NATION

PASSWORD

The Titans (Portal to the Multiverse RP Group)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:54 pm

Dyelli Beybi wrote:I've had a very vague idea for a sci-fi char RP vaguely inspired by Farscape (of anyone else remembers that show):

• Bunch of prisoners take over a prison transport and end up on the run.
  • RP is essentially cooperative. People can play former guards, political prisons, POWs, thieves, murderers, whatever, but they essentially need to keep running or end up getting blasted to bits.
  • Design your own alien or play the lone human!

Does that kernel of an idea interest anyone else in the group? I much prefer seeing these things up as a team.

I have an interest.
A light in casing is still a light.
Tomorrow is made today.
You can't stop progress, but you can direct it's course.

Kylantha
Minister

Founded: Jan 22, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kylantha » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:21 pm

Dyelli Beybi wrote:I've had a very vague idea for a sci-fi char RP vaguely inspired by Farscape (of anyone else remembers that show):

• Bunch of prisoners take over a prison transport and end up on the run.
  • RP is essentially cooperative. People can play former guards, political prisons, POWs, thieves, murderers, whatever, but they essentially need to keep running or end up getting blasted to bits.
  • Design your own alien or play the lone human!

Does that kernel of an idea interest anyone else in the group? I much prefer seeing these things up as a team.

I like. Kuhle.

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Founded: Antiquity
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:17 am

Glad you two think the idea has potential!

I was thinking a bit further on it and have come up with some more ideas that borrow from Farscape/Stargate/other sci- tropes. I would love to know what you think.

• The background is two big, unpleasant empires rule over a sector of the galaxy and are engaged is a cold-war that is escalating towards a hot one. Between them is a neutral zone full of pirates, smugglers and small independent states. The zone is left alone as if either empire committed the ships, troops and resources to pacify the area they would expose themselves to attack from the other empire.
  • Empire number 1 are cruel callous conquerors who use slave labour to power their economy. Conquered aliens effectively have no rights but can gain citizenship through military service (if they are lucky enough not to be enslaved).
  • Empire 2 mostly see other species as food. They would be technologically superior and physically more capable than the primary species in Empire 1, but have a disadvantage in numbers.
  • The RP would start off on a prison barge belonging to Empire 1. All prisoners are supposed to be in stasis but the barge is overloaded and a lot have just been shut into make-shift cells. The unfrozen prisoners break out, possibly assisted by disloyal guards and take over. The ship gets a bit damaged meaning repairs are needed and stasis pods may randomly defrost. The stasis pod bit adds a mechanic to bring latecomers into the RP and allows for some creative story arcs.
  • Humans exist only as the crew of an exploratory vessel that got picked up shortly before the launch of the IC.
  • And, because I thought it would be funny (and play to a lot of old school sci fi tropes)... Humans look a lot like some species that Empire 2 find particularly delicious.
  • The plot would be divided up into fairly short episodic adventures that could be set on the ship or a planet or anywhere the plot writer wants! Preferably it wouldn't be me writing every episode.

If you folks are interested we could set up a discord to brainstorm some ideas then bring it back to the board when we have a concept for an OOC? Anyone else who is interested would be welcome to join in.
Last edited by Dyelli Beybi on Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:41 pm

Dyelli Beybi wrote:Glad you two think the idea has potential!

I was thinking a bit further on it and have come up with some more ideas that borrow from Farscape/Stargate/other sci- tropes. I would love to know what you think.

• The background is two big, unpleasant empires rule over a sector of the galaxy and are engaged is a cold-war that is escalating towards a hot one. Between them is a neutral zone full of pirates, smugglers and small independent states. The zone is left alone as if either empire committed the ships, troops and resources to pacify the area they would expose themselves to attack from the other empire.
  • Empire number 1 are cruel callous conquerors who use slave labour to power their economy. Conquered aliens effectively have no rights but can gain citizenship through military service (if they are lucky enough not to be enslaved).
  • Empire 2 mostly see other species as food. They would be technologically superior and physically more capable than the primary species in Empire 1, but have a disadvantage in numbers.
  • The RP would start off on a prison barge belonging to Empire 1. All prisoners are supposed to be in stasis but the barge is overloaded and a lot have just been shut into make-shift cells. The unfrozen prisoners break out, possibly assisted by disloyal guards and take over. The ship gets a bit damaged meaning repairs are needed and stasis pods may randomly defrost. The stasis pod bit adds a mechanic to bring latecomers into the RP and allows for some creative story arcs.
  • Humans exist only as the crew of an exploratory vessel that got picked up shortly before the launch of the IC.
  • And, because I thought it would be funny (and play to a lot of old school sci fi tropes)... Humans look a lot like some species that Empire 2 find particularly delicious.
  • The plot would be divided up into fairly short episodic adventures that could be set on the ship or a planet or anywhere the plot writer wants! Preferably it wouldn't be me writing every episode.

If you folks are interested we could set up a discord to brainstorm some ideas then bring it back to the board when we have a concept for an OOC? Anyone else who is interested would be welcome to join in.

I'm up for the implementation of these concepts. Compels the Player characters to really be roguish as between those two such a life is preferable.
Tomorrow is made today.

Kylantha
Minister

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kylantha » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:12 pm

By the way I do not know what Farscape is. I just liked the idea. e.e

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:08 pm

Relatively obscure early 90s sci-fi TV show. It's not all that important really, I'm just acknowledging where I got my ideas from. This RP will be something original.

I'm going to be away for a few days with no computer (just my phone which isn't so good for typing). I'll keep thinking about this and will start writing stuff up when I get back. If anyone has any ideas that you think would be cool to include, let me know!

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:56 pm

Dyelli Beybi wrote:Relatively obscure early 90s sci-fi TV show. It's not all that important really, I'm just acknowledging where I got my ideas from. This RP will be something original.

I'm going to be away for a few days with no computer (just my phone which isn't so good for typing). I'll keep thinking about this and will start writing stuff up when I get back. If anyone has any ideas that you think would be cool to include, let me know!

Not sure if you have in mind what the the species of Empire 2 looks like but my suggestion is space honey badger.
Tomorrow is made today.

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:24 am

Harbertia wrote:Not sure if you have in mind what the the species of Empire 2 looks like but my suggestion is space honey badger.

I had been thinking of something reptilian, but I like your idea more.

Only thing I was sure I didn't want to do was a bug/hive mind so that people can create one of that species as a character. They'd be a bit overpowered in combat but would have to deal with the fact that everyone in the galaxy loathes them.

Reckon you could find a picture we could use?
Last edited by Dyelli Beybi on Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:26 am

Dyelli Beybi wrote:
Harbertia wrote:Not sure if you have in mind what the the species of Empire 2 looks like but my suggestion is space honey badger.

Only thing I was sure I didn't want to do was a bug/hive mind so that people can create one of that species as a character. They'd be a bit overpowered in combat but would have to deal with the fact that everyone in the galaxy loathes them.

I actually want to play a reptillian whose species is that of empire 2 but didn't think I could actually play a member of empire 2's species. So I suggested honey badger to you so I could be a reptillian huntress.

Knowing I can be a member of Empire 2's species and that you want them to be reptillian I can indeed find some image. I am thinking they are like lizard snakes.

For obvious reasons my character will have a lot of conflict to work out internally and externally. I have a hope but know that situations may not play out to reach such points as having friends, and being casual (but I can hope). I fully expect she'll have to gain trust and in a number of cases be seen as a liability when her people are involved. So I must devise a situation (akin to the blue priestess of farscspe) that makes such easier.

I can imagine her as some one who would say lines like;

Person: "Don't your people play games?"

Her: "I play games. I can play many games. Hide and seek is my favorite. You hide I seek. Looser provides lunch to the winner."

Human: "But it's hide and seek, how does the seeker loose?"

Her: "They give up. I do not plan to."

Person: (to Human) "You never won a game as the hiding one I take it?"

Other Human:(coming around a corner into the lounge) "Whose lunch?"

Her: "No one's lunch."

Other Human: "Swear I heard someone say something about providing lunch."

Her: (scaly hand to face) "Oh... that was me."

Other Human: "You cook?"

Everyone but her: *laughs*

Her: (agitated) "No...."
Last edited by Harbertia on Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:10 am, edited 8 times in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:09 am

Harbertia wrote:
Dyelli Beybi wrote:

I actually want to play a reptillian whose species is that of empire 2 but didn't think I could actually play a member of empire 2's species. So I suggested honey badger to you so I could be a reptillian huntress.

Knowing I can be a member of Empire 2's species and that you want them to be reptillian I can indeed find some image. I am thinking they are like lizard snakes.

For obvious reasons my character will have a lot of conflict to work out internally and externally. I have a hope but know that situations may not play out to reach such points as having friends, and being casual (but I can hope). I fully expect she'll have to gain trust and in a number of cases be seen as a liability when her people are involved. So I must devise a situation (akin to the blue priestess of farscspe) that makes such easier.

Her: "I play games. I can play many games. Hide and seek is my favorite. You hide I seek. Looser provides lunch to the winner."

Cool! Lol I think that char would work well with the pilot character I was designing...

You remember I mentioned a human looking race who have been nearly wiped out by predation? I was going to write the ship's pilot as one of them with a big chip on their shoulder and a violent temper.

I think I will put up an interest/world-building thread later today so we don't spam the Titans group to death lol and maybe attract some outsiders.

Would you be interested in designing that race/empire?

I was thinking of basing the appearance of the main race for the 1st Empire on Shadowrun Elves for purely practical reasons (They will probably be the most numerous race in the RP and there are HEAPS of art images of them on the net, plus they are a very generic humanoid shape with no odd bone spurs, crests etc - which would allow most other races I see people designing to use their stuff without too much trouble).

Caber
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Caber » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:41 am

Nation Name: Caber
Interests/Genres/Fandoms: Sci-Fi, Halo, warhammer 40k, destiny, Modern, WW1, WW2, Military, Medieval. Anything really.
Will not participate in: Probably not in diplomatic RP's, Ones that use NS stats, School RP's.
Activity (how often you post): I sometimes go through long periods of inactivity, but when involved in something I log on almost every day.
Time Zone (optional): EST
Do you hope to contribute?: Very much so.
RP Example (If this is your first write an average post):
One of my works from an RP called On This Island
Alexandros Kermas
The ship crashed into the shore and Alexandros was thrown several feet forward by the force of the impact into a a fallen piece of railing that sprinted into fragments when he rammed into it. Several small wooden splinters embedded themselves into his back and lower neck, the feeling from the wood was nothing compared the agonizing pain in his foot, he let out a cry of pain as he impacted the rail and was thrown into a spasm of pain before regaining himself enough to look around. He heard the man that had picked him up before the ship crashed yell out for him and Edward.

'' I'm over here, i'm fine too. Where is Edward?'' Alexandros screamed back toward the man and looked for Edward before hearing a cry for help from the prow of the ship. Turning around to face the source of the sound.

Several cultists were coming up the fallen mast of the ship towards the prisoners on board, Alexandros looked around him for any sort of ranged weapon as he wouldn't be any help in a melee. To his left the corpse of a prisoner with two arrows in his chest still held his bow tight in his left hand and a quiver of arrows around his waist, picking up the bow he saw that it was not of good quality a standard wooden bow with a cheap string, the arrows were not much better simple wooden shafts with iron heads and bird feathers at the base.

It'll have to do Thought Alexandros as he strung an arrow. Looking back towards the cultists he noted that a couple were dead on the ship and even more were surrounding a prisoner using a spear to poke at them, he aimed at a cultist to the left of the spear using man and loosed the arrow. It found it's mark in his unprotected skull, immediately Alexandros strung another and let it fly towards another cultist this one went wide and embedded itself into the charred wood of the fallen mast near the foot of another cultist wearing a leather chest piece and weilding a short iron sword. He looked down towards the arrow then looked straight at Alexandros and jumped onto the ship, running straight for Alex. He quickly strung an arrow and aimed at the man's throat.

''Die bastard!'' He screamed as the arrow flew towards the cultist and hit him in the stomach just below the breast of the man, the cultist stumbled back, blood dripping down from the arrow embedded in his chest, he grabbed it by the shaft and pulled it out with a roar before throwing it to the deck and continued to run at Alexandros. Alexandros looked around for anything he could use to fight against the man, his bag was near the railing he had crashed into, he reached out a hand and grabbed the bag, the cultist was on top of Alex about to thrust his sword into his belly. Alex swung his bag around hoping that the mace would hit first, the man pushed his sword forward as the bag swung and the two connected the mace hit the cultist in the hand breaking it with a loud crack. The cultist screamed and fell to his knees clutching his limp and bleeding hand, Alexandros took no time off and swung his bag around in the opposite direction making contact with the cultists head, nearly taking it off and leaving a bloody dent in the man's skull as it fell lifelessly towards the deck of the ship. Alexandros placed the bag near him on the deck and picked up the bow again looking for more cultists.
Proud member of TWI

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:24 pm

Caber wrote:Nation Name: Caber
Interests/Genres/Fandoms: Sci-Fi, Halo, warhammer 40k, destiny, Modern, WW1, WW2, Military, Medieval. Anything really.
Will not participate in: Probably not in diplomatic RP's, Ones that use NS stats, School RP's.
Activity (how often you post): I sometimes go through long periods of inactivity, but when involved in something I log on almost every day.
Time Zone (optional): EST
Do you hope to contribute?: Very much so.
RP Example (If this is your first write an average post):
One of my works from an RP called On This Island
Alexandros Kermas
The ship crashed into the shore and Alexandros was thrown several feet forward by the force of the impact into a a fallen piece of railing that sprinted into fragments when he rammed into it. Several small wooden splinters embedded themselves into his back and lower neck, the feeling from the wood was nothing compared the agonizing pain in his foot, he let out a cry of pain as he impacted the rail and was thrown into a spasm of pain before regaining himself enough to look around. He heard the man that had picked him up before the ship crashed yell out for him and Edward.

'' I'm over here, i'm fine too. Where is Edward?'' Alexandros screamed back toward the man and looked for Edward before hearing a cry for help from the prow of the ship. Turning around to face the source of the sound.

Several cultists were coming up the fallen mast of the ship towards the prisoners on board, Alexandros looked around him for any sort of ranged weapon as he wouldn't be any help in a melee. To his left the corpse of a prisoner with two arrows in his chest still held his bow tight in his left hand and a quiver of arrows around his waist, picking up the bow he saw that it was not of good quality a standard wooden bow with a cheap string, the arrows were not much better simple wooden shafts with iron heads and bird feathers at the base.

It'll have to do Thought Alexandros as he strung an arrow. Looking back towards the cultists he noted that a couple were dead on the ship and even more were surrounding a prisoner using a spear to poke at them, he aimed at a cultist to the left of the spear using man and loosed the arrow. It found it's mark in his unprotected skull, immediately Alexandros strung another and let it fly towards another cultist this one went wide and embedded itself into the charred wood of the fallen mast near the foot of another cultist wearing a leather chest piece and weilding a short iron sword. He looked down towards the arrow then looked straight at Alexandros and jumped onto the ship, running straight for Alex. He quickly strung an arrow and aimed at the man's throat.

''Die bastard!'' He screamed as the arrow flew towards the cultist and hit him in the stomach just below the breast of the man, the cultist stumbled back, blood dripping down from the arrow embedded in his chest, he grabbed it by the shaft and pulled it out with a roar before throwing it to the deck and continued to run at Alexandros. Alexandros looked around for anything he could use to fight against the man, his bag was near the railing he had crashed into, he reached out a hand and grabbed the bag, the cultist was on top of Alex about to thrust his sword into his belly. Alex swung his bag around hoping that the mace would hit first, the man pushed his sword forward as the bag swung and the two connected the mace hit the cultist in the hand breaking it with a loud crack. The cultist screamed and fell to his knees clutching his limp and bleeding hand, Alexandros took no time off and swung his bag around in the opposite direction making contact with the cultists head, nearly taking it off and leaving a bloody dent in the man's skull as it fell lifelessly towards the deck of the ship. Alexandros placed the bag near him on the deck and picked up the bow again looking for more cultists.

Welcome to the group.
Tomorrow is made today.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:47 pm

Dyelli Beybi wrote:
Harbertia wrote:I actually want to play a reptillian whose species is that of empire 2 but didn't think I could actually play a member of empire 2's species. So I suggested honey badger to you so I could be a reptillian huntress.

Cool! Lol I think that char would work well with the pilot character I was designing...

You remember I mentioned a human looking race who have been nearly wiped out by predation? I was going to write the ship's pilot as one of them with a big chip on their shoulder and a violent temper.

I think I will put up an interest/world-building thread later today so we don't spam the Titans group to death lol and maybe attract some outsiders.

Would you be interested in designing that race/empire?

I was thinking of basing the appearance of the main race for the 1st Empire on Shadowrun Elves for purely practical reasons (They will probably be the most numerous race in the RP and there are HEAPS of art images of them on the net, plus they are a very generic humanoid shape with no odd bone spurs, crests etc - which would allow most other races I see people designing to use their stuff without too much trouble).

I think that indeed the pilot and this character will go well together. Also that the Shadowrun Elves is a great option for the 1st Empire.

Until you get a World building thread up here are two image I found as potential for the representing the predatory reptilian race.

initial proposal

large more human like proposal;
complete with space elf captive

Society wise I should be able to draw upon some previous works to devise it. I imagine them as a large race capable of making use of their size to prey upon hominoids though they could indeed be more human in size. The great size simply seemed natural as most hunters are larger then their prey.

More unique options exists but they are harder to find images for.
Last edited by Harbertia on Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:25 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

Caber
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Caber » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:10 pm

Harbertia wrote:Welcome to the group.

Thanks hope I can really contribute.
Proud member of TWI

Kylantha
Minister

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kylantha » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:44 am

Ah. Hm. I misunderstood one of the above posts and assumed that the second Empire is a conglomeration of predatory species rather than just one.

I was considering playing a character like this.

Of deceptively small stature, immensely strong and durable; ravenous and short-tempered, but quite clever.
Last edited by Kylantha on Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:05 am

Kylantha wrote:Ah. Hm. I misunderstood one of the above posts and assumed that the second Empire is a conglomeration of predatory species rather than just one.

Of deceptively small stature, immensely strong and durable; ravenous and short-tempered, but quite clever.

Empire 2 mostly see other species as food. .... but have a disadvantage in numbers.

There is only one seat at the top of the food chain, and they ain't sharing it thus the fewer numbers compared to Empire one which does integrate other species.

Empire number 1 are cruel callous conquerors who use slave labour to power their economy. Conquered aliens effectively have no rights but can gain citizenship through military service (if they are lucky enough not to be enslaved).

In that regards, your people would be rivals of Empire 2 who where conquered and enslaved by Empire 1 under-whom the prison ship is controlled (before our revolt). You character's short temper and cunning lent them to the doing of a task which landed them on the vessel.

Edit: Realisticly speaking, in order for Empire 2 to have other predatory species it'd have to be a commercial Empire built around the food industry (like the Glukkons from Oddworld). Yes they would still see other species as food but also customers (potential livestock) and employees (disposable employees).
Last edited by Harbertia on Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:35 am, edited 4 times in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

Kylantha
Minister

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kylantha » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:43 am

Harbertia wrote:
Kylantha wrote:Ah. Hm. I misunderstood one of the above posts and assumed that the second Empire is a conglomeration of predatory species rather than just one.

Empire 2 mostly see other species as food. .... but have a disadvantage in numbers.

There is only one seat at the top of the food chain, and they ain't sharing it thus the fewer numbers compared to Empire one which does integrate other species.

Empire number 1 are cruel callous conquerors who use slave labour to power their economy. Conquered aliens effectively have no rights but can gain citizenship through military service (if they are lucky enough not to be enslaved).

In that regards, your people would be rivals of Empire 2 who where conquered and enslaved by Empire 1 under-whom the prison ship is controlled (before our revolt). You character's short temper and cunning lent them to the doing of a task which landed them on the vessel.

Edit: Realisticly speaking, in order for Empire 2 to have other predatory species it'd have to be a commercial Empire built around the food industry (like the Glukkons from Oddworld). Yes they would still see other species as food but also customers (potential livestock) and employees (disposable employees).

Ah, ah. I read that, I swear... But it seems it didn't register. The whole Glukkon-like society is what I was thinking of though. A union of predatory species that runs a food business.

As for the character, I wasn't really thinking of its species as a whole. Until now, anyways. Perhaps its species was conquered, but after a very long and costly war. Empire 1 lost a lot trying to overpower the little aliens, and in the end had to exterminate a large portion of their population in order to subjugate them. The character I was thinking of could be a fugitive veteran or a sort of new blood that tried to bring its species back to its former glory.

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:28 pm

Kylantha wrote:
Harbertia wrote:Empire 2 mostly see other species as food. .... but have a disadvantage in numbers.

Ah, ah. I read that, I swear... But it seems it didn't register. The whole Glukkon-like society is what I was thinking of though. A union of predatory species that runs a food business.

As for the character, I wasn't really thinking of its species as a whole. Until now, anyways. Perhaps its species was conquered, but after a very long and costly war. Empire 1 lost a lot trying to overpower the little aliens, and in the end had to exterminate a large portion of their population in order to subjugate them. The character I was thinking of could be a fugitive veteran or a sort of new blood that tried to bring its species back to its former glory.

One thing that might make sense would be a brief, costly war that results in your people being recruited as auxiliaries... A bit like the RL Anglo-Nepalese war that led to the Gurkha regiments you see in a number of commonwealth countries today. I imagine Empire 1 to be a bit more pragmatic... Lol we need names for the two of them!

Apologies for being a bit slow with a world building thread... Trying to post on a cellphone is hard work :p

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:52 pm

Dyelli Beybi wrote:
Kylantha wrote:Ah, ah. I read that, I swear... But it seems it didn't register. The whole Glukkon-like society is what I was thinking of though. A union of predatory species that runs a food business.

One thing that might make sense would be a brief, costly war that results in your people being recruited as auxiliaries... A bit like the RL Anglo-Nepalese war that led to the Gurkha regiments you see in a number of commonwealth countries today. I imagine Empire 1 to be a bit more pragmatic... Lol we need names for the two of them!

Apologies for being a bit slow with a world building thread... Trying to post on a cellphone is hard work :p

The Edren and Ragon Empires.
Tomorrow is made today.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:00 pm

THE WORLD OF ZID: THE DRAGON QUEEN (OOC)

INTRO: The World of Zid is a Fantasy RPG noted for allowing player characters to have a major impact on the world as events move forward making it's world more of a collaborative effort then the product of a single mind. Events in previous RPs have lead up to this moment but you need not have taken part in them to be involved in deciding the future of the city of Zid. In this RP you will join one of two factions and work towards it's goals either as a total loyalist to it's cause or a moderate looking for a middle path- hoping to prevent a destructive civil war.

BACKGROUND: Centuries ago, after the Dragon Wars, General Ethanial Zid returned to his hometown of Zid with an army and restored order where it had been lost when the Dragonic Rulers fell. With him was an egg which hatched into a blue dragon hatching he named 'Elenor' whom he took into his family as a daughter. He became the first Sorcerer King of Zid. Ethanials Great-Grand Son, Kalcipher Zid, lead the small city state into a conquest in the name of unifying mankind. He rode into battle upon Elenor's shoulders. He was brilliant and with her conquered much of the eastern free holds- including the famed Knights of Elone. A coalition was formed against him and drove the Kingdom of Zid back to the city where Kalcipher fell. What happened next was considered it would seem such an embarrassment that no full record exists of it- only that peace was declared with Elenor being recognized as Queen of Zid.

The Dragon Queen set about restoring the city and ruling it directly but she soon became too large for the city and moved into the mountains. There she became distant, relying on the Wizards of Zid- an order of Magi- to administer the city to her specifications. The Wizards enforced the laws, and ran a bureaucratic system of governance with various circles with in the order having authorities over different realms of affairs- agriculture, sanitation, etc. The only one who could speak to Elenor without a summons was the Grandmaster of the Wizards of Zid from whom she recieved all details of state . From her came the law, and high judgement.

She gained a reputation as a benevolent mistress- allowing great liberty to her citizens and by all accounts being deeply concerned for their well being. She didn't take part in another war, having promised long ago as part of that peace to only wage such defensively. When the Alterran Empire (which formed from the coalition that formed against Kalcipher long ago) was threated she refused their request for aid as it went against the treaty that ended the war long ago. When the Dragon of Colm asked for her aid against the Alterran Empire she refused. When the Alterrans asked for her aid against the Dragon of Colm she refused as the treaty that ended the Dragon Wars forbids Dragons from slaying one another and such would go against the treaty that ended the war with Zid.

She largely sent her Wizards to find magical relics and books for her collection and the order's use. Zid's become known as the 'University City of Wizards' with a number of the order serving as advisers in far off lands. Even with all this, years of living in the mountain filled her with loneliness and she prepared to depart for the far North where most of her kind migrated after the Dragon Wars. She instructed the wall to be repaired, and discussed with Grandmaster Othello the formation of a regency council. The protection of Zid would be in her absence the responsibility of the Wizards of Zid.

When she did depart life was generally peaceful as usual until the City was attacked- and the Wizards lost a great many of their numbers. For what ever reason the regency refused to establish an army even after that, insisting the mages where enough but the damage done would show otherwise. The Wizards largely held to Elenor's laws but have passed a few of their own with legislation in their hands. For the first time in centuries the city has been ruled by Humans alone; Humans who have rose in the ranks of the order to be appointed to positions of their specialty. It was a simple evolution from the bureaucracy- and has been evolving into something of a parliament in Elenor's long absence.

But now, after decades of self rule- Elenor has returned and expects the Regency to step down. The Regency Council is refusing- the tension of this situation has trickled into the streets as the people fear what could happen. Elenor has announced that she'll be taking a more active role- having realized how distant she'd become- and taken the decades to reflect on her negligence- the attack and it's poor repulsion has convinced her that she's still needed in Zid, and can not allow herself to again go into isolation. She intends to expand her cavern chambers into a palace capable of housing a court, diplomats, and servants to maker herself more accessible not only to the Wizards but the people she cares for.

The Wizards are concerned that her direct rule will see their long held powers diminish and with that migrate power more from the people to Elenor directly. Elenor's known as benevolent but the order feels such is because she's not been active in ruling for centuries- only dictating the law and foreign relations. They see her move as a power grab the likes of which they are not prepared for and one they feel will dash their efforts at establishing a full magocracy of which they where working towards under the assumption that Elenor wasn't returning. It was something they made public not too long ago- and that adds to their concerns.

The Factions

LOYALISTS
The Dragon Queen has returned after her long absence, the regency's reign will soon end. Elenor has only ever acted in our interests, and it's because of her we experience peace. The treaties are with her- not with Zid. If we kick her out we'll be vulnerable to aggression and open to wage war with others. The Wizards hold powers immense and power has a way of corrupting a mortal heart. Elenor keeps them from having all the power they desire over us, it's her laws- not their laws we follow. The laws of ancient wisdom, not laws meant to better the status of mages into some aristocracy. She protects us not only from foreign aggression but from the Wizards who execute her will- or did before the regency. She'll have them under control soon enough. With a renewed focus on the city, efforts to rebuild it- to restore it- we can hope for a better tomorrow. The only future the magocrats are bringing is a war they can not win, they would turn on our protector who has only ever shown herself to be a caring almost maternal being.

MAGOCRATS
The Dragon has returned after her long absence to have found our city in poor condition. Many blame us for the failed defense but they ere. We failed because we have become too dependent on the She-Dragon for protection. She will not live for ever, she will pass eventually. We cannot continue to rely on her. If we do not break our dependency what will happen when she passes? It'll be worse then the attack we have experienced by an unknown foe. Far worse, it will be the fall of Zid for our decedents will be even less prepared. The ignorant believe she's beyond our vice, they do not consider what she was - what she could be again. Anyone can fall back into old habits. Our path weather they understand it or not is giving them power- anyone with enough study can become a Wizard with the best leading us. If one is using aristocracy for 'rule of the best' you are correct, but otherwise you are very mislead regarding our governance and what we are striving for. A public rather then private government of learned specialists overseeing the legal, judicial, and executive functions of our state. Is that not better then a state governed from a distance? She left the city to her cave before, she'll do it again- she's too large to be involved in more practical ways and that's best for us all.

KEY FIGURES

The Dragon Queen Elenor of the Kingdom of Zid
Elenor is a massive blue-silver dragon who has ruled Zid for centuries. Her head alone is 3 meters from snout to back and 2 1/2 meters from jaw to the top of her head. Elenor has had legislative power and power over foreign affairs having migrated other powers to the Wizards before the regency was established. She''ll now be restoring her old powers and reclaiming the ones she had bestowed upon the Wizards long ago- effectively destroying the power the Wizards have over the city. Elenor is know for her religious tolerance, while officially a Traditionalist herself (having been brought up in such a faith by the old Sorcerer Kings) she's tolerate of the Righteous and Naturalist. But her reluctance to embrace the high position set upon her by the Dragon Cutlist makes her off putting to them. Her laws forbid Necromancy (speaking with the dead, raising the dead, and other manipulation of the dead) and the Order under her followed such but would from time to time bring up a case for it's regulation- a lifting of the total ban and implementation of forbidden and permitted acts of the art. But despite how useful it could be in investigation and judicial proceedings she's stayed firm- insisting the dead rest. Taxation under Elenor was collected, as it presently is, by the Wizards. She owns an expansion of pasture for her own sustenance, which has been kept by a hired tenant. Debters can donate livestock to the state (Elenor) to forgive some of the debt. As Elenor has grown so too has the size of the pasture, and thus some lands have had to be acquired for such expansion. Her presence alone has kept other states from assaulting the City of Zid, and the treaties currently are bound to her- with her personally. Elenor has mostly kept to her cave save to feed in those fields (she realized that hunting the forests only damaged them and scared game away from the local hunters), and to patrol the skies. Only the Grandmaster of the Order or those summoned by her have been allowed to meet Elenor- until now. Due to the recent split she's open her cave to - anyone brave enough to address her. It was one of the announcements she made upon her return. The rest regarded her plans for furthering her powers and influence.

Othello, Grandmaster of the Wizards of Zid- Head of the Regency Council
Once Elenor's favorite Grandmaster Othello has along with the combined resistance of the Council displeased Elenor. He lost many of his students during the defense of the city, and working towards the creation of the new Magocracy has been a way of copping. Now that Elenor has returned he feels his students died for a dream that will never be if Elenor has her way. Othello has lead the Regency for decades now- as head of the council. During his time in such a role the use of necromancy has been permitted and used for investigation and trial; as the Order has long been wanting to broaden it's craft. With Elenor gone the ability to have debt forgiven by exchanging livestock has been suspended. The religious tolerance of the state has remained but to take on the legislative and foriegn powers of Elenor (during her absence) the council had to create political bodies to handle both functions. They did not dare give in to requests for objects form Elenor's collection, and thus an issue with the state of Elone has continued. The identity of the attacks still remains unknown despite the powers of the Magi suggesting more at work with that attack. Elenor takes this as a sign of incompetence, some people see it as apathy, and a number are concerned what it could mean.

Character Application
Code: Select all
[b]Race[/b]: (most of the natives are Human but as a university city others do join the order and thus you can find Elves, Half Elves, and Spritling among the population. Alterran students who took to living here brought a population of Kobolds with them. Other races are a hardly notable minority in the population)
[b]Faction[/b]: Loyalist or Magocrat
[b]Reason for Side[/b]:
[b]Name[/b]:
[b]Gender[/b]:
[b]Personality[/b]: (While not required it's suggested one incorporate two virtues and one fatal flaw into the personality in order to create a rounded character)
[b]Bio[/b]:
Last edited by Harbertia on Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:54 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:41 am

Harbertia wrote:

INTRO: The World of Zid is a Fantasy RPG noted for allowing player characters to have a major impact on the world as events move forward making it's world more of a collaborative effort then the product of a single mind. Events in previous RPs have lead up to this moment but you need not have taken part in them to be involved in deciding the future of the city of Zid. In this RP you will join one of two factions and work towards it's goals either as a total loyalist to it's cause or a moderate looking for a middle path- hoping to prevent a destructive civil war.

BACKGROUND: Centuries ago, after the Dragon Wars, General Ethanial Zid returned to his hometown of Zid with an army and restored order where it had been lost when the Dragonic Rulers fell. With him was an egg which hatched into a blue dragon hatching he named 'Elenor' whom he took into his family as a daughter. He became the first Sorcerer King of Zid. Ethanials Great-Grand Son, Kalcipher Zid, lead the small city state into a conquest in the name of unifying mankind. He rode into battle upon Elenor's shoulders. He was brilliant and with her conquered much of the eastern free holds- including the famed Knights of Elone. A coalition was formed against him and drove the Kingdom of Zid back to the city where Kalcipher fell. What happened next was considered it would seem such an embarrassment that no full record exists of it- only that peace was declared with Elenor being recognized as Queen of Zid.

The Dragon Queen set about restoring the city and ruling it directly but she soon became too large for the city and moved into the mountains. There she became distant, relying on the Wizards of Zid- an order of Magi- to administer the city to her specifications. The Wizards enforced the laws, and ran a bureaucratic system of governance with various circles with in the order having authorities over different realms of affairs- agriculture, sanitation, etc. The only one who could speak to Elenor without a summons was the Grandmaster of the Wizards of Zid from whom she recieved all details of state . From her came the law, and high judgement.

She gained a reputation as a benevolent mistress- allowing great liberty to her citizens and by all accounts being deeply concerned for their well being. She didn't take part in another war, having promised long ago as part of that peace to only wage such defensively. When the Alterran Empire (which formed from the coalition that formed against Kalcipher long ago) was threated she refused their request for aid as it went against the treaty that ended the war long ago. When the Dragon of Colm asked for her aid against the Alterran Empire she refused. When the Alterrans asked for her aid against the Dragon of Colm she refused as the treaty that ended the Dragon Wars forbids Dragons from slaying one another and such would go against the treaty that ended the war with Zid.

She largely sent her Wizards to find magical relics and books for her collection and the order's use. Zid's become known as the 'University City of Wizards' with a number of the order serving as advisers in far off lands. Even with all this, years of living in the mountain filled her with loneliness and she prepared to depart for the far North where most of her kind migrated after the Dragon Wars. She instructed the wall to be repaired, and discussed with Grandmaster Othello the formation of a regency council. The protection of Zid would be in her absence the responsibility of the Wizards of Zid.

When she did depart life was generally peaceful as usual until the City was attacked- and the Wizards lost a great many of their numbers. For what ever reason the regency refused to establish an army even after that, insisting the mages where enough but the damage done would show otherwise. The Wizards largely held to Elenor's laws but have passed a few of their own with legislation in their hands. For the first time in centuries the city has been ruled by Humans alone; Humans who have rose in the ranks of the order to be appointed to positions of their specialty. It was a simple evolution from the bureaucracy- and has been evolving into something of a parliament in Elenor's long absence.

But now, after decades of self rule- Elenor has returned and expects the Regency to step down. The Regency Council is refusing- the tension of this situation has trickled into the streets as the people fear what could happen. Elenor has announced that she'll be taking a more active role- having realized how distant she'd become- and taken the decades to reflect on her negligence- the attack and it's poor repulsion has convinced her that she's still needed in Zid, and can not allow herself to again go into isolation. She intends to expand her cavern chambers into a palace capable of housing a court, diplomats, and servants to maker herself more accessible not only to the Wizards but the people she cares for.

The Wizards are concerned that her direct rule will see their long held powers diminish and with that migrate power more from the people to Elenor directly. Elenor's known as benevolent but the order feels such is because she's not been active in ruling for centuries- only dictating the law and foreign relations. They see her move as a power grab the likes of which they are not prepared for and one they feel will dash their efforts at establishing a full magocracy of which they where working towards under the assumption that Elenor wasn't returning. It was something they made public not too long ago- and that adds to their concerns.

The Factions

LOYALISTS
(Image)
The Dragon Queen has returned after her long absence, the regency's reign will soon end. Elenor has only ever acted in our interests, and it's because of her we experience peace. The treaties are with her- not with Zid. If we kick her out we'll be vulnerable to aggression and open to wage war with others. The Wizards hold powers immense and power has a way of corrupting a mortal heart. Elenor keeps them from having all the power they desire over us, it's her laws- not their laws we follow. The laws of ancient wisdom, not laws meant to better the status of mages into some aristocracy. She protects us not only from foreign aggression but from the Wizards who execute her will- or did before the regency. She'll have them under control soon enough. With a renewed focus on the city, efforts to rebuild it- to restore it- we can hope for a better tomorrow. The only future the magocrats are bringing is a war they can not win, they would turn on our protector who has only ever shown herself to be a caring almost maternal being.

MAGOCRATS
(Image)
The Dragon has returned after her long absence to have found our city in poor condition. Many blame us for the failed defense but they ere. We failed because we have become too dependent on the She-Dragon for protection. She will not live for ever, she will pass eventually. We cannot continue to rely on her. If we do not break our dependency what will happen when she passes? It'll be worse then the attack we have experienced by an unknown foe. Far worse, it will be the fall of Zid for our decedents will be even less prepared. The ignorant believe she's beyond our vice, they do not consider what she was - what she could be again. Anyone can fall back into old habits. Our path weather they understand it or not is giving them power- anyone with enough study can become a Wizard with the best leading us. If one is using aristocracy for 'rule of the best' you are correct, but otherwise you are very mislead regarding our governance and what we are striving for. A public rather then private government of learned specialists overseeing the legal, judicial, and executive functions of our state. Is that not better then a state governed from a distance? She left the city to her cave before, she'll do it again- she's too large to be involved in more practical ways and that's best for us all.

KEY FIGURES

(Image)
Elenor is a massive blue-silver dragon who has ruled Zid for centuries. Her head alone is 3 meters from snout to back and 2 1/2 meters from jaw to the top of her head. Elenor has had legislative power and power over foriegn affairs having migrated other powers to the Wizards before the regency was established. She''ll now be restoring her old powers and reclaiming the ones she had surrendered long ago- effectively destroying the power the Wizards have over the city.

(Image)
Once Elenor's favorite Grandmaster Othello has along with the combined resistance of the Council displeased Elenor. He lost many of his students during the defense of the city, and working towards the creation of the new Magocracy has been a way of copping. Now that Elenor has returned he feels his students died for a dream that will never be if Elenor has her way.

Character Application
[b]Race[/b]:
[b]Name[/b]:
[b]Gender[/b]:
[b]Personality[/b]: (While not required it's suggested one incorporate two virtues and one fatal flaw into the personality in order to create a rounded character)
[b]Bio[/b]:

Looks interesting... I take it this is a continuation of an older RP?

BTW I have the interest thread for the other RP up

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=462586

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:14 am

Dyelli Beybi wrote:
Harbertia wrote:

The Factions

LOYALISTS
(Image)

MAGOCRATS
(Image)

KEY FIGURES

(Image)
Elenor is a massive blue-silver dragon who has ruled Zid for centuries. Her head alone is 3 meters from snout to back and 2 1/2 meters from jaw to the top of her head. Elenor has had legislative power and power over foriegn affairs having migrated other powers to the Wizards before the regency was established. She''ll now be restoring her old powers and reclaiming the ones she had surrendered long ago- effectively destroying the power the Wizards have over the city.

(Image)
Once Elenor's favorite Grandmaster Othello has along with the combined resistance of the Council displeased Elenor. He lost many of his students during the defense of the city, and working towards the creation of the new Magocracy has been a way of copping. Now that Elenor has returned he feels his students died for a dream that will never be if Elenor has her way.

Character Application
[b]Race[/b]:
[b]Name[/b]:
[b]Gender[/b]:
[b]Bio[/b]:

Looks interesting... I take it this is a continuation of an older RP?

BTW I have the interest thread for the other RP up

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=462586

Back in 2015 I started a fantasy RP here on NS with a simple perk to joining- player characters impact the world. The first RP I hosted in the setting didn't get far, 'Searchers in the Deep'. It was about merfolk and the setting was still being refined. Next came Wizards of Zid which is what really launched interest in the setting. It too didn't get far, the player characters where students of Othello the Grandmaster of the Wizards of Zid and Elenor (as she appoints the Grandmaster) wanted to review his best students for the potential of being the next Grandmaster (Othello is very old). I didn't tell the players that, they just thought they where being chosen for a special quest and a task would have been given. Elenor was very agitated that day. Then came a few more RPs; The Halls of Cailmax, The Knights of the Horn, The Open World of Zid, 'The LIkely Doomed Dwarven-Kobold Co-Expedition, The Last Sorcerer King (Semi-Prequel) ....

It's been a long time running but the world has reached a point that has made it different from how the world was introduced. The Alterran Empire has experienced a civil war and now fractured into smaller states (though the largest is the Alterran Empire). The Kobolds have a Confederacy now- their own nation- one of which the Dwarves tried to destroy. Elenor left the city of Zid in the care of the Wizards and the person she determined would be the next Grandmaster may or may not still live, mean while to the south a Gnoll Deathknight and a Shamaness of another Gnoll tribe are rallying the Goblins, and Gnolls of the plains to push back the expansions of Kerkland (where the Knights of the Horn RP took place) and at last destroy their ancient foes (both the knight and shameness where player characters from the open World of Zid RP).

I think Zid is special because of that liberty- it's like- if the battles in WoW actually gained territory. It's like Dragon Age, or Mass Effect- but multiplayer. Right now the world of Zid is changing, and much like the prologue of the first Lord of the Rings film I am like Galadrial uncertain of the future. So I can only keep moving events forward hoping it all turns out well in the end.

Edit: But I can get hopeful :) It's all going to chaos in my mind, so I can at least hope Elenor comes out on top for some tie to where the setting stated- with so much change her return gives me a sense of stability but I don't think the players will see that. I'm aware this will end with the lose of one of those character (Elenor or Othello) but part of me is still hopeful of a resolution- not wanting to see Zid fall into Civil War which seems- very likely that it will now. If it does and Elenor's Loyalist win I can' say it'll be better, I can only imagine what it'd do to her good reputation. Civil Wars are horrible horrid events full of .... I just think she'd come out of it no longer seen in as positive a light. The wounds of such conflicts do not easily heal. If Othello wins, and Elenor does leave or is slain- well- each of those has different impacts on the setting. I really do hope some player goes for a peaceful resolution but - like- I can't say an absolute rule by Elenor is something they'll like even if she's a very good dragon.
Last edited by Harbertia on Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

Caber
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Caber » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:19 am

Hi I’m new to the group
So for a while I’ve wanted to do a halo RP and am currently working on an idea of mine. The RP is set on Reach in the final days of the covenant invasion. The planet is being glassed and a group of UNSC personnel are trapped on Reach with no way off the planet. It’s a journey across the planet to find someway back to UNSC space.
I just wanted to see if anyone would be interested in participating or contributing considering I have little experience being the OP.
Proud member of TWI

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:22 am

Caber wrote:Hi I’m new to the group
So for a while I’ve wanted to do a halo RP and am currently working on an idea of mine. The RP is set on Reach in the final days of the covenant invasion. The planet is being glassed and a group of UNSC personnel are trapped on Reach with no way off the planet. It’s a journey across the planet to find someway back to UNSC space.
I just wanted to see if anyone would be interested in participating or contributing considering I have little experience being the OP.

I'm not someone who plays military RPs (often) and I've only in recent times gotten into the lore of Halo (I still find the XBox to be the most frustrating system I've worked with but back in High School I did play a bit of Blue vs Red). So I'm not interested in taking part in the RP but I will help you set it up as I'm great at world building and do have an interest in Halo lore- I'm just not an expert. So what I'd mostly be able to help with is presentation and getting your RP up.

Clarification: What I know comes from the lore videos by HiddenXsperia posted on Youtube and two cinematics from Halo 2 (along with all of those of Halo 3).
Last edited by Harbertia on Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

Caber
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Caber » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:58 am

Harbertia wrote:I'm just not an expert. So what I'd mostly be able to help with is presentation and getting your RP up.

Thanks that would be really helpful. I already know quite a bit about the lore so I think I’m good on that front.
Proud member of TWI

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse