have a better selection. Anyway, my name's Gustav Drake." His mouth formed a sarcastic half-smile. "Does the mysterious talking bush have a name too?"

“My name is Katya Tyshchenko.” said the woman, sitting down cross-legged on the forest ground. She delicately placed her firearm beside her, eyeing the stranger all the while. “Stay over there. I am very hungry, and it seems I will not be shooting anything today.” Katya pulled back her hood, and began to rifle through her own backpack, glancing up every few seconds to make sure that Gustav wasn’t trying anything. She removed a strip of meat, which looked to be dried venison. “You are from around here? You come from the north, any chance?”

Leaving his bag on the ground, Gustav moved to lean against a tree, watching out of the corner of his eye to see if Katya reached for her gun again. "North? No, I've come up from London. Trying to get as far away from it as possible. Well, for now at least... maybe I'll go back one day and settle some business. Yourself?" He pulled the small flask he had recently acquired out of his pocket and took a sip, before holding it out towards Katya. "Try it. It's better than that vodka shit I can smell."

Katya accepted the flask, taking a long swig of the whisky. “Business? In London? I thought that place was very full of gangs, we took a long detour around it.” She examined the flask, and then passed it back to Gustav. “You are right, that is better. Much better.”

Gustav smiled warmly. "Glad you like it." His smile quickly vanished as he continued. "London is fifty percent gangs and fifty percent people trying to defend themselves from gangs. Both groups needed firepower. That was my business. Of course, once the gangs found out I wasn't giving them exclusive access to my products... well, to say they weren't pleased would be an understatement. I barely got out of London alive." He took another sip of whisky, sighing. "Anyway, I've probably told you more than I should have about me. What brings you to this... lovely... part of the world?"

The woman spoke in a mock British accent. “You can tell I am not from here, eh?” She smiled, silently laughing at her own joke. “I came from mainland Europe, with my brother. There are many rumours of a government here, somewhere on the English isles. Haven’t found anything, though. Talked to a lot of people, no one knows anything. What about you? You heard of a government?” Katya took a bite of the dried meat, chewing on it thoughtfully.

At the mention of her brother, Gustav stood a little straighter, eyes flicking back and forth, scanning the forest for any sign of a second person. Seeing nothing, he looked back at Katya. "No, I haven't heard of any government here. Knew a few guys back in London who tried to set one up... I can still picture their bodies hanging from Tower Bridge now. Why on earth would you want government, anyway? Newsflash, Katya, the world is fucked and most of the people are too. You think if someone does manage to establish a government it's gonna be any better than a gang of bandits?"

Katya shrugged. “That is my view as well, Mister Drake. My brother thinks we will hate ourselves if we do not at least try to find it, even if just to make certain it is another voyenachalʹnyk. I don’t even really remember how it was before all this. I grew up in this, but my Father told me it was very nice before the sick and before the war.” She looked up from her bag, staring at Gustav. “Do you remember anything? Before the war?”

Gustav seemed lost in thought for a moment. He sat down opposite Katya, taking a swig of his whisky and holding the flask out to her once more. Looking into her eyes, he sighed. "Not a lot, I was very young then. But I remember... I remember standing on a balcony, looking out across the city I used to call my home, glass towers sparkling in the moonlight as far as the eye could see, lights reflecting off the river as boats sailed along it, little beacons amidst the black water. I remember streets packed with people - they all looked so small from up there, like ants, people smiling, laughing, loving - everywhere the sights and sounds of millions of lives, day in, day out. I took it all for granted back then. Everyone did. Then I remember walking back inside, closing the door. My father was there, leaning forward in his chair, staring at the TV. A woman was talking; she sounded worried - no, terrified. She spoke of... bombs, the Chinese, god knows what else. And then the first one hit." He lowered his head, sadness in his steely grey eyes. "After that... well, you know the rest."

Katya accepted the flask, drinking quickly and passing it back as she listened to the man’s story. She was hanging on his every word, trying to imagine such a place. “That sounds very good. Very, very nice. You lived here, in the England, right? It wasn’t very sunny when I was a girl, in Ukrayina. Always smoke, always soldiers. Lots of fighting. The Americans that pushed through were angry with us, I’ve never really known why. A few months after that, the sick came.” Katya was silent for a few moments. “Do you think it’ll be like that again? I mean like Britain, with the love and laughing and such.”

"People will rebuild, one day." said Gustav. "Not in our lifetimes, but one day..." He paused, shaking his head slightly. "Will life ever be the same as it was before, even after that? Not a chance. You can rebuild a city, but its inhabitants will still spend every day in fear of the next war, the next disease, the next apocalypse. Maybe they'll start to forget after a few centuries, but I don't think something like this will ever truly leave their thoughts."

Katya nodded, looking disappointed. She opened her mouth to speak, but another voice interrupted her before she could utter a single word.

“Khto ebatʹ tse?”

Katya stood up abruptly, looking around the forest. “Vadim! Tse dobre, yoho dobre.”

Another man, wearing a large jacket that looked to be military issue and a black balaclava emerged from a thicket of bushes. He was carrying some kind of metallic wire in one hand - with the other resting on the black grip of a pistol. “Ty v poryadku?” Katya replied in Ukrainian, and the newcomer relaxed, taking his hand off the grip of his pistol. He quickly jogged over to his sibling, leering at Gustav as he took up a position beside Katya.

Gustav examined the new arrival, his hand moving ever so slightly towards his pistol, before deciding against it. He looked at Katya inquisitively. "I take it this is your brother?" She nodded, and he turned back to look at the man. "So there weren't enough bush costumes for both of you then?" He smiled. "Gustav Drake. Good to meet you."

“It is a pleasure to meet you, Mister Drake. My name is Vadim - I see you’ve already met Katya. She tells me you’re a hunter, like us.” He laughed. “And unfortunately, Katya has only made one ‘bush costume’ thus far.” He paused for a moment. ”You want some dried meat? I’m almost sure that my sister hasn’t offered any.” Vadim spoke English far better than his sister did, but he maintained a bold accent, with heavy, rolling R’s.

"Thank you, I appreciate it." said Gustav, accepting the food. Taking a bite, he looked up at the sky, which grew darker every second as the sun slowly sank beneath the trees. "Anyway, it's getting dark, I'm gonna head back into town and find somewhere to stay for the night. Maybe another drink too. You two gonna do the same?" Standing, Gustav retrieved his bag and slung it over his shoulder.

Katya suddenly developed an interest in her boots. “We don’t usually sleep in the town. A great many people do not appreciate our presence.” Vadim took off his balaclava, putting it back in his bag. It didn’t seem they would be doing much hunting tonight. “We could try, at the very least. I’m tired of sleeping in trees.” He looked up at Gustav. “Are you sure we can come into town with you?”

"Of course." replied Gustav. "And if anyone decides to make trouble when we get there..." He reached into his overcoat and removed his pistol, checking the chamber before sliding it back into its holster. "I'm sure I can deal with it."
Last edited by Fascistisk State on Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE FASCISTISK UNION OF STATES AND TERRITORIES
Unitary GovernmentChancellor StraaglandFascistisk Kombihæren

Epsilon Aquarii
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Epsilon Aquarii » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:47 pm

Post co-written by Fascistisk State, New Aerios and Valataria. But it was mostly me.

The town was almost pitch-black because of the night; the moon wasn’t visible and the few light sources in the town were indoors. One building, however, was far more brightly lit than all the others. A black pub sign was present at the front, though unfortunately it was unreadable, as the text was covered up with shadows and dirt. The only clear thing there was an image of a rampant red lion, facing towards the left. The light poured out of the almost-pristine windows, which looked like they had been replaced, or at the very least fixed, very recently. The pub had a large concrete yard at the front, filled with the occasional parallel white lines for the cars of the old world to park.

Inside, it was surprisingly clean and well-furnished to say it was after the end of the world. A small and simple chandelier sat above the main gathering area and the bar, illuminating it perfectly. The areas that didn’t benefit from the chandelier’s light instead had their own little lamps in the corners, giving a more relaxing atmosphere. Finding spaces to sit was never going to be a problem, as there were at least two practically mile-long sofas attached to the walls, two more three-seater sofas on their own, and countless wooden chairs. Most of the tables in front of the seats were covered with cup marks and empty beer bottles, and more than a few bullets in the occupied areas.

Strangely though, unlike the outside where someone would happily gun down anyone else for a tin of beans or a Mars bar, there was an overwhelming sense of calm and even friendliness. The people inside were merrily chatting away, probably forgetting about the fact the world ended fifteen years ago. Of course, not everyone enjoyed or participated in the group chats, who were content to sit on their own left to their own devices. One such person happened to be Ellen, who couldn’t have sat further away from the crowd. She was lay down at the end of one of the pub’s disgustingly long wall sofas, completely absorbed in a book - Eye of Argon, it was called. She didn’t even stop reading when the door opened.

Gustav strode into the pub, taking his long overcoat off and hanging it on a nearby hook, revealing the body armour he wore underneath, and his pistol, which hung in a leather holster under his arm. The two Ukrainians ambled in after him, looking around a little nervously. Leaning on the polished wooden bar, Gustav nodded at the old barman, who strolled over to him, a crooked smile on his wrinkled face. "Alright mate, what can I get you?" Reaching into his pocket, he removed the gold watch he had taken off a body earlier that day and placed it gently on the bar, sliding it over to the man. "Rooms for my friends and I, and three whiskies. Better make them doubles." As the barman went to pour the drinks, Gustav surveyed the room. The usual sort of crowd for a place like this, he thought. Taking one last glance, his eye caught something in the corner. Someone, rather. The quiet thud of glass on wood sounded behind him, and he reached back to pick up his drink, taking a small sip of the amber liquid before slowly wandering over, Vadim and Katya in tow. "Well if it isn't Ellen Joyce. Fancy seeing you again so soon. That old rifle still holding up ok?"

Ellen nodded as she put her book on the table, moving a few bullet casings out of the way. “It’s better than it was before, but that’s not really a feat if I’m honest. But yes, it’s been sound.” She moved her feet off the sofa and gestured to the free space. “Who are you two, then?” she said to Vadim and Katya as the three sat down.

Vadim took a seat next to his sister, admiring his surroundings. "Vadim Tyshchenko is my name. That," he said, pointing to his sibling, who looked more concentrated on gulping down whisky than acknowledging the question, "is my sister Katya. It is nice to meet you, Miss Ellen."

“Nice to meet you, too.” Ellen replied, with a small smile. She took a moment to look at their equipment, finding herself pleasantly surprised by the quality, not only of their guns, but their clothes and other bits and bobs too. “You lot ‘ave some brilliant kit, don’t you? How did you manage to get all that?”

“Kalashnikovs are littered on the earth of mainland Europe like leaves fallen from an oak.” said Vadim, gesturing to the rifle that his sister was keeping close to her person. “Plenty of dead soldiers wearing warm uniform, as well. We gather what we can. But I suppose the war didn't really reach British shores, did it?”

Ellen responded with a small, sarcastic chuckle. “The war didn’t, aye. So we have countless ex-soldiers running about, thinking they own the place. They’re right gimps, the bleedin’ Marines especially. Was it any better for you guys, in Eastern Europe?”

Vadim shook his head slowly. “Not really. The great armies never went home when the sick began to kill people, and the soldiers did not act well. There is no order in Ukrayina. Only death.” He looked over at his sister, who was still drinking. He harshly whispered something in Ukrainian, and she put her glass on the table sheepishly.

Ellen lowered her gaze to the table. “That’s a shame. So, you managed to get from the Ukraine to the UK? Must have taken some determination.” She looks over at Gustav, who was pretty clearly enjoying his whisky. “Well, where have you three come from? I’m from Dublin, myself.”

Gustav placed his glass back down on the table. "London. Used to be an arms dealer down there. The place was - still is - crawling with gangs, and they all wanted an exclusive partnership. I refused. Then they tried to kill me when they found their own men gunned down with my merchandise." He picked up his whisky again, swirling it around, the ice cubes gently clinking against the sides of the glass. "Just about managed to escape with my life... might take a while for my business to recover though."

Ellen looked extremely disheartened about what she heard about London, and although she wanted to say something, anything at all, she simply stammered. “I-I-I…” She covered her face with her hands and slouched in her seat. After a deep breath, she tried to speak again. “Is that all there is in London? Surely there must be a safe spot or some form of civilisation there at least?”

Shaking his head, Gustav continued. "I'm afraid not, Ellen. The entire damn city's under the control of various gangs, each one more vicious and brutal than the last. Anyone who goes against them gets chained to a block of concrete and thrown in the Thames. If they're lucky." He took a long sip of his whisky. "I had a friend back there, he wanted to set up some kind of independent settlement, a civilisation outside the gangs' control. They tortured him for a week, then hung him from Tower Bridge. If you were planning on paying London a visit, I'd advise you to reconsider."

"Wait, we heard there was some kind of community being established north of here, somewhere around Manchester or Liverpool. Thats where we were travelling, after we realised that London is still in a state of anarchy. Have you heard anything about that, Miss Ellen?" Vadim began to clutch his glass tighter, staring at Ellen with wide eyes, waiting for a response with baited breath.

Ellen shook her head. “There’s bugger all in Manchester or Liverpool. Well, aside from the gangs which shoot anyone who’s in their way, of course. They’re well-armed too.” She reached over the table for her book, trying to find her page while talking. “Reckon they’re American deserters; I saw a few guys in grey camouflage with small American flags on their arms. I heard they had a garrison in Warrington before the virus.”

“Koorvah… I should have known the rumours were not true.” said Vadim, sinking in his seat. “So London is gone, as is the cities north of here. Gangs and warlords. Is there anywhere else to go? I am getting most of my information about this place from an old map. It is not very detailed.”

"Well, we could try Wal- no, let's not, actually. Rather not have to deal with gangs of bloodthirsty sheep. We could keep heading north into Scotland... fuck all by way of civilisation, but there's a lot more whisky." Gustav downed what remained of his drink and began to stand. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to get another drink. Anyone else want one?"

Katya raised her hand. “I would like more of that whisky that you bought before, please. And Mister Drake is right, we should go to Scotland. The sheep eyes freak me out.” She turned her head, facing her brother. This time, she spoke in Ukrainian. “But not with all these people. We have not needed them before, a change will only make us slow.”

Ellen looked up at him, while still flicking through the book to find her page. “Yeah sure. Get us a glass of water please, matey.” She fished a few .45 rounds out from her back pocket and handed them to Gustav. “To pay for it. I’m not sure about Scotland though… Since London’s a no-go, I was thinking maybe Norfolk or somewhere ‘round there.”

Gustav laughed. "Norfolk was full of inbred mutants before the apocalypse. I dread to think what kind of shit we'd find there now." Gathering up the empty glasses, he turned and strolled off in the direction of the bar.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Annabelle was a long way from home. The 23 year old strode into the dilapidated town of West Bromwich, concluding her 117 mile trek all the way from the Palace of Westminster. As she walked along the streets in search of shelter and civilisation, she found herself disappointed. A small group of survivors that she had met on her travels a while back had told her that people were gathering and attempting to form a new settlement in the ruins of West Bromwich, however Annabelle was now being presented with evidence to the contrary. Nevertheless she was exhausted and needed a place to stay and rest for a while, so she soldiered on and headed towards the centre of town with her trusty Webley Mk.VI revolver in hand, just in case. Stepping through the streets was a difficult task in itself, as they had been torn apart and deformed by the roots of trees and plants that had reclaimed the Earth years ago, making traversing them somewhat strenuous. Seeing lights and hearing laughter ahead, Annabelle quickened her pace as what appeared to be an old pub came into view. The building was in remarkable condition, especially in comparison to the surrounding buildings. Although initially suspicious of the pub, thinking that it could possibly be a raider hideout, she quickly came to the conclusion that it was relatively safe, as evidenced by the surprisingly calm atmosphere of the place. Annabelle holstered her pistol and opened the door. She felt most eyes turn to her as she walked in and sat at the bar, waiting for the barman to come over to her. The clink of metal echoed next to her, and Gustav leaned on the bar, sliding a handful of loose bullets across the wooden surface. He turned to Annabelle, raising an eyebrow. Not the usual sort of customer in a place like this, he thought. Getting her attention, he spoke. "Can I buy you a drink?"

“I certainly wouldn’t mind one, Stranger.” she replied, immediately noticing his somewhat thuggish appearance. “You seem quite eager. I wouldn’t get too excited though; I don’t plan on staying for longer than I have to.”

Gustav laughed. "Neither do I, I'm just passing through. Hopefully at some point I'll find somewhere nicer than this shithole." He paused, and cocked his head slightly. "You're from London, right? Unless my skill at distinguishing accents is getting rusty. I've come up from there myself."

“Yes, I am indeed from London, Westminster to be precise. I’m almost impressed!” Annabelle replied, this time with a hint of curiosity. “But anyway, where is it that you plan on heading next? Further north I’d imagine?”

"Probably. I haven't exactly decided yet, I was just trying to put some distance between myself and London at first. I can't say I hold out much hope for finding anything decent up north... every place I've passed through so far has been like this at best, or... well, I don't like to talk about the worst. Still, I suppose it's worth a shot. You heading north too?" Gustav turned as the barman approached. "Two whiskies and a water to that table over there." He gestured back to the corner he had come from. "Another whisky for me, and a... what are you having?" He looked back at Annabelle. "Wait, don't tell me... red wine?"

“Oh yes please!” she responded excitedly. “I could never say no to some wine! I managed to find a bottle whilst I was heading here, and it was absolutely exquisite. Some more would be marvellous, thank you!” Whilst Gustav ordered the drinks, Annabelle wondered whether or not she should stay with this guy, at least for a while. She saw the table he had gestured towards, and they seemed to be doing pretty well for themselves, and they certainly weren’t lacking in protection. Figuring that she would be better off with them, she turned back to Gustav and asked “If you’re heading north, I don’t suppose you’d allow me to come along with you?”

Gustav thought for a moment. "Well, if you've made it this far, you can clearly handle yourself... couldn't hurt to have you along for the ride." He smiled warmly. "By the way, I don't think I've actually introduced myself properly yet... Gustav Drake. A pleasure to meet you."

“Annabelle, and it’s a pleasure to meet you too.” She replied, cautious not to mention her surname. Her mother was a very well known politician who had lobbied for the war which resulted in an apocalypse, worrying Annabelle that things might not end well for her if people were to find out who she really was. “Oh and thank you for letting me tag along, travelling alone was starting to get boring.”

"It was getting a little boring for me too, to be honest. I rather think I'll be glad of your company, Annabelle." The clink of glass signified that the drinks had arrived, and he passed a glass of red wine over to Annabelle before picking up his whisky, swirling it around for a moment before taking a sip. "Shall we head back over to the others? I've only just met them today myself, but I'll introduce you to them."

“Of course, I do hope they’re not too gruff! They certainly look like they can handle themselves if nothing else.” she replied, taking a quick sip of her wine before heading off with Gustav. “Thank you for the drink by the way, it’s truly delectable."

"You're welcome." He chuckled. "And they may look scary, but they all seem nice enough so far." The pair strolled back to the table where Ellen and the two Ukrainians were sat. Gustav took his seat, shuffling along a little and gesturing for Annabelle to sit down beside him. "Everyone, this is Annabelle. Annabelle, this is Ellen, Katya, and Vadim." He pointed to the three as he spoke.

Ellen looked up from her book at the newcomer, getting a good look at her, from her gear to her face. “And, who might you be?” she asked, with friendliness in her voice. Then, her eyes focused on her backpack, noting its origin. “Never mind, I don’t want to know.” This time, she sounded far more angry and bitter. Ellen immediately looked back at her book.

Vadim glanced at Ellen, noting the tone that she had directed at the new arrival. He then settled his gaze on Annabelle, extending his hand to the young woman. “Hello, miss Annabelle. It is very nice to meet you.” With his other hand, he awkwardly pointed at Gustav. “So you two know each other?” Gustav shook his head slightly. "As of about two minutes ago, I suppose."

Katya gave the newcomer a small wave, staring at the rucksack that she wore on her back. “So you take off the dead, right? Or are you a soldier?”

“Good evening everyone, it’s nice to meet you all.” she said as she sat down next to Gustav, immediately feeling somewhat uncomfortable thanks to Ellen’s aggressive tone and the others eyeing her rucksack. “And no, I am no soldier, nor do I take from the dead if I can help it. This rucksack once belonged to a very good friend of mine, that’s all.”

“Why do you not take from dead? They do not have need for coats and boots and guns. They are dead.” replied Katya, regarding the woman with a puzzled gaze as she sat down with the rest of the group. Vadim shooed his sibling away. “It is a noble thing to do, in my opinion. Don’t mind my sister, she doesn’t mean to be rude.”

“It’s fine. At this point I’m used to the rudeness, although considering where I grew up I suppose that’s not exactly surprising.” Annabelle replied before turning back to Katya. “To me it just seems disrespectful to take from the dead. I never take anything that I don’t need, especially if the deceased was an innocent.”

“What made you think bringing her over here was a good idea?” Ellen asked, not taking her eyes off her book. “Nothing good came from the Army or those associated with the Army before the war, much less now. Give it a week, we’ll all be dead.”

Annabelle was quite offended by the young Irishwoman’s comments. Ellen had only just met her and yet she was already certain that Annabelle would lead them all to their deaths, just with one quick look at her rucksack. “We’ll all be dead in a week? How did you figure that one out?” Annabelle inquired, her tone rather defensive. She could already tell that she was not going to get on particularly well with Ellen. “I’ve already told you that I’m not a soldier, although I will admit that I have received some training from a Royal Marine, namely the good friend that this rucksack that has gotten you so worked up came from. Surely this training would benefit the group, would it not? Or would you prefer that I leave, if I am such an apparent liability?”

“Marines? I take it back; we’ll be killed in our sleep tonight.” She closed her book; putting it into her bag and zipping it up. “I’m going to my room. Locking the door too. You’d all do the same if you were smart.” Ellen got up off the sofa, taking her bag and glass of water with her. “Sleep well, you three.”

Gustav watched her leave, raising an eyebrow. He turned to Annabelle, his voice taking on a joking tone. "Don't worry, I'm sure she's lovely once you get to know her... fucking hell, an Irishwoman who doesn't drink, no wonder she's so grumpy." He picked up his glass, swirling it around a little and taking a small sip. "By the way, you're not planning on killing me in my sleep tonight, are you?"

“Not unless you give me a reason to.” Annabelle jokingly replied, before switching to a much more serious tone. “What is her problem with me though? Does she just hate anyone who has even the tiniest relation to the military? She seemed pretty convinced that I’d be nothing but a hindrance to you guys, and I have to admit that it’s causing me to have second thoughts about all of this. Are you sure letting me come with you would be a good idea?”

"I don't know her exact reasons, but the British Army and the Irish people have never had the friendliest of relations. I'd say that's probably something to do with her... less than courteous attitude. Anyway, that's her problem, not yours. You said it yourself, Annabelle, your skills would benefit us all. I'm sure Ellen will come to see that soon enough." Gustav leaned in a little closer to Annabelle, dropping his voice to a hushed murmur. "And if it comes down to a choice, I'd pick someone who was trained by a marine over someone who doesn't even know how to unjam their own fucking rifle any day."

“An easy choice for anyone with even a mite of intelligence, I would’ve thought. Evidently this is just something that your friend is lacking.” Annabelle muttered with a slight chuckle. “Somehow I’m not exactly seeing me and her being the best of friends, but oh well, if she can’t be bothered to maintain her own weapon properly I suppose I have the advantage there. My revolver might be old, but at least I know how to take care of it! Even failing that, I’ve always got this sword of mine to fall back on, and believe me, I know how to use it.” Finishing off the last of her wine, Annabelle stood up. “Regardless, I should probably head up and get some sleep. Actually getting to this place has left me feeling more than a bit exhausted, so goodnight, I’ll see the three of you in the morning!” With that said, Annabelle collected a key from the barman, and headed up the stairs to find her room.

"Goodnight, Annabelle." Severus turned to Vadim and Katya as he finished the last of his drink and checked his watch. "Right, I'm gonna head up to bed too. See you two tomorrow." Rising from his seat, he walked over to the bar to collect his key and leave his empty glass behind, before heading over to the staircase and disappearing upstairs.

“Well, this has kicked off to a fantastic start.” said Katya, finishing her drink and setting the empty on the table. “And no one cleared their drinks. Rude.” Vadim stood up, taking his jacket from the back of his chair and putting it on. “I’m going to bed. Come on, lets give the barman his glasses back.” Vadim and Katya placed the empty mugs on the bar, and retired to their room.
Last edited by Epsilon Aquarii on Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The process that unshackles the most light is caused by the thing that best imprisons it

New Aerios
Minister

Founded: Apr 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Aerios » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:51 pm

Post co-written with Epsilon Aquarii, Fascistisk State, and Zaurell.

As the first rays of bright morning light slowly filtered in through the windows, Gustav padded quietly down the staircase, Vadim and Ellen following close behind, all three with their rifles slung across their shoulders. Making their way through the ground floor of the pub, Gustav took a quick detour, jogging over to the bar and knocking sharply on the hard wooden surface. The bartender woke with a start, coughing. Gustav waited for a second while he came to his senses, calmly leaning against the bar. "Good morning. Can you do me a favour, mate?" He waited for a moment more, until he was sure the barman was listening. "When the two women come downstairs - you know who I mean, the blonde one from Eastern Europe and the tall one who sounds like the Queen - can you let them know that we've just gone out hunting and we'll be back soon?" The man nodded, still bleary-eyed, yawning as he poured himself a coffee.

A short and rather uneventful trek through the ruined streets and abandoned buildings of West Bromwich later, the trio reached the outskirts of the town, an area now almost entirely reclaimed by dense green forest, the morning sky filled with birdsong as they made their way into the trees with their weapons at the ready. Raising his rifle to his shoulder, Gustav peered through his scope, watching for movement between the trees. It was not an easy task, owing to the rapidly rising sun shining through the leaves, creating dappled patterns of light which danced across every surface. Nevertheless, something caught his eye. He glanced back over his shoulder. "Got something. Movement between those two trees, range... I'd say about a hundred metres." He looked back into his scope just in time to see another brief flash of movement. Gustav crept slowly forward, gesturing to the others to follow. "Keep your movements slow and quiet, I'm gonna try and get a better shot."

Ellen unclipped her black paintball mask from her belt, cleaning its eyes with her sleeve before putting it over her head. “I’ll just keep watch then, I suppose… Make it quick, I feel uncomfortable in woodland. Too many places for someone to hide.” Another flash of movement appeared in the distance, going right to left. “What d’ya think it is? Hope it’s something big, I’m starving.”

Gustav edged forward a little more, kneeling down and resting his rifle on a fallen tree, once more peering through his scope. A bush rustled a short distance away, and he shifted his aim over to it just as a large deer emerged from behind it, its head twitching from side to side, preparing to run once again. He quickly waved at the others to stop, before focusing back on his target, making small adjustments to the dials on his scope. A moment passed, before the suppressed rifle coughed and the animal fell to the ground. The birds fell silent, and suddenly the whole forest was quiet save for the occasional falling leaf. The trio slowly made their way over to the deer, Gustav placing his rifle back into its bag and removing a long straight-bladed cavalry sword in its place, razor-sharp edge glinting as sunlight met steel. "Shit. Three centimetres from the heart. It's still breathing." He rushed foward, placing the tip of the sword against the animal and ramming it in, piercing its heart and putting it out of its misery. "Done. Looks like we're gonna have plenty to eat for a while."

“We’re not dragging this thing back, are we?” Ellen asked, as she scanned the dense forest for anything suspicious. In her eyes there was the look of nervousness about the whole idea. “We’d be robbed almost immediately and it’d take too long anyway. I say we just cut the decent bits off… Maybe sell the rest?” She looked to the fallen deer, awkwardly fumbling her rifle and adjusting her stance.

"Alright. You deal with that and I'll make sure you aren't interrupted. I'd do it myself, but a sword is hardly the ideal tool for it." Gustav reached into his coat and drew his pistol, taking up position behind a nearby tree and watching every inch of the forest around them. Another bush rustled in the distance, and he raised the weapon, staring down the sights at the area the movement had come from. "Better make it quick, Ellen. Vadim, find some cover and make sure you're ready to fire. We might have company."

“Yes, okay.” said Vadim, looking around at the edges of the forest. He removed his pistol from his belt, checking the ammunition and sinking lower to the ground. He pulled the hood of his jacket up, nervously chewing on the inside of his mouth.

“Oh fine…” she replied, broadly dragging out the ‘fine’. She jogged towards the corpse of the deer, kneeling beside it as she took off her backpack. From one of the bag’s side pockets she pulled out a 7 inch carving knife, while from the other side she took out and unravelled a small, wrinkled bag. She stared at the deer for a moment, before sighing as she cut the deer’s abdomen open, between its ribs. She shoved one of her hands into the cut, pulling out its entrails. Who put you in charge? You’ve got a sword; I don’t see why you can’t do it. Better yet, get the Ukrainian to do it. He’s the one that actually hunts. Her hand was covered with the deer’s blood and when she pulled out its innards completely, the blood began to pour out and pool at her knees. She wiped the blood off onto the deer’s fur and grabbed her knife again, cutting away some of the fur and flesh from the top of the deer’s right hind leg until it reached the bone, and did the same on the other side. Then, she slipped the knife between two joints, severing the limb’s connection to the body. She did the same to the deer’s front right leg, although the job was far easier and simpler.

While Ellen worked, Gustav and Vadim continued to watch the trees, occasionally glancing back to check her progress. The forest was oddly quiet now, and they felt a mounting sense of unease, gripping their guns a little tighter. Suddenly, without warning, a sharp crack sounded in the distance and a branch next to Gustav exploded, sending splinters flying in all directions. Gustav ducked, peering out from behind the tree just in time to spot a second muzzle flash, the bullet throwing up dirt next to his feet. He stood, levelling his pistol at the distant target, the long barrel gleaming in the sun as he took aim and squeezed the trigger. The gunshot echoed through the trees, a bright flash of flame exploding from the end of the pistol as a bullet slammed into the enemy with pinpoint accuracy. Vadim ducked behind a fallen tree, quickly raising his pistol and peeking over at the enemy, seeing sharp bursts of light in the distance. He tried to settle his breathing, he knew that his aim was better when he wasn’t so scared. He rose to one knee, aiming the weapon down where he saw the flashes. He squeezed the trigger a few times, trying to hit the dark shapes that he could see and quickly settling back behind his tree. The firing stopped for a moment, and Vadim glanced over the wood for just a moment - only to be showered with debris from the bullets hitting close to his head. “Blyat! Iebana shlooha!” he cried, firing his pistol blindly over the top of the cover and trying to get lower to the ground. As Vadim fired, Gustav spun around to emerge from the other side of the tree, running forward a short distance to crouch behind a large rock. A few rounds ricocheted off the stone, but by the sound of it most of the enemy were still focusing their fire on Vadim's position. Moving forward again, Gustav began to fire once more. His first shot landed wide, and his target turned, preparing to unleash a hail of gunfire in his direction. Before the man could pull the trigger, his body jerked backwards, falling to the forest floor as one of Vadim's bullets found its mark. As he hit the ground, Gustav shifted his aim as two more figures emerged from the trees. He fired, placing two rounds into the chest of the first one and hitting the second in the head. They fell to the ground, dead in an instant. A bush rustled next to where their bodies had landed, and he sent another two bullets into it. There was a loud scream of pain, followed by silence. Cautiously, Gustav advanced, moving around the bush and stepping over the corpses to discover a single survivor, bleeding heavily from the two bullet holes in his right leg. He groaned as he saw Gustav approach, breathing quickly as he held the torn sleeve of his shirt over his wounds, desperately trying to stem the bleeding. Gustav levelled his pistol at the man's head. "Where did you come from, and are there any more of your little gang?" His words were met with silence for a second, before the dying man spat at Gustav's feet, splattering blood on his boots. Gustav smiled sadistically. "Tell me and I'll let you go. Refuse..." Keeping his gun trained on his head, he pulled out a Swiss Army knife, carefully selecting the smallest blade before crouching down and positioning it against the man's crotch, "...and you die slowly and painfully. I know ways to drag your death out for weeks, and make you spend every second in unimaginable agony. Now talk." The man tried to back away, shuffling along the ground with fear in his eyes. Gustav stood, slowly walking forward, spinning his knife around in his hand. "You have five seconds to start talking before I start cutting."
"Ok, ok, I'll tell you! Listen, we have a camp about a mile that way." He raised his arm to point out the direction, gasping at the sharp rush of pain the movement caused. "There are... eight more guys. Maybe less, a few might have gone out."
Gustav nodded, smiling, listening intently as the raider spoke. "That wasn't so hard, was it? You've been a great help. And now for my end of the bargain, I'm going to let you go." He turned, now facing away from the wounded man, and took a few steps. As the raider struggled to rise to his feet, trying to avoid putting weight on his injured leg, Gustav spun a little more to stand side on to the man, before raising his pistol and putting a round directly into the centre of his forehead, killing him instantly. "There. Gone."

Ellen emerged from behind the bush where the deer died with a full bag of its meat. Her forearms and lower legs were painted red with the deer’s blood, and there were visible red marks on her coat where she tried to wipe it off her hands. “Was there any need for that?” she asked, looking away from the body as soon as she saw it and looked Gustav in the eyes. She saw a little glimmer in his eyes, as well as a smirk that gave away what he was thinking. “Oh, no. That’s not happening. We’ve got our food for the next day or two; we might as well go back…”

"If I'd let him live, he would have gone straight to the rest of his friends and warned them." Gustav holstered his pistol, before bending down to search the body, taking a few magazines of ammunition from the dead raider's pockets. "You can go back if you want, Ellen. Feel free, I'm not going to stop you." He looked into her eyes for a moment. "Or we can take out the rest of these bandits. Together. If we're going to start travelling, we need more supplies than a couple of deer legs. This camp will presumably have enough to sustain everyone who lives - lived - there." He smirked. "That's my way of looking at it, at least - if it makes you feel any better, I suppose we'd also be stopping these fuckers from preying on poor innocent people..."

She folded her arms - getting more blood on her coat - and looked around the forest. “Fine. But if I get any more blood on me, I’m blaming you. Especially if it’s my own blood.” She pulled her rifle out of her bag’s side holster and pulled the bolt back, allowing a round and its casing to fly out of the weapon. “Shit.” She said, bending down to pick it up and biting her lip. “You never saw that. Come on then, you lead the way. It’s all you’ve done this morning.” she added, under her breath.

“Isus Khrystos, I get really tired of being shot at.” said Vadim, emerging from the shrubbery. He put his hands on his knees, panting heavily. He glanced up, noticing that both Gustav and Ellen looked to be preparing to move. “Alright, lets go back to that village. Right?” Neither of his comrades moved. “Right?
“Blame him, not me.” muttered Ellen. “The sooner we get to that camp, the sooner we get back.”

"Exactly. So let's go." Noticing Vadim's face fall, Gustav laughed. "Come on, it'll be fun!" Taking his rifle out of its bag once again, he checked the chamber before slinging the weapon over his shoulder and striding off in the direction of the camp, beckoning for the others to join him. Reluctantly, they followed.

The smell of smoke began to permeate the air as the group drew closer to their target, the sounds of voices carrying through the trees. Gustav slowed his pace, creeping slowly forward until the camp was in sight. Resting his rifle on a branch, he surveyed the area through his scope. In a small clearing sat a collection of tents, pitched around a smouldering fire. Five raiders sat on logs in the centre of the camp, drinking and smoking, loudly discussing their less-than-savoury exploits. Three more patrolled the perimeter of the camp, rifles lazily hanging from their hands. Gustav circled around to take up position behind a different tree, a location which provided a better view of the target. Quickly removing the magazine from his rifle, he refilled it with a few loose rounds before sliding it back into the gun, pulling the charging handle back a little to check the chamber. He glanced back, checking that Ellen and Vadim were ready. "Wait for my shot," he whispered, "we'll take the three patrolling guards first. Vadim, take the one on the right. Ellen, left is yours. I'll take the centre." They nodded, and Gustav resumed watching the enemy, motionless, his breathing calm and measured. Without warning, he squeezed the trigger, the bullet leaving the barrel with a wisp of smoke and slamming into the base of the raider's neck, ripping his spine in two.

Vadim fired five shots at the guard on the right, two bullets catching the raider in his centre of mass. The man fell to the ground, dead, as Vadim took aim at the other enemies scrambling to take cover near their campfire. He squeezed the trigger, only to hear the dry clicking of an empty magazine. It seemed he had used all of his rounds firing at the first attackers.

Vadim ducked behind a tree, pulling another magazine from his parka. While he was reloading his gun, he glanced at Gustav. He looked almost too calm doing all this killing, and Vadim was sure that he had plenty of experience doing it. Perhaps Katya was right when she had said that they shouldn’t get involved with strangers… A bullet passed by his head, shaking him from his thoughts. He finished loading his weapon and broke from the cover of the tree, firing fairly blindly at the raiders.

Ellen had her rifle pointed at the last raider there, waiting for Vadim and Gustav to shoot their targets. The sound of their gunshots was unmistakable and thunderous to her, never mind the raiders in the camp. The raider she was supposed to shoot had hidden behind a tree, blocking both Vadim and Gustav’s potential shots. Ellen, however, had a perfect shot at the man. She held her breath and closed her eyes as she pulled the trigger. Her bullet hit him on the left side of his chest, just below the shoulder blade. He fell – or more accurately, was blasted – to the ground by the bullet’s force. Ellen watched the body for a few seconds, waiting for any movement, though none came. Oh fuck. The rest of the raiders in the camp were focusing mostly on Vadim and Gustav, although one caught sight of Ellen and popped off a few shots with their handgun.

All the bullets ‘missed’, yet one slightly lucky shot grazed her left arm, taking a few layers of skin with it, along with some of her blouse, hoodie and coat. Ellen ran behind a tree while holding her wound with her right hand. She had a few seconds to compose herself, before popping out from behind the tree with her rifle pointed at the advancing raider. Her first shot went wide, though the second hit the raider square in the mouth, tearing the upper vertebrae apart. She returned to the relative safety of the tree, and as the firefight raged on behind her, she took off her bag, then her coat and hoodie in order to get a better look at her wound, shouting in pain as she did so.

Quickly leaning his rifle up against the tree trunk, Gustav broke cover, drawing his pistol as he sprinted forward. A raider emerged from behind a tent, and Gustav changed course, heading straight for the man as he fired, his bullets ripping through the raider's body. As he drew close, Gustav leapt, bringing his legs up to slam into the wounded raider's chest, sending him flying through the air and throwing up a cloud of dust and fallen leaves upon landing. Taking cover for a brief moment behind the tent, Gustav pulled out his sword. Brandishing the blade in his left hand with his pistol in his right, he advanced once more, turning a corner to see a raider with his back to him, concentrating his fire on either Ellen or Vadim. Moving quickly but quietly, Gustav came closer before driving his sword deep into the back of the enemy's leg, twisting the blade as the raider screamed in pain and fell to his knees. Placing his pistol against the back of the man's head, Gustav fired, the raider's face exploding with blood and fragments of bone as the bullet left his skull. He raised the gun just in time as another enemy ran towards him wielding a large machete. Ducking the first blow, Gustav fired two rounds into his attacker's stomach as he used the man's momentum to sweep his legs out from under him and throw him to the ground. Aiming at his head, Gustav pulled the trigger. The gun emitted a metallic click in response. Empty. Shit, he thought, shoving the weapon back into its holster. No time to reload now. Switching his sword into his right hand, he swung it downwards onto the fallen raider's neck, inflicting a deep cut that sliced neatly through the spinal cord.

The camp was silent now, and Gustav glanced around, uneasy. He had killed four enemies personally. Assuming Ellen and Vadim had hit their targets, that brought the total up to six. He spotted another corpse on the other side of the camp. Seven. Gustav spun around, his sword arm extended, looking for any sign of the eighth raider. Nothing. Still wary, he started to head back to the others. A bloodthirsty scream of rage echoed through the air, and he turned just in time to see the last raider running towards him, waving a rifle - presumably jammed or empty - with a long, serrated blade attached to the end as a makeshift bayonet. Deftly sidestepping the initial assault, Gustav parried a wild swing before driving his own blade forward. The raider jumped back, and Gustav's sword sliced through the air inches from his chest. Still screaming, the man charged forward once more, swinging frantically. Gustav stepped back, waiting for an opening, but the raider's assault was relentless. Taking the closest thing to an opportunity that was presented, Gustav thrusted forward, his sword sinking into the man's side. Gustav twisted the blade, still keeping it inside the wound as he cut deeper and deeper, the enemy's own attacks growing weaker and more desperate by the second. Ripping his sword back out, Gustav tore a gaping wound in his opponent's side, a torrent of blood gushing from where steel had separated flesh. As the raider slowly lowered his weapon, his wounds too great to continue fighting, Gustav raised his blade to the man's throat and sliced it open, letting him fall to the floor as he feebly gasped for air to no avail.

Sheathing his sword once more, Gustav strolled out of the camp towards the trees, quickly taking out his pistol and sliding a new magazine into it, pulling the toggle joint upwards and back to chamber a round before holstering it again. As he approached, he heard moans of pain close by. Breaking into a run, he followed the sound a short distance, rounding a large tree to discover its source. Ellen was still lying against the tree, covering her graze with her hand. Her bag was wide open and its contents all jumbled up, and some things taken out, like a pack of wet wipes that weren’t even ‘wet’ anymore. One or two of them were scattered across the ground with some blood on them. “You know, if I wasn’t in the worst pain imaginable, I’d be punching you in the throat right now.” she managed to say, in between grimaces.

"To be honest, I wouldn't blame you. Where are you hit? Ah, there." Gustav knelt down and looked at Ellen's wound. "It's just a little scratch, you'll be fine." He smiled at her before turning his head and shouting back into the trees. "Vadim, get over here!"

Vadim jogged over to the trees, shoving his pistol roughly in his belt. He looked at Ellen, who seemed to have been shot. "You are hit in the arm, yes? I have some cloth in my bag, only a moment." He sat cross legged on the forest floor, setting his rucksack on the ground in front of him. He pulled free some old looking white rags - perhaps they had been medical supplies a long time ago. "Better than wet wipes, believe me." he said, offering the cloth to the injured woman.

“Thanks.” she said, taking her hand off the wound to grab the cloth. She rolled the sleeve of her left arm up over the cut, yelping in pain as she did so. She took a deep breath, and then wrapped the cloth around her arm as tightly as she could. “Why don’t you two look around the camp for supplies and whatnot? I’ll get myself sorted and I’ll join you when I can.”

“Da, da.” said Vadim, standing once again. “Oh, I almost forgot.” He removed a small metal flask, and tossed it to Ellen. “Numbs the pain, if you’d like.” He walked over to the dead raiders, squatting over them and rummaging through their supplies. He stuffed his pockets full of loose ammunition and food, even taking the boots from one of the dead.

Gustav moved over to the other side of the camp, searching the raiders he had killed and filling his bag with ammunition, before searching through the tents. He emerged a minute later, dragging a heavy backpack, which he set down next to the campfire and began to rifle through, pulling out more ammunition and food. Digging deeper, he pulled out a handful of jewellery and a gold flip lighter - presumably taken from one of the raiders' victims. He peered closer at his haul, carefully examining the quality of what he had found, before selecting a few pieces and stuffing them into his pockets, leaving the rest behind and moving on to the next tent. Within a few seconds, he burst out again, clutching a small green box stamped with a white cross.

Ellen had since got up off the tree and packed everything back into her backpack, in a surprisingly neat fashion. She was busy searching the body of the second person she killed, making sure to use her left arm as little as possible. Ellen found two magazines full of .45 ammunition and a battered SIG P220, with another half-full magazine in the gun. She went on to check the raider’s coat pockets, and what she found turned out to be mostly useless items except for the M2 red dot sight hidden away. Unfortunately, the glass on the front end was cracked, making it very hard to actually use.

As Ellen was looting the corpse of the ill-fated wrongdoer, a deep voice spoke from behind her a short distance away. "Hello? I assure you I mean no harm. In fact, I believe you have disposed of some enemies we seem to have had in common."

Ellen jumped up immediately, aiming her rifle at the stranger. “Can’t take you at your word, I’m afraid!” she shouted. “Just put your hands up, and do not touch anything. Otherwise I’ll have to shoot you, and none of us want that.”

Darien sighed and raised his hands without a weapon in either. "Ma'am, I can understand your reluctance to trust a complete stranger under the current circumstances but surely the fact that I did not attack while your back was turned is an indication that I speak the truth."

“There are plenty of people who work in teams. Distraction and attack from behind.” She sighed and lowered her weapon slightly, so she could get a proper look at who she was pointing the gun at. She looked over her shoulder to see Vadim and Gustav looting the tents and bodies. “Vadim, Gus! I’ve got someone you might want to have a look at!”

Jogging over with his pistol raised, Gustav eyed the stranger, slowly circling around him, the long, slender barrel of his gun aimed directly at his head. "On your knees and put your hands on your head. Now." He waited a moment, before making a show of checking the chamber of his weapon and aiming it once again, glaring at the man down the sights and raising his voice a little. "I said now. Do you fucking understand me? Now. At once. Immediately. Unless you want me to put a bullet straight through your fucking face."

Keeping his expression calm and neutral despite the new urge to murder this newcomer and hang him on a tree by his intestines, Darien did as he was told. "You seem to be a fan of drama. I'm sorry to say I will not be causing any, I hope it doesn't sadden you too much."

Gustav raised his eyebrows slightly as the man spoke. "Great, you're a fucking yankee. I can tell we're gonna get along just fine..." Moving around behind him, Gustav detached the sling from his rifle and used it to bind the stranger's hands together tightly. "So you conveniently show up just after we've finished clearing out a camp full of raiders... to call that suspicious would be an understatement. You see, I think you might be one of them yourself. You've just come back to camp to find your mates dead, and now you're trying to save your own arse." He fixed the man with a cold, unblinking glare. "Prove me wrong."

"If I were a raider returned to find all my buddies dead, revealing myself to the people that managed to kill them all would be a terrible idea. In the scenario that you are proposing, a far wiser course of action would be to turn around and leave. At the very most, trail the people who killed your buddies and pick them off one by one. Those options cover both possible motives for a lone survivor. However, I am not a raider. Instead, I am a man who has been trailing these brigands for a while now with the intent of picking them off one by one. It is not that I conveniently show up just after you dispose of a camp full of ruffians, it's that I was already nearby and curious as to the sounds of gunshots. By the way, the end of the world where there are no more nations is a very strange time to be preoccupied with nationalities such as American, British, Russian or any other country of origin you could care to name. Hell, I was five when the virus hit. Do you really think that I had any time to develop patriotic feelings and an irrational hatred of the British?"

Gustav faked an exaggerated yawn. "Give me another speech like that, and I'll shoot you on the spot for wasting so much of my valuable time."

Darien restrained himself from growling. "Fine, I'll keep this brief. You honestly seem more like the raider type to me."

"If I was, you'd be dead already." Gustav shook his head. "That said, I've had plenty of dealings with that type, and I've picked up a lot of tricks along the way, so I'd advise you not to piss me off any further." He lowered his aim a little. "Or I won't grant you the mercy of a bullet through the head."

Vadim rushed over to the group, with his pistol drawn and up - the talking didn’t exactly sound friendly. He only had a few bullets left in this magazine, and he hadn’t had time to reload the first clip with loose bullets. The stranger wouldn’t know that, though. He looked to Ellen and Gustav, and then the man that had walked into the camp. Something about him looked familiar… A realization struck Vadim. “Wait, wait… Are you Darren? Darius…? You’re the one from the town, right?” He pulled off his hood, and then took off his balaclava. “I am Vadim, do you remember?”

Darien immediately brightened. "Ah, Vadim, of course I remember! Yes, it's me, Darien. I'm glad to see you well, and I'm not just saying that because of your degenerate associate making tiresome threats."

"Oh, yes, it is good to see you as well. Darien. That was the name, yes." He turned to Gustav. "I guess you are the degenerate, right? I know this guy, he helped me out before. I don't think the bindings are necessary."

Ellen looked at Vadim, then at Darien, then at Gustav. She nodded to him as she lowered her rifle, telling Gus to do the same. “Apologies. I don’t usually point my gun at everyone I meet.” Ellen walked over to Vadim, pulling him close enough to hear her whisper. “You think he can be trusted not to kill us?”

Reluctantly, Gustav lowered his weapon, glaring at Darien before sliding the pistol back into its holster. Moving around behind the man, he unbound his wrists, reattaching the sling he had used to his rifle. "You're damn lucky Vadim's vouching for you, 'Darien' - stupid name by the way, but I'd expect nothing less from a yank. I'll be watching you."

Vadim replied to Ellen quietly. “I don’t think he’s the type to kill. I’ve met him once before, and he helped me and my sister without asking for anything in return. He seems a little… strange, but not very dangerous. I’ll keep an eye on him, okay?”

“I’d appreciate it.” Ellen began to walk away, and then turned back to him while reaching inside her coat. “By the way, here’s your flask back.” she said, as she handed it back to him, as full as it was when he gave it to her. “Not that I’m ungrateful, but I don’t drink; I can put up with the pain for now, anyway.”

Vadim nodded and placed the flask on the inside of his parka. “What kind of Irish girl are you, eh?” he said, grinning crookedly.

Retrieving his bag and newfound loot, Gustav gestured in the direction of the town. "We should probably head back now. I'm sure Annabelle and Katya must be getting terribly bored without our delightful company." He began to move off, still shooting the occasional sidelong glare at Darien. "And I suppose our new 'friend' is tagging along now too..."

“Yeah, let’s go; I’ve had enough of this place.” Ellen grumbled, as she looked over to Darien. “I guess you’re not the only one who doesn’t trust him. Vadim’s gonna keep an eye on him, though. So out of curiosity, if Vadim weren’t here, would you have shot him?”

"Depends. If he'd carried on being a cheeky little cunt instead of keeping his mouth shut, quite probably." Gustav paused for a moment, looking at Ellen, trying to read her thoughts. "I certainly wouldn't enjoy it, but I don't ever make empty threats. If I did, I wouldn't be alive today."

Vadim shouldered his rucksack, eyeing Darien as he picked up the bag full of equipment that he had looted from the fallen raiders. He walked back over to Gustav and Ellen, sliding rounds into a magazine as he walked. “I suppose we don’t need to shoot anything else, these guys had lots of food. Are you ready to go?”

Gustav nodded. "Yeah. Let's go."
-------------------------------I--M--P--E--R--I--V--M----N--O--V--A----A--E--R--I--O--S---------------------------------
"No matter how worthy the cause, it is robbery, theft, and injustice to confiscate the property of one person and give it to another to whom it does not belong"

"Prior to capitalism, the way people amassed great wealth was by looting, plundering and enslaving their fellow man. Capitalism made it possible to become wealthy by serving your fellow man."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Epsilon Aquarii
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Epsilon Aquarii » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:50 am

Back at the pub, Annabelle woke up roughly an hour after Gustav, Ellen and Vadim had left for their early morning hunt. Climbing out of her uncomfortable bed, eliciting a loud crack as she stretched, Annabelle rubbed her eyes before looking back at the bed. It was far too small for her tall frame, but in a world like this, at least she actually had a relatively safe place to sleep, so she couldn’t really complain. After getting dressed, Annabelle knelt with her cross necklace in hand and said a quick morning prayer before gathering her belongings and heading downstairs to see if anyone else was up.

The bar itself was quite empty in comparison to last night, with only a few people dotted around the place. Looking around the room, Annabelle noticed the barman waving her over. “Hey, you must be the tall one who sounds like the Queen,” he said as she approached. Annabelle was used to people identifying her by her height, being a foot over average she couldn’t exactly escape this, but sounding like the Queen? No-one had mentioned this to her before, but she took it as a compliment. “Most of your friends went out hunting earlier, they’ll probably be back soon. One of your other friends who came down just before you is sat in the corner over there in case you missed them.” continued the barman, pointing to a particularly bored looking Katya. Annabelle thanked him, and figuring that she might as well wait for the others to get back, went to go and sit with her. “Good morning, Katya. Sleep well?”

Katya looked up, giving Annabelle a small grin. “It was good. Better than sleeping in a tree, very better.” she said, her slavic accent extremely prevalent. It was obvious she didn’t speak English very often. “You sleep well too, yes?”

“Other than the fact that the bed was too small and a tad uncomfortable, it was alright.” Annabelle replied after struggling to decipher Katya’s accent. Her accent did make Annabelle quite curious however, it was one she had never encountered before she found this group. “So, where is it that you and your brother are from, anyway? When we met yesterday you didn’t mention it, and I was just curious as to why you would want to come here. I mean, things must be pretty bad elsewhere in the world if England looked like the better option.”

“Vadim and I are from Ukrayina. It is not nice when I was born. People shoot each other, people starve there. Cannot hunt, many bombs destroyed the land and people are still doing it. Destroying, I mean.” Katya paused for a moment. “It is much better here. Where are you from? Very British, I can tell.”

“I’m from Westminster in London, far south east of here, so yes, very British indeed. It was such a great place too, but naturally things just started going downhill. People started fighting one another, and sadly, I was forced to leave before it got too bad there.” Annabelle seemed to lose focus for a moment, reminiscing about her old childhood memories before snapping back to reality. “And yet here I am now, sitting in a pub in West Bromwich. Not quite as arduous a journey as yours, granted, but for someone who grew up with a lifestyle like mine it has certainly been difficult. Where I’ll end up next, God only knows...”

“Lifestyle? You were rich, right?” Katya closed her eyes, trying to remember what her father used to say about wealthy westerners, the British in particular. “Tea and crumpets, right?” she said, a wide grin plastered on her face.

The door to the pub slowly opened, allowing four people - Ellen, Vadim, Darien and Gustav - to enter the building. Ellen was tightly holding her arm where she was shot, and she wore a pained expression. She caught sight of Katya and Annabelle, giving Katya a friendly nod. “They’re over here, guys.” She said to her group as she walked over to the table where the two women were sat.

Gustav followed, taking a seat at the table and dumping his bag down on the floor by his feet. "Morning, ladies." He smiled. "Have you missed us?" Before he could receive an answer, he continued. "By the way, this is our new... acquaintance. Darren? Darius? Something like that." Making sure that Darien was not in a position to see his lips move, Gustav mouthed silently to the two women - mainly to Annabelle, as he doubted Katya's rather limited command of the English language would extend to effective lip-reading - "He's a Yankee. And a bloody strange one at that. Watch him like a hawk."

Darien smiled and extended his hand. "My name's Darien. Nice to meet you." He then turned to Katya. "And nice to see you again, Katya."

“Annabelle. It’s a pleasure to meet you too, Darien.” She said as she reached out to shake his hand. Taking note of his peculiar accent and the cue from Gustav, she inquisitively asked “American, are you? I’m surprised to see one of you on the wrong side of the Atlantic, what could possibly have drawn you so far from home?”

"I am indeed an American but I had some relatives living over here. My cousin and I came here in the hopes that some of them might have survived. We found only the dead and there's no point in me returning to North America now."

“Fair enough, I suppose. I’m sorry that you didn’t find who you were looking for, my deepest condolences.” Annabelle replied, looking somewhat uncomfortable. Something about his character just seemed... unsettling. In an effort to quickly change the conversation, she turned to Gustav. “Anyway Gustav, how did your hunt go? Did you guys get up to anything interesting out there? Considering how you’ve brought Darien here back with you, I’m sure you’ve must have quite the story to tell.”

Gustav nodded. "Well, it was certainly an eventful trip, to say the least. We managed to bag a deer before the local raider gang decided to pay us a visit. Suffice to say we took care of them, and... persuaded... the last guy to tell us the location of their camp. I figured it would be a good idea to attack the camp, which we did. Managed to clear the place out completely, took a good amount of supplies, ammunition, et cetera..." Gustav reached into his bag and pulled out a handful of the jewellery he had taken off one of the corpses, smiling. "...so I guess drinks are on me for a while." He slid the loot back inside his bag. "Oh, and Ellen got shot in the arm, but she'll be fine." He glanced back at Darien. "Then Darren showed up as soon as we'd finished. He's damn lucky Vadim vouched for him." He looked once again at Annabelle. "And have you been up to anything exciting this morning?"

“Oh no, nothing too exciting at all. I’ve actually not long woken up, and I’ve only been sitting with Katya here for a few minutes, if that. Congratulations on taking out that raider camp though, the world is better off without scum like that polluting it.” The mere mention of raiders always made Annabelle’s blood boil. She despised the immorality and the anarchy of those groups, wishing nothing more than to just see them all dead. “It’s a shame you didn’t take me with you, it sounds like you had fun. I would’ve absolutely loved to do my part in wiping out that godless menace.”

"Oh, I'm sure you would've done, we had a great time. We would have brought you along if you'd been awake." Gustav paused for a moment. "Oh well, I'm sure we'll get plenty more opportunities to take care of some menaces when you're not being so lazy." He chuckled. "Although I rather think 'godless' is quite a... redundant description. If there ever was a god, and if it ever really gave a shit about this world, it's clearly long since moved on."

Annabelle was quite offended by Gustav’s comments. “I wouldn’t lose faith quite so easily, Gustav. In a cruel and unforgiving world like this, losing faith is one of the worst things one can do. For me, I seriously doubt I would have ever lasted this long out here if I had lost it. Sometimes, my faith is all that has kept me going...” Annabelle paused and sighed, remembering who she was talking to. “Regardless, this pub is becoming quite dull. Where to next?”

Ellen looked gradually more irritated the more Annabelle spoke, vehemently disagreeing with what she was saying. “If you say so. Faith in, what, a God who allowed this to happen? That this is some sort of test to prove ourselves worthy or something? No, no supposedly ‘good’ god would do that. Either God is a cunt who doesn’t deserve our faith, or there isn’t one.” She looked down at her arm, then back at Annabelle with renewed anger. “Also, dull? Well maybe if you actually came out and did stuff for the group instead of lying in bed all morning, this wouldn’t feel dull. Of course, I guess a pampered, entitled bitch such as you didn’t need to hunt, or gather supplies.”

“Whoa, just calm down. There's no need for that, right?” said Vadim, looking over at Ellen with some concern on his face. He turned to Annabelle, and his gaze hardened a bit. “She has a point, though. We’ve just been shot at, one of us has been shot. I don’t think we’re in any shape to be running a marathon or whatever is up your sleeve.”

“Fine, you continue to lead a faithless life, Ellen. If that is what you choose then so be it, I’m not going to force my views upon you.” Annabelle retorted angrily, “But don’t you think it’s a bit unfair to say that I didn’t do anything for the group when no-one even told me that you were going out to hunt? You could have told me that you were going, but no, instead you relied on the barman to tell me after you had already gone! And yes, I am well aware that you have been shot, Ellen, but do you really expect me to be sympathetic towards you considering your unwarranted aggression towards me when we met yesterday? If anything, it’s poetic justice at its finest!” She then paused, realising that what she just said wasn’t exactly going to put her in any good graces with the group. “Alas, I do apologise for being so... abrasive. I would offer to turn over a new leaf and start again with you guys, but I don’t think that offer is going to go very far.”

Sighing, Gustav nodded slightly. "Well, I'm certainly willing to accept that offer." He looked at Annabelle, then over to Ellen. "As long as you two learn to cooperate - Ellen, Annabelle, you'd better both be fucking listening - because unless you do learn, and learn quickly, this group is going nowhere." Without warning, he slammed his fist down on the table with a loud thud, raising his voice. "Is that fucking clear? Because I swear if you two keep this shit up, you're both getting left behind." Waiting a moment for his words to sink in, Gustav's tone grew calmer. "Now, let's have that fresh start, shall we?"

Unfazed by Gustav’s gesture, Annabelle looked him dead in the eye, responding to him in an almost condescending tone. “You don’t need to treat me like I’m 12, Gustav. I am more than capable of co-operating, Ellen is the only one I have a problem with. And besides, one could argue that you have left me behind on one occasion already. Who knows, if you had taken me with you, maybe I could’ve saved Ellen from getting shot in the arm and prevented this unpleasantness from ever happening. But no, you didn’t give me that chance.” Her tone quickly became much more apologetic, as she was aware that her current course was getting her nowhere. “Yet again, I am sorry. This should never have happened, and I shouldn’t have brought my faith into this. If we could have that fresh start, I’d appreciate it.”

Katya glanced at the others gathered at the table, a puzzled look on her face. “Wait, do you mean we all do the start over? We should we go around the circle and say our names or something?”

"I don't think that will quite be necessary, Katya." Gustav chuckled. "We all just need to put aside our past disagreements and start working together without silly, pointless bickering." He turned to Annabelle. "Apology accepted... and you're right that I shouldn't treat you like you're twelve. Prove to me that I really don't need to." He paused. "As for the faith argument, it was me who brought that up in the first place, so I apologise for that. Are we good, Annabelle?" He looked around at the others, his gaze lingering for a while longer on Ellen. "We good, Ellen?"

Annabelle nodded. “Of course we are, and I accept your apology as well. What about you, Ellen?”

Ellen sighed deeply, thinking about what was just said. “Fine.” she said, after a few moments. She looked at Annabelle, before looking down at the table. “Sorry, about… you know, everything.” Her voice was quieter than usual. “I judged you too early and I’m no good at this… So, friends?”

“Apology accepted, I’m sure you have your reasons. So yes, friends.” Annabelle was quite reluctant to say this, but she was sincere. This whole arrangement wouldn’t work if she and Ellen were constantly at each other’s throats, so she knew that there would have to be at least some degree of compromise. “And with that settled, what now? I don’t suppose anyone’s got any plans for what comes next?”

Gustav shook his head slightly. "Nothing other than leaving this shithole, really. Unless anyone has anything they'd like to do here first, we might as well make a move pretty soon." He stood, picking up his bag and slinging it over his shoulder before leaning on the table, looking around expectantly at the others.

"You guys have too much drama. I'm out of here." Said Darien, finally breaking his silence and walking out the door.

"Good. One less thing for the rest of us to worry about." Gustav watched Darien leave, briefly waving his hand to shoo the man away, before turning back to the others. "So as I was saying, we should make a move soon. Anybody have anything they'd like to do here first?"

Ellen sat in silence for a moment, waiting for anyone else to suggest something. When nobody did, she gulped and finally spoke. “We could go to the market in the centre of town? We do have all this stuff we need to trade… Plus I have something that needs fixing and such anyway. I’m sure they do those services.”

Vadim shook his head slowly. “We already went to the market here in West Bromwich; they don’t like us being there.” He set his rucksack on the table, and pointed to it. “I’ve taken everything I found on the raiders that myself and Katya can use out of the bag. Take the rest, see what you can get for it.”

Ellen looked down at the table, giving out a small groan. “Come on, you can come! Who cares if they don’t like you, we’ll be here with you.” She looked at Gustav and Annabelle. “Won’t we?”

Gustav nodded. "Of course." He turned to Vadim, looking between him and Katya. "You should come along, what's the worst that can happen? If anybody's stupid enough to start something, I'd say we stand a much better chance of coming out on top than they do..."

Vadim chewed on the inside of his mouth, while his sister looked to him expectantly. “Yes, I guess… I just don’t want to shoot anyone else today - or get shot, for that matter. We’re going to leave if things go badly.”

“I suppose I’ll come along with you as well.” Annabelle replied, finally getting a chance to speak. “Now I may not really have any reason to go to the market myself, but it’s better than just sitting here all day. An extra pair of hands never hurts.”

“Okay, let’s go then!” Ellen shouted, with glee. She grabbed her bag from off the floor and stood up, allowing her to throw her bag onto one of her shoulders. “Oh, and could you guys cover for me, please? Selling weapons while being covered in blood may not be the best first impression…” she looked up at the ceiling, before sighing. “Speaking of which, I probably should have gone for a wash or something to get all this off of me. Oh well, I will when we get back.”

Gustav stepped away from the table and began to walk towards the door, pausing for a moment as he waited for the others to follow. He looked back at Ellen. "Sure, we'll just tell everyone you spilled ketchup all over yourself, ok?"

Ellen stopped on her way to the door, giving Gustav a look of confusion. “Uh…” she gestured to her lower legs and chest. “Nobody’s gonna fall for that. Bugger it, if anyone asks we’ll just tell them truth; hunting is messy work…”

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse