NATION

PASSWORD

Antediluvian Secrets (official POC worldbuilding thread)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

How should we start the IC?

The platoon has just been formed, people don't know each other.
26%
The platoon is deployed so there's some burgeoning camaraderie, but mostly among those who are already friends from the home front.
63%
We've seen combat together: everybody knows everybody.
12%

Total votes : 43

Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Agritum » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:29 am

Gren, be sure to TG me when you finish the map. Gotta dot Precambria with some towns.

Cylarn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 25, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Cylarn » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:33 am

Have we come up with a service/dress/parade uniform for the Army?
✎ Member - ℘ædagog
If you are serving the US and its allies right now overseas, thank you for what you do.
Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award and the Best Crime RP Award for 2013 in P2TM. Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award of 2014 in P2TM.

Mincaldenteans
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Mincaldenteans » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:04 am

Cylarn wrote:Have we come up with a service/dress/parade uniform for the Army?

Nope, go for it.

Nature-Spirits
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nature-Spirits » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:52 pm

The Kamaian people can trace their origins to the far eastern peninsula of Supercentennaria (what is now Reioni), where archaeological traces of their culture can be found in the forms of tools and art (often using plant-derived dyes to decorate animal skins which were then used as clothing and the like), which heavily featured nature motifs. They were a scattered, nomadic, tribal people, who would often engage in warfare for land and resources.

Around 1500 BC (or the in-universe equivalent), the Kamaians first made contact with the Ezeric invaders. Initial contact was most likely through trade, and while much of the continent had already adopted the Ezeric language, the Kamaians used it only as a trade language. They did, however, adopt agriculture and the horse around 1400 BC, and the first signs of permanent Kamaian settlement appear around 1100 BC (though it should be noted that many of the Kamaian tribes maintained a nomadic or semi-nomadic lifestyle up until about 100 AD [or the in-universe equivalent]).

By this point -- experts disagree on when -- the Proto-Kamaian language had split into two branches: Terelic, in the northeast of the peninsula; and Attamic, in the southern foothills and mountains. The split is widely accepted to have arisen due to the divergent culture of the two groups, which centred around different geographical conditions. It is generally accepted that each tribe had its own language which was, for the most part, mutually intelligible with the languages of neighbouring tribes; the Terelic and Attamic branches are therefore often considered dialect continua.

Both the Terelic and Attamic groups continued to trade with the Ezerics of the mainland independently, and by the 10th century BC both languages had spread to what is now Precambria as trade languages, Attamic continuing to be mostly confined to the south and to the central mountain range while Terelic was more popular along the coasts and (to a lesser extent) throughout the far eastern tip of the continent. It was around this time that they started to be written down, mostly for record-keeping purposes. By 800 BC writing had become established on the peninsula itself as a form of communication, though the vast majority continued to be illiterate. Due to the cultural dominance on the peninsula by the Terelic people, a handful of Terelic languages gradually began to supplant Attamic as prestige languages, while Terelic lexicon was frequently adopted into Attamic languages. Priya Rukmeni, meanwhile, being the religion of the Ayami people (who, among the Terelic groups, were the most wealthy and well-known), was codified and spread throughout the peninsula within two centuries, with minor local variations among the other tribes. Due to this, the Ayami dialect came to be seen as a liturgical language by many, and by the 5th century BC was the lingua franca of the peninsula. By 400 BC, all records of Attamic cease, and it can be assumed that all Attamic people adopted either Symean or Ayami as their mother tongue by this time.

The Raidumi tribe (another subset of the Terelic people), meanwhile, began to overshadow the Ayami tribe, and in about 100 BC (sources, where they exist, frequently disagree on the date) a war erupted between the two tribes. The Raidumi emerged victorious, and subsequently began conquering the other tribes' land. Due to the majority of the tribes being much less organised than the Raidumi, most of the peninsula was firmly under their control by 0 AD. Therefore, while Ayami continued to be used as a liturgical language and Priya Rukmeni continued to be the most popular religion, Raidumi became the language of politics and the upper class.

Today, Modern Reionian (a direct descendant of Raidumi) is the official language of Reioni and the mother tongue of about half of Reioni's citizens (most of the rest have another Terelic language as their mother tongue, while a small minority have Modern Symean as their mother tongue), though almost everyone speaks Modern Reionian with a high degree of proficiency. Most people in urban areas also speak Modern Symean, while only some urban dwellers speak Modern Nahumic. Ayami continues to be used as a liturgical language, and many Reionians know Ayami prayers and songs.
Last edited by Nature-Spirits on Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM Translation Service Thread
A Proud Portal Nationalist
The P2TM Depot – for all your RPing needs

Cosplaying as a Posadist | LOVEWHOYOUARE~ | Kinky Syndicalist

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:49 pm

http://i.imgur.com/EGbwkUF.png

Regional map.

I spent so long on it because I was having trouble figuring out a way to not make it look like shit. I also wanted to try and incorporate the pre-war borders and the current front lines into it, but the pre-war map and this one didn't want to play well for some reason, and the operational map is on a different zoom level entirely (and is thus pretty much impossible to directly incorporate into this map).

As for the regions themselves, to save space, I simply used numbers to indicate which one is which (this also better allows me to make changes if I get names wrong). I also included regional capitals, for people who sent me maps with a city included. I changed the borders a bit from the ones which were sent to me, though with the exception of Revaalsbandt, they're all more or less recognizable to the crude edits I was sent. As for Revaalsbandt, I only expanded the borders, and made it shaped less blatantly like a small oval. It is still centered where the original was (in such a way that half of it is held under Antediluvian lines, and half under Precambrian lines).

One person sent me an edit with a regional subdivision. However, I opted not to include it, for fear that including subdivisions would eventually lead to a highly cluttered map. If, at a later date, it is necessary to have regional subdivisions established on a map, I will see if I can't make a zoomed in map that will allow me to better subdivide the region in question without causing as much clutter.

The regional list is as follows:

1. Sumpfburg
2. Verstact
3. Revaalsbandt
4. Rialtum

Regional capitals are as follows:

1. Sumpfburg
2. Oorburg
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Agritum » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:57 pm

Grenartia wrote:http://i.imgur.com/EGbwkUF.png

Regional map.

I spent so long on it because I was having trouble figuring out a way to not make it look like shit. I also wanted to try and incorporate the pre-war borders and the current front lines into it, but the pre-war map and this one didn't want to play well for some reason, and the operational map is on a different zoom level entirely (and is thus pretty much impossible to directly incorporate into this map).

As for the regions themselves, to save space, I simply used numbers to indicate which one is which (this also better allows me to make changes if I get names wrong). I also included regional capitals, for people who sent me maps with a city included. I changed the borders a bit from the ones which were sent to me, though with the exception of Revaalsbandt, they're all more or less recognizable to the crude edits I was sent. As for Revaalsbandt, I only expanded the borders, and made it shaped less blatantly like a small oval. It is still centered where the original was (in such a way that half of it is held under Antediluvian lines, and half under Precambrian lines).

One person sent me an edit with a regional subdivision. However, I opted not to include it, for fear that including subdivisions would eventually lead to a highly cluttered map. If, at a later date, it is necessary to have regional subdivisions established on a map, I will see if I can't make a zoomed in map that will allow me to better subdivide the region in question without causing as much clutter.

The regional list is as follows:

1. Sumpfburg
2. Verstact
3. Revaalsbandt
4. Rialtum

Regional capitals are as follows:

1. Sumpfburg
2. Oorburg

Great. I'll get to work tomorrow.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:15 pm

Now, if anybody's posted something that has not yet been put into the OP, please TG me a link to what you submitted, and I'll compose a post for Ayreo to add to the OP.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.

Mincaldenteans
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Mincaldenteans » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:26 pm

Regional map.

Aww my region's not in there ;(

Eh, not like its important right now anyway.

Still, nice ^_^

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:09 pm

Mincaldenteans wrote:

Regional map.

Still, nice ^_^

Ah. I knew I'd forgotten something. If you posted a region, and its not on this map, please also TG me the deets, so I can get around to revising the map.
Last edited by Grenartia on Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:41 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Mincaldenteans wrote:

Still, nice ^_^

Ah. I knew I'd forgotten something. If you posted a region, and its not on this map, please also TG me the deets, so I can get around to revising the map.
Grenartia wrote:Now, if anybody's posted something that has not yet been put into the OP, please TG me a link to what you submitted, and I'll compose a post for Ayreo to add to the OP.

So, um, yeah.

Mincaldenteans
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Mincaldenteans » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:24 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Grenartia wrote:
Grenartia wrote:Now, if anybody's posted something that has not yet been put into the OP, please TG me a link to what you submitted, and I'll compose a post for Ayreo to add to the OP.

So, um, yeah.

Forwarded my TG to ya with the coordinates.

Ayreonia
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ayreonia » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:31 am

Religion guys, is there any sort of prophetic stuff involved? If no, would it fit?
Images likely to cause widespread offense, such as the swastika, are not permitted as national flags. Please see the One-Stop Rules Shop ("Acceptable Flag Policy").

Photoshopped birds flipping the bird not acceptable.

Nature-Spirits
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nature-Spirits » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:53 am

Ayreonia wrote:Religion guys, is there any sort of prophetic stuff involved? If no, would it fit?

Hmm. Well, I'm not the expert, but I would say that Kama Kumara is somewhat of a prophet. I don't know if there have been any prophets since then, but I'd say it might be possible, especially considering the shamanistic origins of Gammar Gammura (though its modern form isn't really shamanistic in any way).

Altito Asmoro
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Altito Asmoro » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:05 am

Ayreonia wrote:Religion guys, is there any sort of prophetic stuff involved? If no, would it fit?

Crusade-thing?
Stormwrath wrote:
Altito Asmoro wrote:You people can call me...AA. Or Alt.
Or Tito.

I'm calling you "non-aligned comrade."

A proud Nationalist
Winner for Best War RP of 2016

Nature-Spirits
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nature-Spirits » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:26 am

Altito Asmoro wrote:

Crusade-thing?

What? The Crusades were wars/genocides/conflicts based on religion. Prophets are people who have a connection to the divine. There's a big difference.

Altito Asmoro
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Altito Asmoro » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:42 am

Nature-Spirits wrote:
Altito Asmoro wrote:
Crusade-thing?

What? The Crusades were wars/genocides/conflicts based on religion. Prophets are people who have a connection to the divine. There's a big difference.

No, Ayre mentioned religion. I think, though, Prophets who lead crusades for the nation should be gun to watch.
Stormwrath wrote:
Or Tito.

A proud Nationalist

Nature-Spirits
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nature-Spirits » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:42 am

Altito Asmoro wrote:
Nature-Spirits wrote:What? The Crusades were wars/genocides/conflicts based on religion. Prophets are people who have a connection to the divine. There's a big difference.

No, Ayre mentioned religion. I think, though, Prophets who lead crusades for the nation should be gun to watch.

... Prophets don't generally lead crusades, though.

Altito Asmoro
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Altito Asmoro » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:43 am

Nature-Spirits wrote:
Altito Asmoro wrote:

Generally.
Stormwrath wrote:
Or Tito.

A proud Nationalist

Mincaldenteans
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Mincaldenteans » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:45 am

Nature-Spirits wrote:
Altito Asmoro wrote:

True, but maybe Alt is thinking along the lines that to put it as part of a religion, or acts in the name of, or as a historical event. Not necessarily as one extreme or another.

Altito Asmoro
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Altito Asmoro » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:47 am

Mincaldenteans wrote:
Nature-Spirits wrote:... Prophets don't generally lead crusades, though.

True, but maybe Alt is thinking along the lines that to put it as part of a religion, or acts in the name of, or as a historical event. Not necessarily as one extreme or another.

It is useful to get some zealots and fresh soldiers into the battle, which can lead to a certain degree of success.
Stormwrath wrote:
Or Tito.

A proud Nationalist

Mincaldenteans
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Mincaldenteans » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:50 am

Altito Asmoro wrote:It is useful to get some zealots and fresh soldiers into the battle, which can lead to a certain degree of success.

Not sure how that would play out, given the premise as is. A bunch of fanatics while dangerous charging through bitter winter conditions in a stalemate front line is just tantamount to easy target practice at the least and plain suicide at the best.

Still, something to consider I suppose.
Last edited by Mincaldenteans on Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Altito Asmoro
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Altito Asmoro » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:52 am

Mincaldenteans wrote:
Altito Asmoro wrote:It is useful to get some zealots and fresh soldiers into the battle, which can lead to a certain degree of success.

Not sure how that would play out, given the premise as is. A bunch of fanatics while dangerous charging through bitter winter conditions in a stalemate front line is just tantamount to easy target practice at the least and plain suicide at the best.

Not whole.

Perhaps it is a sort of unofficial military-trained division comprised of armed zealots militias stationed in captured villages, pretending as citizens of those villages who attacked its enemies with ambush.
Stormwrath wrote:
Or Tito.

A proud Nationalist

Nature-Spirits
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nature-Spirits » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:53 am

Altito Asmoro wrote:
Mincaldenteans wrote:

Not whole.

Perhaps it is a sort of unofficial military-trained division comprised of armed zealots militias stationed in captured villages, pretending as citizens of those villages who attacked its enemies with ambush.

TBH, that doesn't make much sense to me. The war isn't religious in nature.

Altito Asmoro
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Altito Asmoro » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:56 am

Nature-Spirits wrote:
Altito Asmoro wrote:
Not whole.

TBH, that doesn't make much sense to me. The war isn't religious in nature.

You don't need the entire war.

It could be just one of the conflicts happened earlier. Perhaps Antediluvian troops came across a recluse tribes who promptly attacked them for messing with their territories.
Last edited by Altito Asmoro on Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stormwrath wrote:
Or Tito.

A proud Nationalist

Mincaldenteans
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Mincaldenteans » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:59 am

Altito Asmoro wrote:
You don't need the entire war.

It could be just one of the conflicts happened earlier. Perhaps Antediluvian troops came across a recluse tribes who promptly attacked them for messing with their territories.

You'll likely need to develop the idea more to make it plausible, Alt. It's very... erratic, currently.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse