NATION

PASSWORD

Athena: Fall of Europe (OOC | Closed-ish)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should chars be able to have psychic or cybernetic augmentations?

Yeah! Sounds cool and can only add to the plot.
39%
No. Determination, sweat and blood against other-worldly horrors is the way to go.
32%
Just psychic.
2%
Just cybernetic.
22%
I have my own input and will post my thoughtful ideas in the OOC.
5%

Total votes : 41

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:15 pm

Are all the characters going to be starting together somehow? If not, how are they supposed to meet up? I ask because so far we have people who were at the NATO/UN command, people who were at ATHENA HQ, and people who were just soldiers on the Line, and it doesn't seem clear how they'll all get together.
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:41 pm

All those locations are relatively close to each other. It's not like they're spread out across the continental United States. This is mainland Europe, and we're talking about a defensive line on Germany's border, with ATHENA HQ on the Netherland's coast. That's a three hour drive, at the absolute maximum. About six if you start from Berlin.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Country of glowing hearts, and patrons of the arts
Help me out
Star spangled madness, united sadness
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Don't shine for swine. - Metric, Soft Rock Star
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Why (Male) Rape Is Hilarious [because it has to be]

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:45 pm

Camicon wrote:All those locations are relatively close to each other. It's not like they're spread out across the continental United States. This is mainland Europe, and we're talking about a defensive line on Germany's border, with ATHENA HQ on the Netherland's coast. That's a three hour drive, at the absolute maximum. About six if you start from Berlin.

I know, but presumably there are other human beings in that area (if there aren't, contact may be even more difficult due to, you know, alien death machines and such). I'm just saying it's unclear how these people will be introduced to one another, given their scattered-ness, even over a relatively small area. And since their access to most vehicles is probably now at least somewhat restricted by alien layz0rz, that complicates things further.

Acroticus
Senator

Founded: Feb 10, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Acroticus » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:15 pm

Tag for interest!

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:40 pm

Senkaku wrote:
Camicon wrote:All those locations are relatively close to each other. It's not like they're spread out across the continental United States. This is mainland Europe, and we're talking about a defensive line on Germany's border, with ATHENA HQ on the Netherland's coast. That's a three hour drive, at the absolute maximum. About six if you start from Berlin.

I know, but presumably there are other human beings in that area (if there aren't, contact may be even more difficult due to, you know, alien death machines and such). I'm just saying it's unclear how these people will be introduced to one another, given their scattered-ness, even over a relatively small area. And since their access to most vehicles is probably now at least somewhat restricted by alien layz0rz, that complicates things further.

Just because the aliens broke through doesn't mean that they have control over the area. I should think there are enough military assets in the area to establish general evac routes for everyone to retreat along.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Anowa
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 29, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Anowa » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:20 pm

Awards:
Tie Winner: Most Involved in P2TM, 2016
Winner: Best Crime RP, 2016

An Intro to Anowa

Vancon
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:24 pm

Anowa wrote:

Shhhhh
Mike the Progressive wrote:You know I don't say this often, but this guy... he gets it. Like everything. As in he gets life.

Imperializt Russia wrote:
The balkens wrote:Please tell me that condoms and Hazelnut spread are NOT on the same table.

Well what the fuck do you use for lube?

Krazakistan wrote:How have you not died after being exposed to that much shit on a monthly basis?
Rupudska wrote:I avoid NSG like one would avoid ISIS-occupied Syria.
Alimeria- wrote:I'll go to sleep when I want to, not when some cheese-eating surrender monkey tells me to.

Which just so happens to be within the next half-hour

Shyluz wrote:Van, Sci-fi Generallisimo

U18 2nd Cutest NS'er 2015
Best Role Play - Science Fiction 2015: Athena Program

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:27 pm

Vancon wrote:
Anowa wrote:

Shhhhh

Well, in XCOM, the aliens didn't pussy-foot around for five years. They walked right in, smacked down anyone that thought of standing up to them, and set up shop.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun

Anowa
Post Marshal

Postby Anowa » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:30 pm

Camicon wrote:
Vancon wrote:Shhhhh

Well, in XCOM, the aliens didn't pussy-foot around for five years. They walked right in, smacked down anyone that thought of standing up to them, and set up shop.

I'm still salty of the instant waffle-stomp that XCOM got given.
Awards:

An Intro to Anowa

Bentus
Senator

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Bentus » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:40 pm

Senkaku wrote:Are all the characters going to be starting together somehow? If not, how are they supposed to meet up? I ask because so far we have people who were at the NATO/UN command, people who were at ATHENA HQ, and people who were just soldiers on the Line, and it doesn't seem clear how they'll all get together.

The characters will all meet up/have met up at the start of the RP. There's a ton of reasons why doing so would be difficult and unlikely, especially given many of their shared pasts, but suspension of disbelief has its moments and it's far from impossible. Maybe say that the line was falling back, with at least some degree of cohesiveness, until NATO was pressed into the Netherlands. With Athena HQ down, the rest of command and morale plummeted with it and all hell really broke loose.

Anowa wrote:

Dayum. I like it.
- - Bentus
- -
1 2 3 >4< 5
Possible threat.
Forces active in a warzone.
At peace.
Member of The Galactic Economic and Security Organization

NationStates Belongs to All, Gameplay, Roleplay, and Nonplay Alike
Every NationStates Community Member, from Raider Kings to Brony Queens Make Us Awesome.
"Though I fly through the valley of Death, I shall fear no evil. For I am at the Karman line and climbing." - Bentusi SABRE motto

North America Inc wrote:13. If Finland SSR or Bentus anyone spams the Discord with shipping goals, I will personally tell your mother.

How Roleplays Die <= Good read for anyone interested in OPing

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:56 pm

Anowa wrote:
Camicon wrote:Well, in XCOM, the aliens didn't pussy-foot around for five years. They walked right in, smacked down anyone that thought of standing up to them, and set up shop.

I'm still salty of the instant waffle-stomp that XCOM got given.

Steam keeps global statistics for game achievements, which gives up some things to consider.

Of all the people that have played XCOM, only 26.9% have completed it, at any difficulty.
4.8% have beaten it on Classic.
1.2% have beaten it on Impossible.
1.7% of players have completed an Ironman run on Classic or Impossible.
So, let's be extremely generous, and say that a quarter of that 1.7% Ironman completion runs were on Impossible (I guarantee they were almost entirely on Classic). So of everyone who owns the game, a maximum of 0.425% have completed it on Impossible Ironman.

Further, Steam has no way to keeping track of who cheated their way to that achievement (let's assume none did), but more importantly, no way to track how many attempts were made before someone successfully completed the game. That means all those above stats are only accurate if we assume that everyone completed their respective games on their first attempt. In reality, the success rate for completing the game on any difficulty will be lower than 26.9%, lower still for completion on Classic, and once again lower still on Impossible. You see where I'm going with this, no doubt; that assumed completion rate of 0.425% on Impossible Ironman is probably much, much, much smaller. Zemalf is probably best known for this feat, beating the game in 50 hours over 58 videos, without any deaths (though he admits that his victory was as much luck as skill in the early goings).

I think it would be appropriate to place XCOM's odds of fending off the alien invasion to be somewhere in the range of 0.4% to 0.004%, though it could very well be (and probably is) much lower.

How's that for salty? :lol:
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun

Anowa
Post Marshal

Postby Anowa » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:00 am

Camicon wrote:
Anowa wrote:I'm still salty of the instant waffle-stomp that XCOM got given.

Steam keeps global statistics for game achievements, which gives up some things to consider.

Of all the people that have played XCOM, only 26.9% have completed it, at any difficulty.
So, let's be extremely generous, and say that a quarter of that 1.7% Ironman completion runs were on Impossible (I guarantee they were almost entirely on Classic). So of everyone who owns the game, a maximum of 0.425% have completed it on Impossible Ironman.

Further, Steam has no way to keeping track of who cheated their way to that achievement (let's assume none did), but more importantly, no way to track how many attempts were made before someone successfully completed the game. That means all those above stats are only accurate if we assume that everyone completed their respective games on their first attempt. In reality, the success rate for completing the game on any difficulty will be lower than 26.9%, lower still for completion on Classic, and once again lower still on Impossible. You see where I'm going with this, no doubt; that assumed completion rate of 0.425% on Impossible Ironman is probably much, much, much smaller. Zemalf is probably best known for this feat, beating the game in 50 hours over 58 videos, without any deaths (though he admits that his victory was as much luck as skill in the early goings).

I think it would be appropriate to place XCOM's odds of fending off the alien invasion to be somewhere in the range of 0.4% to 0.004%, though it could very well be (and probably is) much lower.

I'm fine with XCOM getting waffle-stomped, just not instantly waffle-stomped.
Awards:

An Intro to Anowa

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:06 am

Anowa wrote:
Camicon wrote:Steam keeps global statistics for game achievements, which gives up some things to consider.

I'm fine with XCOM getting waffle-stomped, just not instantly waffle-stomped.

Why wouldn't they be instantly waffle-stomped? Their enemy is coming from outer space, which means they can either bend space-time and punch holes through it or travel faster than light, and that's only if they're from the same universe. It would be like if the US military walked into Ancient Greece with the intention of crushing all opposition before them; the city-states wouldn't stand a chance.
Last edited by Camicon on Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun

Anowa
Post Marshal

Postby Anowa » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:08 am

Camicon wrote:
Anowa wrote:I'm fine with XCOM getting waffle-stomped, just not instantly waffle-stomped.

Why wouldn't they be instantly waffle-stomped? Their enemy is coming from outer space, which means they can either bend space-time and punch holes through it or travel faster than light, and that's only if they're from the same universe. It would be like if the US military walked into Ancient Greece with the intention of crushing all opposition before them; the city-states wouldn't stand a chance.

Instantly though?
Awards:

An Intro to Anowa

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:23 am

Anowa wrote:
Camicon wrote:Why wouldn't they be instantly waffle-stomped? Their enemy is coming from outer space, which means they can either bend space-time and punch holes through it or travel faster than light, and that's only if they're from the same universe. It would be like if the US military walked into Ancient Greece with the intention of crushing all opposition before them; the city-states wouldn't stand a chance.

Instantly though?

Pretty much. Like, sure, maybe those Ancient Greeks would be able to catch a few US infantry with some arrows, and maybe XCOM would shoot up a few Sectoids, but it would be a rout of epic proportions. The aggressors are packing weapons, armour, and technologies, that the defenders have never even seen before; a full-on invasion would prevent them from having any time to adapt to a plethora of fundamentally game-changing things.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun

Sonitusia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Sonitusia » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:10 am

Reviewing the current situation, this'll be interesting for Odetta, considering this is her turf (Germany). A hunter fighting in a land she knows can be a bit dangerous.
DEITY OF BAD-TIMING
Check out my Deviantart for shit drawings!
Member of Task Force Atlas
Holy Messenger of Imperialjapanism and Twin Sibling of Shyluz
Shyluz wrote:The second 'tanks' was said, it was all over.

Gensokyu wrote:So that happened.

They say that in the great wars of NS Summer, there was one who did not fight with blood, but with iron. They named this one the Master of Tanks, and the thunderous sound of cannon and the rattling of machine guns could be heard far and wide, the crossroads before the capital of CotM being defended by this valiant one until it stood alone. Shitposters layed in droves, and entire army having been slain by the might of Sonitusia, Master of Tanks, Commandant of Iron, and Slinger of Shells.

The Armed Republic of Dutch Coolness
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Armed Republic of Dutch Coolness » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:11 am

Sonitusia wrote:Reviewing the current situation, this'll be interesting for Odetta, considering this is her turf (Germany). A hunter fighting in a land she knows can be a bit dangerous.

We're starting in Germany?
P2TM Mentor
TG me!
Discord available on request as well
Or join the Mentor Discord server!

Such a cool time I select, looking out my window, and that's that

The worlding of the words is AMARANTH.

Sonitusia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Sonitusia » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:13 am

The Armed Republic of Dutch coolness wrote:
Sonitusia wrote:Reviewing the current situation, this'll be interesting for Odetta, considering this is her turf (Germany). A hunter fighting in a land she knows can be a bit dangerous.

We're starting in Germany?

Not necessarily. But I can make a nice post about her later on if the situation grants it.
DEITY OF BAD-TIMING
Check out my Deviantart for shit drawings!
Member of Task Force Atlas
Holy Messenger of Imperialjapanism and Twin Sibling of Shyluz
Shyluz wrote:The second 'tanks' was said, it was all over.

Gensokyu wrote:So that happened.

They say that in the great wars of NS Summer, there was one who did not fight with blood, but with iron. They named this one the Master of Tanks, and the thunderous sound of cannon and the rattling of machine guns could be heard far and wide, the crossroads before the capital of CotM being defended by this valiant one until it stood alone. Shitposters layed in droves, and entire army having been slain by the might of Sonitusia, Master of Tanks, Commandant of Iron, and Slinger of Shells.

Bentus
Senator

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Bentus » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:21 am

Sonitusia wrote:
The Armed Republic of Dutch coolness wrote:We're starting in Germany?

Not necessarily. But I can make a nice post about her later on if the situation grants it.

We're in the Netherlands at the start of the RP, but I like the idea - definitely could make the war hit a bit more home for her.

Actually, good time to bring this up: if anyone has ideas for events or plots in the RP, or perhaps want to shift the group in a particular direction, shoot me a TG. While I've got an overarching scheme in mind, the individual steps of the RP are still in the works. I'm also open to having a couple of Co-OPs who would help out with apps/RPing major enemy actions, laying down the law, etc. Downside to being a Co-OP, I'll be giving you some spoilers and asking for input on where the RPs headed, so a bit of the fun surprise may be knocked out of things ;)
- - Bentus
- -
1 2 3 >4< 5
Possible threat.
Forces active in a warzone.
At peace.
Member of The Galactic Economic and Security Organization

NationStates Belongs to All, Gameplay, Roleplay, and Nonplay Alike
Every NationStates Community Member, from Raider Kings to Brony Queens Make Us Awesome.
"Though I fly through the valley of Death, I shall fear no evil. For I am at the Karman line and climbing." - Bentusi SABRE motto

North America Inc wrote:13. If Finland SSR or Bentus anyone spams the Discord with shipping goals, I will personally tell your mother.

How Roleplays Die <= Good read for anyone interested in OPing

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:04 am

Camicon wrote:
Senkaku wrote:I know, but presumably there are other human beings in that area (if there aren't, contact may be even more difficult due to, you know, alien death machines and such). I'm just saying it's unclear how these people will be introduced to one another, given their scattered-ness, even over a relatively small area. And since their access to most vehicles is probably now at least somewhat restricted by alien layz0rz, that complicates things further.

Just because the aliens broke through doesn't mean that they have control over the area. I should think there are enough military assets in the area to establish general evac routes for everyone to retreat along.

Right, but what I'm saying is why would all these highly disparate (militarily speaking) characters be even evacuating together? Some of them are Line soldiers, some are ex-ATHENA, some are UN command staffers, etc.

Lunas Legion
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Lunas Legion » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:08 am

Perhaps the whole evacuation process went to shit for some reason, resulting in most of the properly organized formations losing cohesion and a whole load of ad hoc formations of varying sizes and composition forming in their place?
Last edited by William Slim Wed Dec 14 1970 10:35 pm, edited 35 times in total.

Confirmed member of Kyloominati, Destroyers of Worlds Membership can be applied for here

Shyluz
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Shyluz » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:27 am

Lunas Legion wrote:Perhaps the whole evacuation process went to shit for some reason, resulting in most of the properly organized formations losing cohesion and a whole load of ad hoc formations of varying sizes and composition forming in their place?

Dunkirk No. 2, anyone?
Otherwise known as Nornsmark for official, region-ey things.

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:41 am

Shyluz wrote:
Lunas Legion wrote:Perhaps the whole evacuation process went to shit for some reason, resulting in most of the properly organized formations losing cohesion and a whole load of ad hoc formations of varying sizes and composition forming in their place?

Dunkirk No. 2, anyone?

Basically my thoughts. Except it's overland, and there are no communications, so none of the troops on the ground are getting direction or intelligence from their respective commands.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun

Anowa
Post Marshal

Postby Anowa » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:45 am

Camicon wrote:
Shyluz wrote:
Dunkirk No. 2, anyone?

Basically my thoughts. Except it's overland, and there are no communications, so none of the troops on the ground are getting direction or intelligence from their respective commands.

Battle of the Halbe 2.0 then?
Awards:

An Intro to Anowa

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:56 am

Anowa wrote:
Camicon wrote:Basically my thoughts. Except it's overland, and there are no communications, so none of the troops on the ground are getting direction or intelligence from their respective commands.

Battle of the Halbe 2.0 then?

Sans the whole "being surrounded" thing. The aliens wouldn't have had time to establish a western front, I don't think.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse