NATION

PASSWORD

Likely Lads (Neo-Noir, OOC/Signups) [Closed]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Reverend Norv
Senator

Founded: Jun 20, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:38 pm

Rupudska wrote:
Cylarn wrote:Mind if I claim The Dragon?

Man, I wanted the Dragon. Prolly would've claimed it if my internet hadn't cut out.

No more than two characters per role, but two is fine. It's yours, Rup.
For really, I think that the poorest he that is in England hath a life to live as the greatest he. And therefore truly, Sir, I think it's clear that every man that is to live under a Government ought first by his own consent to put himself under that Government. And I do think that the poorest man in England is not at all bound in a strict sense to that Government that he hath not had a voice to put himself under.
Col. Thomas Rainsborough, Putney Debates, 1647

A God who let us prove His existence would be an idol.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Malshan
Senator

Founded: Sep 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Malshan » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:40 pm

Reverend Norv wrote:
Malshan wrote:It looks wonderful, Norv, and I'll certainly enjoy reading it. But it's not my cup of tea to play, I'm afraid.

What a pity. Too realistic, I suppose?

Just a tad. I do enjoy reading about this sort of thing, but you know how much I like my fantasy elements.
ET IN ARCADIA EGO
A certain therianthropy thing.
*sigh*
My factbook
Rupudska wrote:
Hetland 2 wrote:
You catch on quick. That's why I like you. :)
I'm kidding of course you aren't a thing. You're a person.

Dude, don't insult the werefurry.

Rupudska wrote:RP Sample: Let me in, or we take another third of Mexico.
Rupudska wrote:You're NS's Wolfman, therefore your argument is negated due to bias.
"Sarcasm works so much better when you can look down your fire-breathing nose at someone." -Callistan Sairias
"Lupus magnus est, lupus fortis est, lupus deus est."
I'm an atheist, transhumanist, asexual, cladotherian (Canini) male.
Also known as Canarius, your friendly-ish dog person Lycanthropic American.
Kshrlmnt wrote:Malshan

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:40 pm

Astrolinium wrote:I think I'll join. I am, notably, working full-time until the end of the month, and will be starting a very rigorous semester of school in the middle of next month, so I'll likely have to be involved in a capacity that allows me to post infrequently.

Hm. Let's see if another player has a similar time constraint issue. If so, we can pair your characters off. That particular detective team will just periodically go dark, that's all.

In the meantime, avoid the special roles and throw an app up. I would really, truly love to have you.
For really, I think that the poorest he that is in England hath a life to live as the greatest he. And therefore truly, Sir, I think it's clear that every man that is to live under a Government ought first by his own consent to put himself under that Government. And I do think that the poorest man in England is not at all bound in a strict sense to that Government that he hath not had a voice to put himself under.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:41 pm

Malshan wrote:
Reverend Norv wrote:
What a pity. Too realistic, I suppose?

Just a tad. I do enjoy reading about this sort of thing, but you know how much I like my fantasy elements.

Well, feel free to lurk and comment. It's not like you wouldn't do it anyway!

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Malshan
Senator

Founded: Sep 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Malshan » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:42 pm

Reverend Norv wrote:
Malshan wrote:

Well, feel free to lurk and comment. It's not like you wouldn't do it anyway!

You know me so well!
ET IN ARCADIA EGO
A certain therianthropy thing.
*sigh*
My factbook
Rupudska wrote:
Hetland 2 wrote:
You catch on quick. That's why I like you. :)
I'm kidding of course you aren't a thing. You're a person.

Dude, don't insult the werefurry.

Rupudska wrote:RP Sample: Let me in, or we take another third of Mexico.
Rupudska wrote:You're NS's Wolfman, therefore your argument is negated due to bias.
"Sarcasm works so much better when you can look down your fire-breathing nose at someone." -Callistan Sairias
"Lupus magnus est, lupus fortis est, lupus deus est."
I'm an atheist, transhumanist, asexual, cladotherian (Canini) male.
Also known as Canarius, your friendly-ish dog person Lycanthropic American.
Kshrlmnt wrote:Malshan

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:46 pm

Reverend Norv wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:I think I'll join. I am, notably, working full-time until the end of the month, and will be starting a very rigorous semester of school in the middle of next month, so I'll likely have to be involved in a capacity that allows me to post infrequently.

Hm. Let's see if another player has a similar time constraint issue. If so, we can pair your characters off. That particular detective team will just periodically go dark, that's all.

In the meantime, avoid the special roles and throw an app up. I would really, truly love to have you.

Will do, although, would it be okay if I do a lovely little twist on the "family man" role without actually fulfilling it (since I'd be bending what you want for that anyway)?
The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium
Ilia Franchisco Attore, King Attorio Maldive III
North Carolina | NSIndex Page | Embassies
Pop: 3,082 | Tech: MT | DEFCON: 5-4-3-2-1
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
About Me: Ravenclaw, Gay, Cis Male, 5’4”.
"Don't you forget about me."

Ex-Delegate of Ankh Mauta | NSG Sodomy Club
Minor Acolyte of the Vast Jewlluminati Conspiracy™

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:56 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
Reverend Norv wrote:

Will do, although, would it be okay if I do a lovely little twist on the "family man" role without actually fulfilling it (since I'd be bending what you want for that anyway)?

Go for it. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:59 pm

Reverend Norv wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:

Go for it. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Awesome.
The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium
Ilia Franchisco Attore, King Attorio Maldive III
North Carolina | NSIndex Page | Embassies
Pop: 3,082 | Tech: MT | DEFCON: 5-4-3-2-1
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
About Me: Ravenclaw, Gay, Cis Male, 5’4”.
"Don't you forget about me."

Ex-Delegate of Ankh Mauta | NSG Sodomy Club
Minor Acolyte of the Vast Jewlluminati Conspiracy™

Cylarn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 25, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Cylarn » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:16 pm

For the radio code "ten-two thousand," 10-18 is the actual ten-code for urgent assistance.
✎ Member - ℘ædagog
If you are serving the US and its allies right now overseas, thank you for what you do.
Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award and the Best Crime RP Award for 2013 in P2TM. Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award of 2014 in P2TM.

Jorgamunn
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Jorgamunn » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:37 pm

Sweet Mary Jesus. Thats a beautiful OP. Anyways do I still get to keep my side business Norv? Frlm my app from Tales of Deviance.

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:42 pm

Cylarn wrote:For the radio code "ten-two thousand," 10-18 is the actual ten-code for urgent assistance.

"Urgent assistance" and "police presence required" are different things. Ten-two-thousand doesn't mean "send help," it means "officers need to show up." It could mean that a crime scene's been discovered, for example.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:43 pm

Jorgamunn wrote:Sweet Mary Jesus. Thats a beautiful OP. Anyways do I still get to keep my side business Norv? Frlm my app from Tales of Deviance.

No. All characters are Goon Squad detectives, remember? You're not running an independent ring of corrupt Detention officers.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Latznavia
Envoy

Founded: Nov 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Latznavia » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:44 pm

I'll take the rookie, just because I like the naivity aspect.

Gvozdevsk
Minister

Founded: Dec 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Gvozdevsk » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:48 pm

Well this isn't nearly as intimidating as I thought it would be. It's too bad my inspiration for creating characters is at an all time low or I probably would join.
Last edited by Gvozdevsk on Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jorgamunn
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Jorgamunn » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:52 pm

Reverend Norv wrote:
Jorgamunn wrote:Sweet Mary Jesus. Thats a beautiful OP. Anyways do I still get to keep my side business Norv? Frlm my app from Tales of Deviance.

No. All characters are Goon Squad detectives, remember? You're not running an independent ring of corrupt Detention officers.

Nah i mean the Alternative Music Club. Just that alone.

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:07 pm

Jorgamunn wrote:
Reverend Norv wrote:

Nah i mean the Alternative Music Club. Just that alone.

Why don't you write an app before you start asking for special favors? And if you start working on your spelling and grammar, it will go a long way toward pleading your case. My standards are a lot higher in that area than Cy's.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:07 pm

Gvozdevsk wrote:Well this isn't nearly as intimidating as I thought it would be. It's too bad my inspiration for creating characters is at an all time low or I probably would join.

Well, perhaps inspiration will strike when you least expect it. This will stay open for at least a week or so; keep it in mind.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Walabam
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Walabam » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:20 pm

Well, this looks promising enough. Will get a fresh app up by tonight!
wat.

Galdius
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Galdius » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:31 pm

This is some really stellar work.
Ave Alea Necis

Life's but a walking shadow. Honor. Love. Friends. But in there's death. Curses.

Jorgamunn
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Jorgamunn » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:34 pm

Reverend Norv wrote:
Jorgamunn wrote:Nah i mean the Alternative Music Club. Just that alone.

Why don't you write an app before you start asking for special favors? And if you start working on your spelling and grammar, it will go a long way toward pleading your case. My standards are a lot higher in that area than Cy's.

Alright alright, this time I'll work from my laptop instead off my phone.

Cylarn
Postmaster-General

Postby Cylarn » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:25 pm

I will look into recruiting others.
✎ Member - ℘ædagog
If you are serving the US and its allies right now overseas, thank you for what you do.
Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award and the Best Crime RP Award for 2013 in P2TM. Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award of 2014 in P2TM.

Wolfenium
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 17, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Wolfenium » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:41 pm

Seems good. Might not post an app, but I'll read. :)
Name: Wolfenium| Demonym: Wolfener/Wolfen| Tech Level: MT/PMT/FanTech (main timeline) or FT/FanTech
Factbook (under revamping): MT | PT
Characters: Imperial Registry of Houses (PT: Historical Archives)
Embassies: Wolfenium's Diplomatic Quarters - Now open to Embassies and Consulates
National Symbols (Applies for both MT/PMT and FT): Flag (Elaborate)|Anthem

/人 ‿‿ 人\ { Make a contract with me, and save me from the Homu-devil! )

Rudaslavia
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 28, 2014
Corporate Police State

Postby Rudaslavia » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:33 pm

I'll probably have my app up at some point tomorrow. In addition to her personality and biography, I'm fleshing out the history of Celestia's family/bloodline to a much more detailed extent. I hope it turns out to be a good app. :)
Friends call me "Rud."

Cylarn
Postmaster-General

Postby Cylarn » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:03 pm

Role, If Any: The Dragon.

Name: Ronald "Ronnie" Viljoen.

Appearance: Viljoen.

Personality: Ronnie is loyal to the PTPD, and the Goon Squad most of all. He feels as though he owes Mack a debt that he cannot pay in his lifetime, and has instead dedicated himself to serving as one of the Lieutenant's top detectives. When dealing with the power players, children, and the elderly of the island, he's very professional and courteous, more than willing to hear them out. When dealing with scumbags, he is much more informal, and more prone to agitation unless he's dealing with someone familiar to the Goon Squad. Being a detective, he understands predatory natures and analysis, using both to his advantage when working with the Goon Squad. He's not above drawing blood on the orders of Mack, who often utilizes Ronnie for sensitive work.

Quite strange are his views on love. Despite having once been happily married, he feels as though true love and sex do not always go hand in hand, with sex operating independently of the feeling of love. He truly loved his beautiful wife, Andrea Cuypers-Viljoen, who was the older daughter of Governor Cuypers. He enjoyed her company and making her happy, even going as far as to conspire with the likes of Liam Mackenzie in order to locate, kidnap, and kill a Green Cobra hood who had assaulted and raped his beloved wife, the attack of which had led to Andrea's untimely death. He is still saddened over her loss, which was 6 years prior to the current events of the RP, although he has entered into a relationship with Andrea's younger (and less successful) sister, Jamie. She's nothing compared to Andrea, but she managed to swoop in at the right time and woo Ronnie.

Ronnie must also balance his profession with caring for his 8-year-old son, Christopher, who was only 2 when his mother was killed. Without his wife's nurturing guidance and the demands and stresses of his job, he finds it hard to bond with his son, who has become obsessed with appliances and other distractions that Ronnie has provided him with in order to make up for not always being there for his son. He tries his damndest to keep up with his son and be a good father, but the boy is getting older and Ronnie's prominence within the Goon Squad presents a major obstacle, with Christopher's grandparents and even his aunt having to care for the boy and provide him with direction, while Ronnie is out doing God-knows-what in the city.

Likes: A walk on the beach, fine whiskey, a day of relaxation, money, Mack, sex, sex with Jamie, Adult Swim, marijuana, dogs, open water swimming, cigars, hunting, his wife's smile, taking Jamie out to a nice dinner at Ortolan's, drinking, his son, the small amount of free time he gets to spend with his son.

Dislikes: Indios, Green Cobras, Ruskies, Fronte Nacional, Laagveldt, delusions, street drugs.

Fears: His greatest fear would be to lose Jamie, especially after losing her sister.

Hobbies: Taking Jamie out for an evening, open water swimming, hunting, driving, spear-fishing, doing his job.

Skills: Ronnie Viljoen had spent 10 years of his career with Patrol, serving as a Sergeant with the esteemed Rapid Patrol Response unit, which served as a sort of mobile SWAT team, similar to the NYPD's Emergency Service Unit and the HKPD's Police Tactical Unit. As such, he is well-versed in advanced driving tactics, extensive firearms usage, crowd control techniques, urban combat tactics, high-risk scenarios, hostage negotiations, advanced first aid, advanced HAZMAT/Explosive Disposal response, and subject control (he is a black belt in Krav Maga, and he has dabbled in Lucha Libre). He has also served with the OCU for 5-6 years, solely as a member of the Goon Squad. His time with the Goon Squad has given him incredible insight into the workings of Portocielo's criminal underworld, along with "enhanced" interrogation experience, how to plant evidence and cover up a crime scene, and advanced interview skills, to name a few.

In addition to his law enforcement skills, being an islander has allowed Ronnie to learn and speak fluently English, Spanish, and Dutch, while dabbling in the creole spoken by Portocielo's black residents. Ronnie is also an athlete, and a known figure in the island's world of open water swimming. He also has his open water scuba certification.

Weaknesses: Ronnie's vices are many. Perhaps his greatest would be his moderate sex addiction, though he's never been diagnosed with it. He can't seem to keep it in his pants, and he has found himself wasting money at The Yellow Rose. In addition to his sex addition, he has developed a habitual usage of marijuana, of which he is constantly smoking to suppress the symptoms of his burgeoning PTSD, which he has suffered from as a result of his traumatic experiences in life.

Birthplace: New Leiden, Portocielo.

Nationality: American.

Ethnicity: American (Scots-Irish/German)/Dutch Islander.

Political Views: Centrist.

Sexuality: Heterosexual.

Religion: Agnostic.

Education: Bachelor's Degree in Criminal Justice from Virginia Military Institute.

Residence: Thanks to a combination of his father-in-law's wealth, Ronnie's activities with the Goon Squad, and Andrea's previous work as a board member of the island's tourism agency as well as a trustee for a lavish art gallery in downtown New Leiden, he and Andrea live in a hacienda-style home in Angelwood.

Biography: Ronald Eugene Viljoen was born in 1976 to Henrik Viljoen, a federal prosecutor, and Valerie Nixon, a defense attorney. His father was an islander who could trace his lineage back to one Gustavus Viljoen, who had come to Portocielo in the mid-1700s from the Cape Town Colony in South Africa, and Henrik had previously served as a prosecutor with the Dutch courts, before he took up service with the federal courts in New Leiden. Val had come to the island in 1970 following law school, seeking to make it big as a defense attorney in a city of crime. With good looks and quick wits, Val had worked her way into becoming legal counsel for many powerful criminals on the island, eventually crossing paths in the federal court in New Leiden with Henrik. The two were initially adversaries, until the day that Henrik asked Val to go to lunch with him, on a whim. It worked, and the two began to hit it off. By 1975, they were married, and they welcomed their only child, Ronald, into the world the next year.

Even as a baby who could barely crawl, Ronnie was adventurous. Despite investing in playpins and enclosures, Ronnie would always find his way out and get himself into some sort of mess, be it knocking over delicate objects or eating the dogs' food, with the Viljoens owning two Rhodesian Ridgebacks named Charles and Judy, both of which loved young Ronnie. As he got older, he went on even more adventures, spending time with his grandfather, an old retired cop with the Korps Nationale Politie, back when Portocielo was owned by the Dutch. Old Willie would take his grandson everywhere, from the beaches of New Leiden and even out into the Laagveldt to hunt, much to the chagrin of Henrik and Val. It was with his grandfather that he developed his desire to be a police officer.

He was a good student in high school, participating in swimming and Student Council. When graduation came around, he had been accepted into the prestigious Virginia Military Institute. He enjoyed the military atmosphere, but the Territorial Police of his homeland were always at the back of his mind; it's what he wanted to do in life. He graduated with a degree in Criminal Justice, and made his way back home, where he enrolled in the PTPD's academy. He graduated among the top of his class, and scored top marks with his FTO. During his first year on his own, he found love.

Andrea Cuypers, the eldest - and more successful - daughter of Governor Cuypers, was seemingly way out of Ronnie's league when they met at the scene of a car wreck in downtown New Leiden. They were about the same age, but instead of serving as a public servant like her father or Ronnie, the stunning Dutch beauty was already an esteemed artist and violinist. Ronnie fell for her the moment he met her, and rather than let Traffic handle the crash investigation and the hunt for the hit-and-run driver, he took it upon himself to investigate the case. Much to her appreciation, he kept her in the loop with every development in her case, and was proud to inform her when he brought in the perp. His efforts paid off; she invited him to go out to dinner with her and her father.

Strangely enough, Wayne Cuypers got along with his daughter's soon-to-be love interest, and Ronnie and Andrea entered into an intimate relationship shortly after. She was a loving, loyal, graceful creature, and it was only 2 years later that Ronnie and Andrea held their wedding on Webb Beach. Their marriage lasted for 7 years, with very little strife between the two, despite Ronnie's sexual appetites. Andrea was strangely ok with Ronnie's views on love and sex, and Ronnie did everything he could to show his affection for his wife. The couple eventually had a son, named Christopher. In the boy's infant years, Ronnie and Andrea were model parents, each devoting time to the child's well-being, while also looking out for one another's needs. Ronnie had it good. However, fate would pull his family apart and remind him that good things could never last.

Before we get to the abrupt end of their marriage in 2010, let's look at Ronnie's police career. Up until 2010, he was a Patrol man. He moved from Standard to Rapid Response, arguing that these were the greatest years of his career. He enjoyed pulling up on high-risk calls and beating up criminals, and he ended up training with many elite police units around the world as violent crime and gunfights erupted in New Leiden, many of which Ronnie would partake in, much to Andrea's chagrin. During the Guzman Riots of '07, RPR was the first specialty unit on the scene, since all RPR officers carry assault weapons and riot gear in their marked trucks and SUVs. Corporal Viljoen organized the original police response, organizing the responding officers into a defensive line as protesters hurtled bricks, bags of shit, trash, and other items at the riot officers. Ronnie was not the least bit phased by the violence as he moved up and down the line, firing beanbag rounds into the mob and ordering his officers forward despite the ever-growing crowds. Thanks to Ronnie, the protesters were pushed from Truman Square back to Monteflores. For his bravery and leadership, he was awarded the Police Bravery Cross. He also participated in the Morning Raid, though he isn't keen on discussing the controversial operation.

By '10, he was a supervisor and a Sergeant over RPR. He had trained with the SAPS Flying Squads, the HKPD's Police Tactical Units, and the NYPD's ESU, integrating skills he learned with the three units into RPR. Then, tragedy struck. Following a late-night art expo, Andrea's cab was ambushed on High Street by the Green Cobras. The vehicle was stopped, and Andrea was pulled out, beaten, robbed, and raped. A Patrol unit had found her the next morning, barely clinging to life. Having worked the night shift, Ronnie allowed himself not a bit of rest and sped as fast as he could to the hospital. He held Andrea's hand as she slowly drifted away, balling his eyes out. The woman that he wanted to grow old with had died. Broken, angry, and distraught, he found himself at Madelena's. After drowning himself in Cachaça and curbstomping a Green Cobra who had wandered into the bar, he was confronted by none other than Liam Mackenzie.

Mack knew what had happened to Andrea, and he offered to help Ronnie. Placed on administrative leave, Ronnie joined Mack in tracking down the scumbag responsible, eventually kidnapping him and delivering the hood to a slow death of being devoured by pigs, in the pig pen of some old hacienda in the Laagveldt. Ronnie owed Mack one, and made the decision to join up with the OCU Lieutenant. He was transferred over to CID, and thus began his work with the Goon Squad. In 5 years, he grew to be a trusted confidant of Mack, trusted with the most sensitive assignments that Mack had on hand.

Shortly after joining the Goon Squad, Ronnie found himself in a relationship with Andrea's younger sister, Jamie. It started out as a purely sexual relationship between the two, but it soon grew into something more. While she's no Andrea, Jamie is still something else, and she's someone that Ronnie finds himself attracted to. Also a plus is that his involvement with Jamie is a thorn in the side of Gabriel Lanza, whom Ronnie detests. Ronnie must also juggle the responses of being a father for Christopher, which he unfortunately bungles due to the fact that his son only sees a workaholic cop who drowns him with materialistic gifts and not enough fatherly guidance.

I hope you don't mind, but I gave Cuypers another daughter, likely his favorite daughter at that.
Last edited by Cylarn on Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:12 am, edited 8 times in total.
✎ Member - ℘ædagog

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:47 am

My internet is on the fritz today, but I will respond to y'all once it is fixed. Cy, it looks good, but we should talk about Jamie, Andrea, and the plot once I have a reliable connection.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse