NATION

PASSWORD

World On Fire: Operation Pathfinder

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nature-Spirits
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nature-Spirits » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:00 pm

It was time to depart.

Adrienne sighed, half relieved that they would be leaving, and half worried about what lay on the other side of the Gate. Not only did she continue to be apprehensive about cities, but now they were heading into a city occupied by enemy forces. Of course, this was by no means the first time she would be riding off to battle, but it was the first time said battle was any more than a small territorial skirmish. And -- she had to admit, even if only to herself -- she was nervous about heading off to the front. Yes, she knew that she was not strictly going to be directly involved in major battles, but nevertheless, she would undoubtedly be involved in direct combat with someone, quite possibly in the upcoming week. And, despite all her mental preparations beforehand, the fact that the hour was now here -- not tomorrow, not next week, not even this evening, but now -- hit her like a brick. Adrienne realised that she was frightened.

She refused to let the others see her fear. She hid behind a stony mask of silent indifference.

Lee approached a bookshelf and pulled a book from it. Adrienne stared in confusion for a few seconds, wondering what he was doing. Then, she heard a metallic clanking, as though a machine were working behind the bookshelf. Slowly, the bookshelf split, and Adrienne raised her eyebrows at it as the two halves receded, revealing a tunnel. It seemed to her a very strange mechanism -- one that, but for the mechanical sound indicating a machine, she would have attributed to magic. Briefly, she wondered how much more the mundanes were capable of that she was unaware of. "Please follow me," Fleming instructed them, glancing back at the group before proceeding into the tunnel.

Her butterfly bat its wings a few times and fluttered up from Adrienne's hand, returning to sit motionlessly on her shoulder as she leaned down to retrieve her faded carpet bag and long, thin bundle wrapped in off-white cloth. One held firmly in each hand, she walked purposefully towards the entrance to the tunnel.

As they walked through the passageway, the witch glanced around. She tried not to let her discomfort show, but likely failed; something about the enclosed concrete and metal area, illuminated starkly by a row of electrical lightbulbs simply felt wrong. She suppressed a shudder.

Soon, they found themselves before a large pair of metal doors. Fleming pressed a button and announced himself; the doors opened, revealing two large soldier men, whom Fleming promptly told to stand down. As she passed the guards, Adrienne stayed on alert, feeling intensely uncomfortable with being, aside from her hands and tongue, unarmed while so close to two armed soldiers. If they had wanted to, they could have killed the witch in a heartbeat, and there would not have been anything she could do to stop it. A bullet was, after all, faster than her speech.

"This is our staging/mission preparation area," announced Fleming. "As you may have guessed, most of our personnel prefers the upper levels in terms of cozyness." Indeed, the witch thought drily. The grey walls of the hallways, the electrical light, and the artificial-smelling air continued to make her uncomfortable. Abruptly, she realised why she felt this way: Everything about this environment was utterly unnatural. In Fleming's office, there had at least been wood, the light had been less harsh, and the air had smelled natural (if not strictly of nature). Here, there was only concrete and metal, and the light and air truly seemed manmade. An image of great, empty blue skies danced through Adrienne's mind, and she felt long dry grass tickling her naked legs as her bare feet dug into the cold, damp earth. A breeze danced over her skin and moved her dark hair out of her face, as a ladybug landed on her foot and began crawling its way up her ankle. The sun warmed her skin.

The sight of a great machine awoke her from her reverie. It was covered with switches, lights, buttons, and various other electronic apparatus. When Elektra asked what it was, a young man in a white coat appeared, stating that it was a computer named Colossus. The witch cocked her head, wondering whether the English word "computer" had a vastly different meaning than its French cognate. As the conversation proceeded, she came to understand that this was not a normal machine, but a completely new kind of mundane technology -- something that was artificial, but able to fulfil the same role as a human computer completely on its own. A machine that can analyse data. A machine that can... think. This revelation unsettled Adrienne; she turned away, wanting desperately to move on. Internally, she repeated her earlier question about what exactly the mundanes were capable of. She was unsure she wanted to know the full answer. It was a relief when they were finally able to leave that machine behind.

When they finally arrived at their destination -- apparently it was the "armoury", though Adrienne wasn't sure of what exactly that meant (Armoire ? Why would we need to visit a wardrobe?) -- Lee handed each of them a red dossier, as Fleming explained that these were their "Agent Cards", which had on them combination codes for lockers containing their own weapons. Adrienne tucked her bundle under the arm carrying her carpet bag to take her card.

Suddenly, a white-haired, red-eyed woman appeared. Fleming seemed off-put by her arrival -- apparently he had not been expecting her -- but after a period of silence followed by his looking over her documents, said, "I see. Welcome, Miss Polikarpova, and let me apologize for forgetting about your presence. I'd guess you used a different access?" The woman nodded. Adrienne was not quite sure what to make of this woman.

When the group was granted access and Adrienne entered, her eyes went wide. Never before had she seen so many weapons, and such a variety at that. Quietly, she walked past the racks of knives, and firearms, and explosives, and various other weapons she failed to categorise at all. After glancing over her Agent Card, she found her locker and, placing her carpet bag and bundle on the floor at her feet, opened it. The witch smiled.

Inside the locker was what seemed to be a simple SMLE Mk III rifle. However, Adrienne knew that it was much more than just a rifle. It was her rifle -- ageing, but reliable and familiar. And, more importantly, it was enchanted.

Not long after Adrienne had been taught to use a broom, she had had a rifle thrust into her hands. Despite the girl's apparent lack of magical talent, her mother -- a witch named Toinette, whose skill with charms had earned her much renown in francophone Canada's occult world -- was determined to make her good at something. Hence, not only did she excel at flight, but she became one of the best shooters among the Coven's younger population. Soon enough, she was able to combine these two skills, and began shooting targets while in flight. Hours upon hours of practice allowed her to hone this ability, until she was able to hit a target from hundreds of feet away while flying faster than many of her peers' top speeds.

When she had decided to join the military, her mother had come to see her. The two women had always had a difficult relationship, but Adrienne was heading off to war, and Toinette did care for her daughter's life, at least. She wanted to help, even if only from across the ocean. Hence, she had charmed Adrienne's rifle, giving it what amounted to three modes, each activated through a specific incantation. The first, which Adrienne had nicknamed the "mode plombique", caused the bullet fired to lodge itself in the target and gain weight dramatically, in order to slow the target down and restrict their movement, while causing very little damage. The second, which she had nicknamed the "mode étourdante", caused the bullet fired to blind and deafen the target for several seconds upon impact, while causing less damage than would be done normally but causing a similar amount of pain. The third, which she had nicknamed the "mode normale", had no special abilities and rendered the rifle mundane until she chose to activate one of the other modes. Of course, the first two required a small supply of prana to each bullet as long as its charm was in effect; when that supply was denied, the bullets were rendered completely ordinary.

Adrienne picked up the rifle, feeling its weight in her hand. It was not overly heavy, but nevertheless had a heft to it; capable of being easily used in flight or on the ground. She slowly stroked the wooden barrel, then traced her finger around the ring of metal that was the muzzle. Abruptly, she lifted it to her shoulder, peering down the sight, her finger dancing over the trigger. It felt just right like that. She squinted. "Feu d'métal," she whispered, and she could feel her mother's magic -- it had a distinctive feel to it, one that she easily recognised from having handled hundreds of Toinette's charmed objects throughout her life -- reach out to her from the wood and metal, "'est lourde cette balle." The magic imbued into the rifle shot through its surface into her hands, connecting with her own prana. She felt the inside of the weapon with her mind, noticed the way the air inside had almost become more heavy. "J't'abats, j't'abasourdis," she whispered, and she felt a change in the rifle. "J'te tourne, j't'étourdis." For a split second, her prana was pushed back to the surface, then it snapped back, reconnecting with the rifle's latent charm. This time, it felt different, though it was still definitely Toinette's work. The air inside the barrel was not heavy, but rather light, and as she focused on it, Adrienne felt herself becoming somewhat lightheaded. She stopped feeling around the rifle with her prana, leaving it there as she returned her focus to her five mundane senses. "J'tire sans pouvoir," she whispered finally, "charme, au revoir." And, at that, she suddenly felt the connection cut off, and the rifle was once again a normal gun. She probed it for a second with her prana, but there was nothing except, perhaps, a hint of the latent charm hidden inside; any witch or magus who did not know what exactly to look for would be unable to detect it.

Adrienne placed the rifle down, kneeling beside her carpet bag. It was not a particularly large or small bag, but its size on the inside had been enhanced somewhat: it could hold a small amount more than what its outer dimensions would suggest, so that it could store a fallow-coloured cotton dress, a tan cotton nightgown, a chestnut brown overcoat, her hat, undergarments, and a good-sized bottle of scotch (which she was not sure she was allowed to have, but it would seem that if she was not, no one had noticed its presence), without making it seem full at all on the outside. Noticing that several others had changed their clothes, the witch removed the overcoat, standing to put it on, and buttoned it up; if she remembered correctly, Poland was a fairly cold place. Then, after stashing her Agent Card within and determining that she did not need anything else from within the carpet bag, and that she could not conceivably fit either her rifle or her bundle inside, she closed it.

Next, she stood up, tucking her bundle and rifle under her arm and picking up her carpet bag, and closed the locker door. She wandered over to where a number of knives were on display. After looking them over for a minute, she picked one up: it was a Bowie knife. She examined it for a few seconds before deciding that it would do, and put it inside her carpet bag. Adrienne went on to find ammunition for her rifle, which also went in her carpet bag, and located a sling that she used to hang her rifle on her shoulder, under the overcoat.

Having completed her preparations, she glanced around the room. Notably, Markus had shifted into his half-beast form; the witch wrinkled her nose in disapproval. She looked away to see what the rest of the team was doing; some had also finished their preparations, while others were still looking over the weapons. She looked over at Clark, wondering whether she should apologise for embarrassing him.
Last edited by Nature-Spirits on Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM Translation Service Thread
A Proud Portal Nationalist
The P2TM Depot – for all your RPing needs

Cosplaying as a Posadist | LOVEWHOYOUARE~ | Kinky Syndicalist

Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Agritum » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:50 pm

Reverend Norv wrote:Matt nodded at Polikarpova's rifle. "That looks like a fine piece." Matt wondered whether the esper would respond aloud or silently. "From how far away are you accurate with it?"

Polina smiled again, clenching the body of the rifle between her hands. There was a sharp contrast between the girl's pristine, gentle fingers clutching against the rugged wooden finish of the weapon, whose stock was so heavy and rigid it could've very well doubled as a cudgel to be smashed in the face of an advancing Kraut. Without opening her mouth, Polina 'spoke' again.

"About 550 meters with optics in most combat situations, but sometimes I can feel the bullet out of my eye range and make some adjustments to the trajectory to gain a little more distance. Using only the ironsights, I am generally on point up until 185 meters. Adjusting bullets is easier on a closer range, too." she rang in Matthew's head. "I unfortunately don't know their exact equivalent in yards. Is there anything else you need to know about, comrade Beecher?"

While making said mental query, Polina looked at the Minuteman's weaponry with a keen interest, before looking directly in the man's eyes. "Comrade Beecher, your consciousness feels different from the one of an ordinary human. I take it you aren't one?" Polina added, as her smile widened a little bit, as if finding some sort of understanding glee in Beecher's condition, some sort of consciousness that both she and the American serviceman were neither here nor there, neither mundane or occult, but something different. It seemed that Polina's gentle smiles could express particularly complex concepts on those who beholded them.

Wolfenium wrote:Pacing into the armoury with intrigue, Ariel seemed quite impressed with... well... everything. From Turing's state-of-the-art computer to the staggering array of weapons, she looked like a bright-eyed child on her first day to an all-you-can-eat candy store. But as much as she looked the part of a silly, braindead blonde heiress, Ariel was in fact quite knowledgeable at firearms. Picking up a Thompson M1928A1, she made a quick check of the weapon through a partial dismantling. Fitting it back in quick precision, she quickly sighted down the range in front of her.

"Looks like you got the new A1s," she mused, picking up an arming sword as well from one of the blade racks, "pity, I quite liked the mobster feel from the older ones, but I suppose less jamming is better for everyone."

The little witch, in contrast, looked absolutely appalled by the sights. Trailing at the back of the group, she had a foot turned towards the entrance as if waiting to run. Standing in front of one of the weapon racks, she buttoned up her lip nervously. She did not like the idea of arming herself with a weapon, protection or not. It just felt wrong to her.

"I don't know," she muttered, "I shouldn't be arming myself with any of these. It's just... damning for me."

She never even stated her name yet. Not that she was unwilling to, but she appeared genuinely scared about going through with the mission.

Agritum wrote:M glanced at the team, only to meet eyes with a never seen before fair-haired, red-yed young woman who was apparently handing over her own dossier-ID. "W-who are..." Fleming was about to shout, before a calm, polite voice resounded in his head, in plain sounding but good English.

"Lieutenant Polina Apollinarovna Polikarpova, Telekinetic and Telepathic Esper. Reporting for duty."

Fleming, a bit unsettled, checked her documents. She seemed perfectly in order. " I see. Welcome, Miss Polikarpova, and let me apologize for forgetting about your presence. I'd guess you used a different access?"

Polina just nodded, not replying verbally, but gifting Fleming with a genuine smile, before putting herself in queue behind the others, as procedure dictated. Fleming noticed that, other than her Agent ID, she also clutched a book bound in red texture, with a Cyrillic title emblazoned in relief on it.

"I bet it's Das Kapital." Abraham wondered in his thoughts. "Oh, no, it's the State and Revolution by Vladimir Lenin, Comrade Abraham." a soft, ethereal female voice rang in his head. He turned back to see a smiling Polina holding the book towards him. " Want to read?" she asked non-verbally, her mouth remaining stuck in said light smile. "I'll check it later, but thank you...Miss." Abraham replied, in embarass. Polina nodded in understanding, and resumed reading the book.

"If I were you, I'd refrain from poking people's minds without permission," a voice tersely reprimanded Polina in her mind, "not that your government has any respect for privacy anyway."

Stopping just beside the Soviet telepath, Milena gave a cold, intense glare as she tested her own abilities. She could tell the woman had her outmatched in terms of her abilities; Milena herself had little strength in telekinesis at the moment. That, however, did not stop her from poking at her. She felt some lines needed to be drawn for everyone's sake.

Polina looked away from Abraham, and scanned the little girl whose voice had rang in her head. Her expression came to resemble the one of a concerned but lenient mother, the wise look of an older sister. "I shall not contact your consciousness furthermore, Milena." she replied back, in complete silence.

"While we may stand on opposite ideological sides, my current interest here is to ensure a professional relationship with you and other fellow team mates. I can understand how you would feel disturbed by my close psychical presence, and in respect of your right to be the master of your body, I will take my leave unless you wish otherwise" Polina explained, before closing off her 'channel' with Milena.

However, as she was about to resume speaking with Matt, Polina spotted the young, squirming witch on the other side of the room. She visibly grimaced at the girl's condition, and focused her view on her.

"What troubles you, dear? Are you scared?" she softly echoed in Anna's head, still gazing towards her.

Lunas Legion
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Lunas Legion » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:10 pm

Robert sat impassively as the secret passage opened. Why exactly did they need a secret passage in the HQ of Shadow-whatever it was? It seemed a bit redundant, given the security he'd passed through on the way in, but they had their reasons no doubt. The tunnel Fleming led their little group down was lit by electrical lights until they reached a large blast door, which opened after Fleming had a brief conversation over an intercom.

When it opened revealing two gruff-looking men wielding Sten guns, he once again mentally questioned the point of a secret passage if there were regular guards down here. It was more minimalistic down here; grey walls, the occasional sign. It reminded him a lot of his lab back in the US, but without the black marks from various explosions or the slightly eaten-away texture from misused acid or incorrectly-proportioned transmutations.

The so-called 'computer' caught his attention. The mechanical ones they had weren't that useful in his opinion; they merely did maths, and not complicated maths at that. A good human could do it quicker. Making an electronic one had never occurred to him, and that one existed intrigued him. Those Jewish clay-workers could create golems, animated creatures of clay; perhaps this 'computer' could control something similar? Yet it's sheer size indicated otherwise, and even as Fleming suggested one post-war might 'fit in a small basement', his idea of a computer-controlled golem silently died.

They moved on quickly, to a door labeled ARMOURY. He took the offered card and stashed it in his jacket pocket. The amount of weaponry inside was... Large, to say the least. He counted several strange Japanese-looking swords, multiple weapons he recognised as Nazi or Italian from newsreel footage from the British in North Africa, and hundreds he didn't recognise, and he didn't know how to use any of them.

He wasn't a soldier; he'd gone through basic, sure, but he'd still never fired a shot in anger in his life. He'd joined out of a misguided sense of patriotism and that he wasn't too fond of what he'd seen when he was last in Germany, the first of which he now regretted. He walked among the racks, silently ruling out weapons that he didn't recognise or looked like they needed some level of accuracy. He hadn't been the best marksman at boot camp, to say the least.

The locker was, surprisingly, rather full. No clothes; evidently they knew he'd be in military-issue gear already given the manner of his arrival in the UK. Instead, a shotgun he recognised as a M12 Remington with a strap leaned against the side, a bandolier of shotgun shells sitting at it's base with a pair of shell boxes filling the rest of the bottom of the locker, a note resting on top of them.

Mr Karlmann,

We were not entirely sure what to provide you, given your field and it's limited uses in combat combined with your... Not spectacular results in training. Therefore, this modified M12 shotgun has been provided along with two boxes of 12 shells and a bandolier capable of holding 12. These shells have been specially modified so that after being fired, they can be reloaded with alchemical compounds in place of conventional pellets in the field.

He pulled on the bandoleer, feeling distinctly uncomfortable, before placing the ammo boxes into his rucksack of many things and pulling the shotgun's strap over his left shoulder, leaving it's stock resting against his right hip. Shrugging, he moved away from his locker to take a serrated knife and leg holster which he slipped into his boot along with a Luger from the table of Nazi weapons and a box of ammo for it and put those in his rucksack too. It was more than enough firepower for him.
Last edited by William Slim Wed Dec 14 1970 10:35 pm, edited 35 times in total.

Confirmed member of Kyloominati, Destroyers of Worlds Membership can be applied for here

Reverend Norv
Senator

Founded: Jun 20, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:53 pm

The team geared up.

Clark Harris changed into a brown three-piece suit and a trenchcoat. His shoes were shiny. He carried a 1911, a revolver, grenades, two knives, brass knuckles, and a BAR variant half the weight of Matt's Heavy BAR. He looked like a Chicago gangster. He handled the weapons with practiced ease. He looked deadly.

Ariel Remington grabbed a Thompson submachine gun. She, too, looked like she knew what she was doing. She grinned as she examined the weapon. Commandos, Matt thought.

Adrienne Lapierre picked up a bolt-action rifle and murmured over it in French. Matt felt the hair stiffen on the back of his neck. It was not an ordinary rifle. Matt nodded thoughtfully to himself.

Robert Karlmann grabbed a pump-action shotgun and a bandolier of shells, and stuffed a Luger in his boot. He looked ridiculous. Matt felt some of his fear about the man dissipate. It was hard to be intimidated by someone who looked so powerfully like a child playing dress-up.

The team's two espers both reacted to Polikarpova's appearance. Anatoly looked pleased to have found a fellow Soviet. From the other side of the armory, Milena gave Polikarpova a ferocious glare.

Sure enough, Polikarpova replied to Matt telepathically. Matt had been expecting something of the sort, but when a voice actually spoke in his head, it still came as a shock. The only voice that Matt had ever heard in his head was his own. Now he heard a woman's voice: clear, almost ringing, speaking perfect English. Matt felt his eyes go saucer-wide.

"About 550 meters with optics in most combat situations," Polikarpova's voice said, "but sometimes I can feel the bullet out of my eye range and make some adjustments to the trajectory to gain a little more distance. Using only the ironsights, I am generally on point up until 185 meters. Adjusting bullets is easier on a closer range, too. I unfortunately don't know their exact equivalent in yards. Is there anything else you need to know about, comrade Beecher?"

That was impressive accuracy. Matt felt a sudden impulse strike him. Inspiration? More like inference. Matt concentrated slightly, and formed his thoughts into words.

Thank you, Comrade Polikarpova. The form of address came more easily to Matt than he would have expected, for all Matt's loathing of Stalin and his ilk; after all, Polikarpova was a comrade-in-arms. I take it then that you are - Matt paused, rummaging through his mental library of Classical roots, searching for the right words - telekinetic as well as telepathic. It's a pleasure to meet you.

Matt watched Polikarpova's eyes. They were studying his weapons, his body armor. Polikarpova smiled. Matt saw understanding flare in her eyes: recognition, as if of a long-lost family member. The esper's voice spoke in Matt's head again. "Comrade Beecher, your consciousness feels different from the one of an ordinary human. I take it you aren't one?"

Matt smiled quietly. He took a deep breath. He let the woman's cool voice into his mind, to witness and observe. He remembered.

Winding concrete tunnels beneath the New Mexico sands. Men in white coats and surgical masks staring down. The needle hooked to his arm, its tube leading up to a bag of high-concentration raw testosterone solution. The soreness at the sides of his neck blossoming into agony. The feel of creeping death as tentacles of cancer ate their way through his body. The heat, a furnace in the core of his chest, burning him up. The hallucinations swirling at half-blinded eyes melting from fever. The hair falling out, the fingernails falling out, revealing skin red and flaking. The sound of his skeleton creaking all through the night as it stretched. The feel of the tube scraping its way down his throat. Darkness.

Light.

The feel of being trapped in his own body. The blessed relief when the electroshock relinked synapses and let him talk. The discoveries: six more inches of height, a hundred and fifty more pounds of muscle, a breastplate of fused ribs beneath his skin. His bones were hard as iron; he could dent steel with his bare hands and suffer no injury. He remembered pens snapping in his too-big, too-strong hands. Running fast enough to keep up with an automobile. Learning to live again in a world that was too slow and too fragile. Learning to be grateful.

Matt's clear blue eyes stared directly into Polikarpova's red ones: open, frank. They said: understand.

No, Matt thought in words once more. I suppose I'm not an ordinary human. The American glanced at Clark, at Barnes. But who among us really is?

As if to underscore that point, Matt smelled werewolf-scent: raw meat, rank sweat, wet fur. A massive creature stepped out of the changing room. It looked like a gigantic wolf with the body proportions of a human; it stood eight feet tall, and had to be close to five hundred pounds. It had claws. It had teeth. It wore a sash and a loincloth, and it carried an anti-tank rifle in one massive paw-hand. It was stuffing equipment into a pack. Its claws worked dextrously.

It was Markus. Matt had no doubt. The creature looked titanically strong. But it was still ordinary muscle and bone, and Matt was not. If he could get his hands on the wolf, he could hurl it across the room. If Markus sank his claws into Matt's chest, they would rebound off Matt's ultradense ribcage. The monster was not invincible. Size mattered less than speed, and strength, and training. Matt had no reason to be afraid.

Which didn't mean that there wasn't a small mammalian part of Matt's brain that was gibbering in terror at the sight of something that big, with that many teeth.

"Well," Matt remarked to no one in particular, "at least now we know that we'll blend in with the locals in Warsaw." The Minuteman grinned ruefully and shook his head.

Matt saw Polikarpova staring across the room. Her eyes rested on the young girl who had shouted about God during the briefing. The girl was staring at the weapons, biting her lip. She muttered under her breath; Matt's enhanced hearing caught the words. "I don't know. I shouldn't be arming myself with any of these. It's just... damning for me."

I understand, Mack thought. My God, but I understand.

Dismay flashed over Polikarpova's face. She took a step toward the girl. The girl's head snapped up. Matt recognized the signs of telepathic communication.

That might not be the most comforting way of approaching someone who's already full of doubt.

For his part, Matt strolled casually up to the girl. He towered over her; she didn't even reach his shoulder. Matt leaned against the wall, about arm's length from the girl, knees subtly bent so that their faces were closer to level. The Minuteman's blue eyes were very gentle, and they searched his young companion's face.

"You know," Matt remarked quietly, "I wasn't born like this. I was made this way by the U.S. government. I volunteered for it. I still pray every day about that. I ask God if it was the right decision."

"Until I volunteered, I had never shot a gun before." Matt shook his head. "Never. My parents were missionaries. We didn't use guns. And all of a sudden, there I was, and there was this rifle pressed into my hands. Death. Death in wood and steel. It was horrifying."

Matt gently lifted a Sten gun down from the rack of weapons. The stamped-metal sub-machine gun looked almost like a toy in Matt's enormous hand. The Minuteman's bass voice was very soft, gentle, like a father telling his child a bedtime story.

"So I prayed that night. I prayed for the strength and the courage to trust my country, and myself. I prayed for the strength and the courage not to be destroyed by having to live in the presence of this death-tool. I prayed for the strength and the courage to remain whole."

"And the next morning, I picked up my rifle, and learned to kill. I walked into the darkness, and found God waiting for me there."

Matt smiled sadly. Faint wrinkles fanned out from the corners of his eyes. He said: "Faith doesn't mean that we have all the answers. It means that we can find the courage to step off the cliff, because we know that God is there to catch us when we fall."

Matt held out the Sten gun toward the girl. "My name is Matt," he said quietly. "Will you come and have faith with me?"
Last edited by Reverend Norv on Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
For really, I think that the poorest he that is in England hath a life to live as the greatest he. And therefore truly, Sir, I think it's clear that every man that is to live under a Government ought first by his own consent to put himself under that Government. And I do think that the poorest man in England is not at all bound in a strict sense to that Government that he hath not had a voice to put himself under.
Col. Thomas Rainsborough, Putney Debates, 1647

A God who let us prove His existence would be an idol.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:38 pm

Jannie was aggravated.

It wasn't just one thing, if she were to be honest. There was no single event that had set her to grinding her teeth across one another in her mouth. First there had been the other vampires. The bumbling American, ‘Terry’, who seemed embarrassing no matter what his politics, and Carmen, who was older than her she could tell. She was also, more frustratingly, some kind of Spanish Republican. Jannie had never taken too great an interest in the civil war occurring on the western end of the continent, but had been able to assign her support to the Carlists and, by extension, General Franco and the Falange. Particularly when the mad anarchists in the Soviet Union had weighed in and supported the Republicans. Even if Franco had not reinstalled the throne, or even if he wouldn't for years, it was better to have him in charge than some waffling group of nose-counters and communists.

But besides the other vampires, there was the werewolf. The creature had wasted little time in devolving into its transitory state, and now stood over even the gigantic Captain Beecher. It was also growling, snarling, and casting what she could only characterize as hungry glances at the scientists. The beast's antics, or perhaps the man-cattle's reaction to them, would have been vaguely amusing if she were watching from afar and if the werewolf wasn't supposed to be part of her 'team'. As it was, the creature's deliberate exercises of provocation were the lowest form of humor. Besides, of course, looking absolutely dreadful appearance-wise. Jannie had never liked dogs, and one being almost two-and-a-half meters tall and standing on two legs didn't change that feeling.

Then there were the espers. Another one had shown up. They both smelled. At least the one that was still a child didn’t smell.

Finally, there was the blasted human machinery. The weaponry was bad enough. Jannie had never seen much of it before in her life, having never kept all that up-to-date with what the man-cattle used to kill each other. But she could at least place some of it. Rifles still looked similar to the Lorenz muzzleloader she’d last used in the 1860s, albeit most were obviously breechloaders (she couldn’t even begin to guess how others operated). But then there were the so-called ‘machine guns’ and the ‘automatic pistols’. The former of which outright frightened her, and the latter merely baffled. The hammer was obvious on most of them, but how did one get shells into the thing? She didn’t see a loading gate anywhere, and they were all far too thin for a cylinder to even fit inside.

She grouped such things into the same mental box as the ‘computer’ that had been bleated about. More of the ridiculous man-cattles innovations that might-or-might-not catch on. She knew SHE wasn’t going to touch one of the newfangled pistols or the machine guns if she could avoid it. They were just so wasteful. The ‘computer’ she didn’t even wish to contemplate. She didn’t have the words to contemplate, if she were to be honest.

But all of that couldn’t compare to the aggravation she felt over what she needed to do now that the briefing was over.

“Mister van Helsing. Miss van Helsing.” Jannie greeted as she took up a position near the pair and stared at them in turn with her single eye. “This is not comfortable to me, so I shall get it over with quickly.”

Jannie breathed, “Your grandfather was a mass murderer of my kind. As unchristian as it may be to say, I am pleased he is dead and that I, nor my kindred, shall never have to deal with him again.” Jannie went on before either of the two could interrupt with any argument, “Your father was, I shall admit, better. I will not call his deeds appropriate, but he did not have the zeal of your grandfather.”

Jannie’s eye narrowed as she looked hard into the eyes of each of the pair, “You have likely heard a far different accounting of the Harker Affair than me or my kindred have, from one of them...Or from that book.” Jannie’s lip twitched, “At some point when we trust each other, perhaps we should compare notes to try and uncover the truth of the matter. But, whatever the case, I cannot judge either of you based on your ancestor’s deeds or…overreactions. At least, not without acting just as your despicable grandfather did. I must look at you as what you are. And, meaning no offense, to me you are children.” Jannie’s eye grew hard with the proclamation.

“So, my young friends,” Again, the lip twitched, “Now that my thoughts on your grandfather are in the open, you will have no issue with myself unless you should raise it, and my aid unless you deny it.” Jannie performed a very small curtsy, almost as if apologizing for her earlier words, rotated on a heel, and began to slowly walk along the trail of weaponry provided. She was sincere in the promise. Though uncomfortable in doing so, it was her duty. And that, to steal a man-cattle colloquialism, was that.

Jannie’s locker contained a much less fashionable, but more mundane in every way, pair of brown trousers and a white man’s shirt. With a belt and overcoat that had seen much better days. That was it. Jannie wasn’t surprised, but was humorously disappointed. With the capability she’d seen of SHADOCOM so far, she’d half-expected her favorite sabre from her mansion in Liberec to be inside the metal cage. Alas, it had likely been looted or discarded by her brother and his Nazi allies. Jannie changed into the clothing provided.

“Well, is this not disgusting? I am supposed to look like some filthy peasant-girl, I suppose? How despicable.” Jannie said, sending a brief look at Fleming as she looked down in disgust at her new clothing and grabbed a scabbard holding a familiar-looking blade. She had kept-up on sabers much more than firearms due to the demands of fencing. She had also much preferred her stint in the Austrian cavalry in the 1860s compared to that in the infantry a half-century earlier. Muskets had been so dirty, noisy, and unpleasant.

Jannie belted the scabbard on, and flapped the overcoat to cover it. Even untied, the sword was hidden from view. She grinned at the memory of Clam-Gallas’ extremely…colorful…teaching of swordsmanship to her decades before. He would, she was sure, be apoplectic over her positioning the scabbard out-of-view. Of course, he’d have been disgusted at the thought of her going into battle unmounted, as well. There was something distinctly comforting about the memories, even if she’d had to pretend to be male then. It was less destructive. She feared the results the war would have on the man-cattle. The last one had decimated a generation. What would this one do?

"It is an odd man who would agree to be part of a group like this, would you not say?" Jannie asked Adreinne nodding at Clark as she stepped beside the girl. Jannie was looking over--thank God--a row of revolvers. Revolvers she could actually use, unlike the dearth of 'automatic' pistols laid out. Jannie picked one up that somewhat resembled a service revolver she'd seen before in the Austrian Army, but discovered it was Russian instead. Properly Russian. The markings on the side, as near as Jannie's terrible Russian could decipher, credited its construction to the 'Imperial Peter the Great Ordnance Factory' circa 1915. Many of the other pistol's with such markings seemed to have them scratched out and overwritten by Soviet emblems. Jannie took the revolver.
Last edited by Occupied Deutschland on Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Wolfenium
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 17, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Wolfenium » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:54 pm

Agritum wrote:Polina looked away from Abraham, and scanned the little girl whose voice had rang in her head. Her expression came to resemble the one of a concerned but lenient mother, the wise look of an older sister. "I shall not contact your consciousness furthermore, Milena." she replied back, in complete silence.

"While we may stand on opposite ideological sides, my current interest here is to ensure a professional relationship with you and other fellow team mates. I can understand how you would feel disturbed by my close psychical presence, and in respect of your right to be the master of your body, I will take my leave unless you wish otherwise" Polina explained, before closing off her 'channel' with Milena.

However, as she was about to resume speaking with Matt, Polina spotted the young, squirming witch on the other side of the room. She visibly grimaced at the girl's condition, and focused her view on her.

"What troubles you, dear? Are you scared?" she softly echoed in Anna's head, still gazing towards her.

"Uwaaaaaaah," screamed the petrified girl, as Polina's voice ringed in her head, "there's a voice in my head!"

For the poor Pennsylvanian, the supernatural had always been an alien place. Even the mundane world outside the colony felt strange to her. However, Polina had done a brilliant job frightening her with her ironic question. It was enough to make Milena scowl in the distance, quite displeased with the sight.

"You know that using telepathy qualifies as 'poking into people's heads' too, Polikarpova," Milena denounced in an arrogant tone, "use your mouth like everyone else, unless you actually forgot how to speak properly!"

It was a fairly unreasonable demand, especially since she was outranked. But the cripple did not like the way she was talking inside people's heads like it were natural. Everything about Polina just seemed... intrusive. While Milena herself was a telepath, she felt she should not openly flaunt and abuse her powers like her Soviet counterpart, a misunderstanding that was waiting to happen in any case.

Reverend Norv wrote:Matt saw Polikarpova staring across the room. Her eyes rested on the young girl who had shouted about God during the briefing. The girl was staring at the weapons, biting her lip. She muttered under her breath; Matt's enhanced hearing caught the words. "I don't know. I shouldn't be arming myself with any of these. It's just... damning for me."

I understand, Mack thought. My God, but I understand.

Dismay flashed over Polikarpova's face. She took a step toward the girl. The girl's head snapped up. Matt recognized the signs of telepathic communication.

That might not be the most comforting way of approaching someone who's already full of doubt.

For his part, Matt strolled casually up to the girl. He towered over her; she didn't even reach his shoulder. Matt leaned against the wall, about arm's length from the girl, knees subtly bent so that their faces were closer to level. The Minuteman's blue eyes were very gentle, and they searched his young companion's face.

"You know," Matt remarked quietly, "I wasn't born like this. I was made this way by the U.S. government. I volunteered for it. I still pray every day about that. I ask God if it was the right decision."

"Until I volunteered, I had never shot a gun before." Matt shook his head. "Never. My parents were missionaries. We didn't use guns. And all of a sudden, there I was, and there was this rifle pressed into my hands. Death. Death in wood and steel. It was horrifying."

Matt gently lifted a Sten gun down from the rack of weapons. The stamped-metal sub-machine gun looked almost like a toy in Matt's enormous hand. The Minuteman's bass voice was very soft, gentle, like a father telling his child a bedtime story.

"So I prayed that night. I prayed for the strength and the courage to trust my country, and myself. I prayed for the strength and the courage not to be destroyed by having to live in the presence of this death-tool. I prayed for the strength and the courage to remain whole."

"And the next morning, I picked up my rifle, and learned to kill. I walked into the darkness, and found God waiting for me there."

Matt smiled sadly. Faint wrinkles fanned out from the corners of his eyes. He said: "Faith doesn't mean that we have all the answers. It means that we can find the courage to step off the cliff, because we know that God is there to catch us when we fall."

Matt held out the Sten gun toward the girl. "My name is Matt," he said quietly. "Will you come and have faith with me?"

Peering at the yelling child, Anna felt a bit ill at ease. It did not take her much to guess that the esper with the shoulder-length hair (Polina) was the one speaking to her telepathically. She felt a bit ashamed at overreacting, herself. Given the circumstances she was in, she should have expected worse things to happen.

It was then Matt himself came along. While an imposing giant due to his Minuteman physique, there was a gentle heart to be found within, one she could relate to, at least. Relating his experiences as a missionary's son, he seemed genuinely concerned for her safety in the absence of any firearms protection. But as much as her mind could see sense - the area they were heading was undoubtedly dangerous - her heart remained in constant denial.

"I'm... I'm sorry..." she muttered, still reluctant to lay her hand on the weapon, "I am weak. I dare not defy the Lord's commandments even if I die because of it. I can't force myself to take a life of another, sinner or not. I shouldn't even be here... I'm..."

Covering her mouth as she tried to muffle herself, the girl seemed on the verge of tears. She felt seriously torn here, as if having to trade a part of her soul for a guarantee on her life. She knew she could have been at home, doing common civilian services as a conscientious objector. But the Mennonite was too special. She had powers that made her too abnormal to be shafted for home front duties.

"I-I'm sorry..." she choked, trying to hold in her tears as she kept her head bowed, "Anna Cross, medic. I'm supposed to be healing wounds, not making more..."
Name: Wolfenium| Demonym: Wolfener/Wolfen| Tech Level: MT/PMT/FanTech (main timeline) or FT/FanTech
Factbook (under revamping): MT | PT
Characters: Imperial Registry of Houses (PT: Historical Archives)
Embassies: Wolfenium's Diplomatic Quarters - Now open to Embassies and Consulates
National Symbols (Applies for both MT/PMT and FT): Flag (Elaborate)|Anthem

/人 ‿‿ 人\ { Make a contract with me, and save me from the Homu-devil! )

Nature-Spirits
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nature-Spirits » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:30 pm

"It is an odd man who would agree to be part of a group like this, would you not say?"

Adrienne turned to the source of the vampire's voice -- somewhat startled by the manner in which she had approached so silently -- and, after a moment's hesitation, nodded in agreement. "It is very odd," she agreed. "I do not understand why such a superstitious man would willingly join a group such as this 'ere. It does not 'ave an air of logic." She sighed, shaking her head. "Despite that, I must admire 'is courage. It must be difficult, to go to war with an enemy that he sees as demonic."

Adrienne paused, looking over Jannie's new garments. The noble vampire looked quite odd in such clothes; not only her appearance, but her manner was completely at odds with how she was dressed. Perhaps she was able to pretend to be of a lower social status, however; the witch imagined that, in such a long time, she had to have learned to act well. As Jannie picked up a revolver, Adrienne looked it over; the vampire's choice of weapon was interesting, but not unexpected. "You are an admirer of simpler firearms, hein ?" she asked, absentmindedly. The witch herself felt almost daunted by the broad array of unusual weapons, many of which she could make neither heads nor tails of, so she felt that she could relate. Both of the women were out of their element to a degree.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM Translation Service Thread
A Proud Portal Nationalist
The P2TM Depot – for all your RPing needs

Cosplaying as a Posadist | LOVEWHOYOUARE~ | Kinky Syndicalist

Malshan
Senator

Founded: Sep 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Malshan » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:46 pm

Wolfenium wrote:"I-I'm sorry..." she choked, trying to hold in her tears as she kept her head bowed, "Anna Cross, medic. I'm supposed to be healing wounds, not making more..."

Markus's sensitive ears picked up on Anna's mumblings as she frantically tried to justify her not taking up arms like the rest of the unit. He himself was working on reassembling the Boys ATR, swiftly oiling the individual pieces and slotting them back into the appropriate place. The man inside him mulled over the medic's words for a few moments, chewing them over as he thought up a counterargument.

Then he spoke, casting his deepened voice across the hall with little effort. His voice, a gravelly bass, echoed through the hall, being heard clearly by Matthew and the panicking witch.

"In human medicine, ya must often harm in order to heal, yes? Amputate gangrenous limbs so that they do not infect the rest o the body, poke needles in and out of quivering flesh in order to close a gaping slash wound, or perhaps dislocate a limb to properly reset it. There is balance in this. Ya must cause harm in order to heal it."

Markus slapped the final piece into place, lifting and locking a magazine into place. He cycled the bolt on the weapon, paused to apply oil to a few places, then cycled the bolt, ejecting the cartridges. He applied oil again, cycling the bolt until he was satisfied.

"If it eases yer conscience, think o the harm these men...these 'Nazis' are doing to this world. Think o them as a disease in need of purification." Markus put down the ATR and lifted a lighter rifle, a modified Winchester Model 70. Included, apparently, for when a more discreet approach was needed. It was chambered in the standard cartridge, though the stock was enlarged and reinforced with steel strips. The trigger assembly was also enlarged, seeming to be able to accommodate Markus's human form finger.

"Nazis as a disease to be wiped away so that the rest o humanity can survive."

He paused. "Huh."

"Killing infection is still killing. Regardless of your god's orders. May as well do something useful with your sins."
ET IN ARCADIA EGO
A certain therianthropy thing.
*sigh*
My factbook
Rupudska wrote:
Hetland 2 wrote:
You catch on quick. That's why I like you. :)
I'm kidding of course you aren't a thing. You're a person.

Dude, don't insult the werefurry.

Rupudska wrote:RP Sample: Let me in, or we take another third of Mexico.
Rupudska wrote:You're NS's Wolfman, therefore your argument is negated due to bias.
"Sarcasm works so much better when you can look down your fire-breathing nose at someone." -Callistan Sairias
"Lupus magnus est, lupus fortis est, lupus deus est."
I'm an atheist, transhumanist, asexual, cladotherian (Canini) male.
Also known as Canarius, your friendly-ish dog person Lycanthropic American.
Kshrlmnt wrote:Malshan

Latznavia
Envoy

Founded: Nov 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Latznavia » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:15 am

Baker Street, England - April 27, 1942

Anatoly looked at the way that the young Polina had held her Mosin Nagant, the scope was clearly older and fitted by the way the frame was. He watched her for a few moments as she slid the bolt in and out, testing everything. He soon realized that he was not only admiring her courage, but at this point, his young teenage demeanor was revealing love and perhaps lust as well. He blushed, knowing she could read minds from the reaction of others around him. He tried to clear his head as he opened the leather satchel he had and began to load the large drum magazines of the PPSh-41, but again his mind wandered to him and that Polina walking through Moscow holding hands and staring at each other in Red Army Square. He had reached forward and grabbed a second knife by the blade, cutting him. He quickly placed the wound against his mouth and licked as he cleared the blood and it soon stopped. He sighed, what would a girl like her see in him.

He then looked down at a parcel in Cyrillic, it was odd because it had his name and Polina's name and a large manila-colored piece of paper that looked like a typed letter from the Soviet Union. He bent down and tore the note free and began to read it in his head, curious as to why it was here.

Anatoly, Polina;

In this box, we of the Moscow Research Laboratory (You may know of us, Anatoly) have worked to make new and better uniforms for the Soviet Army. However, because of the current situation in the West, testing in active battlefields is becoming hard as many soldiers are dying. As you two are new to the battlefield, we gift these new uniforms to you as it's first "Long-living" test subjects. We expect them returned when the war is over.

-The State Laboratory of Moscow, USSR.

Anatoly tore open the paper wrapping and twine ribbon that surrounded the box and opened it show two sets of uniforms. One had the name "Беляков" Which was a rough translation to Belyakov or as the English loved to spell it, Bellinkov. He grabbed his set and walked into the changing rooms just as the last person was exiting. He closed the door and locked it, before undressing his old uniform. Though the outside was clean, the inside lining showed blood wounds, suffering, mud, and old memories as he hung it on the wall. The new Uniform was a long sleeved Black shirt, button down with four pockets on the chest and a name tag. His patch on the side showed a large White One in a diamond like pattern and the words "Первых Эспер батальона" (First Esper Battalion) as well as a sword with wings and what looked like red fire. He also was given a thick coat, which he hung as well and olive green pants with black boots and a Ushanka or peaked cap, both were inside. He smiled as he placed the hat on, and then put his Sergeant pins on his collar. Soon after he walked out, very proud of his new uniform. He was unsure of what the uniform did, but he questioned little of it. He grabbed his coat, old clothes and the box and exited.

He returned to his locker and hung up his older clothes before setting the box down and looking at the young Polina. He was nervous to talk to her, what if she was like the crippled mean girl and not very nice. What if she bit his head of, wait...could she do that? She was an esper like him. The thoughts were growing increasingly terrifying, he grabbed his submachine gun and swung it over his shoulder and approached Polina.

"Miss Polina, I is Anatoly of USSR Moscow and I was given dis gift for the two of us to share. It looks like new uniform clothes from a lab. No note to what they do, but they are fashionable da?" Anatoly did a little spin to show off his uniform so far and gave the box to his Polina. "I am esper like you, but I use Earth and Water abilities to be strong. But you are properly stronger than me-self." He smiled, he meant it as a compliment and was sorry for his broken English and only prayed she understood.

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:54 am

“It is very odd, I do not understand why such a superstitious man would willingly join a group such as this 'ere. It does not 'ave an air of logic. Despite that, I must admire 'is courage. It must be difficult, to go to war with an enemy that he sees as demonic.”

Jannie nodded slightly at the witches’ words, eye resting on Clark and Willow for a brief moment. ‘Superstitious’ seemed a fair characterization for both of them. Willow’s crucifix and Harris’ seemingly knee-jerk reaction to ‘the Beast of Warsaw’ in the briefing room spoke of the more ephemeral side of human nature in both of them. It was at least partially made-up for in courage however. Some humans seemed remarkably at ease with the prospect of their own demise.

They shouldn’t be. But then, ‘logic’ was not precisely a strong point of the man-cattle in most instances. They either tried to base everything off of it, or abandoned the concept completely and replaced it with other principles. Their ‘courage’ could most often be attributed to the latter phenomenon. She could think of no other explanation for why they had stood in lines shooting each other at Austerlitz, or had wallowed in mud-filled holes in the ground for years shooting each other in the Great War. Courage overtaking reason.

It was, perhaps, their most admirable quality. Wasteful and destructive, yes. But it was such courage which would have to be promoted as much as possible if they were to confront the world on the other side of the masquerade in the coming years with anything beyond fear and distrust. It was too bad so many of them used that courage to fight for fool-headed principles like ‘democracy’, though. Perhaps she could encourage some rethinking of that particular errant philosophy now that she did not need to cloak herself in secrecy.

"You are an admirer of simpler firearms, hein?"

Jannie smirked at the question and ran a finger down the grip of another of the pistols. “Oui, mademoiselle. Though ‘admirer’ might be too enthusiastic a term. That kind of interest was always the domain of one of my brothers, Claus.” The smirk disappeared and Jannie rotated her head to take in the armory, “He would have dreamed of a collection such as this.”
Jannie returned her eye to the pistols, “I, alas, do not have his proclivity for firearms. Or an understanding of modern ones, for that matter. But revolvers do not seem to have changed so greatly. Though, I may have to get used to ammunition coming in these cartridges instead of lead balls and powder.” Jannie held a small handful of the revolver’s ammunition in her hand and jingled them around.

Man-cattle were certainly inventive when it came to finding more efficient methods of killing one another. Unbidden, the computer ran through Jannie’s head for a moment. Who knew what violent applications such a thing would be put to in the coming years?
I'm General Patton.

Minroz
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Minroz » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:05 am

“Whew~, it’s like a big Candy Store~.” Terrance whistled at the sight, both at the computer and the armoury. Genuinely impressed by everything he sees and also especially the vast assortments of weapons shown in the room, it will be troublesome to pick which one is really good to his admittance. Back to his soldier days, Terry was just one of the grunts. Now, here he is in the most possible secret base in the worlds gets to pick what he wants at his leisure.

“Jesus Christ and Mother Mary, I never thought I’ll see these goodies in my lifetime since the eighteen hundreds.” He remarked. “Maybe I should thank god for this. Amen~.”

Although, the sudden introduction of the Soviet Esper (Polina) did surprise him, his vampiric senses a great deal of power from her. He never heard of Espers in his time until now. In front of him and together with M’s explanation, there’s one in the flesh as characterised by her albino features. Not to mention, her seemingly calm personality and possible indoctrinations by Soviet propaganda to which he suspects. In any case for Terry, he’s happy to know she’s an ally for the mission as well as decent enough of a person.

“Erm…nice to meet you, missy. Pleasure to be working with ya.” Terry replied to Polina with a smile, bowing his head like a gentleman.

Going back to the weapons and pondering on what he really need to bring. Finally decided, Terry picked M1903 Springfield sniper rifle, a revolver, a KA-BAR combat knife, grenades and a Thompson machinegun as his weapons. Partially some of the weapons he chose are the ones he’s really familiar with before World War 2 started. The Springfield rifle - he used it more than once in the Word War 1 battlefields. The Thompson machinegun, he used it when stolen one from gangsters in his fight against them in his hometown of New York as a vigilante. Combined with his combat experiences in the American Civil War and mercenary work, Terry is a skilled shooter and fighter who knew some good ins-and-outs in the fight. In contrasts to most of his teammates, he seems to be alright guy for a vampire. Ironically enough, Terry seems more human than his vampire peers.

“Welp, I think I’m more than ready to go, sir. Ready when the others are.”

Wolfenium
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby Wolfenium » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:08 am

Malshan wrote:-Markus-

Stepping back at the sound of the wolfman booming in the distance, Anna could not help but bite her lip a bit. This was a character who revelled in violence, an animal in human form. She hated to fathom how he came to abandon his humanity to embrace a bestial nature, but she did not take much to think he was just posing the suggestion just to break her conscience. But unlike Matt, Markus was a dangerous person. She dared not voice her opposition too openly in case he got any ideas about breaking her skull. Still, she did not like how that train of thought goes.

"I don't believe dehumanizing others is a sound way of easing one's conscience," she uttered, clutching her chest, "how does that make us better than them? Besides which, why do you care? You don't seem like the kind to worry about people's safety."
Name: Wolfenium| Demonym: Wolfener/Wolfen| Tech Level: MT/PMT/FanTech (main timeline) or FT/FanTech
Embassies: Wolfenium's Diplomatic Quarters - Now open to Embassies and Consulates

Rupudska
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 16, 2010
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Rupudska » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:01 am

Wolfenium wrote:
Malshan wrote:-Markus-

Stepping back at the sound of the wolfman booming in the distance, Anna could not help but bite her lip a bit. This was a character who revelled in violence, an animal in human form. She hated to fathom how he came to abandon his humanity to embrace a bestial nature, but she did not take much to think he was just posing the suggestion just to break her conscience. But unlike Matt, Markus was a dangerous person. She dared not voice her opposition too openly in case he got any ideas about breaking her skull. Still, she did not like how that train of thought goes.

"I don't believe dehumanizing others is a sound way of easing one's conscience," she uttered, clutching her chest, "how does that make us better than them? Besides which, why do you care? You don't seem like the kind to worry about people's safety."

"That's because he isn't," Catherine said, this being the first time she had opened her mouth since arriving at the HQ.

"Of course the bloody mountain bogan doesn't care about others, he's a man-eater," she continued, saying the last word like it was an incredibly vulgar insult - which, in her mind, it was. The head of the Bunyip clan at the time was well known for his... intense dislike of man-eaters, and his staunch opposition to any attempts to change the admittedly draconian punishments of the clan for the act of consuming the flesh of humans.

"Oh! I'm sorry, I haven't introduced myself. Catherine Hawkins, werewolf, Commonwealth of Austraya Army. Please don't assume that greymuzzle's behavior is common among us werewolves."
The Holy Roman Empire of Karlsland (MT/FanT & FT/FanT)
THE Strike Witches NationState | Retired King of P2TM
Best thread ever.
MT Factbook/FT Factbook|Embassy|Q&A
On Karlsland Witch Doctrine:
Hladgos wrote:Scantly clad women, more like tanks
seem to be blowing up everyones banks
with airstrikes from girls with wings to their knees
which show a bit more than just their panties

Questers wrote:
Rupudska wrote:So do you fight with AK-47s or something even more primitive? Since I doubt any economy could reasonably sustain itself that way.
Presumably they use advanced technology like STRIKE WITCHES

Malshan
Senator

Founded: Sep 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Malshan » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:45 am

Rupudska wrote:"That's because he isn't," Catherine said, this being the first time she had opened her mouth since arriving at the HQ.

"Of course the bloody mountain bogan doesn't care about others, he's a man-eater," she continued, saying the last word like it was an incredibly vulgar insult - which, in her mind, it was. The head of the Bunyip clan at the time was well known for his... intense dislike of man-eaters, and his staunch opposition to any attempts to change the admittedly draconian punishments of the clan for the act of consuming the flesh of humans.

"Oh! I'm sorry, I haven't introduced myself. Catherine Hawkins, werewolf, Commonwealth of Austraya Army. Please don't assume that greymuzzle's behavior is common among us werewolves."

Markus bared his teeth in a facsimile of a human grin. "Such hatred from one o my own species. Guess that's all ah can expect from a pup still wet behind the ears. Yes, ahm a man-eater. Quite a good one too. There's nothing more exhilarating than hunting prey that hunts ya back. And the taste? That's just icing on the cake, so to speak. A reward for a good day's work."

He paused, looking at Catherine with his head tilted down, teeth now bared in a snarl. "And we're more common than ya think, bitch. Not all o our kind cowers before the masses o humanity, refusing to take par' in the ol' ways. We wolves ah protectors o the Balance. Ya whelps either forget this or are never taught this by the blasphemous cowards you call Alphas." He suddenly calmed down, shaking his head to clear the bloody haze that had begun to settle across his vision. "But yer young. You'll partake of yer forbidden fruit soon enough. War has its ways of making pups like ya into real wolves."

Markus began loading ammunition into magazines, slotting them into various pockets in his sash and belt. He hefted the ATR on its strap, slinging it over his shoulder and head, allowing it to rest crossed over his back. The smaller rifle he left hang from his shoulder. A trio of knives, steel in make, hung from his belt, shimmering softly in the light of the staging area.

"Truth be tol', ah don't care about yer wellbein'. But if ya refuse to fight in the face o death, there be no poin' to livin' at all. An a weak link in the pack could get us all killed."

Markus's stomach growled loudly, prompting him to look down and chuckle. "Speakin' o weak links, ma stomach is mine. So. When do we eat?"
Last edited by Malshan on Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
ET IN ARCADIA EGO
A certain therianthropy thing.
*sigh*
My factbook
Rupudska wrote:
Hetland 2 wrote:
You catch on quick. That's why I like you. :)
I'm kidding of course you aren't a thing. You're a person.

Dude, don't insult the werefurry.

Rupudska wrote:RP Sample: Let me in, or we take another third of Mexico.
Rupudska wrote:You're NS's Wolfman, therefore your argument is negated due to bias.
"Sarcasm works so much better when you can look down your fire-breathing nose at someone." -Callistan Sairias
"Lupus magnus est, lupus fortis est, lupus deus est."
I'm an atheist, transhumanist, asexual, cladotherian (Canini) male.
Also known as Canarius, your friendly-ish dog person Lycanthropic American.
Kshrlmnt wrote:Malshan

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:45 am

The girl was stubborn.

Polikarpova's intrusion, sure enough, did more harm than good. The girl screamed in terror. Milena shouted: "Use your mouth like everyone else, unless you actually forgot how to speak properly!" Matt shook his head wearily, and cast Polikarpova an apologetic look. "Please," he said firmly to the espers, "both of you: calm down."

Despite Matt's words, the girl didn't take the Sten gun. She whimpered apologies, tears welling in her eyes. She was Anna Cross, a medic. She said: "I am weak. I dare not defy the Lord's commandments even if I die because of it. I can't force myself to take a life of another, sinner or not."

She thought that she shouldn't be on the team. Matt was unequivocally inclined to agree.

Markus had apparently been listening to the conversation, and he called across the armory to Anna. He suggested seeing violence against Nazis as a form of healing: amputating a gangrenous limb, dislocating a limb to set it. Killing Nazis was a form of medicine.

It was a reasonable viewpoint, which surprised Matt. He was rather more surprised that an eight-foot creature with the head of a wolf could form words at all, let alone coherent sentences.

Markus' words did nothing to soothe Anna's conscience. Matt was not surprised. This isn't about a healer's reluctance to kill. This is about a Christian's reluctance to violate the Sixth Commandment. Matt was impressed to see that Anna showed some spunk in her response. "I don't believe dehumanizing others is a sound way of easing one's conscience," she snapped. "How does that make us better than them? Besides which, why do you care? You don't seem like the kind to worry about people's safety."

Matt shook his head and chuckled quietly. But then the dark-skinned woman in the lightweight suit spoke for the first time.

"That's because he isn't," the young woman barked. She had a thick Australian accent; Matt was abruptly reminded of some of the British imperial functionaries in Burma during his youth. "Of course the bloody mountain bogan doesn't care about others," she declared. "He's a man-eater." There was a pause. "Oh! I'm sorry, I haven't introduced myself. Catherine Hawkins, werewolf, Commonwealth of Austraya Army. Please don't assume that greymuzzle's behavior is common among us werewolves."

Matt nodded slowly. Right, right. He remembered this from his briefing: most werewolves did not hunt humans. Markus was a larger-than-life personality in a whole range of ways, most of them bad - but that didn't make him a representative sample. It was worth remembering that.

Markus responded predictably: he bared his fangs and snarled contemptuously about Catherine's youth and the manifold joys of eating men and women. "Not all o our kind cowers before the masses o humanity, refusing to take par' in the ol' ways. We wolves ah protectors o the Balance. Ya whelps either forget this or are never taught this by the blasphemous cowards you call Alphas."

Matt stepped away from Anna, and put himself firmly between Catherine and Markus. He cast a warning glance between them. His gaze rested steadily on Markus. He gave a tiny, cautionary shake of his head.

Markus calmed down. He turned back to loading his magazines. He told Anna: "Truth be tol', ah don't care about yer wellbein'. But if ya refuse to fight in the face o death, there be no poin' to livin' at all. An a weak link in the pack could get us all killed."

It was partially true. But it was also exactly the wrong thing to say. And Matt had heard about enough. His voice went flat, like a hammer striking steel. "Markus. Stop. Now."

With that, Matt turned his back and faced Anna. "It's not true that there's no point in living if you refuse to fight in the face of death," Matt said wearily. The girl still seemed close to tears. Matt walked closer to her and went down on one knee so that his head was level with Anna's. "I admire your courage, Anna. And your humanity." Matt laid his hands gently on the girl's shoulders. "I would never want to do anything to make you abandon those things. And I won't. I promise, Anna. You have my word."

Matt raised his eyebrows. "So can we make a deal, kiddo?" He held out the Sten again. "Just carry it. If you can't bring yourself to shoot it, then don't shoot it. I'll understand. I'll respect your decision. No one is going to force you to break God's commandments. No one is going to force you to kill. I swear it." Matt sighed. "But I need you at least to carry this, Anna. For me to let you walk into the middle of Warsaw entirely unarmed...that would be for me to break God's commandments, too. You understand?"

"So just carry it. If you never shoot it, you never shoot it. So be it. But for my sake, carry it." Matt offered the Sten. "Please, Anna."
For really, I think that the poorest he that is in England hath a life to live as the greatest he. And therefore truly, Sir, I think it's clear that every man that is to live under a Government ought first by his own consent to put himself under that Government. And I do think that the poorest man in England is not at all bound in a strict sense to that Government that he hath not had a voice to put himself under.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Agritum » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:31 pm

Latznavia wrote:Baker Street, England - April 27, 1942

Anatoly looked at the way that the young Polina had held her Mosin Nagant, the scope was clearly older and fitted by the way the frame was. He watched her for a few moments as she slid the bolt in and out, testing everything. He soon realized that he was not only admiring her courage, but at this point, his young teenage demeanor was revealing love and perhaps lust as well. He blushed, knowing she could read minds from the reaction of others around him. He tried to clear his head as he opened the leather satchel he had and began to load the large drum magazines of the PPSh-41, but again his mind wandered to him and that Polina walking through Moscow holding hands and staring at each other in Red Army Square. He had reached forward and grabbed a second knife by the blade, cutting him. He quickly placed the wound against his mouth and licked as he cleared the blood and it soon stopped. He sighed, what would a girl like her see in him.

He then looked down at a parcel in Cyrillic, it was odd because it had his name and Polina's name and a large manila-colored piece of paper that looked like a typed letter from the Soviet Union. He bent down and tore the note free and began to read it in his head, curious as to why it was here.

Anatoly, Polina;

In this box, we of the Moscow Research Laboratory (You may know of us, Anatoly) have worked to make new and better uniforms for the Soviet Army. However, because of the current situation in the West, testing in active battlefields is becoming hard as many soldiers are dying. As you two are new to the battlefield, we gift these new uniforms to you as it's first "Long-living" test subjects. We expect them returned when the war is over.

-The State Laboratory of Moscow, USSR.

Anatoly tore open the paper wrapping and twine ribbon that surrounded the box and opened it show two sets of uniforms. One had the name "Беляков" Which was a rough translation to Belyakov or as the English loved to spell it, Bellinkov. He grabbed his set and walked into the changing rooms just as the last person was exiting. He closed the door and locked it, before undressing his old uniform. Though the outside was clean, the inside lining showed blood wounds, suffering, mud, and old memories as he hung it on the wall. The new Uniform was a long sleeved Black shirt, button down with four pockets on the chest and a name tag. His patch on the side showed a large White One in a diamond like pattern and the words "Первых Эспер батальона" (First Esper Battalion) as well as a sword with wings and what looked like red fire. He also was given a thick coat, which he hung as well and olive green pants with black boots and a Ushanka or peaked cap, both were inside. He smiled as he placed the hat on, and then put his Sergeant pins on his collar. Soon after he walked out, very proud of his new uniform. He was unsure of what the uniform did, but he questioned little of it. He grabbed his coat, old clothes and the box and exited.

He returned to his locker and hung up his older clothes before setting the box down and looking at the young Polina. He was nervous to talk to her, what if she was like the crippled mean girl and not very nice. What if she bit his head of, wait...could she do that? She was an esper like him. The thoughts were growing increasingly terrifying, he grabbed his submachine gun and swung it over his shoulder and approached Polina.

"Miss Polina, I is Anatoly of USSR Moscow and I was given dis gift for the two of us to share. It looks like new uniform clothes from a lab. No note to what they do, but they are fashionable da?" Anatoly did a little spin to show off his uniform so far and gave the box to his Polina. "I am esper like you, but I use Earth and Water abilities to be strong. But you are properly stronger than me-self." He smiled, he meant it as a compliment and was sorry for his broken English and only prayed she understood.

Polina was still mortified for having contributed into scaring the nimble witch in the corner of the room. Being berated by Milena was another hard hit for the Russian esper, who appeared incredibly distressed at the notion of speaking with her own mouth. The little menshevik's suggestion to use her vocal chords triggered a confused expression in Polina's eyes, as if someone had suddenly asked her to walk with her hands, or wear her clothes inside out. It was as if she found the very notion of verbal communication to be alien to herself.

Even then, the sight of Beecher's tender encouragements towards Anna managed to break Polina's embarassment by a bit. She lightly smiled at the gentleness the giant man radiated towards the young girl. It was the duty, no, it was the rule for the strong to protect the weak. Polina remembered having been told so ever since her childhood, and the sight of someone abiding to that golden rule filled her heart with warmth.

Anatoly's broken English suddenly threw Polina off from her musings of admiration. She glanced at the fellow Soviet, suppressing a small giggle. "Comrade, why do you use English? That's silly of you!" she mentally remarked, her melodic psychic voice ringing in Russian into Anatoly's head. The female esper looked at her colleague with an entertained smile, and checked out the unmistakeable clothes of the Esper Battalions. Her smile widened even more, becoming one made of genuine hilarity. " It is very kind of you to inform me of the presence of our new service uniforms, Comrade, but I believe this is a plainclothes mission. But thank you anyways: I'll take a note for when we'll embark in a more conventional operation" she replied politely, keeping her smile and not speaking even once.

Occupied Deutschland wrote:Jannie was aggravated.

It wasn't just one thing, if she were to be honest. There was no single event that had set her to grinding her teeth across one another in her mouth. First there had been the other vampires. The bumbling American, ‘Terry’, who seemed embarrassing no matter what his politics, and Carmen, who was older than her she could tell. She was also, more frustratingly, some kind of Spanish Republican. Jannie had never taken too great an interest in the civil war occurring on the western end of the continent, but had been able to assign her support to the Carlists and, by extension, General Franco. Particularly when the mad anarchists in the Soviet Union had weighed in and supported the Republicans. Even if Franco had not reinstalled the throne, or even if he wouldn't for years, it was better to have him in charge than some waffling group of nose-counters and communists.

But besides the other vampires, there was the werewolf. The creature had wasted little time in devolving into its transitory state, and now stood over even the gigantic Captain Beecher. It was also growling, snarling, and casting what she could only characterize as hungry glances at the scientists. The beast's antics, or perhaps the man-cattle's reaction to them, would have been vaguely amusing if she were watching from afar and if the werewolf wasn't supposed to be part of her 'team'. As it was, the creature's deliberate exercises of provocation were the lowest form of humor. Besides, of course, looking absolutely dreadful appearance-wise. Jannie had never liked dogs, and one being almost two-and-a-half meters tall and standing on two legs didn't change that feeling.

Then there were the espers. Another one had shown up. They both smelled. At least the one that was still a child didn’t smell.

Finally, there was the blasted human machinery. The weaponry was bad enough. Jannie had never seen much of it before in her life, having never kept all that up-to-date with what the man-cattle used to kill each other. But she could at least place some of it. Rifles still looked similar to the Lorenz muzzleloader she’d last used in the 1860s, albeit most were obviously breechloaders (she couldn’t even begin to guess how others operated). But then there were the so-called ‘machine guns’ and the ‘automatic pistols’. The former of which outright frightened her, and the latter merely baffled. The hammer was obvious on most of them, but how did one get shells into the thing? She didn’t see a loading gate anywhere, and they were all far too thin for a cylinder to even fit inside.

She grouped such things into the same mental box as the ‘computer’ that had been bleated about. More of the ridiculous man-cattles innovations that might-or-might-not catch on. She knew SHE wasn’t going to touch one of the newfangled pistols or the machine guns if she could avoid it. They were just so wasteful. The ‘computer’ she didn’t even wish to contemplate. She didn’t have the words to contemplate, if she were to be honest.

But all of that couldn’t compare to the aggravation she felt over what she needed to do now that the briefing was over.

“Mister van Helsing. Miss van Helsing.” Jannie greeted as she took up a position near the pair and stared at them in turn with her single eye. “This is not comfortable to me, so I shall get it over with quickly.”

Jannie breathed, “Your grandfather was a mass murderer of my kind. As unchristian as it may be to say, I am pleased he is dead and that I, nor my kindred, shall never have to deal with him again.” Jannie went on before either of the two could interrupt with any argument, “Your father was, I shall admit, better. I will not call his deeds appropriate, but he did not have the zeal of your grandfather.”

Jannie’s eye narrowed as she looked hard into the eyes of each of the pair, “You have likely heard a far different accounting of the Harker Affair than me or my kindred have, from one of them...Or from that book.” Jannie’s lip twitched, “At some point when we trust each other, perhaps we should compare notes to try and uncover the truth of the matter. But, whatever the case, I cannot judge either of you based on your ancestor’s deeds or…overreactions. At least, not without acting just as your despicable grandfather did. I must look at you as what you are. And, meaning no offense, to me you are children.” Jannie’s eye grew hard with the proclamation.

“So, my young friends,” Again, the lip twitched, “Now that my thoughts on your grandfather are in the open, you will have no issue with myself unless you should raise it, and my aid unless you deny it.” Jannie performed a very small curtsy, almost as if apologizing for her earlier words, rotated on a heel, and began to slowly walk along the trail of weaponry provided. She was sincere in the promise. Though uncomfortable in doing so, it was her duty. And that, to steal a man-cattle colloquialism, was that.

Jannie’s locker contained a much less fashionable, but more mundane in every way, pair of brown trousers and a white man’s shirt. With a belt and overcoat that had seen much better days. That was it. Jannie wasn’t surprised, but was humorously disappointed. With the capability she’d seen of SHADOCOM so far, she’d half-expected her favorite sabre from her mansion in Liberec to be inside the metal cage. Alas, it had likely been looted or discarded by her brother and his Nazi allies. Jannie changed into the clothing provided.

“Well, is this not disgusting? I am supposed to look like some filthy peasant-girl, I suppose? How despicable.” Jannie said, sending a brief look at Fleming as she looked down in disgust at her new clothing and grabbed a scabbard holding a familiar-looking blade. She had kept-up on sabers much more than firearms due to the demands of fencing. She had also much preferred her stint in the Austrian cavalry in the 1860s compared to that in the infantry a half-century earlier. Muskets had been so dirty, noisy, and unpleasant.

Jannie belted the scabbard on, and flapped the overcoat to cover it. Even untied, the sword was hidden from view. She grinned at the memory of Clam-Gallas’ extremely…colorful…teaching of swordsmanship to her decades before. He would, she was sure, be apoplectic over her positioning the scabbard out-of-view. Of course, he’d have been disgusted at the thought of her going into battle unmounted, as well. There was something distinctly comforting about the memories, even if she’d had to pretend to be male then. It was less destructive. She feared the results the war would have on the man-cattle. The last one had decimated a generation. What would this one do?

"It is an odd man who would agree to be part of a group like this, would you not say?" Jannie asked Adreinne nodding at Clark as she stepped beside the girl. Jannie was looking over--thank God--a row of revolvers. Revolvers she could actually use, unlike the dearth of 'automatic' pistols laid out. Jannie picked one up that somewhat resembled a service revolver she'd seen before in the Austrian Army, but discovered it was Russian instead. Properly Russian. The markings on the side, as near as Jannie's terrible Russian could decipher, credited its construction to the 'Imperial Peter the Great Ordnance Factory' circa 1915. Many of the other pistol's with such markings seemed to have them scratched out and overwritten by Soviet emblems. Jannie took the revolver.

Abraham would have politely replied to Jannie that he was aware of his grandfather controversial past, that he was relieved that neither he and the vampiress bore particular unmotivated ills towards each other, and that he would have gladly enjoyed a scholarly debate on the circumstances of the Harker Affair, maybe even with some antology books, newspaper cutouts and some tea to sip while discussing. However, true to her vampire nature, the countess had ended the conversation incredibly fast and with a blunt, mood-killing note.

Abraham stood widefaced for a few seconds, trying to regain his composure after Jannie's thinly veiled attack at his own expertise. He gazed at Elektra, trying to understand how his siter had reacted. Elektra, true to her Germanic roots, eyed Jannie from afar with a grim glare that spoke of anger. "Don't be troubled by her words, Abe." his adoptive sister said "she's just letting out some pent out anger over her beloved kindred brothers selling her to the Swastika, and we're the scapegoat. Vampires are like bees, when they are not being like ticks: kick their secluded, gerarchical hive around a bit and they get very, very angry."

Abraham gave a disappointed look at the young woman. "I thought you were above such kind of thinking, Elektra. Remember what father told us? That the weakness of many ancient vampires is thinking that all humans are unexceptional, unremarkable, harmless to them. And the reverse is true to: we're so jaded by our inner drives to ambition and progress and fulfilling faith, that become jaded and underestimate the values and qualities of those undying beings."

Elektra smirked. "Your mundane naivety is showing, big brother."

Abraham sighed. "You're becoming too much of an archetypal Hermetic, Elektra." he replied, in disappointment.

Wolfenium
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby Wolfenium » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:08 pm

Glancing aside as she tried to avoid the wolfman's gaze, Anna could only feel her heart sink faster. She did felt like she was a dead load among the team, and her abject refusal to bear arms was only going to weigh the whole operation down. She did not care all that much about becoming a victim of her actions, but she dared not drag anyone else down for it. Fortunately, there were others to speak up for her to chase the sour werewolf away, including what she hoped was a far more civilized werewolf, at least based on her claims.

Turning back to Matt, Anna rubbed her hands nervously as he asked for her to bear arms again. She knew in her mind that arming herself was sensible here, and he had the tact to appeal to her heart too. Biting her lip, her hands finally motioned at the Sten gun's handgrip and butt stock. It felt incredibly heavy for her to carry, not so much of its physical weight, but the mental burden it brought to her.

"Sorry..." she apologized, hugging the weapon as she tried to stifle her tears, "I'll hold on to this... I hope you're right... It's so heavy..."

She could only pray that she never had to use it. It seemed like a path she could not take going down.

Latznavia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Latznavia » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:43 am

(Giving up the intro until we get to the mission start.)

"Comrade, why do you use English? That's silly of you!" Anatoly's head rang with the almost musical voice of Polina. It sent him back to the battlefield station he had one year ago, a small farmhouse in a mass prarie or mass grave for Nazis called Shlotz. The family had abandoned all but their phonograph, some records, and some spring beds. He remembered every night of playing the Soviet records and listening to the classical voice of some heavenly maiden, questioning what she looked like and what she truly felt as her voice filled the house and voided the bombshells and artillery. He smiled as he handed her the clothes. "It is very kind of you to inform me of the presence of our new service uniforms, Comrade, but I believe this is a plainclothes mission. But thank you anyways: I'll take a note for when we'll embark in a more conventional operation" she spoke through her psychic means.

"I apologize, I had figured because of our Western allies, I must learn to speak English or become avoided by them. I learned quite fast judging by their expressions. It was amusing." He said aloud in perfect Russian, smiling, then he looked down. He would stuck out like a sore thumb in snow with this and decided to grab some clothes from the dressing room and do a new outfit. He waved goodbye to Polina and walked back into the room. Removing his uniform, he felt embarrassed, his general excitement had made him forget his true mission.

He slipped on a white dress shirt, taking some shoe polish and smearing it a bit and rubbing sleeves against the walls to show age. He then grabbed a flat cap and did the same rubbing procedure. The lead walls easily showed some discoloration. Then grabbed some leather trousers and created a slight hole in the knee and rubbed it, before smearing a little shoe polish on the sides by mistake, but it worked for the illusion. He put on the suspenders and then his old muddy Combat boots from Russia. He finished his onsomble with a thick trenchcoat which almost matched the pants color.

He looked in the mirror and smiled, he looked like a young Lenin, traveling man. Now if only he could grow a mustache in five seconds, but he kept his appearance and walked out, making sure to kick anything in his way to scuff the shoes to ensure their aging process. He placed his old uniform in the locker then waved to Polina as he reproached her.

"Look at me, Polina. I look like Lenin." He joked as he spoke Russian again. He then did the pose that Lenin was known for. Hand in the jacket, with the other outstretched, to impress her, smiling hoping she didn't think he was some dork.
Last edited by Latznavia on Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mnar Secundus
Ambassador

Founded: May 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Mnar Secundus » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:51 am

Sophie ambled into the Armory with a slightly bored look, her glance lost in the rafters as she headed towards the lockers absentmindedly. Of course, this was a front, albeit an unconscious one: the maga's mind was cycling at full speed.

Specifically, she was thinking about the "computer" they had just left behind. The machine had been fascinating: a device for decryption and superhumanly fast calculations, apparently, but that was only the surface, she could feel it in her bones. After all, any information could theoretically be encrypted and reduced to codes, to numbers, to computational data. If they could work out the proper languages ... Well, that and deal with the issue of unwieldiness, because that thing is too big.
But that wasn't the main point of Sophie's reflections. After all, she was a maga at heart; and that meant that, while she was atypically fascinated by this piece of Mundane technology, the first thing on her mind was always magecraft. Sophie was quite sure that this computer thing could be replicated with magical methods, if enough disciplines were to collaborate. Indeed, she could already imagine ways of allying Mundane technology and magecraft in one machine. Runes could help to encrypt the data, and if we reinforced the physical components, they could work better all around ... She was so taken in her thoughts that she almost completely missed the umpteenth philosophical disagreement between her new comrades-in-arms. Admittedly, this was not a very severe loss.

Shaking her head sharply to dispel her focus and filing her mental blueprints into the "future projects" folder of her memories, Sophie opened the compartment she had been directed to: she had been relieved of her handgun when she had entered the SHADOCOM headquarters, which had been entirely expected, and it was mildly comforting to see the weapon again, what with transforming werewolves arguing less than a dozen meters away from her.
Sophie was a decent shot with both rifles and handguns -- the former due to having hunted on a regular basis during her travels, and the latter thanks to self-defense courses she had taken before embarking on said travels. The decision to actually carry a firearm for purposes other than entertainment had been rather avant-garde by the standards of most magi, but Sophie had never regretted it. Overcoming firearms was a basic test for magi, yet she had found there was a great difference between what could be theorized on paper or achieved in experimental conditions and what could be done in the heat of the moment. Pulling a trigger was almost always faster than firing a spell, and less hindered by adrenaline.

At any rate, her pistol was certainly a customized design. She had taken a Beretta M1935 and infused it with as much magic as she could get away with: the ... thing still looked mostly like a Beretta to Mundane eyes, but its grip was discreetly graven with a dozen runes, and featured a very small razor edge below the trigger ring. The runes on the grip were also minutely carved in a ring on the inside of the barrel, near the muzzle: if Sophie cut her finger on the razor blade and spread blood on one (or several) of the runes in the grip, this would activate the same rune inside the barrel, which would then be imprinted on the next bullet to be fired through the combination of heat and prana.
This design had one considerable advantage: it could enchant any bullet as it was fired. This way, the tedious effort of individually enchanting every piece of ammunition before using it was avoided entirely. The result was less powerful than a properly, directly enchanted bullet, but it sufficed for most purposes. Moreover, there were runes graven all over the Beretta which, upon activation, would enhance its accuracy and range, make it more durable, and a host of other alterations. It was a rare hybrid of technology and magecraft, even though the technical principles behind it were surprisingly simple, and Sophie held it almost as dear as her wands.

Aside from her Beretta, the maga stocked up on Ofuda paper and ink, as well as on short wands of various woods -- Ogham runes were generally associated with certain trees, and carving or casting them with the relevant wood made them more efficient. All those supplies went into her satchel. She had no need to change her clothes, being already in plain clothes, so that was the end of the gearing up as far as she was concerned. I could use a cigar, though.

As distracted as she had been, Sophie hadn't quite been able to completely ignore her companions' debates. The moral issues of killing were of little interest to her, truth be told; metaphysics weren't her field, and in her mind, when there was a conflict between opposing interests, morality was little more than a framework fit to be kept in the background. There were lines that she wouldn't cross, and some that she would, and murder belonged to the latter. While she understood the rather ... well-endowed little witch's concerns, from an intellectual viewpoint at least, she couldn't fathom how the girl thought she would get by on the battlefield without killing people.

Still, she was apparently a healer, so there was a need for her to survive, independently from any personal feelings. Runes could heal to an extent, but it wouldn't make up for a specialist's skills. Sophie spoke up in a clear voice: "Listen ... Anna, I believe? Try looking at it this way: we need you to heal us. Ergo, you need to stay alive. But the enemy wants you dead, so you need to defend yourself, else we might die due to your absence. That's really all there is to it."

Reader of The P2TM Times, a biweekly P2TM newspaper on the RPs and happenings of P2TM. Check it out!

Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Agritum » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:48 pm

Latznavia wrote:(Giving up the intro until we get to the mission start.)

"Comrade, why do you use English? That's silly of you!" Anatoly's head rang with the almost musical voice of Polina. It sent him back to the battlefield station he had one year ago, a small farmhouse in a mass prarie or mass grave for Nazis called Shlotz. The family had abandoned all but their phonograph, some records, and some spring beds. He remembered every night of playing the Soviet records and listening to the classical voice of some heavenly maiden, questioning what she looked like and what she truly felt as her voice filled the house and voided the bombshells and artillery. He smiled as he handed her the clothes. "It is very kind of you to inform me of the presence of our new service uniforms, Comrade, but I believe this is a plainclothes mission. But thank you anyways: I'll take a note for when we'll embark in a more conventional operation" she spoke through her psychic means.

"I apologize, I had figured because of our Western allies, I must learn to speak English or become avoided by them. I learned quite fast judging by their expressions. It was amusing." He said aloud in perfect Russian, smiling, then he looked down. He would stuck out like a sore thumb in snow with this and decided to grab some clothes from the dressing room and do a new outfit. He waved goodbye to Polina and walked back into the room. Removing his uniform, he felt embarrassed, his general excitement had made him forget his true mission.

He slipped on a white dress shirt, taking some shoe polish and smearing it a bit and rubbing sleeves against the walls to show age. He then grabbed a flat cap and did the same rubbing procedure. The lead walls easily showed some discoloration. Then grabbed some leather trousers and created a slight hole in the knee and rubbed it, before smearing a little shoe polish on the sides by mistake, but it worked for the illusion. He put on the suspenders and then his old muddy Combat boots from Russia. He finished his onsomble with a thick trenchcoat which almost matched the pants color.

He looked in the mirror and smiled, he looked like a young Lenin, traveling man. Now if only he could grow a mustache in five seconds, but he kept his appearance and walked out, making sure to kick anything in his way to scuff the shoes to ensure their aging process. He placed his old uniform in the locker then waved to Polina as he reproached her.

"Look at me, Polina. I look like Lenin." He joked as he spoke Russian again. He then did the pose that Lenin was known for. Hand in the jacket, with the other outstretched, to impress her, smiling hoping she didn't think he was some dork.

When Anatoly came back, Polina had already changed her clothes. Gone was the olive outift of the Red Army, substituted by a soft dress shirt and a short khaki jacket, in conjunction with a cream coloured skirt, with a grey cap completing the whole ensemble. The only particular note of colour in Polina's rather plain outfit was the vividly red scarf tied to her neck, which she had been wearing for her whole stay in the armory.

She glanced over Anatoly, giving one of her other gentle smiles. "Who knows, maybe you'll be a vanguard man like Comrade Lenin, Anatoly?" she replied, with a mental laugh. "You'll blend well with these clothes. It almost looks as if you've already been in Warsaw for a week! It will go all over the fascists' heads." Polina added, shooting another smile.

Fortunately for Abe, who was already clad in a pretty mundane shirt, trousers and duster ensemble, the dressage session ended only with him swapping his polished shoes in exchange for some more sturdy boots, and putting a scarf around his neck after Elektra suggested that the weather in Warsaw would have been bad for his back. Weapons wise, other than the Bowie Knife, he had also selected a S&W 10 Model V revolver, a gun he had already been in contact with thanks to his father's travels, and a Lanchester submachine gun, after Elektra insisted again that he needed a general use 'sweeper' and that she didn't trust the 'pipe guns' handed out by the SoE.

Fleming looked at the assembled bunch of freaks, loners, lowlives, paranoids and obsessives in front of his eyes with a troubled look. He was worried enough of their dysfunctional behaviour back in the Briefing Room, but seeing them armed to the teeth sent a shiver down his spine. He constantly edged closer to Lee, who instead spent the time keeping his eye on Markus, the Russians and Harris, while occasionally nodding in approval at the weaponry choices of the other squad members.

"Ladies, Gentlemen, it's time to deploy. Finish quickly whatever task you are currently engaging in, and follow me." the Lieutenant Commander announced, motioning to the outside of the Armory. Lee continued acting as his bodyguard, with Abraham and Elektra following close. Turning back, Abraham noticed that, at times, Polikarpova's skirt made a little clattering sound, as if she had hidden rivets or objects of a similar size and composition in it. Abraham had nothing against Soviets, Espers even more so, but it was a detail that he found to be weird, if not a bit disturbing. Polina's apparent muteness and reliance on 'spooky' telepathic communication didn't help easing up the atmosphere.

Eventually, the group took another, spacious lift, which led them to what was seemingly the deepest level of the base. The door opened, revealing a cave-like interior, with various glowing red and golden runic patterns carved on its rocky walls. The cavern was circular, with geometrical forms decorating the floor in rich Greek meanders, Celtic designs and occasional Eyes of Horus. Most importantly, an elaborate five-pointed star or pentagram was carved in the center of the room, a Freemasonic Eye of the Providence in the dead center of it, with the signs of the Four Elements and of Aether carved in each point. Four cloaked figures clad in elaborate robes stood at each point, humming a low Latin tone.

"Don't worry about the pentagram. When it points north, it's a potent symbol of luck, and a perfect ritual circle. Same for the Latin chants: they're just stanzas which help in concentrating and aid the mage in accumulating ambient prana for a spell. Now, the trouble would be if the pentagram pointed south, and the Latin chants sounded reversed. Fortunately no one does that variant right now, except for some pointy hats, who're zany like that." Elektra explained, throwing in a thinly veiled jab at the witches in the room, for the hell of it.

"Miss Helsing? Could you please join your colleagues on the tip of the pentacle?" Fleming asked. "Yes, Sir." Elektra replied, casually strolling to said part of the star, and spreading her arms in a majestic-looking way, joining in the chant. "Feel free to open the portal any time from now, Miss Helsing."

Abraham looked as his 'little sister' worked her magic. On one side, he was glad that she had gotten that good. On the other hand, remembering that she was not really a mundane unlike Abe and her 'father' just made Abraham's mind wander back to the day she had arrived in the Netherlands, her biological parents locked in the frontiers of the regime, marked with the mortal badge of dissidents by both mundanes and magi alike. His father had taken in and loved that distressed young girl as the daughter he never had. Maybe he would've been proud to see how far she had come.

"CREO PORTAM!" Elektra commanded in Latin, drawing out her wand, making a complex motion, pointing it at the Eye of Providence and firing an ethereal blast of prana in the dead center of it. The center appeared to warp, as a floating open door-like portal materialized, offering a window to what looked to be a dusty, not-as-glamorous basement somewhere in the Continent. The other mages drew their own wands and supplied streams of pranatic energy to the gate.

Abraham apparently was the first in queue. Elektra looked over him. "....stay safe, alright?"

"Alright. I promise it, Elektra." The young man replied, with a faint but sincere smile. Elektra smiled in kind, fighting back anxiety.

"May God be with you, operatives, and remember: Who dares, wins. Now, before you follow Mister Hellsing in, take these simple pins." Fleming commanded, as Lee distributed some plain jacket pins with a B inscribed on it, apparently made out of rock. "I can't disclose much about them, but they were created with material found in Baghdad, Iraq."

Abe took a step forward in the gate. Elektra was about to warn him about not being too swift, but he was already on another part of the planet. Stepping through the gate for a first time was almost horrible: Abraham suddenly felt his body to be freefalling into a thunderous storm, as confused, blurry seas and landscapes passed before his eyes. This endured for a few seconds, before he softly landed on what appeared to be strategically placed hay.

He raised his eyes. There was no cavern anymore, just a dusty, old and poorly lit basement, with an DIY copy of the pentagram inscribed on the dirty floor, and most importantly, a crowd of onlookers surrounding it, headed by a portly man with a long, scruffy white beard and suffering from visible baldness. Abraham raised his eyes: they were armed, but they also looked scroungy and disheveled, wearing street clothes or patched uniforms that fortunately weren't of that sickly gray colour most of Europe was now overrun with.

The man started to speak and, much to Abraham's wonder, he spoke in perfectly intelligible, even London-accented English. "I see you're wearing Babylon pins. Perfect. Excuse me for the roughness of your landing, but this poor little circle is the most we can offer to the cause. Take your time to readjust yourself, and then we'll talk. Welcome to Poland." the man said.

"Aureliusz Groszek?" Abraham asked.

"Yes." he replied laconically.

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:56 pm

"Ladies, Gentlemen, it's time to deploy. Finish quickly whatever task you are currently engaging in, and follow me."

Jannie frowned slightly at the order. As if she needed this ‘Fleming’ character to decide when she had spent enough time at something. Still, she had agreed to assist the man’s country in the war. She was not about to express her sentiments concerning his dictation of her schedule. That was what barbarians like the greymuzzle did. She was above such things. I am capable of restraint, the vampire thought.

Jannie’s nostrils flared briefly in what passed for a wince with her subdued expressions. She added ‘oftentimes' to the end of the thought as she waited to exit the armory. She had learned how dangerous lying to oneself about their own qualities could prove almost a century earlier. It would do her no good to deny that with the proper stimulus, she was just as blatant and unrefined as the werewolf. Perhaps even more so, if such a thing was possible. At least the werewolf would feed out of its own desire rather than because that was what a man had told it to do.

As Fleming was telling her to follow him now.

Bah! Such a comparison was ridiculous on its face. She had joined of her own free will, not been dragged out of her castle in the dark of the night, drugged, and starved until she was compliant. She would not accept such hypocritical assertions, even, or perhaps especially, in her own mind. Such foolishness was only good to be discarded, before it could cause trouble.

Following the SOE officer even deeper into the facility, Jannie wasn’t sure whether to feel at-home or off-put by the cavern he lead them into. It was somewhat dark, much like the briefing room prior to Fleming’s clapping-on of the candelabras. There was also fact that the place had seemingly been carved or fit into a cavern of some kind. That was comforting. It gave it the familiar, dungeon-like qualities of her own sleeping chambers back in Bezdez castle. But what light there was seemed to be given off by runic patterns and symbols carved into the rock. Those symbols were ever-present in the small cavern, some of them styled differently, but always there, until they reached the center where they were replaced by a pentagram.

The only thing that stopped the shiver up her spine was the chanting. Jannie couldn’t make out the words, but could identify it as Latin. It reminded her of mass. It prevented her from growing any more uncomfortable at the runic symbols, though from the way her one open eye seemed to stare in turn at each one the discomfort she felt was plain to any observer. She couldn’t stop it and didn’t bother. Magic was scary, in so many ways. A human phenomenon like their rapid development of technology that was far too unstable for her to be comfortable with their manipulations of it. What irresponsible uses would they put it to, after all? There was no telling.

Jannie’s closed eye itched. With all the restraint she could muster, she didn’t scratch it.

Jannie did scratch it when the Helsing sister got involved in the magical incantation. There were possibilities for the future in that she hadn’t considered. A magic-imbued Helsing family. Vampire-hunter mages. Ensuring some kind of amicable settlement of the matter was even more important than it had been. For her potential children and herself, if nothing else.

Jannie numbly took the pin handed out by Lee as she stared at the portal in the center of the room. She had never seen anything like it. Of course, she would gain nothing but the bemusement of her associates if she did nothing but gawk at the creation. Stepping forward, though she truly didn’t wish to, Jannie deliberately dragged her eye off the portal and to Elektra.

“Miss Helsing, I presume you would not be at all amused with the irony if I promised to try and keep him safe?” Jannie said flatly, cocking her head and giving off the impression of having smiled even as her lips remained unmoved.

Even as she finished, Jannie turned towards Fleming and stood slightly straighter. “Lieutenant Commander.”

It was the kind of dismissal a superior would give a particularly well-liked subordinate. Before Fleming or Lee could raise objection, however, Jannie had stepped back through the portal.

It was like flying, except…not. It was much faster, much wilder, and much less pleasant. It was like being a mist, except she had even less control of her own corporeal body. Her arm seemed to wish to go one way while her elbow wished to go another. Or perhaps she just imagined it did. The sensations were gone almost as soon as they came. One unpleasantness exchanged for another. As with her exit from the bizarre mode of travel.

Jannie spat out her first breath of air as she discovered it tasted of hay. She spat out her second when she realized that wasn’t a trick of her mind from the teleportation—or whatever it had been—and was instead the result of real hay. Bolting upright at the waist, Jannie shakily struggled to her feet. They seemed to have momentarily forgotten which way was which, and she was forced to shoot one leg forward to catch herself to keep from falling face-first onto the floor again. With determined aplomb, she set to brushing the hay off of her clothing.

Whatever Polish building they were in, it was obviously not a very nice one. It was dirty, with the kind of masked odiousness that spoke of a lifetime being used for storage of things that sometimes went bad and left their stain on top of all the others. Worse than the building, though, was the people. A good-sized group of them stank up an entire circle around her. She doubted any of them had received a bath in weeks, and the clothes had definitely not been washed recently enough to hide the fouled stenches that had been sweated into them over time. The truly ancient uniforms themselves, looking more patching-material than original now, likely hadn’t been washed in even longer. Where they weren’t patched they were threadbare from too much scrubbing already.

The glorious Armia Krajowa. Defenders of Polish sovereignty. The Underground State waging a continuing war against the Nazi occupiers. The Allied propagandists who spoke of them had probably never seen them. Or smelled them. Still, she couldn’t fault them too greatly. It had been two-and-a-half years since their country had been occupied. Such a decline in hygiene and uniform standards was inevitable. Besides, more importantly than their appearances, their politics were much more palatable to Jannie than their communist…associates? Competitors? Enemies? That was a situation which could play out quite strangely in the future.

One of the Poles, either braver or less intelligent than the others, stepped forward and made to help her. It would have been a respectful or even friendly gesture, perhaps, had it not been for the grease and dirt clearly staining the man’s hands. Jannie was perfectly capable of dealing with dirt and grime, had been forced to on any number of previous excursions from the confines of her home. But it had been forced. She did not, and would not, invite the situation any sooner than necessary.

“Do not touch me.” Jannie said in an inoffensive but demanding tone. She held up the hand she had been brushing herself off with palm-out at the man for a brief instant. As if a switch had been thrown, he stopped. Jannie returned to meticulously removing the straw from her clothing by herself, giving the overcoat a rough shake to clear it of the smaller detritus as she got most of the larger pieces off. As if merely resting her hands, she placed one on her hip and curled the other around the hilt of the cavalry sabre at her side with the coat spread slightly open. It wasn’t quite a drawing stance as she’d been taught it, but it required little more than a shift in her shoulders to become one.

The Poles had weapons, after all. Some even looked slightly scared. No telling what a scared human could do. It made them unpredictable. Jannie swayed slightly with the last aftereffects of her more-than 1400 kilometer, two-or-three second journey conducted moments before. That was something she did not even want to get used to. She had a feeling she would.
Last edited by Occupied Deutschland on Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I'm General Patton.

Wolfenium
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby Wolfenium » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:51 pm

Dressed in a plain beige shirt, pants and a dull muffler, Ariel hardly looked the part of an underground resistance fighter. Even attempts to mark up her face with dirt did little to hide her pristine complexion, though she was at least conscious of her far-from-drab appearance. Milena, though, seemed to have done a better job, limping in in a slightly tattered blouse and long skirt. However, her reaction to her disguise was far less enthusiastic. Anna, strangely enough, need not change at all. She already looked very plain, despite wearing a rural dress that seemed considerably outdated in fashion.

"Who dares, wins," the Briton chimed in an almost diabetic tone, poking the Babylon pin on her shirt as she held on to her Thompson. She seemed almost oblivious to the grim atmosphere around her, and it was nauseating for any veteran to see this. But it did not take long to put on a serious look, as she braced herself for the portal. Hopping in in typical paratrooper form, it did not take long before the bail of hay greeted her on the other side.

"Well, that was a quick jump wasn't it-" she blurted, getting herself to her feet as she crawled out of the hay. But stepping into full view of the dank cellar, her usual chirpy tune rightly ran aground almost instantly. She knew fully well she was dealing with resistance fighters, and she was not stranger to combat. But hardly did she imagine being in the company of half-starved, disheveled militiamen, many of whom had either seen too few winters or too many. Pulling the usual grin off her face, she could not help but feel a bit of pity. With a more stern look on her face, she decided better to focus on her mission, and rightly so.

"Must have been hard for you," she spoke to the commander, "I can scarcely imagine being in your position. We've already went through the information you sent us so far. I don't suppose you have updates on the Beast?"

Batting her eyelid in disgust, Milena clearly felt a bit sick being here. The stench, the utter melancholy... It felt overpowering for her frail body, as well as her mind. She tried hard to hold in her vomit, not wanting to offend. Taking a seat on a dusty bench, she tried to internalize the situation more, lest she offend their hosts.

"[This is worse than Manchuria,]" she choked in Russian, trying not to breathe in the stench. The place just seemed unbearable, but Milena was going to see much more.

Biting her thumb at the sight of the decrepit makeshift base, Anna just seemed too lost for words. She was used to grime and squalor. That much was a part and parcel of farm life back in Eastern America, something she was very used to. But the air stank of something worse, even more than a lack of hygiene could ever do. It reeked of death, and a distinct lack of joy written on the partisans' faces. Hugging her Sten gun, she was not sure if she could take much more. This was something her magic cannot heal. This was despair.

Latznavia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Latznavia » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:57 am

"Who knows, maybe you'll be a vanguard man like Comrade Lenin, Anatoly?" His mind rang out with her voice yet again, he smiled as he heard her mental giggle, "You'll blend well with these clothes. It almost looks as if you've already been in Warsaw for a week! It will go all over the fascists' heads.". He looked down at his clothes, happy that his outfit made him fit in so well. His attention was then drawn to her outfit, looking at the lack of color and curious as to why she chose such a colorless outfit. He was about to open his mouth to speak when he heard Fleming speak.

"Ladies, Gentlemen, it's time to deploy. Finish quickly whatever task you are currently engaging in, and follow me." Anatoly sighed, for the first time in a very long time, he was having a fun time and feeling like a small child he never got to be. But he was here for the mission and grabbed his PPSh-41 and ensured his Tokarev and his knife was still at his side before walking over to Fleming. Soon they were back in the lift, it was so big, then again so was their team. He walked in, and soon the lift began it's descent. The descent, it went on forever. Anatoly felt his heart drop into his stomach, he was really starting his first mission and he had to prove himself not a completely useless soldier to his comrades. He took a deep breath, and the doors opened to a large cavern.

Inside, the walls were covered in runic patterns that glowed in red and yellow. Greek and Celtic designs and even some Egyptian every now and then, then in the middle of the floor was a pentagram and Eye of Providence. The figures humming in Latin didn't help Anatoly find this place creepy and even haunting. He felt like his life was about to become some sacrifice like a goat that Siberian witches used to kill, as he had been told.

"Don't worry about the pentagram. When it points north, it's a potent symbol of luck, and a perfect ritual circle. Same for the Latin chants: they're just stanzas which help in concentrating and aid the mage in accumulating ambient prana for a spell. Now, the trouble would be if the pentagram pointed south, and the Latin chants sounded reversed. Fortunately no one does that variant right now, except for some pointy hats, who're zany like that." Elektra explained, he blinked at her words. Amazed by her knowledge of the occult, he began to actually question Stalin's decision to kill off most magic races in Russia for a moment, only a moment though. He watched as Fleming and this 'Elektra' murmured for a moment before Elektra walked passed the star and towards a gateway, spreading her arms.

"CREO PORTAM!" The room boomed as the gateway appeared, Anatoly stumbled back in surprise. He hoped that Polina hadn't noticed, he sighed and manned up. Puffing out his chest and sighing, he looked at Abraham enter first followed by the Nazi Vampire Jannie, then Ariel finally Milena. Anatoly walked passed everyone and was about to jump in when Fleming handed him a pin, he looked at it confused before placing it on the inside lining of his jacket. He nodded at Fleming and walked into the portal, he walked out into a dark basement.

Anatoly's eyes suddenly went black, not used to the darkness. He rubbed his eyes as he began to make out what little light was there and immediately, his eyes saw the poorly drawn pentagram on the dirty floor followed by the onlookers that surrounded them. He could only assume this was the Polish resistance, a large portly man with a scruffy beard. He began to make out their weapons, they were armed but also very poorly dressed. Their clothes in tatters. The man spoke then in English, surprising Anatoly.

"I see you're wearing Babylon pins. Perfect. Excuse me for the roughness of your landing, but this poor little circle is the most we can offer to the cause. Take your time to readjust yourself, and then we'll talk. Welcome to Poland." He nodded to the man and looked around. He had already prepared himself at the armory, he didn't know what to do now.
Last edited by Latznavia on Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:18 am

Anna rubbed her hands together. Matt thought of Pilate and his hand-washing. Anna bit her lip. She made a tiny gesture at the Sten.

Matt gently handed her the gun. Anna took it from him gingerly. Her hands were half the size of Matt's. Anna hugged the weapon to her chest. Matt saw tears in her eyes.

"Sorry," she managed. "I'll hold on to this... I hope you're right... It's so heavy..."

Matt touched the girl's shoulder, very gently. "It's okay," he murmured. There was a note of awful, leaden certainty in the Minuteman's voice. "It gets lighter."

Sophie holstered a Beretta handgun; Matt could see runes engraved on its grip. Matt followed the maga's eyes. She was watching him, and Anna. Sophie called across the room. "Listen ... Anna, I believe? Try looking at it this way: we need you to heal us. Ergo, you need to stay alive. But the enemy wants you dead, so you need to defend yourself, else we might die due to your absence. That's really all there is to it."

Matt's lips pursed. He glanced at Anna, his gaze steady and reassuring. "Do what you feel to be right," he said simply. "The power to do that is the definition of liberty. It's why we're fighting this war."

Anatoly appeared to be striking up a friendship with Polikarpova. He emerged from the dressing room clad in a grimy trenchcoat and cap, and chattered in Russian to the other esper. Matt caught the word "Lenin." Polikarpova smiled beautifully, but she said nothing aloud in reply. Her skirt made a strange clattering sound when she walked. Anatoly smiled and nodded, and Matt knew that he was hearing Polikarpova's voice inside his head.

Polikarpova never spoke, Matt realized. Milena had asked her to do so, and Polikarpova had become upset. Polikarpova never laughed. She only smiled.

The girl is mute. Matt belatedly put the pieces together. He felt his heart clench in sudden sympathy. There was nothing to say in the face of such a recognition. Matt bit the inside of his cheek and turned away.

Fleming's voice cut through the racket of the armory. "Ladies, Gentlemen, it's time to deploy. Finish quickly whatever task you are currently engaging in, and follow me." Fleming turned toward the door; Lee and the van Helsings fell swiftly in behind him.

Matt made sure that his Persuader was safely hidden from view, hanging from its sling under his arm and beneath his overcoat. He gently tapped the crown of his hat, and gave Anna a crooked smile and a wink. "Stick with me," the Minuteman murmured.

Matt's heart pounded in his ears. Fear? Excitement. Was there a difference?

The team walked a while longer through the winding concrete tunnels of SHADOCOM's base, until they reached another elevator. It was large enough to accommodate the entire squad; Matt barely had to duck his head in order to step inside. The Minuteman wondered what it had originally been intended to move. Cars? Livestock?

The elevator moved down again. Matt felt depth. He wondered how many countless tons of rock were pressing in over his head.

No one spoke.

The elevator stopped moving. Its doors whispered open. Beyond was a circular cavern of rough-hewn rock. Runes were engraved upon its walls, glowing red and gold; geometric patterns danced over the floor, patterns that Matt remembered seeing in the illustrations of the tattered copy of Gibbon over which he had pored in the jungle.

Decline and Fall.

At the center of the cavern, there was a pentagram carved in the floor, with an eye of some kind at its center and strange symbols surrounding it. Men or women stood at each point of the star, elaborately robed. Matt could not see their faces. They were chanting in Latin. Matt felt the hair rise on the back of his neck.

Elektra van Helsing chattered. Matt caught some of it: the star was a symbol of luck, the Latin chant was a concentration aid, witches were strange. He was not reassured. The cavern spoke to him of things done secretly in the dark, acts hidden from the light of day for fear of discovery. Those sorts of acts were usually far from pure, far from righteous.

Shadow Command.

Matt shook his head and clenched his fists.

Elektra moved to stand over the top of the pentacle. She spread her arms and joined the chant. She drew her wand, waved it through the air, pointed it at the center of the star-design, and shouted: "CREO PORTAM!" A blast of something raced from her wand to the center of the pentacle: it looked like moonlight in mist. Matt flinched instinctively as the air above the pentacle's center shimmered like a desert mirage, and then retracted somehow, pulling back from itself to reveal what lay beyond.

What lay beyond, glimpsed through that surreal gap in the universe, was a dusty cellar. It looked like the basement of the Beecher house outside of Boston.

Fleming said: "May God be with you, operatives, and remember: Who dares, wins."

Matt was not reassured.

Lee distributed jacket pins shaped like the letter "B". He said that they came from Baghdad. Matt was distracted. He took his pin and, wordlessly, fastened it to his overcoat's lapel.

Abraham was first in line. Elektra told him to be safe. The lad promised that he would. Matt felt his heart clench. Abraham stepped through the portal. There was a sound like distant wind. He disappeared.

Matt's heart pounded in his ears. Excitement? Fear. There was a difference.

To Matt's perverse relief, Jannie seemed almost as perturbed as Matt, though she was doing a better job at hiding it. With brittle courtesy, she turned to Elektra. “Miss Helsing, I presume you would not be at all amused with the irony if I promised to try and keep him safe?”

Then the vampire nodded to Fleming, and stepped forward, and was gone. Matt nodded to Elektra. "Irony aside," the Minuteman said quietly, "I'll bring him home."

It was a promise Matt could not be sure of keeping. But he felt better for having made it, all the same.

Ariel was next to make the jump, and then Milena, and then Anna. Anatoly pushed past everyone else and went after Anna. Matt was behind the esper. His mind whirled. He wondered if there was anything on the other side of the portal. He wondered if this was his last moment alive, if he would step forward and cease to be, if his next sight would be the dawning of eternal day.

I am grateful, Matt thought. For everything.

He crossed his arms over his chest, each hand grabbing the opposite shoulder, like a paratrooper about to jump. He ducked his head, took two steps forward, and went through the gate.

Matt saw ocean. He saw mountains. He fell, twisting, trying to keep his jump posture even as some force wrenched at his body, tearing at him like a great wind buffeting him to and fro. He tasted the salt sea on his tongue. He smelled the smoke of burning cities. He was a meteor, flaming, plummeting toward the unforgiving earth. He wanted to scream. He forced his mouth closed. He would meet death with courage.

He landed. Instinct took over, training: land feet first, knees bent, push off from the ground, roll forward shoulder-to-hip, come back to feet. Matt's hat fell off. He felt hay prickle his face. Vertigo swept him. His legs trembled, and he reached up a hand. It touched a stone ceiling, scant inches above his head. Matt braced himself against that roof. His breath came in ragged gasps. He forced it to even out, and looked around.

It was a basement, all right. Dusty. Dimly lit, with a chalk pentagram scratched on the floor. Perhaps a dozen men surrounded the symbol: they were lean, hollow-cheeked, filthy, wearing tattered street clothes and ancient uniforms. Armed: mostly old bolt-action rifles and various kinds of handguns. Abraham was there, looking blankly astonished. Jannie stood to one side, her coat drawn back to reveal the hilt of her saber. Milena sat on a bench, looking physically ill. Anna cradled her Sten gun and seemed, yet again, on the brink of tears.

Matt took a deep breath, and let it out. He took his hand off the roof. I never want to do that again. There was little chance, Matt knew, of that wish coming true.

Ariel was staring purposefully at a slightly pudgy, bald man with a white beard. He had alert, intelligent eyes. The other men left a little space around him. Aureliusz Groszek, Matt guessed.

Matt cast a long, slow glance around the room. The men were filthy and haggard; their rifles were well-maintained. They looked exhausted; a fire burned deep in their eyes. They squatted close to each other, shoulders almost touching, with the intimacy of brothers.

They had nothing. They were together. They were still fighting.

Matt felt his heart swell.

Matt turned to Groszek. "I am Captain Matthew Beecher," he said. "United States Army. Thank you for bringing us to your country, sir. We're grateful, and we're glad to be here."

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Lunas Legion
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Lunas Legion » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:52 am

Robert blinked in nervousness as Fleming announced that they were deploying. Uneasy, he shifted his shotgun so that it was hung over his back rather than resting at his him as he followed Fleming and the others out, trailing near the back due to the large alchemy-filled rucksack that slowed him.

For the first time, and most certianly not the last, he was now seriously regretting this. He was an alchemist for Christ's sake. He wasn't meant to be on the front lines of a war! He was supposed to find the Philosopher's Stone and then try to figure out how to use it without risking the world's economy drowning under a surplus of gold! People died in wars.

And Robert was far from ready to die.

A elevator ride or two later and their little dysfunctional pile of supernatural firepower (a proper alchemical name for this arrangement of persons) and they stood at a ritual chamber. He knew of rituals; he'd staged a few while trying to create the Stone, and even managed to recreate one from cross-referencing many of Lovecraft's works. He'd done that just before he'd enlisted. Had that clouded his judgement? It appeared to have no effect, but did it and he hadn't documented it as it affected the fundamentals of his psyche? Did it matter if it had? Was he just distracting himself from that the chamber smelt of alchemical wrongness?

He couldn't entirely place why it was wrong. It just was. Maybe he was just nervous.

Probably.

His internal mutterings made him ignore the gate mage's little speech on gate mechanics (full-on sorcery with no science behind it; that was no way to do things) or Fleming's final words. He took the pin, running through the little he knew about Arabian magecraft. The Arabs had done a damn good job exterminating most of it in their conquests and there was little concrete info, as any Arabian shamans kept to themselves lest they be killed for their sorcery. Maybe some form of locator? He really had no idea. He pinned it to his jacket pocket as he watched various members go through.

The gate mage's brother went first, followed by others. The biological weapon. The Soviet. A few he had no idea about.

Then it was his turn. He swallowed nervously. "Batter up, I guess." He muttered uneasily as he stepped into the gate.

He hadn't known what to expect. It certianly wasn't this. He saw landscapes, deserts, a lone mountain on the horizon. Gravity reversed and went sideways. His eyes closed to shut out the images. He kept falling.

The falling stopped as he crashed into... Hay? He groaned as he sat up, glancing over the hazy array of figures in front of them. Polish resistance, he presumed. He heard the bioweapon say something about 'being glad to be there'.

"Glad one of us is." Robert groaned. "I'm regretting ever signing up for this after... Whatever that was, and there's only gonna be worse to come."
Last edited by William Slim Wed Dec 14 1970 10:35 pm, edited 35 times in total.

Confirmed member of Kyloominati, Destroyers of Worlds Membership can be applied for here

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse