NATION

PASSWORD

War Gears: Iron Hearts (OOC, CLOSED)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who would win in a fight: M2, T-26, M13/40, or a Panzer II

M2 Light
38%
T-26
31%
Carro Armato M13/40
19%
Panzerkampfwagen II
13%

Total votes : 16

Monfrox
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 25, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Monfrox » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:48 pm

Perestroikavo wrote:
Ulvenes wrote:And when I get paid I'm going to slaughter the Soviets in CoH2

CoH 2. A game that demonizes the Soviets and bows down to the mighty Nazi's who were the best and commited no war crimes and were the greatest ever! This coming from someone who has extensive time with the game. I would invest in MOWAS if I were you. MOWAS 2 if it is on sale.

Oh, save it. Everyone knows that the Nazis were evil, yes. But does that make the Soviets any better? Not entirely with the way Stalin treated his troops.
Gama Best Horror/Thriller RP 2015 Sequel
Xing wrote:Yeah but you also are the best at roleplay. (yay Space Core references) I'm pretty sure a four man tank crew is no problem for someone that had 27 different RP characters going at one time.

The Grey Wolf wrote:Froxy knows how to use a whip, I speak from experience.

Winner of the P2TM 2013 Best Fight Scene in a Single Post and Most Original Character, and 2015 Best Horror/Thriller Role-player awards.
Achievement

The Grey Wolf
Post Czar

Founded: May 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grey Wolf » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:07 pm

Monfrox wrote:
Perestroikavo wrote:
CoH 2. A game that demonizes the Soviets and bows down to the mighty Nazi's who were the best and commited no war crimes and were the greatest ever! This coming from someone who has extensive time with the game. I would invest in MOWAS if I were you. MOWAS 2 if it is on sale.

Oh, save it. Everyone knows that the Nazis were evil, yes. But does that make the Soviets any better? Not entirely with the way Stalin treated his troops.

Or how his troops treated others.

Perestroikavo
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Perestroikavo » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:08 pm

Monfrox wrote:
Perestroikavo wrote:

Never said it was any better. But most western countries, Americans especially seem to think the only thing the Soviets did was throw wave after wave of troops at the enemy, when in fact, that was a last ditch resort, commonly used by another country as well. Germany. I'm not justifying that the Soviets were better or worse than the Nazis, but that game portrays them as misogonystic bastards with no redeeming qualities whom only won with the sheer numbers behind them, instead of the war machine they really were, where the Nazi's get ridiculous overpowered units and can basically steamroll, all while never doing anything wrong. Example; A King Tiger that my ISU-152 shot twice in the rear lol'ed, turned around, bounced the concrete core rounds off his side, then proceeded to whittle the ISU down until it died. All without being repaired once.
Huscarl of Havoc since '14
The Templar High Council wrote:You talk too much Pere.
Ulvenes wrote:You become more and more awesome every week.

Jordsindia wrote:I will go down on you...for a fee. but we will not speak of it.

Monfrox
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby Monfrox » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:14 pm

Perestroikavo wrote:
Monfrox wrote:Oh, save it. Everyone knows that the Nazis were evil, yes. But does that make the Soviets any better? Not entirely with the way Stalin treated his troops.

Never said it was any better. But most western countries, Americans especially seem to think the only thing the Soviets did was throw wave after wave of troops at the enemy, when in fact, that was a last ditch resort, commonly used by another country as well. Germany. I'm not justifying that the Soviets were better or worse than the Nazis, but that game portrays them as misogonystic bastards with no redeeming qualities whom only won with the sheer numbers behind them, instead of the war machine they really were, where the Nazi's get ridiculous overpowered units and can basically steamroll, all while never doing anything wrong. Example; A King Tiger that my ISU-152 shot twice in the rear lol'ed, turned around, bounced the concrete core rounds off his side, then proceeded to whittle the ISU down until it died. All without being repaired once.

Because by this point we all know "Nazis are bad, m'kay?" and we're getting more of a different side. Pretty much every country committed atrocities. I've read about Soviet tactics in WW2 where it said that when all else failed, which happened a lot actually, they through hordes of people at them hoping that someone would get through.

As for the game mechanics? I've never really had much of a hard time taking on German armor.
Xing wrote:Yeah but you also are the best at roleplay. (yay Space Core references) I'm pretty sure a four man tank crew is no problem for someone that had 27 different RP characters going at one time.

Winner of the P2TM 2013 Best Fight Scene in a Single Post and Most Original Character, and 2015 Best Horror/Thriller Role-player awards.
Achievement

Perestroikavo
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Perestroikavo » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:21 pm

Monfrox wrote:
As for the game mechanics? I've never really had much of a hard time taking on German armor.

That really is great conversation. I especially love the heavy amounts of sarcasm dripping from your post. It stained my shirt through the screen. Being a jackass aside, I will admit that the Soviets did terrible things. As did the US. And Britain. Just like you said. No country was without its faults. But that game just seems too much to me. Its just ridiculous imho. It provides an unbalanced veiwpoint that I quite franky find offensive. CoH2 manages to use almost every single Russia-related trope, Gulags, army without any weapons, Russians shooting their own soldiers in the back. By the third mission I was honestly expecting to see bear cavalry. Here, the Great Patriotic War is about a heroic unified cause, not about repressive leaders throwing men against machine guns. The issue is complicated by Cold War myth-making by the Soviet Union and by Hollywood. Facts are obscured by a long, hostile political climate that has always sought to make claims on history. The campaign is basically one giant, offensive stereotype. The events on the Eastern Front were likely the most grim four years in the history of mankind. There is nothing wrong with trying to recreate that. It is wrong however, to essentially reduce it to the lazy stereotype of German Übermensch Wehrmacht and SS against the Soviet Horde.

Jordsindia wrote:I will go down on you...for a fee. but we will not speak of it.

The Grey Wolf
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Grey Wolf » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:24 pm

Boys, girls, calm yourselves.

Monfrox
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby Monfrox » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:41 pm

Perestroikavo wrote:
Monfrox wrote:

That really is great conversation. I especially love the heavy amounts of sarcasm dripping from your post. It stained my shirt through the screen. Being a jackass aside, I will admit that the Soviets did terrible things. As did the US. And Britain. Just like you said. No country was without its faults. But that game just seems too much to me. Its just ridiculous imho. It provides an unbalanced veiwpoint that I quite franky find offensive. CoH2 manages to use almost every single Russia-related trope, Gulags, army without any weapons, Russians shooting their own soldiers in the back. By the third mission I was honestly expecting to see bear cavalry. Here, the Great Patriotic War is about a heroic unified cause, not about repressive leaders throwing men against machine guns. The issue is complicated by Cold War myth-making by the Soviet Union and by Hollywood. Facts are obscured by a long, hostile political climate that has always sought to make claims on history. The campaign is basically one giant, offensive stereotype. The events on the Eastern Front were likely the most grim four years in the history of mankind. There is nothing wrong with trying to recreate that. It is wrong however, to essentially reduce it to the lazy stereotype of German Übermensch Wehrmacht and SS against the Soviet Horde.

1. I'm not being sarcastic. I use the ISU-152, the IS-2, and the KV-2 when I play and I rarely run into problems.

2. And I am to expect that Russia can produce a video game with America as the forefront and main entity with it being totally politically correct all the time as well? Because I can tell you right now that I would not. Hell Japan portrays all our girls as blondes with blue eyes and an under-average IQ. Not stupid, but not smart either. And they portray our guys as assholes most of the time. Do I get mad? No. I'll admit we're assholes, and that we push the "blonde hair blue eyed girl" stereotype in our own country, but there is always a grain of truth in stereotypes. I doesn't see it as worth it to get mad at something that really affects so little. CoH2 isn't going to rewrite history. It's just a game.

Achievement

The Grey Wolf
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Grey Wolf » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:46 pm

Monfrox wrote:
Perestroikavo wrote:

1. I'm not being sarcastic. I use the ISU-152, the IS-2, and the KV-2 when I play and I rarely run into problems.

2. And I am to expect that Russia can produce a video game with America as the forefront and main entity with it being totally politically correct all the time as well? Because I can tell you right now that I would not. Hell Japan portrays all our girls as blondes with blue eyes and an under-average IQ. Not stupid, but not smart either. And they portray our guys as assholes most of the time. Do I get mad? No. I'll admit we're assholes, and that we push the "blonde hair blue eyed girl" stereotype in our own country, but there is always a grain of truth in stereotypes. I doesn't see it as worth it to get mad at something that really affects so little. CoH2 isn't going to rewrite history. It's just a game.

We have an... interesting history with the bolded.

Perestroikavo
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Perestroikavo » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:48 pm

Monfrox wrote:1. I'm not being sarcastic. I use the ISU-152, the IS-2, and the KV-2 when I play and I rarely run into problems.

Quoted the wrong thing. And as much as it's just a game, think of 11-15 year olds playing that. I talked to a young boy yesterday who claimed that the Great Patriotic War should have been won by the Nazis. WTF?!?!? I just don't like the impressions it gives off. And yes. A recent title I played featured your standard American "Joe" who drank all the time, was an ass to everyone, was always hungry and eating. I'm not saying its non-existent, I'm saying that the particular title provides a ridiculous viewpoint on the whole thing, and undereducated players may make assumptions that weren't necissarily true. At no point was I angry during this, just a little perplexed. On a lighter note, I laughed my ass off when I watched some terrible British t.v. show. The Russian guy in it was like super strong and had lots of guns and drank lots of vodka, all while wearing a commissar's hat. Salute to you, GB.

Monfrox
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby Monfrox » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:56 pm

Perestroikavo wrote:
Monfrox wrote:1. I'm not being sarcastic. I use the ISU-152, the IS-2, and the KV-2 when I play and I rarely run into problems.

Quoted the wrong thing. And as much as it's just a game, think of 11-15 year olds playing that. I talked to a young boy yesterday who claimed that the Great Patriotic War should have been won by the Nazis. WTF?!?!? I just don't like the impressions it gives off. And yes. A recent title I played featured your standard American "Joe" who drank all the time, was an ass to everyone, was always hungry and eating. I'm not saying its non-existent, I'm saying that the particular title provides a ridiculous viewpoint on the whole thing, and undereducated players may make assumptions that weren't necissarily true. At no point was I angry during this, just a little perplexed. On a lighter note, I laughed my ass off when I watched some terrible British t.v. show. The Russian guy in it was like super strong and had lots of guns and drank lots of vodka, all while wearing a commissar's hat. Salute to you, GB.

Oh you think you have it bad when you're nation's little kids play CoH2 and say that? We have a nation full of little middle schoolers who think they know everything about guns and that war is just a game, and that it's as easy as picking up a rifle and pointing it at some one who isn't you and pulling the trigger. Yeah, thanks Call of Duty and Battlefield. Seriously, one of my buddies went to MEPS to enlist in the Air Force and some guy on the bus was like "All I wanna do is just kill people". Yeah, you have fun with that and the amount of PTSD that comes with it.

My favorite shooters will always be Spec Ops: The Line and Metro 2033. Those don't beat around the bush and let you know that war is fucking hell.

Achievement

The Grey Wolf
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Grey Wolf » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:00 am

Perestroikavo wrote:

WTF is it with this "Great Patriotic War" nonsense? Americans get this bad rap for being egotistical, but I think some people should look in the mirror.

Safe to say that that young boy probably didn't know about Generalplan Ost.

Perestroikavo
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Perestroikavo » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:03 am

Monfrox wrote:Oh you think you have it bad when you're nation's little kids play CoH2 and say that? We have a nation full of little middle schoolers who think they know everything about guns and that war is just a game, and that it's as easy as picking up a rifle and pointing it at some one who isn't you and pulling the trigger. Yeah, thanks Call of Duty and Battlefield. Seriously, one of my buddies went to MEPS to enlist in the Air Force and some guy on the bus was like "All I wanna do is just kill people". Yeah, you have fun with that and the amount of PTSD that comes with it.

My favorite shooters will always be Spec Ops: The Line and Metro 2033. Those don't beat around the bush and let you know that war is fucking hell.

What a bunch of morons. (No offense intended) I was so done with the Army after I got out. Never saw combat, but I was in a couple of rocket attacks, and that shit still gives me nightmares. Surprisingly, I still do love war games and movies. You would think it would make you not like them, but no. I have to say that we have different sorts of the same problem. My main thing is that I support communism, but the not ridiculously broken form that the USSR ran. When I hear these young kids saying "We should go back to being the USSR" I shudder. Gah.

My favorite shooters are Metro 2033 and probably STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl. If we are going purely realistic, I agree with your two picks.
When you figure out that it was just the protragonist going crazy. :o

The Grey Wolf wrote:WTF is it with this "Great Patriotic War" nonsense? Americans get this bad rap for being egotistical, but I think some people should look in the mirror.

You may call the country egotistical, but that is what WW2 is mostly referred to as here. It is more out of respect for the servicemen and women who served during that time, and to honour those families who lost members to not only the Nazis, but Stalins brutal regime as well.
Last edited by Perestroikavo on Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Monfrox
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby Monfrox » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:09 am

The Grey Wolf wrote:WTF is it with this "Great Patriotic War" nonsense? Americans get this bad rap for being egotistical, but I think some people should look in the mirror.

Can't you see I'm trying to have an educated discussion without slinging mud?

Perestroikavo wrote:What a bunch of morons. (No offense intended) I was so done with the Army after I got out. Never saw combat, but I was in a couple of rocket attacks, and that shit still gives me nightmares. Surprisingly, I still do love war games and movies. You would think it would make you not like them, but no. I have to say that we have different sorts of the same problem. My main thing is that I support communism, but the not ridiculously broken form that the USSR ran. When I hear these young kids saying "We should go back to being the USSR" I shudder. Gah.

My favorite shooters are Metro 2033 and probably STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl. If we are going purely realistic, I agree with your two picks.
When you figure out that it was just the protragonist going crazy. :o

I'm planning on enlisting in the National Air Guard, and then after that I use my GI bill to go back to school and then go into the proper Air Force. Maybe I'll be able to qualify for PJs by then. I also know a guy who's in an Arma platoon and their leader has PTSD. He treats it by running through the same scenarios he went through over in the Middle East, only he's with friends in a safe environment where making a mistake won't cost you your life. He uses it to replace all the negative energy with positive energy.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was a helluva a game. I literally started up SoC for the first time and went to go to the bandit camp and died even though I was careful. Then I learned that it doesn't autosave. I was like "What the hell! This game is bullshit! I quit!" ...and then picked it back up not even five minutes later. It was a painstaking learning process.

Achievement

Perestroikavo
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Perestroikavo » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:16 am

Monfrox wrote:
I'm planning on enlisting in the National Air Guard, and then after that I use my GI bill to go back to school and then go into the proper Air Force. Maybe I'll be able to qualify for PJs by then. I also know a guy who's in an Arma platoon and their leader has PTSD. He treats it by running through the same scenarios he went through over in the Middle East, only he's with friends in a safe environment where making a mistake won't cost you your life. He uses it to replace all the negative energy with positive energy.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was a helluva a game. I literally started up SoC for the first time and went to go to the bandit camp and died even though I was careful. Then I learned that it doesn't autosave. I was like "What the hell! This game is bullshit! I quit!" ...and then picked it back up not even five minutes later. It was a painstaking learning process.

My problem is, that when I go to America for college (back home taking care of my sick M-I-L) a lot of the youth seem to like shooting off those firebomb things. Firecrackers, I think their called. Those things make me jump. Scare the hell outta me. That is an interesting way to combat PTSD. I just think it would scare me more. Nothing is worse than hearing the horrible whoosing sound followed by explosions and what follows after. If you don't have to see combat, I would encourage you to enlist. (though I don't really know the benefits you guys get) I don't like many of the Air Force of Russia. A bunch of arrogant bastards if you ask me. I hope your experiance is different than mine in the armed forces.

Monfrox
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby Monfrox » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:19 am

Perestroikavo wrote:
Monfrox wrote:

My problem is, that when I go to America for college (back home taking care of my sick M-I-L) a lot of the youth seem to like shooting off those firebomb things. Firecrackers, I think their called. Those things make me jump. Scare the hell outta me. That is an interesting way to combat PTSD. I just think it would scare me more. Nothing is worse than hearing the horrible whoosing sound followed by explosions and what follows after. If you don't have to see combat, I would encourage you to enlist. (though I don't really know the benefits you guys get) I don't like many of the Air Force of Russia. A bunch of arrogant bastards if you ask me. I hope your experiance is different than mine in the armed forces.

Yeah, pilots are arrogant SOBs most of the time. Comes with the territory I guess. And yeah, a lot of our college students would rather fuck off than actually learn.

Anyway, I'll get a post up in the IC tomorrow. Kelly's going to be slightly different, but not too much. I just wish the Super Pershing was publicly used more after WW2...

Achievement

Ulvenes
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Ulvenes » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:40 am

Perestroikavo wrote:
Ulvenes wrote:And when I get paid I'm going to slaughter the Soviets in CoH2

Yeah well I don't like Soviets.

I've also seen plenty of videos showing that the Soviet army had some over powered things like the SU-85 being able to snipe from long distance or being able to destroy German armor in a few shots. I've even seen one bounce the shot of a Panther at point blank, and I really don't care. It's a game, and it just looks really cool to play, which is the reason why I want to play it. Not because it 'demonizes' Soviets even though I feel like they did that to themselves.

Anyway, who is that in that pic Mon?
I cannot watch youtube, so please stop giving me links there.
Love Few, Trust Fewer.
Do you Bark?

Zarkenis Ultima wrote:You're not a pup, you're a majestic canine creature. He's a silly pup. -nods-

Wolfenium
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 17, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Wolfenium » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:41 am

Ulvenes wrote:
Perestroikavo wrote:

Yeah well I don't like Soviets.

I've also seen plenty of videos showing that the Soviet army had some over powered things like the SU-85 being able to snipe from long distance or being able to destroy German armor in a few shots. I've even seen one bounce the shot of a Panther at point blank, and I really don't care. It's a game, and it just looks really cool to play, which is the reason why I want to play it. Not because it 'demonizes' Soviets even though I feel like they did that to themselves.

Anyway, who is that in that pic Mon?

Esdeath
Name: Wolfenium| Demonym: Wolfener/Wolfen| Tech Level: MT/PMT/FanTech (main timeline) or FT/FanTech
Factbook (under revamping): MT | PT
Characters: Imperial Registry of Houses (PT: Historical Archives)
Embassies: Wolfenium's Diplomatic Quarters - Now open to Embassies and Consulates
National Symbols (Applies for both MT/PMT and FT): Flag (Elaborate)|Anthem

/人 ‿‿ 人\ { Make a contract with me, and save me from the Homu-devil! )

Ulvenes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Ulvenes » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:43 am

That is a scurry lookin' girl.
Love Few, Trust Fewer.
Do you Bark?

Zarkenis Ultima wrote:You're not a pup, you're a majestic canine creature. He's a silly pup. -nods-

Wolfenium
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby Wolfenium » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:44 am

Ulvenes wrote:That is a scurry lookin' girl.

You should be.
Name: Wolfenium| Demonym: Wolfener/Wolfen| Tech Level: MT/PMT/FanTech (main timeline) or FT/FanTech
Embassies: Wolfenium's Diplomatic Quarters - Now open to Embassies and Consulates

The Grey Wolf
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Grey Wolf » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:49 am

Ulvenes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Ulvenes » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:49 am

Wolfenium wrote:
Ulvenes wrote:That is a scurry lookin' girl.

You should be.

..A scurry lookin' girl? O.o
Love Few, Trust Fewer.
Do you Bark?

Wolfenium
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby Wolfenium » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:53 am

Ulvenes wrote:
Wolfenium wrote:
You should be.

I was going to say 'scared'... :meh:

Ulvenes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Ulvenes » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:55 am

Wolfenium wrote:
Ulvenes wrote:

I was going to say 'scared'... :meh:

Shoulda said that then. :P
Love Few, Trust Fewer.
Do you Bark?

The Grey Wolf
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Grey Wolf » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:30 am

Application
Name: Geri Thompson
Personification of: M10 tank destroyer (a.k.a Wolverine)
Gun & Armor Description:
9 to 57.2 mm
3-inch Gun M1918
Physical Appearance (pic if possible):

Personality: a descendant of Celtic cattle thieves killing one another up and down Hadrian's Wall, and coal miners, Geri has a fatalistic position towards life, believing whatever happens will happen one way or another, there's no way around it. She is generally cheery and patriotic, believing in the USA's greatness, although having respect for the Germans as "tough no nonsense sons of bitches." George Patton's death struck her hard.
Bio: born as the third child of a (later) six children family with a deep history in the coal mining and railroad industry, Geri expected to become a miner before being conscripted into the US army and becoming a War Mage. She first saw combat in Tunisia, proving capable of knocking out most German and Italian armor, but had trouble managing in Normandy, and was eventually supplemented by the Hellcat, something she had no hard feelings over. After hearing about the War Gears catastrophe, she has been reading up, especially when she hears about the prison escape.
Etc.: (this is her voice) http://youtu.be/aLw8a-TfLwc?t=3m11s

Nature-Spirits
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nature-Spirits » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:20 am

The Grey Wolf wrote:Celtic cattle thieves killing one another up and down Hadrian's Wall

Love those guys. :3 Border is Love, Border is Life.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM Translation Service Thread
A Proud Portal Nationalist
The P2TM Depot – for all your RPing needs

Cosplaying as a Posadist | LOVEWHOYOUARE~ | Kinky Syndicalist

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse