NATION

PASSWORD

The Mechanics' Guild: An RP(G) Community

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:47 am

Plzen wrote:I think my nuclear war mechanics are good as they currently stand. If there is anything that seems ambiguous or contradictory, let me know. Otherwise I'll shelve it as it currently stands and launch it whenever I have time (NS summer, probably).

I look forward too it!

Harkback Union
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Harkback Union » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:35 pm

Plzen wrote:I think my nuclear war mechanics are good as they currently stand. If there is anything that seems ambiguous or contradictory, let me know. Otherwise I'll shelve it as it currently stands and launch it whenever I have time (NS summer, probably).

Erm...

Economy and Production

Civilian Infrastructure

Mines, a type of infrastructure, is used to collect natural resources. Natural resources can be used in power plants, to satisfy cities' energy demand and power air defences, or used in the construction of additional infrastructure, nuclear weapons, and military units. Natural resources can be stored from turn to turn, but energy cannot. The total number of natural resources collected by every block from the first turn contributes to exhaustion.

Mines and power plants in the mechanics do not merely represent mines and power plants, but also imply an entire heavy industry or consumer goods industry behind it.

Shaft mines cost a base of 2 natural resources, plus one more natural resource per each mine already present on the bloc. Each turn, they produce two natural resources, modified by exhaustion and technology to a maximum of three.

Pit mines cost a base of 3 natural resources, plus one more natural resource per each mine already present on the bloc. Each turn, they produce three natural resources, modified by exhaustion and technology to a maximum of five. Each pit mine contributes 1 exhaustion per turn in addition to production.

Coal power plants cost a base of 1 natural resources. They generate 3 energy, modified by exhaustion. Each coal power plant contributes 1 exhaustion per turn.

Solar power plants cost a base of 6 natural resources, plus one per each solar power plant already built in that bloc. They generate 6 energy, modified by technology.

Nuclear power plants cost a base of 4 natural resources. They consume one natural resource per turn, and generate 6 energy, modified by technology.

Military Infrastructure

Centrifuge cost 4 natural resources plus 1 for each centrifuge already present in the bloc, and allows the processing of natural resources to nuclear warheads at a rate of 2 natural resources to 3 nuclear warheads. Nuclear warheads have a finite storage capacity. If more than one centrifuge has been constructed, each additional centrifuge present improves the conversion rate by 1 additional nuclear warhead per 2 natural resources. This conversion costs 0.5 energy per 2 natural resources converted.

Missile Silos cost 3 natural resources, and allows 3 MRBMs or 2 ICBMs (if possessing the appropriate technology) to be used per turn. A missile silo increases storage capacity for nuclear warheads by 12.

Airbases cost 3 natural resources, and allows the deployment of 4 Strategic Bombers per turn. Airbases may also defend against Strategic Bombers in the bloc it is built in and adjacent blocs. An airbase also increases storage capacity for nuclear warheads by 6. Note that an airbase cannot attack and defend in the same turn.

Radar cost 1 natural resource, and allows nuclear attacks against one city or infrastructure and itself to be defended against.

SAM Batteries cost 3 natural resources, and allows defence against ICBMs, MRBMs, and Strategic Bombers in the bloc it is built in.

Satellite Centre cost 3 natural resources, and allows defence against ICBMs, MRBMs, and SSBNs in any bloc. It requires "Military Satellites" technology to be built.

Exhaustion

Exhaustion is collected by natural resource extraction, modified by technology, pit mines, coal power plants, and various technologies.

Every 300 exhaustion adds one to the exhaustion of the planet. Each exhaustion of the planet decreases the production of relevant infrastructure by one. High exhaustion may also trigger devastating climate disasters.

Cities

Cities have a population. Each turn, the population of every city with a nonzero population gains an additional 0.2 million population, modified by technology. Every 1 million population consumes 0.2 energy. If there is insufficient energy to meet the demand, there is no population growth.

The sum of the population of every city in a bloc is also referred to as the population of the bloc. The population of the bloc is allocated between research, defence, politics, and espionage. Each 1 million population dedicated to research produces a research point each turn which is applied to the currently chosen project. Defence is used to meet the population demand of various defensive structures. Each 1 million population dedicated to politics and espionage generates 1 political and espionage points per turn respectively, which can be used to take various actions. Political and espionage points may not be saved.

I'd strongly recommend the following:
- Get rid of either pit mines or shaft mines (or introduce different mechanics for the 2)
- Halve power output from power plants
- Halve energy needs for population, so that a million needs 0.1 E and 10 million needs 1 E.

I'd also probably introduce some more mechanics, If I was in charge:
- Introduce Oil and uranium "strategic" resources and Oil rigs / Uranium mines. Strategic resources do not accumulate over turns, but instead uranium limits the number of centrifuges you can run and oil limits the size of your armies/navies. Excess oil can be converted to energy.
- Centrifuges need no "natural resources" to operate, but instead access 1 uranium each and a lot of energy (say, 1). A centrifuge can either produce warheads, or supply nuclear plants with fuel. With advanced technology, they can do both.
- Mines come in levels. At the start, Add resource depletion dates for each block, say, you have resources remaining till 2250. Each time mines are upgraded, the cost doubles, but so does the output, and the remaining years are halved (rounded down). If you are in 2017 and you upgrade your lvl 1 mine which produced 2 NR per turn for say the price of 8 NR, You now have a lvl 2 mine which produces 4 NR per turn, but you'll only have resources left until 2133 (you take the average of the 2 dates!). If technologies add to mining efficiency, you don't mess with the date, just simply increase income.
- Coal plants eat Natural resources, but produce way more power then solar. Nuclear be more expensive/need uranium. Exhaustion replaced with Pollution (since resource depletion is already accounted for). Each time new industry is built (mines/coal plants) Players increase their own block's pollution (emission) level/rating by one. Every 5-10 turns, somebody counts the current emission rating from all blocks, multiply it by 5-10 and add it to a global emission scale.
- As we cross certain pre-determined (but perhaps hidden) lines on the emission scale, bad stuff happens on a globally.
- Add forests and natural wonders. Blocks that start off poorer (provided there is asimmetric start) should have more of these. Forests count as negative pollution for your rating and absorb emissions. You can chop down your forests, 1 each turn to earn extra natural resources, however, they are very expensive to replant. Natural wonders could provide minor long term benefits, which, like forests, could be squandered for a quick buck or used for target practice with nuclear weapons. Perhaps global warming could ruin them as well.
- Add expensive and energy-eating recycling plants, biofuel refineries or some other fancy technology (which you might have already done) that lets you produce synthetic oil and get some of the NR from non-mining sources.

I should really stop there... right there... no more rulebooks Harkback, no more!

Plzen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:31 pm

Harkback Union wrote:- Halve power output from power plants
- Halve energy needs for population, so that a million needs 0.1 E and 10 million needs 1 E.

Seems easier to just double energy use elsewhere. Accomplishes the same effect. I'll get around to it when I have time.

Harkback Union wrote:- Introduce Oil and uranium "strategic" resources and Oil rigs / Uranium mines. Strategic resources do not accumulate over turns, but instead uranium limits the number of centrifuges you can run and oil limits the size of your armies/navies. Excess oil can be converted to energy.
- Centrifuges need no "natural resources" to operate, but instead access 1 uranium each and a lot of energy (say, 1). A centrifuge can either produce warheads, or supply nuclear plants with fuel. With advanced technology, they can do both.
- Mines come in levels. At the start, Add resource depletion dates for each block, say, you have resources remaining till 2250. Each time mines are upgraded, the cost doubles, but so does the output, and the remaining years are halved (rounded down). If you are in 2017 and you upgrade your lvl 1 mine which produced 2 NR per turn for say the price of 8 NR, You now have a lvl 2 mine which produces 4 NR per turn, but you'll only have resources left until 2133 (you take the average of the 2 dates!). If technologies add to mining efficiency, you don't mess with the date, just simply increase income.
- Coal plants eat Natural resources, but produce way more power then solar. Nuclear be more expensive/need uranium. Exhaustion replaced with Pollution (since resource depletion is already accounted for). Each time new industry is built (mines/coal plants) Players increase their own block's pollution (emission) level/rating by one. Every 5-10 turns, somebody counts the current emission rating from all blocks, multiply it by 5-10 and add it to a global emission scale.

There's only so much I can keep track of in a mechanics-based RP without going stir-crazy. :p This won't be happening.

Harkback Union wrote:- Add forests and natural wonders. Blocks that start off poorer (provided there is asimmetric start) should have more of these. Forests count as negative pollution for your rating and absorb emissions. You can chop down your forests, 1 each turn to earn extra natural resources, however, they are very expensive to replant. Natural wonders could provide minor long term benefits, which, like forests, could be squandered for a quick buck or used for target practice with nuclear weapons. Perhaps global warming could ruin them as well.

Asymmetric starts are a very interesting idea. I'll definitely be willing to go with this, but only if people are fine with having considerably unfair starting positions.
Last edited by Plzen on Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harkback Union
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Harkback Union » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:27 am

Plzen wrote:
Harkback Union wrote:- Halve power output from power plants

Seems easier to just double energy use elsewhere. Accomplishes the same effect. I'll get around to it when I have time.

The reason I recommended halving energy production and the population's usage is so that its easier to remember how much energy you need per capita and there is less computation overall.

Plzen wrote:There's only so much I can keep track of in a mechanics-based RP without going stir-crazy. :p This won't be happening.

I see...

But about those mines, I don't think they make too much sense. Other block's mines deplete your resources? I mean, if exhaustion is applied on a global level, your mines will lose income even if you barely had any mines of your own.
So, I don't see why anyone would want to build shaft mines. Sure, it delays the death of the mother earth, but if your opponents are using pit mines, they'll have a massive advantage on you, both short and long term. If the planet's resources are gonna get exploited anyway, its better be you who's doing the exploiting!
Last edited by Harkback Union on Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Plzen
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:15 am

Harkback Union wrote:So, I don't see why anyone would want to build shaft mines. Sure, it delays the death of the mother earth, but if your opponents are using pit mines, they'll have a massive advantage on you, both short and long term. If the planet's resources are gonna get exploited anyway, its better be you who's doing the exploiting!

Dispersed industry is harder to nuke. Having 3 shaft mines is less efficient than having 2 pit mines, but it's harder to destroy.

Such was my reasoning, anyways. Perhaps I should just call it "dispersed industry" and "concentrated industry" instead of calling them mines? More abstraction is almost always better in RP mechanics.

EDIT: Actually, I like that idea. I'll put renaming mines on my to-do list.
Last edited by Plzen on Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Harkback Union
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Harkback Union » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:28 pm

That reminds me, I also have a global geopolitik simulator in the freezer.

Reading through your rules got me in the mood, would you mind me maybe launching a very similar RP to your own?

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:50 pm

Though this osnt a mechanic related question, many of you have been here a while, so here goes.

Is it allowed to create a temp Ic for an rp?
✒ I'm a Proud Member of VARSITY ROW! Come check us out! ✒

I'M A MEMBER OF THOUGHT CAFE
WE'RE THE AWESOMEST, COME CHECK US OUT

When i am not being your average Drunk at the Pub, i am the Founder and Headmaster of The Academy. On my off time i am also a Member of the Mechanics Guild. Member of The Council of the Multiverse community. Click me to find out more!

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:57 pm

Shadowwell wrote:Though this osnt a mechanic related question, many of you have been here a while, so here goes.

What do you mean when you say temp IC?
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:18 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:
Shadowwell wrote:Though this osnt a mechanic related question, many of you have been here a while, so here goes.

Due to a family emergency i am away. But i want the ic to go up, before interest is lost. I was wanting the ic put up, to be temporary, before i put a proper one up.
✒ I'm a Proud Member of VARSITY ROW! Come check us out! ✒

I'M A MEMBER OF THOUGHT CAFE
WE'RE THE AWESOMEST, COME CHECK US OUT

When i am not being your average Drunk at the Pub, i am the Founder and Headmaster of The Academy. On my off time i am also a Member of the Mechanics Guild. Member of The Council of the Multiverse community. Click me to find out more!

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:25 pm

Shadowwell wrote:

Due to a family emergency i am away. But i want the ic to go up, before interest is lost. I was wanting the ic put up, to be temporary, before i put a proper one up.

Well, you could always just put up the IC in a makeshift fashion then edit it later to be better.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

The Burning Sun
Senator

Founded: Sep 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Burning Sun » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:55 am

*yawns*
"All that we see or seem/Is but a dream within a dream" - Poe
TBS, M.D | Founder of the Mechanics' Guild | EST 9-9
because my self-esteem is so low
TriStates wrote:+100 Tri-Points
Khasinkonia wrote:
The Burning Sun wrote:I posted. Just in case it gets buried by the depressing duo over there.

I award you ten points for the nickname. Which will buy you...
more posts from the duo
Royal Brownie PointsTM
Atlannia wrote:Mmm it's not looking good I'm afraid, the purple haired goth loli next to a sweatervest wearing bishonen portends financial strife and the double archery chick is a rare sign predicting the death of someone close to you, I'm sorry.
That'll be $32.99
All the logic

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:57 am

The Burning Sun wrote:*yawns*

Looking for new RPs? :P

Pac Kindom
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Pac Kindom » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:58 am

Me too
Hi

Please be Aware I DO have a learning disability which affects my spelling and my written Language

If I Have Made A Mistake, Please Let Me Know

Many Thanks

The Burning Sun
Senator

Founded: Sep 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Burning Sun » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:05 am

The Burning Sun wrote:*yawns*

Looking for new RPs? :P

I dunno. Spring vacation is pretty uneventful so far, but I know things are about to go crazy with finals coming up.
"All that we see or seem/Is but a dream within a dream" - Poe
TBS, M.D | Founder of the Mechanics' Guild | EST 9-9
because my self-esteem is so low
TriStates wrote:+100 Tri-Points
Khasinkonia wrote:
The Burning Sun wrote:I posted. Just in case it gets buried by the depressing duo over there.

I award you ten points for the nickname. Which will buy you...
more posts from the duo
Royal Brownie PointsTM
Atlannia wrote:Mmm it's not looking good I'm afraid, the purple haired goth loli next to a sweatervest wearing bishonen portends financial strife and the double archery chick is a rare sign predicting the death of someone close to you, I'm sorry.
That'll be $32.99
All the logic

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:06 am

Pac Kindom wrote:Me too

Did you check out North's new Star Wars RP? It's delightfully mechanicy.

Harkback Union
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Harkback Union » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:59 am

I've got another RP coming up, planetary colonization with relatively simple rules (and no OP/Overlord reliance). Would anyone be willing to join after my previous disasters?

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:00 pm

Harkback Union wrote:I've got another RP coming up, planetary colonization with relatively simple rules (and no OP/Overlord reliance). Would anyone be willing to join after my previous disasters?

+1

Indo-pasif archipelago
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 12, 2013
Democratic Socialists

Postby Indo-pasif archipelago » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:14 pm

Harkback Union wrote:I've got another RP coming up, planetary colonization with relatively simple rules (and no OP/Overlord reliance). Would anyone be willing to join after my previous disasters?

Might be. Would it be something Civ: beyond earth-ish?
I picked the Anarchist Hog

Pac Kindom
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Pac Kindom » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:50 pm

+1

+2
Hi

Please be Aware I DO have a learning disability which affects my spelling and my written Language

If I Have Made A Mistake, Please Let Me Know

Many Thanks

Harkback Union
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Harkback Union » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:46 pm

Indo-pasif archipelago wrote:

Might be. Would it be something Civ: beyond earth-ish?

I'm thinking Mars, maybe?
Or is that too mainstream these days?

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:03 pm

Pac Kindom wrote:
+1

+2

+3

Plzen
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:23 pm

Harkback Union wrote:I'm thinking Mars, maybe?

I think something like Civ: Beyond Earth would actually play really well.

Mars is simply too hostile for the science fiction tropes as we know them, and it doesn't have native life that we can fight/befriend. It's also awfully close to Earth, which means that ties to old sponsor nations will be really strong (maybe this is what you want, though).

Could I perhaps have a look at the mechanics you have so far?
Last edited by Plzen on Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harkback Union
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Harkback Union » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:27 pm

Plzen wrote:
Harkback Union wrote:I'm thinking Mars, maybe?

I think something like Civ: Beyond Earth would actually play really well.

Mars is simply too hostile for the science fiction tropes as we know them, and it doesn't have native life that we can fight/befriend. It's also awfully close to Earth, which means that ties to old sponsor nations will be really strong (maybe this is what you want, though).

My Idea is...
If its set on mars, I can just copy one of Nasa's maps instead of having to draw my own.

Indo-pasif archipelago
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 12, 2013
Democratic Socialists

Postby Indo-pasif archipelago » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:35 pm

Harkback Union wrote:
Plzen wrote:I think something like Civ: Beyond Earth would actually play really well.

My Idea is...
If its set on mars, I can just copy one of Nasa's maps instead of having to draw my own.

If you choose something other than Mars, you can use the Martian map and turn it upside down. Really most of us won't even notice it.
I picked the Anarchist Hog

Harkback Union
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Harkback Union » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:37 pm

Harkback Union wrote:
Plzen wrote:I think something like Civ: Beyond Earth would actually play really well.

My Idea is...

Actually... The mechanics are still in the works. I have devised a story though
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=410257
I think I went a bit overboard here and there.

Anyway, I think the mars setting is pretty good since not only can I save time on maps but also on naval mechanics.
And who knows if mars has native life?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse