NATION

PASSWORD

Postapocalyptia | OOC [Apps Closed]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Vancon
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:14 pm

This planet, does it have different environments, or is it pure desert?

I have this idea for a snow covered area somewhere in the heart of the desert caused by magical phenomena, almost like a frozen oasis.

Also, I want to know what kind of tech/lore are we going for here. I'm getting some hard sci-fi vibes, mixed with a little bit of ridiculousness. Am I wrong? I'd like to include odd weather phenonema, such as flash storms and vital roadways that occasionally get flooded out. Maybe some really cool yet broken down superhighways that are higher then the rest of the ground too, like this.

I have some ideas, I just need to know my boundaries.
Mike the Progressive wrote:You know I don't say this often, but this guy... he gets it. Like everything. As in he gets life.

Imperializt Russia wrote:
The balkens wrote:Please tell me that condoms and Hazelnut spread are NOT on the same table.

Well what the fuck do you use for lube?

Krazakistan wrote:How have you not died after being exposed to that much shit on a monthly basis?
Rupudska wrote:I avoid NSG like one would avoid ISIS-occupied Syria.
Alimeria- wrote:I'll go to sleep when I want to, not when some cheese-eating surrender monkey tells me to.

Which just so happens to be within the next half-hour

Shyluz wrote:Van, Sci-fi Generallisimo

U18 2nd Cutest NS'er 2015
Best Role Play - Science Fiction 2015: Athena Program

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:19 pm

Vancon wrote:This planet, does it have different environments, or is it pure desert?

I have this idea for a snow covered area somewhere in the heart of the desert caused by magical phenomena, almost like a frozen oasis.

Also, I want to know what kind of tech/lore are we going for here. I'm getting some hard sci-fi vibes, mixed with a little bit of ridiculousness. Am I wrong? I'd like to include odd weather phenonema, such as flash storms and vital roadways that occasionally get flooded out. Maybe some really cool yet broken down superhighways that are higher then the rest of the ground too, like this.

Indiana Jones meets Borderlands meets spaghetti Westerns.

Tech and setting would be...Borderlands, really. Perhaps even less advanced. I don't think there are a lot of pew pew laser weapons about.

The image that always comes to me is the bar in Starcraft II
Last edited by Esternial on Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vancon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:22 pm

Would there be any really built up locations or cities, or is it naught but small villages made of huts?

Also, any complaints about my ideas above?
Mike the Progressive wrote:You know I don't say this often, but this guy... he gets it. Like everything. As in he gets life.

The balkens wrote:Please tell me that condoms and Hazelnut spread are NOT on the same table.

Krazakistan wrote:How have you not died after being exposed to that much shit on a monthly basis?
Alimeria- wrote:I'll go to sleep when I want to, not when some cheese-eating surrender monkey tells me to.

Mincaldenteans
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Mincaldenteans » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:24 pm

Vancon wrote:This planet, does it have different environments, or is it pure desert?

Different environments. No magic. Sci-fi/Modern-PostModern tech and satirical. Think Borderlands, Western, Punk, and Modern tech rolled in one.

See the OP post on previous contributions. The whole planet is not one big desert, Great Khan is just one region.

Vancon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:26 pm

Mincaldenteans wrote:

Different environments. No magic. Sci-fi/Modern-PostModern tech and satirical. Think Borderlands, Western, Punk, and Modern tech rolled in one.

See the OP post on previous contributions. The whole planet is not one big desert, Great Khan is just one region.

What about extraordinary geological events?

I keep imagining this one anime called Desert Punk that I watched, so I'm hyped. I also made my own RP in this kind of setting but to no real avail.

Is there a map in place yet, and are we just setting up a world or a part of the world to 'play' in?

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Postby Esternial » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:27 pm

Vancon wrote:Would there be any really built up locations or cities, or is it naught but small villages made of huts?

There's the same kind of highways in Borderlands, and this RP's bare setting borrows some bits from it.

Doesn't seem like a big issue. I do think there wouldn't be lot, considering the weather and lack of maintenance.

There are indeed cities. Khan City is a city. In the prequel, Montecristo is known as the largest city on Rigel-3. If my suggestion receives no opposition, Megalith can also be considered a city.

They're not plentiful, though. You'll find a lot more sci-fi/wild-west-esque towns than big cities.
Last edited by Esternial on Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vancon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:31 pm

Esternial wrote:
Vancon wrote:Would there be any really built up locations or cities, or is it naught but small villages made of huts?

There's the same kind of highways in Borderlands, and this RP's bare setting borrows some bits from it.

Doesn't seem like a big issue. I do think there wouldn't be lot, considering the weather and lack of maintenance.

There are indeed cities. Khan City is a city. In the prequel, Montecristo is known as the largest city on Rigel-3. If my suggestion receives no opposition, Megalith can also be considered a city.

They're not plentiful, though. You'll find a lot more sci-fi/wild-west-esque towns than big cities.

I'm also imagining that there's some kind of corporation/PMC creating a police state somewhere. I feel like that'd be nifty.

If I can lend my two cents, I think we should make the planet mostly desert, be them frozen or hot ones, and have some areas here and there with vegetation and whatnot. Maybe even mountains, or oceans. This way, people have to always cross a desert to get to the next place, which could spawn some awesome fight scenes along trains, cars and The Megalith. Speaking of which, are there other 'machines' like the Megalith going around? Maybe one that runs on nuclear power that is autonomous and has gone 'berserk' for lack of a better term, and the players need to hunt it down?

Mincaldenteans
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Mincaldenteans » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:37 pm

I give Este the decision on more than one Megalith. Its his creation and I already see at least one plot locale in IC for it.

Concerning the planet, focus on the other side (which all chars will be in this), so far we gave desert. Im not opposed to pockets of other tame or extreme environments.

Illan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Illan » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:38 pm

Will elaborate on spiritual masked nomads soon, at the beach, sorry for me taking so long.
Above even The Boss
Feel free to contact me about any fantasy, sci-fi, or otherwise futuristic RPs, especially those involving aliens or other non-humans, especially if it is an original universe/idea. I also enjoy Mass Effect, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, and many other things that transit to roleplays.

Mincaldenteans
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Mincaldenteans » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:43 pm

Illan wrote:Will elaborate on spiritual masked nomads soon, at the beach, sorry for me taking so long.

No rush -nodnod-

Highfort
Minister

Founded: May 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Highfort » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:48 pm

Megalith sounds like an awesome mobile city. What sort of stuff does it produce - does it mine for timonium or is it it's own self-contained little town?

Also, will elaborate on the Guardians of the Grovebacks tonight or tomorrow, depending on how cramming goes.
First as tragedy, then as farce

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Postby Esternial » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:57 pm

Mincaldenteans wrote:I give Este the decision on more than one Megalith. Its his creation and I already see at least one plot locale in IC for it.

Concerning the planet, focus on the other side (which all chars will be in this), so far we gave desert. Im not opposed to pockets of other tame or extreme environments.

I'd stick with one Megalith/Mobile Fortress. No point in working out too many possible plotlines, but if people really want one it can be added later.

Can always fight a lovely piece of fauna.
Last edited by Esternial on Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Imperial--japan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial--japan » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:00 pm

I was thinking about the establishment of a planetary cult of archaeologists that have taken to hoarding alien artifacts, and any source of knowledge/technology that they can get their hands on. They'd have enclaves scattered across the planet, and wouldn't be particularly nomadic (with the exception of trading with caravans. Alien tech is seized of course). Enclaves they establish are akin to small towns, and are there to stay unless disturbed. Obviously, they'd be one of the many enemies of the archaeologists association, and numerous others, but instead of gathering artifacts for further study, they place the knowledge & technology on a pedestal of worship. Books, advanced weapons, and other forms of tech/knowledge are placed into the houses of worship, and are only accessible to members of the 'priesthood'.

They have their own religious head, commonly referred to as the 'Archimandrite', though I'm trying to justify this organization as more of teaching their followers 'a more proper way of life' than about the existence of a deity. I can really flesh this out more if this seems interesting enough.
Grand Britannia wrote:
Fenexia and holochrome wrote:I want /pol/ to stay in /pol/.

/pol/ shitposted someone into the presidency, it's too late for you.

Highfort
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Highfort » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:04 pm

Imperial--japan wrote:I was thinking about the establishment of a planetary cult of archaeologists that have taken to hoarding alien artifacts, and any source of knowledge/technology that they can get their hands on. They'd have enclaves scattered across the planet, and wouldn't be particularly nomadic (with the exception of trading with caravans. Alien tech is seized of course). Enclaves they establish are akin to small towns, and are there to stay unless disturbed. Obviously, they'd be one of the many enemies of the archaeologists association, and numerous others, but instead of gathering artifacts for further study, they place the knowledge & technology on a pedestal of worship. Books, advanced weapons, and other forms of tech/knowledge are placed into the houses of worship, and are only accessible to members of the 'priesthood'.

They have their own religious head, commonly referred to as the 'Archimandrite', though I'm trying to justify this organization as more of teaching their followers 'a more proper way of life' than about the existence of a deity. I can really flesh this out more if this seems interesting enough.

You might be able to fuse both - the Archimandrite and his immediate clerics and officers would be using the technology and knowledge to advance a better way of life, while they'd be preaching to their followers the existence of a divinity or mandate for them to collect these artifacts. This way the followers are willing to obey without question and there's no pressure on the organization to actually achieve their aims (if they fail, it's not like the followers knew that they were trying to advance civilization).

Mincaldenteans
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Mincaldenteans » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:06 pm

AA wasn't (if I recall correctly) wasn't planetary as much as they were just prolific in their goals. If you want to create a rival to AA, by all means, as long as they are prolific, not planetary.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Postby Esternial » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:07 pm

Highfort wrote:Megalith sounds like an awesome mobile city. What sort of stuff does it produce - does it mine for timonium or is it it's own self-contained little town?

Also, will elaborate on the Guardians of the Grovebacks tonight or tomorrow, depending on how cramming goes.

Megalith was originally constructed as a massive mining facility.

"Moving mountains" is not a figure of speech when it comes to Megalith. The front unit, which has been detached before it was found by the current occupants, contains a massive drill fabricated from a self-healing metal alloy that grinds away rocks/ore/etc. and funnels them further down the line into other modules for processing. Of course, the production line inside Megalith is currently offline and populated by makeshift housing.

With the drill, it's capable of bringing down mountains or dig trenches as deep as the grand canyon. Operating it takes a lot of power, so at least without that front module the entire settlement runs a bit more economically, but lacks the ability to pave its way through mountains or very rugged terrain.

Right now it produces nothing, considering it lacks the drill, and probably never will run completely, but the timonium refineries could be made operational.
Last edited by Esternial on Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Highfort
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Highfort » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:12 pm

Esternial wrote:Megalith was originally constructed as a massive mining facility.

"Moving mountains" is not a figure of speech when it comes to Megalith. The front unit, which has been detached before it was found by the current occupants, contains a massive drill fabricated from a self-healing metal alloy that grinds away rocks/ore/etc. and funnels them further down the line into other modules for processing. Of course, the production line inside Megalith is currently offline and populated by makeshift housing.

With the drill, it's capable of bringing down mountains or dig trenches as deep as the grand canyon. Operating it takes a lot of power, so at least without that front module the entire settlement runs a bit more economically, but lacks the ability to pave its way through mountains or very rugged terrain.

Right now it produces nothing, considering it lacks the drill, and probably never will run completely, but the timonium refineries could be made operational.

Interesting. Could make it a plot point to make the refineries operational as a means of funding the Vagabonds, since we are technically neutral and have no official political affiliation.
Last edited by Highfort on Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mincaldenteans
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Mincaldenteans » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:15 pm

Temir is approved btw -nodnod-

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Postby Esternial » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:21 pm

Highfort wrote:
Esternial wrote:Megalith was originally constructed as a massive mining facility.

Interesting. Could make it a plot point to make the refineries operational as a means of funding the Vagabonds, since we are technically neutral and have no official political affiliation.

If Megalith could make them operational, they would, but probably not to fund a group of random people.

Like most of Megalith, the refineries are in disrepair and, because they can't fix it, the inhabitants have converted them to something else, in this case a storage area. Megalith does contain considerable timonium reserves from back when it was still manned, which is one of the reasons it remains mobile and armed. It's a Fort Knox on tracks.

Imperial--japan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial--japan » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:22 pm

Highfort wrote:
Imperial--japan wrote:I was thinking about the establishment of a planetary cult of archaeologists that have taken to hoarding alien artifacts, and any source of knowledge/technology that they can get their hands on. They'd have enclaves scattered across the planet, and wouldn't be particularly nomadic (with the exception of trading with caravans. Alien tech is seized of course). Enclaves they establish are akin to small towns, and are there to stay unless disturbed. Obviously, they'd be one of the many enemies of the archaeologists association, and numerous others, but instead of gathering artifacts for further study, they place the knowledge & technology on a pedestal of worship. Books, advanced weapons, and other forms of tech/knowledge are placed into the houses of worship, and are only accessible to members of the 'priesthood'.

You might be able to fuse both - the Archimandrite and his immediate clerics and officers would be using the technology and knowledge to advance a better way of life, while they'd be preaching to their followers the existence of a divinity or mandate for them to collect these artifacts. This way the followers are willing to obey without question and there's no pressure on the organization to actually achieve their aims (if they fail, it's not like the followers knew that they were trying to advance civilization).

I like this actually. I just need to think of a way that people would be willing to follow a mandate that blindly commands them to collect the artifacts. I was thinking along the lines of "Technology in the wrong hands is a danger to all". Very basic, but 'wrong hands' could be interpreted as anyone except them. There are always those who grew up in the 'enclaves' (or were taken in, since I believe this is post-20 years from the last RP), and have known nothing, but the mandate for quite some time. Some might not even be followers of the mandate, but what's the price of safety and comaradarie on this planet anyways?

Mincaldenteans wrote:AA wasn't (if I recall correctly) wasn't planetary as much as they were just prolific in their goals. If you want to create a rival to AA, by all means, as long as they are prolific, not planetary.

Ah alright. Prolific it is.
Grand Britannia wrote:
Fenexia and holochrome wrote:I want /pol/ to stay in /pol/.

/pol/ shitposted someone into the presidency, it's too late for you.

Highfort
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Highfort » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:27 pm

Esternial wrote:If Megalith could make them operational, they would, but probably not to fund a group of random people.

I figure it could be a plot point that the Vagabonds help restore the timonium refineries - hence, Megalith would have a reason to kick back a little profit every once in a while. Not excessive of course but enough to keep us reasonably supplied in case we come across any... giant drill bits they could use.

Imperial--japan wrote:I like this actually. I just need to think of a way that people would be willing to follow a mandate that blindly commands them to collect the artifacts. I was thinking along the lines of "Technology in the wrong hands is a danger to all". Very basic, but 'wrong hands' could be interpreted as anyone except them. There are always those who grew up in the 'enclaves' (or were taken in, since I believe this is post-20 years from the last RP), and have known nothing, but the mandate for quite some time. Some might not even be followers of the mandate, but what's the price of safety and comaradarie on this planet anyways?

The mandate could be something along the lines of "For a better tomorrow", with the implication that technology is squandered by the rest of the inhabitants and it's only these collectors who are capable of propelling it forward technologically and socially.

Mincaldenteans wrote:Temir is approved btw -nodnod-

Awesome!

The Carlisle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Carlisle » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:30 pm

I believe its five years since the last RP.
Call me Carly
Gayism enabler
Trans Girl
Radical Anti-Radical Feminist Feminist
S.W.I.F: Sex Worker Inclusionary Feminist.

Jessjohnesik
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Jessjohnesik » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:34 pm

I suppose I should update the flora/fauna listing and add more to it. Also should I add descriptions of whole ecosystems?

Also, since we never really utilised it in the previous RP, should we 'respawn' Náttúrbærinn and the lake it is based near?
ಠ_ಠ Proud owner of the Mystery Genre RPer award 2014!!
Pro: Science, environmentalism, equal rights, const. monarchy, mixed economy, Scientocracy, abortion, Western Europe, NZ, Japan, Australia, Nordic countries, SKorea, EU, immigration control, Merkel, Buddhism, Israel, centrism, eurofederalism, GMOs, soft euroscepticism
Against: Biophobia, social Conservatism, excessive militarism/pacifism, hedonism, totalitarianism, anarchism, fascism, communism, feminism SJWs/BLM, corruption, Islam, Christianity, Palestine, nazism, Russia, Arab League, Saudi Arabia, Greece, traditionalism, moralism, UKIP, uncontrolled immigration
Political Graph

I wonder if you're the worst person I've ever met; at a certain age it's hard to recall... ~ Olenna to Cersei,Game of Thrones

Illan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Illan » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:47 pm

Hey, could I add to the wildlife/fauna/flora of Rigel?
Above even The Boss
Feel free to contact me about any fantasy, sci-fi, or otherwise futuristic RPs, especially those involving aliens or other non-humans, especially if it is an original universe/idea. I also enjoy Mass Effect, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, and many other things that transit to roleplays.

Mincaldenteans
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Mincaldenteans » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:51 pm

Illan wrote:Hey, could I add to the wildlife/fauna/flora of Rigel?

Yes, anyone can contribute.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse