NATION

PASSWORD

Of Zombies and Men (OOC/Closed)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kyraina
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 12, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Kyraina » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:27 am

Ularn wrote:So, funny story but on boring days at work I've actually had quite a few conversations with colleagues about what we'd do if zombies ever attacked the site we're working on. General consensus is Step 1 would have to be board up the windows and demolish the lower staircases. Other things we've established are:
  • Sorry videogames; pinch bars* make a shitty melee weapon
  • Same goes for sledgehammers
  • A framing hammer is the god of all zombie apocalypse weapons
  • Even if you bypass the safety features that should stop a nailgun firing unless it's against a wall, nails have really terrible ballistics. Between spin and bullet drop, none of us could get a nail to stick in a target past about ten metres
  • A crowbar* might make a decent spear if you're strong enough and have to defend a choke point, but we'd rather not test that theory
  • Construction sites are actually pretty handy places to be when the apocalypse hits
  • Demolition sites are actually pretty terrible places to be when the apocalypse hits
  • Sparkies are only useful if they can build an electric windmill
  • Health & Safety should start requiring all site offices to keep a supply of seed packets, just in case we have to grow our own food. Make a note for the next Union meeting

*The thing Americans call a crowbar is actually different to what the rest of the world calls it. Elsewhere the English speaking world call's that a pinch-bar, jemmy, prybar or a bunch of other names. For non-Americans, a crowbar is pretty much always a straight metal rod about two metres long that you use for breaking up ground or as a lever when a pinch bar's not long enough to do the job.

I always called the flatbarss a prybar and the other 3 crowbars.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is suppose to go here?

Ularn
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:35 am

Kyraina wrote:
Ularn wrote:So, funny story but on boring days at work I've actually had quite a few conversations with colleagues about what we'd do if zombies ever attacked the site we're working on. General consensus is Step 1 would have to be board up the windows and demolish the lower staircases. Other things we've established are:
  • Sorry videogames; pinch bars* make a shitty melee weapon
  • Same goes for sledgehammers
  • A framing hammer is the god of all zombie apocalypse weapons
  • Even if you bypass the safety features that should stop a nailgun firing unless it's against a wall, nails have really terrible ballistics. Between spin and bullet drop, none of us could get a nail to stick in a target past about ten metres
  • A crowbar* might make a decent spear if you're strong enough and have to defend a choke point, but we'd rather not test that theory
  • Construction sites are actually pretty handy places to be when the apocalypse hits
  • Demolition sites are actually pretty terrible places to be when the apocalypse hits
  • Sparkies are only useful if they can build an electric windmill
  • Health & Safety should start requiring all site offices to keep a supply of seed packets, just in case we have to grow our own food. Make a note for the next Union meeting

*The thing Americans call a crowbar is actually different to what the rest of the world calls it. Elsewhere the English speaking world call's that a pinch-bar, jemmy, prybar or a bunch of other names. For non-Americans, a crowbar is pretty much always a straight metal rod about two metres long that you use for breaking up ground or as a lever when a pinch bar's not long enough to do the job.

I always called the flatbarss a prybar and the other 3 crowbars.

For me middle one would be a crowbar if it was three times longer; something like this:
The others I would all just call pinch or prybars pretty much interchangeably, although the little one might just be small enough to count as a nail bar or a dog bar but again, that's generally a different thing. Although there probably is some convention for naming them differently if they're flat, if I asked someone to "Pass me the prybar" and they handed me any of those then I'd be happy. If I asked for a crowbar and got anything other than something like the picture above though, I'd send them back to the toolshed.
Last edited by Ularn on Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
ULARN INTERSTELLAR FEDERATION
Many Worlds; One Ring!
FACTBOOK | Q&A | EMBASSIES & FOREIGN OFFICE | #NSFT | #NSLegion | TRIPLICATE DEFENCE INDUSTRIES
P2tM
Broken World: Beastmasters | Of Zombies and Men
Jesus was a carpenter, so really I'm the one doing God's work - all anyone else cares about is what he got up to on the dole!

Kyraina
Powerbroker

Postby Kyraina » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:44 am

Ularn wrote:
Kyraina wrote:I always called the flatbarss a prybar and the other 3 crowbars.

(Image)

For me middle one would be a crowbar if it was three times longer; something like this:
The others I would all just call pinch or prybars pretty much interchangeably, although the little one might just be small enough to count as a nail bar or a dog bar but again, that's generally a different thing. Although there probably is some convention for naming them differently if they're flat, if I asked someone to "Pass me the prybar" and they handed me any of those then I'd be happy. If I asked for a crowbar and got anything other than something like the picture above though, I'd send them back to the toolshed.

Teats what my grandfather called them and so I picked it up and only reason I still call them a crowbar is because the claw part looks vaguely like a crow's foot lol. Different areas called items different things. Like in Texas all soda is Coke no matter the brand, so you have Coke Coke, Pepsi Coke, Dr. Pepper coke, etc. Its kinda of annoying and funny.

What you call a crowbar I call a pinch bar lol
Last edited by Kyraina on Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terintania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Terintania » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:16 am

I shall work on a post now. Sorry for slacking
Times are looking grim these days~

Altito Asmoro
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Altito Asmoro » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:24 am

Will into reply soon.
Stormwrath wrote:
Altito Asmoro wrote:You people can call me...AA. Or Alt.
Or Tito.

I'm calling you "non-aligned comrade."

A proud Nationalist
Winner for Best War RP of 2016

Ularn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:07 pm

Altito Asmoro wrote:Will into reply soon.

Cool! :)
Many Worlds; One Ring!
FACTBOOK | Q&A | EMBASSIES & FOREIGN OFFICE | #NSFT | #NSLegion | TRIPLICATE DEFENCE INDUSTRIES
P2tM
Jesus was a carpenter, so really I'm the one doing God's work - all anyone else cares about is what he got up to on the dole!

Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:12 pm

I'll also post soon.
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:29 am

OH, POSTING.

Sorry, been busy the last few days so it went totally over my head.
My Last.FM and RYM

Ularn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:46 pm

You're okay :hug:

Altito, I know we planned for our characters to have an encounter with the zombies in Tacoma but I'm wondering if perhaps in the interests of keeping things movingand getting the party unified quickly (at which point I think this'll become much easier to RP since there'll be more characters for everyone to interact with) we should maybe skip it and hurry towards the ferry terminal. Maybe it can be overrun just as Flak and Sherry are getting in the boat and we can have our encounter then?
Many Worlds; One Ring!
P2tM

Altito Asmoro
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Altito Asmoro » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:55 am

Ularn wrote:You're okay :hug:

Altito, I know we planned for our characters to have an encounter with the zombies in Tacoma but I'm wondering if perhaps in the interests of keeping things movingand getting the party unified quickly (at which point I think this'll become much easier to RP since there'll be more characters for everyone to interact with) we should maybe skip it and hurry towards the ferry terminal. Maybe it can be overrun just as Flak and Sherry are getting in the boat and we can have our encounter then?

Yes, I believe that would be the best, Ularn.

I'm sorry I forgot to mentioned in this RP that I had been absent from the 7th till 11th of July. Somehow I forgot to mentioned in this one even though I remembered the others, including the less-frequent posting one. :(
Stormwrath wrote:
Altito Asmoro wrote:You people can call me...AA. Or Alt.
Or Tito.

I'm calling you "non-aligned comrade."

A proud Nationalist
Winner for Best War RP of 2016

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:23 pm

Ularn wrote:You're okay :hug:

Yeah, you guys can do whatever. Which one were you guys going to go to? Because I thought of doing something similar as that but I wouldn't want to make-wait, the one in the city is probably more likely to have issues like that....And that is where my kid is going.
My Last.FM and RYM

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:43 pm

Er, I think my idea more involved some chaos breaking out than actually being overrun itself. Like, they have some issues, but generally manage it and it may give the people leaving the affect of thinking that things might be going terribly while you're traveling away on a boat...
My Last.FM and RYM

Terintania
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Terintania » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:48 pm

Panslavika wrote:Tag this shit.

:clap: Yay! People!

Deutsch-Sudafrika
Envoy

Founded: Jul 02, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Deutsch-Sudafrika » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:54 pm

Is this still open? I'm going to assume that it's open and put a tag here.
Old Tyrannia wrote:Those filthy Hands. They think they're so fancy with their opposable thumbs and remarkable dexterity. We will destroy them all, and usher in a new age of Foot supremacy.

Ularn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:35 pm

Deutsch-Sudafrika wrote:Is this still open? I'm going to assume that it's open and put a tag here.

Yep, still open! :)
Many Worlds; One Ring!
P2tM

Deutsch-Sudafrika
Envoy

Founded: Jul 02, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Deutsch-Sudafrika » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:47 am

Name: Mackenzie Wright
Appearance: Like this
Personal Items: Clothes in the picture, Canned Food, 2 Bottles of Water
Weapons: Machete
Bio: Born and raised in Seattle, Mackenzie Wright lived peacefully and normally until the infection. Her parents were with her until a couple of days ago when they were ambushed and killed in the woods by infected. Since then, Mackenzie has been wandering, trying desperately to find someone who will help point her towards the safe zone she's heard rumors about.
Old Tyrannia wrote:Those filthy Hands. They think they're so fancy with their opposable thumbs and remarkable dexterity. We will destroy them all, and usher in a new age of Foot supremacy.

Terintania
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Terintania » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:01 am

Deutsch-Sudafrika wrote:Name: Mackenzie Wright
Appearance: Like this
Personal Items: Clothes in the picture, Canned Food, 2 Bottles of Water
Weapons: Machete
Bio: Born and raised in Seattle, Mackenzie Wright lived peacefully and normally until the infection. Her parents were with her until a couple of days ago when they were ambushed and killed in the woods by infected. Since then, Mackenzie has been wandering, trying desperately to find someone who will help point her towards the safe zone she's heard rumors about.

The infections only been going on for like, a few hours.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:57 pm

In my next post, we can move onto progressing things finally :P
My Last.FM and RYM

Ularn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:58 am

Phew! Okay, Flakand Sherry are at the docks. Corrian, I don't know if there'll be some NPCs or something there (I'm imagining lots of refugees and some military-types trying to coordinate everything) who you'll want to interact with them or something. Otherwise I guess once Altito's posted Sherry's catch up (I did just squeeze over an our's worth of activity into one post) we'll be getting on the boat.

Also, I'm definitely glad we're moving ahead with the plot again but I'm just thinking it's a bit of shame we weren't able to spend more time on the journey. I feel like bulldozer guy really deserved a t least a whole post to himself but at the same time I didn't want to spend another two weeks or whatever writing about Tacoma and then another week on the drive up the peninsula when we're trying to get the party together. :)
Many Worlds; One Ring!
P2tM

Eclixia
Envoy

Founded: Dec 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

My App (If it's still open)

Postby Eclixia » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:14 am

Character Application
Name: Jack Taylor
Appearance: Tanned skin, brown hair, brown eyes, glasses (can't see clearly without them). Normal height for his age but slightly skinny. Stronger than average.
Personal Items: The family's hired Nissan Armada, several filled petrol tanks in the back, rucksack loaded with practical tools, water bottles and canned goods.
Weapons: A looted Heckler & Koch MP5 (but is not a good marksman and only has limited ammunition), collapsible baton
Bio: A British tourist to the West Coast of the United States, Jack is the only child of the Taylor family. Currently his mother and father are immune (and so is he) from the infection but both are ill and unable to leave their car. Jack is on a trip to find medicine for them. Usually reckless, Jack can keep his composure when he needs it the most and has a tendency to listen to old 2000s music in the car screaming 'ROADKILL!' every time he flattens a zombie with the huge rented 4x4 they were using on their three day break in Seattle. Ever since the outbreak Jack has matured very quickly for his age and now sees it as life or death. As an immune person invulnerable to the infection, Jack must seek help fast if his parents are to survive.
A hyper-consumerist and hyper-capitalist society with next to no regulations or restrictions for big businesses.

Ularn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:45 am

Eclixia wrote:Character Application
Appearance: Tanned skin, brown hair, brown eyes, glasses (can't see clearly without them). Normal height for his age but slightly skinny. Stronger than average.
Personal Items: The family's hired Nissan Armada, several filled petrol tanks in the back, rucksack loaded with practical tools, water bottles and canned goods.
Weapons: A looted Heckler & Koch MP5 (but is not a good marksman and only has limited ammunition), collapsible baton
Bio: A British tourist to the West Coast of the United States, Jack is the only child of the Taylor family. Currently his mother and father are immune (and so is he) from the infection but both are ill and unable to leave their car. Jack is on a trip to find medicine for them. Usually reckless, Jack can keep his composure when he needs it the most and has a tendency to listen to old 2000s music in the car screaming 'ROADKILL!' every time he flattens a zombie with the huge rented 4x4 they were using on their three day break in Seattle. Ever since the outbreak Jack has matured very quickly for his age and now sees it as life or death. As an immune person invulnerable to the infection, Jack must seek help fast if his parents are to survive.

Definitely still open.

My only (very minor) quibble is the part which mentions him maturing quickly makes it sound like he's been living in the apocalypse for a while. At the moment, we're only around 2-4 hours into the outbreak depending on which group we're talking about.
Last edited by Ularn on Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Many Worlds; One Ring!
P2tM

Terintania
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Terintania » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:56 pm

Eclixia wrote:Character Application

I agree with what Ularn said about the maturing quickly. I mean, it's only been a few hours. Also, you were never accepted. Did you post in the IC?

If you keep in mind how long it's been, you're accepted.

Kyraina
Powerbroker

Postby Kyraina » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:02 pm

Why a Armada? I can think of several better SUVs that would be hell of a lot better. The Armada is a pos

Eclixia
Envoy

Founded: Dec 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Eclixia » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:17 pm

Kyraina wrote:Why a Armada? I can think of several better SUVs that would be hell of a lot better. The Armada is a pos

It's the car model my Dad's company gave us while we were living as expats in Qatar. Considering the traffic around us were rusty Toyotas (and British petrol prices keep British car sizes down) it's the biggest car I know off the top of my head.
A hyper-consumerist and hyper-capitalist society with next to no regulations or restrictions for big businesses.

Kyraina
Powerbroker

Postby Kyraina » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:23 pm

Eclixia wrote:
Kyraina wrote:Why a Armada? I can think of several better SUVs that would be hell of a lot better. The Armada is a pos

It's the car model my Dad's company gave us while we were living as expats in Qatar. Considering the traffic around us were rusty Toyotas (and British petrol prices keep British car sizes down) it's the biggest car I know off the top of my head.

Oh. I'm use to seeing Hummer H1s and the SuV based on the Ford F350 1 Ton, the Ford excursion, both make the Armada look small, plus got the Ford/Hennessy Velocaraptor
Last edited by Kyraina on Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse