NATION

PASSWORD

2nd Annual Best of P2TM Awards (Voting Thread)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:09 pm

Isle of Lithonia wrote:
Nationstatelandsville wrote:Maybe they could be rolled into one general character category with posts as backing?

There was really just a lack of nominations.

^This.

I would have voted had I known any of the characters.

And it's a pity, because I really think individual bits of writing and ideas ought to be recognized; but I don't know if, necessarily, awards are the right method.

I don't think these awards are, in general, a terribly effective system - but that's a quibble for another day.
"Then I was fertilized and grew wise;
From a word to a word I was led to a word,
From a work to a work I was led to a work."
- Odin, Hávamál 138-141, the Poetic Edda, as translated by Dan McCoy.

I enjoy meta-humor and self-deprecation. Annoying, right?

Goodbye.

Isle of Lithonia
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 20, 2013
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Isle of Lithonia » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:16 pm

Nationstatelandsville wrote:And it's a pity, because I really think individual bits of writing and ideas ought to be recognized; but I don't know if, necessarily, awards are the right method.

I don't think these awards are, in general, a terribly effective system - but that's a quibble for another day.

Dunno.

As for the awards being even a good system, they at the very least work as bragging rights. But still, I think it could give both authors and RPs more legitimacy if they win an award, at least among certain RPers.
A she/her who misses being creative.
I like sticks. Peck pick.
My Fanny Pack is Fanny Packtastic!!!

The Templar High Council
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 27, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Templar High Council » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:22 pm

Darn. Ended up losing Most Involved to Esty.

Granted, he has been areound/done more than I. So I feel glad to be nominated.
They call me Temp. If I take too long to respond, just TG me. Or TG me whenever, I'm online 90% of the time.
Anime God of P2TM, Last of Lithianity, Bro to All, & P2TM's Villain in Glasses. Kacheen!
2014 P2TM Lifetime Achievement Award Winner. During my first year on NS. Go figure.
And 2015 Most Involved in P2TM? On a roll now!
----->Founder of The Council of the Multiverse community.<-----

Isle of Lithonia
Negotiator

Postby Isle of Lithonia » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:27 pm

The Templar High Council wrote:Darn. Ended up losing Most Involved to Esty.

If I counted properly (my brain is fucked right now, so I don't know), Nat-not-Spi and I are tied for best Other Fantasy RPer. Either that or he won by a point.

God, I need a Rockstar...

Anyway, TKaG did pretty well, all things considered. I am quite pleased. :)

The Armed Republic of Dutch Coolness
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Armed Republic of Dutch Coolness » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:28 pm

I got nominated in one catagory, and got two (?) votes for one of my RPs. I'm satisfied :P
P2TM Mentor
TG me!
Discord available on request as well
Or join the Mentor Discord server!

Such a cool time I select, looking out my window, and that's that

The worlding of the words is AMARANTH.

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:38 pm

Isle of Lithonia wrote:

If I counted properly (my brain is fucked right now, so I don't know), Nat-not-Spi and I are tied for best Other Fantasy RPer. Either that or he won by a point.

I'm counting us tied at 4, with Skaldia pulling up just behind with 3.

Goodbye.

Nature-Spirits
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nature-Spirits » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:45 pm

Nationstatelandsville wrote:
Isle of Lithonia wrote:^This.

I would have voted had I known any of the characters.

And it's a pity, because I really think individual bits of writing and ideas ought to be recognized; but I don't know if, necessarily, awards are the right method.

Regarding recognising high quality posts: I think that maybe the Exceptional Posts thread is good enough. There really weren't enough nominations in either the post or character categories to really make those awards completely valid, IMO. I would vote to have the character and post categories pulled in the next edition.

I also agree that the awards aren't very effective; a general lack of advertising (though I wouldn't say that the blame for that falls on anyone; there aren't many good ways to advertise in this forum, which complicates the entire matter) combined with the (related) fact that not a lot of people submitted nominations nor votes means that it wasn't really representative of the entire community. It's mostly been people who've been around here for a while and/or are at least somewhat involved in P2TM affairs who were nominated and voted; I doubt a lot of people in other circles are even aware that these awards exist. Granted, the people who've been here longer/are a bit more involved in the community tend to be better RPers overall (though I'm certain that there are exceptions to this rule), but it would be nice to see more people coming out to vote.

But you're right; this isn't necessarily the time nor the place to deal with that issue. It should be addressed, though.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM Translation Service Thread
A Proud Portal Nationalist
The P2TM Depot – for all your RPing needs

Cosplaying as a Posadist | LOVEWHOYOUARE~ | Kinky Syndicalist

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:51 pm

Another thought; while I recognize that the Lifetime Achievement and Most Involved Awards carry different connotations, there seems to be a not-insignificant overlap between their realms and subsequently confusion in the votes - to the extent that I think harms the competition. So I propose we just rule them together next time.

Goodbye.

Rob Halfordia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 18, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Rob Halfordia » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:54 pm

Isle of Lithonia wrote:

Like, the energy drink? Gross...
Making Dragon Ball Z Overpowered Since the Founding of Infinite Justice

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:00 pm

Isle of Lithonia wrote:If I counted properly (my brain is fucked right now, so I don't know), Nat-not-Spi and I are tied for best Other Fantasy RPer. Either that or he won by a point.

I'm counting us tied at 4, with Skaldia pulling up just behind with 3.

Can you say runoff?
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009

Postby Esternial » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:03 pm

Astrolinium wrote:One thing I can already tell you all is this: I seriously doubt that the individual character and post categories will be returning in the next edition of these awards.

Once I have spare time I'll be working on something that may complement that. You can decide next year whether to keep those categories depending on how that fares.

Nationstatelandsville wrote:Another thought; while I recognize that the Lifetime Achievement and Most Involved Awards carry different connotations, there seems to be a not-insignificant overlap between their realms and subsequently confusion in the votes - to the extent that I think harms the competition. So I propose we just rule them together next time.

I think "lifetime achievement" is a fairly ambiguous category, hailing from the NSG Poster's awards. I personally don't see a need for the category, but that's just my own take on it.

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:06 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:
Nationstatelandsville wrote:I'm counting us tied at 4, with Skaldia pulling up just behind with 3.

Can you say runoff?

I was thinking "trial by combat", but I'm fine with either.

Or just a tie; I think that's how we called these things last year.

Esternial wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:One thing I can already tell you all is this: I seriously doubt that the individual character and post categories will be returning in the next edition of these awards.

Once I have spare time I'll be working on something that may complement that. You can decide next year whether to keep those categories depending on how that fares.

Nationstatelandsville wrote:Another thought; while I recognize that the Lifetime Achievement and Most Involved Awards carry different connotations, there seems to be a not-insignificant overlap between their realms and subsequently confusion in the votes - to the extent that I think harms the competition. So I propose we just rule them together next time.

I think "lifetime achievement" is a fairly ambiguous category, hailing from the NSG Poster's awards. I personally don't see a need for the category, but that's just my own take on it.

Just looking at it, though; really, votes seemed to fluctuate between you and Khan for the most part in either category, and it seems to me that no one could decide who got which - which divides the votes for you two in either, and might, where the consensus meant to award one to both, grant both to one.

But that's just what I got from comparing the first page to my own vote.

Goodbye.

Isle of Lithonia
Negotiator

Postby Isle of Lithonia » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:02 pm

Nationstatelandsville wrote:I was thinking "trial by combat", but I'm fine with either.

I'd say just tie it. I'm rather loathe to hold another vote, since I doubt most people would actually take the time to throw in their votes again, making it even less representative the next time. But that's just my opinion.

Rob Halfordia wrote:Like, the energy drink? Gross...

I could say it is better to drink that then get wasted on beer or pot... But that would be rude. :p

Nature-Spirits wrote:Regarding recognising high quality posts: I think that maybe the Exceptional Posts thread is good enough. There really weren't enough nominations in either the post or character categories to really make those awards completely valid, IMO. I would vote to have the character and post categories pulled in the next edition.

I also agree that the awards aren't very effective; a general lack of advertising (though I wouldn't say that the blame for that falls on anyone; there aren't many good ways to advertise in this forum, which complicates the entire matter) combined with the (related) fact that not a lot of people submitted nominations nor votes means that it wasn't really representative of the entire community. It's mostly been people who've been around here for a while and/or are at least somewhat involved in P2TM affairs who were nominated and voted; I doubt a lot of people in other circles are even aware that these awards exist. Granted, the people who've been here longer/are a bit more involved in the community tend to be better RPers overall (though I'm certain that there are exceptions to this rule), but it would be nice to see more people coming out to vote.

But you're right; this isn't necessarily the time nor the place to deal with that issue. It should be addressed, though.

I agree we should pull the Character and Post categories. Unless you actually were a part of those specific RPs, most people won't have any clue as to how they should vote. Like Nat said, the Exceptional Posts thread is good enough for now.

It is also difficult to advertise the awards. However, even if we did advertise better, I doubt many people would still vote. As Nat pointed out, its really only those who are actually involved in P2TM that take the time to vote, and most people just aren't willing to get involved. So, if you want to boost voting, then we should try and boost involvement in P2TM affairs. But how we can do that is beyond my tired mind at this point.

Nature-Spirits
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nature-Spirits » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:21 pm

Esternial wrote:I think "lifetime achievement" is a fairly ambiguous category, hailing from the NSG Poster's awards. I personally don't see a need for the category, but that's just my own take on it.

Just looking at it, though; really, votes seemed to fluctuate between you and Khan for the most part in either category, and it seems to me that no one could decide who got which - which divides the votes for you two in either, and might, where the consensus meant to award one to both, grant both to one.

But that's just what I got from comparing the first page to my own vote.

No, I got the same impression. I think that the two awards could be folded into one.

Isle of Lithonia wrote:
Nationstatelandsville wrote:I was thinking "trial by combat", but I'm fine with either.

I'd say just tie it. I'm rather loathe to hold another vote, since I doubt most people would actually take the time to throw in their votes again, making it even less representative the next time. But that's just my opinion.

I think that a tie would be the best solution.

Isle of Lithonia wrote:
Nature-Spirits wrote:Regarding recognising high quality posts: I think that maybe the Exceptional Posts thread is good enough. There really weren't enough nominations in either the post or character categories to really make those awards completely valid, IMO. I would vote to have the character and post categories pulled in the next edition.

I agree we should pull the Character and Post categories. Unless you actually were a part of those specific RPs, most people won't have any clue as to how they should vote. Like Nat said, the Exceptional Posts thread is good enough for now.

It is also difficult to advertise the awards. However, even if we did advertise better, I doubt many people would still vote. As Nat pointed out, its really only those who are actually involved in P2TM that take the time to vote, and most people just aren't willing to get involved. So, if you want to boost voting, then we should try and boost involvement in P2TM affairs. But how we can do that is beyond my tired mind at this point.

You mean me, not other Nat, right?

Whatever the case, I agree that the number of people voting would likely increase if more people got involved in P2TM. Larger community involvement may also help those seeking to improve their RPing skills to do so, as they would likely be exposed to better quality RPing if they knew more people.

Speaking of which, I hope that the planning for the training RP is going well. That's not the topic of this thread, though, so I'll stop here.
Last edited by Nature-Spirits on Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:24 pm

Heh, yeah, the training RP. We can talk about that in the Cafe, but long story short, there just wasn't interest.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Nature-Spirits
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nature-Spirits » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:37 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:Heh, yeah, the training RP. We can talk about that in the Cafe, but long story short, there just wasn't interest.

That's too bad. If the project were to be revived at some point, though, I'd be more than willing to help out.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:35 pm

Esternial wrote:

The idea is that Lifetime Achievement is an award that becomes more effective in, say, five years from now, when there's maybe a desire to recognize someone who contributed a lot to the way the forum is at that time but isn't necessarily involved at a large level anymore, whereas Most Involved would be given to someone who did a lot for the forum in that specific year. Also, assuming that I'm running them again -- which is an assumption I'm working under as a general rule -- once someone has won a Lifetime Achievement Award, they would be disqualified from winning it again.
The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium
Ilia Franchisco Attore, King Attorio Maldive III
North Carolina | NSIndex Page | Embassies
Pop: 3,082 | Tech: MT | DEFCON: 5-4-3-2-1
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
About Me: Ravenclaw, Gay, Cis Male, 5’4”.
"Don't you forget about me."

Ex-Delegate of Ankh Mauta | NSG Sodomy Club
Minor Acolyte of the Vast Jewlluminati Conspiracy™

Alleniana
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 23, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Alleniana » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:04 pm

I recall there was a similar-ish sort of sentiment last time round, as well. The post and character sections aren't really ever going to get what's needed, since there's just too many possible nominees spread out too far.

(also, the character section is biased towards RPs with characters, but that's just me :P )

For advertising, I'd go so far as it say it's the insularity of this community. The people who frequent the Cafe and the Restaurant are a fairly small minority of the forum (which is to be expected) but it's not simply those who want to get involved; it has its own community, really not representative of the whole of the P2TM. I mean, it's a great thing going on there, but it's not nearly properly representative of the entire forum, for one reason or another; going onto any of the RP group threads scattered around makes it quite clear. It's necessary to get the thread beyond an audience of those who hang around the Stickies.

For Lifetime vs Most Involved, yeah, I feel as if it is indeed mostly because the P2TM has barely been old enough to see 2 awards threads. While I'm not sure about making Lifetime only winnable once, I think it's a good idea to keep them for future awards, even if the overlap was significant this time around.

The Republic of Atria
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 12, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby The Republic of Atria » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:16 pm

Alleniana wrote:I recall there was a similar-ish sort of sentiment last time round, as well. The post and character sections aren't really ever going to get what's needed, since there's just too many possible nominees spread out too far.

(also, the character section is biased towards RPs with characters, but that's just me :P )

For advertising, I'd go so far as it say it's the insularity of this community. The people who frequent the Cafe and the Restaurant are a fairly small minority of the forum (which is to be expected) but it's not simply those who want to get involved; it has its own community, really not representative of the whole of the P2TM. I mean, it's a great thing going on there, but it's not nearly properly representative of the entire forum, for one reason or another; going onto any of the RP group threads scattered around makes it quite clear. It's necessary to get the thread beyond an audience of those who hang around the Stickies.

For Lifetime vs Most Involved, yeah, I feel as if it is indeed mostly because the P2TM has barely been old enough to see 2 awards threads. While I'm not sure about making Lifetime only winnable once, I think it's a good idea to keep them for future awards, even if the overlap was significant this time around.

Considering 3 out of the 4 choices for characters are all from the same RP, even though it's my RP, I'm inclined to agree.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:35 pm

The votes have officially been tallied; I will make up the awards post(s) tonight and post it/them tomorrow.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Alleniana
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 23, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Alleniana » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:37 pm

Astrolinium wrote:The votes have officially been tallied; I will make up the awards post(s) tonight and post it/them tomorrow.

tha suspens

By tomorrow, you would mean by EST, right?

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:41 pm

Alleniana wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:The votes have officially been tallied; I will make up the awards post(s) tonight and post it/them tomorrow.

tha suspens

By tomorrow, you would mean by EST, right?

Yes, but it's not happening at midnight. It'll likely be firmly tomorrow in most places when I do post.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:53 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
Esternial wrote:Once I have spare time I'll be working on something that may complement that. You can decide next year whether to keep those categories depending on how that fares.

The idea is that Lifetime Achievement is an award that becomes more effective in, say, five years from now, when there's maybe a desire to recognize someone who contributed a lot to the way the forum is at that time but isn't necessarily involved at a large level anymore, whereas Most Involved would be given to someone who did a lot for the forum in that specific year. Also, assuming that I'm running them again -- which is an assumption I'm working under as a general rule -- once someone has won a Lifetime Achievement Award, they would be disqualified from winning it again.

It makes more sense, then, to introduce them five years from now.

Goodbye.

Escalan Corps-Star Island
Senator

Founded: May 07, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Escalan Corps-Star Island » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:54 pm

Astrolinium wrote:

It makes more sense, then, to introduce them five years from now.

By which point the recipients are old and decrepit. . . :D

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:56 pm

Escalan Corps-Star Island wrote:
Nationstatelandsville wrote:It makes more sense, then, to introduce them five years from now.

By which point the recipients are old and decrepit. . . :D

To be fair, Khan started that way and Esty is Belgian - it's only a matter of time before the concentrated waffle overloads his heart.

Goodbye.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse