NATION

PASSWORD

Antediluvian Secrets (official POC worldbuilding thread)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

How should we start the IC?

The platoon has just been formed, people don't know each other.
26%
The platoon is deployed so there's some burgeoning camaraderie, but mostly among those who are already friends from the home front.
63%
We've seen combat together: everybody knows everybody.
12%

Total votes : 43

The Carlisle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Carlisle » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:58 pm

Toishima wrote:
Palonitr and Howland wrote:BLIMPS! BLIMPS! BLIMPS! BLIMPS!!! BLIMPS!!!!!

In non cult like notions, I have researched that we would have to take our assault blimps inspirations from fictional sources rather than real life equivilents as I say that real life war zeppelins would not fit our dear crazy made up world of Soil.

Welp, I have to go buy food for an ungrateful 12 year old now. Be right back.

I hate children too...

Anyways, assault blimps sound cool. Would there also be transport blimps decked out in armor.
Call me Carly
Gayism enabler
Trans Girl
Radical Anti-Radical Feminist Feminist
S.W.I.F: Sex Worker Inclusionary Feminist.

Palonitr and Howland
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Palonitr and Howland » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:00 pm

The Carlisle wrote:
Toishima wrote:Image

I hate children too...

Anyways, assault blimps sound cool. Would there also be transport blimps decked out in armor.

I imagine there would be. Wanna jump onto the blimp wagon?

Palonitr and Howland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Palonitr and Howland » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:02 pm

The Carlisle wrote:
Toishima wrote:Image

I hate children too...

And I hate kids as well. I gotta cook for two of the runts while they complain about how they arent treated fairly and about their chores.

The Carlisle
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Carlisle » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:05 pm

Palonitr and Howland wrote:
The Carlisle wrote:I hate children too...

I imagine there would be. Wanna jump onto the blimp wagon?

Gladly. Now what would a blimp wagon look like? Wait, that could be the nickname of the transport blimps.

Also, pretty unfortunate. They get better as they age. Trust me.
Call me Carly
Gayism enabler
Trans Girl

Palonitr and Howland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Palonitr and Howland » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:12 pm

The Carlisle wrote:
Palonitr and Howland wrote:I imagine there would be. Wanna jump onto the blimp wagon?

Gladly. Now what would a blimp wagon look like? Wait, that could be the nickname of the transport blimps.

Yes indeed we can the transport blimps as The Blimpwagons. I lean towards a more steampunk like blimp design rather than conventional ones.

And I'm not even their parents. I'm just the responsible eldest brother.

The Carlisle
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Carlisle » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:28 pm

The Carlisle wrote:Gladly. Now what would a blimp wagon look like? Wait, that could be the nickname of the transport blimps.

Yes indeed we can the transport blimps as The Blimpwagons. I lean towards a more steampunk like blimp design rather than conventional ones.

Hmm... I guess I could look for steampunky designs. Though I would think they would be more... clean and streamlined in this RP.

Big sister here. Parent's took the caring role, so I never got the chance. Furthest I got was babysitting, and that was basially "make sure they aren't dead when we get back"
Call me Carly
Gayism enabler
Trans Girl

Nature-Spirits
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nature-Spirits » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:32 pm

The Carlisle wrote:
Palonitr and Howland wrote:Yes indeed we can the transport blimps as The Blimpwagons. I lean towards a more steampunk like blimp design rather than conventional ones.

Hmm... I guess I could look for steampunky designs. Though I would think they would be more... clean and streamlined in this RP.

Big sister here. Parent's took the caring role, so I never got the chance. Furthest I got was babysitting, and that was basially "make sure they aren't dead when we get back"

On many occasions I've had to take on a significant parenting role with my little brother (who's now 8). Unfortunately, for some reason his father thinks that I'm usurping his role or something when I do this and he's in the vicinity (even if he's busy with something else and so obviously can't parent at the moment), though my mother is a bit more understanding (she's mostly okay with it as long as I don't dish out discipline).

Thank goodness it's only my mother and I in this city.

Speaking of which, she comes back in a few days from her vacation. Oh, joy. (We usually get along, and in fact we're scarily similar, but when we fight... well, let's just say it's not pretty.)
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM Translation Service Thread
A Proud Portal Nationalist
The P2TM Depot – for all your RPing needs

Cosplaying as a Posadist | LOVEWHOYOUARE~ | Kinky Syndicalist

Nature-Spirits
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nature-Spirits » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:34 pm

Regarding blimps, I would make it something that could potentially be done in real life given the technology available in the 50s and 60s, but at the same time it's important to retain creativity. Personally, I would design both small and large models (which would be used for different purposes). It might be useful for you guys to read up on different types of airships.

The Carlisle
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Carlisle » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:52 pm

Well, not to crush dream but airships would be highly ineffective in warfare. For one, they are large targets with huge weakpoints. I mean, all parts of a plane is it's weakpoints, but this one'll make it go down if shot at. AA fire and missiles will wreck these ships, taking them out of the air.

Realistically, I would say there would have to be an aluminum underbelly to prevent small arms fire, possibly steel underbellies to prevent SAM and AA guns. It would also have to be decked out with AAMs to help defend against jets and damn good radars to see them coming.

Now usage? Definitely large transport. This thing could probably carry several tons more than bombers and much more space to carry shits. I wouldn't be surprised to see it carry tanks. Assault is another thing, because it puts it in a lot of danger from a ton of shit. It'll obviously carry big guns like 120mms or 150mms, bombs, missiles, possibly even troops to paradrop. Though the thing will need cover from jets. Obviously this thing will be used to lead and an assault and not used as support. It's a battleship, not a cruiser. :p

Luckily, the blimps will be cheap as most of it is the envelope which is just fabric.

So either it's massive transport behind the lines, or assault battleship leading the attacks. Quite the difference in roles.
Call me Carly
Gayism enabler
Trans Girl

Nature-Spirits
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nature-Spirits » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:59 pm

The Carlisle wrote:Well, not to crush dream but airships would be highly ineffective in warfare. For one, they are large targets with huge weakpoints. I mean, all parts of a plane is it's weakpoints, but this one'll make it go down if shot at. AA fire and missiles will wreck these ships, taking them out of the air.

Realistically, I would say there would have to be an aluminum underbelly to prevent small arms fire, possibly steel underbellies to prevent SAM and AA guns. It would also have to be decked out with AAMs to help defend against jets and damn good radars to see them coming.

Now usage? Definitely large transport. This thing could probably carry several tons more than bombers and much more space to carry shits. I wouldn't be surprised to see it carry tanks. Assault is another thing, because it puts it in a lot of danger from a ton of shit. It'll obviously carry big guns like 120mms or 150mms, bombs, missiles, possibly even troops to paradrop. Though the thing will need cover from jets. Obviously this thing will be used to lead and an assault and not used as support. It's a battleship, not a cruiser. :p

Luckily, the blimps will be cheap as most of it is the envelope which is just fabric.

So either it's massive transport behind the lines, or assault battleship leading the attacks. Quite the difference in roles.

I just want to point out that regular bullets (and many other projectiles) will pass right through the balloon of a blimp without causing any major damage; all that will occur is that a few holes appear in the fabric, but the gas wouldn't escape quickly enough for that to be of any major concern.
There may, however, be weapons specifically designed to take them down, if they're used extensively enough in warfare to warrant the invention of such weapons (ICly, that is). And, of course, there's always the danger of spontaneous combustion.

The Carlisle
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Carlisle » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:02 pm

Nature-Spirits wrote:
The Carlisle wrote:Well, not to crush dream but airships would be highly ineffective in warfare. For one, they are large targets with huge weakpoints. I mean, all parts of a plane is it's weakpoints, but this one'll make it go down if shot at. AA fire and missiles will wreck these ships, taking them out of the air.

I just want to point out that regular bullets (and many other projectiles) will pass right through the balloon of a blimp without causing any major damage; all that will occur is that a few holes appear in the fabric, but the gas wouldn't escape quickly enough for that to be of any major concern.
There may, however, be weapons specifically designed to take them down, if they're used extensively enough in warfare to warrant the invention of such weapons (ICly, that is). And, of course, there's always the danger of spontaneous combustion.

Well I really don't know how blimps work. TBH, I thought that they would zoom around like when you prick a hole in a balloon :p

But that is all good. The underbelly would still work though, as to prevent AA fire from the ground. Plus, I think the fliers will get extremely pissed off at adjusting the gas levels on a near constant basis because of the thousands of holes the mooks down below are putting in the blimp. :p

"HEY FUCKERS! STOP SHOOTING! JACK's ARMS ARE FALLIN' OFF TURNING THE GAS VALVE!" :p
Call me Carly
Gayism enabler
Trans Girl

Toishima
Senator

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Toishima » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:03 pm

Ah, I'm taking care of my younger sister while my mother is out of the country. Who leaves their daughters alone to go on a vacation?

Anyway, back to the blimps. There could be three kinds of blimps- Assault Blimps, Fire Support Blimps and Transport Blimps.

Assault Blimps are smaller low-altitude affairs and carry a single team of Airborne troopers as well as a 25mm cannon emplacement, or a dual machine gun. The ABs swoop in from above and fire down anchoring cables from pneumatic harpoon guns, anchoring the blimp in position while the Airborne troopers fast-rope down the cables. At the same time, the blimp gunner provides covering fire as a relatively stationary emplacement. Cheap aluminium would protect the gas bag.

Fire Support Blimps are high-altitude airships with armoured undersides and lots of guns and missiles, as mobile, airborne artillery platforms. Everything from 25mm up to 120mm will be mounted on these, as well as missiles of all sorts. They will stealthily move into position and rain fire from above, guarded by Skyclaw fighters and anti-aircraft missiles on the airship itself. Basically the usual steampunk air battleship blimps. No satellites yet means such things can actually sneak in, though ground and air radars could pick it up. For incoming AAMs massive amounts of chaff and flare dumpers would suffice to keep these 1960s-era missiles away.

What do you think transport blimps do, huh?
Call me Aki. My primary RP nation is Yamatai in Ordis. We are an MT region with an exciting constructed world. Join us. (Non Ordis version of Yamatai here)
GOKIGENYOU~
Singaporean Chinese Weeb who likes food, Japan, food, J-Pop, military stuff and Japanese food.
Ex military. Female. Otaku. Idol Wota. Physically incapable of writing posts shorter than 1,000 words.
This user supports the use of mechs, mecha and other legged machines in PMT and FT settings, and will use them.
Record word count for a single unbroken writing session: 27,154 words
Current flag is my Kami Oshi, Sato Masaki (Info here!).

Palonitr and Howland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Palonitr and Howland » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:10 pm

That was what i thought as well. These blimps are giant slow hulks, they the like the destroyers of tgebsea except only in air. They can only be used sparingly.

Nature-Spirits
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nature-Spirits » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:20 pm

The Carlisle wrote:
Nature-Spirits wrote:I just want to point out that regular bullets (and many other projectiles) will pass right through the balloon of a blimp without causing any major damage; all that will occur is that a few holes appear in the fabric, but the gas wouldn't escape quickly enough for that to be of any major concern.

Well I really don't know how blimps work. TBH, I thought that they would zoom around like when you prick a hole in a balloon :p

But that is all good. The underbelly would still work though, as to prevent AA fire from the ground. Plus, I think the fliers will get extremely pissed off at adjusting the gas levels on a near constant basis because of the thousands of holes the mooks down below are putting in the blimp. :p

"HEY FUCKERS! STOP SHOOTING! JACK's ARMS ARE FALLIN' OFF TURNING THE GAS VALVE!" :p

Eh, I'm pretty sure that the only adjustment that's made to gas is letting some out when you want to descend. :p

Toishima wrote:Ah, I'm taking care of my younger sister while my mother is out of the country. Who leaves their daughters alone to go on a vacation?

Well, my mom left her son (me) alone to go on a three-week vacation in Mexico. *shrug* I mean, a family friend/cousin is helping me out with getting to the grocery store and places when I need to, but my mom trusts me pretty well.

Toishima wrote:Anyway, back to the blimps. There could be three kinds of blimps- Assault Blimps, Fire Support Blimps and Transport Blimps.

Assault Blimps are smaller low-altitude affairs and carry a single team of Airborne troopers as well as a 25mm cannon emplacement, or a dual machine gun. The ABs swoop in from above and fire down anchoring cables from pneumatic harpoon guns, anchoring the blimp in position while the Airborne troopers fast-rope down the cables. At the same time, the blimp gunner provides covering fire as a relatively stationary emplacement. Cheap aluminium would protect the gas bag.

Fire Support Blimps are high-altitude airships with armoured undersides and lots of guns and missiles, as mobile, airborne artillery platforms. Everything from 25mm up to 120mm will be mounted on these, as well as missiles of all sorts. They will stealthily move into position and rain fire from above, guarded by Skyclaw fighters and anti-aircraft missiles on the airship itself. Basically the usual steampunk air battleship blimps. No satellites yet means such things can actually sneak in, though ground and air radars could pick it up. For incoming AAMs massive amounts of chaff and flare dumpers would suffice to keep these 1960s-era missiles away.

That sounds pretty good to me.

The Carlisle
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Carlisle » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:30 pm

Toishima wrote:Ah, I'm taking care of my younger sister while my mother is out of the country. Who leaves their daughters alone to go on a vacation?

Anyway, back to the blimps. There could be three kinds of blimps- Assault Blimps, Fire Support Blimps and Transport Blimps.

I actually like what you have. Though I like the idea of some attack blimps which would be the equivalent of sky tanks. They are well armoured, small-medium sized. Small ones can hold 37-50mm, while medium ones can go 50-90mm. Flies low to the ground, providing infantry support, taking out tanks and positions. Of course, there will also be blimp battles in the sky, which would be awesome.
Call me Carly
Gayism enabler
Trans Girl

Palonitr and Howland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Palonitr and Howland » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:31 pm

Would the assault blimps be a fast flyier?

The Carlisle
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Carlisle » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:44 pm

Oh gosh, my idea is bringing up so much possible stories with these blimps. Fucking sky tanks sounds awesome.

Okay, so the two nations have been at each others necks for years. Their borders pretty much follow natural barriers like forests, hills, and mountains. So instead of developing more mobile tanks, they develop air ship to completely bypass the obstacles. This also has the major effect of creating a whole new category of weapon, as airships can reign death from above, providing effective anti-tank and anti-infantry support. This causes an explosion of development, making more specialized and improved airships. Airships to know out tanks, airships to know out other airships, etc, etc. The airship becomes an important vehicle is combined arms tactics, and practically a necessary component of any military in this area of warfare.

Of course other things develop. Airships are more expensive than tanks and more dangerous to, well, everything when they get shot down. They become the secondary work horse in the military. They supplement instead of replace.

Don't know if y'all are with this sort of idea. I think its the coolest shit ever. I mean, fuckin sky tanks brah.
Call me Carly
Gayism enabler
Trans Girl

Altito Asmoro
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Altito Asmoro » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:47 pm

The Carlisle wrote:Oh gosh, my idea is bringing up so much possible stories with these blimps. Fucking sky tanks sounds awesome.

Okay, so the two nations have been at each others necks for years. Their borders pretty much follow natural barriers like forests, hills, and mountains. So instead of developing more mobile tanks, they develop air ship to completely bypass the obstacles. This also has the major effect of creating a whole new category of weapon, as airships can reign death from above, providing effective anti-tank and anti-infantry support. This causes an explosion of development, making more specialized and improved airships. Airships to know out tanks, airships to know out other airships, etc, etc. The airship becomes an important vehicle is combined arms tactics, and practically a necessary component of any military in this area of warfare.

Of course other things develop. Airships are more expensive than tanks and more dangerous to, well, everything when they get shot down. They become the secondary work horse in the military. They supplement instead of replace.

Don't know if y'all are with this sort of idea. I think its the coolest shit ever. I mean, fuckin sky tanks brah.

Supplement as in providing fire support and logistics?

Anyway, does the position above Master Sergeant is applicable?
Stormwrath wrote:
Altito Asmoro wrote:You people can call me...AA. Or Alt.
Or Tito.

I'm calling you "non-aligned comrade."

A proud Nationalist
Winner for Best War RP of 2016

Palonitr and Howland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Palonitr and Howland » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:49 pm

The Carlisle wrote:Oh gosh, my idea is bringing up so much possible stories with these blimps. Fucking sky tanks sounds awesome.

So smaller scale war blimps but more mobile ratger than large big demon flying ships meant to be in water.Would they be better in a real life design or in a steamounk with a more streamline look?

The Carlisle
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Carlisle » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:51 pm

Altito Asmoro wrote:

Of course, just like tanks in real life except they have better range, more skill to use, and lower numbers used.

Of course, I fantasize about huge ass airship battles between dozens of airships. Airships blowing up, going town in a blaze of glory. Camaraderie, tension, so much tension, and at the end of the day, half the main characters make it out alive and winning.

So smaller scale war blimps but more mobile ratger than large big demon flying ships meant to be in water.Would they be better in a real life design or in a steamounk with a more streamline look?

Yea, more smaller ships. Don't know a good size. Probably small ones are around 30 feet long. Mediums'll be about 45-50 feet long.

I think they would have a more real life design, though I really don't know what design will be good for a blimp. It'll need to be seek to travel at a fast enough rate.
Last edited by The Carlisle on Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Carly
Gayism enabler
Trans Girl

Altito Asmoro
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Altito Asmoro » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:52 pm

The Carlisle wrote:
Altito Asmoro wrote:

Of course, just like tanks in real life except they have better range, more skill to use, and lower numbers used.

Of course, I fantasize about huge ass airship battles between dozens of airships. Airships blowing up, going town in a blaze of glory. Camaraderie, tension, so much tension, and at the end of the day, half the main characters make it out alive and winning.

It will be a costly war to sacrifice airships.
Stormwrath wrote:
Or Tito.

A proud Nationalist

Toishima
Senator

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Toishima » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:55 pm

But... My MiG-21 x A-10 bastard ground attack plane...

Airships can't rule the skies alone. Planes and choppers should still do most of the heavy fighting, but when shit gets serious the airships show up and lay waste to everything on the ground.
Call me Aki. My primary RP nation is Yamatai in Ordis. We are an MT region with an exciting constructed world. Join us. (Non Ordis version of Yamatai here)
GOKIGENYOU~
Singaporean Chinese Weeb who likes food, Japan, food, J-Pop, military stuff and Japanese food.
Ex military. Female. Otaku. Idol Wota. Physically incapable of writing posts shorter than 1,000 words.
This user supports the use of mechs, mecha and other legged machines in PMT and FT settings, and will use them.
Record word count for a single unbroken writing session: 27,154 words
Current flag is my Kami Oshi, Sato Masaki (Info here!).

Altito Asmoro
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Altito Asmoro » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:57 pm

Toishima wrote:But... My MiG-21 x A-10 bastard ground attack plane...

Airships can't rule the skies alone. Planes and choppers should still do most of the heavy fighting, but when shit gets serious the airships show up and lay waste to everything on the ground.

So airships are like the main boss and the planes-choppers duo are the mini-bosses?
Stormwrath wrote:
Or Tito.

A proud Nationalist

Nature-Spirits
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nature-Spirits » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:57 pm

@Ayreo: Would you mind outlining the capital city? Where it is, what it's called, a bit about its history, its size, etc. That would be extremely useful to me (for several purposes) and, I'm sure, to others.

@Cy & Gren: How are the food and drinks coming along? Even if you aren't finished (and I don't mean to make you feel like I'm rushing you), if you have names for some common/popular beverages and dishes would you mind passing them along to me? Thanks in advance.

The Carlisle
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Carlisle » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:58 pm

Altito Asmoro wrote:
The Carlisle wrote:Of course, just like tanks in real life except they have better range, more skill to use, and lower numbers used.

It will be a costly war to sacrifice airships.

I assume a lot of these wars between Antideluvia and Precambria are costly. Though I would assume that by this point they would develop good tactics for airships, how to properly use them tactically. Stuff like I mentioned would be like in the 30s-40s.

Toishima wrote:But... My MiG-21 x A-10 bastard ground attack plane...

Well, yes. As I said, they supplement attacks in similar ways that tanks do. They move alongside forces and behind the lines. The rest of the aircraft will be the ones that'll be far reaching, as they are leagues faster than the air ships.
Call me Carly
Gayism enabler
Trans Girl

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse