NATION

PASSWORD

A Tale of Today (OOC/Open/AH)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Negara-West Hesia
Envoy

Founded: Feb 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Negara-West Hesia » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:13 am

Reatra wrote:
New Rnclave wrote:
Buying land is a lot different then taking it in war, and there's no guarantee I'll even go through with it.

Vancouver dude, Vancouver and Oregon would be built up more to serve my needs in the Pacific.

The USA isn't very good at having the government do things, which is why they let the free market do it.

what on earth are you on about

the US' westward expansion was basically only possible because of government policies
Last edited by Negara-West Hesia on Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reatra
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Reatra » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:15 am

Alaska wasn't just bought because it was MORE LAND, but because Russia was a feudal absolute monarchy, the kind that the USA hates especially, they bought Alaska too get rid of monarchies in the Americas, and made propaganda afterwards implying that the British monarch was next.
yee haw it's time for mass line

Terminus Alpha
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Terminus Alpha » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:16 am

Negara-West Hesia wrote:
Reatra wrote:
The USA isn't very good at having the government do things, which is why they let the free market do it.

what on earth are you on about

the US' westward expansion was basically only possible because of government policies

Rnclave hasn't even finished their app I don't think. I know they haven't posted in the IC.
RP Interests: Alt-Hist, Space, 20th Century onward.
In the process of becoming a History teacher.
Center-Left-Libertarian | "Dirty filthy hippie"
Agnostic Atheist
Democrat
LGBT+

The Kingdom of Glitter
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 08, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Kingdom of Glitter » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:17 am

Reatra wrote:Alaska wasn't just bought because it was MORE LAND, but because Russia was a feudal absolute monarchy, the kind that the USA hates especially, they bought Alaska too get rid of monarchies in the Americas, and made propaganda afterwards implying that the British monarch was next.

Literally none of this is true. I would ask what California puts in their water supply, but considering they currently do not have any i can't

But literally that is not why. Like literally no. Literally everyone mocked Seward for purchasing Alaska, literally everyone. It became fun like 20 years later.

Reatra
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Reatra » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:19 am

The Kingdom of Glitter wrote:
Reatra wrote:Alaska wasn't just bought because it was MORE LAND, but because Russia was a feudal absolute monarchy, the kind that the USA hates especially, they bought Alaska to get rid of monarchies in the Americas, and made propaganda afterwards implying that the British monarch was next.

Literally none of this is true. I would ask what California puts in their water supply, but considering they currently do not have any i can't

But literally that is not why. Like literally no. Literally everyone mocked Seward for purchasing Alaska, literally everyone. It became fun like 20 years later.

Doesn't matter if he was mocked, the monarchy part was true. I'd get posters from the era but I'm in class.
yee haw it's time for mass line

The Greater Dutch Republic
Minister

Founded: Aug 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Dutch Republic » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:19 am

The Kingdom of Glitter wrote:Alaska was also virtually next to the US and was bought for very little, where as WPNG is an ocean away and is being sold for 400 billion dollars.

You also have to look at when these resources became available. If the cooper was not able to be mined until the 1950s because it was too deep/whatever, it means it is irrelevant in 1898.

Still doesn't change the fact that the land is literally worthless and "people want more" still does not justify throwing that much money at it.

http://mrlynchss.weebly.com/uploads/1/1/3/6/11362134/588093443.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/12/American_progress.JPG
http://polandball.cc/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/1fuoYB3.png
MANIFEST DESTINY
Australian Antarctica wrote:Sorry, I was Russian to be funny. Fine, I'll Finnish with them soon enough. Unless you are Hungary for more?

Conwy-shire wrote:
Tracian Empire wrote: ... but I'm about to be executed by my teachers in school...

Rule 1. If they try to execute you, execute them back

Gyrenaica wrote:Just maybe I might not see any nukes I may or may not buy off the black market and may or may not know that I may or may not have the possible launch codes that may or may not exist for the nukes that may or may not exist.

Liecthenbourg wrote:
Great Confederacy Of Commonwealth States wrote:Does anyone know the term 'invasion of red tape'?

Excessive Communist adhesive.

The Kingdom of Glitter
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 08, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Kingdom of Glitter » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:21 am

Reatra wrote:

Doesn't matter if he was mocked, the monarchy part was true. I'd get posters from the era but I'm in class.

I mean it's not but okay considering literally no one supported the idea.

The Greater Dutch Republic wrote:
The Kingdom of Glitter wrote:Alaska was also virtually next to the US and was bought for very little, where as WPNG is an ocean away and is being sold for 400 billion dollars.

You also have to look at when these resources became available. If the cooper was not able to be mined until the 1950s because it was too deep/whatever, it means it is irrelevant in 1898.

Still doesn't change the fact that the land is literally worthless and "people want more" still does not justify throwing that much money at it.

http://mrlynchss.weebly.com/uploads/1/1/3/6/11362134/588093443.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/12/American_progress.JPG
http://polandball.cc/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/1fuoYB3.png
MANIFEST DESTINY

None of this is relevant in the slightest but sure.

Yasuragi
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 24, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Yasuragi » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:23 am

Reatra wrote:Alaska wasn't just bought because it was MORE LAND, but because Russia was a feudal absolute monarchy, the kind that the USA hates especially, they bought Alaska too get rid of monarchies in the Americas, and made propaganda afterwards implying that the British monarch was next.

Technically untrue. The purchase of Alaska was met with mixed reactions, with many celebrating it, and many dismissing it. It's only in recent decades that revisionists have portrayed it as a perceived mistake by the government, and "Seward's Folly" entered school textbooks.

No. America liked Russia, and Russia liked America. Similarly, Russia sold Alaska to America to counter British Canada, and because Russia was poor. Russia knew they couldn't keep Alaska if the British Empire attacked for it, so they gave it to America. America liked it because it continued to remove foreign powers from the continent, expanded American territories and reach, and set the way for the future (perceived) annexation of B.C. The Russian Empire and the United States had had favorable relations ever since America declared independence, regardless of Russia's status as an absolute monarchy.

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Dutch Republic » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:23 am

MANIFEST DESTINY
AMERICA GREATEST NATION
ALL URE LAND IS BELONGS TO US
Australian Antarctica wrote:Sorry, I was Russian to be funny. Fine, I'll Finnish with them soon enough. Unless you are Hungary for more?

Conwy-shire wrote:
Tracian Empire wrote: ... but I'm about to be executed by my teachers in school...

Gyrenaica wrote:Just maybe I might not see any nukes I may or may not buy off the black market and may or may not know that I may or may not have the possible launch codes that may or may not exist for the nukes that may or may not exist.

Liecthenbourg wrote:
Great Confederacy Of Commonwealth States wrote:Does anyone know the term 'invasion of red tape'?

Negara-West Hesia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Negara-West Hesia » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:29 am

no lol it was bought because it was for sale

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Dutch Republic » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:29 am

Take up the White Man's burden, Send forth the best ye breed
Go bind your sons to exile, to serve your captives' need;
To wait in heavy harness, On fluttered folk and wild—
Your new-caught, sullen peoples, Half-devil and half-child.

Take up the White Man's burden, In patience to abide,
To veil the threat of terror And check the show of pride;
By open speech and simple, An hundred times made plain
To seek another's profit, And work another's gain.

Take up the White Man's burden, The savage wars of peace—
Fill full the mouth of Famine And bid the sickness cease;
And when your goal is nearest The end for others sought,
Watch sloth and heathen Folly Bring all your hopes to nought.

Take up the White Man's burden, No tawdry rule of kings,
But toil of serf and sweeper, The tale of common things.
The ports ye shall not enter, The roads ye shall not tread,
Go mark them with your living, And mark them with your dead.

Take up the White Man's burden And reap his old reward:
The blame of those ye better, The hate of those ye guard—
The cry of hosts ye humour (Ah, slowly!) toward the light:—
"Why brought he us from bondage, Our loved Egyptian night?"

Take up the White Man's burden, Ye dare not stoop to less—
Nor call too loud on Freedom To cloak your weariness;
By all ye cry or whisper, By all ye leave or do,
The silent, sullen peoples Shall weigh your gods and you.

Take up the White Man's burden, Have done with childish days—
The lightly proferred laurel, The easy, ungrudged praise.
Comes now, to search your manhood, through all the thankless years
Cold, edged with dear-bought wisdom, The judgment of your peers!
Last edited by The Greater Dutch Republic on Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Conwy-shire wrote:

Liecthenbourg wrote:

Negara-West Hesia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Negara-West Hesia » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:32 am

A map from 1945 is literally irrelevant.

Anyone willing to throw a few hundred billion at half of a worthless, uncolonizable, island ICly really, really concerns me.

"everyone wants land" is not justification for a silly land purchase.

New Guinea has been proven to have deposits of copper, gold, and oil. That makes it valuable, even if it's just a little amount of those resources. Heck, America bought Alaska back before anyone knew it was valuable, because they felt like it and wanted MORE LAND.

it's worthless because all of those resources can't be exploited atm

also cool it with the spam

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Dutch Republic » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:35 am

Negara-West Hesia wrote:
The Greater Dutch Republic wrote:New Guinea has been proven to have deposits of copper, gold, and oil. That makes it valuable, even if it's just a little amount of those resources. Heck, America bought Alaska back before anyone knew it was valuable, because they felt like it and wanted MORE LAND.

it's worthless because all of those resources can't be exploited atm

Just trying to prove that Westerners wanted land for the sake of having land.
EDIT: pretty much done now.
Last edited by The Greater Dutch Republic on Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Conwy-shire wrote:

Liecthenbourg wrote:

Negara-West Hesia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Negara-West Hesia » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:36 am

Negara-West Hesia wrote:it's worthless because all of those resources can't be exploited atm

Just trying to prove that Westerners wanted land for the sake of having land.

they did, but it wasn't in everyone's interest to go around buying random plots lol

the US buying west-papua is completely nonsensical tbh, considering it's completely beyond their sphere of influence, and it isn't even valuable as a naval base like the Philippines is
Last edited by Negara-West Hesia on Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Dutch Republic » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:38 am

Maybe he just wants it. Why do you people care so much how people throw away their money? It doesn't do anything to you.

Conwy-shire wrote:

Liecthenbourg wrote:

New Rnclave
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 18, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Rnclave » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:49 am

Negara-West Hesia wrote:
The Greater Dutch Republic wrote:Just trying to prove that Westerners wanted land for the sake of having land.

they did, but it wasn't in everyone's interest to go around buying random plots lol

the US buying west-papua is completely nonsensical tbh, considering it's completely beyond their sphere of influence, and it isn't even valuable as a naval base like the Philippines is

I don't actually plan on buying it. It was an idea for awhile, but I have no point of resupply, and can't really rule over it.
Finland SSR wrote: Sex is a form of competitive martial arts, after all.
Hate. HATE. Were I Human...
I Think I Would Die of It.

Beat it, Toots. These Streets Ain't What They Used to Be

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Dutch Republic » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:55 am

New Rnclave wrote:
Negara-West Hesia wrote:they did, but it wasn't in everyone's interest to go around buying random plots lol

I don't actually plan on buying it. It was an idea for awhile, but I have no point of resupply, and can't really rule over it.

Again, I can fix that.

Conwy-shire wrote:

Liecthenbourg wrote:

The Holy Dominion of Inesea
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 08, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Holy Dominion of Inesea » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:13 am

Rattanakosin is willing to buy Cochinchina and Annam for 80 Million Guilders in the form of gold bullion, gemstones, and other trade goods paid out over the next decade. The Dutch would retain leases on the major port facilities for that decade, as well as a lowered tax rate for a further fifty years.
I'm really tired

Sanabel
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:13 am

I've had it up to here with the OOC dick waving, alliance/economic proposals, and nonsensical ideas for land purchases.

Stop, everyone, lest there be consequences.
The interregnum is over- I am once again the OP of the Land of the Free RP

I am a Radical Centro-Transhumanist and a National Globalist.
If you don't have a high enough IQ to know what those are, then we can't be friends.

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Dutch Republic » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:14 am

The Holy Dominion of Inesea wrote:Rattanakosin is willing to buy Cochinchina and Annam for 80 Million Guilders in the form of gold bullion, gemstones, and other trade goods paid out over the next decade. The Dutch would retain leases on the major port facilities for that decade, as well as a lowered tax rate for a further fifty years.

Too late. It's Japan's. I'm paying him 100 million guilders and giving him leases on naval bases in Korea and the Izu Islands.

Conwy-shire wrote:

Liecthenbourg wrote:

New Rnclave
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 18, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Rnclave » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:17 am

Sanabel wrote:I've had it up to here with the OOC dick waving, alliance/economic proposals, and nonsensical ideas for land purchases.

New Guinea was my only nonsensical idea.
Finland SSR wrote: Sex is a form of competitive martial arts, after all.
Hate. HATE. Were I Human...
I Think I Would Die of It.

Beat it, Toots. These Streets Ain't What They Used to Be

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:17 am

The Holy Dominion of Inesea wrote:Rattanakosin is willing to buy Cochinchina and Annam for 80 Million Guilders in the form of gold bullion, gemstones, and other trade goods paid out over the next decade. The Dutch would retain leases on the major port facilities for that decade, as well as a lowered tax rate for a further fifty years.

Too late. It's Japan's. I'm paying him 100 million guilders and giving him leases on naval bases in Korea and the Izu Islands.

No it's not. Nothing has been signed IC. OOC agreements matter not.

And you've not made any effort to make loans or make a purchasing plan, which would be needed if you're spending 10% of your national GDP.

If you don't have a high enough IQ to know what those are, then we can't be friends.

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 20, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:18 am

Just a reminder:

paying a hundred million guilders in 1898 is going to leave you bankrupt, unable to pay your soldiers and your civil servants.
The name's James. James Usari. Well, my name is not actually James Usari, so don't bother actually looking it up, but it'll do for now.
Lack of a real name means compensation through a real face. My debt is settled
Part-time Kebab tycoon in Glasgow.

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:18 am

New Rnclave wrote:
Sanabel wrote:I've had it up to here with the OOC dick waving, alliance/economic proposals, and nonsensical ideas for land purchases.

New Guinea was my only nonsensical idea.

Better be.

Now finish your app before I open up your reservation.

Liecthenbourg
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Liecthenbourg » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:18 am

Great Confederacy Of Commonwealth States wrote:
The Greater Dutch Republic wrote:Too late. It's Japan's. I'm paying him 100 million guilders and giving him leases on naval bases in Korea and the Izu Islands.

Just a reminder:

paying a hundred million guilders in 1898 is going to leave you bankrupt, unable to pay your soldiers and your civil servants.

Hence those aforementioned loans :P
Impeach Ernest Jacquinot Legalise Shooting Communists The Gold Standard Needs To Be Abolished Duclerque 1919
Grand-Master of the Kyluminati

The Region of Kylaris
I'm just a simple Kylarite, trying to make my way on NS.

The Gaullican Republic,
I thank God for Three Things:
Kylaris, the death of Esquarium, and Prem <3

The Transtsabaran Federation and The Chistovodian Workers' State

To understand European history watch these: Cultural erosion, German and Italian history, a brief history of Germany.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse