NATION

PASSWORD

It Came From P2TM/Hunter's lounge RP Group

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which RP genre, or a mix of thereof, would you like to see made?

Science fiction and similar variations of thereof/futuristic
21%
Horror
9%
Thriller
7%
Action
10%
Crime
9%
Adventure
12%
Mystery
5%
Fantasy
14%
Political
7%
Other
7%

Total votes : 58

Whittington
Senator

Founded: Nov 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Whittington » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:41 pm

Galdius wrote:For my five cents on the wittington hill RP, I propose a couple of changes to the setting and core plot.

Setting wise, I think it should be set somewhere in one of the north eastern states, perhaps Maryland or pennsylvania (A good distance away from a major city but not far enough to restrict people from being able to go their to work.) and during a particularly coldish winter. The core concept would stay the same, a fancy self sustaining gated community (Even has its own "security unit") were something is clearly not right to the new residents. although a few new locations should be thrown into the blender, my ideas being a beautiful Forrest with a fairly large lake bordering on the community which is popularly with hikers and campers but has a high disappearance rate (Which is often just accepted due to the sheer size of the place, "Suprisingly") and a medium sized former mining town within a mile, close enough for them to get supplies and whatnot, although the town has a large income gap between residents due both the influx of people flocking to the suburbs and the recent closures of the mines, due to them no longer being profitable (Or is it due to something else?) leaving a lot of people out of work. The older residents town is more than aware of whats going on up in whittington but for reasons yet to be thought up but are generally silent about it (Until they start doing home invasions trying to kill our cast that is.)

And for the plot wise, I'm thinking lots of skinwalkers (Not the native American folklore, check the link for more details.) and less Cthulhu type demons (Still there ofc) being involved, with the gated community being a the primary spot of the "Infestation." (Most of residents are ether "infected" or are in on it, a few however are not, wither being blissfully unaware or somewhat/fully aware of whats going on, but find themselves unable to leave.) The story would essentially then pick off at the exact same way whittington hills started. With a few twists involving our new locations.
A little chaotic, but unfortunately I sent most of this to jess on skype, so I'm compiling what I said from memory.

If the location shit is all good, I've dive more indepth about it tomorrow.

As for the RP itself, I think being subtle is key for the first and second act, having it purely psychological horror based, basically chipping away from the characters sanity before having it blow up in the final act.

Yes, all of this ^^^

Having the vast forest that borders the gilded community will really add to the feeling of mystery for the new residents.

Also, I think it would be good to keep the security force instead of having outside law enforcement be involved. That way, the secrets of the community are well guarded and enforced by your friendly/sketchy security guards. It would be easy for them to keep an eye on the new residents and trouble makers.

I like the idea of the mining town nearby. One thing though, there was something I wasn't happy about when I started Whittington Hills. When we started it off, everybody who was involved was a new resident on the same street. Everybody moved in on the same day. That doesn't happen in real life. Like ever. It's like when you see one of the car dealership commercials, everybody is happily walking along, looking/test driving/buying cars. However in real life, they're always almost empty, save for the flock of salesmen.

So here are some questions

1. Will people be allowed to play as people in the mining town?
2. How will the influx of new residents in the gated community be explained?
3. Will somebody (not me) make a map of the community?
4. Will this be set in modern times?
" People Sleep Peacefully in Their Beds at Night Only Because Rough Men Stand Ready to Do Violence on Their Behalf"

Pro-Gay Marriage, Pro-Gun, Pro-Freedom, Pro-Capitalism, Pro-Military, Pro Law Enforcement, Patriot. AMERICAN

Mincaldenteans
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Mincaldenteans » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:44 pm

Are the questions open ended for anyone or aimed at Gald and Jess? :P

Whittington
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Whittington » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:54 pm

Mincaldenteans wrote:Are the questions open ended for anyone or aimed at Gald and Jess? :P

Anybody :)

I don;t mind RP's being set in modern times, but I'm a sucker for the 50's and 60's.

That being said, I think it being set in the 1950's/1960's would make it much better. Reason being, the lack of modern tech/weapons/etc would make it hard to fight off whatever goes bump in the night.

But then again, I know not everybody likes to RP in the good ol' days, so I'll be happy either way. I'm just happy that a new RP based off/inspired by Whittington Hills is a possibility. I really loved it and always wanted to see what it was capable of.
" People Sleep Peacefully in Their Beds at Night Only Because Rough Men Stand Ready to Do Violence on Their Behalf"

Pro-Gay Marriage, Pro-Gun, Pro-Freedom, Pro-Capitalism, Pro-Military, Pro Law Enforcement, Patriot. AMERICAN

Galdius
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Galdius » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:07 pm

Whittington wrote:
Galdius wrote:For my five cents on the wittington hill RP, I propose a couple of changes to the setting and core plot.

Setting wise, I think it should be set somewhere in one of the north eastern states, perhaps Maryland or pennsylvania (A good distance away from a major city but not far enough to restrict people from being able to go their to work.) and during a particularly coldish winter. The core concept would stay the same, a fancy self sustaining gated community (Even has its own "security unit") were something is clearly not right to the new residents. although a few new locations should be thrown into the blender, my ideas being a beautiful Forrest with a fairly large lake bordering on the community which is popularly with hikers and campers but has a high disappearance rate (Which is often just accepted due to the sheer size of the place, "Suprisingly") and a medium sized former mining town within a mile, close enough for them to get supplies and whatnot, although the town has a large income gap between residents due both the influx of people flocking to the suburbs and the recent closures of the mines, due to them no longer being profitable (Or is it due to something else?) leaving a lot of people out of work. The older residents town is more than aware of whats going on up in whittington but for reasons yet to be thought up but are generally silent about it (Until they start doing home invasions trying to kill our cast that is.)

And for the plot wise, I'm thinking lots of skinwalkers (Not the native American folklore, check the link for more details.) and less Cthulhu type demons (Still there ofc) being involved, with the gated community being a the primary spot of the "Infestation." (Most of residents are ether "infected" or are in on it, a few however are not, wither being blissfully unaware or somewhat/fully aware of whats going on, but find themselves unable to leave.) The story would essentially then pick off at the exact same way whittington hills started. With a few twists involving our new locations.
A little chaotic, but unfortunately I sent most of this to jess on skype, so I'm compiling what I said from memory.

If the location shit is all good, I've dive more indepth about it tomorrow.

As for the RP itself, I think being subtle is key for the first and second act, having it purely psychological horror based, basically chipping away from the characters sanity before having it blow up in the final act.

Yes, all of this ^^^

Having the vast forest that borders the gilded community will really add to the feeling of mystery for the new residents.

Also, I think it would be good to keep the security force instead of having outside law enforcement be involved. That way, the secrets of the community are well guarded and enforced by your friendly/sketchy security guards. It would be easy for them to keep an eye on the new residents and trouble makers.

I like the idea of the mining town nearby. One thing though, there was something I wasn't happy about when I started Whittington Hills. When we started it off, everybody who was involved was a new resident on the same street. Everybody moved in on the same day. That doesn't happen in real life. Like ever. It's like when you see one of the car dealership commercials, everybody is happily walking along, looking/test driving/buying cars. However in real life, they're always almost empty, save for the flock of salesmen.

1) to start off, I'd say no but as people start to inevitably drop out, I'd say people would be able to join in as a character from said mining town, perhaps investigators or whatever.

2) The influx could be explained in one of two ways, 1: an extension has been made into the community, essentially allowing more modern homes to appear in the neighborhood, as the majority of the homes are 1920's -1950 era housing. And everyone doesn't necessarily need to move in on the same day, we could easily space it out over a days, saying it had something to do with regulations within the community set by the council or some shit. 2: alternately, a "Tragic" Shooting could have happened within the community, resulting in a a lot of the homes ending up free and grabbed quickly within a short amount of time due to the popularity of the area (The Forrest and such.) This would also explain the "community police" over the local sheriff unit.

3)Sure someone would do it for you, but not me.

4)I'd prefer modern times
Ave Alea Necis

Life's but a walking shadow. Honor. Love. Friends. But in there's death. Curses.

Mincaldenteans
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Mincaldenteans » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:05 pm

Whittington wrote:Having the vast forest that borders the gilded community will really add to the feeling of mystery for the new residents.

1. Community
So private security force so we won't need to rely law enforcement, which isolates the community (I like heh)
A mining town that is (presumably) nearby to the main RP's residential area, or is it a mining community, or a mix or both?

2. Influx/New Residents
Maybe a mix of both, we'd have to have chars that are already old residents, which would entail some back story or at least 'prior' knowledge of the community's spookiness (and blatant actions of 'ignoring' events that are questionable. i.e. "it never happened!" and "I don't know what you're talking about!" :lol: )

3. Map
I could help, but um.... MS Paint is my friend :P

4. Time period
Like Galdius, I prefer modern but eh, I can roll with it.

My question: are players willing to kill off their characters? Everyone likes to be a survivor, so that question hangs along with how many characters are we allowed to have?

Jessjohnesik
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Jessjohnesik » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:40 pm

1) not as people who know of the shit that's happening, at least I don't think its a very good idea unless the same problems will arise as with The Rising regarding the villains

2) Gald's idea, or smthn else. In any case I suppose it can be rather easily explained

3) min wants to

4) I'm for modern times. If anything, should technology stop working all of a sudden coz of 'difficulties', it'll make it more creepier for the characters. Me thinks.

Extra Min's question: what bothers every RP that can involve death IMO, but since it's horror, someone's going to get killed off and sometimes might not be happy about it(remember Altorus :p )
ಠ_ಠ Proud owner of the Mystery Genre RPer award 2014!!
Pro: Science, environmentalism, equal rights, const. monarchy, mixed economy, Scientocracy, abortion, Western Europe, NZ, Japan, Australia, Nordic countries, SKorea, EU, immigration control, Merkel, Buddhism, Israel, centrism, eurofederalism, GMOs, soft euroscepticism
Against: Biophobia, social Conservatism, excessive militarism/pacifism, hedonism, totalitarianism, anarchism, fascism, communism, feminism SJWs/BLM, corruption, Islam, Christianity, Palestine, nazism, Russia, Arab League, Saudi Arabia, Greece, traditionalism, moralism, UKIP, uncontrolled immigration
Political Graph

I wonder if you're the worst person I've ever met; at a certain age it's hard to recall... ~ Olenna to Cersei,Game of Thrones

Altito Asmoro
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Altito Asmoro » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:42 pm

Whittington wrote:
Mincaldenteans wrote:Are the questions open ended for anyone or aimed at Gald and Jess? :P

I don;t mind RP's being set in modern times, but I'm a sucker for the 50's and 60's.

That being said, I think it being set in the 1950's/1960's would make it much better. Reason being, the lack of modern tech/weapons/etc would make it hard to fight off whatever goes bump in the night.

But then again, I know not everybody likes to RP in the good ol' days, so I'll be happy either way. I'm just happy that a new RP based off/inspired by Whittington Hills is a possibility. I really loved it and always wanted to see what it was capable of.

Or for the setting to be modern and hard, it could be placed on nation that is not America, or the nation that has strict gun laws (America can own weapons, but Europeans can't mostly because of laws). Guns in America is possible if you are civilians. In Europe? You can, but it's rare.

And modern's technology have wider option. There's internet, phone, walkie talkie. At 50s? Internet is non-existant (if it's exist, its for military-use only), no individual phones (I think).
Stormwrath wrote:
Altito Asmoro wrote:You people can call me...AA. Or Alt.
Or Tito.

I'm calling you "non-aligned comrade."

A proud Nationalist
Winner for Best War RP of 2016

Jessjohnesik
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Jessjohnesik » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:46 pm

Altito Asmoro wrote:
Whittington wrote:

Or for the setting to be modern and hard, it could be placed on nation that is not America, or the nation that has strict gun laws (America can own weapons, but Europeans can't mostly because of laws). Guns in America is possible if you are civilians. In Europe? You can, but it's rare.

And modern's technology have wider option. There's internet, phone, walkie talkie. At 50s? Internet is non-existant (if it's exist, its for military-use only), no individual phones (I think).

You see, AA, problem is that everyone will probs want the setting in US, except me, you and maybe James. We're outnumbered. :p
Pro: Science, environmentalism, equal rights, const. monarchy, mixed economy, Scientocracy, abortion, Western Europe, NZ, Japan, Australia, Nordic countries, SKorea, EU, immigration control, Merkel, Buddhism, Israel, centrism, eurofederalism, GMOs, soft euroscepticism
Against: Biophobia, social Conservatism, excessive militarism/pacifism, hedonism, totalitarianism, anarchism, fascism, communism, feminism SJWs/BLM, corruption, Islam, Christianity, Palestine, nazism, Russia, Arab League, Saudi Arabia, Greece, traditionalism, moralism, UKIP, uncontrolled immigration
Political Graph

I wonder if you're the worst person I've ever met; at a certain age it's hard to recall... ~ Olenna to Cersei,Game of Thrones

Altito Asmoro
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Altito Asmoro » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:49 pm

Jessjohnesik wrote:
Altito Asmoro wrote:

You see, AA, problem is that everyone will probs want the setting in US, except me, you and maybe James. We're outnumbered. :p

Me? I just follow the flow.

James? He's a Dutch, he's supposed to supported his former colony here.

You? You're Russian. And has former colony which is Alaska.
Stormwrath wrote:
Or Tito.

A proud Nationalist

Chedastan
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 25, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Chedastan » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:54 pm

I don't know if this would be too outlandish, but what about having the setting be in a different reality or realm entirely? Too much? :P
Last edited by Chedastan on Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.

Whittington
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Whittington » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:54 pm

Jessjohnesik wrote:
Altito Asmoro wrote:

We can vote to make it fair. Though I'm sure the US will win cause you know we're the cool kid

As for everyone's idea's
1/2. I like Gald's idea of the characters coming in as new residents.

3.Modern times would be more appropriate.

4. Min, make that MS Paint your bitch.

Altito Asmoro
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Altito Asmoro » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:55 pm

Chedastan wrote:I don't know if this would be too outlandish, but what about having the setting be in a different reality or realm entirely? To much? :P

Realm? Where werewolves and vampires exist, for example?
Stormwrath wrote:
Or Tito.

A proud Nationalist

Whittington
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Whittington » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:56 pm

Super off topic

BUT

Did anybody's else little tool window (whatever you wanna call it) on the left just drastically change?!

I don't like it. Not one bit. :eyebrow:

Lancearc
Post Marshal

Founded: May 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lancearc » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:56 pm

Chedastan wrote:I don't know if this would be too outlandish, but what about having the setting be in a different reality or realm entirely? Too much? :P

Ched wants it to be set in the Shivering Isles :3

*goes back to lurking*
If you ever need advice on writing, help creating an RP of your own, or just generally need any kind of help, feel free to TG! I've been around the block in my old age.

Member of The Council of the Multiverse community. Click me to find out more!

Check out The Living Waste of Mekhallah, an original low-fantasy setting.

Chedastan
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 25, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Chedastan » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:58 pm

Whittington wrote:Super off topic

BUT

Did anybody's else little tool window (whatever you wanna call it) on the left just drastically change?!

Just go to settings and change the theme. That's what I did.

Lancearc wrote:
Chedastan wrote:I don't know if this would be too outlandish, but what about having the setting be in a different reality or realm entirely? Too much? :P

Ched wants it to be set in the Shivering Isles :3

*goes back to lurking*

Oh look a wild Lance. :P
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.

Jessjohnesik
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Jessjohnesik » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:45 am

Btw, Lunas Region has joined the RP group.
Political Graph

Altito Asmoro
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Altito Asmoro » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:02 am

Whittington wrote:Super off topic

BUT

You can change it in the setting.
Stormwrath wrote:
Or Tito.

A proud Nationalist

Galdius
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Galdius » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:41 am

For all y'all worrying about tech and firearms, it think it's a good thing to allow them in the RP, it puts the characters in a false sense of security when the shit starts hitting the fan, and it'll break then down even more when they realise that it's mostly ineffective (I.e guns don't kill them fast enough, local police aren't going to intervene because they know what the fuck is going on and want to see their kids again type of scenario etc.) And it'll draw out the gunho Rambo characters to be massacred brutally, leaving the group in a worse state.
Ave Alea Necis

Life's but a walking shadow. Honor. Love. Friends. But in there's death. Curses.

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 20, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:48 am

Galdius wrote:For all y'all worrying about tech and firearms, it think it's a good thing to allow them in the RP, it puts the characters in a false sense of security when the shit starts hitting the fan, and it'll break then down even more when they realise that it's mostly ineffective (I.e guns don't kill them fast enough, local police aren't going to intervene because they know what the fuck is going on and want to see their kids again type of scenario etc.) And it'll draw out the gunho Rambo characters to be massacred brutally, leaving the group in a worse state.

No brute force helps. I like that. The gun is not the solution.
The name's James. James Usari. Well, my name is not actually James Usari, so don't bother actually looking it up, but it'll do for now.
Lack of a real name means compensation through a real face. My debt is settled
Part-time Kebab tycoon in Glasgow.

Altito Asmoro
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Altito Asmoro » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:56 am

Great Confederacy Of Commonwealth States wrote:
Galdius wrote:For all y'all worrying about tech and firearms, it think it's a good thing to allow them in the RP, it puts the characters in a false sense of security when the shit starts hitting the fan, and it'll break then down even more when they realise that it's mostly ineffective (I.e guns don't kill them fast enough, local police aren't going to intervene because they know what the fuck is going on and want to see their kids again type of scenario etc.) And it'll draw out the gunho Rambo characters to be massacred brutally, leaving the group in a worse state.

No brute force helps. I like that. The gun is not the solution.

The solution is ultimate destruction.
Stormwrath wrote:
Or Tito.

A proud Nationalist

Galdius
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Galdius » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:36 am

Altito Asmoro wrote:
Great Confederacy Of Commonwealth States wrote:No brute force helps. I like that. The gun is not the solution.

Well, it doesn't have to be total destruction, one or two shotgun blasts or a magazine dump to the creatures head would do the trick imo, but the chances of a person scoring headshots after headshots on creatures that are almost as fast but also stronger than they are is impossible.
Ave Alea Necis

Altito Asmoro
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Altito Asmoro » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:48 am

Galdius wrote:
Altito Asmoro wrote:

Well, it doesn't have to be total destruction, one or two shotgun blasts or a magazine dump to the creatures head would do the trick imo, but the chances of a person scoring headshots after headshots on creatures that are almost as fast but also stronger than they are is impossible.

Almost as fast and stronger?

We're facing fleshgait, right?
Stormwrath wrote:
Or Tito.

A proud Nationalist

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 20, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:49 am

Galdius wrote:
Altito Asmoro wrote:

Swords are my answer! To arms!
The name's James. James Usari. Well, my name is not actually James Usari, so don't bother actually looking it up, but it'll do for now.
Lack of a real name means compensation through a real face. My debt is settled
Part-time Kebab tycoon in Glasgow.

Altito Asmoro
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Altito Asmoro » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:51 am

Great Confederacy Of Commonwealth States wrote:
Galdius wrote:Well, it doesn't have to be total destruction, one or two shotgun blasts or a magazine dump to the creatures head would do the trick imo, but the chances of a person scoring headshots after headshots on creatures that are almost as fast but also stronger than they are is impossible.

Swords are my answer! To arms!

So you will rush to them and swinging your swords?

Let's open another grave for you, in case you die. :p
Stormwrath wrote:
Or Tito.

A proud Nationalist

Whittington
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Whittington » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:58 am

Altito Asmoro wrote:
Great Confederacy Of Commonwealth States wrote:Swords are my answer! To arms!

So you will rush to them and swinging your swords?

Let's open another grave for you, in case you die. :p

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse