NATION

PASSWORD

The Awesome Pony Rp: Under the Shadow of War (IC)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Fascist Russian Empire
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Fascist Russian Empire » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:26 pm

The Visionary Rebellion,
Salt-Lick City

"I'll let you and Visionary take care of the politics; I'm a commander, not a politician and not a priest. While you two work on your documents, I'm going to dispatch a messenger to Ponyville to get Deep Insight to set up an Inquisition force here in Salt-Lick City; the abominations and Celestial traitors aren't going to kill themselves, after all. In the meantime, while we wait for the Inquisitors to set up shop, I'll be organizing and drilling our militias, getting them prepped and ready for battle. The All-Maker never rests, and neither will His army. Farewell." Iron Rose said, giving a quick salute before leaving to start managing the Temple's military forces.

"Right, well, seeing as you are the one with political experience, I will leave most of the details of the Holy City's charter up to you. I am extraordinarily well-versed in all matters of theology, having committed every revelation and decree from the All-Maker to memory, but I'm afraid I'm not particularly educated in matters of politics. By the divine decree of Providence most high, I live as a humble overseer of the All-Maker's Temple and one of His representatives on Equus; I have never had any involvement in political affairs, nor do I wish or intend to. Contrary, perhaps, to what the enemies of the faith may claim, the goal of the Temple is not to impose some sort of theocracy upon Equestria, ruled by the clergy; our goal, in fact, is simply to rid Equestria of the forces which seek its destruction, such as the abominations and the alicorns. I have no desire for political power; once the alicorn demons have been cast down from the throne, we will establish an elective monarchy, with fair and just rulers being elected by the citizenry. We're not here to conquer Equestria; we're here to save it. Along the way, we will, of course, revoke all the tyrannical laws created by the oppressors, and we will establish a justice system under which all who transgress against our society, be they murderers, rapists, enemy sympathizers, or any other manner of criminal, are righteously killed to protect and preserve Equestrian civilization." Visionary said.

"Beyond demanding that ponies refrain from transgression and refuse to associate or sympathize with abominations and other enemies of Equestria, under threat of execution if they fail to comply, and destroying all vestiges of oppression and inequity, there is little that the Temple asks from lay ponies. So, I suppose the primary thing of note for the new charter, in terms of compliance with the All-Maker's law, is an automatic death sentence for most crime; the threat of slow and horrifically painful public execution is a very powerful disincentive for criminal behavior, I assure you, especially when we have effective means of discovering crimes. Head Inquisitor Deep Insight has made revolutionary insights into all kinds of magic, especially scrying spells and ways to dispel illusions; with his help, we'll be able to set up a truly cutting-edge police force. The combination of extraordinarily effective means of rooting out criminals and terrifying punishments for all crimes will make even the most dedicated of criminal scum far too afraid to even entertain the notion of breaking the law. Beyond that, we will obviously repeal the Celestial restrictions on outing a changeling as being a changeling, the ban on same-sex marriage will be repealed, worship of the alicorns must be strictly outlawed, all legal protections of abominations and their sympathizers must be gotten rid of, privacy laws should be revoked in favor of allowing for far more comprehensive police activities against criminals and enemies of Equestria, etcetera. Everything else, I will leave to your prerogative; just never forget that our goal, first and foremost, is to protect Equestria from all who would harm it and its denizens. All who work inequity in our society must be killed for the greater good; it is the only way to ensure the everlasting safety and security of Equestria." Visionary continued.

"There isn't much more to know about the All-Maker's divine law. Dedicated ascetics and priests such as myself must live by numerous strict commandments, but lay ponies have no such obligation; as long as you ensure the new charter is sufficiently thorough in waging war against the wicked, and extensive enough in discarding the unjust edicts of Celestia and her lackeys, my comrades and I within the Temple shall have no objections to it. Now, if you don't mind, I really ought to be on my way. Numerous civilians were injured in the battle, and I have a righteous obligation to help them to the best of my abilities. I'm going to go to the All-Maker's sanctum here in Salt-Lick City and begin tending to the sick and wounded; you can find me there if you need me." Visionary finished before taking his leave.

The Great Salt-Lick Temple

Visionary stood before the immense structure in front of him and was filled with an overwhelming sense of awe, standing before a holy monument unlike any other which had ever been seen in Equestria. He wasn't a particularly well-traveled stallion, having spent his entire life in and around small towns along the frontier; Salt-Lick City was the first major population center he had ever been to. He had never seen the world-famous feats of architectural ingenuity which big cities like Manehattan were famous for, but, upon beholding the All-Maker's holy oasis, he knew no mortal would ever be able to match the glories of his lord. As he passed through the golden barrier surrounding the vicinity, life began to feel completely surreal; he felt as if he was in the midst of a small patch of the heavens which had manifested upon the mortal world. It certainly was a steadfast and powerful reminder of the strength and might of the All-Maker.

Though he had come with a specific purpose in mind (performing his obligation to provide charity to the destitute), he couldn't help but be overcome by an immense desire to take a moment to explore the vast and grandiose temple complex around him. After all, it wasn't every day that one got the opportunity to visit the holy sanctum of a god. He took some time to wander the marble halls of the magnificent structure, exploring for quite a while until he eventually found himself in front of an unusual door, discreetly hidden in the corner of one of the building's numerous altar rooms. It was made of stone, had no doorknob (rather, there was simply a narrow slit through which nothing could be seen), and was covered in engravings depicting a great battle between ponies and changelings. Rather quite interested, Visionary touched the door with a hoof, and, suddenly a brief vision flashed before him, in which he saw himself holding Dawnbreaker and inserting it into the door.

Following his vision's instruction, Visionary unsheathed Dawnbreaker and inserted it into the narrow slit in the door. Immediately, the door started turning transparent and emanated a golden glow. Visionary reached out again and tried to touch the now see-through door, only to find his hoof go straight through it; the door was visible, yet could not be touched or felt. Feeling even more intrigued, Visionary withdrew the blade from the now-ethereal door and, holding it in a hoof, proceeded to walk into the dark room beyond him. He found himself in a large, wide-open, high-ceilinged room, illuminated by the faint glow of Dawnbreaker, the most prominent feature of the room being a large and elegant altar. Surrounding the altar was a circle of twelve gilded statues depicting Visionary and his eleven apostles. Each statue was surrounded by a circle of unlit red candles, and each of which was holding a sword (with the sole exception of the statue of himself, which was noticeably missing one).

Curious, Visionary placed Dawnbreaker in the empty hooves of the stone statue; the response was immediate. There was a blinding flash of light and, when Visionary's sight returned, he saw that all the red candles in the room had ignited themselves, and the statues each had glowing eyes. A beam of light started emanating from the altar, with a single scroll was floating in mid-air in the center of the ray of light. Compelled to investigate it, Visionary dropped his sword and picked up the scroll, unfurling it and reading its contents. The scroll contained a poem, written in red ink, which Visionary proceeded to read through:

There once was a great Lord,
With power over both sword and fjord.
Ruling over everything,
Order he would bring,
For he was the greatest King.

Upon one fateful morning,
Without any warning,
There appeared many a monster,
Who wanted nothing more than to conquer,
For they were the race of the impostor.

They came to the Lord's gate,
Full of hidden hate.
His servants told him of the creatures of toxicity,
Shrouded in mystery,
Seeking to bring nothing but misery.

But the Lord's heart was hardened,
And the monsters were pardoned,
For he was full of skepticism,
Not believing the supposed barbarism,
Dismissing the concerns as naught but racism.

He expected there to be peace,
With himself as the world's centerpiece,
But he had been fooled,
For the monsters would never let themselves be ruled,
And a great treachery began to be spooled.

They were the changelings,
Driven to perpetrate heinous sins.
Waiting 'till the strike of midnight,
Using all their might,
They wrought upon the realm a great blight.

The Lord had been betrayed,
Having let himself be played.
The monsters struck at the Lord in full force,
Showing no remorse,
Striking from every source.

As soon as the Lord did awake,
He realized his mistake,
But it was too late,
For his enemies would never hesitate,
Nor would they ever negotiate.

Full of righteous indignation,
With no time for lamentation,
The Lord took swift action,
Seeking a retraction,
To fix the consequences of his inaction.

Blade struck against blade,
And the Lord fought the enemy unafraid,
But the abominations,
Chanting vile incantations,
Stood steadfast against the Lord of all Creations.

Wielding a mighty artifact,
One the Lord could not counteract,
The monsters struck a powerful blow,
Stopped by neither griffin nor buffalo,
And the world was filled with woe.

Filled with dread,
The Lord fled,
Going into exile,
Vowing retribution against all those who would defile,
And destruction of all that which is vile.

He found refuge in a sacred place,
One his enemies could never deface.
From his seclusion he watched the world,
And the decimation which had unfurled,
With his fist curled.

The world had become tragic;
Nearly all had forgotten the name of the great Lord of Havoc,
But a blessed few still rang his war drum,
Proclaiming his glory with a solemn hum,
In the blessed name of Letum

As Visionary finished reading the final line of the scroll, a circle of purple flames appeared around him, and the ground started sinking out from underneath him. The world started spinning, and consciousness quickly started fading from him. Visionary blacked out, and when he awoke again, he found himself somewhere completely different; he looked around his new surroundings and saw a completely different world around him. He was in a city of solid gold, built in a strange architecture reminiscent of the ruins scattered throughout the Forbidden Jungle. There were huge structures all around him; vast pyramids, temples, castles, and every other manner of immensely impressive building could be seen for miles in every direction, in addition to innumerable smaller buildings. Everything looked extremely different from what Visionary was used to; even the sky looked completely different, the new sky above him being full of colorful lights. Despite the vastness of his surroundings, there was nopony else around him from first glance; the city which surrounded him appeared to be completely empty. Before Visionary could explore his surroundings, he was interrupted by the voice of his master.

"Good; you've arrived." the All-Maker's voice whispered.

"My Lord, what is this place? Why have you brought me here?" Visionary asked.

"This is my own personal realm, beyond the reach of mortals; a separate dimension, the very existence of which has gone unknown for many millennia. It is a truly safe place, for no mortal even knows it exists, let alone how to access it; you are the first to ever enter it. As for why I've brought you here...we'll get to that momentarily. Enter my palace, the large square building behind you, and we will speak face to face." the voice commanded before fizzling away.

Visionary, filled with anxiety and excitement, did as the voice commanded. He turned around and walked inside the building behind him, an immense golden palace; it was a very wide, three-story tall structure, built in the shape of a hollowed-out square, a large and open courtyard existing in the middle with an innumerable variety of exotic plants. He walked through the doors, and navigated the entrance hall of the great structure, finding himself awe-stricken by the unbelievable extravagance of the place, the walls and floors being entirely built of solid gold and lined with jeweled statues and sculptures, while many diamond chandeliers lined the arched ceilings (accompanying masterful artistic murals painted across the entire ceiling). It was a sight which would easily put Celestia's royal castle to shame, eclipsing even the most lavish of mansions and castles in Equestria, a true testament to the All-Maker's splendor.

At the end of the hallway Visionary came to a set of tall golden doors, adorned with hundreds of shining gemstones; Visionary went through them and found himself in a great throne room. The floor, rather than being made of gold like the rest of the palace had been, was built from a great variety of gems, with colorful patterns being laid out throughout the room, forming intricate mosaics. Several gilt columns had been built, upon which were banners displaying a coat of arms (upon which the primary feature was a rainbow-colored eye, much like Visionary's cutie mark). Hanging from the ceiling (which, much like the floor, was composed of jeweled mosaics forming a variety of patterns) were four jeweled chandeliers which provided the only light in the dimly-lit room. At the end of the room, with a series of stairs leading to it, was an elevated ivory throne underneath a large, gilded baldachin.

Sitting upon the ivory throne was a tall draconequus with a black body, a manticore's tail, a rabbit's paw and a diamond dog's claw in place of fore-hooves, a griffin's talon and a goat's hoof in place of hind-hooves, a red pony's head bearing two jagged, curved horns, with a dark blue mane and rainbow-colored eyes, and a griffin's wing and a bat-pony's wing adorning his back. Resting upon his head was a large crown in the shape of a skull, made of solid diamond, encrusted with a number of diverse gemstones and adorned with a great deal of colorful feathers, while covering his body was a suit of golden armor bejeweled with rubies. He had a very regal appearance, giving off a very commanding presence. Visionary bowed before him and the draconequus spoke.

"I bid you welcome to my sacred domain, my Prophet." the draconequus, the All-Maker's physical form, said.

"My Lord, your avatar is a draconequus?" Visionary asked, rather curious about his master's physical form.

"I can bend my appearance into whatever form I so desire; I mastered the art of transformation magic many thousands of years ago. Ponies normally associate the ability to change one's appearance with the abominations, seeing as they have natural knowledge of shapeshifting spells, but such spells can be learned by almost any talented wizard. I could easily assume the mantle of any mortal race, but I see little reason to do so. This form stands out; it distinguishes me from the common rabble, and creates an air of mystery and power around me. This body makes it clear that I am no mere mortal; rather, it makes it abundantly visible that I am on a far higher level than any mortal being. It is well that you would ask me about it, because I have a relevant task which requires your urgent attention." the All-Maker said.

"What would you have of me?" Visionary asked.

"As you surely know by now, I am powerful; more than a match for almost any opponent. However, even gods have limits, I'm afraid. While I am capable of exerting some minor magical influence over the mortal world, speaking to mortals and creating some minor weather effects for example, my power on Equus is actually very limited at the moment; my little magic show in Salt-Lick City was a matter of smoke and mirrors, creating the illusion of an all-powerful wizard being involved on the battlefield. Conjuring clouds and manipulating electric charge to create lightning strikes is child's play for an experienced magician, and voice magnification is an almost effortless process, though, I must admit, it was rather effective at striking fear into the enemy. In order for me to access more dangerous powers, and truly utilize my full force against the abominations and their armies, I must have a physical presence in the mortal world, which leads us to our problem. My avatar is stuck here in this dimension, and has been for an incredibly long time; I stopped counting after one thousand, three hundred and forty seven years." the All-Maker told Visionary.

"But how? How could you possibly be stuck here? Surely you must have the power to go wherever you please?" Visionary asked, rather confused.

"Ordinarily, yes, I would, but I have been under...less than ordinary circumstances. Let me explain the whole story; I suppose you deserve a history lesson. You see, many, many thousands of years ago, I was the God-King of the land you now know as Equestria, having unified the continent millennia before the abominations ever migrated there. Back then, the indigenous races were the griffins and buffalo; they were rivals, very dedicated enemies. The two races were in a state of constant war, each determined to conquer the continent for themselves. Then, I came along and...convinced them to make peace with one another, and I crowned myself as the new King of both of their kingdoms to enforce the peace I had made. I reigned for thousands of years; I was, indisputably, the sovereign lord of the entire continent, King of the Griffins and King of the Buffalo. Times were great back then; everyone lived in peace, because they knew I would kill them in the most gruesome of ways if they ever decided to go back to the old ways of violent rivalry and war. I ended up getting too accustomed to not having to worry about threats, because my subjects were far too afraid to ever violate my laws. I was incredibly unprepared when a real, incredibly dangerous threat manifested itself from a faraway land." the All-Maker explained.

"I was still the absolute monarch of the whole region when the changelings started their conquest. They arrived in endless swarms, migrating by the thousands into my realm, pretending to be innocent refugees seeking asylum. My subjects warned me that they were not to be trusted, that they were nothing but monsters seeking to destroy their civilization, and that I should drive them out before they had the opportunity to strike. Full of hubris, having come to believe that nobody would ever challenge my authority and that I could easily overcome any opponent, I ignored them; I let the abominations settle throughout my lands, expecting that they would be easily reformed into loyal citizens. I was wrong. Not long after I started allowing the endless waves of mass-migration, they started a coup against my rule, ambushing my soldiers and attacking me in my capital. That wasn't the real problem; I could have defeated them under ordinary circumstances. The problem is that more or less all immortals like myself happen to have an obscure weakness somewhere; usually a magic weapon of some kind, the Elements of Harmony being a pristine example. Somehow, they managed to find a magic artifact capable of defeating me on the battlefield, much to my complete surprise. They utilized it to great success, draining much of my magical energy, delivering a powerful blow to me in battle. I was forced to flee the mortal world; I cast a teleportation spell on myself to allow me to swiftly escape, arriving here in my private dimension. While I was able to recover from the effects of their little artifact, swiftly regaining my energy, it left me with an unforeseen after-effect. You see, their artifact created an indefinite anti-teleportation ward on my body; I fled here before the effect was fully in-place, leaving me in the rather frustrating condition of being trapped in this realm with limited ability to interact with the mortal world. I can still teleport other things, and I still have some degree of power over Equus, but, for the time being, I am more or less crippled." the All-Maker continued.

"But...you're the creator of the universe! Surely, you should have known the true intentions of the abominations, right? And your powers are immense; surely, you must have some means to dispel the enchantment yourself?" Visionary asked, quite shocked that his master had limitations.

"Like I said, not even gods have limitless power. I'll let you in on a little secret; the concept of divine omniscience and omnipotence is just a way to scare people into showing self-control, by instilling the notion that they're always being watched and will be punished if they ever do anything wrong. The powers of the gods have always been exaggerated for the sake of creating incentives and disincentives for certain behaviors. It's all for the greater good, though; the illusion of always been watched by a being with limitless power can be a truly major force of behavioral alteration. That's not to say I've been lying, and that my divinity is nothing but smoke and mirrors; I certainly have a great deal of power, and take notice of a great many things, and ponies will of course have a positive or negative afterlife based on moral or immoral decisions. I have been honest in these regards, though some elements have been embellished on some level, I will admit; it's all necessary for the establishment of social order, as I learned long ago." the All-Maker told him.

Visionary didn't know what to think; he was completely taken off-guard. He had been under the resolute, unwavering, fanatically zealous mindset that the All-Maker was entirely all-knowing and all-powerful ever since he was first approached by His emissary in Appaloosa; to learn that his god had embellished his resume, and that his powers had been exaggerated, was a truly shocking revelation. He could understand the reasoning behind it; order needed to be maintained, and the illusion of a constant overseer was an effective means of keeping things orderly and civil in society, but it was, nonetheless, still a bit of a disappointing realization.

"Well...What do you expect me to do, exactly? I don't have any magic powers, let alone an understanding of archaic wards and enchantments or how to dispel them." Visionary asked.

"You don't need to; I've already figured out what needs to be done. I've devised a summoning ritual which will allow you to bypass the ward and summon my avatar to Equestria. I've studied for endless centuries, and I'm certain there's no way for me to manually lift the spell and return to the mortal world, but I believe I have found a reliable method through which someone else can do it by summoning me from Equus. You should be able to find the details of the ritual in the book I gave you; I created the Liber Secretorum as a channel of conveying sensitive information. The book will automatically show whatever I want the reader to see, and will only be legible to authorized individuals. It was, and still is, a revolutionary concept." the All-Maker explained.

"Is there anything else I need to know? Visionary asked.

"Yes; take these words to heart, for they are important. Trust absolutely nopony, not even those who profess to be your allies; the world is full to the brim with deceivers, traitors, and charlatans. Even as we speak, ponies who outwardly claim loyalty to our cause are conspiring to bring about destruction of the Temple of Vision from within. Treachery is rooted deeply within Equestrian culture, thanks largely to so many years of fruitless tolerance towards the abominations; be on your guard at all times, and be ready to strike at a traitor at any moment. Even at the highest level, loyalty is a rare commodity, and ponies will still let themselves die in vain for the sake of those who would see them living in slavery. Prepare the summoning ritual in complete secret; tell nopony about it, and carry it out in seclusion. Now, go; your comrades back on Equus are probably getting suspicious of your absence. Go in peace, knowing the time is fast approaching for my splendor to return to the waking world." the All-Maker finished. With a sudden snap of the All-Maker's fingers, Visionary found himself teleported back to Equestria, where he would have a lot of work ahead of him.

Lord Philip Blackwing,
Manehattan

"I won't need much, I'm sure. Unlike certain other claimants to the throne, I'm competent; I could win a war using half the resources Guto would need. Sixty million bits would give me more than enough to outfit a suitably large army with all the bare necessities; guns, ammunition, rations, etcetera. Alternatively, eighty million bits would allow for the purchase of a lot of extra artillery and other such devastating weapons for the battlefield, which would speed up my victory quite significantly. Eighty million, on top of my own wealth and the donations I will most certainly receive from my aristocratic supporters, will more-or-less guarantee a swift and decisive victory." Philip told Chrysalis.
Last edited by Fascist Russian Empire on Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Frenequesta
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 22, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Frenequesta » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:07 pm

Dodge Junction, 55 Years Earlier

"Cherry Ranger! Cherry Ranger! Can ya h'lp Auntie g't down the toolbox whil'ah find Juby her bottl'?"

The young, deep magenta-coated, sandy brown-maned earth pony looked up from her mousetrap to hear the crying of her cousin. There was always a lot of work to do on the cherry farm, but even more so with Aunt Marie taking care of her first daughter. She carefully set a small piece of cheese on the catch, and trotted inside the shed and climbed the haystacks to pick up the toolbox. Clinching the handle with her teeth, she carried it over to the pressure gauge, set it down, and opened it to pick up a wrench.

There had been a good rain last week, but the ground seemed to dry up as soon as the water came. While the semi-arid environment was perhaps not ideal for sweet or tart cherries, the Cherry family did reasonably well with a somewhat primitive drip irrigation system, connected to a well on the opposite side of the farm. Usually, if there were any problems with the system, it was because the pressure regulator or the filter was imperfectly built, and regular adjustments to the screws and the pipes around them were sometimes necessary.

But that wasn't it this time.

In fact, Cherry suspected it wasn't the pressure regulator to begin with, since she had to replace it a month ago. But it was good to make sure, as the new pipes themselves weren't always the best quality either. "Hmm. No dents..." She unscrewed another pipe and found nothing, and then carefully inspected the tank itself. Everything seemed to look normal. Everything, except for one.

Aunt Marie came over carrying Cherry Jubilee sucking a bottle. "Well, anythin'?"

"No, Aunt Marie. I think it's something different this time," she said. "The inlet gauge is showing a quite lower pressure than normal. That either means there's something further up that's broken... or there just isn't enough water."

"Well, it'd be mighty odd for there to be not enough water, with that rain last week," said Aunt Marie, as the three heard Cherry's mousetrap go off. "But I guess we better check."

So Cherry Ranger and Aunt Marie followed the pipes to the well, looking out for any odd bends or holes. But there was nothing. That just left the well...

Cherry Ranger took a pebble nearby and threw it down the well. Usually it took two seconds to hear a splash. This time it took four. "Yeah, it's the water..." Cherry sighed.
---
About a week later, Cherry Ranger, Aunt Marie, Uncle Tart, and Cherry Jubilee were at the table eating breakfast when they heard a knock at the door. Cherry Ranger volunteered to answer it--she loved meeting people, were they old friends or strangers, and she opened the door with a smile.

In front of her was a yellow-coated, ochre-maned unicorn in a gray blazer and a red necktie. Cherry soon matched the frown he had on his face. "Good morning, miss," he said dryly. "Are your parents at home?"

"Well, my Aunt and Uncle, yes. They run the farm." Aunt Marie, carrying Cherry Jubilee, and Uncle Tart came up as if on cue.

The unicorn looked at them with the same dry expression. "You're Mrs. Marie and Mr. Tart?" The two nodded. "Alright. I'm from the Environmental Control Bureau. We learned a week ago that the Ogallopa water table has undergone a sudden reduction."

"Oh, we know," said Uncle Tart.

"I thought you would," said the bureaucrat. "We have investigated and found that the Stockmare Dam that just opened had a far greater impact on the Ogallopa than originally estimated--and in fact the developer and engineers were taking magic shortcuts to artificially fill the reservoir. We're still investigating the matter. In the meantime, I'm here to tell you that you're eligible for a twenty bit per pound loss compensation for your troubles."

"Twenty bits?" asked Uncle Tart, stunned.

"We barely make forty per pound as it is, and that just barely covers our expenses!" said Aunt Marie.

"Sorry, but that's the rule," said the bureaucrat. "I mean, you are growing in a less-than-ideal region. So take it or leave it. Or, you could petition to change the rule, if you can make a good enough argument." He took a few notes, took a couple sheets of paper out of his pocket dimension and put it down on the floor in front of Aunt Marie. "Here's what you need to fill out. Return it to the Environmental Bureau within the next month and we'll have a check for you in due time. Good day," he said, and left the four for the next farm affected.

Aunt Marie looked down at the papers and snorted. "Hmph. Ah'll betcha hog's ear they ain't investigatin' anythin'. Y'know how it is, pointy-headed int'llectuals in Canterlot dreamin' up all sorts of great things and we pay for the damage."

"Oh, come on, Marie. W'll survive," Uncle Tart consoled.

Cherry looked down at the papers as well, and picked them up. She had heard Aunt Marie rant like that before, but for the first time she understood where she was coming from. That unicorn was a jerk, she thought.

She perused the tables and blank spaces that seemed spilled across the pages. "Should I get the account records?"

A pause hung over the air. Finally, Aunt Marie sighed. "Well, bits 'r' bits. Might as well send a petition too, ev'n if they ain't gonna listen in th' end."

Canterlot, Twenty-Four Years Later

Cherry Ranger was not content to just "petition to change the rule"--she wanted a hoof in changing the laws themselves. And she got it, winning the seat of Roanford, a suburban earth pony district just outside of Manehattan, for the Agrarian Party.

Her first year on the job was a little daunting, but fortunately she found a mentor--Bravetail, an earth pony Rose for San Flankcisco's 2nd District. Though they disagreed much on technological, magical, and military issues, they found common ground in many social and electoral issues, and more importantly both were willing to debate with each other and be open to new ideas. He had helped her forge her first compromise on an agriculture spending bill that passed with a good margin, and was helping her with some tweaks to the regulatory appeals processes and Housing Assistance grants, among other things.

Today, however, the Fellowship of Life was on their minds. Outwardly, its message was open and innocuous--be nice to each other, everyone has the same rights, avoid meat--but its leadership, under the Reverend Mindswirl, was secretive, and its rituals even more so. There were reports that reenactments of the Creation, where somepony would take on the role of the dying All-Maker, amounted to torture. Not to mention that somepony had leaked a receipt showing that some top members had placed an order for an unusually large number of firearms, beyond what any individual member's permit would allow. And the Fellowship retreat in Bucko Flats was lasting longer and longer, despite flyers saying that it would only last a week. Bravetail, who knew many members of the Fellowship that lived in his own district, took these developments personally.

The two met passing in the hall, as usual at two o'clock when Cherry Ranger got out of the Agriculture Committee hearing and Bravetail out from lunch. And as usual, they struck up a conversation, and soon the Fellowship came up. "Well, it took some cajoling, but I got the funds," said Bravetail. "I'm going down there."

"You did?" asked Cherry Ranger, surprised. "I thought we were just going to let the Justice Bureau do its job."

"Well, they got their hooves full probing the Environmental Bureau on those dam kickbacks. By the way, I left a couple of notes on your special oversight commission draft in your mailbox. You're definitely getting better."

"Thanks," said Cherry Ranger. "But are you sure you want to go down there? I fear you're just going to hit a brick wall."

"Why do you say that?"

"Let me tell you: I had a friend, a good friend from Dodge Junction. We both were quality control inspectors, first for my aunt's farm and then for Sweetheart's in Roanford. We'd work together; we'd go fishing together, we'd talk about everything together. She was always very thoughtful, very considerate, very understanding. Then, one day, she joined the Church of the Great Omniscience. It changed her. She'd talk about nothing but the Great Omniscience and how it always knows what you're thinking and what you're feeling, and how believing in it will give you a little bit of that great power. I'd point out that she missed a cherry with an obvious green blemish and she'd snap and accuse me of being jealous that I didn't have her powers. I didn't want anything to do with that 'Church.' I tried to tell her that this wasn't her, but she kept on saying that she never changed, and that I was the one who needed changing and a few good sermons from the Conduit. Then she went on a 'retreat' with the Church. I never saw her again. In fact, nopony I know ever saw her again.

"I'm... I'm just not sure you can just go over there and change their minds. Once these cults have them, there's no going back."

"Cherry," said Bravetail, "These are my constituents. They know me. They elected me. They just need someone else to remind them of all the injustices that are going on down there. Their leader is in violation of the very principles that it espouses and they'll understand that. In fact, I think Mindswirl realizes it too but he's just caught up in too many of the rituals to see it clearly. I'm going down to Bucko Flats, and I mean it. It's the right thing to do."

"Well, if you really think you must, I can't stop you. I might not understand, but I'm sure you know what you're doing," sighed Cherry.

"I mean, I do have an extra train ticket since one of my aides fell ill. Maybe you can help me out, you're good at persuasion."

"Not that good," Cherry chuckled uneasily. "Good luck anyway."

Bravetail nodded, and left the office. Cherry felt a sudden chill go down through her, as if Fate had been stalled, but only to continue on.
---
After a few days, the headlines started to pour in:

Fellowship Task Force Disappears Inside Compound

Ritual Sacrifice: MP Bravetail Murdered

Royal Guard Closing in on Bucko Flats

Commander: Might Need to Deploy "Secret Weapon" on Fellowship

Last Stand: Rev. Mindswirl Kills Self; 492 Members Found Dead; 5 Top Members Arrested

Canterlot U Philosophy Prof, 3 Others Found Guilty of Bravetail Slaying

Cherry took it upon herself to write the eulogy for her mentor's memorial service. She had not known him that long, and had to interview other deputies to flesh out his accomplishments, but she felt that his impact was nonetheless profound. She considered herself both very lucky and very unlucky.

Present

The talks and the hearings seemed to put Cherry Ranger on overdrive. Of course, the recent news on Salt Lick City's fall made just about everypony nervous, Through questioning, dealing, compromise, calming of tensions, and a little maneuvering, she managed to finally persuade Lopesy Neigh to drop the changeling roundup, especially after Smoky Topaz reminded Lopesy about how important the Sovereignty Doctrine was to the Crystal Empire and the constituents of the heavily Rose Party-dominant cities of Vanhoofer and Whinnyapolis. After really thinking about it, however, she agreed to keep the draft, but only after Captain Shining Armor had given it his recommendation. She was also able to save the Equestriaid funding but not Housing Assistance (as even Smoky Topaz, Trilby, and Thunderstorm agreed that its reforms "were long overdue"), at but at least carved out an exemption for changeling mound projects. Other changes to the budget were wrought as well.

Most personal to Cherry Ranger was a line that eliminated funding for her official 70th birthday party. It was in the works for at least two years--originally it was to commemorate her thirty years of service in the Chamber of Deputies, but was delayed after some doubt arose over her ability to retain her seat that year (not to mention her recent ethics scandal had left a sour taste in more than a few deputies). When she did stay Roanford's representative, the party revived, but the thirtieth year had already passed and so they decided to put it on her 70th birthday instead, celebrating both her long service and long life. The whole appropriation was just a few million bits, but it was victim to Lopesy's hard accounting. Her birthday was three weeks away and it was soon that Cherry would be looking for caterers. So it was more than a bit of an annoyance. With some effort, however, Cherry convinced Lopesy to keep just under a million bits for the party, saying that the country "needed a little fun after all of the crisis," though certainly aware it would not quite be the big gathering initially imagined.

"...Looks good; I think Levering would approve," said Mauve Legato, recently promoted to the Appropriations Committee.

"Aye, it's something I could get the Cornucopians to fall behind," said Robert, who, as a member of the Natural Resources Committee, was especially concerned about some mining programs that were at risk in the new budget.

"Might be best to run it through with the Naturals and Patriots too, just to be sure," said Cherry almost automatically.

"I hear they're both a bit dissatisfied about a lack of focus on weather, especially since Cloudsdale fell," said Trilby.

"I'm pretty sure there's something for a temporary station near Buckmark. Or was it near Lincolt? I forget. But I'm sure it's there. Just hoof it over to Meadowlark and Amber to check."

Smoky and Thunderstorm both took a copy of the amended bill for the two remaining party leaders. They and most of the other deputies left the room. Cherry Ranger still had a few papers to sort out, so she stayed in to put them back in their folders, and of course, she expected Smoky and Thunderstorm to come back soon.

But she didn't expect Princess Twilight.

"Hey, Miss Ranger, is this a bad time?"

"What? Oh, no. Come... on in," she said, smiling as best she could.

Twilight trotted in and sat down in front of Cherry, taking out a couple of books and a few stacks of paper from her pocket dimension. "I found Looking Into the Light fascinating, and I think I have a couple of spells that I think might be helpful..."

She went on to describe a spell that could illuminate the traces of a magic sentient, then one that could temporarily block any magic it could cast. Finally, she explained a spell that she thought might be able to exorcise a magic sentient out of somepony without killing her, although she cautioned that it might require another two spells to be cast at the same time by two other ponies. Cherry tried to keep interest but before long her mind started to wander.

"...but once the stability nodes are joint-recalibrated to 6.2, we should be able to also contain it as well." She paused to look at Cherry, who was looking a little tired and disgruntled.

She popped back up. "Oh, sorry, Princess, do go on."

"Alright," said Twilight. "I also found some information on possible tactics that we can use against the Temple... which makes me wonder, though. You knew what was in the book, right?"

"Yes..." Cherry nodded with a raised eyebrow.

"And you're on the Royal Guard Committee, right?"

Cherry nodded again.

"I'm sorry if this sounds a little stupid, but... why'd you direct me to the book? The Guard probably has top-secret spells that are more effective than I could learn. And to be honest, I kind of hoped to spend a little more time with my kids today as they get used to their new home. So why didn't you just bring it up to the Guard?"

Cherry's ear twitched with lightning speed, and she almost immediately, though slowly, got up. "Because," she sang with a strut, closed eyes, and a pompous grin, "I'm just an earth pony! I don't have the skills to fully grasp the mysteries of magic. What questions would I ask? What answers would I forget? Besides, you're Shining Armor's sister and a Princess--despite those memos I sent to the Senate--you'd have more weight with the Defense Bureau, don't you think?"

She opened her eyes to see Smoky and Thunderstorm right in front of her, more than a bit bewildered. Smoky spoke first. "Memos? Do you mean..."

"Yes... that was me," Cherry sighed. "I was bewildered that we were going to make Twilight Sparkle a princess, but too many of you were all for it! She didn't have the experience yet--"

"Cherry," said Thunderstorm sternly. "We get the picture." He then turned to Princess Twilight. "I'm very sorry for this, Princess. Can I do something for you?"

Twilight was somewhat bewildered as well. She understood that perhaps her mentor had been driving for her ascension a bit much, but she didn't think anypony would be so staunchly opposed, especially after saving Equestria more than once. "No, sir," she said. "I just came to share my research on combating the Temple. I'll leave my papers here for you. I don't mind it getting published in the record."

"Alright," nodded Thunderstorm. "I'm sure it will be helpful. Your service to Equestria is greatly appreciated." Twilight nodded back, and left the room.

Smoky tapped her hooves in the awkward silence. "Uh, I think I'll just leave Meadowlark's comments here, too," she said, and, after putting down a few sheets of paper, left the room as well.

Thunderstorm walked up to Cherry with a deep but nervous frown. "Cherry... we Agrarians are quite skeptical of overusing magic, to be sure. But... we don't say it in that way anymore."

Cherry simply drooped her head.

"You're really on thin ice now. And as far as the party goes... you're on your own."

Salt Lick City

Sapphire Quill nodded as she took notes of all of Visionary's words. But his paradigm seemed strange. She thought that Salt Lick City was declaring independence from Equestria, not trying to protect it. After all, the elites in Canterlot seemed largely oblivious to its needs--the mining and, to a lesser degree, manufacturing sectors had taken a downturn in recent years. Part of it was due to increased (and in many Saltlickers' minds, unfair) competition from the Diamond Dogs, another part was due to a shift in preference for plastic and wood materials (and the Dessert Valley lacked oil nor many trees), and another part was due to increased oversight from the Environmental Bureau and its seemingly endless updating of regulations. The Salt Lick City economy was still healthy, but wages had declined for many. She knew quite a few who seriously considered the city's independence before today. At least the new charter would be a good stepping stone for such a full move.

"Okay. Thank you, Visionary. I do hope this new charter becomes a model for the rest of Equus," she said after reading over her outline again.

After Visionary left, she couldn't help but look down at the little plaque that described her husband's achievements. After looking around, she put the plaque in her pocket dimension, and left the union hall for city hall, or whatever still remained of it. She would probably order Rock Mason to rebuild it once the wall was at least partly finished.
I’m mostly here for... something to do, I suppose.

The Flutterlands
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Flutterlands » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:03 pm

Polo Game

Pitch Black smiled warmly as he listenes to his brother Copperfield. "Well, I don't know much about rocks and gems and stuff." he said with comfort in his voice, "However, it sounds like mining might be your calling. You could be mining for gold and gems and such in caves as a grown up. Would that sound like something you'd like? Kind of considering that you're a pegasus and mining is an Earth Pony's job."

Zelenka made a small smile as she listened . "Maybe You are more like an Earth pony than a pegasus." she spoke softly, "I don't think it's the same as me being a filly despite having... colt parts. However, I think it's okay to live more like an Earth pony than a pegasus. Fluttershy seems to do the same thing in her care of animals."

Eventually, the time came when the Polo game came to an end. They returned to Ponyville and go the Crystal Tree castle to find Twilight with her nose still inna book. The children gretted their step-mother and told them about the game and meeting Copperfield. Twilight smiled and replied: "Let's just say I'm glad you all have struck such a good friendship with each other, despite all of your differences."

Canterlot

Princess Celestia was sitting in her study when the letter from Sparkling Coffee arrived, upside down, no less. She wasn't bothered by it and simply picked up the expected letter to read it. She frowned troublingly she read and sighed. It now seemed like the whole world was falling apart with the Pony-Changeling War, the Equestrian Civil War and now the Griffin Kingdom's Civil War. Nonetheless, she knew that the king needed her help Thus, Celestia began writing her responde on a letter.

Dear Sparkling Coffee,

I am very glad to hear word on your negotiation with King Guto II and I am quite disturbed by these new changes in events. I have already received word that Philip have been aiding Chrysalis quite successfully. This makes me even more disturbed to learn that Philip is once again declaring war against our allie. He must be stopped. However, I also find that 100 million is quite a big number considering our own funds and thus will go with your suggestion of 75 million. However, we are willing to negotiate.

Please inform the king that he has our full support and will do whatever wecan so far to aid him in the coming threat against his reign and kingdom. We both understand how important the close relationship between our two nations and spieces have been for the past thousand years and it must be contained. Do not fail to make our negotiation fail, my trusted Ambassador.

Sincerely, Princess Celestia.

Like Sparkling Coffee, Celestia rolled up the parchment and turned her magic to a small metallic hoop on a pedestal on her desk, which began to glow purple. She released it and a swirling array of blue and white filled the hoop. She then picked up the rolled parchment and put it through the hoop. The parchment burned as it went through until it was gone to reappear at the tablr of Ambassador Sparkling Coffee.
Last edited by The Flutterlands on Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Flutters - Minister of Justice of the Federation of the Shy One - Fluttershy is best pony
Who I side with - My Discord - OC Pony - Pitch Black
White, American, Male, Asexual, Deist, Autistic with Aspergers and ADHD, Civil Liberatarian and Democratic Socialist, Brony and Whovian. I have Neurofibromatosis Type 1. I'm also INTJ
Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -4.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.77
Pros: Choice, Democracy, Liberatarianism, Populism, Secularism, Equal Rights, Contraceptives, Immigration, Environmentalism, Free Speech and Egalitarianism
Con: Communism, Fascism, SJW 'Feminism', Terrorism, Homophobia, Transphobia, Xenophobia, Death Penalty, Totalitarianism, Neoliberalism, and War.
Ravenclaw

Frenequesta
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 22, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Frenequesta » Mon May 22, 2017 5:59 pm

Epilogue

The Chamber of Deputies passed Lopesy Neigh's appropriation and draft measures by a vote of 302-147 (Cherry Ranger abstaining) and the Senate approving 120-30. Later, Parliament passed a more enlightened version of Lopesy's changeling relocation measure, creating the Internal Equestitarian Act, authorizing the Domestic Bureau to create a program "for the re-accommodation of threatened persons." For about two weeks, the program operated clandestinely, working with the Peacekeepers to bring changelings and changeling sympathizers to the Crystal Empire.

The interception of a note Rock Mason wrote to one of the administrators of the program confirmed to the Temple that the Equestrian government was trying to weaken its efforts to rid the world of changelings and that changelings were employed by Salt Lick City undocumented. He and a number of other Peacekeepers associated with the Works Commission were given mock trials by Temple authorities, where they were convicted of high treason and crimes against Equestria; they were subsequently given public executions, most being burnt at the stake (though Brief Wit, Sapphire Quill's boss at the law office, was acquitted by Sapphire Quill for promising to recant his affiliation with the Peacekeepers and share information on other Peacekeeper networks; and reminding her that she was an at-will employee and that partner status was waiting for her when she left public office). The discovery of the conspiracy prompted a much more aggressive expansion policy by the rebels and further contributed to the increasing militancy of the anti-changeling elements of Equestria, preempting a series of major rebel offensives (utilizing weapons and munitions claimed from Royal Guard arsenals throughout the Dessert Valley).

Through the leadership and aid of the All-Maker, the rebellion continued to thrive throughout Equestria. Having widespread support throughout the Equestrian Midwest and the frontier, large stockpiles of weapons and supplies, a large force of ideologically driven fanatics, and the immense magical power of the All-Maker on their side, they were able to rapidly snowball into a huge problem for the government. The rebel army marched to victory after victory against Celestia's army, defeating multiple counterattacks and seizing control of several more cities and towns, including Las Pegasus and San Flankcisco, further bolstering their forces and resources as their territory grew. They were seemingly unstoppable, growing in strength and scale with each passing day, posing an undeniably major threat to the Celestial diarchy. Before long, the All-Maker and his army began laying siege to Canterlot itself, attacking the very heart of the Equestrian government.

Celestia knew she had to do something; she had two major enemies seeking her downfall, and was fighting a losing war on either front. Even if she managed to defeat the rebellion, her army would doubtlessly suffer enough casualties to guarantee the changelings would be able to easily triumph over the remnants of her forces, and even if she managed to defeat Chrysalis the rebels would almost certainly be able to defeat what remained of her army and fulfill their goal of a new government across all of Equestria. Realizing the desperate gravity of her situation, she went to the negotiating table with the All-Maker and other major rebel figures to discuss the terms of a peace treaty. Holding a great deal of bargaining power against her, the rebels demanded a number of major concessions. First and foremost among their demands was the total reversal of the changeling-integration policy in its entirety; every last pro-changeling reform, including but not limited to government-mandated nondiscrimination and affirmative action programs, would be repealed in full. Second among their demands was that the Third Treaty of Tripony be suspended throughout the duration of the war, effectively allowing the rebel forces to commit war crimes against the changeling community with complete legal impunity, and the Equestrian government would make no efforts to prosecute the rebels for the massacres they had perpetrated against the changeling community. Third among their demands was that the Temple of Vision become a legally protected entity in Equestria, with guaranteed freedom of speech and tax-exempt status among other things, and that the government would enact similar protections to other anti-changeling organizations and ideologues, effectively allowing anti-changeling agitators to operate throughout the country with impunity. A number of other concessions were also demanded, including the termination of the changeling relocation program.

However, Princess Celestia still tried to keep the Crystal Empire out of the provisions of the treaty. Sapphire Quill, who had by this time also became the Temple's official legal counsel, read the fine print just before the treaty was to be signed and immediately demanded that the Crystal Empire exemption be struck and make clear that the Sovereignty Doctrine did not apply to the treaty. Princess Celestia realized that the only way out now was outright independence for her adopted niece's territory.

On the request of Princess Celestia, Parliament authorized the Crystal Empire to conduct an independence referendum if Princess Cadence so chose to, over strident objections by Cherry Ranger and Blind Justice for Celestia giving in too much. Cadence was initially surprised at Celestia's move, and Shining Armor knew that he might lose command of the Crystal Guard and therefore an extra set of troops to fight the Changeling Empire, but eventually they both agreed that it was probably the for the best and Shining could still lead the Crystal Guard in a subsequent treaty with Equestria.

Meanwhile, Sapphire Quill knew full well of Celestia's intentions. After some consultation with other Temple leaders, they agreed that they would only accept the Crystal Empire's independence if other districts in Equestria were given the same right and that it would not enter any treaties or agreements with the Crystal Empire relating to changelings. Princess Celestia reluctantly agreed to this, and made a new independence referenda recommendation to Parliament. Though Parliament debate was more contentious This time, with members such as Cherry Ranger and Constellation warning that more district independence would "bring us back to the era of Windigos and disharmony," the recommendation passed by a single vote. With that, the "Peace of Canterlot" was finally official.

The Crystal Empire held its independence referendum the following day, returning an overwhelming "yes" from the population. It came at a rather significant price, however: Cadence was wary that the Temple might still turn on the Crystal Empire, and with disagreements on using the Crystal Guards' integrated troops, the Crystal Empire decide to pull from its alliance with Equestria in the war against the Changeling Empire and concentrate on its own self-defense.

Razor Wing and all his changeling allies were greatly disheartened by Celestia's decision to give into the ToV's demands. None of them could stand the very thought of so much work made in improving Pony-Changeling Relations. Many have even seen this as outright betrayal on Celestia's part, even despite her explanation of what actually happened. Thus many groups of changelings went back to the old way of life. Many took on disguises to assimilate into the pony community without being noticed, taking extra measures to avoid suspicion, others migrated to the Crystal Empire, while a large number returned to the mountains and caves that they called home. Most of the colonies and hives cut off all ties to the Equestrian nation that was once their ally, making a pact to avoid making dealings with ponies ever again. Others, however, have even became fully convinced by Chrysalis's word about pony kind and joined her cause to overthrow the pony race.

Despite the Crystal Empire's and changeling allies' retreat from the Fourth Pony-Changeling War, Equestria's new alliance with the Temple turned out to be a net positive, at least for a while. Between the combined forces of the Royal Guard and the rebel army, and the combined powers of the Diarchs and the All-Maker, ponykind was able to create a truly formidable united front against changeling aggression. Over the course of the few months following the Peace of Canterlot, the Equestrian forces made dozens of vicious counterattacks against the Changeling Empire, winning victory after victory and liberating city after city. The desolate, barren, depopulated ruins of Cloudsdale, the little town of Hollow Shades, and the big cities of Fillydelphia and Baltimare each fell to the triumphant pony forces, the changelings facing defeat on every front. Throughout the process, changelings in the liberated cities were treated mercilessly; retribution-seekers, both from the violently anti-changeling rebel forces and from the liberated ponies (many of which had been instilled with viciously anti-changeling sentiment after the changelings had brought slavery and death to their homes), made relentless attacks against the changeling communities in the formerly occupied cities, with thousands of changelings being massacred in savage reprisals against their kind.

The Fourth (and, in all likelihood, final) Pony-Changeling War finally reached a bloody end at the Battle of Manehattan, a day which would live in both legend and infamy. The combined army of Celestia and the All-Maker descended upon the city, attacking it in a coordinated effort. The changelings had an artifact which disabled non-changeling magic; it mattered little to the advancing pony forces, who relentlessly struck at the enemy with guns and artillery. Thousands of fanatical martyrs from the Temple, led by the Prophet Visionary, swarmed Manehattan, showing a ferocity in battle the likes of which would frighten even the legendary warriors of griffin mythology, emboldened by the knowledge that their enemies were foul, ungodly abominations, and that they would receive passage to the greatest of afterlives if they died fighting them. Thousands of Royal Guards fought alongside them, filled with courage of their own, knowing that they were driving out the last vestiges of Equestria's nemesis, though their dedication paled in comparison to the pure fanaticism of the rebels.

As the changeling forces began to crumble and their defenses were breached by the pony attackers, things very rapidly went downhill for Chrysalis and her army. A major slave revolt broke out against the changelings; tens of thousands of pony slaves and resistance members, seeing the vulnerability of their oppressors, took up arms and struck at the changeling menace, full of contempt for them. The changelings swiftly found themselves surrounded on all sides by enemies, and it quickly became clear that they were fighting a losing battle. The Equestrian armies advanced swiftly through the city, and, before long, Chrysalis' palace was stormed by the attackers, its inhabitants being massacred, at which point fanatical retribution-seekers (from the ranks of both the revolting slaves and the Temple's holy warriors) started destroying every last trace of the changeling regalia, starting with the throne of Chrysalis. The magical black throne was shattered, and the changelings' anti-magic shield evaporated; what followed after that was nothing less than a total and utter bloodbath. Finally able to utilize his powers against the abominations, the All-Maker unleashed his full fury against the enemy; he cast a magic spell across all of Manehattan, disabling the shapeshifting powers of the changelings, and he began unleashing a series of terrifyingly devastating magical attacks against them.

Ponykind had suffered innumerable atrocities at the hooves of the changeling race; hundreds of thousands of ponies had been killed, and millions more had suffered from the vile institution of slavery. Death, oppression, and unfathomable cruelty had all been perpetrated in immense volumes against the innocent; the changeling race was responsible for some of the most heinous crimes the world had ever seen. Ponies didn't just want to punish Chrysalis; they were out for blood. The changeling race had defiled Equestria, and it was time for retribution. Changelings were indiscriminately butchered in droves all across Manehattan, with thousands of ponies, especially the former-slaves (who had developed a special kind of hatred against changelings, after what they had been subjected to), joining the All-Maker in inflicting vengeance upon the abominations. The changelings were utterly massacred; over a hundred thousand of them were slaughtered in the single largest act of genocide in recorded history. Chrysalis fled the city, alongside what little remained of her decimated army, finding temporary refuge in the Griffin Kingdom before returning to her hidden hive. Tens of thousands of changeling civilians attempted to flee northwards to the Crystal Empire, to escape the fury of the retribution-seekers; thousands died in the process, with the All-Maker raining fire from the sky upon them, killing a great many of the fleeing refugees. It wasn't just the changeling people who were targeted, though; iconoclastic fury swept through the ranks of the victorious and vengeful ponies, who demolished countless buildings the changelings had erected, destroying every trace of changeling architecture they could find, purging Manehattan of changeling influence very thoroughly.

Though a great many pony soldiers died in the process, the Battle of Manehattan proved to be a major victory for Equestria, the final setback for the invading forces. The war had cost the lives of innumerable ponies, and its political ramifications left Equestria as a polarized and sharply divided realm, but there could be no debate; ponykind had won a glorious victory against their enemy, safeguarding their land against the evil menace which sought to enslave their race. On that day, in that city, where vast numbers of changelings lay dead with triumphant ponies desecrating their mangled bodies, ponykind had proven that it would not take a single step back; if anyone perpetrated violence against Equestria, its denizens were willing and able to respond with violence in equal or greater measure. Equestria was not afraid of violence; they had proven that, should anyone attack their country, they would fight with unyielding ferocity to drive the invaders from their soil no matter the cost.

The Changeling Empire was completely shattered from the Battle of Manehattan, and Chrysalis's power was forever broken. Her army had been almost totally wiped out during the war, and her subjects had been butchered in droves, leaving her hive as a broken, depopulated husk of what it once was. Chrysalis herself barely escaped the fury of Equestria; many other changeling nobles had no such luck, being indiscriminately killed during the massacre. Though she would live on, the prospects of her ever being able to fulfill her ambitions of conquering Equestria were dimmer than ever; her empire was in total shambles, and her prestige among her fellow changeling royals fell to an all-time low after her miserable failures in the war. She had become known as a failure of a monarch, and, thanks largely to the All-Maker and his utterly merciless acts of genocide against the changeling race, almost no other hives would be willing to join her in the future; she was incompetent, and other rulers wouldn't risk having their subjects be exterminated at the hooves of raving hordes of anti-changeling fanatics for her sake.

The Temple of Vision became utterly vilified by the changeling race, and the great massacre of Manehattan was extremely virulently condemned by the liberal elites of Equestria and by the populations of the more tolerant cities. Elsewhere in Equestria, especially in the cities that had suffered under changeling occupation, the soldiers of the Temple were hailed as heroes for having inflicted a killing blow to the Changeling Empire and successfully exacting vengeance upon the abominations which had wrought so much devastation upon ponykind. Equestria became more polarized than ever before, regarding the changeling issue; whereas Celestia and the other elites were determined to force Equestrian society to accept changelings, the general population experienced a surge of anti-changeling fervor. Vehement hatred of the changeling race flourished along the frontier and in all the cities where the changelings had perpetrated mass-murder and slavery, which would lead to surges of separatist sentiment when the independence referendums started.

Celestia's government was more deeply unpopular than ever before, among almost every demographic. The Temple of Vision and other anti-changeling groups despised her for having tried to force the failed policy of changeling-integration upon Equestria, and for her repeated failures in protecting Equestria from the changeling menace. Liberals and reformers, alongside many changelings, held her in contempt for having surrendered to the rebellion and allowing wanton acts of genocide to be perpetrated against the changeling community. As a consequence, the Celestial regime completely crumbled once the independence referendums took place; city after city broke away from the principality, and Equestria fragmented into multiple independent states. The once-idolized Princesses, formerly symbols of Equestrian unity and continuity, became symbols of incompetence, broken promises, and failed ideologies, an obstacle to progress in the eyes of both pro and anti-changeling elements of society. The political elites of Equestria, who had a vested interest in preserving the central government, were among the only ponies which remained supportive of the continued reign of Celestia; though Celestia would be able to keep her crown, and convince a hoof-full of districts to vote against independence, her influence, power, and popular support were at an all-time low.

Cherry Ranger's influence in Parliament became greatly diminished, and her reputation nosedived. Thunderstorm was only able to get a reprimand from Parliament for her mocking of Princess Twilight and a demotion to the Agriculture Committee, but her grudge against unicorns became more apparent when she did not invite Princess Twilight to her 70th birthday party, despite Twilight recommending Pinkie Pie to arrange it and offering to pay for some of the expenses. Pinkie Pie at first agreed to help Cherry, but when she learned that Cherry would not invite Twilight, she canceled the deal in a rare retraction of a Pinkie Promise (by realizing that she forgot to add the hoof motions). As her party was sparsely attended and not particularly fun (even for an old mare), her wrong finally hit her, and she sought Princess Twilight's forgiveness.

Twilight accepted her apology and their relationship warmed. But the damage was already done. Because of Cherry Ranger's affront to unicorns alienated a large portion of the Equestrian populace, especially critical support from Rose and Blue Party moderates, her outspoken criticism of the Temple at a time when their support was needed, and Agrarian's own turn on her, led by Thunderstorm (she had effectively ran as an independent), she lost her first at-large election, ending a thirty-three year career in Parliament. She would retreat to the family farm in Dodge Junction, and later to Whinnyapolis as Temple support in Dodge Junction was too much for her to bear, changing her name to Cherry Gardener and starting her own cherry farm.

Trilby would too face backlash, this time in his own 6th District of Manehattan. Support for his Manehattan Resistance, already lower than expectations, had basically been destroyed after the Wednesday meeting (not to mention that indeed the messenger was captured and executed by Empire forces and the brochures burned). He still maintained his Whip position with the Rose Party and was still respected as the changeling race's official voice in Parliament. He was one of the few deputies to vote against Cherry's reprimand and continued to support her in her efforts. He was also one of the most strident denouncers of the Manehattan Massacre, which did not bode well for even his supporters. He would lose the next election very narrowly. He would stay in Manehattan, however, risking and surviving many attacks on his life, at least until Manehattan declared its independence from Equestria. He would move to Canterlot, still hoping that his idea of Manehattan would come to blossom again.

Princess Twilight would campaign heavily against many districts' independence, and especially Ponyville's, and was even able to delay the Ponyville vote through the duration of a legal challenge to the Temple's claim to the Crystal Tree Castle (Silver Shield advised her not to challenge their claim to Ponyville itself), over an oversight that was lost in the Peace of Canterlot's Sovereignty Doctrine controversy--whether Equestria could still recover property seized by the Temple. The Supreme Court, in an 8-6 vote (Windstriker recusing herself for undisclosed reasons), ruled that the only legal protections for the Temple that applied for acts prior to the ratification of the Peace of Canterlot went to their crimes "against changelings, changeling sympathizers, and treason," and did not cover theft, trespassing, or conversion of property (and in fact pointed to evidence that it was understood by both Equestria and the Temple that the Temple would return control of the western military bases and the weapons seized from the Guard). It awarded Twilight--and Equestria--the Crystal Tree Castle back.

Members of the Temple were outraged at the Court's decision in Princess Twilight Sparkle v. The Temple of Vision, fearing that they would be forced to return changeling property. But Sapphire Quill, embarrassed at her oversight in negotiating the Peace of Canterlot, declined to pursue a second hearing. Instead, she negotiated a second treaty, this time also as the head of the newly independent United Lands of the Dessert Valley (ULDV), the Salt Lick Supplemental Accords, that would formally transfer the Dessert Valley bases to the ULDV, pay Equestria 100 million bits in both consideration of those bases and for damages in pre-independence government property seizures and trespass, and an explicit promise from Equestria not to prosecute the Temple or its members for property damage to changelings or changeling sympathizers.

The Temple of Vision was filled with fury by Sapphire Quill's decision to give many millions of bits to the government which they had lost many lives attempting to overthrow, considering it to be an act of high treason, and refused to recognize the legitimacy of the treaty or pay a single penny to the Celestial government. Visionary made an official edict declaring her a traitor to the Temple and decreeing her to be a changeling sympathizer, stripping her entirely of her position within the Temple, and even her fellow city council members would strip her of her mayorship (saying that she "set a good precedent with Waterforge"). Even Brief Wit, anticipating that the Temple would soon execute Sapphire, refused to honor his promise to her, and she resigned from the firm. In a deep flurry of emotions she took the same poison that she used to kill her husband. However, that night Princess Luna came into her dreams, telling her that she needed to face her guilt over Tinkering's murder honestly (having learned about it through her supervision of the Domestic Bureau's relocation program) and that death would not solve it. Sapphire woke up the next morning to take the antidote to that poison and a train to the Crystal Empire, where she would seek out Peacekeeper to make amends.

The Valley's new government, with the blessing and support of Temple authorities, immediately canceled the new treaty Sapphire Quill negotiated with Celestial authorities (along with the payments she planned to Celestia's government). This would lead to a renewed series of conflicts, reigniting the flames of war for a brief time, with a series of large skirmishes being fought as soldiers from the Royal Guard attempted to forcibly seize control of military bases and weapons caches in the region. After several weeks of fighting, the ULDV's forces, combined with the Temple's militia forces, routed the Royal Guard from the Dessert Valley, securing their hold over the area. Following the victory, the Temple mounted multiple attacks on Celestial forces in Ponyville and San Flankcisco; both the Temple and the Celestial regime prepared to entirely repudiate the Peace of Canterlot and resume full-scale war, but, after public backlash against the prospect of further prolonged war and destruction, the two sides reluctantly agreed to further peace talks. The Celestial government agreed to abandon its claim to the military bases and resources within Temple-controlled territory, and would take no further legal action against the ToV or its members, and the Temple agreed to abandon its claim to Twilight's Castle. Despite the fighting being brief and limited in scale, it brought a swift end to any thoughts of reconciliation between the two powers, and would help shape an extremely aggressive anti-Celestial foreign policy by the frontier governments. Hostilities between the two forces would remain rampant for many years to come, despite the treaties they had signed, and the borders between Celestial controlled territory and Temple controlled territory would remain constantly militarized; hundreds of skirmishes and small battles would take place over the next decade, and they would remain in a perpetual state of animosity and conflict.

The Dessert Valley, Appaloosa, and Dodge Junction, the heartlands of the Temple, were among the most unanimous districts to declare independence from the Celestial regime. Unified through their mutual religious zeal, and instilled with further anti-Celestial militancy as a result of the recent conflicts following the end of the Changeling-Pony War, the ponies of the frontier, alongside their buffalo comrades, created a unified kingdom in opposition to Celestial authority, establishing an elective absolute monarchy; they would have a hero of the people rule with absolute authority from the people, with no democratic process to hold back progress. At first, the Prophet Visionary (who had become revered by anti-changeling elements throughout Equestria as Saint Visionary the Changeling-Slayer for his heroic involvement in the Battle of Manehattan; even among the irreligious, he had became a famous and beloved symbol of resistance against the once seemingly insurmountable and omnipresent changeling menace) was the most popular choice for a ruler to lead the frontier kingdom, with a large majority of the population voting to crown him, but Visionary rejected the offer, insisting that he was simply a humble servant of the All-Maker and was not worthy of the honor. After some further deliberation, the denizens of the frontier chose to elect the All-Maker himself to lead their nation, an honor which he accepted. He became the God-King of the frontier kingdom (which he had named the Kingdom of Lethe), quickly leading it to a golden era.

The Kingdom of Lethe was a... rather strange country, to say the least, blurring the lines between secular monarchy and divine rule. The All-Maker (who had readopted his old name for secular matters, adopting the title His Heavenly Majesty, God-King Letum of Lethe, Shield of Righteousness and Sword of Justice) was a living relic of a long-gone era of ancient history; an era which he attempted to revive in his new kingdom. Everything about the new realm, from its laws to its cultural values to its architecture was completely new to ponykind, with the frontier region starting to take on a very unique cultural identity separate from normal pony culture. The ruins of Salt-Lick City, a city which had taken a great deal of damage during the civil war, were rebuilt using ancient pre-changeling architectural styles, giving the metropolis an appearance very much so reminiscent of the scattered ruins throughout the Forbidden Jungle. Dress codes, literature, diets, entertainment, and other customs from the pre-changeling era made a similar revival under the All-Maker's watch, though his legal system was perhaps the most intriguing part of the kingdom.

The All-Maker was a hard-ruler, to say the least; under his legal system, almost all crimes were punishable by slow and painful deaths, with truly minor crimes like petty theft being punishable by public torture followed by permanent exile from the Kingdom. Yet, at the same time, he was extremely lenient in what was considered to be a crime; the KoL outlawed very few things, with the All-Maker having very little involvement in his subjects' personal lives, creating almost no regulations (relative to what the Celestial regime had established, anyway). Citizens were allowed to do almost literally anything they wanted, outside of theft, murder (though honorable duels to the death were legal, and vigilante murders of known criminals were legal), rape, and slavery, among a few other things; as long as you weren't a changeling, an alicorn-worshiper, or a Peacekeeper, or sympathetic to any of those three demographics, you could do just about whatever you wanted.

The All-Maker was the arch-nemesis of the changeling community, which he declared hostibus suis imperpetuum, enemies in perpetuity, and actively perpetrated genocide against them at every possible opportunity alongside everyone sympathetic towards them (including the Peacekeepers, who were active supporters of changeling-integration, and alicorn-worshipers, who venerated Celestia, a known changeling-sympathizer). Needless to say, he wasn't exactly on good terms with Celestia; Lethe and the Principality were in a constant state of near-war. Despite the peace which existed on paper, skirmishes would break out between the All-Maker's forces and Celestial forces on a regular basis, started by both sides; as such, considering the overwhelmingly hostile relations shared between the two nations, citizens of the Principality passing through the area were frequent targets of violence, and citizens of Lethe who demonstrated support for Celestia were given automatic death sentences. For everyone else, however, the Kingdom of Lethe was a paradise, where anybody could do anything; just about everything that didn't physically harm another civilized creature, from same-sex marriage to narcotics usage, was freely allowed. The region quickly attracted numerous entrepreneurs and investors, with hundreds of new businesses being opened over the next few years; the near-total lack of laws and regulations, in addition to low taxes, made the frontier a very attractive location for ponies to start business enterprises and for rich ponies looking for a tax haven. Members of the homo and bisexual community, also, flocked to the frontier, where they found a great deal of acceptance (thanks largely to the efforts of the All-Maker and the Temple of Vision, which actively taught that homosexuality was a normal part of society and should not be condemned). It was a strange country, unlike anything ponykind had ever seen, yet it managed to be successful; the influx of wealthy investors helped create a strong economy, and the exceedingly harsh punishments (alongside mass-monitoring of society undertaken by the state Inquisition force, led by the apostle Deep Insight) kept order in the streets.

Meanwhile, the Ponyville independence referendum failed by a slim margin, to the surprise of many observers. In fact, because Salt Lick City became a more prominent center of Temple activity, many members moved there, and Temple influence diminished in Ponyville, giving the yes vote less clout than predicted. Still, there remained a sizable number that believed that Princess Celestia, Princess Twilight, and Parliament should have done more to combat the Temple.

Eventually the Co-Principality whittled down to an area encompassing Canterlot, Ponyville, Whinnyapolis, Buckmark, Lincolt, and some smaller towns in between, plus an exclave at San Flankcisco. Even there the status quo did not stay put; the remaining lawmakers from these cities enacted Equestria's first major constitutional change—almost rewriting the whole Constitution--in hundreds of years, giving the cities their own sovereign basis, breaking the unitary model that had governed Equestria for a thousand years. (In fact this had already been in the works since Parliament ratified the Peace of Canterlot to encourage more districts to stay in.) Parliament would handle defense, foreign affairs, inter-municipal and international commerce, raise a few specified taxes, and otherwise would "coordinate municipal affairs as necessary for any serious conflicts that may arise between them.” The district assemblies would deal with education, weather control, healthcare, welfare, criminal law, regulation of intoxicating liquors--basically anything else not explicitly granted to Parliament. As a result, for example, while Equestria itself did not recognize same-sex marriage, every district soon would, and Equestria was obliged to honor that choice. Princesses Celestia and Luna remained as its heads of state, but their Royal Assents became more symbolic than meaningful, removing the “unchanged bill” requirement for overcoming the Princesses’ veto.

Princess Celestia felt guilty about the concessions she made to the Temple of Vision and the atrocities committed under it, and insisted on protecting the rights of all species—even changelings. Though she had no formal power in the amendment process, she proposed an amendment that would “maintain the equal protection of personal, civil, political, and social rights of this Constitution as to all species" at the national level, even granting full legalization of same-sex and polygamous marriage as well as protection for the LGBT Community to accommodate Changeling Culture. While Princess Twilight and some deputies, such as Trilby and Blind Justice, supported the measure, many other elites and deputies found Celestia’s efforts to “persuade” Parliament (among them threatening to remove dissenting Senators, propose amendments to expand the Senate, or outright dissolving Parliament) to violate separation of powers on one hoof and dangerous to the compromise necessary to salvage as much as Equestria as possible on the other. Lincolt and Detrot, which had expected to be able to allow public accommodations to discriminate against changelings under the new constitutional amendments, were especially turned off by Celestia’s maneuvers and left the union. (Lincolt, after starting its own independent state, would return in a couple of years due to economic difficulties.) Many were especially perplexed by Celestia’s move for polygamous marriage, believing it to be too alien to Equestrian culture and to potentially exacerbate martial property disputes. Even Princess Twilight became skeptical of the legitimacy of Celestia’s asserted powers, which became fuel for opponents to call for Celestia’s impeachment. Celestia soon backed down from her efforts, agreeing to respect Parliament’s choice. After an impassioned speech by Trilby—the final one of his term—Parliament narrowly agreed to Celestia’s equal protection amendment, realizing that allowing cities to set their own civil rights rules could mean disparate treatment among the pony races as well. But he could not persuade Parliament to adopt the marriage amendments, so marriage remained an issue for the cities. While all cities would eventually recognize same-sex marriage, only Whinnyapolis, with its Crystal Empire ties, would fully legalize polygamous marriage.

Princess Twilight remained the chief mediator for the people of the remaining districts of Equestria, and fortunately saw a trimming of subject matter jurisdiction so she did not have to hear most contract or tort claims (she still heard a few fiduciary duty cases involving partnerships, as well as those with breaches of confidentiality every now and then), allowing her more time to deal with "pure" friendship problems and spend time with her children. (For that matter, Potter Black, who remained a deputy despite the great political shake-ups, officially re-adopted Pitch Black as his son when Pitch turned thirteen. As a result, Potter spent more time with Pitch, taking him camping and fishing and teaching him about a past that seemed so remote today, when all Equestria could still feel united under the Sun Princess despite their great differences.)

Of the cities, San Flankcisco and Ponyville seemed to be in the most precarious positions. As Equestria's only remaining outlet to the sea, San Flankcisco was critically important, and soon became the commerce hub that Manehattan once filled, but its fruits to mainland Equestria always had to pass through Lethe in some way, risking robberies by some of the more fanatical members of the Temple, especially if a changeling happened to be the driver (and it took one unfortunate incident for Equestria to pass a law forbidding changeling drivers in commerce from passing through Lethe). Ponyville, meanwhile, had a related problem: the Everfree Forest and the old Ponyville temple were still considered holy sites by the Temple, and pilgrims were a frequent sight. These pilgrims would evangelize the city, stirring up revivals of secessionist fervor. In fact Ponyville got permission from Parliament to hold another independence referendum, yet it too would fail. Twilight and the local Ponyville leaders were committed to keep the Temple at bay, and while attacks against changelings were more frequent there than other places in Equestria, nothing even approached the level of the Great Ponyville Massacre or the Ponyville Rebellion.

Vanhoofer and Tall Tale (and the districts immediately surrounding it), as some of the few Equestrian cities to not see a Temple uprising or attack, formed the Republic of Cataract, whose policies towards changelings were as progressive as the Crystal Empire's. In fact they counted the Crystal Empire as an even greater ally than Equestria, relying on the Crystal Empire for military protection and (at first) much of its trade. However, it did not integrate with the Crystal Empire because of its republican streak, objecting to even Princess Cadence's enlightened rule. Smoky Topaz became its first President, leading the nation to a high-tech economy and widespread workplace democracy. Despite having a more strictly regulated and interventionist economy than Lethe, it attracted quite a few rich investors of its own by emphasizing innovation, high finance, and sheer productivity, eventually surpassing the other newly-independent nations in GDP per capita.

Los Pegasus, and a few districts in the San Palomino Desert, formed Sierra Palomino, a state that initially declined to allow protections for changelings because of its (more moderate) Temple political elite but later granted it by referendum (and would also lose power in the general election that year). It boosted its already robust tourism industry by allowing casino gambling, though with it came a higher rate of crime than other newly-independent districts. It also instituted compulsory military service for youths just reaching the age of majority, forming a large pool of soldiers for a government whose foreign policy zig-zagged between support for the Kingdom of Lethe and the Co-Principality of Equestria (and at times they supported both or neither).

Cloudsdale and its suburbs formed the City-State of Nubes-Synnefo. It resisted changeling integration, but once it became independent it failed to actually go quite as far as the Kingdom of Lethe: it forbade changelings from coming within its borders, but it did not sanction killing them. A little surprisingly, it even became vehemently anti-Griffin Kingdom and even a little anti-griffin, not forgetting King Philip's side looting. As a district of Equestria, it boasted the largest population of griffins in Equestria outside Manehattan; as independent it drove many out and discriminated against those who stayed. Since it was no longer associated with the Equestrian government, the old base of its economy was at a near vacuum, and it struggled to diversify beyond its own weather-making, the military, and occasional deals with Equestria and Lethe to provide rain and snow to border towns. Of the new countries, Nubes-Synnefo would be the least self-sufficient.

Among the cities of the eastern coast, Baltimare and Wingscotting, while they did fall to the Changeling Empire, did not suffer under it quite as long--or even as hard--as Manehattan, Hollow Shades, and Fillydelphia. As a result their new nation, the United Duchies of Neighland, were more moderate in their changeling policies than their sister cities up north, if a little paradoxical. While it discriminated against changelings by default and practically considered nearly every killing of a changeling by a pony to be one in self-defense, it did allow changelings to apply for full citizenship status upon grueling examinations and "re-education," which in reality stripped them of their love-sharing and shape-shifting abilities, forcing them to eat tangible food like every other pony and always stay in their default form. (Liberal critics would especially criticize this practice and Temple orthodoxy lambasted it for even contemplating equal rights for changelings, but its defenders argued that this was actually a more fitting punishment for their crimes than just killing them. In fact what prompted this policy was the nation’s original plan to make changelings a slave caste on a strict application of “an eye for an eye,” which only lasted a week before seeing widespread slave revolts.) Besides Baltimare and Wingscotting, Neighland included seven other smaller towns and numerous villages. Each city and town were headed by a duke or duchess, selected from among a pool of its old Equestrian political, business, and social elite, forming a nobility almost entirely unicorn (with Wingscotting providing a pegasus) like in Equestria's early years. It would compete with Lethe as a tax haven, and even a few Equestrian companies would incorporate there.

Historically, Manehattan and Fillydelphia had been more tolerant of changelings than other Equestrian cities, but the war completely reversed that policy. With Hollow Shades, New Londam, and their suburbs (and later Detrot), they would form the Northeast Confederation, who, like Lethe, would strip changelings and changeling sympathizers of all their rights (with the exception of Detrot, which did protect a few). It had no central government except for an emergency council, composed of city leaders, convened in cases of collective self-defense (and each city had its own militia) or other national emergencies. A reluctance for the cities not to form stronger ties, though one that cemented its shared identity, was driven in part by an epidemic that exploded among the Manehattan population shortly after its independence referendum, which spread to Fillydelphia and Hollow Shades before the leaders in the cities enacted strict quarantines to both protect themselves and other now-foreign cities. (Even as the Equestria whittled down, Princess Celestia and Parliament moved quickly to help the Northeast Confederation contain the disease, as did Neighland, successfully preventing whatever disease came into their own countries from getting out of hoof.) Already devastated by war and oppression, the Northeast Confederation would lose at least a quarter of its population through the epidemic. (Because changelings turned out to be resistant to the disease, many labeled it “Chrysalis’ Revenge.”) Even when the vaccine was found and the number infected dwindled, Northeasters developed a fear of going outside their cities, and ended up being the most isolationist of the new nations, at least for the first ten years. Slowly the cities began to pick up the pieces, and within ten years each city’s economy was well-diversified and self-sufficient (evoking a little jealousy from Nubes-Synnefo), if not quite as rich as they once were.

Of course, Equestria wasn't the only nation to undergo major political upheaval. Across the sea, in the Griffin Kingdom, a massive change in the political climate had taken place, one which would rather seriously jeopardize Equestrian interests in the region. With the support of both Chrysalis and the local griffin aristocracy, Lord Philip Blackwing made a second bid for the Throne of Griffonstone, the Griffin Kingdom erupting into civil war over the crown for the second time. Equestria, having been occupied with their own civil war and the changeling invasion, was able to offer almost nothing to the rapidly crumbling Groverian dynasty; King Guto's forces were swiftly outmatched by the Blackwing rebels, who had significant resources at their disposal from their numerous aristocratic sponsors. Having both superior leadership and a substantially better funded army, the Blackwings decisively defeated the Groverian loyalists, winning victory after victory, striking a killing blow against the ancient royal family.

In a matter of months, the Griffin Kingdom was under the complete control of the Blackwing Clan, their opposition being shattered after a number of major defeats; Guto himself was slain by Lord Philip in battle during the war. The surviving members of the Groverian dynasty fled westwards, into Equestria, along with the talon-full of noble families which had supported Guto during the war, where they formed a government-in-exile. Back home in the Griffin Kingdom, though, His Royal Majesty, Lord Philip Blackwing, King of the Griffins, had secured total dominance, consolidating his hold on the throne and solidifying himself as the indisputable king. With the support of almost all the griffin nobility, and the respect of a great deal of the peasantry, King Philip set about bringing his vision for the Griffin Kingdom to life. A series of major reactionary political reforms were created in the kingdom, greatly empowering the aristocratic elite and establishing an official feudal hierarchy revolving around birthright and noble privilege, with the Blackwing monarchy revolving around the concept that the highborn nobility rule through divine right.

Unfortunately for King Philip's ally, Chrysalis, his victory, while overwhelmingly decisive, came too late for the kingdom to intervene in the Pony-Changeling war. The last of Guto's forces were defeated a week after the changeling defeat in the Battle of Manehattan, just after the fall of the empire. Philip was a griffin of his word, and he had an honor-bound obligation to repay Chrysalis for the assistance she provided his army, but not even the fearless warrior-king was going to attack Equestria all on his own, especially after the triumphant ponies had made a bloodthirsty example of the defeated changelings. The terms of his agreement with the changelings were renegotiated; rather than invading Equestria, as he had previously agreed to do, Philip would indefinitely owe one favor to Chrysalis, redeemable at any time for anything he was capable of providing (short of giving up the kingdom he had worked his entire life to claim, that is).

While changelings in most of the Changeling-Friendly Nations emerged from the shadows, others remained hidden in plain sight. Meanwhile, the Fourth Pony-Changeling War have taken its toll on Changeling Communities throughout Equestria. The Sand and Snow Changelings became increasingly isolationist and xenophobic, fortifying their mounds and mountain homes of their tribes with deadly traps and weaponry to the point of near savagery. The Equestrian Changeling communities, on the other hand, became closer and more united than ever before as they took in many of Chrysalis's surviving followers, while the Queen herself gone into hiding at her secret hive in the South Eastern Swamps. An agreement and alliance was forged between them: a unity of colonies and hives alike which became known as the Confederacy of Changeling Hives and Colonies, a vast network of changeling settlements working together for the betterment of changeling kind while keeping to themselves.

Within this Confederacy, a great peace treaty was made declaring none to ever declare war against one another and instead commit to trade and protection for one another, all while remaining completely sovereign to themselves in law and leadership. A mere council, making up of Confederacy leaders, was made to keep the peace within this alliance, taking place in an area of pure secrecy in one of Equestria's most tallest mountains. The attitude towards ponykind varied among colonies and hives. However, an agreement was made to never again declare war against them. Many, including those who once belonged to Chrysalis's Empire and especially those among the Kingdom of Lethe, declared pure isolation from all ponykind to the point of sharing Sand and Ice changeling-like xenophobia. Others, like Razor Wing's Colony, would declare themselves in open trade with Ponykind, especially those most friendly to the Changeling race.

The world had been changed; all the major powers, Equestria, the Griffin Kingdom, and the Changeling Empire, had experienced drastic changes. An era of newfound nationalism, separatism, and political polarization had swept Equus, and its effects could be felt everywhere, shaking up the political landscape, and even the most concrete of ancient regimes would crumble under its weight. The world was a delicate house of cards, and, through opportunism and luck, a few interested parties had been able to collapse it from within, creating a divided world in flames; a world up for grabs, where new players could enter the scene of global geo-politics, and anyone could make a rise to power from the ashes of the once-unified old order. Nations would rise and fall, leaders would come and go, and life would go on in the shattered world that ponies, griffins, changelings, and buffalo alike now lived in.
Last edited by Frenequesta on Mon May 22, 2017 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I’m mostly here for... something to do, I suppose.

Previous

Return to Portal to the Multiverse