NATION

PASSWORD

Likely Lads (Neo-Noir, OOC/Signups) [Closed]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Aurinsula
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Aurinsula » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:23 am

Walabam wrote:Damn, so far there are three characters that own motorcycles. Felipe, a Laverda 750SF. Yin, a Suzuki Hayabusa 1300, and Rebecca, a Yamaha FJR1300. Nice!

Yes, but Felipe's the only one without back issues.

Reverend Norv
Senator

Founded: Jun 20, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:28 am

So now you are all on your way to the crime scene, in pairs.
For really, I think that the poorest he that is in England hath a life to live as the greatest he. And therefore truly, Sir, I think it's clear that every man that is to live under a Government ought first by his own consent to put himself under that Government. And I do think that the poorest man in England is not at all bound in a strict sense to that Government that he hath not had a voice to put himself under.
Col. Thomas Rainsborough, Putney Debates, 1647

A God who let us prove His existence would be an idol.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Rupudska
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 16, 2010
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Rupudska » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:07 am

So, Norv, how many chapters before the Caddy gets blown up?
The Holy Roman Empire of Karlsland (MT/FanT & FT/FanT)
THE Strike Witches NationState | Retired King of P2TM
Best thread ever.
MT Factbook/FT Factbook|Embassy|Q&A
On Karlsland Witch Doctrine:
Hladgos wrote:Scantly clad women, more like tanks
seem to be blowing up everyones banks
with airstrikes from girls with wings to their knees
which show a bit more than just their panties

Questers wrote:
Rupudska wrote:So do you fight with AK-47s or something even more primitive? Since I doubt any economy could reasonably sustain itself that way.
Presumably they use advanced technology like STRIKE WITCHES

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:08 am

Rupudska wrote:So, Norv, how many chapters before the Caddy gets blown up?

Damn, you're good. A fair few yet.
For really, I think that the poorest he that is in England hath a life to live as the greatest he. And therefore truly, Sir, I think it's clear that every man that is to live under a Government ought first by his own consent to put himself under that Government. And I do think that the poorest man in England is not at all bound in a strict sense to that Government that he hath not had a voice to put himself under.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:42 am

On a completely unrelated note:

I just finished watching a British historical-drama miniseries about the English Civil War, called The Devil's Mistress (or The Devil's Whore, depending on what side of the Atlantic you're on).

It was well-acted, well-written, in love with ideas, melodramatic, full of adventure, and romantic in the oldest and best sense of the word: one character spends almost the entire series chastely pining after the spirited leading lady. It stars John Simm, Dominic West, Michael Fassbender, Peter Capaldi, and a fantastic Andrea Riseborough, who seriously looks like she just stepped out of a Rubens painting. I'm a sentimental sap in some ways, but it got its hooks in me but good: when finished it, I had that vague hollow feeling that comes of waving goodbye to fictional characters who have come to feel like old friends.

In other words, if you share my high tolerance for narrative cliches and old-fashioned sentimentality, I highly recommend the series.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Aurinsula
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Aurinsula » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:56 pm

So, does anyone actually like Felipe, or must he go elsewhere for friendship?

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:02 pm

Aurinsula wrote:So, does anyone actually like Felipe, or must he go elsewhere for friendship?

Mack likes Felipe in the same way that he likes everyone else on the team: he's one of Mack's lads, and Mack feels affection for him on that basis alone. He also thinks he's a good cop - in certain ways - and loyal to his mother, which Mack admires.

Also, I should clarify something that all of the PCs would already know. One of the peculiarities of Mack's character is that he is cheerfully bigoted against almost every group of people, but those prejudices have no impact whatsoever upon Mack's assessment of individual people. So he'll talk quite happily about spics and Yids, but he does not think of Felipe or Harry in those terms: he looks at them as individuals, with strengths and weaknesses wholly unrelated to their ethnic and religious backgrounds. Anyone who's spent a lot of time around Mack would have recognized this strange dualism, and would probably have gotten used to it.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Aurinsula
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Aurinsula » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:51 pm

Reverend Norv wrote:
Aurinsula wrote:So, does anyone actually like Felipe, or must he go elsewhere for friendship?

Mack likes Felipe in the same way that he likes everyone else on the team: he's one of Mack's lads, and Mack feels affection for him on that basis alone. He also thinks he's a good cop - in certain ways - and loyal to his mother, which Mack admires.

Also, I should clarify something that all of the PCs would already know. One of the peculiarities of Mack's character is that he is cheerfully bigoted against almost every group of people, but those prejudices have no impact whatsoever upon Mack's assessment of individual people. So he'll talk quite happily about spics and Yids, but he does not think of Felipe or Harry in those terms: he looks at them as individuals, with strengths and weaknesses wholly unrelated to their ethnic and religious backgrounds. Anyone who's spent a lot of time around Mack would have recognized this strange dualism, and would probably have gotten used to it.

Recognized? Yes. Gotten used to? Yes. Accepted? Yes. Appreciated? No way.

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:52 pm

Aurinsula wrote:
Reverend Norv wrote:

Recognized? Yes. Gotten used to? Yes. Accepted? Yes. Appreciated? No way.

Naturally. It is, after all, pretty obnoxious anyway.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Rudaslavia
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 28, 2014
Corporate Police State

Postby Rudaslavia » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:51 pm

I just had such...such...such a perfect post typed out. It was sentences away from completion, and then I accidently closed the window. Words cannot describe my infuriation right now.

I'm going to drink it off. I'll post in the morning, you guys.
Friends call me "Rud."

Aurinsula
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Aurinsula » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:03 pm

Rudaslavia wrote:I just had such...such...such a perfect post typed out. It was sentences away from completion, and then I accidently closed the window. Words cannot describe my infuriation right now.

Wine heals all wounds.

Walabam
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Walabam » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:40 pm

Rudaslavia wrote:I just had such...such...such a perfect post typed out. It was sentences away from completion, and then I accidently closed the window. Words cannot describe my infuriation right now.

Are you using Google Chrome? If so you can just go to 'Recent Tabs' and open it up again, all the text will still be there.

Happened to me a shitload of times. >:(
wat.

Nude East Ireland
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nude East Ireland » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:05 am

Walabam wrote:

Are you using Google Chrome? If so you can just go to 'Recent Tabs' and open it up again, all the text will still be there.

Happened to me a shitload of times. >:(

I'm baffled that some people don't use Chrome. It's far better than any alternative.
Part One of the Incredible, Invincible Team Dai-Zarkeland!

Cylarn
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 25, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Cylarn » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:50 am

Camp Kimberly - Camp Kimberly was a rumored CIA black site out in the Laagveldt of Portocielo. Conspiracy theorists, alleged detainees, and retired agents have made allegations that Camp Kimberly was the site of numerous abuses of detainees, who were held without their consent, tortured, neglected, starved, and executed. Kimberly was also believed to be a location in which CIA paramilitary officers trained right-wing paramilitaries in counter-insurgency tactics, often utilizing the unsuspecting FN guerrillas as target practice.
✎ Member - ℘ædagog
If you are serving the US and its allies right now overseas, thank you for what you do.
Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award and the Best Crime RP Award for 2013 in P2TM. Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award of 2014 in P2TM.

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:00 am

Cylarn wrote:Camp Kimberly was a rumored CIA black site out in the Laagveldt of Portocielo. Conspiracy theorists, alleged detainees, and retired agents have made allegations that Camp Kimberly was the site of numerous abuses of detainees, who were held without their consent, tortured, neglected, starved, and executed. Kimberly was also believed to be a location in which CIA paramilitary officers trained right-wing paramilitaries in counter-insurgency tactics, often utilizing the unsuspecting FN guerrillas as target practice.
Cylarn wrote:Cuypers Hall - Governor Wayne Cuypers come from rich Dutch stock on the island, and it was General Augustus Cuypers, a respected military officer and politician, who wasted his funds in the very un-Portocielan way of philanthropy and contributed funds for an opera house to be constructed in what is now known as Truman Square in New Leiden. The building was named in his honor, and has since become recognized as an establishment for Portocielo's fine arts to be displayed. It is very remarkable for showcasing the artistic talents of the various ethnic groups of New Leiden, especially in regards to Bossa Nova and Samba, and the like.

Both added. At least one of these will make a plot appearance.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:12 pm

I'm going to wait another day or two, in order to give Rup, Tri, Astro, and Mnar the time to get posts in. Ideally, I'd like a post from either Rup or Tri, and either Astro or Mnar, before I continue. That way all the pairs are accounted for.

But posting about driving to the scene is not plot-crucial, so in forty-eight hours I'll move this along regardless.

It's gonna be a hell of a crime scene. I hope y'all have strong stomachs.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Rupudska
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 16, 2010
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Rupudska » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:31 pm

Reverend Norv wrote:I'm going to wait another day or two, in order to give Rup, Tri, Astro, and Mnar the time to get posts in. Ideally, I'd like a post from either Rup or Tri, and either Astro or Mnar, before I continue. That way all the pairs are accounted for.

But posting about driving to the scene is not plot-crucial, so in forty-eight hours I'll move this along regardless.

I'm not sure if my stomach is strong in that way. I can stand a lot of things, gore isn't really one of them.
The Holy Roman Empire of Karlsland (MT/FanT & FT/FanT)
THE Strike Witches NationState | Retired King of P2TM
Best thread ever.
MT Factbook/FT Factbook|Embassy|Q&A
On Karlsland Witch Doctrine:
Hladgos wrote:Scantly clad women, more like tanks
seem to be blowing up everyones banks
with airstrikes from girls with wings to their knees
which show a bit more than just their panties

Questers wrote:
Rupudska wrote:So do you fight with AK-47s or something even more primitive? Since I doubt any economy could reasonably sustain itself that way.
Presumably they use advanced technology like STRIKE WITCHES

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:46 pm

Rupudska wrote:
Reverend Norv wrote:I'm going to wait another day or two, in order to give Rup, Tri, Astro, and Mnar the time to get posts in. Ideally, I'd like a post from either Rup or Tri, and either Astro or Mnar, before I continue. That way all the pairs are accounted for.

I'm not sure if my stomach is strong in that way. I can stand a lot of things, gore isn't really one of them.

Well, it will be PG-13 for forum purposes, of course. I don't anticipate that you'll have a huge problem. But forewarned is forearmed.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Aurinsula
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Aurinsula » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:52 pm

Fun stuff. I am ready.

TriStates
Senator

Founded: Apr 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby TriStates » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:31 pm

Reverend Norv wrote:
Rupudska wrote:

Well, it will be PG-13 for forum purposes, of course. I don't anticipate that you'll have a huge problem. But forewarned is forearmed.

Mentioned this about 4+ pages back when the IC was first thrown up. Said I was going to be unavailable most of next week, which is now this week, due to family funeral trip. I've also not been in the mood to write. See above. In any case, I'm back to my old self, and will manage a post tonight at least. Activity will be spotty till Friday or Saturday, as I will be on the road.

I look forward to seeing your descriptive skills at work on the gnarlyness.

@Rup, I think I already asked this, but don't recall. Would you be cool to car-pool to the crime scene? Would give us some time for our PC's to palaver and develop as partners IC'ly. Yes, or no, let me know what you'd like to do so I can anticipate what to post.
Vytautas wrote:There are two kinds of people in this world:
* people giving a fuck,
* people not giving a fuck,
Drink Vytautas, give a NEGATIVE FUCK!
The Burning Sun wrote:...you seem to experience what I shall completely non-offensively dub the Triplex, or TriStates Complex - you spend a ton of time crafting a beautiful work of collaboration, and then you mysteriously disappear...

The Starlight wrote:
TriStates wrote::( I don't like change...

It's coarse and dry and gets everywhere. :p

But I do get what you mean.
My Past Adventures: After World

Mnar Secundus
Ambassador

Founded: May 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Mnar Secundus » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:26 am

Important notice: Firstly, sorry about not posting for the last few days. We've been outrageously deprived of electricity. Eskom calls it load shedding, but I call that bullshit. I never thought I'd get tired of take-away pizza.

Secondly and more importantly, I won't be able to post until the 15th of August. It turns out my parents have a limited Internet access package / quota / contract thingy, and it was reached a while ago. As I don't want to burden them unduly with the extra costs, I shall abstain from the Internet until I get back to my place. Sorry about this, people.

Can someone take control of Christopher, or should we just write him out of the action (like he's taken the week off to go somewhere with Aliah or whatnot)? Or I could retire from the RP if you'd prefer that, Norv, although I'd rather avoid that.

Reader of The P2TM Times, a biweekly P2TM newspaper on the RPs and happenings of P2TM. Check it out!

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:16 am

Mnar Secundus wrote:Important notice: Firstly, sorry about not posting for the last few days. We've been outrageously deprived of electricity. Eskom calls it load shedding, but I call that bullshit. I never thought I'd get tired of take-away pizza.

Secondly and more importantly, I won't be able to post until the 15th of August. It turns out my parents have a limited Internet access package / quota / contract thingy, and it was reached a while ago. As I don't want to burden them unduly with the extra costs, I shall abstain from the Internet until I get back to my place. Sorry about this, people.

Can someone take control of Christopher, or should we just write him out of the action (like he's taken the week off to go somewhere with Aliah or whatnot)? Or I could retire from the RP if you'd prefer that, Norv, although I'd rather avoid that.

I certainly would not have you retire. Either I or Astro will take over Christopher until you get back. Best of luck to you, and I look forward to your return!

TriStates wrote:
Reverend Norv wrote:

Mentioned this about 4+ pages back when the IC was first thrown up. Said I was going to be unavailable most of next week, which is now this week, due to family funeral trip. I've also not been in the mood to write. See above. In any case, I'm back to my old self, and will manage a post tonight at least. Activity will be spotty till Friday or Saturday, as I will be on the road.

I look forward to seeing your descriptive skills at work on the gnarlyness.

@Rup, I think I already asked this, but don't recall. Would you be cool to car-pool to the crime scene? Would give us some time for our PC's to palaver and develop as partners IC'ly. Yes, or no, let me know what you'd like to do so I can anticipate what to post.

I'm sorry for your loss. Just post when you have the chance. And yes - partners are car-pooling to the scene.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Nude East Ireland
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nude East Ireland » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:24 am

Would the the title sequence for Likely Lads be more like Law and Order or True Detective?
Part One of the Incredible, Invincible Team Dai-Zarkeland!

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:12 am

Nude East Ireland wrote:Would the the title sequence for Likely Lads be more like Law and Order or True Detective?

More like The Wire than either, I think.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Cylarn
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 25, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Cylarn » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:49 am

Gonna be in LA and traveling cross-country with my brother back to NC. Posting time will be limited, but I will do what I can.

By the way, are there any places I should eat at in LA?
✎ Member - ℘ædagog
If you are serving the US and its allies right now overseas, thank you for what you do.
Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award and the Best Crime RP Award for 2013 in P2TM. Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award of 2014 in P2TM.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse