NATION

PASSWORD

Of Artefacts and Antiquities WB Thread

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:24 pm

I just realized i need to add a family history to the Family app.
possibly a country of origin and notable members as well, though the notable members will eb ambigous for the most part.
Also app looks good Mun, so far anyways.

Vid, there will be quite a few curiosities in this rp, that is one of the Genres.
✒ I'm a Proud Member of VARSITY ROW! Come check us out! ✒

I'M A MEMBER OF THOUGHT CAFE
WE'RE THE AWESOMEST, COME CHECK US OUT

When i am not being your average Drunk at the Pub, i am the Founder and Headmaster of The Academy. On my off time i am also a Member of the Mechanics Guild. Member of The Council of the Multiverse community. Click me to find out more!

Mundeo
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Mundeo » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:29 pm

Shadowwell wrote:I just realized i need to add a family history to the Family app.
possibly a country of origin and notable members as well, though the notable members will eb ambigous for the most part.
Also app looks good Mun, so far anyways.

Vid, there will be quite a few curiosities in this rp, that is one of the Genres.

Awesome! I'll be adding a few artifacts soon.
What is a sig? A miserable little pile of words! But enough talk!
Have at you!

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:40 pm

Updated the Apps, and for anyone curious the rp will start in London as teh Councils Seats are there as well as the Museum, but the people will head all over the world.

When i am not being your average Drunk at the Pub, i am the Founder and Headmaster of The Academy. On my off time i am also a Member of the Mechanics Guild. Member of The Council of the Multiverse community. Click me to find out more!

Federal States of Xathuecia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:41 pm

Would my Clockwork man be a guardian who is just eternal?

I was thinking something like a Heimdall type character for him.
| LAND OF THE FREE ||AMERICAN||POLITICAL|| RP || IS || UP! | - JOIN NOW!

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:44 pm

Federal States of Xathuecia wrote:Would my Clockwork man be a guardian who is just eternal?

He could be an ancient construct of sorts, and due to the inanimate nature, they would be an exception to most of the poroblems faced by Supernaturals, as he would have a store of Magical energy independent of the Worlds Magical energy most other beings depend on.

Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:46 pm

Shadowwell wrote:
Federal States of Xathuecia wrote:Would my Clockwork man be a guardian who is just eternal?

He could be an ancient construct of sorts, and due to the inanimate nature, they would be an exception to most of the poroblems faced by Supernaturals, as he would have a store of Magical energy independent of the Worlds Magical energy most other beings depend on.

Perhaps he is an artefact but no one knows it. Except for the Museum which attempts to hunt him down because now they think he could actually cause problems. They would have ignored him as he would not have been very active and no problems with artefacts would have arisen before now.

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:54 pm

Federal States of Xathuecia wrote:
Shadowwell wrote:He could be an ancient construct of sorts, and due to the inanimate nature, they would be an exception to most of the poroblems faced by Supernaturals, as he would have a store of Magical energy independent of the Worlds Magical energy most other beings depend on.

Perhaps he is an artefact but no one knows it. Except for the Museum which attempts to hunt him down because now they think he could actually cause problems. They would have ignored him as he would not have been very active and no problems with artefacts would have arisen before now.

That will/could be a possibility, but that would be later on in the rp i think.

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

First of the Artifacts, we may hunt in the beginning.

Postby Shadowwell » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:11 pm

WB Artifact App:
Artifact Name: None, but is called Charles Dickens beloved Tobacco Pipe.
Type: Antequity
Mass produced?: no
Effect:It Both Draws spirits and darker things towards it and manifests them. Non magical humans and beings will feel depressed when near it or after they have used it. They will also be Haunted, by their dark past, doesn’t effect pure beings, like children or the truly innocent.
Artifact history: This Antiquity is an innocent enough looking pipe, unlike most of its time it was made from a special wood. Over time as Dickens hld it closer to his heart strange things started happening, these things culminated with his writing of The Christmas Carol. Since his death it has been passed from collector to collector.
Country/Mythology of origin: England
Enhance-able: Yes, someone with the right bloodline can master it.
Clues: Sightings of Ghosts in England, among other things

Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:13 pm

I got an idea for an artifact! Marie Curie's radioactive notebook!!!

Mundeo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Mundeo » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:14 pm

The first of a couple of artifacts I have planned.

App:
Artifact Name: The Sword of Vlad Tepes, the Bloodthirsty Blade
Type: Antiquity
Mass produced?: THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE
Effect: The blade absorbs the very life force of those that it slays, imbuing it with that power. For each person that someone kills with it, they will become stronger and more resilient. Over time, however, the sword drains the life of the one who wields it, replacing vitality with bloodlust.
Artifact history: This was once a mundane sword, used by Vlad Tepes to cut down his enemies in the hundreds. After his death, however, his bloodlust lived on with this blade.
Country/Mythology of origin: Romania. Dracula.
Enhance-able: The negative effects do not apply to a vampire, or someone with close blood ties to Dracula. In fact, they effects are the opposite. The vampire is temporarily relieved of their thirst for blood, drawing life directly from those they slay.
Clues: The whereabouts of the blade are unknown, but it is believed to have been buried with Dracula at Comana Monastery in Romania.
Have at you!

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:22 pm

Federal States of Xathuecia wrote:I got an idea for an artifact! Marie Curie's radioactive notebook!!!

No, i mean it would be possible, i guess, but it would have to be very well pulled off, lol.

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:32 pm

Mundeo wrote:The first of a couple of artifacts I have planned.

App:
Effect: The blade absorbs the very life force of those that it slays, imbuing it with that power. For each person that someone kills with it, they will become stronger and more resilient. Over time, however, the sword drains the life of the one who wields it, replacing vitality with bloodlust.
Artifact history: This was once a mundane sword, used by Vlad Tepes to cut down his enemies in the hundreds. After his death, however, his bloodlust lived on with this blade.
Enhance-able: The negative effects do not apply to a vampire, or someone with close blood ties to Dracula. In fact, they effects are the opposite. The vampire is temporarily relieved of their thirst for blood, drawing life directly from those they slay.
Clues: The whereabouts of the blade are unknown, but it is believed to have been buried with Dracula at Comana Monastery in Romania.

So i started thinking, the Familiy you suggested will be accepted (once you update it of course), btu they will be viewed with mild distrust by much of the Council due to the fact that Vlad was essentially the last being the Councils predecessors clashed with. The Council still does view Supernaturals with distrust due to the past adn the fact many of the newly awoken can't control themselves around humans.

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:42 pm

none
Last edited by Shadowwell on Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mundeo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Mundeo » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:35 pm

Shadowwell wrote:
Mundeo wrote:The first of a couple of artifacts I have planned.

App:

So i started thinking, the Familiy you suggested will be accepted (once you update it of course), btu they will be viewed with mild distrust by much of the Council due to the fact that Vlad was essentially the last being the Councils predecessors clashed with. The Council still does view Supernaturals with distrust due to the past adn the fact many of the newly awoken can't control themselves around humans.

The family app has been updated!
Have at you!

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:57 pm

Mundeo wrote:
Shadowwell wrote:So i started thinking, the Familiy you suggested will be accepted (once you update it of course), btu they will be viewed with mild distrust by much of the Council due to the fact that Vlad was essentially the last being the Councils predecessors clashed with. The Council still does view Supernaturals with distrust due to the past adn the fact many of the newly awoken can't control themselves around humans.

The family app has been updated!

Looked at it, while i would prefer more history it is fine, they will be with the Council, (In part anyways all major families are.) It is on the post now.

Also i was thinking of making it so that the "Newer" Bloodlines (For the most part) have more potential to be more powerful than the ones that have survived. The reason they dissapeared/went dormant first is because they required more magical energy than other bloodlines.

New Grestin
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Grestin » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:04 pm

So, I had a fair bit of interest in this, and I know you were looking for a picture for the OP, so I threw this together.

I went for a bit more of a noir theme to it, but if you feel like using it, just give some credit.

Major Magical Family App:
Family Name: Derleth
Country of Origin: United States - Specifcally Providence, Rhode Island
Family Head: Randal Derleth
Notable Members: Lavinia Carter, Francis Wayland Derleth, John R. Derleth, Noyes Derleth (Illegitimate Son), Sarah Derleth
Family Bloodline: Wild. While much of their family's history is steeped in mystery, it is known that their great, great grandfather, Wilbur Derleth, contacted many little known Eldritch entities. His dealings and interactions with these Aberrant entities would lead to much of the family today.
Family Magic: Wild
Family History:
    Little is known about the Derleth family prior to 1922, only that Wilbur Derleth immigrated to the United States after being drafted into the British Expeditionary Force. Among his many belongings was a book, said to contain immense eldritch knowledge. It was said by his many wives that Wilbur was a troubled man, haunted by his actions at the Battle of the Somme. While there is little information to find on exactly what he did, there was one report that he ran screaming from the German trenches during an offensive, covered in blood and clutching a strange book in his hands. He wouldn't speak much of what the book contained, though many friends said they would often find him musing over it, late into the night. He eventually settled down in Providence, Rhode Island, where he met his only consistent wife, Lavinia. The two married soon after meeting, and would father a sizable brood of children. Wilbur would later found a successful newspaper business, the Providence Herald, and moved into an enormous mansion on the outskirts of town.

At first, the Derleth family was a pillar of the community, helping to fund the nearby Miskatonic University and the like. Over time, however, more and more people became wary of the dark forest road leading to their mansion. People spoke of strange figures in the woods, of monstrous forms watching them as they passed. It was said that there was something "not quite right" about them. There were more rooms in the mansion than should have been possible, there were reports of strange chanting in the night, of inhuman shrieks and moans. After many years, Wilbur died, and his first son Randal took over the family's finances. When the Herald shut down in 1968, they found themselves sitting on a small fortune, and sit on it they did for nearly fifty years.

Now, their mansion is in shambles, and they've garnered a reputation as unsettling recluses, dabbling in eldritch magic. Only their youngest, Sarah, remains a somewhat public face for the family, working with small special interest groups to forward the family's enigmatic goals. Some say that the Derleth mansion is now the headquarters for a cult, working alongside horrible Aberrant creatures seeking to enact their will upon a world that forgot them. Others say that's a load of crap. All that can be said is that there's something not quite right with the Derleth family.
Notable Magics:
  • Shapeshifting
  • Limited Mind Control
  • Flesh Manipulation
  • Immortality (Unable to Age)

There are more Lovecraft references packed into this than anything else I've ever written.
Let’s not dwell on our corpse strewn past. Let’s celebrate our corpse strewn future!
Head Bartender for The Pub | The Para-Verse | Writing Advice from a Pretentious Jerk | I write stuff | Arbitrary Political Numbers
Kentucky Fried Land wrote:I should have known Grestin was Christopher Walken the whole time.
ThePub wrote:New Grestin: "I will always choose the aborable lesbians over an entire town."
Imperial Idaho wrote:And with 1-2 sentences Grestin has declared war on the national pride of Canada.
- Best Worldbuilding - 2016 (Community Choice)
- Best Horror/Thriller RP for THE ZONE - 2016 (Community Choice)

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:09 pm

New Grestin wrote:So, I had a fair bit of interest in this, and I know you were looking for a picture for the OP, so I threw this together.

I went for a bit more of a noir theme to it, but if you feel like using it, just give some credit.

Major Magical Family App:
Family Name: Derleth
Country of Origin: United States - Specifcally Providence, Rhode Island
Family Head: Randal Derleth
Notable Members: Lavinia Carter, Francis Wayland Derleth, John R. Derleth, Noyes Derleth (Illegitimate Son), Sarah Derleth
Family Bloodline: Wild. While much of their family's history is steeped in mystery, it is known that their great, great grandfather, Wilbur Derleth, contacted many little known Eldritch entities. His dealings and interactions with these Aberrant entities would lead to much of the family today.
Family Magic: Wild
Family History:
    Little is known about the Derleth family prior to 1922, only that Wilbur Derleth immigrated to the United States after being drafted into the British Expeditionary Force. Among his many belongings was a book, said to contain immense eldritch knowledge. It was said by his many wives that Wilbur was a troubled man, haunted by his actions at the Battle of the Somme. While there is little information to find on exactly what he did, there was one report that he ran screaming from the German trenches during an offensive, covered in blood and clutching a strange book in his hands. He wouldn't speak much of what the book contained, though many friends said they would often find him musing over it, late into the night. He eventually settled down in Providence, Rhode Island, where he met his only consistent wife, Lavinia. The two married soon after meeting, and would father a sizable brood of children. Wilbur would later found a successful newspaper business, the Providence Herald, and moved into an enormous mansion on the outskirts of town.

At first, the Derleth family was a pillar of the community, helping to fund the nearby Miskatonic University and the like. Over time, however, more and more people became wary of the dark forest road leading to their mansion. People spoke of strange figures in the woods, of monstrous forms watching them as they passed. It was said that there was something "not quite right" about them. There were more rooms in the mansion than should have been possible, there were reports of strange chanting in the night, of inhuman shrieks and moans. After many years, Wilbur died, and his first son Randal took over the family's finances. When the Herald shut down in 1968, they found themselves sitting on a small fortune, and sit on it they did for nearly fifty years.

Now, their mansion is in shambles, and they've garnered a reputation as unsettling recluses, dabbling in eldritch magic. Only their youngest, Sarah, remains a somewhat public face for the family, working with small special interest groups to forward the family's enigmatic goals. Some say that the Derleth mansion is now the headquarters for a cult, working alongside horrible Aberrant creatures seeking to enact their will upon a world that forgot them. Others say that's a load of crap. All that can be said is that there's something not quite right with the Derleth family.
Notable Magics:
  • Shapeshifting
  • Limited Mind Control
  • Flesh Manipulation
  • Immortality (Unable to Age)

There are more Lovecraft references packed into this than anything else I've ever written.

Until i saw the last line, i was going to ask, was all the lovecraft intentional? lol

You could go a step further and have them have Lovecrafts house (which was moved, as the original spot is now home to the Rhode Island School of Design). I did some researh for a Lovecraftian Cult located in a Sub basement of the School, which would have been a basement of Lovecrafts house.

I like it, though at the beggining atleast any actual Aberrant connection will have to be vague at best, ok?

New Grestin
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby New Grestin » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:13 pm

Shadowwell wrote:Until i saw the last line, i was going to ask, was all the lovecraft intentional? lol

You could go a step further and have them have Lovecrafts house (which was moved, as the original spot is now home to the Rhode Island School of Design). I did some researh for a Lovecraftian Cult located in a Sub basement of the School, which would have been a basement of Lovecrafts house.

I like it, though at the beggining atleast any actual Aberrant connection will have to be vague at best, ok?

Well, I was mostly using the Aberrant tag to describe the nebulous eldritch creatures they, and their cult, have been invoking since the 20s. They older ones are basically monsters at this point, while the younger ones only look just human enough to walk around in the daytime. They're basically a bunch of in-bred, backwater cultists.

They aren't going to be super thrilled about the Council, basically.

I decided not to outright put them in Lovecraft's house, though I did consider putting them in Dunwich or Kingsport to complete the whole "Imma do the Cthulhu mythos" thing I'm rolling with.
Let’s not dwell on our corpse strewn past. Let’s celebrate our corpse strewn future!
Head Bartender for The Pub | The Para-Verse | Writing Advice from a Pretentious Jerk | I write stuff | Arbitrary Political Numbers
Kentucky Fried Land wrote:I should have known Grestin was Christopher Walken the whole time.
ThePub wrote:New Grestin: "I will always choose the aborable lesbians over an entire town."
Imperial Idaho wrote:And with 1-2 sentences Grestin has declared war on the national pride of Canada.

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:19 pm

New Grestin wrote:
Shadowwell wrote:Until i saw the last line, i was going to ask, was all the lovecraft intentional? lol

Well, I was mostly using the Aberrant tag to describe the nebulous eldritch creatures they, and their cult, have been invoking since the 20s. They older ones are basically monsters at this point, while the younger ones only look just human enough to walk around in the daytime. They're basically a bunch of in-bred, backwater cultists.

They aren't going to be super thrilled about the Council, basically.

I decided not to outright put them in Lovecraft's house, though I did consider putting them in Dunwich or Kingsport to complete the whole "Imma do the Cthulhu mythos" thing I'm rolling with.

I was originally not going to allow characters with ties to the Aberrant ones, but since they arent atually with them, i will allow it, besides although the Council does hunt most Wild bloodline inheritors they can't kill them all, and they must maintain the Secret.

New Grestin
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby New Grestin » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:23 pm

Shadowwell wrote:I was originally not going to allow characters with ties to the Aberrant ones, but since they arent atually with them, i will allow it, besides although the Council does hunt most Wild bloodline inheritors they can't kill them all, and they must maintain the Secret.

Exactly, and blowing up the mansion of some former Rhode Island rich folks would be kind of hard to cover up. I was also going to include the idea that the Derleths are basically untouchable, since they could easily use their sources to blow the lid on their entire paranormal masquerade. Sort of like a nuclear option, if the Council were ever to come for them.
Last edited by New Grestin on Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:25 pm

New Grestin wrote:Exactly, and blowing up the mansion of some former Rhode Island rich folks would be kind of hard to cover up. I was also going to include the idea that the Derleths are basically untouchable, since they could easily use their sources to blow the lid on their entire paranormal masquerade. Sort of like a nuclear option, if the Council were ever to come for them.

The question is which of the Derleths are you going to have in the rp (Mainly, the rest can be Npc's) and what side would they be with?

Ah, i still need to come up with the Council's Precepts to keep the Secret. (Still not sure whether precept or Mandate soundes better.)

New Grestin
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby New Grestin » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:27 pm

Shadowwell wrote:The question is which of the Derleths are you going to have in the rp (Mainly, the rest can be Npc's) and what side would they be with?

Ah, i still need to come up with the Council's Precepts to keep the Secret. (Still not sure whether precept or Mandate soundes better.)

The main one is probably going to be Sarah, since she's the youngest of the bunch and acts as their public face. That's mainly because the others are, like I said, mostly horribly mutated at this point.

I'm not sure which side she'd go on, but it's likely she would play both for her family's (and their "benefactors") benefit.

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:30 pm

New Grestin wrote:
Shadowwell wrote:The question is which of the Derleths are you going to have in the rp (Mainly, the rest can be Npc's) and what side would they be with?

The main one is probably going to be Sarah, since she's the youngest of the bunch and acts as their public face. That's mainly because the others are, like I said, mostly horribly mutated at this point.

I'm not sure which side she'd go on, but it's likely she would play both for her family's (and their "benefactors") benefit.

There are or will be magical Tools to hide or change ones appearance, hell the Derleths could have had a hand in creating them. Perhaps she could be a double agent of sorts, Working with the Task Force (Which really needs a better name.) And the Museum. The museum would give more access to information, whereas the working with the Task Force would enable her to form more connections probably.
Last edited by Shadowwell on Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kinky Bastards
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Kinky Bastards » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:21 am

I have an idea for both an artefact and a family, with the artefact being linked to the family (although not necessarily in the family's possession anymore). But I must ask, is it possible with a recent bloodline of the Devil himself?

I'm thinking that during the second world war, an SS soldier on the Eastern Front made a deal with the Devil to make sure he survived the war. Thus, his dagger became an item of dark and hellish magic, capable of slaying almost any enemy. Then one night when the soldier was about to freeze to death, the Devil made sure to seal the deal by sending his demon daughter to "warm" him. It was a night the soldier never would forget, especially not with what happened afterwards.

Flash forward to a war-torn Germany in ashes, 1946. A broken veteran tries to build himself some sort of life in the rubble, for some odd reason, even though it seems to be in vain, when a couple of old "friends" decide to pay him a visit. The Devil and his daughter, and they brought company. A child, that they leave to him to raise. A deal is a deal. The bloodline must live on.

Satan could of course be a weakened creature, which partially could explain why he didn't collect the soldier's soul instead. It would also make that even though the bloodline is cursed, not all family members are evil.

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:53 am

Kinky Bastards wrote:I have an idea for both an artefact and a family, with the artefact being linked to the family (although not necessarily in the family's possession anymore). But I must ask, is it possible with a recent bloodline of the Devil himself?

I'm thinking that during the second world war, an SS soldier on the Eastern Front made a deal with the Devil to make sure he survived the war. Thus, his dagger became an item of dark and hellish magic, capable of slaying almost any enemy. Then one night when the soldier was about to freeze to death, the Devil made sure to seal the deal by sending his demon daughter to "warm" him. It was a night the soldier never would forget, especially not with what happened afterwards.

Flash forward to a war-torn Germany in ashes, 1946. A broken veteran tries to build himself some sort of life in the rubble, for some odd reason, even though it seems to be in vain, when a couple of old "friends" decide to pay him a visit. The Devil and his daughter, and they brought company. A child, that they leave to him to raise. A deal is a deal. The bloodline must live on.

Satan could of course be a weakened creature, which partially could explain why he didn't collect the soldier's soul instead. It would also make that even though the bloodline is cursed, not all family members are evil.

Yes and no, will explain when i am more awake

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse