NATION

PASSWORD

Likely Lads (Neo-Noir, OOC/Signups) [Closed]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Reverend Norv
Senator

Founded: Jun 20, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:06 pm

On balance, I'll throw the IC up tonight, and the team can chat and banter until Aurin and Rup get a chance to post over the weekend.

Prusslandia wrote:This is rather interesting.

Though it is closed, would you be willing to telegram me if a spot opens ?

This probably isn't the sort of RP where you can come in halfway through. That said, if a player goes inactive, I'll let you know. At that time, if you can find an accepted player to vouch for you, I will consider allowing an application. Fair?
For really, I think that the poorest he that is in England hath a life to live as the greatest he. And therefore truly, Sir, I think it's clear that every man that is to live under a Government ought first by his own consent to put himself under that Government. And I do think that the poorest man in England is not at all bound in a strict sense to that Government that he hath not had a voice to put himself under.
Col. Thomas Rainsborough, Putney Debates, 1647

A God who let us prove His existence would be an idol.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Prusslandia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Prusslandia » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:09 pm

Reverend Norv wrote:On balance, I'll throw the IC up tonight, and the team can chat and banter until Aurin and Rup get a chance to post over the weekend.

Prusslandia wrote:This is rather interesting.

Though it is closed, would you be willing to telegram me if a spot opens ?

This probably isn't the sort of RP where you can come in halfway through. That said, if a player goes inactive, I'll let you know. At that time, if you can find an accepted player to vouch for you, I will consider allowing an application. Fair?

Sure.
Last edited by Prusslandia on Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Add 7000 to 8000 posts to my post count.
(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
I’m back owo

Rudaslavia
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 28, 2014
Corporate Police State

Postby Rudaslavia » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:09 pm

Sounds good.
Friends call me "Rud."

Cylarn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 25, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Cylarn » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:43 pm

-looks around nervously for IC-
✎ Member - ℘ædagog
If you are serving the US and its allies right now overseas, thank you for what you do.
Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award and the Best Crime RP Award for 2013 in P2TM. Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award of 2014 in P2TM.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:46 pm

I will likely not be able to post until late Sunday evening at the absolute earliest, as I will be away this weekend.
The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium
Ilia Franchisco Attore, King Attorio Maldive III
North Carolina | NSIndex Page | Embassies
Pop: 3,082 | Tech: MT | DEFCON: 5-4-3-2-1
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
About Me: Ravenclaw, Gay, Cis Male, 5’4”.
"Don't you forget about me."

Ex-Delegate of Ankh Mauta | NSG Sodomy Club
Minor Acolyte of the Vast Jewlluminati Conspiracy™

Aurinsula
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Aurinsula » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:47 pm

I have a question, but I'm not sure I need the Rev to answer it specifically.

What, generally, is the day-to-day of detective work? We show up at the office at 9; what do we do then? Wait at our desks until somebody tells us to do something? Where, theoretically, would we start?

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:54 pm

Astrolinium wrote:I will likely not be able to post until late Sunday evening at the absolute earliest, as I will be away this weekend.

Fair enough. We'll banter until Monday, then. It's good for character development, and makes for fun, easy, fairly short posts.

Aurinsula wrote:I have a question, but I'm not sure I need the Rev to answer it specifically.

What, generally, is the day-to-day of detective work? We show up at the office at 9; what do we do then? Wait at our desks until somebody tells us to do something? Where, theoretically, would we start?

In a normal police department, most detectives are working cases most of the time. You show up to the precinct at nine, touch base with your partner, ask the watch commander if any new witnesses have come forward, maybe touch base with forensics, and then chase down leads or spin out theories until it's time to go home.

The actual process of getting a case varies. Traditionally, detectives would "catch" cases. In other words, if you are sitting around the precinct with nothing to do and a detective is needed, you get the case, because everyone else is out working cases of their own and therefore not in the precinct. Detectives bereft of cases would sometimes wait in the precinct until midnight, hoping to be on hand if a hot call came in so that they could catch the case.

The PTPD is not a normal police department. Detectives catch and work cases based on the extent to which they have connections in the PTPD, in politics, and in organized crime. And most detective work most of the time involves finding a likely criminal to frame for a crime, not actually following leads from a specific crime.

Fortunately, the first post in the IC will make it pretty clear what y'all have been doing for the last week.
For really, I think that the poorest he that is in England hath a life to live as the greatest he. And therefore truly, Sir, I think it's clear that every man that is to live under a Government ought first by his own consent to put himself under that Government. And I do think that the poorest man in England is not at all bound in a strict sense to that Government that he hath not had a voice to put himself under.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Aurinsula
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Aurinsula » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:59 pm

Reverend Norv wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:I will likely not be able to post until late Sunday evening at the absolute earliest, as I will be away this weekend.

Fair enough. We'll banter until Monday, then. It's good for character development, and makes for fun, easy, fairly short posts.

Aurinsula wrote:I have a question, but I'm not sure I need the Rev to answer it specifically.

In a normal police department, most detectives are working cases most of the time. You show up to the precinct at nine, touch base with your partner, ask the watch commander if any new witnesses have come forward, maybe touch base with forensics, and then chase down leads or spin out theories until it's time to go home.

The actual process of getting a case varies. Traditionally, detectives would "catch" cases. In other words, if you are sitting around the precinct with nothing to do and a detective is needed, you get the case, because everyone else is out working cases of their own and therefore not in the precinct. Detectives bereft of cases would sometimes wait in the precinct until midnight, hoping to be on hand if a hot call came in so that they could catch the case.

The PTPD is not a normal police department. Detectives catch and work cases based on the extent to which they have connections in the PTPD, in politics, and in organized crime. And most detective work most of the time involves finding a likely criminal to frame for a crime, not actually following leads from a specific crime.

Fortunately, the first post in the IC will make it pretty clear what y'all have been doing for the last week.

Good answers.

While I sit here watching youtube videos, I am also hanging out on the Espernet at #LikelyLads if anyone wants to discuss anything.

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:00 pm

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:04 pm

Aurinsula wrote:While I sit here watching youtube videos, I am also hanging out on the Espernet at #LikelyLads if anyone wants to discuss anything.

An IRC is an outstanding idea!

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:06 pm

Reverend Norv wrote:We have liftoff!

I'll see if I can get a short-ish post in before I leave, to get the thread in my "View your posts" if nothing else.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:07 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
Reverend Norv wrote:We have liftoff!

I'll see if I can get a short-ish post in before I leave, to get the thread in my "View your posts" if nothing else.

Wonderful!

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

TriStates
Senator

Founded: Apr 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby TriStates » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:47 pm

Working on a post now.

Norv, any suggestions about how to have Raijen & the other PC's have more common background between each other? In the thirteen years total (as told in my app) he's been with Patrol and the Detectives, I think it would be likely he'd have some connections other than his partner.
Vytautas wrote:There are two kinds of people in this world:
* people giving a fuck,
* people not giving a fuck,
Drink Vytautas, give a NEGATIVE FUCK!
The Burning Sun wrote:...you seem to experience what I shall completely non-offensively dub the Triplex, or TriStates Complex - you spend a ton of time crafting a beautiful work of collaboration, and then you mysteriously disappear...

The Starlight wrote:
TriStates wrote::( I don't like change...

It's coarse and dry and gets everywhere. :p

But I do get what you mean.
My Past Adventures: After World

Walabam
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Walabam » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:47 pm

Oh my God, yes. I'll post tonight!
wat.

Rudaslavia
Ambassador

Corporate Police State

Postby Rudaslavia » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:05 pm

Figured I'd put that little ironic twist on the informant operation. A good chunk of Celestia's shady payments go straight into Kate Wallace's witch hunt for Mack's likely lads.
Last edited by Rudaslavia on Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Friends call me "Rud."

Mnar Secundus
Ambassador

Founded: May 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Mnar Secundus » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:05 am

Astrolinium wrote:Seems fine to me.

I'm fine with it too.

Considering that Shape and Schwarz have pretty different personalities, maybe they should have that odd friendship thing? That, or a completely professional relationship.
As for relationships with other characters, isn't there someone with fishing as a hobby? Because Shape's got that too, so it could be a basis for extra-professional acquaintanceship. Shape is a rather introverted and quiet person even among friends, so ...

Reader of The P2TM Times, a biweekly P2TM newspaper on the RPs and happenings of P2TM. Check it out!

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:58 am

TriStates wrote:Working on a post now.

Norv, any suggestions about how to have Raijen & the other PC's have more common background between each other? In the thirteen years total (as told in my app) he's been with Patrol and the Detectives, I think it would be likely he'd have some connections other than his partner.

You should certainly work on giving Raijen and the other PCs a common background. But you should do that by talking to the other players. Explain what Raijen's reputation is. Suggest things that he might have in common with other PCs, people with whom he might be friendly. Ask other players what their PCs think of yours. Brainstorm hobbies he might share with other PCs, or places he might frequent where other PCs also often turn up. Communicate. See the point?

For example, Raijen came on the PTPD two years after Mack. That means that he saw Mack's legend develop: volunteering for Corrections, taking over Atabey, and so on. The characters with a decade or more of experience with the PTPD would all have been aware of Mack back when he was working for Sam Agthoven, and would know that Mack somehow engineered Agthoven's disappearance. Raijen would know slightly more than most about Mack's background, and Mack knows a lot more than most about Raijen, because no one joins the Goon Squad unless Mack has done serious digging into his past. Mack also learned sign language when Raijen joined the team.

On Mack's side, he sees Raijen as a valuable if unpredictable tool, and as a damaged but in some ways admirable man. Mack knows that he (Mack) feels more loyalty to Raijen than Raijen feels for Mack, but he doesn't suspect Raijen of actually being an informant. He knows that Raijen is a survivor, and he both admires this about Raijen and is troubled by it, because a survivor is ultimately loyal only to himself. He knows of Raijen's feelings for Pavel, and finds them touching. He has no sympathy for Raijen's deafness; Mack believes firmly that people should play the cards that life deals them rather than complaining about the cruelty of fate. Mack appreciates the fact that Raijen is also largely devoid of self-pity.

So right there, that's my half of the preexisting relationship between these two characters - if you want to flesh out background, you just do something like that for everyone.
Last edited by Reverend Norv on Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

TriStates
Senator

Founded: Apr 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby TriStates » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:44 am

Thanks for explaining. Much appreciated.

I'll have my own part of Raijen's history with Mack up in thread once I get off my shift.
Vytautas wrote:There are two kinds of people in this world:
* people giving a fuck,
* people not giving a fuck,
Drink Vytautas, give a NEGATIVE FUCK!
The Burning Sun wrote:...you seem to experience what I shall completely non-offensively dub the Triplex, or TriStates Complex - you spend a ton of time crafting a beautiful work of collaboration, and then you mysteriously disappear...

The Starlight wrote:
TriStates wrote::( I don't like change...

It's coarse and dry and gets everywhere. :p

But I do get what you mean.
My Past Adventures: After World

Rudaslavia
Ambassador

Corporate Police State

Postby Rudaslavia » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:11 pm

I'm waiting on Norv to refill my drink.

If anyone wants to discuss preexisting relationships between their characters and mine, please don't hesitate to TG me.
Friends call me "Rud."

Nude East Ireland
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nude East Ireland » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:42 pm

"The snake who thought he was a man."

This is the best character description I've ever read.
Part One of the Incredible, Invincible Team Dai-Zarkeland!

Aurinsula
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Aurinsula » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:56 pm

Nude East Ireland wrote:"The snake who thought he was a man."

I'm the snake!

Nude East Ireland
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nude East Ireland » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:17 pm

A lot of religion in that post; my gift to you, Norv.

Aurinsula wrote:
Nude East Ireland wrote:"The snake who thought he was a man."

I'm the snake!

Sure you are.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:46 pm

Mnar Secundus wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:Seems fine to me.

I'm fine with it too.

Considering that Shape and Schwarz have pretty different personalities, maybe they should have that odd friendship thing? That, or a completely professional relationship.
As for relationships with other characters, isn't there someone with fishing as a hobby? Because Shape's got that too, so it could be a basis for extra-professional acquaintanceship. Shape is a rather introverted and quiet person even among friends, so ...

I imagine they have a professional understanding of each other, and would probably consider each other the sort of "work friends" that are fairly cordial while on the clock but don't interact much off it. Schwartz would definitely appreciate Shape's affection for Aliah, his no-nonsense approach to things, and his sarcasm. The relationship would definitely be colored by Schwartz's comparably longer tenure on the Goon Squad.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Nude East Ireland
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nude East Ireland » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:50 pm

I made sure that Costello's partner was his polar opposite.

For drama!

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:03 am

Nude East Ireland wrote:I made sure that Costello's partner was his polar opposite.

For drama!

I am considering sending Costello and Carilla on road trips all over the island, just to see what the conversation in that car is like.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse