NATION

PASSWORD

Lavell, a Fantasy Medieval Kingdom (IC)(Open)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Cresadine
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Cresadine » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:55 pm

Soutona wrote:
Cresadine wrote:
"Good morning to you too Jackary. The mobs are becoming more and more of an issue. I keep pressing the Captain of the Guard to do more about it, but his prisoners keep escaping. I'm glad you could disperse them, we may need to bring in a new force just to keep peace around here," Geoffrey took a sip of his wine.

"That may indeed be necessary, I only have a thousand men under my command. If things get any worse, my men and I may not be enough to keep the peace." he started as he moved over to the seat, taking it in a relaxed posture "Anyway that little kerfuffle up north has been taken care of. The reports were off about their numbers, there were only roughly 700 of them, mostly peasants being led by one Clayton Orsonsbee. You remember him? The fatass who couldn't gamble to save his life and got caught overvaluing his labor contracts? Well now he and his rabble are all dead to the man. Caught them by surprise in a clearing near the main road, didn't lose a single man."

"Oh I remember him. Despicable man.The auditor who found his...um...error in judgement now serves as Chief Auditor for that province. The Metalsmiths had a fun time liquidating all his gold for the Treasury. I'm glad you could crush him with little opposition. Crushing a major uprising like that without taking hit shows the power of the Crown, a good message to send." Geoffrey pulled open one of his drawers and took out the letter he had sent to the Lords of the Realm.

"Now it is my turn to give you some news," he handed the letter to him. "Three of them, all powerful men, refused to entertain my summons. They didn't even deign to send a representative with the records of their spending for that year. I will be meeting with the King later, we must quash this resistance while we still can.

Geoffrey Hyville
Baron Hyville
Lord Steward of Kingshill
Keeper of Records and Laws
Arch-Treasurer
Acting in His Capacity
As Arch-Treasurer

To: All Lords of the Realm

All Lords of the Realm are hereby ordered to report to the Grand Kingshill Treasury within the next two weeks with all applicable records of spending and taxation pertaining to your office and to your vassals. You are to come with a party of no more than ten armed bodyguards and fifteen entourage members. You will be provided lodgings at the Palace of Kingshill.

He forbead þa heortas swylce eac þa baras, swa swiðe he lufode þa headeor swilce he wære heora fæder

Albertae
Senator

Founded: Oct 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Albertae » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:03 pm

United Human Planets wrote:
(Image)
Tyrus Willun, Lord Of The Twin Reaches

Tyrus Willun, and a long column of knights, vassals, generals and dukes rode up a long and twisting road. On either side of him were seemingly unending fields, and as he passed the peasants would look up at the nobles and soldiers as they passed by. In the distance, just over the horizon Tyrus could see the towers Honeybarrow. His new ally, Fredrick Miller was supposed to meet him there. Tyrus felt that the chance of complications was fairly high though. He had been riding for far longer than he meant to. There had been a large mudslide that had covered the road, which had delayed Tyrus for a week, and by the time they had finally made it out of the Twin Reaches, there were rumors everywhere of large scale peasant revolts, and it made Tyrus unsure of weather or not Fredrick would be at his castle. If there was ever a good time to make a move against King Elyas, it would be now. But, he would worry about finding Fredrick when he needed to.

After an hour of riding, Tyrus and his men found themselves at a closed gate. Sir Kinsonton was near the front of the column, and was yelling up to the gaurds on the walls. Tyrus spurred his horse, and rode to the front, with Kinsonton. "What is this, why are we not being allowed in?" He asked.

"Well," said Kinsonton, looking at Tyrus, "That short, fat one says they were not expecting such a large company, and so the are not going to let us in. I explained to the man that we are expected by his lord, but he hasnt given any wiggle room, and is keeping us outside the walls."

Tyrus sat on his horse for a minute, and looked at the wall, before looking up at the guards on top of the wall and saying, "Your lord expects us, sir. If you are not going to let us in of your own free will, then at the very least go to your lord and inform him that a Lord Tyrus Willun is here, due to his summons."

The guards on the wall turned in to themselves, and talked so that Tyrus couldn't hear them. After a minute, he short fat one turned and shouted back down the wall, "We have sent one of our men to inform Lord Miller of your arrival, but you and your men are to remain outside of the walls until further notice."

Tyrus felt annoyed, and tried to stop himself from becoming angry, but in the end couldn't help himself. "Sir," he said up to the gaurd, "I hope you are just stupid, and that is the reason for your keeping me, a rightful guest of your lord, outside of his walls when we were invited. After all, that would be the only acceptable excuse anyways, for such stupidity and insolence from a man who seems to be in charge of the lives of others." Tyrus sat back, and watched the guards face fall. "The only way I can imagine an idiot like you managed to work his way up to your position in life is from sucking on your superiors cocks to gain favors, you milk drinking craven."

Kinsonton looked at Tyrus from underneath his helmet, and Tyrus looked back. "What," he said, "do you think Im wrong?"

Kinsonton paused a second, before saying simply, "No sir, its just that your temper catches me off guard every once and a while."

A guard yells from the wall Lord Tyrus is here! Lord Tyrus is here!
Lord Miller: Bring him in full accomadations I want him to feel as if he is an esteemed guest in my house.
My Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: 2.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 3.33
Pro: Trump
Anti: Hillary

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived. -General George S. Patton
GENERATION 9: Social experiment. When you see this, add one to the generation and copy this into your signature.

Soutona
Envoy

Founded: May 23, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Soutona » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:09 pm

Cresadine wrote:
Soutona wrote:
"That may indeed be necessary, I only have a thousand men under my command. If things get any worse, my men and I may not be enough to keep the peace." he started as he moved over to the seat, taking it in a relaxed posture "Anyway that little kerfuffle up north has been taken care of. The reports were off about their numbers, there were only roughly 700 of them, mostly peasants being led by one Clayton Orsonsbee. You remember him? The fatass who couldn't gamble to save his life and got caught overvaluing his labor contracts? Well now he and his rabble are all dead to the man. Caught them by surprise in a clearing near the main road, didn't lose a single man."

"Oh I remember him. Despicable man.The auditor who found his...um...error in judgement now serves as Chief Auditor for that province. The Metalsmiths had a fun time liquidating all his gold for the Treasury. I'm glad you could crush him with little opposition. Crushing a major uprising like that without taking hit shows the power of the Crown, a good message to send." Geoffrey pulled open one of his drawers and took out the letter he had sent to the Lords of the Realm.

"Now it is my turn to give you some news," he handed the letter to him. "Three of them, all powerful men, refused to entertain my summons. They didn't even deign to send a representative with the records of their spending for that year. I will be meeting with the King later, we must quash this resistance while we still can.

Geoffrey Hyville
Baron Hyville
Arch-Treasurer
Acting in His Capacity
As Arch-Treasurer

All Lords of the Realm are hereby ordered to report to the Grand Kingshill Treasury within the next two weeks with all applicable records of spending and taxation pertaining to your office and to your vassals. You are to come with a party of no more than ten armed bodyguards and fifteen entourage members. You will be provided lodgings at the Palace of Kingshill.

Jackary read over the letter silently in his head, then let out a laugh.

"Really?" he laughed "This is what they put their foot down for? An audit?"

Jack laughed again and finished his cup of wine in one swift gulp.

"So I'm assuming that his majesty is not going to be happy at this defiance." Jack continued "Which mean he'll want to punish them, which means more work for me. But the way he goes about things is a little too 'fire and brimstone' sometimes. How do you want to handle this?"
Last edited by Soutona on Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You begin saving the world by saving one person at a time; all else is grandiose romanticism or politics.” -Charles Bukowski

Amuaplye
Minister

Founded: Dec 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Amuaplye » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:26 pm

Cresadine wrote:
Soutona wrote:

Geoffrey Hyville
Baron Hyville
Arch-Treasurer
Acting in His Capacity
As Arch-Treasurer

A messenger knocked on the door, and he gets the letter, and responds:
My daughter is coming with 500 ducats. Is this all right?
Æþor Bergussøn

"Do you have a plan?" He says to Lord Miller. "I'll let the peasants revolt, then usurp the throne when they kill him."
Last edited by Amuaplye on Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a dude.
Also, call me Amuaplye, not Amuapyle, or Amu.

Electrum on Discord wrote:Please do not ping me a list of body parts.

Albertae
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Albertae » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:37 pm

Council Room
Lord Miller
Lord Æbor
Lord Lord Tyrus

Lord Miller: Ok, I'm suggesting that we start looking at the situation here. I can supply the food, Lord Tyrus you can supply the food and Lord Æbor you can supply the soldiers. I currently have an idea to station ours rebel capital in the lake that connects to the ocean near here. This will give us a quick escape. I currently have 300 armed, trained, and battle-hardened men. I can send all of these men to protect our rebel capital which we will call a trade capital between our three realms. If you all could give me an idea of how many troops you have and how much you can send equipped, trained, and battle-hardened. Also, my son and his experienced bodyguard are currently traveling to Kingshill. I could send a courier pigeon to Kingshill where they are staying for accomadations. That way they could hire a professional assassin who can poison the King's Chief Steward. Other than that a peasantry rebellion could stall them long enough for us to start building the Fortress of Serenity. I think that is what we will call the fort. Other than that I need a status report of our finances what money we can put together what experienced and equipped men we have and let me know what you think of the Fortress of Serenity.
Last edited by Albertae on Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My Political Compass:

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived. -General George S. Patton
GENERATION 9: Social experiment. When you see this, add one to the generation and copy this into your signature.

Cresadine
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cresadine » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:39 pm

Soutona wrote:

"So I'm assuming that his majesty is not going to be happy at this defiance." Jack continued "Which mean he'll want to punish them, which means more work for me. But the way he goes about things is a little too 'fire and brimstone' sometimes. How do you want to handle this?"

"I do not think he will. I only wish he would take our advice more seriously," Geoffrey chuckled. "I don't think he'll send you, this might be a job for the Royal Army, we need the muscle of the Crown to remain close. Onto another matter, I have machinations in place that would remove Saxon Clique as Captain of the Palace Guard. He is unreliable. Do you have a replacement in mind? Someone from your army perhaps?"
He forbead þa heortas swylce eac þa baras, swa swiðe he lufode þa headeor swilce he wære heora fæder

Albertae
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Albertae » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:44 pm

To: Charles Goodford, On the road to Kingshill

Do not speak of this with anyone other then I tell you too.

I write you in haste, currently I am meeting with two esteemed guests in my Fortress Lord Æbor, and Lord Tyrus. We are going to be staging a rebellion soon enough and I fear the Royal Auditor that I declined to go to a audit for has suspected my treason, as I've never missed an audit before. When you get there I want you to find an experienced assasins to finish off this auditor and then continue to the Divison. And afterwards I want you to only speak to the Division Leader. Other than him you must only speak with the assassin about this. Do not even tell Frederickson about this, he is a young child of only the age of 11 and at that age things just get blurted out. That extra money I gave you use as much as you need on the assassin. And the rest donate to the Division's funds I will send more later.

Signed, Lord Miller, Lord of Iglothra
My Political Compass:

Amuaplye
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Amuaplye » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:46 pm

Albertae wrote:Council Room
Lord Miller
Lord Æbor
Lord Lord Tyrus

Lord Miller: Ok, I'm suggesting that we start looking at the situation here. I can supply the food, Lord Tyrus you can supply the food and Lord Æbor you can supply the soldiers. I currently have an idea to station ours rebel capital in the lake that connects to the ocean near here. This will give us a quick escape. I currently have 300 armed, trained, and battle-hardened men. I can send half of these men to protect our rebel capital which we will call a trade capital between our three realms. If you all could give me an idea of how many troops you have and how much you can send equipped, trained, and battle-hardened. Also, my son and his experienced bodyguard are currently traveling to Kingshill. I could send a courier pigeon to Kingshill where they are staying for accomadations. That way they could hire a professional assassin who can poison the King's Chief Steward. Other than that a peasantry rebellion could stall them long enough for us to start building the Fortress of Serenity. I think that is what we will call the fort. Other than that I need a status report of our finances what money we can put together what experienced and equipped men we have and let me know what you think of the Fortress of Serenity.

"Is it all right if we poison the treasurer? I always thought he was annoying." He said. "Now, I have 100-500 men at my disposal."
I'm a dude.

Soutona
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Soutona » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:57 pm

Cresadine wrote:
Soutona wrote:

"I do not think he will. I only wish he would take our advice more seriously," Geoffrey chuckled. "I don't think he'll send you, this might be a job for the Royal Army, we need the muscle of the Crown to remain close. Onto another matter, I have machinations in place that would remove Saxon Clique as Captain of the Palace Guard. He is unreliable. Do you have a replacement in mind? Someone from your army perhaps?"

"Someone from my army?" he asked, and then contemplated for a second before continuing "I have 4 lieutenants, Pharo Domaraj, Lynella Entrone, Gael the Bard, and Jon Grimm. Pharo doesn't speak the common tongue very well so he's out, Lyn is a woman and I don't think the court will stand for a woman being in charge of the king's protection, and Gael is my 2nd so I need him around in case I take an arrow to the neck or something. That leaves Jon Grimm. Grimm is an uncultured brute, but he's loyal, he's efficient, and he's experienced. He's been leading men for ten years now and would whip these fools you have guarding this place back into shape. However, loosing him would be costly to The Red Lances. I expect payment or a proper replacement if I gave him to you."
Last edited by Soutona on Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You begin saving the world by saving one person at a time; all else is grandiose romanticism or politics.” -Charles Bukowski

Albertae
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Albertae » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:01 pm

Amuaplye wrote:
Albertae wrote:Council Room
Lord Miller
Lord Æbor
Lord Lord Tyrus

Lord Miller: Ok, I'm suggesting that we start looking at the situation here. I can supply the food, Lord Tyrus you can supply the food and Lord Æbor you can supply the soldiers. I currently have an idea to station ours rebel capital in the lake that connects to the ocean near here. This will give us a quick escape. I currently have 300 armed, trained, and battle-hardened men. I can send half of these men to protect our rebel capital which we will call a trade capital between our three realms. If you all could give me an idea of how many troops you have and how much you can send equipped, trained, and battle-hardened. Also, my son and his experienced bodyguard are currently traveling to Kingshill. I could send a courier pigeon to Kingshill where they are staying for accomadations. That way they could hire a professional assassin who can poison the King's Chief Steward. Other than that a peasantry rebellion could stall them long enough for us to start building the Fortress of Serenity. I think that is what we will call the fort. Other than that I need a status report of our finances what money we can put together what experienced and equipped men we have and let me know what you think of the Fortress of Serenity.

"Is it all right if we poison the treasurer? I always thought he was annoying." He said. "Now, I have 100-500 men at my disposal."

Lord Miller:You mean Geoffrey? I was thinking we would poison the Chief Auditor of the King. The man wo sent us the Royal audit letter. With him gone I could seize his wealth. I'm not sure he will have many as I remember being a child on a farm that served the Baron of Hyville. They were always indebted so we were aswell so that they could pay off their dues. Now that they are rich I will seize what is rightfully my family's. I think if you could send 300 then we would have 600 and then Tyrus could send maybe 200 then we would have a garrison of 800 well equipped, battle-hardened soldiers ready to defend our main base of operations. The King currently has 1000 soldiers in the Royal Army, and we would cutting off his main soldier supplier, you Lord Æbor, his main metal producer, you Lord Tyrus, and I his main food producer. We would be cutting the limbs off the chicken.
My Political Compass:

Cresadine
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cresadine » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:08 pm

Soutona wrote:
Cresadine wrote:

"Someone from my army?" he asked, and then contemplated for a second before continuing "I have 4 lieutenants, Pharo Domaraj, Lynella Entrone, Gael the Bard, and Jon Grimm. Pharo doesn't speak the common tongue very well so he's out, Lyn is a woman and I don't think the court will stand for a woman being in charge of the king's protection, and Gael is my 2nd so I need him around in case I take an arrow to the neck or something. That leaves Jon Grimm. Grimm is an uncultured brute, but he's loyal, he's efficient, and he's experienced. He's been leading men for ten years now and would whip these fools you have guarding this place back into shape. However, loosing him would be costly to The Red Lances. I expect payment or a proper replacement if I gave him to you."

"Would 1,000 Ducats be sufficient compensation? Of course, this will only be paid if we can install him."

Albertae
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Albertae » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:15 pm

Kingshill, Capital of The Kingdom of Lavell
King's Tavern

Charles Goodford and Frederickson Miller walk into the tavern and head for the owner.
Charles Goodford: What can I get for 10 silver ducats?
Owner: Golden ducats? One silver ducats per night so ten nights and those two bed rooms.
Charles Goodford: How about we add five silver ducats to that and you will take care of my horses and feed them everyday.
Owner: Can do.
Charles and Fredrickson head up the stairs to their room after putting the horses in the stables.
Charles: Ok Frederickson you head off to this Division leader aka the King's Captain. And I have some buisiness to do. And be back before midnight.
Frederickson: Ok, Charles.
They part their seperate ways and while Charles looks for an acceptable candidate Frederickson heads off to the Palace.
Frederickson: Hello! I'm Lord Miller's son.
Frederickson: I've come to seek out a the man who is the King's Guard Captain?
Guard: Seal?
Frederickson unsheathed his Greatsword to show the Miller crest which startles the guard and sends him fumbling for his weapons.
Frederickson: Don't get your tits in a knit, I'm an eleven year old you imbecile this is my Royal crest now let me past.
The guard is red-faced after being frightened by an eleven year who can barely handle his own Greatsword, nonetheless he lets the child past. Frederickson heads straight for the King's Guard and asks for Saxon Clique the Captain of the King's Guard...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shortly afterwards Charles gets the prisoner who is still tied up on his horse and heads to the palace.

Charles and Frederickson soon find the man they seek.
Last edited by Albertae on Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
My Political Compass:

Soutona
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Soutona » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:20 pm

Cresadine wrote:
Soutona wrote:

"Would 1,000 Ducats be sufficient compensation? Of course, this will only be paid if we can install him."

"1,000 Ducats would be acceptable, however a replacement would be preferable and would be cheaper on your part. Going through the trouble of promoting a new lieutenant can be so troublesome. Anyway, do you have anything for me personally because I have to get back to the barracks and then drink myself into a stupor. The men are throwing some sort of 'Victory Party' at the Noble Tavern, I'll let Grimm know when I see him there."

Cresadine
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cresadine » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:22 pm

Soutona wrote:
Cresadine wrote:

"1,000 Ducats would be acceptable, however a replacement would be preferable and would be cheaper on your part. Going through the trouble of promoting a new lieutenant can be so troublesome. Anyway, do you have anything for me personally because I have to get back to the barracks and then drink myself into a stupor. The men are throwing some sort of 'Victory Party' at the Noble Tavern, I'll let Grimm know when I see him there."

"I will look for a replacement then. And please wait to tell Grimm."

The two friends departed and Geoffrey ordered another page to fetch the representative from the Lord of Tikkemund.

Amuaplye
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Amuaplye » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:27 pm

Albertae wrote:
Amuaplye wrote:"Is it all right if we poison the treasurer? I always thought he was annoying." He said. "Now, I have 100-500 men at my disposal."

Lord Miller:You mean Geoffrey? I was thinking we would poison the Chief Auditor of the King. The man wo sent us the Royal audit letter. With him gone I could seize his wealth. I'm not sure he will have many as I remember being a child on a farm that served the Baron of Hyville. They were always indebted so we were aswell so that they could pay off their dues. Now that they are rich I will seize what is rightfully my family's. I think if you could send 300 then we would have 600 and then Tyrus could send maybe 200 then we would have a garrison of 800 well equipped, battle-hardened soldiers ready to defend our main base of operations. The King currently has 1000 soldiers in the Royal Army, and we would cutting off his main soldier supplier, you Lord Æbor, his main metal producer, you Lord Tyrus, and I his main food producer. We would be cutting the limbs off the chicken.

"I'll send you 400." He said. "Is this a deal?"
I'm a dude.

Albertae
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Albertae » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:29 pm

Amuaplye wrote:
Albertae wrote:

"I'll send you 400." He said. "Is this a deal?"

Lord Miller: Done deal. That brings our total up to 900 soldiers.
My Political Compass:

The Praetorian Empire
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 02, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Praetorian Empire » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:27 pm

Erhialam wrote:Kingshill
Croft Villa

"Damn it all," murmured the merchant Croft, pacing the floor of the study. "It should have arrived an hour ago."
Glancing down at his young servant, he curled his lip into a sneer. "What are you looking at, boy?"

Collen ducked his head, dipping his rag into the pail and continuing to scrub the floor. "Nothing, master," he replied.

" 'Nothing, master'," the merchant mocked, giving the boy a half-hearted kick in the side. Collen gritted his teeth to avoid crying out; he already had a bruise just below his ribs. The boy glared up at his master with an expression of loathing as the man turned his back, but managed to avert his gaze before Croft could look back.

"I suppose I'll stoop and go myself." The contempt in Croft's voice was naked. "And you'll go with me, to carry it."

Collen could not care less about the contents of his master's precious parcel, or even that he would be forced to carry it back to the villa. What he hated was the leash.

On Croft's rare trips into Kinghill, he usually locked his young servant in the cellar for the duration. It was not that Collen had much value to him, but Croft was a petty man, drunk on his own sense of power, and to have the boy escape would be a blow to his pride. On the even rarer occasions upon which he needed a porter, he would knot a long leather rope about Collen's neck and drag the boy behind like a dog.

Croft ignored the stares of Kingshill citizens and responded tersely to any questions about the boy on the leash behind him, well used to whispers of his own eccentricities as a merchant. Collen, for his part, preferred the indifferent ones to the ones who looked sympathetic. After all, Croft had feigned sympathy for his parents...Besides, it was better not to interact; the last time Collen had tried to speak to a passer-by, when he was very young, had gotten him a vicious beating.

Presently, Collen winced as the man knotted the wretched leather rope tightly around his neck, making sure that the tie was too complex for the boy to unravel undetected. "I wish it were a noose." Collen wanted to say. So he said it with his dark eyes. I wish it were a noose.

Croft, noticing the stare, slapped his servant across the cheek. "Little cur." Turning, he tugged hard at the leather, dragging the ragged Collen behind.

The Magpie had plenty of business to tie up in the capital. His new post out in Tikkemund took up much of his time, and he found his old networks in Kingshill were starting to decay in his absence. The guards were more suspicious than ever, making it harder for his orphans to get to where they needed to go. The fact that he had not recruited any new children into his fold has especially damning, as the one's he had were beginning to get recognized. Nonetheless, he carries on as normal. On a normal day's walk through the park, he would happen to bump into several scruffy looking orphan children. He would grab them and shoo them off, and they would scuttle away. He would then often turn to bystanders and complain about the number of 'little rats' loose in the city. He would then go into his pocket and read the notes the very same little rats had just passed him, or count the coins they deposited in his pocket. Nowadays, he usually has people to do this for him, but this is how he attained his wealth. A master of spies. Before that, he was one of the same scurrying rodents, which is way the slave boy on the leash across from him caught his eye.

He moves across the marketplace without a sound. He slides past the crowds practically unnoticed, and soon, he is only a few feet in front of the old merchant. "Master Croft." He says, bowing ever so slightly. He hides the disgust this causes him - having to bow to someone lower than him - quite well. He was once lower than low, after all. "I fear you may not recognise my face, sir, but that is no matter, for I am sure you will recognise my name. They call me the Magpie." He smirks slightly, his aged, thin face barely showing from beneath his hood. I imagine a man as... influential as yourself must be in the city for the audit, yes? Or is it simply business." He reaches into his pocket and produces a single silver ducat, holding it out to the old man. "Either way, I hope I might convince you to join me for a drink. I have a proposal for you." His eyes turn briefly to the boy indentured with the man. Skinny, weak and lost. He sees himself in the lad. More importantly, he sees profit.
Formerly Khanastan; the Praetorian Empire is set in the same geographical region, only around 200 years earlier.

The Praetorian Empire is a PreT nation set in a world going through an age similar to the Victorian Era - a world of Great Powers, Imperialism, Political Revolution and Technological Advancement where the capitalist machine is beginning to stir into action and when nations were at their largest and grandest. If anyone wants to roleplay a time in that era, feel free to TG me.

Gerdon Laughis
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 24, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Gerdon Laughis » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:36 pm

Mountain Fortress of Shattrath

I stare out across my fief and take in the sight of the mountain view. My guards stand at attention as I walk back in and look at the map of my demesne. I slowly run my hand over the small town at the base of the mountain and think of the people I know control. The people love me and the pretenders hate me, but that's to be expected for any good ruler. Intrigue is everywhere and there is never a shortage of drama in the court. All we have to do is sit and wait for a problem to present itself.

Soutona
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Soutona » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:46 pm

Jackary quickly exited the palace and headed for the stables where he found his horse waiting for him. He mounted and kicked the stallion into motion moving back down the road towards the facility that The Red Lances call "The Barracks." In reality the compound was a retrofitted mansion that was reconstructed to be the headquarters of the thousand men that make up The Red Lances. As he approached, the men who were on guard atop the palisade the surrounded the Barracks called out to him.

"WHO GOES THERE!?" the man Jack knew as Torly yelled out

"Who the hell do you think it is you bloody bastards!" Jack yelled back with a smile covering his face "Open up!"

"Oh look it's the 'Jackass' sauntering back from from the palace!" Torly started "RAISE THE GATE!"

With a series of clanks the thin metal gate began rising and Jack rode through, ducking his head slightly to pass through the gate. He dismounted and like at the palace a stableboy ran over and took the horse over to the massive stable that flanked the even more massive structure that housed the Red Lances. He turned around to see Gael the Bard walking towards him. Gael was a short man with a large beard that was just beginning to grey and a jolly personality. He clapped Jack on the shoulder and for forced a mug of beer into his hand.

"Aye lad" he said with a grin "Good job out there, Harl couldn't have done it better himself."

Jack looked at the mug of beer and asked "I thought we were supposed to drink at the Noble Tavern?"

"Bah!" Gael barked "Thats not til later, Tonight we get drunk here!"

Jack shrugged his shoulders and then downed the whole mug in one go before letting out a loud belch.

The Praetorian Empire
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Praetorian Empire » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:59 pm

Cresadine wrote:
Soutona wrote:

The two friends departed and Geoffrey ordered another page to fetch the representative from the Lord of Tikkemund.

In almost no time at all, there is a knock on the door. The Magpie has a habit of seeming to be everywhere at once, never stopping to sit down and think. He does all his thinking while on the move, and after the long journey from Tikkemund to Kingshill he's had plenty of time to think about this meeting. As the heavy door opens to Geoffrey's office, the Magpie enters. He has removed his signature coat, revealing the expensive black silk suit he has on underneath. He is clean shaven, free of all dirt and wearing very fancy Eastern cologne. Such a display of wealth in the very office of the Arch-Treasurer is the political equivalent of him saying that what lies under his codpiece is much larger than what lies under Geoffrey's, so to speak.

"Good Lord." He says with a slight nod of the head. "I regret to inform you that our friend, the Lord Grond, will not be attending your audit. He is very unwell and has been for some time as i'm sure you know. He has named me his Chancellor and sent me in his stead." He keeps his facade of pleasantness up until he hears the door close behind him. Geoffrey is one of the few people in the realm that knows openly of the Magpie's less than noble past, and can likely see through his charade of good manners. The Magpie, of course, has heard many rumors about Geoffrey, but truth be told, he is the one noble in the King's court that he does not fully have figured out. All he knows about him is happenstance and rumor. Needless to say, the Magpie respects Geoffrey's ability to preserve his secrets.

He straightens up when he is sure they are alone, then he leans on a chair, locking eyes with the man across from him. "How's the wife?" He says with a sickening smile.
Last edited by The Praetorian Empire on Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly Khanastan; the Praetorian Empire is set in the same geographical region, only around 200 years earlier.

The Praetorian Empire is a PreT nation set in a world going through an age similar to the Victorian Era - a world of Great Powers, Imperialism, Political Revolution and Technological Advancement where the capitalist machine is beginning to stir into action and when nations were at their largest and grandest. If anyone wants to roleplay a time in that era, feel free to TG me.

Cresadine
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cresadine » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:08 pm

The Praetorian Empire wrote:
Cresadine wrote:

In almost no time at all, there is a knock on the door. The Magpie has a habit seeming to be everywhere at once, never stopping to sit down and think. He does all his thinking while on the move, and after the long journey from Tikkemund to Kingshill he's had plenty of time to think about this meeting. As the heavy door opens to Geoffrey's office, the Magpie enters. He has removed his signature coat, revealing the expensive black silk suit he has on underneath. He is clean shaven, free of all dirt and wearing very fancy Eastern cologne. Such a display of wealth in the very office of the Arch-Treasurer is the political equivalent of him saying that lies under his codpiece is much larger than what lies under Geoffrey's so to speak.

"Good Lord." He says with a slight nod of the head. "I regret to inform you that our friend the Lord Grond will not be attending your audit. He is very unwell and has been for some time. He has named me his Chancellor and sent me in his stead." He keeps his parade of pleasantness until he hears the door close behind him. Geoffrey is one of the few people in the realm that knows openly of the Magpie's less than noble past, and can likely see through his charade of good manners. The Magpie, of course, has heard many rumors about Geoffrey, but truth be told, he is the one noble in the King's court that he does not fully have figured out. All he knows about him is happenstance and rumor. Needless to say, the Magpie respects Geoffrey's ability to preserve his secrets.

He straightens up when he is sure they are alone, then he leans on a chair, locking eyes with the man across from him. "How's the wife?" He says with a sickening smile.

Geoffrey smiles a little bit when the Magpie enters. Geoffrey has always enjoyed the dance of politics, the elegant game of to and fro between men. The Magpie is an elegant player of the game, one knows how to manipulate the pieces to his will, Geoffrey admires the man for this. The Magpie is obviously trying to make a statement, such parlour tricks might work with merchants who see wealth as the common denominator, or people who have not come to know the dance, but they have little effect on Geoffrey.

"That is most unfortunate. I have heard of the rather rapid succession of Lord's in Tikkemund, I trust all is orderly?"

He disregards the comment about his wife, and replies with, "rather well. She will visit me soon as she currently has been ruling in my stead in Hyville."
Last edited by Cresadine on Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Erhialam
Diplomat

Founded: May 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Erhialam » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:10 pm

"Master Magpie," Croft greeted, making a little bow and eyeing the ducat suspiciously, his voice cordial and cold. "What a...delight to encounter one of the last intelligent men in a city of fools." He snatched the coin swiftly from the Magpie's hand, staring at it for a long moment as if questioning its authenticity.

"I would enjoy a meeting at the tavern with you to discuss your deal. Lead on." Croft gave the leather rope a yank, causing Collen to stumble before regarding his balance.

It had not been lost to the boy how the Magpie had glanced at him, and the look had filled him with suspicion. Perhaps Collen was mistaken, but the look seemed to carry more than just pity or morbid curiosity. He couldn't tell what the man truly wanted with Croft, but something seemed out of the ordinary. Collen stared at the man, trying to read something in his countenance that perhaps wasn't even there.
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it." - The great Terry Pratchett

~
Erhialam is also known as Interstellar Australia. Apparently.

The Praetorian Empire
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Praetorian Empire » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:46 pm

Cresadine wrote:
Geoffrey smiles a little bit when the Magpie enters. Geoffrey has always enjoyed the dance of politics, the elegant game of to and fro between men. The Magpie is an elegant player of the game, one knows how to manipulate the pieces to his will, Geoffrey admires the man for this. The Magpie is obviously trying to make a statement, such parlour tricks might work with merchants who see wealth as the common denominator, or people who have not come to know the dance, but they have little effect on Geoffrey.

"That is most unfortunate. I have heard of the rather rapid succession of Lord's in Tikkemund, I trust all is orderly?"

He disregards the comment about his wife, and replies with, "rather well. She will visit me soon as she currently has been ruling in my stead in Hyville."

The Magpie motions for both men to sit, then sits himself. A rather uncourteous move to tell his host to sit, but the Magpie has never been one for court. "All is well in Swampcrest." He says while looking around the room, admiring the furnishings. It's exactly what he'd expected from Geoffrey. Simple to the point of plainness, but what little he's decorated his room with is certainly eye-catching. There is enough wealth in paper in this room to fund a small army, neatly stacked away in scroll cupboards.

He rattles his fingers together as he looks around, trying to calculate the wealth in this room in his head. An old habit of a professional thief. He can't seem to enter a building without casing it. "I'm sure she's doing a fine job, if her husband's own work is anything to go by." Suddenly his eyes snap back to Geoffrey, followed by the rest of his head in a slow turn. He's done with rhetoric. Business is on his mind now. Sveter gave him a mission, and time is very sensitive. "I can't help but notice the lack of noble stock in the city as of late. How odd, what with the audit on and everything. Was your summons not at the behest of his majesty? That would make it a royal summons, no?" His expressions turns to one of mock concern, and he places his fingers on the edge of the table. "In the time of the old king, it was treachery to refuse such a summons, was it not, my lord?"

Erhialam wrote:"Master Magpie," Croft greeted, making a little bow and eyeing the ducat suspiciously, his voice cordial and cold. "What a...delight to encounter one of the last intelligent men in a city of fools." He snatched the coin swiftly from the Magpie's hand, staring at it for a long moment as if questioning its authenticity.

"I would enjoy a meeting at the tavern with you to discuss your deal. Lead on." Croft gave the leather rope a yank, causing Collen to stumble before regarding his balance.

It had not been lost to the boy how the Magpie had glanced at him, and the look had filled him with suspicion. Perhaps Collen was mistaken, but the look seemed to carry more than just pity or morbid curiosity. He couldn't tell what the man truly wanted with Croft, but something seemed out of the ordinary. Collen stared at the man, trying to read something in his countenance that perhaps wasn't even there.

The Magpie offers a cursory smile at the compliment and then turns to lead the pair towards a nearby tavern. It is a rather upmarket place, much more upmarket than his usual drinking establishment. The two men spend a long time talking in rhetoric that the young boy cannot understand, but the Magpie continues to shoot him glances. Many drinks are bought, all paid for by the Magpie himself, but the keen observer will notice that he has had the one pint of ale sitting in front of him the whole time, completely untouched.

"I won't waste any more of your time Master Croft." Says the Magpie, fingering the hood he still has over his head. "I've laid out my terms. 20 sacks of sugar a month, 10 rolls of papyrus a month and 4 boxes of dried peat a month for the price of 20 gold and 20 silver per month. A very fair deal in the current climate, I assure you. And I will ask no extra to pay any tolls or new taxes. I'll even extend my contacts to you to help you sell the goods on." He smiles reassuringly at the drunken man in front of him, now so drunk that he barely suspects any malcontent in the ridiculously good offer that's just been proposed. "All we need to do is shake on it, and I assure you, you'll be one of the richest merchants in this rathole of a city in only a few months.
Last edited by The Praetorian Empire on Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anglo Saxon-Franko
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Anglo Saxon-Franko » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:09 pm

Albertae wrote:Kingshill, Capital of The Kingdom of Lavell
King's Tavern

Charles Goodford and Frederickson Miller walk into the tavern and head for the owner.
Charles Goodford: What can I get for 10 silver ducats?
Owner: Golden ducats? One silver ducats per night so ten nights and those two bed rooms.
Charles Goodford: How about we add five silver ducats to that and you will take care of my horses and feed them everyday.
Owner: Can do.
Charles and Fredrickson head up the stairs to their room after putting the horses in the stables.
Charles: Ok Frederickson you head off to this Division leader aka the King's Captain. And I have some buisiness to do. And be back before midnight.
Frederickson: Ok, Charles.
They part their seperate ways and while Charles looks for an acceptable candidate Frederickson heads off to the Palace.
Frederickson: Hello! I'm Lord Miller's son I've come to seek out a the man who is the King's Guard Captain?
Guard: Seal?
Frederickson unsheathed his Greatsword to show the Miller crest which startles the guard and sends him fumbling for his weapons.
Frederickson: Don't get your tits in a knit, I'm an eleven year old you imbecile this is my Royal crest now let me past.
The guard is red-faced after being frightened by an eleven year who can barely handle his own Greatsword, nonetheless he lets the child past. Frederickson heads straight for the King's Guard and asks for Saxon Clique the Captain of the King's Guard...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
King's Tavern

Charles has been sitting at a table for awhile now waiting for a contact he asked to come see him here.
A man in a dark hood walks in and sits down at the table with Charles.
Charles: It's been awhile friend.
Assassin: Indeed, now what is it you need friend.
Charles whispers everything after and this: I need you to poison the King's Chief Auditor.
The assassin seems stunned but stays professional.
Assassin: How much are you paying?
Charles: 250 ducats.
Assassin: 500 ducats.
Charles: 475 ducats.
Assassin: I suppose we have a deal. What is the significance of the man?
Charles: I do not know why my employer wants this done he just ask that while I'm in town on secret buisiness that I get this done.
Assassin: I'm taking a big risk here is there any assets I have?
Charles: Well, the child I'm currently accompanying is talking to a man that is part of some secret order called the Division who also want the King dead.
Charles: And this secret order is an official order that is close enough to the King they could be of use.
Assassin: Hmmm, I can do this but what is your preference on the man's death?
Charles: Apparently my master wanted the man poisoned but it is up to your preference. We will speak about this further tommorrow when I have more details from the child.
They casually leave one after another an hour apart and then Charles heads to the palace to catch up with Frederickson.

Saxon was still very angry about the mercenaries in the city. But he had found a scape goat, a servant who brought food to the dungeon who hates the king. Then a boy walked into his office bearing the seal of the Lord he had sent the message too. "Welcome, come back here and lock the door. I am the leader of the people your looking for. But I expected your father, but I will take what I can get. I hope you have a plan, cause the steward and I are at odds right now. So my position maybe at risk, but with my family's service. I should be safe, so what can I help you with?" Asked Saxon is a hushed voice.

United Human Planets
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 25, 2015
Left-Leaning College State

Postby United Human Planets » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:11 pm

Tyrus Willun, Lord Of The Twin Reaches

Tyrus strode into the great hall of Honeybarrow, where two other men sat. He didnt know them well, but had heard of them. They were Lord Fredrick Miller, and Lord Æþor Bergussøn. They together, made up an alliance to lay siege to the Kings holding, and would take his crown from him. Tyrus greeted the two men, but other that that didn't say much. He sat in between the two men, and listened to them talk back and forth about logistics. He agreed with what was being said, but couldn't help but feel they were covering ground they had already been over.

After at least 15 minutes of this, Tyrus straightened up in his chair, and said, "My lords, I feel we are well aware of our military's strength at this point in the conversation. I feel we need to focus on what our plans are, if we are to go to war. We would obviously need to raise our army's. But what then? Im sure you men have your own ideas for strategy, but let me say what I believe we should do." Tyrus filled a cup of wine before continuing, "I believe that the best course of action is to stage a campaign from my lands. They are mountainous, and my soldiers are very well prepared to defend them. If we strike from there, even if the kings forces do manage to push us back, they will not have an easy time getting to our capitals on the other side of the mountains." Tyrus sat back, and examined the other two lords faces, waiting for a response.

Zaahir Ashan
Commander of the Order Of The Open Hand
Kingshill.

Zaahir rode through the streets of Kingshill, Abdas riding next to him, and 2 more of his men behind them. He had taken up his muttering again, now that he was not in a situation where he would need to worry about his appearance in front of a potential employer. He had looked over his room, and had rather liked it. He had decided that if his men were not going to have any lodgings for a while, then at least some of them would get to expierience the comforts of the palace. He had only been in the city for a few days, but non the less he had had as many of his soldiers as he could pack into that one room at a time sleeping there every night. It was an odd situation, similar to a sleepover among children, only instead of children it was highly trained, battle tested warriors who enjoyed leering at the women as they passed by their door. The women here were certainly much less modest here than they were in his homeland, and the men had certainly noticed it. Abdas had tried to get the men to stop, but with no support from Zaahir, who was far more concerned with drinking up the wine and talking to any who would listen about his insane fantasys, he had had little success. He still stuck by his beliefs though, and told any of the Open Handers he saw catcalling the women that a real man would never treat a lady like that. He was far to gentlemanly of a man to be a sellsword.

But, now they were patrolling the streets of Kingshill, just as they had been hired to do. There had been a few minor incidents, but most of them had resolved themselves when Zaahir began to rant at the perpetrators about how he liked the idea of skinning them, or taking their ears, or many other bizarre and disturbing punishments. Zaahir had noticed that there was another group who patrolled other than his men and the city guard. They all seemed to be wearing black armor, and carrying crimson flags. He wondered about these men. They were far better looking in their beautiful, hammered armor than his men were, in their old, ragged clothing and chinked and stained chain mail. It seemed they had far more favor with the people than Zaahirs Open Hand soldiers. But, he didn't care, his troops carried some level of respect, even if they weren't liked, so they were able to do the jobs they were hired for.

The 4 man group patrolled for what seemed an unending, boring few hours where nothing happened, until a man came running up to them. He was fat, and looked like a rich man. He told them that his house had been robbed, while he was still inside even. According to him, the bandits had the king was on his way out, and they could do what ever they wanted.

"Tell us where they are," said Abdas, looking at the man.

"Im not sure, but I believe they would probably have gone to the nearest tavern to my home. Ive seen them lurking about there before, and they always watched me go by. I feel they are jealous of me."

There was a bit more back and forth, but the end result was the man showing Zaahir and his men the tavern, and just as he had said, a trio of men who he said were the robbers sat around a table inside. "That one is the leader of the group, sir," said the man, "He was telling the others what to take."

Zaahir looked at the man, then to the robbers, before dismounting his horse and entering the tavern. Abdas and his other two man came behind him. He walked up to the man who was supposedly the leader of the robbers, and said, "Excuse me sir, but have you by any chance entered that mans home, and taken his things while he was still there?" Zaahir hadnt really needed to ask, it was rather obvious that they had. They were wearing golden necklaces and rings that they had clearly never had the money to buy.

"Why would you want to know that, sir?" replied the man.

"Because," said Zaahir, before jumping up onto the three robbers table, kicking their drinks to the ground, and leaning forward into the leaders face and yelling, "I DONT LIKE THAT!"

There was a brief clamor as the robber fell backwards from his chair, before quickly standing himself back up and pulling a knife out from his pants and saying, "What in the hells is this? You cant just do that to me, friend? Do you know what I did to the last guy who did that to me? Do you? Hu-" his sentence was cut short, as Zaahir reached forward from atop the table and grabbed the mans hand that was holding the knife, and with his other reaching out and slapping him across the face.

Zaahir blew a raspberry into the mans face, before speaking, "I dont care what you did to the last man, Im going to do what I want to you. If I want to have you with some fine wine and spices, I will, you stupid punch drunk milk drinker."

The robber looked at Zaahir, shocked by the bizzare show of force, and said, "W-what?"

One of Zaahirs men, who was still standing by the door, said, "I believe he is telling you that he plans to eat you, sir."

The robber looked at Zaahir, then to the soldier, and back to Zaahir before opening his fist and dropping his knife. Behind Zaahir, one of the other robbers pulled a knife as well, and mad to lunge at him. Zaahir turned on his heel, bringing the leader with him, who fell down onto his side while Zaahir never let of him, and kicked the mans knife out of his hand. It flew up into the air, hitting the ceiling, before coming down onto the toe of the third robber. "DONT TRY THAT SHIT!" Yelled Zaahir, "OR ILL EAT YOU TO!"

There was some more yelling and ranting from Zaahir, but it soon ended well, and the robbers gave what they had stolen back to their victim. Zaahir had the three men tied to the back of his horse by the hands, and he cantered all the way back to the jail, so that the three robbers had to run.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse