NATION

PASSWORD

Rome: Iron and Rust (IC)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Alinora
Minister

Founded: Jun 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Alinora » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:56 pm

Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa
Salona,
Dalmatia,
Roman Republic

"As you see, Admiral, the shipbuilding progress is going well, but the bitter truth is that it'll take years for our fleet to match Pompey's in size, and we simply don't have that sort of time."

Marcus Agrippa nodded in agreement to his lieutenant, Adrian Merdus, as the two men walked down the docks of Salona and inspected the fleet. "I am well aware." Agrippa said with his arms crossed behind his back, examining the vessels. "However, when the time comes, we will not be fighting alone, my friend." The Admiral nodded to sailors and soldiers as he passed by, while also keeping his eyes attuned to the ships to make sure they are in pristine condition. Agrippa took pride in his fleet, and was strict in the way it was displayed. "We have the slaves and crewmen required to allow our fleet to move, correct?" Agrippa asked with a chuckle.

"Of course, Admiral" Merdus answered.

"And what is the status of our ground-based forces?"

"9,000 strong, sir. If needed we could raise a militia as well, though I only advise doing that if you believe the city is in immediate danger."

Agrippa nodded, stopping in the middle of the dock to examine a larger ship. "Please continue with the inspection, Adrian. I must return to my personal quarters - very important matters to attend to." Merdus responded by extending his arm into the air - a common Roman military salute.

"Ave" he said, to which Agrippa nodded.

"Ave, my friend." The young admiral then proceeded to exit the docks and make his way back into the city of Salona. It was a quite beautiful city, and gained substantial fame when Agrippa's fleet made it their port. Roman banners hung from buildings, columns of Legion soldiers marched through the streets, and the people seemed to enjoy a stable life considering the dire situation facing the Roman Republic. Agrippa made his way to a large, elegant stone building towards the center of the city which served as the fleet's headquarters, and proceeded to his personal quarters. As he opened the door, his eyes were immediately drawn to the beautiful, naked woman, sprawled out across his bed. It was Alena: one of his many mistresses. He sighed as he walked by the bed and to his dressing area and began to take off his chest-plate, and spoke to the woman from across the room. "I believe I told you that I did not have the time tonight. I'm a busy man, Alena, you can't just show up here whenever you feel like it."

"Oh, I'm sorry Admiral" she said. "You just seem so... stressed" she teased.

"Of course I'm stressed you stupid cow!" he shouted, throwing his metal chest plate in her direction, though it only smacked against the wall. "What I do or don't do in the coming days and weeks could either save or destroy Rome, and I might just be the petty admiral of a single fleet but there greater things - greater powers at work here, woman, powers that you could never possibly understand or comprehend! Now if you don't want to end up nailed to a cross, I suggest you keep your mouth shut. If I'm not in it, I don't want it open." With an expression of fear, she nodded. "Now you stay right there." Agrippa finished undressing, and proceeded over to his bed.

To Marcus Licinus Crassus,

I thank you for the swift response, and I understand your hesitations in regards to the trustworthiness of my friend and ally Marcus Antonius, but I assure you that he understands the true size and scope of the threat that is facing us, both in Pompey and the Brute I spoke of. Antonius will honor our agreement, my friend, that I can say with certainty that your lands in the east are safe while we fight the traitor in the west. My goal here is to establish a channel of mutual understanding and peaceful talk between a man of Caesar, and a man of the old Republic. These are trying times my friend, and though we find our loyalties divided, we cannot allow that to cloud the fact that in the end we both fight for Rome, and when Rome is in danger, it is where our loyalties lie exclusively. Now is not the time for mistrust - not while Rome is in this danger. I ask you to trust me, not as a man of Caesar, but as a man of Rome.

Yours,

Admiral Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa
Last edited by Alinora on Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gharin
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Gharin » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:19 pm

Albertae wrote:
Gharin wrote:
Agathe kissed him gently, not yet used to the look and feel of him. She wondered then if she was making the right decision; was it right to do little more than gallivant off with this Roman legionnaire? Her heart and mind were divided on the matter. Yet as she felt the touch of his lips, it seemed as though her heart overcame her superior muscle.

She prayed silently that the Goddess of Love would protect them on their journey.

As the kiss came to an end he realized just how late it was. The sunset was occurring. He asked her,"Shall we proceed back to the palace my love?" He held her hand as they walked back.

Agathe nodded her ascent; her long hair swayed gently in the Anatolian wind as she smiled at her new love. Gently, she grasped his hand and began the walk back to the Palace. On the walk, they spoke of their mutual experiences; of his family and hers, though she was careful not to mention quite who her father was. Instead, she mostly gave mention of her mother, Alexandra of Hattusa.

The old capital of the Hittites, now under the dominion of the King, was a great source of agriculture for the people. It provided them with grains and legumes, sugar beets and potatoes. The basin of the region had, of course, provided them with apples.

It was as she finished her story that she saw them; her mother, the King's former lover, and a messenger of unknown origin.
Factbook: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=47943
President-John Wallace

Vice President- Fiona Harold

Western Pacific Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 29, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Western Pacific Territories » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:48 pm

April 14th, 43BC, Somewhere near Sicily.

A slew of messages from birds had flown in over the pass few days, and Caesar had made a promise to not read any of them until he was ashore in Massillia, until another bird had flown in, and Caesar had had enough. He walked up to a legionary holding up a wooden box and said "I need to figure out what's going on, open the box." The legionary complied, and opened it and put it in Caesar's hands.

He went below-decks and walked up to a private desk, where he sat down and read the scrolls.

Thank you for this information regarding the Armenians, Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa. Though I have suspected ever since the Parthian campaign that the Armenians may have some loyalty to Crassus, it feels refreshing to know that both you, and Marc Antony remain steadly loyal to me. Rest assured, I thank both of you for your continued, and hopefully ever-lasting loyalty. May peace and fortune be with you.

In Regards,

Gaius Julius Caesar.

He had finished encrypting his response via a system he had developed to encode secret messages ages ago, of which people referred to as "the Caesar cipher". After he had finished with that one, he moved on to the response to Consul Publius, this one was uncoded.

Rest assured, Publius Crassus, I have not forgotten the man you are. I still consider you in all regards a excelling man in Roma, in charisma, intelligence, and cunning. While it is indeed true that me and your father have indeed split apart in recent years, you can be sure that I am defending the Res Publica. While I understand that the Senate will have doubts about my actions, after all, I am the nephew of the dictator Sulla, you can be personally assured that while I indeed am moving forces in Italia, it is not to establish myself as some sort of despot but instead to aid you against Pompey.

In Regards,

Gaius Julius Caesar.

After he had finished the messages, he attached them to messenger birds and threw them off.

Gharin
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Gharin » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:24 pm

The 8th of April, 43 B.C, Mazaca, Kingdom of Cappadocia.

The King sighed, finishing the letter; his friends in Rome had sent him news of the actions of Crassus' son. He would do many things, but would not betray his Roman friends. The Lord of Anatolia would prefer, before all else, to reconcile with the Senate and their elected Consuls prior to any conflict that may arise: as was such, he had written a letter of explanation to the noble Publius Clodius.

Health and Great Joy,

To the great Publius Clodius

Honored Consul and friend of the Kingdom Cappadocia, I ask most humbly that you relay to the Senate my words regarding the explanation of the events which have occurred; I have always and will always remain a friend and ally of Roma, and I have sought to do that which I believed would best reflect upon that sacred trust which we have long carried between our nations. In that regard, let it known that no conflict would ever arise against the Senate and their great Republic of which I would be party.

I shall explain, to the best of my informed knowledge, what led to this series of events; on sixteenth of March, I received word of a letter of unknown contents, obtained by the Court of Armenia. I knew little of what it might have contained; only that it spoke of guarding against the 'machinations' of Pompey and Caesar. I thought little of it at the time, yet this news from my trusted servants put me on edge at a deeper level; all knew in their hearts that Pompey sought to overthrow the Republic by that time, yet I prayed to the gods that the same could not be said of one so beloved and trusted by the people of Rome.

A time later, through various merchants of repute, we heard of the movement of troops within the Armenian Kingdom for an unknown purpose; several confirmed our suspicions that the worst had come to fruition: the Armenian legions were marching, not on some foreign foe, but on the legions of Roma in Asia Minor. I sought to gather an army to fight these treasonous heathens who would dare to slaughter the armies of Roma, and the great proconsul Marcus Antonius.

It was in that regard that, writing to the proconsul himself, I sought out aid. I did not and do not know of whom the Armenians seek to benefit. Yet I fear it is not Rome, nor is it any of their surrounding client states. I fear the hand of Pompey, or else some other benefactor in this endeavor.

Yours,

Ariobarzanes Reginus

Smiling, he tightened the scrolled and tied it to a pigeon, before watching it fly off.
Last edited by Gharin on Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
President-John Wallace

Albertae
Senator

Founded: Oct 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Albertae » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:48 pm

Gharin wrote:
Albertae wrote:
As the kiss came to an end he realized just how late it was. The sunset was occurring. He asked her,"Shall we proceed back to the palace my love?" He held her hand as they walked back.

Agathe nodded her ascent; her long hair swayed gently in the Anatolian wind as she smiled at her new love. Gently, she grasped his hand and began the walk back to the Palace. On the walk, they spoke of their mutual experiences; of his family and hers, though she was careful not to mention quite who her father was. Instead, she mostly gave mention of her mother, Alexandra of Hattusa.

The old capital of the Hittites, now under the dominion of the King, was a great source of agriculture for the people. It provided them with grains and legumes, sugar beets and potatoes. The basin of the region had, of course, provided them with apples.

It was as she finished her story that she saw them; her mother, the King's former lover, and a messenger of unknown origin.

Once they reached the palace Cossu was unsure what to do. Would they go back to their seperate rooms or would they get it on. He left this decision to Agathe as he held her hands and looked into her eyes during the beautiful dark of the night. It seemed as if she wasn't going to make a move so he went in for a long embrace.
Last edited by Albertae on Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: 2.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 3.33
Pro: Trump
Anti: Hillary

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived. -General George S. Patton
GENERATION 9: Social experiment. When you see this, add one to the generation and copy this into your signature.

Gharin
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Gharin » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:03 pm

Albertae wrote:
Gharin wrote:

Once they reached the palace Cossu was unsure what to do. Would they go back to their seperate rooms or would they get it on. He left this decision to Agathe as he held her hands and looked into her eyes during the beautiful dark of the night. It seemed as if she wasn't going to make a move so he went in for a long embrace.

Agathe grabbed his hand, looking into his eyes. Her words were clear and crisp as she spoke; her eyes were narrowed and her neck was briefly tightened.

"Love." she said "Let us go to my room."
Last edited by Gharin on Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
President-John Wallace

Albertae
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Albertae » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:09 pm

Gharin wrote:
Albertae wrote:

Agathe grabbed his hand, looking into his eyes. Her words were clear and crisp as she spoke; her eyes were narrowed and her neck was briefly tightened.

Cossus smiled and followed her lead. All Cossus could think about was her beauty and personality when he should've been thinking of what should be the repercussions of doing this. Love always clouded the mind though, so he followed more than willingly.
My Political Compass:

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived. -General George S. Patton
GENERATION 9: Social experiment. When you see this, add one to the generation and copy this into your signature.

Gharin
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Gharin » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:26 pm

Albertae wrote:
Gharin wrote:

Cossus smiled and followed her lead. All Cossus could think about was her beauty and personality when he should've been thinking of what should be the repercussions of doing this. Love always clouded the mind though, so he followed more than willingly.

Agathe nodded. She guided him, gently, towards courtyard. Once they had reached the end of the courtyard itself, she led them towards a back room which contained a grand marble staircase, etched with the Greek forms of the gods. Slowly but surely, she led them down the large hallway, through her dining room, and into the chamber outside of her bedroom. This seemed rather unusual; most Greek and Roman homes merely had the dining room connected to the bed chamber, and so it was a quandary as to why she had obtained such lavish accommodation's.

Though the room itself could hardly have been called a closet by modern standards, it did provide room to stand and took off ones clothes, and deposit them in the chest nearby. On the other side of the small room sat a small, circular table which carried a mirror. With a smile, the daughter of the King closed the door leading to the dining room, stripped herself in a manner befitting her Macedonian heritage, and deposited her clothing in the small chest with a wink.
President-John Wallace

Albertae
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Albertae » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:39 pm

Gharin wrote:
Albertae wrote:

Agathe nodded. She guided him, gently, towards courtyard. Once they had reached the end of the courtyard itself, she led them towards a back room which contained a grand marble staircase, etched with the Greek forms of the gods. Slowly but surely, she led them down the large hallway, through her dining room, and into the chamber outside of her bedroom. This seemed rather unusual; most Greek and Roman homes merely had the dining room connected to the bed chamber, and so it was a quandary as to why she had obtained such lavish accommodation's.

Though the room itself could hardly have been called a closet by modern standards, it did provide room to stand and took off ones clothes, and deposit them in the chest nearby. On the other side of the small room sat a small, circular table which carried a mirror. With a smile, the daughter of the King closed the door leading to the dining room, stripped herself in a manner befitting her Macedonian heritage, and deposited her clothing in the small chest with a wink.

Cossus winked back at her and smiled. He started to take off his Roman armor and place it on the table. All Cossus wore now was a loincloth. His godlike body showed and he was truly a magnificent sight to see. He had a certain feeling Agathe would look amazing too.
My Political Compass:

Gharin
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Gharin » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:46 pm

Albertae wrote:
Gharin wrote:

Cossus winked back at her and smiled. He started to take off his Roman armor and place it on the table. All Cossus wore now was a loincloth. His godlike body showed and he was truly a magnificent sight to see. He had a certain feeling Agathe would look amazing too.

Agathe smiled, her ample cleavage quite appealing in her state of utter undress. She seemed to be heaving from unknown reasoning as she walked forward and, with a strength that would have made the Greek Goddess of Wisdom proud, removed the loincloth and tossed it onto the chest where it rightfully belonged.

She then opened the door to her bed chamber, and walked in.

(and fade...because we really don't want to get banned)
President-John Wallace

Albertae
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Albertae » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:32 pm

Gharin wrote:
Albertae wrote:

Agathe smiled, her ample cleavage quite appealing in her state of utter undress. She seemed to be heaving from unknown reasoning as she walked forward and, with a strength that would have made the Greek Goddess of Wisdom proud, removed the loincloth and tossed it onto the chest where it rightfully belonged.

She then opened the door to her bed chamber, and walked in.

(and fade...because we really don't want to get banned)

The Next Morning...

Cossus awoke with a slight groan turning to the side to see his beloved. He said,"You were amazing. How do you think your father with react, love?"
My Political Compass:

Gharin
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Gharin » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:33 pm

The 19th of April, 43 B.C, the Kingdom of Cappodacia.

Agathe awoke with a smile on her face; her thighs felt wonderfully sore as she opened her eyes to stare at the handsome Roman. Reaching over, she stroked his face with her fingers before placing a kiss on his cheek. Her skin was still flushed with the aura of post coital arousal and it was clear that it would be some time until she would properly calm down.

"I am unsure." said the woman, before absently adding "He is a king, after all."

Just as she was getting up, she heard a knock on the door.

"Lady Agathe?" asked the female voice "Are you here?"
President-John Wallace

Albertae
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Albertae » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:46 pm

Gharin wrote:The 19th of April, 43 B.C, the Kingdom of Cappodacia.

Agathe awoke with a smile on her face; her thighs felt wonderfully sore as she opened her eyes to stare at the handsome Roman. Reaching over, she stroked his face with her fingers before placing a kiss on his cheek. Her skin was still flushed with the aura of post coital arousal and it was clear that it would be some time until she would properly calm down.

"I am unsure." said the woman, before absently adding "He is a king, after all."

Cossus smiled,"Oh Agathe, even kings enjoy life and love." When the female voice came from the door he looked to Agathe to see what she wanted him to do. He started to put his clothes and equipment on quickly.
My Political Compass:

Gharin
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Gharin » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:10 pm

Albertae wrote:
Gharin wrote:The 19th of April, 43 B.C, the Kingdom of Cappodacia.

Cossus smiled,"Oh Agathe, even kings enjoy life and love." When the female voice came from the door he looked to Agathe to see what she wanted him to do. He started to put his clothes and equipment on quickly.

Agathe shook her head, indicating for him to stop his dressing; the woman merely put on a loose toga and opened the door. The young maid gasped at the state of the normally formal woman.

"Hello, my Lady." said the woman, Aikaterine "You have been summoned to the throne room."

Agathe nodded, smiling "Of course."

Aikaterine nodded, walking away.
President-John Wallace

Albertae
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Albertae » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:14 pm

Gharin wrote:
Albertae wrote:

Agathe shook her head, indicating for him to stop his dressing; the woman merely put on a loose toga and opened the door. The young maid gasped at the state of the normally formal woman.

"Hello, my Lady." said the woman, Aikaterine "You have been summoned to the throne room."

Cossus stood half dressed unsure what to do. He looked to her for guidance. He decided to ask,"Do I get dressed and come?"
Last edited by Albertae on Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Political Compass:

Gharin
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Gharin » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:21 pm

Albertae wrote:
Gharin wrote:

Cossus stood half dressed unsure what to do. He looked to her for guidance. He decided to ask,"Do I get dressed and come?"

"Lightly but formally." said the young woman "You won't be wearing it long."

She smiled, then, staring at him with lust in her eyes. Her cheeks were flushed once more as she clasped her toga tightly and attempted to seek composure. Once she had calmed herself, she continued to get dressed for court. The daughter of Alexandra was radiant in her beauty.

Finally, she was done and she looked up to stare at the God like Roman.
President-John Wallace

Albertae
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Albertae » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:27 pm

Gharin wrote:
Albertae wrote:

She smiled, then, staring at him with lust in her eyes. Her cheeks were flushed once more as she clasped her toga tightly and attempted to seek composure. Once she had calmed herself, she continued to get dressed for court. The daughter of Alexandra was radiant in her beauty.

He'd gotten dressed as did she and wore a formal toga like her. He looked back at her lust in his eyes as well and walked over to her. He embraced her while holding her hands gently. After the kiss he waited for her to lead them to the throne room.
My Political Compass:

Gharin
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Gharin » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:36 pm

Albertae wrote:
Gharin wrote:

He'd gotten dressed as did she and wore a formal toga like her. He looked back at her lust in his eyes as well and walked over to her. He embraced her while holding her hands gently. After the kiss he waited for her to lead them to the throne room.

Agathe sighed in content as she broke away from the embrace to lead them to the throne room. Gathered there were all the officials of the land and beyond; Roman Ambassadors and petty Kings, mistresses and power seekers had gathered to hear the word of her father. The King sat, having opted for a circlet of gold rather than a traditional Greek crown today, on his throne. His scepter and robe seemed to glow with raw authority as he surveyed the room before. Finally, his eyes glanced upon his child.

"Agathe." said Ariobarzanes "Please come forward."

The woman smiled in a demure fashion, and proceeded to bow low in respect for her father and King.

"What is this I have heard?" the King asked "Glaphyra reported to me that you were seen in the presence of Octavian's envoy last night. Then Aikaterine stated that she saw in an undressed state, and it appeared that she could see him in your bed."

"My ...." Agathe began "Your grace....it is nothing that you've heard......Cossus and I were merely enjoying the city."

"Is this so?" asked the King, turning to the Roman "Is this true, Cossus?"
President-John Wallace

Ublia
Senator

Founded: Jun 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ublia » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:39 am

The Royal Palace, Sinope, The Kingdom of Pontus and the Bosporan

“An Empire stretching from Greece to Persia, from Scythia to Syria, yes this is what my father dreamed of.” Pharnaces II, King of Pontus and the Bosporan sighed as he looked down at the mosaic at the feet of his throne with wide, greedy eyes.

Before him amid the fine white marble floors sprawled, hundreds of tiny ebony tiles forming a picture of his father’s dream. A sad reminder of better days, before the defeats, the purges, the intrigues, my treachery, he frowned as he stroked his clean shaven chin in contemplation of those days. For a moment he quietly wondered if it had been worth it? Betraying his father, trading his corpse for a crown and kingdom to that fat excuse of a conqueror Pompey. Indeed what had he won but the scraps of an empire, still better the scraps then the noose at the end of a Roman triumph he supposed and even worse still the metallic taste of the poison his father may’ve added to his cup. He still recalled his elder brother Machare's expression as he’d tasted the foul brew that killed him, it was one of shock, terror and in that moment Pharnaces had known that would not be him. Yes he would not meet that end and he would not wind up his father, a fugitive hunted to the ends of the earth, no he would die a conqueror, he would do what even Mithradates the Great had failed to do, he would build an empire!

Yet where to begin? He looked south, yes to Cappadocia the weakest of the client Kingdoms given to that buffoon Ariobarzanes and smiled at the idea of watching the old fools head be sliced from the chicken neck it sat on. Yet still there were other options, so many options he grinned as he leaned down upon the world his father had so wanted, the world he would have for himself. Alas the would-be-conquerors musings were shattered as quickly as they came.

“Your Majesty.” A soft girlish voice purred.

“What is it eunuch? Have you need for more prisoners for your… research?” the King sighed in annoyance.

“Oh no sire,” Dionysius giggled covering his mouth with a flabby hand. “I am hardly in need of those yet. No sire I come bearing gifts.” He cooed.

“Gifts?” Pharnaces frowned as his eyes met the fat eunuch, what gift, he wondered. Likely another virgin from the Scythians, as if the harem isn’t filled enough.

“Indeed.” The eunuch smiled revealing from the folds of his vermillion silk robes a series of letters.

Rising the King snatched them from the torturers pudgy perfumed fingers as he cracked the seals and regarded the contents.
“Dionysius.” He began in a low voice.

“Sire.” The pudgy blond eunuch bowed.

“They are fabulous gifts.” The King smiled wolfishly as he turned to the fat little man.

“I suspected they would be your Majesty.”

“Send for my advisors.” Pharnaces at last commanded with a wave of his hand.

At that the little plump eunuch bowed and made his way out of the throne room, leaving the King to smile as he looked down at his gifts. Oh father, he gloated, it would seem I will accomplish your dream sooner rather than later, with that the great throne room was filled with roaring laughter.

They all came, the bloody Scythian, the ingenious father and son, the Princes, the Cappadocian even the Amazon all arrived before him with a great bow. Beside him the eunuch gazed down with a slight smirk sprawling across those dimpled cheeks.

“Rise.” Pharnaces sighed.

They did as they were bid.

“My friends, long has Pontus licked her wounds, but now no more.” He grinned.

Prompting all but the eunuch and the royal secretary to look befuddled. Of course he knew, even if Dionysius never told him he would know, Pharnaces mused watching the young half-breed with particular interest.

“Humph. What you lack in jokes you make up for in riddles, King.” Ateas grunted with his usual boorishness.

Folding his arms in stern silence the gruff nomad looked as sour as ever, as he watched his King with those narrowed snakish green eyes. Indeed where Pharnaces not seated atop a throne he may’ve been intimidated by the hulking barbarian who’s tanned skin bore the swirling blue lines of dozens of tattoo’s across his brawny arms.

“This is your King, Scythian remember he alone allows your miserable little tribe to even exist.” Gordius then sneered from beside the Scythian.
“Enough both of you,” Phillip commanded in his ever iron tones, “We have more to do then listen to you both hiss like old women in the market place.”

“Indeed.” Hypsicratea nodded.

At that the two men grumbled but fell in line. For they stood next to two who had served directly under the late Poison King, some more intimately then others… the King reminded himself glancing to the Amazon beauty. Tall, lithe and all the while hardened the golden haired warrior still was in her prime and when Pharnaces glanced at her he could understand his fathers desire to add her to his list of innumerable paramours, for she looked to be the godsess Diana herself incarnate. It was at the moment he knew one thing, he wanted her….

“I believe the suspense has run its course my King…” Dionysius pouted one more breaking the King’s less refined thoughts.

“Quite. Eunuch inform them of the gift we have received.” Pharnaces demanded his gaze turning from the Amazon.

As the eunuch read the words many stood in awe, others began to sink deep in thought and some looked on with glee.

“It is obvious then,” Gordius began drawing everyone’s attentions “We ally with Crassus and send Ariobarzanes off as part of Crassus’s triumph.”

That drew many serious nods, Crassus offered land after all. Land and vengeance, two things one does not easily refuse.

“You would have us go to war with Caesar?” Mithradates of Pergamon gasped.

“Of course, Caesar is in Gaul, Antony stands alone with miserable Cappadocia solely at his side. What better a chance then to strike now and avenge ourselves against these curs.” Gordius thundered.
Still Mithradates wavered.

“Brother this is madness! Recall what became of our father! Remember what came of war with Rome!” the Prince cried distraught at the prospect.

“Wars, Prince, not war and you need not remind us what some recall all too well.” Phillip the most revered man at the gathering, spoke in grim tones.

A solemn reminder of the war in his own right, Phillip still had the gruff look of a Pontic infantry Captain despite his command over the royal armies. Swarthy and spare, the man had the look of a battler to him with his square jaw and its bristling beard of silver and black his cold grey eyes could make even the haughtiest of men quiver. But most of all it was the scars he bore that served as the meetings reminder of those days, a wound from a Cappadocian lance slashed from his chin up to his left eye while upon his brawny arms the marks of sword and arrowhead further spoke to his valor. All marks won from his service in the army of Pontus from the great triumphs to the crushing defeats he’d seen many of them.

“Majesty,” Phillip stepping toward his sovereign, “Gordius is right, Crassus offers the greater reward for our loyalty. Olbia would allow us to strike Dacia and Cappadocian steeds proved more than effective in our wars with Rome, we should not spurn it.” He paused.

Pharnaces nodded, it was sound, Crassus was closer, he had the allies, if his letter spoke true and more importantly the army and gold to back him if he didn’t.

“Yet we should not be too hasty…” a new voice intruded curt and sardonic as always.

Stylis and tablet in hand the royal secretary was far to cunning for his youth. A fact shown in those eyes of his, like a snake’s those almond shaped eyes brimmed with ambition, much to Pharnaces amusement as he studied the youth. Slightly taller than his father, the young man was hardly a battler, no instead thin and pale the he sported a black Persian tunic and matching trousers in imitation of his father. Yet he refused to sport a beard upon his clean shaven face, a face sporting the Greek’s square jaw but lacking his hardness instead boasting the soft features of his Celtic mother. Furthermore with pride in his foreign blood the youth boasted a torc around his neck, though he preferred his dark hair left short unlike his barbarous kinsmen.

“Conon,” the King smiled, “You would disagree with your own father?” Pharances inquired.

At that the young man grinned slyly, “Hardly Majesty, I would simply note we must be ready for the ramifications to come of such an act.”

“Oh?” Pharnaces smiled.

Stroking his clean shaven chin Conon began.

“If we go to war with Antony it will not be Crassus to feel the first strike of the man’s blade, it will be us Pontus and Galatia. Strikes which will divide our forces should we strike Cappadocia…something though I may be no great general I know is risky. Therefore if we must divide our forces, we must in turn divide Antony’s.”

That caused the young Crown Prince Darius to chime in, “How? Antony need only face us should we oppose him!”

“Should he face us alone but what if it were not only us? All of Rome is against itself, not just Crassus and Caesar, but Pompey and the Optimates as well. What if we were to draw in one or even all of them to strike Antony in the rear, dividing the Romans and granting us the ability to deliver a heavier blow to Cappadocia.” Conon went on enthused.

Should we join Crassus that is.” Dionysius interrupted coyly.

“Naturally.” Conon replied.

You could learn a thing or two from this one boy, Pharnaces glared at his son who stood by sullenly.

“I approve of this idea, should we join Crassus-“ the King though was cut off.

“Should? Forgive me sire but what other option is there? Antony promises us no lands, cities or vengeance, he only waves his hand and expects us to die for him and his Queen of Nicomedia!” Gordius growled.

Queen of Nicomedia, it would’ve brought a smile to the King recalling Caesar as the butt of such a joke but this tone was most annoying.
Yet before he could speak messengers approached the dais.

“Majesty.” They bowed with respect before hurrying to their true masters ears’ to whisper.

Conon and Dionysius both paused as the words were spoken in low voices and then Conon nodded to the eunuch who stepped forward.

“Apologies your Grace, but your sister Athenais has arrived.”

That caused silence.

“Stall her, I’ve decided our movements and you shall be made aware later. Conon I would have you draft a letter and hear more of your plan. Ateas, Phillip I would see you both as well.” The King began unnerved by the Queen’s arrival.

Does she intend to beg for mercy? He wondered or perhaps practice some more cunning ploy? With that he watched as the eunuch exited with his other courtiers leaving only the Scythian and Greeks.

“Conon draft the letters.” Pharnaces commanded as he prepared to dictate.

Dionysius exited the throne room with the swiftness of Hermes, ordering his guards to seal it as the other courtiers exited before he noted the woman heading towards it. Darting forward he bowed quickly before smiling.

“Uh Princess Athenais, oh yes my apologies Queen Athenais. You look as stunning as you left us.” The eunuch flattered as he beamed at the Queen.

Behind such obsequiousness though he recalled his old mentor’s words: Flatter them, charm them, discern everything you can from them and then you’ll have everything you need. Smiling at the old mans cunning he waited for her reply barely noticing the young Conon leaving through a side door after a few moments, hurrying toward the royal stables with his followers.

To: Marcus Licinus Crassus Parthicus, Praefectus Orientalis, Proconsul of Mesopotamia
From: Pharances II, King of Pontus and the Bosporus, Heir of Mithradates, Friend and Ally of Rome and Overlord of the Barbarians

Greetings most noble Crassus,

Our Kingdom has heard of this treachery by the usurper who dares call himself King, Ariobarzanes and is most appalled. Therefore we declare ourselves your eternal friends and I declare this: Cappadocia will know the punishment for daring to oppose Rome’s Prefect of the East when it tastes Pontic steel. I do not send this letter simply to take up your call. In your previous letter directed to Pontus alone you spoke of the great peace you have maintained over the east and your fear some may attempt to break it, I inform you one such power is indeed determined to do just that. I now send you a letter from Mark Antony, the Queen of Nicomedia’s errand boy, who you will read demands that I make war upon our most beloved friend the King of Armenia! This cannot be tolerated.

As foul Tarquin once reigned in Rome through fear and violence now Antony would issue demands from his palace and act like sovereign of all Asia! This is not the Roman way noble Crassus. As a result I accept your request not only to help defend the East from those who would disturb the peace but those who would attempt to ravage your provinces. For which you have promised me restitution for foul Pompey’s acts against my Kingdom, the restoration of certain territories in Cappadocia and Olbia should I take it from the traitor. With regards to your promise of Olbia, I would propose that my Bosporan and Scythian troops under my most loyal servant Ateas and perhaps a legion under one of your subordinates deal not only with the city but ready for a full campaign against Dacia itself. Of course only when the east has settled naturally.

Returning to Cappadocia, I would furthermore state that I have sent letters to my ally the King of Armenia requesting he send an ambassador to discuss plans to deal with the traitor. Yet to make this plan truly effective I feel the need for our two camps to discuss our next moves especially with regards to Antony, so with this letter I send my most loyal secretary Conon of Trapezos, a man cunning beyond his years, who I have invested with full authority to negotiate on my behalf.

May Zeus and Ahura Mazda smile upon you most noble Crassus.

Your Friend and Ally,

Pharnaces II, King of Pontus and the Bosporan, Heir of Mithradates, Friend and Ally of Rome and Overlord of the Barbarians

To: Artavasdes II, King of Armenia
From: Pharnaces II, King of Pontus and the Bosporan, Heir of Mithradates, Friend and Ally of Rome and Overlord of the Barbarians

Most honoured cousin,

Once Armenia and Pontus under our fathers Mithradates and Tigranes both stood united not only in battle but marriage. Now once more it shall seem we shall stand together in battle, not against the legions of Rome but the traitorous King of Cappadocia. Already Crassus has declared that state an enemy of Rome and thus withdrawn the Senates protection from the usurper King Ariobarzanes. I would therefore propose that together we prove our loyalty to Rome and reap the rewards, let us unite our armies and just as our fathers divide that Kingdom among ourselves. Already my generals make their plans, my ambassador rides to Crassus and I ready the sword my father gave me, so I ask you to join me. Lead your armies from the east and send me an ambassador of your choosing so we might discuss how to best rid ourselves of this cur. I await your answer with great anticipation.

May Zeus and Ahura Mazda smile upon you great King.

Your Friend and Ally,

Pharnaces II, King of Pontus and the Bosporan, Heir of Mithradates, Friend and Ally of Rome and Overlord of the Barbarians
Last edited by Ublia on Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:01 pm, edited 7 times in total.
A Canadian Green Tory and Nationalist, who loves History, Sci-Fi, Fantasy and is always down to RP

"'Whither is God?' He cried; "I will tell you. We have killed him- you and I.'"- F. Neitzsche, The Gay Science
Economic Left/Right: -6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.51
Canada, Green and or Red Toryism, Environmentalism, Canadian Nationalism, Neo-Classical Realism
Neutral: Eggplants and Switzerland
Against: Communism, Separatism in Canada, Social Conservatism, Critical Theory (the last few years have been harsh), DESCARTES (don't blame me blame the Meditations)

Albertae
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Albertae » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:08 am

Gharin wrote:
Albertae wrote:

Agathe sighed in content as she broke away from the embrace to lead them to the throne room. Gathered there were all the officials of the land and beyond; Roman Ambassadors and petty Kings, mistresses and power seekers had gathered to hear the word of her father. The King sat, having opted for a circlet of gold rather than a traditional Greek crown today, on his throne. His scepter and robe seemed to glow with raw authority as he surveyed the room before. Finally, his eyes glanced upon his child.

The woman smiled in a demure fashion, and proceeded to bow low in respect for her father and King.

"What is this I have heard?" the King asked "Glaphyra reported to me that you were seen in the presence of Octavian's envoy last night. Then Aikaterine stated that she saw in an undressed state, and it appeared that she could see him in your bed."

"My ...." Agathe began "Your grace....it is nothing that you've heard......Cossus and I were merely enjoying the city."

Cossus replied calmly,"Of course not, your majesty. Agathe is quite good company to have and did as you asked by leading me around the city seeing the sights.
My Political Compass:

The Ik Ka Ek Akai
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 08, 2013
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby The Ik Ka Ek Akai » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:10 am

But Pharaoh said, "Who is Adonai, that I should heed him and let Israel go? I do not know the Adonai, and I will not let Israel go."

A slight change of plans was in order. The Antonius Conspiracy, it appeared, had been outed by Crassus, who threatened all the clients of the East should they comply with a war in Armenia. Things were confusing in the game of Roman politics. There were too many layers of governance and leadership. Who should hold the superior authority, the right-hand of the senate, or the local governor? Antonius was bold and daring, an admirable man, whereas Crassus was wealthy and influential. With retaliation threatened, Judea threatened, Miryam considered her options. She could continue the fight in Armenia, to the dismay of Crassus and possibly the doom of Judea, or she could abandon it and disappoint Antonius, who was as influential in Rome as Crassus was in Syria. She ultimately made up her mind: She had to comply with Crassus. She had no choice, as to not do so would declare Judea an immediate traitor to the Romans. While the Judeans did not like the Romans very much, both sides were promising her continued autonomy and survival, just so long as she kept alliance with Rome's interests.

Proconsul,

It has come to my attention that you have evidently uncovered a conspiracy in Asia. I would like to clear Judea of guilt in this matter, and reaffirm our loyalty to the Romans. We were contacted by the Anatolians and asked for an invasion of Armenia, supported by our elite maryannu soldiers. I shall take personal responsibility in stating that I had initially accepted their offer, albeit reluctantly, under the promise that what I was being asked was in the better interests of the Senate. To my knowledge, and according to the source of the letter, an independent conspiracy is risen in Armenia attempting to oust Roman support, and so it was our stated goal to end the treason and restore peace and beneficial governance to the region. Although I take responsibility, I ask that you grant leniency, for I had been deceived. I have issued an order for my soldiers to return to their homes, that Judea not be involved in treason.

Apologetically,
Miryam Kohenet

She sent the letter hastily, using the quickest Arabian steed to do so. At the same time, she drafted another letter.

Antonius,

Proconsul Crassus has discovered your intended invasion of Armenia, and has declared it high treason. Cappadocia is already suffering from the attempt, said to be an enemy of Rome, and so I must, with all good intent, withdraw my forces from the invasion. Judea does not need to be the enemies of the Senate, and becoming such with Crassus at our doorstep would be suicide, a high sin in accordance with Elyon. Not only would I be risking my own life, but that of my citizens. I apologize for the inconvenience, but I must warn that this message has been sent to all of the Eastern clients. Be wary, Antonius, for Crassus may seek the root of the invasion only to find you.

Sincerely,
Queen Miryam of Judea

With these two letters, she wished to stay fully neutral in the matter. That way, whichever side won could not blame her for being a traitor, for high treason, or any such crimes against Rome. Both men were highly influential, and she did not desire her people to go the way of the Sabines. Jerusalem was a proud city. It bore the Holy Temple, and thousands of years of history. The city was older than all of Roman civilization, her people some of the most ancient in the world. The Canaanites were a people of incredible antiquity; even the Romans could understand and respect such a thing. Thus, she would see that, to her dying day, the Land of Israel would not be slain and beaten down. It wasn't just her right to defend Judea, it was her duty. It was her purpose.

Just when she thought she finally had time to relax, in came yet another Roman. She groaned, though it did not echo through the hall through her own careful measure of her volume. "Ave Tribune." She said, greeting the man as he walked into her palace. She had expected him, and knew he had an audience coming up, but the simple lack of space between her duties frustrated the queen. At least tomorrow, she thought, would be a bit more clear of duties that she may simply enjoy the day once more. Romans were such a pain, with all their complex politics and vows to the Senate and the People, even if they had no actual interest in either of these. Whatever the case, Tribune Fabius had arrived. The only retribution for his interruption of her few seconds of peace she could hope for was that his Roman attire kept him warm in the Judean sun.

Gharin
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Gharin » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:25 pm

The Royal Palace, Sinope, Kingdom of Pontus and Bosporus.

Athenais gave a smile full of false sincerity to the cock-less fool. Her lips were soon pressed in a line that showed neither anger or pleasure, and her cheeks were firmly raised. Meanwhile, her stance displayed an outward lack of presence mixed with an aura of mystique.

"Thank you, Dionysus." said the Dowager Queen "But I am here to see my brother, your King."
President-John Wallace

Gharin
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Gharin » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:04 pm

Albertae wrote:
Gharin wrote:

Cossus replied calmly,"Of course not, your majesty. Agathe is quite good company to have and did as you asked by leading me around the city seeing the sights.

"Then pray tell, with Justicia as your judge, why I have been told by my daughter's maid Aikaterine that your loincloth was found on her chest?" asked the King "Is there any reasoning for this?"
President-John Wallace

Albertae
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Albertae » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:49 pm

Gharin wrote:
Albertae wrote:

"Then pray tell, with Justicia as your judge, why I have been told by my daughter's maid Aikaterine that your loincloth was found on her chest?" asked the King "Is there any reasoning for this?"

Cossus broke a moment unsure what to say, but decided to tell the truth,"Your majesty. It has seemed that your daughter and I have fallen in love. She and I share many likes and dislikes and she is the perfect lady to be around. It just happened to fast I wasn't sure what you'd think. Though, I know you are a sensible and caring man. And I know you will be sympathetic to what your daughter wants. I am at your mercy, but I ask you not punish you our daughter." He was sure he'd be making the right decision by doing this, but only time could tell.
My Political Compass:

Gharin
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Gharin » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:20 pm

Albertae wrote:
Gharin wrote:

Cossus broke a moment unsure what to say, but decided to tell the truth,"Your majesty. It has seemed that your daughter and I have fallen in love. She and I share many likes and dislikes and she is the perfect lady to be around. It just happened to fast I wasn't sure what you'd think. Though, I know you are a sensible and caring man. And I know you will be sympathetic to what your daughter wants. I am at your mercy, but I ask you not punish you our daughter." He was sure he'd be making the right decision by doing this, but only time could tell.

"Noble Cossus." said the King "Greek and Roman custom are not dissimilar; the laws of Rome being but the ways of Greece in writ yet modified with time. It is thus that you must know I cannot mistreat a stranger. The Gods would surely bring their wrath down upon me if I were to do so; at the same time, though it is within my right to do many things to my offspring, I shall not be like Saturn in the ways of parenting. While I am, admittedly, disappointed in the two of you.....it has happened. There is nothing to be done."

The son of Pontus and Cappadocia summoned his daughter to his side, and took her in hand. With a smile, he looked her in the eyes. He seemed calmer then; the young but caring father to the anxious young woman, desperately wishing for approval. On the side of the room, staring with narrowed eyes at the Roman, stood the beautiful Alexandra of Hattusa.

"Do you wish to marry him?" asked the King

"Father....." Agathe began

"I merely ask." said the sovereign "I am not a warden to hold you prisoner; we are not Zeus to the cyclops."

The woman paused, staring at first her father and then her cherished Roman. She then turned to Alexandra, in her radiant black toga and lapis jewelry. The older woman seemed to glower merely at the thought for some reason which escaped the girl; she could not know if her mother had had other plans which had been thwarted, or if she merely disapproved of the notion of her daughter marrying a Roman in and of itself.

"Yes, father." said Agathe "I would like to marry him."

The king, so young yet so old, smiled then. He called for piece of parchment and then, silently, wrote down several lines of wording in Latin before tying up the scroll and handing it to his daughter.

"So you shall my daughter. Via cum manu" said the King "By way of Usus."

Agathe looked at him in shock; she was free. She was eternally free of her father....and she had never asked to be.
President-John Wallace

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse