NATION

PASSWORD

PL: The EPIC OOC XI [closed]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

TotallyNotEvilLand
Senator

Founded: May 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby TotallyNotEvilLand » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:46 pm

Aight, think I've screwed with my schedule enough to work out some PL time, thank goodness. I'll be able to start posting in the thread again, though I'm limiting myself to Crysal and Adri for the time being so as not to toast myself out again.
Liquid Wallaby Characters, Updated 4/27 (Rough sketches for Creezul and Kehelli are completed)
If you use the term SJW or 'politically correct' to describe anyone left of center, I'm pretty sure that destroys all of your credibility as an intelligent human being. Quit being a twit and use something other than a buzzword to make your point.
A Moderately-Talented But Very Unreliable Roleplayer
Current flag is Frisk's Unamused Face

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:01 pm

Giovenith wrote:

Oh Tilt...

Happy Penguin Awareness Day!

:D

*sends penguin with nachos and fresh fish*
Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart. -Khalil Gibran
Cut red tape with the Red Book / Bureaucracy is a system - #ApplyTNI / Think globally, act locally
At fifteen, I set my heart on learning. At thirty, I was firmly established. At forty, I had no more doubts. At fifty, I knew the will of heaven. At sixty, I was ready to listen to it. At seventy, I could follow my heart's desire without transgressing what was right. ~Analects, 2:4
I wear teal, blue, pink, and red for Swith.
mumblemumblemumble

Highfort
Minister

Founded: May 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Highfort » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:08 pm

Hi guys! I've been super-busy with school lately, especially since I got really sick at the end of the weekend and have been playing catch-up ever since. I came across a nice video about how to map out characters using a character tree, and I thought it might be useful for helping you guys reevaluate where your characters are and where they're going:

Character Trees

To sum it up for those who don't want to watch the video, a character tree is a method of constructing a character's personality, appearance, habits, behavior, desires, and overall archetype through use of a series of categories which begin at the metaphoric "feet" of the character and ascend to the "head".

Please excuse the use of male pronouns, this quite obviously applies to female and gender-neutral or agender characters.

Feet: obvious traits about your character: appearance, mannerisms, behavior, etc.

The feet are what you'll later use to build the rest of your character - think of them as roots. Details that spring up here can be used to add depth and meaning farther up the tree - from their desires, to their needs, their viewpoints, and even shaping their archetype.

Groin: outer desires and wants of your character - desires that he's willing to express to others and to himself

The groin is what your character will essentially use when dealing with other people. Er, hopefully your character asks for consent first and isn't arrested for sexual harassment. Anyways, things listed here are essentially your character's overt desires - things they think they want and/or they say to others they want. Good examples include: a stable job, to be left alone, to find love, to make money, etc.

Heart: inner desires and wants of your character - things he didn't know he needed to be complete

The heart is essentially what the groin wishes it could be - desires that would actually make your character truly happy and fulfilled. Maybe the uptight general who wants things to work just needs to come to terms with not being fully in-control. Maybe the lawyer in pursuit of ever greater fame and glory really just wants to settle down with someone who will love him when the fame is dead and the money's gone. Maybe the starving artist just wants someone to understand him. Whatever the case, these are desires that the character may not even be fully aware of, but which he requires to be satisfied and complete.

Throat: presentation and interaction with the world

The throat is your character putting his best foot forward. This is how he chooses to present himself to the world - his attitude and how he deals with others. Notice that you can use his feet (appearance, mannerisms), his groin (immediate goals), and even heart (perhaps subconsciously guiding his behavior) to shape his throat. The throat represents artificial interaction - before he lets his guard down, or upon first meeting, how is this character going to behave? Breaking character from the throat typically indicates a level of trust, character evolution, or high stress being placed on the character.

Left Cheek: "left brain" - problem-solving and logic

The cheeks represent your character's approaches to the world. The left represents his logical and problem-solving side. How does he solve problems, and what is his view behind the causes of things? Is he superstitious, quick to point fingers at eldritch gods or his own deity? Is he cold and calculating, solving problems without a care for how individuals may be emotionally slighted? However your character solves problems and logically views the world, this will impact his abilities with respect to the story.

Right Cheek: "right brain" - artistry, ethics, emotional affect, and morals

The right cheek does not only represent artistry, but your character's moral and ethical values (note that moral and ethical are different - morals deals with good and evil, ethics deals with proper or just conduct) and his emotional behavior toward individuals. Artistry is, however, also included and this can represent a separate problem-solving skillset your character has that's unrelated to his logical or reasoning abilities. Your characters morals and ethics will determine how he solves interpersonal problems with respect to other characters.

Crown: the archetype (Jung would be proud)

The crown is essentially a phrase which sums up your character, allowing others and yourself easy-access to what the character is supposed to be and how he relates to other characters in the story. Using the other parts of the tree, you can distill out the essence of what makes your character himself.

Note that you can also do this process backwards. Starting with an archetype or general idea for a character, you can work your way down to flesh out the desires and eventually even determine an appropriate appearance for him based on his projection (throat) and his desires (groin).
First as tragedy, then as farce

Fvaarniimar
Minister

Founded: Nov 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Fvaarniimar » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:24 pm

Not coherent. Not going to post during next 9 hrs. If needed scooch Rmwtyliin along. Hope you're having lovely days/nights.
Come to the light side.  We have teamwork, waffles, popcorn, grape juice, and way too much ramen.

Unless one is a genealogist, therapist, geneticist, or FBI agent - who is acting within the scope of their job - to claim that anyone is wrong about their own identity is not merely absurd but also extremely rude.

Mincaldenteans
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Mincaldenteans » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:16 am

Highfort wrote::

Character Trees

-snip-

Awesome find Agy! Could we add this to the OP, pretty please?

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:07 am

Crown the empire. (cool)

Nice find, though. :D
Cut red tape with the Red Book / Bureaucracy is a system - #ApplyTNI / Think globally, act locally
At fifteen, I set my heart on learning. At thirty, I was firmly established. At forty, I had no more doubts. At fifty, I knew the will of heaven. At sixty, I was ready to listen to it. At seventy, I could follow my heart's desire without transgressing what was right. ~Analects, 2:4
mumblemumblemumble

Cerillium
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 27, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Cerillium » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:28 pm

Mincaldenteans wrote:
Highfort wrote::

Character Trees

-snip-

Awesome find Agy! Could we add this to the OP, pretty please?

Yep, it needs to be there. Leaving note for it.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man’s fears, and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination.

The BranRiech
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 24, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The BranRiech » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:35 pm

Hiya, guys!

I managed to cut 2 minutes off of running a mile on the eliptical! Got it down from 14 to 12 minutes, and now I'm exhausted. :p But I'm starting to feel good about myself now!

Cerillium
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Cerillium » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:44 pm

Need to sort shit. I'm stripping away anything that isn't moving, such as the Raptors and GT's characters. Players are free to return, but we won't depend upon the characters when planning stories/events/etc.

Not on the list? Shout out and be added.

SOLDIERS/MILITARY/FIGHTERS
POC: none

Pilots:
Bran
Rylli
Thad
Nes
Nila

Combat:
Bran (firearms)
Rylli (firearms)
Aegis (firearms, melee, magic)
The Klingons (melee)
Chrys (melee)
Romy (firearms, melee)
Brit (firearms)
Minerva (tactics, firearms, melee, espionage)
Certain Guild members [Min, can I have a breakdown for skills, please?]
Ocho (melee, scout)
Neste (scout, melee, unarmed combat)
Nila (melee, tooth-and-claw)
Thad (assassin/sniper/demolitions)
Hans (firearms, melee, unarmed combat)
Klaus (war god knows his shit)
Kwa'a (deadly with a frying pan)
Deuce (Chaos Space Marine)
Hunter (resistance fighter)

HEALERS
POC: Sandy
Supplies: Insideous

MAGIC
Sandy
Insidious
Ogoti
Yuna
Giovenith
Anais
Malaise
Neste (psionics)
Nick (psionics)

CONVENTIONAL
Brit (first aid)
Thad (rusty bedside)
Rwm (herbal, first aid)
Willow (Hearts and Minds)

SCIENTISTS
Septimus (philothanatophy, interrogation)
Neste (biotech, virology)
Thaddeus (cybernetics, virology)
Adrastus and Marcus and the Building priests (cybernetics, communications, and other fields)
Primordial (researcher, magic and mundane)
Insidious (researcher, magic and mundane)
Deuce (botanist/horticulture)
Rodney (exo-meteorologist)

LABS, WORKSHOPS, CLINICS
Luxan Quarters (private)
Nifid Biogarden (private)
Septimus' Lab (private)
Building Machine Shop (currently overrun by priests)
Sandy's Magic/Alchemy Lab (private)
Hospital on 5th (open to Residents)
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man’s fears, and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination.

Saleon
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Saleon » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:48 pm

I am here.
Sommelier and Sacrificer of Individuals to The Old Gods

Reader of The P2TM Times, a biweekly P2TM newspaper on the RPs and happenings of P2TM. Check it out!
✎ Member - ℘ædagog

"Rood Dood," said Donner Blitzen
"You guys are the coolest Sadists on the internet," Said Blitzen
"A Low key super freak who gives you hickeys that can read into your soul?" -Legato Venari
"Sal, you get a gold star. Please make a note of that, it might maybe possibly eventually kind of matter in some way, shape, or form. Later." -Temp
I'm famous

The BranRiech
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The BranRiech » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:51 pm

Drova could be added for melee (Sword), and firearms (The rifle he keeps)

And that list right there is why I felt unimportant for a while, it just made me think of how little my characters actually do.

EDIT: Both Yuna and Drova actually, could be used as scouts with their wings.
Last edited by The BranRiech on Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mincaldenteans
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Mincaldenteans » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:57 pm

The BranRiech wrote:Drova could be added for melee (Sword), and firearms (The rifle he keeps)

And that list right there is why I felt unimportant for a while, it just made me think of how little my characters actually do.

Have them added, rotate them as the story dictates. They're only as unimportant as the player makes them out. My chars are only just getting their feet wet - and that's my own doing.

And edit my comment: plenty of story to be had -nodnod-
Last edited by Mincaldenteans on Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The BranRiech
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The BranRiech » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:01 pm

Mincaldenteans wrote:Have them added, rotate them as the story dictates. They're only as unimportant as the player makes them out. My chars are only just getting their feet wet - and that's my own doing.

I mean, my characters are on the list, but it just makes me feel as if I've been playing my characters badly the entire time in that I don't have them contribute enough, and then I go off and complain when I don't do anything. I feel bad when I realize it. I still want to be involved more, and hope it happens. *Nods* And I'm really looking forward to Yuna getting more involved with the Cultists.

Mincaldenteans
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Mincaldenteans » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:06 pm

Cerillium wrote:Need to sort shit. I'm stripping away anything that isn't moving, such as the Raptors and GT's characters. Players are free to return, but we won't depend upon the characters when planning stories/events/etc.

Not on the list? Shout out and be added.

Pilots:
Bran
Rylli
Thad
Nes
Nila

Combat:
Bran (firearms)
Rylli (firearms)
The Klingons (melee, tactics)
Chrys (melee)
Romy (firearms, melee)
Brit (firearms)
Ocho (melee, scout)
Certain Guild members:
  • Traxt (range magic: air/fire, tactics - backline)
  • Cherry (range magic: psionics/illusion)
  • Reyna (melee, tactics - frontline)
  • Erick (melee and magic)

HEALERS

MAGIC
Sandy
Insidious
Ogoti
Yuna
Anais
Alexia
Dan
Giovenith
Malaise
Neste (psionics)
Nick (psionics)

CONVENTIONAL
Brit (first aid)
Thad (rusty bedside)
Rwm (herbal, first aid)

SCIENTISTS
Adrastus and Marcus and the Building priests (cybernetics, communications, and other fields)

LABS, WORKSHOPS, CLINICS
Luxan Quarters (private)
Septimus' Lab (private)
Guild Hall (library and small field)

List updated.
Last edited by Mincaldenteans on Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cerillium
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Cerillium » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:15 pm

Pilots:
    Bran
    Rylli
    Thad
    Nes
    Nila

Combat:
    Bran (firearms)
    Rylli (firearms)
    Drova (melee, aerial scout)
    Yuna (aerial scout)
    The Klingons (melee, tactics)
    Chrys (melee)
    Romy (firearms, melee)
    Brit (firearms)
    Ocho (melee, scout)
    Certain Guild members:
    • Traxt (range magic: air/fire, tactics - backline)
    • Cherry (range magic: psionics/illusion)
    • Reyna (melee, tactics - frontline)
    • Erick (melee and magic)

HEALERS

MAGIC
    Sandy
    Insidious
    Ogoti
    Yuna
    Anais
    Alexia
    Dan
    Giovenith
    Malaise
    Neste (psionics)
    Nick (psionics)

CONVENTIONAL
    Brit (first aid)
    Thad (rusty bedside)
    Rwm (herbal, first aid)

SCIENTISTS

LABS, WORKSHOPS, CLINICS
    Luxan Quarters (private)
    Septimus' Lab (private)
    Guild Hall (library and small field)

@Bran. The list is based on player input in October. If Yuna and Drova weren't on it, it's because you never mentioned them the last time. :p

The BranRiech
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The BranRiech » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:17 pm

Cerillium wrote:@Bran. The list is based on player input in October. If Yuna and Drova weren't on it, it's because you never mentioned them the last time. :p

Fair enough, but I'm still planning on getting involved with the big stuff more . . . :p

Are Bran and Minerva still going into town when we go to the next day? And I'd still like to do more, ah, I don't know, important stuff. :p

New Aksarben
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby New Aksarben » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:18 pm

Maghrl can fit under a few spots, wherever people feel he should be best put. Healer(minor skill at that), Magic(technically, closest to force manipulation), he also can go under combat, with his sabers and Force abilities

Sterling fits under magic but not any sort of military. HE might also go under conventional with his skill at organizing both magical and non-magical things. And maybe scientist due to his history of working as a researcher. His room is also a library, though most the books have to do with Equestria so not as applicable.

Maghrl's room can also serve as a makeshift robotics and cybernetics worship, considering his skill in making and repairing them, the various parts he has being everywhere, and his tools. not preferable though compared to other ones.

What does POC mean?

I might bring in other characters later on, including my WoD Uratha(werewolf) but for now just these two :P
Happiness is when
what you think,
what you say,
and what you
do are in harmony.
-Gandhi
Official Squirrel of PL

Agnostic
Democratic Socialist
Comp Sci Major
History Enthusiast
Amateur Artist - My Art!
Nonbinary/Genderqueer
Gay
Wragon Furry
Brony

The BranRiech
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The BranRiech » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:30 pm

Also, you can add Kei to combat. I'll be bringing her back at some point here, and hopefully as a much better character than she was in old-PL.

New Aksarben
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby New Aksarben » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:36 pm

The BranRiech wrote:Also, you can add Kei to combat. I'll be bringing her back at some point here, and hopefully as a much better character than she was in old-PL.

Kei was interesting when I was around, imo. its hard playing a god character x3

One reason I'm unlikely to bring back the personification characters I had was that I'm unsure how I'd properly show what I'd established their abilities as with the 7 point limit, like superman tier strength, speed and durability.

but anyway, they got a bit boring haha.
Happiness is when
what you think,
what you say,
and what you
do are in harmony.
-Gandhi
Official Squirrel of PL

Agnostic
Democratic Socialist
Comp Sci Major
History Enthusiast
Amateur Artist - My Art!
Nonbinary/Genderqueer
Gay
Wragon Furry
Brony

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:52 pm

At some point I'm going to have to better define Dora's role. For now, probably put her as scout/melee/unarmed combat.
mumblemumblemumble

Mincaldenteans
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Mincaldenteans » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:53 pm

New Aksarben wrote:Maghrl can fit under a few spots, wherever people feel he should be best put. Healer(minor skill at that), Magic(technically, closest to force manipulation), he also can go under combat, with his sabers and Force abilities

Sterling fits under magic but not any sort of military. HE might also go under conventional with his skill at organizing both magical and non-magical things. And maybe scientist due to his history of working as a researcher. His room is also a library, though most the books have to do with Equestria so not as applicable.

Maghrl's room can also serve as a makeshift robotics and cybernetics worship, considering his skill in making and repairing them, the various parts he has being everywhere, and his tools. not preferable though compared to other ones.

What does POC mean?

I might bring in other characters later on, including my WoD Uratha(werewolf) but for now just these two :P

POC: Point of contact, character who is a de-facto leader of the group.

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:55 pm

Min, you're a sock. >_>
mumblemumblemumble

New Aksarben
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby New Aksarben » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:00 pm

Thanks min!
Happiness is when
what you think,
what you say,
and what you
do are in harmony.