NATION

PASSWORD

[P2TM Chat] The Restaurant at the End of the Multiverse III

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

The World Capitalist Confederation
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Thu May 14, 2020 7:00 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:Are there any active hard sci-fi RPs right now? My main gripe with most sci-fi RPs is that they're too soft in science fiction terms, so I'd like to see an RP where the laws of physics still apply.

I love hard SF, but I never see many RPs of that nature. I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Probably because worldbuilding is a pain for people who aren't actively interested in non-fiction science.

Being a good writer and interested in science are rarely two skills that overlap.
Please Watch
“We could manage to survive without the money changers and stockbrokers, but we would rather find it difficult to survive without miners, steel workers and those who cultivate the land.” - Nye Bevan, Minister of Health under Clement Attlee

“The mutual-aid tendency in man has so remote an origin, and is so deeply interwoven with all the past evolution of the human race, that is has been maintained by mankind up to the present time, notwithstanding all vicissitudes of history.” - Peter Krotopkin, evolutionary biologist and political writer.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Thu May 14, 2020 7:04 am

The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:I love hard SF, but I never see many RPs of that nature. I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Probably because worldbuilding is a pain for people who aren't actively interested in non-fiction science.

Being a good writer and interested in science are rarely two skills that overlap.

I know exactly what you mean. I write a little, and I try to make it scientifically accurate, but I'm not a scientist, and nor do I have the money to hire a technical advisor. So there may or may not be inaccuracies in my writing.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Dayganistan
Ambassador

Founded: May 02, 2016
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dayganistan » Thu May 14, 2020 7:51 am

I'm not sure if NS is dead or I've just totally lost interest in everything RP related here. It feels like it's all been the same for the whole time I've been here. Non-region RPs in II were too spammy for my tastes so I went to P2TM and joined a region. P2TM had little of interest to me and regions often seemed to be competitive with one another over who can have more and better wiki articles more so than being interested in any sort of RP. So now I'm back to square one where II is too spammy for my tastes and P2TM still has little of interest to me.
Republic of Dayganistan | جمهوری دهقانستان

A secular, Tajik dominated state in Central Asia which has experienced 40 years of democratic backsliding. NS stats are NOT used.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Thu May 14, 2020 9:54 am

Dayganistan wrote:I'm not sure if NS is dead or I've just totally lost interest in everything RP related here. It feels like it's all been the same for the whole time I've been here. Non-region RPs in II were too spammy for my tastes so I went to P2TM and joined a region. P2TM had little of interest to me and regions often seemed to be competitive with one another over who can have more and better wiki articles more so than being interested in any sort of RP. So now I'm back to square one where II is too spammy for my tastes and P2TM still has little of interest to me.

Well, aren’t you essentially only interested in modern miltech character RPs? That’s a pretty small niche, and not one that often flourishes here due to the crunchy nature of the genre. Perhaps you need to find a military re-enactment forum?
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Dayganistan
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Dayganistan » Thu May 14, 2020 10:29 am

G-Tech Corporation wrote:
Dayganistan wrote:I'm not sure if NS is dead or I've just totally lost interest in everything RP related here. It feels like it's all been the same for the whole time I've been here. Non-region RPs in II were too spammy for my tastes so I went to P2TM and joined a region. P2TM had little of interest to me and regions often seemed to be competitive with one another over who can have more and better wiki articles more so than being interested in any sort of RP. So now I'm back to square one where II is too spammy for my tastes and P2TM still has little of interest to me.

Well, aren’t you essentially only interested in modern miltech character RPs? That’s a pretty small niche, and not one that often flourishes here due to the crunchy nature of the genre. Perhaps you need to find a military re-enactment forum?

I'm interested in more than that and there's certainly other stuff I'd be willing to join. Just for an example I've joined nation RPs in the past. It's just hard to find anything that really interests me because what often thrives in P2TM is not super interesting to me.

A secular, Tajik dominated state in Central Asia which has experienced 40 years of democratic backsliding. NS stats are NOT used.

Talchyon
Negotiator

Founded: May 05, 2016
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Talchyon » Thu May 14, 2020 11:03 am

I was wondering about something different that people who like modern military-esque might like, but it wouldn't be a war RP. Something about spies, like Mission Impossible. But that's as far as I've gotten and I have other pressing things at hand right now for me to start something new.
The Clockwork Circus - Welcome to a steampunk RP rife with crime, gangs, beggars, and starting off as the lowest of the low, in the lowest socio-economic place there is.

Louisianan wrote:Talchyon has great comedic writing, that is true.

Main Nation Ministry
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2016
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Main Nation Ministry » Thu May 14, 2020 11:06 am

Talchyon wrote:

I was wondering about something different that people who like modern military-esque might like, but it wouldn't be a war RP. Something about spies, like Mission Impossible. But that's as far as I've gotten and I have other pressing things at hand right now for me to start something new.

I still have that spy comedy idea on my mind.
Local 22 year old Diet Coke Addict College Student Ruins Everything

Quote of the Week: "A NEW STORY ON WRITING THREAD FOR HALLOWEEN!! MYSTERY MINE AVAILABLE NOW!"

RPs I do
- How do you do fellow kids? You want to see something violent? - Artemis: Deimos Trafficking League (Horror/Mature)
- Descend into the forgotten tourist traps of Florida on this transgressive RP! - The Community (Mature/Black Comedy/Slice-of-Life)

My overall account that I use for P2TM and even for international roleplaying! MNM is a mysterious and extremely dangerous dictatorship filled with supernatural oddities, demons, militarized soldiers everywhere, and a misanthropic nihilistic dictator who doesn't give a damn. It's basically if the SCP Foundation got mixed with 1984.

Dayganistan
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Dayganistan » Thu May 14, 2020 12:07 pm

Talchyon wrote:

That's actually a concept I've wanted to see as well. Depending on how it would be done the spy/espionage genre could be fairly accessible to people who aren't as knowledgeable about modern military stuff because there's much more involved than brute force kicking down doors and shooting bad guys. Unlike the proper military RPs which can require a decent understanding of modern combat if the RP is to run smoothly and alienates people as a result.

Another idea I've wanted to do is a police procedural type RP. I really enjoy watching NCIS and feel like something similar in concept could translate well to RP format. RPing as a law enforcement agent could be just as fun and action packed, again without alienating people who aren't as knowledgeable about modern combat as a good cop generally wants to avoid firing their weapon and when they do get involved in shootouts they're almost always at very close range and over in a matter of seconds so you don't have to write paragraphs about fire and maneuver techniques.

Talchyon
Negotiator

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Talchyon » Thu May 14, 2020 3:45 pm

Dayganistan wrote:
Talchyon wrote:

That's actually a concept I've wanted to see as well. Depending on how it would be done the spy/espionage genre could be fairly accessible to people who aren't as knowledgeable about modern military stuff because there's much more involved than brute force kicking down doors and shooting bad guys. Unlike the proper military RPs which can require a decent understanding of modern combat if the RP is to run smoothly and alienates people as a result.

Another idea I've wanted to do is a police procedural type RP. I really enjoy watching NCIS and feel like something similar in concept could translate well to RP format. RPing as a law enforcement agent could be just as fun and action packed, again without alienating people who aren't as knowledgeable about modern combat as a good cop generally wants to avoid firing their weapon and when they do get involved in shootouts they're almost always at very close range and over in a matter of seconds so you don't have to write paragraphs about fire and maneuver techniques.

I think both could be interesting. A police procedural RP would also be great if you were trying to do it as a mystery too for that matter. Lots of TV show police episodes that could be used as material for plot.
The Clockwork Circus - Welcome to a steampunk RP rife with crime, gangs, beggars, and starting off as the lowest of the low, in the lowest socio-economic place there is.

Talchyon
Negotiator

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Talchyon » Thu May 14, 2020 3:46 pm

Main Nation Ministry wrote:
Talchyon wrote:

I remember being in a spy comedy RP some years ago that took place in the 60s. That was different and surprisingly very fun.

Main Nation Ministry
Postmaster-General

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Main Nation Ministry » Thu May 14, 2020 3:53 pm

Talchyon wrote:
Main Nation Ministry wrote:I still have that spy comedy idea on my mind.

I remember being in a spy comedy RP some years ago that took place in the 60s. That was different and surprisingly very fun.

Was it Evil Genius?

Quote of the Week: "A NEW STORY ON WRITING THREAD FOR HALLOWEEN!! MYSTERY MINE AVAILABLE NOW!"

RPs I do
- How do you do fellow kids? You want to see something violent? - Artemis: Deimos Trafficking League (Horror/Mature)
- Descend into the forgotten tourist traps of Florida on this transgressive RP! - The Community (Mature/Black Comedy/Slice-of-Life)

My overall account that I use for P2TM and even for international roleplaying! MNM is a mysterious and extremely dangerous dictatorship filled with supernatural oddities, demons, militarized soldiers everywhere, and a misanthropic nihilistic dictator who doesn't give a damn. It's basically if the SCP Foundation got mixed with 1984.

Dayganistan
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Dayganistan » Thu May 14, 2020 3:53 pm

Talchyon wrote:
Dayganistan wrote:That's actually a concept I've wanted to see as well. Depending on how it would be done the spy/espionage genre could be fairly accessible to people who aren't as knowledgeable about modern military stuff because there's much more involved than brute force kicking down doors and shooting bad guys. Unlike the proper military RPs which can require a decent understanding of modern combat if the RP is to run smoothly and alienates people as a result.

I think both could be interesting. A police procedural RP would also be great if you were trying to do it as a mystery too for that matter. Lots of TV show police episodes that could be used as material for plot.

Well I definitely have some plot ideas for various cases that could take place during the RP. I think I have the specific location I want to set it in nailed down as well. It's just a matter of writing up an OP and hoping I'm not wasting the effort for nothing.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Thu May 14, 2020 3:59 pm

The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:Being a good writer and interested in science are rarely two skills that overlap.

I'm interested in sci-

Oh.

I'm bad at writing.

Talchyon
Negotiator

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Talchyon » Thu May 14, 2020 9:02 pm

Talchyon wrote:

Was it Evil Genius?

That's the one! Couldn't remember the name earlier.

Main Nation Ministry
Postmaster-General

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Main Nation Ministry » Fri May 15, 2020 12:06 am

Talchyon wrote:

I hadn't worked out the official draft, but I do have an idea in mind for the spy comedy.

Basically, it goes like this.

It takes place in the 60's (rather an alternate one as an excuse to explain why so many spy villians have a high budget in their bases and technology they have), after the death of a top-ranking M16 agent killed during a mission by a mysterious organization. This sets off the events of the RP and pretty much becomes a minor focus of mystery in the plot. Somewhere in the United States of America, the government realizing that they have unneeded funds, decide to use them to form a spy organization which is basically the Illumaniti, which is actually less impressive in reality IC. Being run on the lowest of budgets in an abandoned train depot (as an extra savory detail, your first mission literally offers you gadgets that may or may not be useful), the organization you're in dedicates itself to protecting the peace of the world, while fighting off evil.

You can expect deconstruction of the typical James Bond films, a plot that actually based on an actual event in the 60's, and some black comedy in the mix (in this RP, you can even get to shoot the guy in the backseat for having a slide whistle while you trying to do an astro spiral!).

RPs I do

The World Capitalist Confederation
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Fri May 15, 2020 6:29 am

Esternial wrote:
The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:Being a good writer and interested in science are rarely two skills that overlap.

I'm interested in sci-

Oh.

I'm bad at writing.

Don't worry. I'm sure your science is good enough to make up for all the times my eyes bleed from scientific inaccuracy even from otherwise good writing.
Please Watch
“We could manage to survive without the money changers and stockbrokers, but we would rather find it difficult to survive without miners, steel workers and those who cultivate the land.” - Nye Bevan, Minister of Health under Clement Attlee

“The mutual-aid tendency in man has so remote an origin, and is so deeply interwoven with all the past evolution of the human race, that is has been maintained by mankind up to the present time, notwithstanding all vicissitudes of history.” - Peter Krotopkin, evolutionary biologist and political writer.

Talchyon
Negotiator

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Talchyon » Fri May 15, 2020 10:34 am

Main Nation Ministry wrote:I still have that spy comedy idea on my mind.

I hadn't worked out the official draft, but I do have an idea in mind for the spy comedy.

It takes place in the 60's (rather an alternate one as an excuse to explain why so many spy villians have a high budget in their bases and technology they have), after the death of a top-ranking M16 agent killed during a mission by a mysterious organization. This sets off the events of the RP and pretty much becomes a minor focus of mystery in the plot. Somewhere in the United States of America, the government realizing that they have unneeded funds, decide to use them to form a spy organization which is basically the Illumaniti, which is actually less impressive in reality IC. Being run on the lowest of budgets in an abandoned train depot (as an extra savory detail, your first mission literally offers you gadgets that may or may not be useful), the organization you're in dedicates itself to protecting the peace of the world, while fighting off evil.

You can expect deconstruction of the typical James Bond films, a plot that actually based on an actual event in the 60's, and some black comedy in the mix (in this RP, you can even get to shoot the guy in the backseat for having a slide whistle while you trying to do an astro spiral!).

Was the name of that top-ranking MI6 agent named Austin Powers? Or something along those lines?

Main Nation Ministry
Postmaster-General

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Main Nation Ministry » Fri May 15, 2020 10:45 am

Talchyon wrote:
Main Nation Ministry wrote:I hadn't worked out the official draft, but I do have an idea in mind for the spy comedy.

Was the name of that top-ranking MI6 agent named Austin Powers? Or something along those lines?

I was planning on making them a parody of James Bond, where the agent is almost flawlessly able to survive anything, only to be given the upperhand. Basically, his death is going to be something like this.

RPs I do

Dayganistan
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Dayganistan » Fri May 15, 2020 11:55 am

I've written up an OP for the police procedural idea I had. I don't think it's great, but it's also my first OP for an RP. No to actually get up the courage to post it without caring if it's a total failure to launch.

Main Nation Ministry
Postmaster-General

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Main Nation Ministry » Fri May 15, 2020 12:01 pm

Dayganistan wrote:I've written up an OP for the police procedural idea I had. I don't think it's great, but it's also my first OP for an RP. No to actually get up the courage to post it without caring if it's a total failure to launch.

You can show us what it looks like. We can give feedback before you post it.

RPs I do

Dayganistan
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Dayganistan » Fri May 15, 2020 4:58 pm

Dayganistan wrote:I've written up an OP for the police procedural idea I had. I don't think it's great, but it's also my first OP for an RP. No to actually get up the courage to post it without caring if it's a total failure to launch.

You can show us what it looks like. We can give feedback before you post it.

Well it's not so much the OP being bad that I'm worried about. I feel like if people are interested in a concept they'll join even without a super flashy OP. It's more the worry that nobody will be interested full stop.

Talchyon
Negotiator

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Talchyon » Fri May 15, 2020 7:16 pm

Dayganistan wrote:
Main Nation Ministry wrote:You can show us what it looks like. We can give feedback before you post it.

Well it's not so much the OP being bad that I'm worried about. I feel like if people are interested in a concept they'll join even without a super flashy OP. It's more the worry that nobody will be interested full stop.

You never know. A police procedural RP hasn't been done in a long time, and it might be new and interesting from the usual run of the mill.

Likewise, if you need help OPing, some of us have done it before and can offer advice (even if it's helping you code).

Main Nation Ministry
Postmaster-General

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Main Nation Ministry » Fri May 15, 2020 7:18 pm

Talchyon wrote:
Dayganistan wrote:Well it's not so much the OP being bad that I'm worried about. I feel like if people are interested in a concept they'll join even without a super flashy OP. It's more the worry that nobody will be interested full stop.

You never know. A police procedural RP hasn't been done in a long time, and it might be new and interesting from the usual run of the mill.

Likewise, if you need help OPing, some of us have done it before and can offer advice (even if it's helping you code).

I actually thought of doing a medical/hospital RP similar to House or Grey's Anatomy, but I figured that would be a bit too complicated. Though, I love to be a detective in a police procedural thing.

RPs I do

Talchyon
Negotiator

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Talchyon » Fri May 15, 2020 8:42 pm

You'd have to set it up so people could be partners, and then have as many teams as needed. On the shows and in some of the novels, it's rare for one team to meet up with another team on a case, but it could happen...

Exalted Inquellian State
Senator

Founded: Apr 30, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Exalted Inquellian State » Sun May 24, 2020 5:04 pm

I have a question. I am interested in finding a good starting off roleplay that is either the map game genre or the sci-fi genre.
My Kaiserreich Cold War RP-https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=507613&sid=a338bded6a6009aba44e8b2d0d1d04c4
My Kaiserreich/The Burning Sun German Empire Political Roleplay-https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=514195&sid=fd8a29ac7c4e1a97e9bc4266e116a56f

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse