NATION

PASSWORD

For Today there is no Tomorrow (OOC: Open)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

When do you think the story should move forward?

1) When you wrap up your own individual mini arcs so we can focus on the story in chapter one.
47%
2) Just move it ahead, and finish the stories in chapter one.
33%
2) Wait on as many people to post, and then move it forward.
20%
4) Forget about those who haven't posted, and just move it ahead.
No votes
5) Wait as long as possible, and move it ahead by force as a last result.
No votes

Total votes : 15

Veleaz
Envoy

Founded: Aug 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Veleaz » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:36 pm

Taggin, mein Comrade

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:19 pm

Veleaz wrote:Taggin, mein Comrade

Good another tag.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:16 pm

A good days progress, and I hope tomorrow is just as eventful.
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:00 pm

Altito Asmoro wrote:Tag.

Good to see you Altito.

Beiarusia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 29, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Beiarusia » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:21 pm

Nation Name: Beiarusia

Characters Name: Hoa "Lynn" Nguyen

Characters Age: 17

Character Sex: Female

Mental, Terminal, or Chronic Conditions:
LUNG CANCER: Lynn was diagnosed sixteen months previously, by which point the aggressive form of cancer had already metastasize to her lymph nodes (Stage III). Unable to afford standard treatment and was later accepted for clinical trials at Longden Memorial after a worsening of her condition (Stage IV). Currently receiving treatment. Prognosis is poor.

What surgery will you be having:
Experimental drug regiment to combat growth and spread of malignant cancer cells.

Character racial, and ethnic group: Vietnamese

Character nationality: American

11) Characters biography:
(You need to ask me first so the lore doesn't get conflicted. I will accept your everything else on your application though so do not worry).

Roleplaying Sample: Ace Combat: Broken Line

Does the character have any family members?:
Tai "Jake" Nguyen (Brother): The only family member still alive (both parents were killed in a car accident long ago), Jake is the protective older brother of Lynn. 28. Works as a journalist, though after his sister fell sick he has since taken up various odd jobs to help pay for her medical treatment, jobs that may or may not always be legal. Visits regularly.

Character Personality, and Religious beliefs:
On the outside Lynn is rather positive given her situation. She's happy, loves to play and joke around, and is generally happy-go-lucky if not mischievous, however, deep down she is scared and often feels isolated from those around her. This facade is more so to keep others from worrying than to connivence herself that there is still hope of recovery. Despite this Lynn is not above seeking distractions lest she contemplate her limited future for too long. When not enjoying some mindless entertainment the girl is often getting into trouble, flirting with the wrong crowd, or losing herself to her painting. Not overtly religious. Does not believe in any one god but feels that perhaps there is something far larger than any of them can comprehend. Or at least she likes to think.

Said we needed to ask about the Bio first. General idea is that Lynn is sick with cancer and is at the hospital undergoing clinical trials that probably aren't too effective in her case (maybe they work elsewhere). Her parents were killed when she was in middle school and she's practically been raised by her older brother ever since. Her family is Vietnamese though Lynn/Jake are second generation Americans (grandparents are foreign but parents are American). After the isolation they have since lost touch of any family outside the USA. Jake, the brother, works as a journalist and does odd jobs (sometimes delivering things he shouldn't be delivering) to support his sister during her illness. Otherwise I don't think they'd have a huge impact on the lore.

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:35 pm

Beiarusia wrote:

LUNG CANCER: Lynn was diagnosed sixteen months previously, by which point the aggressive form of cancer had already metastasize to her lymph nodes (Stage III). Unable to afford standard treatment and was later accepted for clinical trials at Longden Memorial after a worsening of her condition (Stage IV). Currently receiving treatment. Prognosis is poor.

Experimental drug regiment to combat growth and spread of malignant cancer cells.

(You need to ask me first so the lore doesn't get conflicted. I will accept your everything else on your application though so do not worry).

Tai "Jake" Nguyen (Brother): The only family member still alive (both parents were killed in a car accident long ago), Jake is the protective older brother of Lynn. 28. Works as a journalist, though after his sister fell sick he has since taken up various odd jobs to help pay for her medical treatment, jobs that may or may not always be legal. Visits regularly.

On the outside Lynn is rather positive given her situation. She's happy, loves to play and joke around, and is generally happy-go-lucky if not mischievous, however, deep down she is scared and often feels isolated from those around her. This facade is more so to keep others from worrying than to connivence herself that there is still hope of recovery. Despite this Lynn is not above seeking distractions lest she contemplate her limited future for too long. When not enjoying some mindless entertainment the girl is often getting into trouble, flirting with the wrong crowd, or losing herself to her painting. Not overtly religious. Does not believe in any one god but feels that perhaps there is something far larger than any of them can comprehend. Or at least she likes to think.

Said we needed to ask about the Bio first. General idea is that Lynn is sick with cancer and is at the hospital undergoing clinical trials that probably aren't too effective in her case (maybe they work elsewhere). Her parents were killed when she was in middle school and she's practically been raised by her older brother ever since. Her family is Vietnamese though Lynn/Jake are second generation Americans (grandparents are foreign but parents are American). After the isolation they have since lost touch of any family outside the USA. Jake, the brother, works as a journalist and does odd jobs (sometimes delivering things he shouldn't be delivering) to support his sister during her illness. Otherwise I don't think they'd have a huge impact on the lore.

So far it seems pretty good actually.

Beiarusia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 29, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Beiarusia » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:36 pm

Characters biography:
Lynn had a relatively normal childhood all things considered. Growing up on America's eastern coast, Lynn, the granddaughter of Vietnamese immigrants, witnessed firsthand the growing resentment and racism of the world at large, but given that Lynn and her family did little to stand out they were mostly unaffected, however, Lynn and her brother would eventually be given Americanized nicknames to better fit in with society and their peers (Hoa and Tai became Lynn and Jake respectively). The Nguyen family was not a rich one. Lynn's parents owned a small antique shop, and though they lived well within their means their means were not very high, but despite this the family was never hungry. After completing high school Jake, Lynn's elder brother, would attempt to join the United States Army as he lacked the grades and money to attend university, but despite his dedication to his home country Jake was turned away for reasons that were never specified. He would eventually delve into journalism with some success.

Shortly after Lynn's tenth birthday her parents would be killed in an automobile accident. Poor weather. With no living family within the United States Lynn was placed into the custody of her 21 year old brother who took it upon himself to raise his young sister. It was during this time that the two would become near inseparable. Having lost the family business Jake would support the two of them with his job(s) while Lynn attended school and did the chores. Again, life was difficult but not hopeless, and many happy memories were made over the next few years as the siblings overcame the sudden death of their parents. Sadly, this budding happiness was not to last. Rumors had spread throughout Lynn's school of her peculiar flirting habits, an accusation that she rightly denied, but regardless this served to isolate the girl from the few who were willing to overlook her outsider status. Worse, however, was the illness that Lynn developed during her sophomore year. A delayed doctor's visit (due to financial instability) would reveal the cause: cancer. The news was devastating, more so to Jake than to Lynn by appearance alone, but despite the black cloud now hanging over their heads the two attempted to make things work as best they could. Lynn remained in school while Jake worked to save up enough to afford his sister's necessary treatments, but by the point he had enough to even scratch the surface the cancer had already spread. A devastating blow. It was then that the oncologist suggested an experimental treatment being conducted at Longden Memorial and, as Lynn now fell within the requirements, and there was a negated cost, she was pushed forward for acceptance. That was five months ago (sixteen months after initial diagnosis) and the brother and sister have now moved to Boston, Lynn undergoing various clinical trials while Jake attempts to pay the high premiums. Lynn is, for all intent and purpose, happy despite the looming darkness that is her mortality, and she has since attempted to make the hospital (where she must stay) feel like home. Her brother visits whenever he can and, with her art brush to keep her busy, she takes on day at a time with a smile.

If only the others knew.

Last edited by Beiarusia on Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Altito Asmoro
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Altito Asmoro » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:20 am

There must be security guards working at the hospital or few police officers within the hospital, right? Ben, do you mind if I make an app for security guard or a police officer?
Stormwrath wrote:
Altito Asmoro wrote:You people can call me...AA. Or Alt.
Or Tito.

I'm calling you "non-aligned comrade."

A proud Nationalist
Winner for Best War RP of 2016

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:41 am

Altito Asmoro wrote:There must be security guards working at the hospital or few police officers within the hospital, right? Ben, do you mind if I make an app for security guard or a police officer?

I don't mind for the security guard since it would fall under staff.

Altito Asmoro
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Altito Asmoro » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:43 am

Benuty wrote:
Altito Asmoro wrote:There must be security guards working at the hospital or few police officers within the hospital, right? Ben, do you mind if I make an app for security guard or a police officer?

I don't mind for the security guard since it would fall under staff.

Okay. He/she probably a former military or a former law enforcement before into security guard. I take it he/she can has a firearm?
Stormwrath wrote:
Or Tito.

A proud Nationalist

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:48 am

Altito Asmoro wrote:
Benuty wrote:I don't mind for the security guard since it would fall under staff.

Okay. He/she probably a former military or a former law enforcement before into security guard. I take it he/she can has a firearm?

You can have a firearm, but remember that this society is pretty damn sexist. So playing a female will earn extra challenges.

Altito Asmoro
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Altito Asmoro » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:51 am

WIP

1) Nation Name: Altito Asmoro

2) Characters Name: Joshua Hermann

3) Characters Age (especially important if part of the elderly): 38

4) Character Sex: Male

5) Character Rank (if in the military unit): Captain, formerly.

6) Mental, Terminal, or Chronic Conditions (for patients only): N/A

7) What surgery will you be having (for patients only): N/A

8 ) Character racial, and ethnic group: Germanic descent

9) Character nationality: American

10) Character position (Staff Only): Security Guard

Born in Anchorage, Alaska, Joshua is the son of a couple with Germanic descent. There is no mention on when they fled to USA, but it's implied in one way or another that Joshua's grandfather was formerly a member of Thule Society and a fanatic follower of Occultism. All minor details aside, it was hidden from Joshua for the rest of his life. He was raised normally but exhibits an artistic desire when he was young. Nevertheless, he grew up to be quite of a physically capable man with average intelligence of a normal human.

When he was 19, a year after graduation, he enlisted into the military, eventually placed himself within the Quartermaster Corps, one of the duty being taking care of the logistics of U.S Army and eventual development into assisting the logistics of the entire nation. He met his wife, Alicia, who was a Medical Corps officer. Soon both of them fell in love and married, with Joshua discharged soon after that and finding a new employment as a security guard within Longden. The payment's good and Alicia just discharged as well so life should be good.

Until Longden was hit following the Family Day...
12) Roleplaying Sample (not too uptight about this one): XCOM, Peacekeepers, Excalibur Squadron.

13) Does the character have any family members? (they will play a role in the IC):

A wife, a former Medical Corps officer Named Alicia Hermann, formerly Walker before marriage. Currently living with Joshua near the hospital in an apartment.

14) Character Personality, and Religious beliefs (will play important role in the IC)

Personality : He is rather calm and sometimes keeping things and personal affairs to himself and his family. Has the tendency to be too zealous and abide the laws.
Religious Beliefs : A faithful follower of Buddhism, finding his new religion shortly before discharged.

Benuty wrote:
Altito Asmoro wrote:

You can have a firearm, but remember that this society is pretty damn sexist. So playing a female will earn extra challenges.

Okay.
Last edited by Altito Asmoro on Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stormwrath wrote:
Or Tito.

A proud Nationalist

The Valyria Empire
Negotiator

Founded: May 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Valyria Empire » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:42 am

Is a Staff Sergeant character okay? He's basically the second in command of the battalion should the Sergeant first class be consider incapable or possibly die.

New Grestin
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Grestin » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:49 am

1) Nation Name: New Grestin

2) Characters Name: Gwendolyn Deckard

3) Characters Age (especially important if part of the elderly): 26

4) Character Sex: Female

5) Character Rank (if in the military unit): Not Applicable

6) Mental, Terminal, or Chronic Conditions (for patients only): Chronic Asthma

7) What surgery will you be having (for patients only): Not Applicable

8 ) Character racial, and ethnic group: African American

10) Character position (Staff Only): Not Applicable

Born in 1982 in Memphis, Tennessee to Sarah and Erik Deckard. Gwen was born into the midst of the post-Integrationist South, in the Memphis Autonomous District. While the fancy name might lead those on the outside to believe otherwise, the Autonomous District was in reality a cesspool of crime and starvation. Gwen's father, Erik, had been a survivor of the Atomic War. His radiation exposure during the attacks led to his social ostracization, even being white, and eventually led to his retreating into the Memphis Autonomous Zone. It was there that he eventually married his wife, Sarah, and fathered a child with her. Naturally, the marriage was conducted in secret. The Council within the Autonomous Zone was unspeakably corrupt, and often maintained corporate interests over those of their own citizens. Erik, a critic of the Vista company behind closed doors, would receive a bullet for his troubles. Sarah was left alone, albeit with injuries that would eventually lead to her death.

With her family gone and having few places to go outside of the Autonomous Zone, Gwen eventually fell in with the various gangs and criminal groups that inhabited it. The American apartheid had done well to produce a wide variety of less savory groups, ranging from drug salesman to contract killers. Gwen fell in with the former, working in an abandoned factory for the Vicelords gang, producing synthetic drugs that could be sold throughout the state. It was harsh, demeaning work, but there was a level of solidarity that came from it. The street groups protected their own, and the mutual enemy with the council helped Gwen take up a considerable role in the organization. This same role would come into play with the Memphis race riots in 2001.

While government sources still give conflicting accounts of the inciting incident, most believe that Military police shot and killed a black woman outside the Autonomous Zone. It was stated that she had pulled a weapon, however many of the witnesses claimed it was an outright execution. Years of racial tensions, coupled with the refusal of the authorities to admit wrongdoing (even going so far as to commend the officers), led into one of the worst instances of civil unrest in post-Atomic America. While military police worked to contain the incident, groups of disgruntled blacks burnt and destroyed vast amounts of public and private property. Violence escalated into a full scale urban conflict between the armed Zone gangs and the military police, and it was only after a massive crackdown that the riots were forced back into the Autonomous Zones from which they'd escaped. At the time, Gwen helped to muster much of the Vicelord gang into an armed rebellion, helping to keep the conflict going.

It was a wonder she wasn't killed. Even she herself is not sure how she managed to escape the long arm of the law. The subsequent crackdowns by the Military Police would lead to further, smaller riots. While travel restrictions were placed on the Memphis Autonomous Zone, Gwen was able to slip out thanks to her less than official connections.

She spent much of her adult life moving from menial job to menial job, eventually landing her as a janitor at a munitions plant in Boston. Her exposure to tear gas during the Memphis riots had left her with a Chronic Asthma condition. She had been visiting Longden Memorial in the hope of receiving some kind of care for her worsening condition, only to end up stuck inside during the quarantine. While her past remains obscured, Gwen's distaste for the military and the government are unlikely to lead to long-term peace within the hospital.

12) Roleplaying Sample (not too uptight about this one):
New Grestin wrote:Valerie snarled at her, the rage still flowing like rain. The crank had been turned, and now all the years and frustration and anxiety burst out.

"Don't you tell me what's my concern, you hoity toity bitch. This is all your fault. If you and your stupid cult hadn't come along, I could have been normal! I could have moved on! You don't understand what it's like to lose a child! I tried to live like an honest person and-"

Suddenly, the woman's face contorted. It mutated and malformed into one of rage, of indignation. Valerie felt real fear for the first time since she'd entered the room. Her eyes had gone bloodshot, her face cracked, the skin looking more like porcelain atop muscle and tissue. A hand, coming from an angle Valerie couldn't see, clutched her neck and squeezed. The air cut off immediately, and Valerie's knees buckled, dropping her to the woman's feet. An inhuman, rattly voice burst out of her.

"Shut up. Do you know why I took her? Do you know why you've suffered?"

The hand drug Valerie into the air. Her legs spasmed, searching for the floor as Valerie could feel her body begin to shut down. Her face began to blue as the woman continued, her face looking less and less human as she spoke. Teeth became sharpened and predatory, her eyes were almost pure red. Valerie would have screamed, if not for the hand crushing her windpipe.

"I hate you. I hate you for thinking you're unique. I hate you for thinking that life is an end that corresponds to your dreams and aspirations. I hate you for reminding me of what I used to be."

The hand released, and Valerie collapsed to the floor, wheezing and gasping for air. Another hand, unseen, snatched her by the back of her hair and forced her head upwards.

"We all sacrificed the dreams we held in life. We all accepted the Path. We all laid down our indiscretions, and we all did what was expected of us."

Her face came in closer. Closer, closer, closer. Until the two had their faces practically planted together. Valerie could smell the heavy iron scent of blood on her breath, the stench of embryonic fluid and bile flooded her senses. The woman's face was hollow now. It was hollow, but it wasn't. It was a god-shaped hole. The barren desolations of trillions of dead stars. The woman's voice echoed throughout her mind, shrill like nails on a chalkboard, yet heavy like a blow to the head.

"You will come to me. You will come to me because it has already been decided. You will come to the Church, and they will take you in with open arms. Then they will remold you. They will remold you until you will no longer be able to tell minutes from seconds, and seconds from eternity. Then you will be me."

Into the hollow. Darkness surrounded her. Infinite void of nothingness. She felt the endless anguish of a thousand dying souls, she could feel her flesh flayed from her skin and laid back down again. Her eyes were put out and put back again. Then, light. She stood on the craggy precipice of some long forgotten landscape, overlooking an endless desert of monolithic skeletons. A throne stood before her, seamless black onyx. As if forged from the very fabric of the night sky itself. Without thinking, she stepped around to the front of the throne, and she could feel her eyes begin to vibrate.

There, before her, laid the desiccated remnant of some indescribable thing. It carried only the vaguest resemblance to a man, as though her mind could only barely translate it's form it something recognizable. On it's faceless, black head, laid a crown. In one of it's many hands, laid a sword of the same material as the throne. Almost implicitly, Valerie drew her eyes away from it, towards the creature's chest. It moved up and down, rhythmically. Slowly, slowly. Ever so slowly. Only the faintest bit of life remained in the creature.

Buried up to the hilt, in the being's chest, was a bright white sword.

Valerie's whole body shook. Her organs felt like jelly, her bones felt like dust. She could hear the woman's voice in the back of her head once again.

"Your existence is the scream of a dying god."

Void enveloped Valerie once more, and in that moment, a wave of understanding shook her to the bone.
Valerie awoke with a scream, flailing and tumbling from her makeshift bed like a spastic maniac. Cold sweat poured over her. The panic took minutes, maybe an hour to settle, and then she finally rested against one of the office walls. A silent prayer escaped her lips. Sweet Jesus, she thought. If there was, indeed, a Sweet Jesus, and if there was indeed a god, then it was Her.

A slight pain drew her attentions to her arm. Valerie drew back the sleeve to reveal a long, thin cut, like a razor-blade. It ran the length of the arm, ending near the elbow. Only a thin layer of dried blood had covered it up. That didn't worry her as much. What truly worried her was when she stood to wash off the wound. A crumpled sheet of paper fell from the sleeve, hitting the floor with a light plop. She snatched it up and unfurled it.

One cut is merely a step on the path, and there are many steps to take.

For like you I once was, and like me you shall be.

Valerie sat up, wide awake, the rest of the night.

13) Does the character have any family members? (they will play a role in the IC): None

14) Character Personality, and Religious beliefs (will play important role in the IC): Quiet and reserved, yet cunning and capable of extreme violence. Not Religious.

15) Appearance:

Alrighty, I am the straw that stirs the drink.

I used a geographically limited location, along with the provided lore, to produce a backstory as close to the post-Atomic American history as humanly possible. I can edit whatever the daft bits might be, but it seemed to me that the Autonomous Zones were a wealth of potential backstory.
Let’s not dwell on our corpse strewn past. Let’s celebrate our corpse strewn future!
Head Bartender for The Pub | The Para-Verse | Writing Advice from a Pretentious Jerk | I write stuff | Arbitrary Political Numbers
Kentucky Fried Land wrote:I should have known Grestin was Christopher Walken the whole time.
ThePub wrote:New Grestin: "I will always choose the aborable lesbians over an entire town."
Imperial Idaho wrote:And with 1-2 sentences Grestin has declared war on the national pride of Canada.
- Best Worldbuilding - 2016 (Community Choice)
- Best Horror/Thriller RP for THE ZONE - 2016 (Community Choice)

Forest State
Senator

Founded: Aug 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Forest State » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:35 pm

Let's see how long I last in this, I guess. Bio will come when I finish the app.

WIP app

1) Nation Name: Forest State

2) Characters Name: Cassia 'Cass' Kanakaris

3) Characters Age (especially important if part of the elderly): 17

5) Character Rank (if in the military unit): N/A

6) Mental, Terminal, or Chronic Conditions (for patients only): Paranoid Schizophrenia

7) What surgery will you be having (for patients only): N/A

8 ) Character racial, and ethnic group: Greek

9) Character nationality: Greek-American

10) Character position (Staff Only): N/A

12) Roleplaying Sample (not too uptight about this one): The Pub.

13) Does the character have any family members? (they will play a role in the IC): Her parents, but they abandoned her before she arrived at the hospital.

14) Character Personality, and Religious beliefs (will play important role in the IC): Brash and rough around the edges, but relatively friendly deep down. Obviously paranoid, and not very trusting. She's not religious per say, but she does see several mythological figures often, and doesn't know what to think about this.

15) Appearance:

don't tread on me

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:49 pm

New Grestin wrote:1) Nation Name: New Grestin

2) Characters Name: Gwendolyn Deckard

3) Characters Age (especially important if part of the elderly): 26

5) Character Rank (if in the military unit): Not Applicable

6) Mental, Terminal, or Chronic Conditions (for patients only): Chronic Asthma

7) What surgery will you be having (for patients only): Not Applicable

8 ) Character racial, and ethnic group: African American

10) Character position (Staff Only): Not Applicable

Born in 1982 in Memphis, Tennessee to Sarah and Erik Deckard. Gwen was born into the midst of the post-Integrationist South, in the Memphis Autonomous District. While the fancy name might lead those on the outside to believe otherwise, the Autonomous District was in reality a cesspool of crime and starvation. Gwen's father, Erik, had been a survivor of the Atomic War. His radiation exposure during the attacks led to his social ostracization, even being white, and eventually led to his retreating into the Memphis Autonomous Zone. It was there that he eventually married his wife, Sarah, and fathered a child with her. Naturally, the marriage was conducted in secret. The Council within the Autonomous Zone was unspeakably corrupt, and often maintained corporate interests over those of their own citizens. Erik, a critic of the Vista company behind closed doors, would receive a bullet for his troubles. Sarah was left alone, albeit with injuries that would eventually lead to her death.

With her family gone and having few places to go outside of the Autonomous Zone, Gwen eventually fell in with the various gangs and criminal groups that inhabited it. The American apartheid had done well to produce a wide variety of less savory groups, ranging from drug salesman to contract killers. Gwen fell in with the former, working in an abandoned factory for the Vicelords gang, producing synthetic drugs that could be sold throughout the state. It was harsh, demeaning work, but there was a level of solidarity that came from it. The street groups protected their own, and the mutual enemy with the council helped Gwen take up a considerable role in the organization. This same role would come into play with the Memphis race riots in 2001.

While government sources still give conflicting accounts of the inciting incident, most believe that Military police shot and killed a black woman outside the Autonomous Zone. It was stated that she had pulled a weapon, however many of the witnesses claimed it was an outright execution. Years of racial tensions, coupled with the refusal of the authorities to admit wrongdoing (even going so far as to commend the officers), led into one of the worst instances of civil unrest in post-Atomic America. While military police worked to contain the incident, groups of disgruntled blacks burnt and destroyed vast amounts of public and private property. Violence escalated into a full scale urban conflict between the armed Zone gangs and the military police, and it was only after a massive crackdown that the riots were forced back into the Autonomous Zones from which they'd escaped. At the time, Gwen helped to muster much of the Vicelord gang into an armed rebellion, helping to keep the conflict going.

It was a wonder she wasn't killed. Even she herself is not sure how she managed to escape the long arm of the law. The subsequent crackdowns by the Military Police would lead to further, smaller riots. While travel restrictions were placed on the Memphis Autonomous Zone, Gwen was able to slip out thanks to her less than official connections.

She spent much of her adult life moving from menial job to menial job, eventually landing her as a janitor at a munitions plant in Boston. Her exposure to tear gas during the Memphis riots had left her with a Chronic Asthma condition. She had been visiting Longden Memorial in the hope of receiving some kind of care for her worsening condition, only to end up stuck inside during the quarantine. While her past remains obscured, Gwen's distaste for the military and the government are unlikely to lead to long-term peace within the hospital.

12) Roleplaying Sample (not too uptight about this one):
New Grestin wrote:Valerie snarled at her, the rage still flowing like rain. The crank had been turned, and now all the years and frustration and anxiety burst out.

"Don't you tell me what's my concern, you hoity toity bitch. This is all your fault. If you and your stupid cult hadn't come along, I could have been normal! I could have moved on! You don't understand what it's like to lose a child! I tried to live like an honest person and-"

Suddenly, the woman's face contorted. It mutated and malformed into one of rage, of indignation. Valerie felt real fear for the first time since she'd entered the room. Her eyes had gone bloodshot, her face cracked, the skin looking more like porcelain atop muscle and tissue. A hand, coming from an angle Valerie couldn't see, clutched her neck and squeezed. The air cut off immediately, and Valerie's knees buckled, dropping her to the woman's feet. An inhuman, rattly voice burst out of her.

"Shut up. Do you know why I took her? Do you know why you've suffered?"

The hand drug Valerie into the air. Her legs spasmed, searching for the floor as Valerie could feel her body begin to shut down. Her face began to blue as the woman continued, her face looking less and less human as she spoke. Teeth became sharpened and predatory, her eyes were almost pure red. Valerie would have screamed, if not for the hand crushing her windpipe.

"I hate you. I hate you for thinking you're unique. I hate you for thinking that life is an end that corresponds to your dreams and aspirations. I hate you for reminding me of what I used to be."

The hand released, and Valerie collapsed to the floor, wheezing and gasping for air. Another hand, unseen, snatched her by the back of her hair and forced her head upwards.

"We all sacrificed the dreams we held in life. We all accepted the Path. We all laid down our indiscretions, and we all did what was expected of us."

Her face came in closer. Closer, closer, closer. Until the two had their faces practically planted together. Valerie could smell the heavy iron scent of blood on her breath, the stench of embryonic fluid and bile flooded her senses. The woman's face was hollow now. It was hollow, but it wasn't. It was a god-shaped hole. The barren desolations of trillions of dead stars. The woman's voice echoed throughout her mind, shrill like nails on a chalkboard, yet heavy like a blow to the head.

"You will come to me. You will come to me because it has already been decided. You will come to the Church, and they will take you in with open arms. Then they will remold you. They will remold you until you will no longer be able to tell minutes from seconds, and seconds from eternity. Then you will be me."

Into the hollow. Darkness surrounded her. Infinite void of nothingness. She felt the endless anguish of a thousand dying souls, she could feel her flesh flayed from her skin and laid back down again. Her eyes were put out and put back again. Then, light. She stood on the craggy precipice of some long forgotten landscape, overlooking an endless desert of monolithic skeletons. A throne stood before her, seamless black onyx. As if forged from the very fabric of the night sky itself. Without thinking, she stepped around to the front of the throne, and she could feel her eyes begin to vibrate.

There, before her, laid the desiccated remnant of some indescribable thing. It carried only the vaguest resemblance to a man, as though her mind could only barely translate it's form it something recognizable. On it's faceless, black head, laid a crown. In one of it's many hands, laid a sword of the same material as the throne. Almost implicitly, Valerie drew her eyes away from it, towards the creature's chest. It moved up and down, rhythmically. Slowly, slowly. Ever so slowly. Only the faintest bit of life remained in the creature.

Buried up to the hilt, in the being's chest, was a bright white sword.

Valerie's whole body shook. Her organs felt like jelly, her bones felt like dust. She could hear the woman's voice in the back of her head once again.

"Your existence is the scream of a dying god."

Void enveloped Valerie once more, and in that moment, a wave of understanding shook her to the bone.
Valerie awoke with a scream, flailing and tumbling from her makeshift bed like a spastic maniac. Cold sweat poured over her. The panic took minutes, maybe an hour to settle, and then she finally rested against one of the office walls. A silent prayer escaped her lips. Sweet Jesus, she thought. If there was, indeed, a Sweet Jesus, and if there was indeed a god, then it was Her.

A slight pain drew her attentions to her arm. Valerie drew back the sleeve to reveal a long, thin cut, like a razor-blade. It ran the length of the arm, ending near the elbow. Only a thin layer of dried blood had covered it up. That didn't worry her as much. What truly worried her was when she stood to wash off the wound. A crumpled sheet of paper fell from the sleeve, hitting the floor with a light plop. She snatched it up and unfurled it.

One cut is merely a step on the path, and there are many steps to take.

For like you I once was, and like me you shall be.

Valerie sat up, wide awake, the rest of the night.

13) Does the character have any family members? (they will play a role in the IC): None

14) Character Personality, and Religious beliefs (will play important role in the IC): Quiet and reserved, yet cunning and capable of extreme violence. Not Religious.

15) Appearance:

Alrighty, I am the straw that stirs the drink.

I used a geographically limited location, along with the provided lore, to produce a backstory as close to the post-Atomic American history as humanly possible. I can edit whatever the daft bits might be, but it seemed to me that the Autonomous Zones were a wealth of potential backstory.

Very good then so welcome to the rp. Accepted.

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:54 pm

Beiarusia wrote:Nation Name: Beiarusia

Characters biography:
Lynn had a relatively normal childhood all things considered. Growing up on America's eastern coast, Lynn, the granddaughter of Vietnamese immigrants, witnessed firsthand the growing resentment and racism of the world at large, but given that Lynn and her family did little to stand out they were mostly unaffected, however, Lynn and her brother would eventually be given Americanized nicknames to better fit in with society and their peers (Hoa and Tai became Lynn and Jake respectively). The Nguyen family was not a rich one. Lynn's parents owned a small antique shop, and though they lived well within their means their means were not very high, but despite this the family was never hungry. After completing high school Jake, Lynn's elder brother, would attempt to join the United States Army as he lacked the grades and money to attend university, but despite his dedication to his home country Jake was turned away for reasons that were never specified. He would eventually delve into journalism with some success.

Shortly after Lynn's tenth birthday her parents would be killed in an automobile accident. Poor weather. With no living family within the United States Lynn was placed into the custody of her 21 year old brother who took it upon himself to raise his young sister. It was during this time that the two would become near inseparable. Having lost the family business Jake would support the two of them with his job(s) while Lynn attended school and did the chores. Again, life was difficult but not hopeless, and many happy memories were made over the next few years as the siblings overcame the sudden death of their parents. Sadly, this budding happiness was not to last. Rumors had spread throughout Lynn's school of her peculiar flirting habits, an accusation that she rightly denied, but regardless this served to isolate the girl from the few who were willing to overlook her outsider status. Worse, however, was the illness that Lynn developed during her sophomore year. A delayed doctor's visit (due to financial instability) would reveal the cause: cancer. The news was devastating, more so to Jake than to Lynn by appearance alone, but despite the black cloud now hanging over their heads the two attempted to make things work as best they could. Lynn remained in school while Jake worked to save up enough to afford his sister's necessary treatments, but by the point he had enough to even scratch the surface the cancer had already spread. A devastating blow. It was then that the oncologist suggested an experimental treatment being conducted at Longden Memorial and, as Lynn now fell within the requirements, and there was a negated cost, she was pushed forward for acceptance. That was five months ago (sixteen months after initial diagnosis) and the brother and sister have now moved to Boston, Lynn undergoing various clinical trials while Jake attempts to pay the high premiums. Lynn is, for all intent and purpose, happy despite the looming darkness that is her mortality, and she has since attempted to make the hospital (where she must stay) feel like home. Her brother visits whenever he can and, with her art brush to keep her busy, she takes on day at a time with a smile.

If only the others knew.

Very good. Yet another app to accept.

The Frozen Forest
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Frozen Forest » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:30 pm

Eh, what of the four groups need a character the most?

i'm indecisive...
Last edited by The Frozen Forest on Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Add 3,981 to my Post Count

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:32 pm

The Frozen Forest wrote:Eh, what of the four groups need a character the most?

i'm indecisive...

Hmm.. I would like some staff applications or elderly.

The Frozen Forest
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Frozen Forest » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:33 pm

Benuty wrote:
The Frozen Forest wrote:Eh, what of the four groups need a character the most?

i'm indecisive...

Hmm.. I would like some staff applications or elderly.

Alright, i'll have a app up sometime tonight.
Add 3,981 to my Post Count

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:39 pm

So the roster stands at seven at the moment. At minimum I would really like ten before the IC can get started. From the looks of it though it will not take long to reach that number.
Last edited by Benuty on Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deramen
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Deramen » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:49 pm

tag, expect a millitary app if possible.
You can call me Dera.
INFP-T.

[violet] wrote:
Scoochi2 wrote:I'm now being offered Filipino girlfriends...

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:50 pm

Deramen wrote:tag, expect a millitary app if possible.

Good to see you.

Deramen
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Deramen » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:52 pm

Benuty wrote:
Deramen wrote:tag, expect a millitary app if possible.

Good to see you.

Good to see you too! :)

Also, what do you think if my character had growing health issues as the RP goes on? It would make stuff much more difficult.
Last edited by Deramen on Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can call me Dera.
INFP-T.

[violet] wrote:
Scoochi2 wrote:I'm now being offered Filipino girlfriends...

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:54 pm

Deramen wrote:
Benuty wrote:Good to see you.

Good to see you too! :)

Also, what do you think if my character had growing health issues as the RP goes on? It would make stuff much more difficult.

I don't see why not since we are going to be cooped up in the hospital complex for some time.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse