NATION

PASSWORD

Intrigue in Court II [Fantasy Medieval/Politics/OOC]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Zelphos
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 11, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Zelphos » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:04 pm

The Valyria Empire wrote:Oh man, the original RP was one of my favorites. May I bring back my character?

'Ello Valyria, long time no see, good to have you aboard.

Yes you may bring back your old character, but he may have to be in a different court position. (As well as adjustments to the new lore)
Last edited by Zelphos on Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Utceforp
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 10, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Utceforp » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:18 pm

ApplePieistan wrote:
ApplePieistan wrote:I have the same plan. Emperors fist is the only position where you can put all your points into martial and intrigue.

On second thought, I may surrender the position just because I don’t know how to write the backstory for an emperors fist. I don’t know how they’re appointed, what training they need, etc.

Yeah, I withdraw my reservation.

Alright, then is it okay if I un-withdraw my reservation?
Signatures are so 2014.

Zelphos
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Zelphos » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:24 pm

Utceforp wrote:
ApplePieistan wrote:On second thought, I may surrender the position just because I don’t know how to write the backstory for an emperors fist. I don’t know how they’re appointed, what training they need, etc.

Yeah, I withdraw my reservation.

Alright, then is it okay if I un-withdraw my reservation?

Fine by me.

Darksworth
Envoy

Founded: Nov 10, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Darksworth » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:30 pm

Full Name: Victor Castilla
House (Family) Name: The Castilla Clan
Title (if any): "Doktor"
Sex: Male
Appearance:

Court Role: Royal Healer/Physician
Social Class: ???
Backstory: The mysterious, beak-masked royal physician that hauntingly wanders the emperor's court was born in the darkest canals of Bargainton. His childhood was largely a secret but it was presumably, like many others, a hard time during his life.

The first official known whereabouts of Victor during his teens was him working as a book curator of a small-time library in his hometown of Bargainton. While he kept storage and care of various books and pamphlets from thievery, he secretly began to read and learn from his time spent there. Studying topics like history, literature and geography. But the most topic he was keen about however, was the taboo-esque exploration of the organic body of various living beings for science and medicine. This led him to doing sickly experiments with dead street rats and stray canines. If you didn't find him reading a book in the library then you might find him crouched over a foul-smelling carcass, poking said carcass with a makeshift examining prod.

His disturbing endeavors eventually led him to experimenting on Human bodies. Victor performed various acts of scientific "research" on corpses from the local cemetery, announcing that his doings was for the future of medicine and the eradication of undesirable elements in the organic system. Whatever it was, the citizens of Bargainton didn't take kindly as he was issued incarceration after being discovered "grave robbing" for the umpteenth time.

Victor managed to escape the authorities long enough for his actions to be forgotten by traveling to the other territories of empire of Vexia. He spent the remainders of his time by being a "doctor-for-hire" in the various parts of the empire before somehow landing himself as a royal physician and doctor of emperor Mariot's court.

This however, did not stop him from his sickly experiments. And time will only tell of how his colleagues might sit with the fact that their entrusted doctor was also a corpse-opening enthusiast.
Stewardship: 8
Intrigue: 8
Martial: 0
Diplomacy: 2
Renown: 7
Last edited by Darksworth on Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Commonwealth of Darksworth is a pseudo-steampunk space-faring civilization. With their technology having been acquired by invading a far greater civilization. Due to this peculiar situation, their tech is a mix between pre-industrialized and late-space age.
Technology Level: Tier 4-5: PT/MT
Arcane Level: Level 0-Inept
Influence Type: Type 6-Planetary Politician
Based on this Index
---
Tier: Tier 5
Type: Type IV
Government Size: Superpower
Based on this Index

*Consult me for NS stats via TG*
Working as a Concept Artist, drawing mainly monsters, creatures and maps. Currently living somewhere in Southeast Asia or Oceania, take a guess.
---
In terms of my political stance, I'm Far/Alt-Right. That's legit, I could be categorized as a Technocratic Fascist.

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 02, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Khasinkonia » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:51 pm

I think Doktor and Lady Emma might get along rather well. He’s looking for some covert corpses, and she needs someone to preform clandestine funerals.

Zelphos
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Zelphos » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:17 pm

Darksworth wrote:Full Name: Victor Castilla
House (Family) Name: The Castilla Clan
Title (if any): "Doktor"
Appearance: Image)
Court Role: Royal Healer/Physician
Social Class: ???
Backstory: The mysterious, beak-masked royal physician that hauntingly wanders the emperor's court was born in the darkest canals of Bargainton. His childhood was largely a secret but it was presumably, like many others, a hard time during his life.

The first official known whereabouts of Victor during his teens was him working as a book curator of a small-time library in his hometown of Bargainton. While he kept storage and care of various books and pamphlets from thievery, he secretly began to read and learn from his time spent there. Studying topics like history, literature and geography. But the most topic he was keen about however, was the taboo-esque exploration of the organic body of various living beings for science and medicine. This led him to doing sickly experiments with dead street rats and stray canines. If you didn't find him reading a book in the library then you might find him crouched over a foul-smelling carcass, poking said carcass with a makeshift examining prod.

His disturbing endeavors eventually led him to experimenting on Human bodies. Victor performed various acts of scientific "research" on corpses from the local cemetery, announcing that his doings was for the future of medicine and the eradication of undesirable elements in the organic system. Whatever it was, the citizens of Bargainton didn't take kindly as he was issued incarceration after being discovered "grave robbing" for the umpteenth time.

Victor managed to escape the authorities long enough for his actions to be forgotten by traveling to the other territories of empire of Vexia. He spent the remainders of his time by being a "doctor-for-hire" in the various parts of the empire before somehow landing himself as a royal physician and doctor of emperor Mariot's court.

This however, did not stop him from his sickly experiments. And time will only tell of how his colleagues might with the fact that their entrusted doctor was also a corpse-opening enthusiast.
Stewardship: 8
Intrigue: 8
Martial: 0
Diplomacy: 2
Renown: 7

Interesting character? Check. Suspicious? Check. Welcome aboard.

Last edited by Zelphos on Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Valyria Empire
Negotiator

Founded: May 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Valyria Empire » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:45 pm

Zelphos wrote:
The Valyria Empire wrote:Oh man, the original RP was one of my favorites. May I bring back my character?

'Ello Valyria, long time no see, good to have you aboard.

Yes you may bring back your old character, but he may have to be in a different court position. (As well as adjustments to the new lore)

Understood. I’ll read over the new changes and make the adjustments needed.

I noticed in someone’s app they mention Irish. So is this a original fantasy Earth or is it our original Earth with new land?

Zelphos
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Zelphos » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:55 pm

The Valyria Empire wrote:Understood. I’ll read over the new changes and make the adjustments needed.

I noticed in someone’s app they mention Irish. So is this a original fantasy Earth or is it our original Earth with new land?

The best way I can explain it is that the roleplay brings in cultures/races from Earth to a new fantasy Earth with new land, or, well, original Earth with new land.

Utceforp
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Utceforp » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:19 pm

How old was Emperor Jakar btw? An important part of my bio involves my character meeting Jakar when they were both young, so I want him to be around the same age.
Signatures are so 2014.

Zelphos
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Zelphos » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:39 pm

Utceforp wrote:How old was Emperor Jakar btw? An important part of my bio involves my character meeting Jakar when they were both young, so I want him to be around the same age.

I imagine Emperor Jakar died in his 50's, 60's. If we follow RL life expectancy of medieval Europe, the average was around 30 years, but if we also add up the treatment of royalty, it could quite possibly expand to the number figures I mentioned.

Fuma Shogunate
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 27, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Fuma Shogunate » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:41 pm

Full Name: Chelubey Khan

House (Family) Name: House of Mongke.

Title (if any): Khan of the Blue Horde, Vassal of the Emperor.

Appearance:

Court Role: Vassal

Social Class: Martial

Backstory: The blue horde were ancient and renowned enemies of the Khuphate - and sole tribe that refused to accept the Khuphate's unification attempts. For many years the two groups fought a bitter war for dominance on the steppes, till the Blue Horde withered in both number and power. Led by newly appointed khan Mongke, the blue horde left for a massive migration which brought it within the territory of the Empire of Vexia. Instead of invading the powerful Empire, Mongke made a covenant with the Emperor of Vexia; in exchange for protecting the border and serving militarily upon Emperor's call, the Blue Horde were permitted to settle on vast uninhabited grasslands of the Eastern Frontier. For many years did the nomads serve the Empire faithfully, often becoming tip of the Imperial spear during many conflicts.

Chelubey was born as oldest of three sons of Khan Baatar, a descendant of Mongke, who led the blue horde during his days. Since his childhood Chelubey learned standard craft of his fellows - wrestling, horsemanship and archery, exceeding in all of those fields among his peers. Future khan fought his first battle at age of 13, already leading a raid against the Kuphate at age of 17, winning praise of the krultai (council advising the khans) who unanimously approved him on position of future khan. X

When Chelubey hit nineteen years of age, he embarked on a raid against the Khuphate alongside his father. The raid proven to be a total disaster as the party fell into ambush of the steppe nomads. Baatar Khan lost his life and it was only Chelubey's firm leadership that saved the force from annihilation. Returning home and bitter from his father's death, Chelubey assumed leadership of the nomadic army and embarked on ten years of massive warfare against the Kuphate, defeating them in many battles and earning reputation of talented commander and cunning strategist. When the Khuphate threat waned for a period of time, the great khan led a raid on the Southern Kingdoms upon Emperor's order.

It was that moment which proven to be decessive in his life. Although scoring victory in many battles and destroying countless enemies, Chelubey was relentless due to the fact that violence and terror he unleashed was extraordinary even for a steppe nomad. Becoming afraid of his own barbarism, the future khan devoted himself deeper into teachings of the Heavenly Lord, the native religion of the Blue Horde.

It was that time when Brandon Vixis ascended on the throne. Leaving military operations against the Khuphate in hands of his trusted brother and governance in hands of kurultai, Chelubey moved to capital in order to attain atonement for what he seen as his own evil by serving the greater good and protecting young monarch. Despite his goal, however, Chelubey remains a barbaric, violent force having an entire horde on his disposal.

The courtiers better hope the Emperor won't order it to be unleashed on someone.

The inspiration for this form of character came from Lipka tatars of the Polish Lithuanian commonwealth.

Stewardship: (0-15): 0 - Chelubey Khan and his people are nomads, whose live are relatively simple, and majority of their income comes from spoils of war. As such it is hard to expect from those nomads to know advanced techniques. At home Chelubey left governance in hands of the kurultai, while himself constantly waging war upon the Empire's enemies.

Intrigue: (0-15): 5 While a powerful warrior and leader, Chelubey Khan has only basic understanding of politics. Nevertheless, he understands the art of strategy and spying relatively well.

Martial: (0-15): 15 (10 normal + 5 from warrior) - Chelubey Khan is one of most renowned warriors of his age, having military genius equal to historical Ghenghis Khan and his "four dogs". He led the horde through constant period of warfare on the Eastern Frontier; as well launched several other expeditions on Emperor's behalf. He personally reorganized the forces of the blue horde and provided them with better equipment acquired due to revenue from raids.

Diplomacy: (0-15): 3 A barbarian like him is hardly the person you would send in a delegation. Still, Chelubey Khan has enough understanding coming from applying the military strategy to other fields to move within this area.

Renown: (0-15): 2 - Chelubey Khan and his people are still seen as barbarians due to their cultural and religious differences from majority of Empire's population. The little fame Baatar Khan has he owes to fear his person causes due to terror used during his campaigns.

TRACKING PURPOSES
: Indiana
Last edited by Fuma Shogunate on Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:28 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Postby Khasinkonia » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:45 pm

Zelphos wrote:
Utceforp wrote:How old was Emperor Jakar btw? An important part of my bio involves my character meeting Jakar when they were both young, so I want him to be around the same age.

I imagine Emperor Jakar died in his 50's, 60's. If we follow RL life expectancy of medieval Europe, the average was around 30 years, but if we also add up the treatment of royalty, it could quite possibly expand to the number figures I mentioned.

The key word is average. Most people who lived to 21 in the Middle Ages could expect to live to at least 50 to 60, so 80 year olds in the court I wouldn’t imagine to be too outlandish.

ApplePieistan
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 06, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby ApplePieistan » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:01 pm

Full Name: Betty Clarke
House (Family) Name: Clarke
Title (if any): Chef
Sex: Female
Appearance:
Court Role: Chef
Social Class: Peasant
Backstory: Back in the day, Betty was a simple merchant in Windstard with a stand in the town square. From humble beginnings, she sold meatballs to natives and travelers using a secret recipe of hers. While no one knows for sure what’s in them, all her customers can attest that they are impossibly delicious and borderline addictive. Betty’s meatballs were all the rage in Windstard, and travelers that came and left spread word of her cooking to far off lands. In a few years, Betty’s business was very successful, and Betty herself was unreasonably famous. She was earning a killing, though expansion was limited by oppressive taxation.

Betty was always spiteful of the royals, taking her hard-earned money and spending it on luxuries. Her opinion wasn’t uncommon amongst the 99%, some of whom she knew plotted insurrection. Throughout her days, Betty got to know some people who plotted to lead the revolution, some of whom had very agreeable ideas of what to do. She wanted to help them out, but she was unsure of what a simple cook like her could do. Conveniently, with word of her renowned cooking having spread across the lands, the royals inevitably heard of her, and Betty was offered a position to cook for the court. Not only would this be an opportunity to earn more money, but the position may offer an opportunity to do some spying. While she’s employed as a royal chef, it’s an open secret that she still sells to peasants on the side.

Stewardship: 0
Intrigue: 7
Martial: 3
Diplomacy: 0
Renown: 15

TRACKING PURPOSES: Indiana

Zelphos
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Zelphos » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:45 pm

Fuma Shogunate wrote:Full Name: Chelubey Khan

Appearance:

(Image)

Backstory: The blue horde were ancient and renowned enemies of the Khuphate - and sole tribe that refused to accept the Khuphate's unification attempts. For many years the two groups fought a bitter war for dominance on the steppes, till the Blue Horde withered in both number and power. Led by newly appointed khan Mongke, the blue horde left for a massive migration which brought it within the territory of the Empire of Vexia. Instead of invading the powerful Empire, Mongke made a covenant with the Emperor of Vexia; in exchange for protecting the border and serving militarily upon Emperor's call, the Blue Horde were permitted to settle on vast uninhabited grasslands of the Eastern Frontier. For many years did the nomads serve the Empire faithfully, often becoming tip of the Imperial spear during many conflicts.

Chelubey was born as oldest of three sons of Khan Baatar, a descendant of Mongke, who led the blue horde during his days. Since his childhood Chelubey learned standard craft of his fellows - wrestling, horsemanship and archery, exceeding in all of those fields among his peers. Future khan fought his first battle at age of 13, already leading a raid against the Kuphate at age of 17, winning praise of the krultai (council advising the khans) who unanimously approved him on position of future khan. X

When Chelubey hit nineteen years of age, he embarked on a raid against the Khuphate alongside his father. The raid proven to be a total disaster as the party fell into ambush of the steppe nomads. Baatar Khan lost his life and it was only Chelubey's firm leadership that saved the force from annihilation. Returning home and bitter from his father's death, Chelubey assumed leadership of the nomadic army and embarked on ten years of massive warfare against the Kuphate, defeating them in many battles and earning reputation of talented commander and cunning strategist. When the Khuphate threat waned for a period of time, the great khan led a raid on the Southern Kingdoms upon Emperor's order.

It was that moment which proven to be decessive in his life. Although scoring victory in many battles and destroying countless enemies, Chelubey was relentless due to the fact that violence and terror he unleashed was extraordinary even for a steppe nomad. Becoming afraid of his own barbarism, the future khan devoted himself deeper into teachings of the Heavenly Lord, the native religion of the Blue Horde.

It was that time when Brandon Vixis ascended on the throne. Leaving military operations against the Khuphate in hands of his trusted brother and governance in hands of kurultai, Chelubey moved to capital in order to attain atonement for what he seen as his own evil by serving the greater good and protecting young monarch. Despite his goal, however, Chelubey remains a barbaric, violent force having an entire horde on his disposal.

The courtiers better hope the Emperor won't order it to be unleashed on someone.

The inspiration for this form of character came from Lipka tatars of the Polish Lithuanian commonwealth.

Stewardship: (0-15): 0 - Chelubey Khan and his people are nomads, whose live are relatively simple, and majority of their income comes from spoils of war. As such it is hard to expect from those nomads to know advanced techniques. At home Chelubey left governance in hands of the kurultai, while himself constantly waging war upon the Empire's enemies.

Intrigue: (0-15): 5 While a powerful warrior and leader, Chelubey Khan has only basic understanding of politics. Nevertheless, he understands the art of strategy and spying relatively well.

Martial: (0-15): 15 (10 normal + 5 from warrior) - Chelubey Khan is one of most renowned warriors of his age, having military genius equal to historical Ghenghis Khan and his "four dogs". He led the horde through constant period of warfare on the Eastern Frontier; as well launched several other expeditions on Emperor's behalf. He personally reorganized the forces of the blue horde and provided them with better equipment acquired due to revenue from raids.

Diplomacy: (0-15): 3 A barbarian like him is hardly the person you would send in a delegation. Still, Chelubey Khan has enough understanding coming from applying the military strategy to other fields to move within this area.

Renown: (0-15): 2 - Chelubey Khan and his people are still seen as barbarians due to their cultural and religious differences from majority of Empire's population. The little fame Baatar Khan has he owes to fear his person causes due to terror used during his campaigns.

TRACKING PURPOSES

Beautifully done. I look forward to interacting with your character in the upcoming IC.

Khasinkonia wrote:The key word is average. Most people who lived to 21 in the Middle Ages could expect to live to at least 50 to 60, so 80 year olds in the court I wouldn’t imagine to be too outlandish.

Aye, true. I eagerly await your application.

ApplePieistan wrote:Full Name: Betty Clarke
Appearance:
Backstory: Back in the day, Betty was a simple merchant in Windstard with a stand in the town square. From humble beginnings, she sold meatballs to natives and travelers using a secret recipe of hers. While no one knows for sure what’s in them, all her customers can attest that they are impossibly delicious and borderline addictive. Betty’s meatballs were all the rage in Windstard, and travelers that came and left spread word of her cooking to far off lands. In a few years, Betty’s business was very successful, and Betty herself was unreasonably famous. She was earning a killing, though expansion was limited by oppressive taxation.

Betty was always spiteful of the royals, taking her hard-earned money and spending it on luxuries. Her opinion wasn’t uncommon amongst the 99%, some of whom she knew plotted insurrection. Throughout her days, Betty got to know some people who plotted to lead the revolution, some of whom had very agreeable ideas of what to do. She wanted to help them out, but she was unsure of what a simple cook like her could do. Conveniently, with word of her renowned cooking having spread across the lands, the royals inevitably heard of her, and Betty was offered a position to cook for the court. Not only would this be an opportunity to earn more money, but the position may offer an opportunity to do some spying. While she’s employed as a royal chef, it’s an open secret that she still sells to peasants on the side.

Amazing, I would definitely buy her secret meatball recipe. Interesting new perspective.

Ah, still missing a majority of council positions. This may be somewhat troubling to the storyline, but can be fixed nonetheless.
Last edited by Zelphos on Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 20, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:55 pm

I'm making a steward character, not to worry!
The name's James. James Usari. Well, my name is not actually James Usari, so don't bother actually looking it up, but it'll do for now.
Lack of a real name means compensation through a real face. My debt is settled
Part-time Kebab tycoon in Glasgow.

Postmaster of the Fleet

Democratic Socialists

Postby Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:31 pm

Full Name: Tamir-Daan ‘Son of Jakar’
House (Family) Name: Formerly the House of Tamir
Title: Titular Knight of the Coinage
Appearance:

Court Role: Steward
Social Class: Scholar
Backstory: The Tamir family was once a renowned family in the southern city-state of Desiq-ça, a merchant republic which enjoyed much independence from the southern kingdoms. The city facilitated trade between the various kingdoms, and their independence was worth more to the southern kings than her subjugation. The trade caravans of this city reached far and wide, as did the contacts of her wealthiest families. Among then was the Tamir family, grown rich through the trade in spices. They owned large spice plantations on the distant ‘Isles of the Weeping Sun’ (Inundar-Sheq daç), from where they exported spices to the distant corners of the South, and even to the trade centres of the Empire.

Being a port city, Tamir-Daan saw a lot traveling the world in his day. He saw much, from the Weepin Sun Isles from whence his family once came to Windstard itself, which he visited two times in order to gain more trade relations. He wasn’t amazed much by the city or her people. In his memoirs, he would write about this ‘empire of degeneracy, more concerned with painting a map than providing for the land they already had’. Most of his time was spent in Desiq-ça, assisting his father in managing their family enterprise. He would later get into politics as well, holding a few of the more honourable positions among the Desiq bureaucracy.

In the later years of his life, the emperor Jakar would begin to feel more threatened by outside forces. Especially the eastern and northern tribes became more threatening, but the emperor never lost sight of his southern borders. Fearing an incursion from the organised Kingdoms while his own empire was at its weakest, Jakar instigated research into multiple grand battle plans for all eventualities. One of them included a staged destabilisation of the South. This planning culminated in the War of Sand and Stone, wherein an imperial army marched south to ‘hunt bandits threatening their lands’. Instead of hunting these proclaimed bandits, the army of the Legate marched straight towards the city of Desiq-ça, the economic engine of the region. The imperial army slaughtered the levy army mustered by the city nobles, and the mercenaries sent to finish the job deserted before the might of the Imperials, due in no small part to bribes paid by the Legate.

When the army reached the city, it was prepared for a siege. However, the walls had fallen in disrepair, and much of the city had sprawled outside of her old gates and defences. The population density of the city centre tripled due to the refugees, enormously overburdening the granaries. Tamir-Daan was there to witness the horror of the siege. Disease and hunger struck the population, with only the mercenary companies getting enough food to last. It was expected that the imperial army would take the city by force, but they took their time. Despite numerous calls for aid, no single southern kingdom was brave enough to seek open combat with an imperial army. After a three month siege, the city finally opened her gates in surrender, partially pressured by the mercenary companies.

The imperial army was relentless in her victory. Whether by mistake or order we do not know, but we know the soldiers ransacked the city wholly. They burned down places of worship and buildings, looting whatever treasuries they could. Men were slain, women and children sold into slavery. The murder lasted for three days before the officers could reign their men in, and by then it was far too late. Tamir-Daan was taken captive while trying to escape the city and hauled off as a slave for the imperial household. He had seen his own father crucified, the grave of his mother defiled and robbed, and his brothers killed. His sisters had undergone unspeakable pain before being ended. With him being put into slavery, the line of Tamir officially ended, as slaves could not hold titles according to the ancient Southern Laws.

Tamir-Daan was part of the triumph held for this victorious army, returning from fresh conquest. Like so many prisoners, he was drawn behind chariots laden with holy relics of his faith. Banners of his city were burned, and the spices that had long been property of his family were given to the emperor as gifts, as if they were theirs to give. Tamir-Daan too was presented, as a personal slave to the emperor. As slave to the imperial household, Tamir-Daan was given a posting at the harbour, acting as an imperial tax man. The imperial bureaucracy was manned in large part by personal slaves of the emperor. This made everything much easier: slaves could be punished at will. They could not hold property, so theft from the emperor was impossible. Masters could kill their slaves without repercussions, to keeping this slave bureaucracy in line was far easier than actually hiring skilled bureaucrats.

Tamir-Daan, all the fight whipped from his body, had no choice but to comply. He took to his new work with vigour. So much so, in fact, that he began rising up the ranks. First as taxman for the docks, then as warden of the city gates. After that, he became Intendant of Royal Land Transfer Fees, from which position he moved to the Imperial Stewardship: comparable to a ministry of finance, guarding the royal treasury. When the last steward was thrown from a window for suspected embezzlement, Tamir-Daan was the only one willing to take up the position of steward. Having little respect for his own life helped him gain this important position. Ever since, Tamir-Daan has served his emperors faithfully. Jakar, and when he died, his son, who inherited him as personal property. Tamir-Daan has never had ambitions for himself, only hoping to serve his emperor wisely. However, a spirit of vengeance has never left him, and to see his prized heirlooms rot away in the vaults only brings him pain.

Stewardship: 11
Intrigue: 3 + 2
Martial: 1
Diplomacy: 5 + 3
Renown: 0 + 1

INDIANA
The name's James. James Usari. Well, my name is not actually James Usari, so don't bother actually looking it up, but it'll do for now.

Fuma Shogunate
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Fuma Shogunate » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:34 pm

Great Confederacy Of Commonwealth States wrote:Full Name: Tamir-Daan ‘Son of Jakar’
Appearance:

Backstory: The Tamir family was once a renowned family in the southern city-state of Desiq-ça, a merchant republic which enjoyed much independence from the southern kingdoms. The city facilitated trade between the various kingdoms, and their independence was worth more to the southern kings than her subjugation. The trade caravans of this city reached far and wide, as did the contacts of her wealthiest families. Among then was the Tamir family, grown rich through the trade in spices. They owned large spice plantations on the distant ‘Isles of the Weeping Sun’ (Inundar-Sheq daç), from where they exported spices to the distant corners of the South, and even to the trade centres of the Empire.

Being a port city, Tamir-Daan saw a lot traveling the world in his day. He saw much, from the Weepin Sun Isles from whence his family once came to Windstard itself, which he visited two times in order to gain more trade relations. He wasn’t amazed much by the city or her people. In his memoirs, he would write about this ‘empire of degeneracy, more concerned with painting a map than providing for the land they already had’. Most of his time was spent in Desiq-ça, assisting his father in managing their family enterprise. He would later get into politics as well, holding a few of the more honourable positions among the Desiq bureaucracy.

In the later years of his life, the emperor Jakar would begin to feel more threatened by outside forces. Especially the eastern and northern tribes became more threatening, but the emperor never lost sight of his southern borders. Fearing an incursion from the organised Kingdoms while his own empire was at its weakest, Jakar instigated research into multiple grand battle plans for all eventualities. One of them included a staged destabilisation of the South. This planning culminated in the War of Sand and Stone, wherein an imperial army marched south to ‘hunt bandits threatening their lands’. Instead of hunting these proclaimed bandits, the army of the Legate marched straight towards the city of Desiq-ça, the economic engine of the region. The imperial army slaughtered the levy army mustered by the city nobles, and the mercenaries sent to finish the job deserted before the might of the Imperials, due in no small part to bribes paid by the Legate.

When the army reached the city, it was prepared for a siege. However, the walls had fallen in disrepair, and much of the city had sprawled outside of her old gates and defences. The population density of the city centre tripled due to the refugees, enormously overburdening the granaries. Tamir-Daan was there to witness the horror of the siege. Disease and hunger struck the population, with only the mercenary companies getting enough food to last. It was expected that the imperial army would take the city by force, but they took their time. Despite numerous calls for aid, no single southern kingdom was brave enough to seek open combat with an imperial army. After a three month siege, the city finally opened her gates in surrender, partially pressured by the mercenary companies.

The imperial army was relentless in her victory. Whether by mistake or order we do not know, but we know the soldiers ransacked the city wholly. They burned down places of worship and buildings, looting whatever treasuries they could. Men were slain, women and children sold into slavery. The murder lasted for three days before the officers could reign their men in, and by then it was far too late. Tamir-Daan was taken captive while trying to escape the city and hauled off as a slave for the imperial household. He had seen his own father crucified, the grave of his mother defiled and robbed, and his brothers killed. His sisters had undergone unspeakable pain before being ended. With him being put into slavery, the line of Tamir officially ended, as slaves could not hold titles according to the ancient Southern Laws.

Tamir-Daan was part of the triumph held for this victorious army, returning from fresh conquest. Like so many prisoners, he was drawn behind chariots laden with holy relics of his faith. Banners of his city were burned, and the spices that had long been property of his family were given to the emperor as gifts, as if they were theirs to give. Tamir-Daan too was presented, as a personal slave to the emperor. As slave to the imperial household, Tamir-Daan was given a posting at the harbour, acting as an imperial tax man. The imperial bureaucracy was manned in large part by personal slaves of the emperor. This made everything much easier: slaves could be punished at will. They could not hold property, so theft from the emperor was impossible. Masters could kill their slaves without repercussions, to keeping this slave bureaucracy in line was far easier than actually hiring skilled bureaucrats.

Tamir-Daan, all the fight whipped from his body, had no choice but to comply. He took to his new work with vigour. So much so, in fact, that he began rising up the ranks. First as taxman for the docks, then as warden of the city gates. After that, he became Intendant of Royal Land Transfer Fees, from which position he moved to the Imperial Stewardship: comparable to a ministry of finance, guarding the royal treasury. When the last steward was thrown from a window for suspected embezzlement, Tamir-Daan was the only one willing to take up the position of steward. Having little respect for his own life helped him gain this important position. Ever since, Tamir-Daan has served his emperors faithfully. Jakar, and when he died, his son, who inherited him as personal property. Tamir-Daan has never had ambitions for himself, only hoping to serve his emperor wisely. However, a spirit of vengeance has never left him, and to see his prized heirlooms rot away in the vaults only brings him pain.

INDIANA

I wonder if Chelubey Khan could have participated in this war, perhaps being one of major persons contributing to Imperial victory and subsequent slaughter. It would create an interesting tension between our characters.

Postmaster of the Fleet

Democratic Socialists

Postby Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:35 pm

Ohh, I'd like that. Yeah, there would be tension, certainly.

Fuma Shogunate
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Fuma Shogunate » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:41 pm

Great Confederacy Of Commonwealth States wrote:Ohh, I'd like that. Yeah, there would be tension, certainly.

We would need to determine what exactly would be the role played by Chelubey Khan. I originally wanted him to campaign in the Southern Kingdoms and unleash slaughter so horrific that he would have started questioning weather he has chances for a happy afterlife (just as king Asoka of India did).

Especially since Chelubey, being a steppe nomad in Empire's service, would be capable of unleashing slaughter far beyond anything imaginable to an Imperial mind, considering that spoils of war are his people's main source of income... And Desiq-ça sounds about the place to acquire plenty.
Last edited by Fuma Shogunate on Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Postby Khasinkonia » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:44 pm

Zelphos wrote:
Fuma Shogunate wrote:Full Name: Chelubey Khan

Appearance:

(Image)

TRACKING PURPOSES

Beautifully done. I look forward to interacting with your character in the upcoming IC.

Khasinkonia wrote:The key word is average. Most people who lived to 21 in the Middle Ages could expect to live to at least 50 to 60, so 80 year olds in the court I wouldn’t imagine to be too outlandish.

Aye, true. I eagerly await your application.

ApplePieistan wrote:Full Name: Betty Clarke
Appearance:

Amazing, I would definitely buy her secret meatball recipe. Interesting new perspective.

Ah, still missing a majority of council positions. This may be somewhat troubling to the storyline, but can be fixed nonetheless.

As it would happen, we seem to be trapped in a time warp. The application you await you have already accepted! :p

Utceforp
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Utceforp » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:08 pm

Depending on when it happened, the sack of Desiq-ça could have been partially orchestrated by my Emperor's Fist character, being one of the events that gave him a reputation for ruthlessness.
Signatures are so 2014.

Utceforp
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Utceforp » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:21 pm

Full Name: Brennus Ribbell AKA "Lord Toad"
House (Family) Name: Ribbell
Title (if any): The Emperor's Fist, third in line to inherit Blackmark (After his older brother Magnus' son and daughter)
Appearance:

Court Role: The Emperor's Fist
Social Class: Noble
Backstory: Brennus was born the second son of Baltus Ribell, the "spare" to his elder brother Magnus' "heir".House Ribbell was an old but minor marcher family who rule the swampy, forested land of "Blackmark" in the northern territories. Brennus was less restricted in his hobbies than his brother Magnus, and he often spent time hunting or exploring the forest with the peasants of the land, who taught him the values and knowledge of the northern folk that the Vexian-influenced northern nobility had mostly forgotten. This changed when Magnus became an adult and decided to make Brennus his squire, as the two boys became inseparable friends but Magnus was not allowed to leave the castle as often as Brennus had been.

When he was twelve, Magnus and Brennus were taken by Baltus southwards to a great tournament at Bargainton hosted by the Emperor (Brandon's grandfather) and Prince Jakar. Brennus helped Magnus compete, and it was there that Brennus first met Jakar, who was squiring for his father. After the melee was concluded, the two boys snuck off into the city and played for hours in the streets, until eventually they were found by the Golden Falcon and Magnus, and chastised by Baltus for putting themselves in danger.

Baltus, however, recognized the potential advantages of having the ear of the Crown Prince, and arranged for Brennus to be fostered in Vexia as a ward of the crown. Brennus was disappointed to no longer be able to see his brother or his friends among the peasants of Blackmark, but soon came to understand and thrive in the south with the help of his new friend Prince Jakar. Brennus was never fully accepted by the other courtiers of Jakar's father, who saw him as all but an up-jumped commoner because of his family's poverty and "uncivilized" northern origins. For this he was given the derogatory nickname "Lord Toad" behind his back, referencing the Ribbell heraldic sign. (Three brown frogs on a white field.) Brennus only saw his family a few times in this period, but was always happy when his brother Magnus came to visit, and was overjoyed when he heard his sister-in-law had given birth to a twin son and daughter. It was not soon after he came of age, however, that Brennus would have to return to Blackmark.

Not long after his seventeenth birthday, Brennus received a concerning letter from the north. A confederation of northern tribes had united under the leadership of a rebel who called himself "King Twice-Hanged" and had launched a devastating invasion of Vexia's northern territories. Most of the cities had been sacked, and almost all of the keeps were besieged, including the Ribbell castle in Blackmark. The Emperor raised a force to deal with the invasion, and Brennus petitioned to lead it, citing his knowledge of the territory and its people.

Brennus lead his host north as fast as he could, but it was too late - Every village he travelled through was half-empty, the streets littered with corpses, many of whom were those he had known when he was a child. When he finally arrived at Ribbell Castle, The tribesmen had taken it, and imprisoned Brennus' father and brother. (Magnus' two children had been hidden when the war began.) The Vexians encircled the castle and demanded the surrender of the tribes. All they received in reply was two heads - those of Baltus and Magnus. Brennus retreated to his tent alone to consider what had happened, and did not emerge for the next six hours. When he finally emerged, he calmly announced that since the tribesmen had foolishly executed their only hostages, his men were to begin preparations to assault the walls. Brennus took the castle within a day and had every single tribesman put to the sword.

Magnus' 3-year-old son was installed as the new Lord of Blackmark, with Brennus as regent. Brennus spent the next five years driving out the remaining invaders and was the de facto overlord of the northern territories. Many people in those lands were sympathetic to the invaders or simply despised Vexia, and aided King Twice-Hanged by hiding him or his warriors. To counter this movement, Brennus installed an elaborate network of secret police and spies throughout the north, often torching entire villages when it became clear anti-royal sentiments were ingrained. In the end, almost every tribe that had united against Vexia was exterminated, with King Twice-Hanged ultimately being hunted down and eaten alive by Brennus' hounds after he was discovered hiding in a small village's brothel. The power of the northern tribes would be broken for almost a generation, until the Saxxars returned seeking bloody vengeance long after Brennus had left.

A few months after King Twice-Hanged was killed, Brennus was visited by a royal herald requesting he return to the south - the Emperor was dead and Jakar had taken the throne, and he wanted to see his old friend again. With the north pacified, Brennus resigned as regent of Blackmark and marched to Windstard. The reunion between now-Emperor Jakar and Lord Brennus was melancholy, however - Brennus was clearly not the man he had been when he left Windstard that fateful day five years ago. Nevertheless, Jakar was impressed with Brennus' victories in the north, and he appointed him to the position of Emperor's Fist after he was formally coronated.

Brennus since then has served thirty years as Emperor's Fist, loyally serving the interests of Emperor Jakar. He replicated the tactics he employed in the north to serve in the south, installing an unofficial secret police and a network of spies within Windstard that serve only him. He sacked more cities in the south than he ever did in the north, put down numerous plots by ambitious members of the Vixis family to crown themselves, (Mostly by disemboweling the plotter's agents and leaving their corpses in the plotter's bedchambers as a message - Not killing or arresting them ensures there are numerous heirs to the throne, and the plotters themselves deal with cleaning up the bodies to avoid being named a traitor.) and has hand-picked a personal guard of fiercely-loyal longbowmen nicknamed "The Toad's Men" to serve him. "Lord Toad" went from being an insulting nickname to a euphemism used by terrified people who believed that saying "Brennus Ribbell" would summon the man to kill them.

Probably his greatest achievement during his tenure as Emperor's Fist was the war of attrition he waged against the Karosate tribe, one of the many eastern nomadic groups who would later submit to the Khuphate. The Karosate entered Vexian territory while Emperor Jakar and the Marshal of the Royal Army were distracted by war in the south, leaving Brennus to lead the defense of the eastern territories. Brennus did this by burning down enormous swathes of Vexian forest and farmland, then cutting off the Karosate supply chain, leaving the Karosate warriors to starve. He then ambushed the Karosate horse archers with the Toad's Men, negating their superior mobility with the range of his longbows.

Brennus retained his position as Emperor's Fist when Jakar died and Brandon came to the throne. He has thus far served his friend's heir just as loyally as he served his friend.

Stewardship: 4 (1 + 3)
Intrigue: 13 (11 + 2)
Martial: 6
Diplomacy: 1
Renown: 4 (1 + 3)
Last edited by Utceforp on Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Signatures are so 2014.

Zelphos
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Zelphos » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:21 pm

Great Confederacy Of Commonwealth States wrote:Full Name: Tamir-Daan ‘Son of Jakar’
Appearance:

INDIANA

I must say, the story behind your character is rich, and definitely contributes to the overall story. Fantastic job!

Khasinkonia wrote:As it would happen, we seem to be trapped in a time warp. The application you await you have already accepted! :p

Whoops! I was stuck in Mr. Application mode, my apologies, haha.
-
I'm rather curious on the tension that'll be present between Tamir-Daan and Chelubey, especially if you two decide that the khan was the driving force behind the siege and slaughter at Desiq-ça. I look forward to seeing the plot as it develops.
-
(I'll probably give the OOC another day before typing out the IC, especially since the council spots are still for the most part vacant)

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Postby Khasinkonia » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:06 pm

Zelphos wrote:
Appearance:

INDIANA

I must say, the story behind your character is rich, and definitely contributes to the overall story. Fantastic job!

Khasinkonia wrote:As it would happen, we seem to be trapped in a time warp. The application you await you have already accepted! :p

-
I'm rather curious on the tension that'll be present between Tamir-Daan and Chelubey, especially if you two decide that the khan was the driving force behind the siege and slaughter at Desiq-ça. I look forward to seeing the plot as it develops.
-
(I'll probably give the OOC another day before typing out the IC, especially since the council spots are still for the most part vacant)

I’m just waiting for the Emperor to just happen to mention concerns over a particular person pining for the throne but lacking evidence so I can have Lady Emma just spookily appear as if to say “You called?”
And then all of a sudden the person just disappears. Mysterious disappearances might end up happening more often than some might think, with Emma’s considerable skill at organising covert assassination plots.

Erhialam
Diplomat

Founded: May 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Erhialam » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:22 pm

Khasinkonia wrote:
Zelphos wrote:

-
-

I’m just waiting for the Emperor to just happen to mention concerns over a particular person pining for the throne but lacking evidence so I can have Lady Emma just spookily appear as if to say “You called?”
And then all of a sudden the person just disappears. Mysterious disappearances might end up happening more often than some might think, with Emma’s considerable skill at organising covert assassination plots.

I'm also imagining some interesting dynamics between Emma and Samara. Ambitious new girl at court vs established, scheming courtesan? Then again, I imagine Emma is a decent person to build an alliance with.
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it." - The great Terry Pratchett

~
Erhialam is also known as Interstellar Australia. Apparently.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse