NATION

PASSWORD

The Mechanics' Guild: An RP(G) Community

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Burning Sun
Senator

Founded: Sep 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Burning Sun » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:08 am

Vladivostokava wrote:
The Burning Sun wrote:I hope you're good at mapmaking, because it sounds like you're going to need a fucking huge one. It sounds like each state counts as a single territory or faction, correct?

Each county may or may not have resources. Yes. I have a massive map and I am ready to start editing it. :)

I may have it like this: Several counties will make a territory. you get the resources from the counties and unlock a small bonus from controlling a counties. Then all the counties make a state. Having a whole state will give you a resources bonus. Maybe something along these lines.

Sounds good. Do you want to involve base building, or just unit manipulation? As for the aforementioned tank problem, I would highly suggest you stay away from games of chance. Most of us are pretty chill with it, but unless you're G-Tech or someone equally well known, you always run the risk of being accused for bias. Perhaps limit the tanks to a state resource bonus, justified by a faction needing parts from multiple separate bases to repair a single tank, and have them have a really high fuel and ammunition upkeep?
"All that we see or seem/Is but a dream within a dream" - Poe
TBS, M.D | Founder of the Mechanics' Guild | EST 9-9
because my self-esteem is so low
TriStates wrote:+100 Tri-Points
Khasinkonia wrote:
The Burning Sun wrote:I posted. Just in case it gets buried by the depressing duo over there.

I award you ten points for the nickname. Which will buy you...
more posts from the duo
Royal Brownie PointsTM
Atlannia wrote:Mmm it's not looking good I'm afraid, the purple haired goth loli next to a sweatervest wearing bishonen portends financial strife and the double archery chick is a rare sign predicting the death of someone close to you, I'm sorry.
That'll be $32.99
All the logic

Plzen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:14 am

I can write the internal politics and economics for you for that post-apocalypse RP, if you want.

Something simplified and abstract, but also very dynamic and strategic.

Also, somebody has to tell me why 90% of post-apoc RPs seems to be set in North America. Other continents exist, after all...
Last edited by Plzen on Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Burning Sun
Senator

Founded: Sep 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Burning Sun » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:18 am

Plzen wrote:I can write the internal politics and economics for you for that post-apocalypse RP, if you want.

Also, somebody has to tell me why 90% of post-apoc RPs seems to be set in North America. Other continents exist, after all...

More people on NS live there?
"All that we see or seem/Is but a dream within a dream" - Poe
TBS, M.D | Founder of the Mechanics' Guild | EST 9-9
because my self-esteem is so low
TriStates wrote:+100 Tri-Points
Khasinkonia wrote:
The Burning Sun wrote:I posted. Just in case it gets buried by the depressing duo over there.

I award you ten points for the nickname. Which will buy you...
more posts from the duo
Royal Brownie PointsTM
Atlannia wrote:Mmm it's not looking good I'm afraid, the purple haired goth loli next to a sweatervest wearing bishonen portends financial strife and the double archery chick is a rare sign predicting the death of someone close to you, I'm sorry.
That'll be $32.99
All the logic

Vladivostokava
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 21, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Vladivostokava » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:20 am

The Burning Sun wrote:
Vladivostokava wrote:Each county may or may not have resources. Yes. I have a massive map and I am ready to start editing it. :)

I may have it like this: Several counties will make a territory. you get the resources from the counties and unlock a small bonus from controlling a counties. Then all the counties make a state. Having a whole state will give you a resources bonus. Maybe something along these lines.

Sounds good. Do you want to involve base building, or just unit manipulation? As for the aforementioned tank problem, I would highly suggest you stay away from games of chance. Most of us are pretty chill with it, but unless you're G-Tech or someone equally well known, you always run the risk of being accused for bias. Perhaps limit the tanks to a state resource bonus, justified by a faction needing parts from multiple separate bases to repair a single tank, and have them have a really high fuel and ammunition upkeep?

I dont care about being accused of anything. I know what is right and wrong. If a player or three leave because they didnt get their way, let them.

Each territory will have a number of building slots. So you cant flood one place with everything. This will force people to spread troops around and be more tactical with their resources.

Also, you will be aloud to restore existing structures, this can take longer. But you may also have the choice to convert something or even build over it.

An example being, If you locate a cotton farm, you could restore the irrigation and other things for a certain amount of water resources (something like "scrap") to restore the field. And of corse time. if you dont have the resources available... you can ways turn it into a smaller cotton field taking up less resources but naturally garnering less crop. You could also build over the land.

The Idea is that restoring a facility will cost a little more but you can gain a little more from it. But if a faction cant afford to repair the irrigation then they can down size it, wait till latter, or build over it.
My name is Ava/Ewa I am from Poland.
我会说一点, Mowie po polsku, I speak English.
I am Polish born, American citizen, I live in China.

Vladivostokava
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vladivostokava » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:22 am

Plzen wrote:I can write the internal politics and economics for you for that post-apocalypse RP, if you want.

Because Americans have lots of guns. And this is also where a large amount of players are loacated. I am in china. But I feel the end of the world... would be much harder on the population of beijing.. over some areas in america..

Can you message me?

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:27 am

Well, because post-apocalyptic central Africa would just look like regular central Africa.
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Vladivostokava
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vladivostokava » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:28 am

Excidium Planetis wrote:

Well, because post-apocalyptic central Africa would just look like regular central Africa.

Hehe.. I choked on toast.

Plzen
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:31 am

Anyways, a rough idea I had for internal politics is separating out regime support and factional identity.

There are a few ideas that populations have to certain degrees. For example, Nebraska might have high religiosity and high militarism. These influence the chance that support of various, fixed, factions will rise and fall. For example, high religiosity will mean that there is a high chance that the Church will gain popularity in any given turn. Popularities of factions can be arbitrarily increased or decreased temporarily through player action.

These sets of factions create natural activities. Deviation from natural activities will result in low regime support (the people do not like the ruling faction), and therefore penalties to production will happen. Extremely low regime support might result in coups and revolutions. For example, if the hippie faction is very popular when the player is doing un-hippie things like declaring wars, then the dissatisfied faction will cause penalties to production and may start coups.

Factional identity is a much simpler concept. If a player conquers large populations quickly, or enacts anti-integration measures like slavery, then factional identity will suffer (people do not feel like they belong in your faction). This will reduce a player's effective military strength, as well as potentially triggering separatist movements.

That's sort of the (very) simplified version. If you like it I'll flesh it out.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:34 am

The Burning Sun wrote:
Vladivostokava wrote:Each county may or may not have resources. Yes. I have a massive map and I am ready to start editing it. :)

Actually, I still get accused haha.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Vladivostokava
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vladivostokava » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:37 am

Plzen wrote:Anyways, a rough idea I had for internal politics is separating out regime support and factional identity.

There are a few ideas that populations have to certain degrees. For example, Nebraska might have high religiosity and high militarism. These influence the chance that support of various, fixed, factions will rise and fall. For example, high religiosity will mean that there is a high chance that the Church will gain popularity in any given turn. Popularities of factions can be arbitrarily increased or decreased temporarily through player action.

These sets of factions create natural activities. Deviation from natural activities will result in low regime support (the people do not like the ruling faction), and therefore penalties to production will happen. Extremely low regime support might result in coups and revolutions. For example, if the hippie faction is very popular when the player is doing un-hippie things like declaring wars, then the dissatisfied faction will cause penalties to production and may start coups.

Factional identity is a much simpler concept. If a player conquers large populations quickly, or enacts anti-integration measures like slavery, then factional identity will suffer (people do not feel like they belong in your faction). This will reduce a player's effective military strength, as well as potentially triggering separatist movements.

That's sort of the (very) simplified version. If you like it I'll flesh it out.

Some of this could be used yes. I wanna go down a list. So I want to do buildings. Territorys, map and resources first. Once we get that set up I need to do military units. OR I need to do units first, then chose what and how they can be created. Then buildings.

Vladivostokava
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vladivostokava » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:40 am

G-Tech Corporation wrote:
The Burning Sun wrote:Sounds good. Do you want to involve base building, or just unit manipulation? As for the aforementioned tank problem, I would highly suggest you stay away from games of chance. Most of us are pretty chill with it, but unless you're G-Tech or someone equally well known, you always run the risk of being accused for bias. Perhaps limit the tanks to a state resource bonus, justified by a faction needing parts from multiple separate bases to repair a single tank, and have them have a really high fuel and ammunition upkeep?

Actually, I still get accused haha.

Thankfully you are not a push over.

But nor am I. I am a people pleaser, but I am also the woman In charge. I do not get the two confused and nobody else should either.

Plzen
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:47 am

Vladivostokava wrote:Some of this could be used yes. I wanna go down a list. So I want to do buildings. Territorys, map and resources first. Once we get that set up I need to do military units. OR I need to do units first, then chose what and how they can be created. Then buildings.

I would advise going for a high level of abstraction. "Infantry equipment" instead of rifles, uniform, grenades, and knives. "Fuels" instead of gasoline, diesel, natural gas, and biodiesel. "Consumer goods" instead of furniture, cooking utensils, etc...

You get the idea. High levels of abstraction lets you have a simplified, but also complete economic model.

Vladivostokava
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vladivostokava » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:51 am

Plzen wrote:
Vladivostokava wrote:Some of this could be used yes. I wanna go down a list. So I want to do buildings. Territorys, map and resources first. Once we get that set up I need to do military units. OR I need to do units first, then chose what and how they can be created. Then buildings.

I would advise going for a high level of abstraction. "Infantry equipment" instead of rifles, uniform, grenades, and knives. "Fuels" instead of gasoline, diesel, natural gas, and biodiesel. "Consumer goods" instead of furniture, cooking utensils, etc...

You get the idea. High levels of abstraction lets you have a simplified, but also complete economic model.

Thats why I say "Scrap". Scrap will be building materials. Just so I dont need to say pipes, nails, and sch. however lumber will be a thing. And a few other things like concrete and MAYBE glass? Im on the fence but it dose narrow it down a bit.

Plzen
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:54 am

Vladivostokava wrote:
Plzen wrote:I would advise going for a high level of abstraction. "Infantry equipment" instead of rifles, uniform, grenades, and knives. "Fuels" instead of gasoline, diesel, natural gas, and biodiesel. "Consumer goods" instead of furniture, cooking utensils, etc...

Thats why I say "Scrap". Scrap will be building materials. Just so I dont need to say pipes, nails, and sch. however lumber will be a thing. And a few other things like concrete and MAYBE glass? Im on the fence but it dose narrow it down a bit.

Honestly, just "Construction Material" sounds good. Just have different levels.

So "Construction Material I" represents scrap plastics and wood, "Construction Material II" represents lumber and sheet metal, and so on. They will all have exactly the same function, except that you need a certain level of material for certain things and buildings get a bonus if they're built with higher level material.

That way, you only have to keep track of several levels of one material, instead of having to track several distinct materials. Much easier on the bookkeeping.

Vladivostokava
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vladivostokava » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:59 am

Plzen wrote:
Vladivostokava wrote:Thats why I say "Scrap". Scrap will be building materials. Just so I dont need to say pipes, nails, and sch. however lumber will be a thing. And a few other things like concrete and MAYBE glass? Im on the fence but it dose narrow it down a bit.

Honestly, just "Construction Material" sounds good. Just have different levels.

So "Construction Material I" represents scrap plastics and wood, "Construction Material II" represents lumber and sheet metal, and so on. They will all have exactly the same function, except that you need a certain level of material for certain things and buildings get a bonus if they're built with higher level material.

That way, you only have to keep track of several levels of one material, instead of having to track several distinct materials. Much easier on the bookkeeping.

I understand that. I like that.

Plzen
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:03 am

Vladivostokava wrote:I understand that. I like that.

:)

Trying to simplify the enormous complexity of human endeavor into something that fits on an RP mechanics post means that you sometimes have to accept ridiculous levels of abstraction.

You can use that leveling system for almost anything else as well. For example, after successfully raiding a military base, you might form an armored squad with the shiny US Military "Tank V", but once some of them get killed, then you'll have to replace them with awful "Tank I" that you made in that iron working workshop.

Vladivostokava
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vladivostokava » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:10 am

Plzen wrote:
Vladivostokava wrote:I understand that. I like that.

:)

Trying to simplify the enormous complexity of human endeavor into something that fits on an RP mechanics post means that you sometimes have to accept ridiculous levels of abstraction.

You can use that leveling system for almost anything else as well. For example, after successfully raiding a military base, you might form an armored squad with the shiny US Military "Tank V", but once some of them get killed, then you'll have to replace them with awful "Tank I" that you made in that iron working workshop.

Fuel will we a thing. But Im not sure what you mean. if you get a tank, you add it to a unit. lets say you attach a tank to infantry unit. That infantry unit now has one tank following them. Or lets say you some how get five tanks. But in battle you lose two. I want to have a machanic here you can slvage or repar from those broken or destoyed tanks. If it is destroyed you get nothing from the tank. if it is damaged it can be fixed or converted for building materials.

EDIT: you can build higher level tanks but unless you are in one of the areas that have a tank factory or large amount of spare parts.. then you can never just build a military tank. They must be salvaged or build by a faction with the ability to get one of those tank factorys back up and running.
Last edited by Vladivostokava on Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Plzen
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:18 am

Provisional list of civilian goods. The ones with stars next to them are also military goods.

*Vehicular Transportation (also required for some military units)
Industrial Machinery (used to expand production)
*Chemicals and Medicines (also required to reduce combat casualties)
Food (population dies if not given this)
Spices and Recreational Drugs
Construction Materials (used to build just about anything)
Metals (used to make just about anything)
Consumer Goods (a catch-all term that basically means "everything else")

This list sounds good so far? I think you should make the list for the remaining military goods by yourself, since that's directly related to what kinds of military units you want to have in your RP.

Vladivostokava wrote:EDIT: you can build higher level tanks but unless you are in one of the areas that have a tank factory or large amount of spare parts.. then you can never just build a military tank. They must be salvaged or build by a faction with the ability to get one of those tank factorys back up and running.

This is more or less what I mean. Any faction with an iron mill might be able to crank out "Tank I", but you need better facilities and better technology to make higher-level stuff. Needless to say, a shiny "Tank V" salvaged from the pre-apocalypse military will be much, much better than the locally-made stuff.

Do you get the rough idea?

Vladivostokava
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vladivostokava » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:25 am

Plzen wrote:Provisional list of civilian goods. The ones with stars next to them are also military goods.

*Vehicular Transportation (also required for some military units)
Industrial Machinery (used to expand production)
*Chemicals and Medicines (also required to reduce combat casualties)
Food (population dies if not given this)
Spices and Recreational Drugs
Construction Materials (used to build just about anything)
Metals (used to make just about anything)
Consumer Goods (a catch-all term that basically means "everything else")

This list sounds good so far? I think you should make the list for the remaining military goods by yourself, since that's directly related to what kinds of military units you want to have in your RP.

Vladivostokava wrote:EDIT: you can build higher level tanks but unless you are in one of the areas that have a tank factory or large amount of spare parts.. then you can never just build a military tank. They must be salvaged or build by a faction with the ability to get one of those tank factorys back up and running.

This is more or less what I mean. Any faction with an iron mill might be able to crank out "Tank I", but you need better facilities and better technology to make higher-level stuff. Needless to say, a shiny "Tank V" salvaged from the pre-apocalypse military will be much, much better than the locally-made stuff.

Do you get the rough idea?

I understand.

Can you tell me what I should start working on first? I have a format for the OP that I already use for one of my Rps. Ill modify it accordingly. But I need a direction to go in. I can start on the map but I need to know all the resources.

Plzen
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:29 am

Vladivostokava wrote:I understand.

Can you tell me what I should start working on first? I have a format for the OP that I already use for one of my Rps. Ill modify it accordingly. But I need a direction to go in. I can start on the map but I need to know all the resources.

I think Construction Material, Metals, and Fuels are the only resources that actually needs to be on the map. The rest is manufactured or omnipresent. So you should be able to start working on the map.

Meanwhile, you should also start writing combat mechanics and make a provisional list of military units, because I'm horrible at that and can't help you with it.

Plzen
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:31 am

Oh, and of course you'll want to add locations like military bases and cities on the map so that players can scavenge from them, but you can add those later.

Vladivostokava
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vladivostokava » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:32 am

Plzen wrote:
Vladivostokava wrote:I understand.

I think Construction Material, Metals, and Fuels are the only resources that actually needs to be on the map. The rest is manufactured or omnipresent. So you should be able to start working on the map.

Meanwhile, you should also start writing combat mechanics and make a provisional list of military units, because I'm horrible at that and can't help you with it.

I can do that just fine. Ill have a map done in an hour

Vladivostokava
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vladivostokava » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:32 am

Plzen wrote:Oh, and of course you'll want to add locations like military bases and cities on the map so that players can scavenge from them, but you can add those later.

Right.

Plzen
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:38 am

Alright. I'm going to sleep now and work on polishing that politics system tomorrow.

Vladivostokava
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vladivostokava » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:06 pm

The map is a true undertaking. I am adding the top 50 largest cities to the map. Major airports and airbases. Major military bases. now naval bases. I am trying to find a resource map to work off. I need to add resources. most places will have resources and I will add water resources.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse