NATION

PASSWORD

Jump Gate Jockeys, FT, Exploration/Action, Semi-Open

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

How much longer do you all want to stay on Gate 07? Also, skype: Y/N?

Just till the end of the arc
37%
For the rest of the RP
No votes
Destroy it and go planet-side somewhere.
11%
---------
5%
We should create a skype call for us
37%
We really shouldn't
11%

Total votes : 19

Vancon
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:01 pm

Die erworbenen Namen wrote:
Korva wrote:I meant how permissive is society. Is it moralistic or libertine?

Are we outright banned from bringing certain weapons aboard as they will compromise the hull? Are there systems for quickly sealing breaches (like the gel in the Gundam series)?

Babylon 5 had the PPG: It was a pistol, rifle, and MG group that could shoot through personal armor and flesh, but not hulls.

How many times do I need to tell you: This ain't no Babylon 5.
Mike the Progressive wrote:You know I don't say this often, but this guy... he gets it. Like everything. As in he gets life.

Imperializt Russia wrote:
The balkens wrote:Please tell me that condoms and Hazelnut spread are NOT on the same table.

Well what the fuck do you use for lube?

Krazakistan wrote:How have you not died after being exposed to that much shit on a monthly basis?
Rupudska wrote:I avoid NSG like one would avoid ISIS-occupied Syria.
Alimeria- wrote:I'll go to sleep when I want to, not when some cheese-eating surrender monkey tells me to.

Which just so happens to be within the next half-hour

Shyluz wrote:Van, Sci-fi Generallisimo

U18 2nd Cutest NS'er 2015
Best Role Play - Science Fiction 2015: Athena Program

Raktio
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Raktio » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:03 pm

Well from looking at the ship I'd assume it's both space and air flight capable, lack of any distinctions that implies spinning things say that there's some sort of artificial gravity field (could be easily electromagnetic like in Gravity), and flight is fairly limited in direction however the wing studs might be able to do reverse thrust which would allow some maneuverability (nothing super great so that means avoid space dog fights). I'm guessing that there's some sort of ion shield (pretty sure it's ion but I could be wrong) to protect from space radiation (something that's short n development right now) and a small fusion reactor for power. Also wouldn't mind knowing what's being used for propulsion, I'd assume it'd be something that's effective and efficient in air and space.

Cong you're most probably right about the pilot situation, also means that the pilot needs to know physics and math. Also I'd like to point out that aside from actual experience I do know quite a lot about air flight and have a good idea of how space flight works (helps that I'm planning on going into aerospace engineering and focusing more towards space flight).
Broadside dead ahead!

No, this comment is not meant to be sarcastic.

Korva
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 22, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Korva » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:07 pm

I feel like the pilot should really just be an NPC, I mean it just seems really unimportant. Unless of course the pilot somehow gets stranded with the rest of us, but at that point knowledge of piloting is even more irrelevant.
Vancon wrote:
Babylon 5 had the PPG: It was a pistol, rifle, and MG group that could shoot through personal armor and flesh, but not hulls.

How big are the jump gates? Like the size of the ISS? Or huge like an aircraft carrier?
Last edited by Korva on Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raktio
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Raktio » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:10 pm

Vancon wrote:

For something like the PPG to work you'd need to have a sufficient power source to fire a beam of heat since that's essentially the closest comparison.

Are directional electrical charge weapons ok? Basically it would create small lighting bolts that would be more equiviant to a tazer, the potential problem is that they might take time to create the path for the electricity to travel (there's other problems but that would be the main one). It also would have small amount of shots before needing a new power pack.
Broadside dead ahead!

Congreveopia
Minister

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Congreveopia » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:12 pm

Raktio wrote:Cong you're most probably right about the pilot situation, also means that the pilot needs to know physics and math.

Absolutely. I'd imagine the relationship between pilot and spaceship-AI to be like the relationship between a Napoleonic-era captain and the ship's crew. The captain doesn't need to individually work every rope, but he needs to understand how the ship works, what it can do, and how to make it do that.
"Close air support covereth a multitude of sins." - Maxim 4

Congreveopia is an advanced MT nation, managed by the artificial superintelligence known as "Nexus". It is very active in global affairs, and loves manipulating nations to steer the future of the world.
Links:
Equator Confederation wrote:Congreveopia has spoken. Do it now.
Vancon wrote:Enter Cong, the smartest of our bunch.
The United Remnants of America wrote:Except for Cong, whom I'm now decently sure is a superhuman being we should probably be worshipping.

Congreveopia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Congreveopia » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:15 pm

Raktio wrote:
Vancon wrote:How many times do I need to tell you: This ain't no Babylon 5.

For something like the PPG to work you'd need to have a sufficient power source to fire a beam of heat since that's essentially the closest comparison.

Are directional electrical charge weapons ok? Basically it would create small lighting bolts that would be more equiviant to a tazer, the potential problem is that they might take time to create the path for the electricity to travel (there's other problems but that would be the main one). It also would have small amount of shots before needing a new power pack.

If you're pushing that electricity through the air, it's going to be hard to control where it goes, and it will need a lot of power (and it will kill not stun anyone it hits). May I suggest that instead, the weapon fires two streams of liquid and pulses a charge through them when they hit the target. That basically creates a variable power taser that can be fired multiple times (but needs two types of ammo).

Congreveopia is an advanced MT nation, managed by the artificial superintelligence known as "Nexus". It is very active in global affairs, and loves manipulating nations to steer the future of the world.
Links:
The United Remnants of America wrote:Except for Cong, whom I'm now decently sure is a superhuman being we should probably be worshipping.

Vancon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:20 pm

Jump Gates very size and shape, but the one we'll be going too will be two, 2 km long pontoons connected by a large yellow electrical field that can propel a vessel the size of a Nimitz through and out another of equal or larger size.

Electrical weaponry exists, but more like Tasers on steroids.

As for the pilot, if it's causing this much trouble and OS is okay with switching, I'll do the NPC acts myself.

The ship is space only, and uses a small nuclear.

The captain will be more of an overlooker making sure that the ship is doing what needs to be done, and acting as a final decision maker for when he makes his ship do something that the computers think is stupid.
Last edited by Vancon on Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike the Progressive wrote:You know I don't say this often, but this guy... he gets it. Like everything. As in he gets life.

The balkens wrote:Please tell me that condoms and Hazelnut spread are NOT on the same table.

Krazakistan wrote:How have you not died after being exposed to that much shit on a monthly basis?
Alimeria- wrote:I'll go to sleep when I want to, not when some cheese-eating surrender monkey tells me to.

Korva
Negotiator

Postby Korva » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:23 pm

Vancon wrote:Jump Gates very size and shape, but the one we'll be going too will be two, 2 km long pontoons connected by a large yellow electrical field that can propel a vessel the size of a Nimitz through and out another of equal or larger size.

As for the pilot, if it's causing this much trouble and OS is okay with switching, I'll do the NPC acts myself.

The captain will be more of an overlooker making sure that the ship is doing what needs to be done, and acting as a final decision maker for when he makes his ship do something that the computers think is stupid.

Do the gates have artificial gravity?
Last edited by Korva on Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vancon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:26 pm

Korva wrote:
Vancon wrote:Jump Gates very size and shape, but the one we'll be going too will be two, 2 km long pontoons connected by a large yellow electrical field that can propel a vessel the size of a Nimitz through and out another of equal or larger size.

Do the gates have artificially gravity?

Some of them do, such as this one. The one we will be going too also has a lot more things on it, such as a crew quarters, a couple hangar bays compared to the usual couple docking ports, etc...

Congreveopia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Congreveopia » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:33 pm

Vancon wrote:
Korva wrote:Do the gates have artificially gravity?

Some of them do, such as this one. The one we will be going too also has a lot more things on it, such as a crew quarters, a couple hangar bays compared to the usual couple docking ports, etc...

Are the jump gates strictly government facilities, or do the larger ones function as (travel plaza)/(rest stop) places?

But, you see, I had to put the parentheses in, otherwise my meaning would have been ambiguous.

Links:

Raktio
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Raktio » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:33 pm

Congreveopia wrote:
Raktio wrote:For something like the PPG to work you'd need to have a sufficient power source to fire a beam of heat since that's essentially the closest comparison.

If you're pushing that electricity through the air, it's going to be hard to control where it goes, and it will need a lot of power (and it will kill not stun anyone it hits). May I suggest that instead, the weapon fires two streams of liquid and pulses a charge through them when they hit the target. That basically creates a variable power taser that can be fired multiple times (but needs two types of ammo).

Or use laser beams to carry the charge

And since the ship's space only (which simplifies quite a bit of the stuff) I'm assuming that if it doesn't have a artificial gravity field that it spins to get the affect. Also on the jump gates (there's actually a name for the general area of devices which essentially push space ships upto the very large speeds) how do they deal with the massive acceleration and deceleration and not have the passengers squished, and is there cryostasis?
Broadside dead ahead!

Vancon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:39 pm

Raktio wrote:
Congreveopia wrote:If you're pushing that electricity through the air, it's going to be hard to control where it goes, and it will need a lot of power (and it will kill not stun anyone it hits). May I suggest that instead, the weapon fires two streams of liquid and pulses a charge through them when they hit the target. That basically creates a variable power taser that can be fired multiple times (but needs two types of ammo).

And since the ship's space only (which simplifies quite a bit of the stuff) I'm assuming that if it doesn't have a artificial gravity field that it spins to get the affect. Also on the jump gates (there's actually a name for the general area of devices which essentially push space ships upto the very large speeds) how do they deal with the massive acceleration and deceleration and not have the passengers squished, and is there cryostasis?

Cryo exists, but there is no use for it, unless you're moving a new gate into a new area. As for the Gates, it's like the portals from, well, portal.

The ship we'll use doesn't have gravity on board, but there will be a warning when we come close to a place with gravity.

Congreveopia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Congreveopia » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:45 pm

Raktio wrote:
Congreveopia wrote:If you're pushing that electricity through the air, it's going to be hard to control where it goes, and it will need a lot of power (and it will kill not stun anyone it hits). May I suggest that instead, the weapon fires two streams of liquid and pulses a charge through them when they hit the target. That basically creates a variable power taser that can be fired multiple times (but needs two types of ammo).

How would you use laser beams to carry the charge? Aren't they just photons that aren't dispersing much?

Links:

Die Erworbenen Namen
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Die Erworbenen Namen » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:46 pm

Vancon wrote:
Raktio wrote:Or use laser beams to carry the charge

Cryo exists, but there is no use for it, unless you're moving a new gate into a new area. As for the Gates, it's like the portals from, well, portal.

The ship we'll use doesn't have gravity on board, but there will be a warning when we come close to a place with gravity.

BABYLON 5!!!!!!

Cong, it would be like a fiber optic cable.
The beatings will continue. Regardless of morale.

Hurtful Thoughts wrote:Also, nominating DEN as ATLAS's Chef Ramses.
The United Remnants of America wrote:I'm collecting friends. Hate to say it, but you qualify.

Congreveopia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Congreveopia » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:50 pm

Die erworbenen Namen wrote:Cong, it would be like a fiber optic cable.

What? I don't get what you mean by that.

Links:

Raktio
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Raktio » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:15 pm

Who said anything about directly using the laser beam, it's called using the beam to create a path through the atmosphere.

http://www.gizmag.com/laser-induced-pla ... nel/23117/
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolaser
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/201 ... bolt-laser
Broadside dead ahead!

Congreveopia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Congreveopia » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:30 pm

Raktio wrote:Who said anything about directly using the laser beam, it's called using the beam to create a path through the atmosphere.

That is so beautiful...

Okay, you definitely know more about this than me. Go right ahead.

Links:

Raktio
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Raktio » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:44 pm

Congreveopia wrote:
Raktio wrote:Who said anything about directly using the laser beam, it's called using the beam to create a path through the atmosphere.

That is so beautiful...

Okay, you definitely know more about this than me. Go right ahead.

I don't know all to much about it, other than that unfortunately these won't work without atmosphere (that's when we have to look into space lighting which I've done once before, very diferent stuff without atmoshere) but as (mostly) non-lethal weapons and personal defence I'd imagine their beauties in thier own right.
Broadside dead ahead!

Utceforp
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 10, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Utceforp » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:18 pm

IC?
Signatures are so 2014.

Vancon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:20 pm

Utceforp wrote:IC?

Friday. I want to think of the opening a bit more and I'd like to wait for Game to get back from his trip.

It also gives us a bit more time to see if anyone else cares to join.

Korva
Negotiator

Postby Korva » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:16 pm

Since we have another few days til this starts, would anyone be interested in posting a bit more about their characters?

Banana is spaceborn and is innately distrustful towards terrestrial citizens. He hates gravity, partly because he has never spent much of his life on any planet, and partly because of the artificial gravity accident that claimed his family.

On a lighter note he has a voracious appetite (for both food and women), a curious spirit, and a doggedly stubborn refusal to accept to defeat.

He is joining this team of mercs as a means to earn enough money to pay off both his soaring gambling debts and his equally high bar tab.

Vancon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:35 pm

I have a mission for you, should you chose to accept it.

The following compagnies require a backstory.

If people could take one and work on it for the good of the RP.

That'd be great.

-Zentradi Foundation, a kind of militaristic mega corporation that specialises in weaponry.
-Black Hand Syndicate, an intergalactic business syndicate, which acts as a money laundering front for a criminal syndicate of the same name.
-UMC-United Martian Colonies, a union of the assorted martian colonies. A true democracy with a view for peace and freedom.
-Red Dawn Industries, the Zentradi Foundation's largest competitor. Similar in concept and execution.
-East-Earth Company, a band of explorers who normally put the Gates into place, by means of AI and cryostasis pods.
-Upsilon Incorporated, a cyber tech foundation created in the outer colonies, for the outer colonies. --Probable Bad-guys too the UEG--

I'll work on the Phoenix Corporation, ie the owners of the station we'll be going too.

The United Remnants of America
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2013
Democratic Socialists

Postby The United Remnants of America » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:45 pm

OOCly, Galia Rothar is from Seranos, the planet that will eventually become Seran Prime, the homeworld and capital of the Seran Federation(My FT puppet) and is the ancestor of Zakarius Rothar, the "current" president of the Federation. The Rothars will eventually become a family like the Kennedys or Bushes in the Federation only because they're one of the oldest families on the planet.

Enter Galia, the third generation daughter of the Rothar family, when her grandparents came with the first colonization group to Seranos. Galia, in her teenage years, was a lifeguard before gaining the free ride to a Earth university to study for her medical degree, where she plans to move back to Seranos and basically make money and help people.

This mercenary business is her first job where she's trying to earn money to pay for college. She's never touched a weapon before the guy who gave her the job's details handed her a pistol to defend herself.

Even though her homeworld is through the 7th Jump Gate, her world is actually a fairly peaceful world with little dissent, since it's focused on survival. However, during her time on Earth, Galia has become very accustomed to the discrimination of being a "7th Gater," and the related idea that she's some kind of terrorist.(Think the American sentiment to Muslims/Arabs currently)

Galia has that innocent, "bright eyes" aura. She's never seen someone die and the most shooting she's seen is on the news or in movies, which may be a drawback in a squad of mercenaries.
By any means necessary. Call me URA
Winner of 2015 Best of P2TM Awards: Best Roleplayer - War
"I would much rather be with you than against you, you're way too imaginative."
"URA New Confucius 2015."- Organized States
"Congrats. You just won the second place prize for Not Giving a Fuck. First Place, of course, always goes to Furry."
"He's an 8 Ball, DEN. You can't deal with an 8 Ball." - Empire of Donner land
"This Rp is flexible with science and so will you." - Tagali Federation
"I'm confused as to your tactic but I'll trust you." - Die erworbenen Namen
"Unfiltered, concentrated, possibly weaponized stupidity."
Thafoo, Leningrad Union: DEAT'd for your sins.
Discord: Here

The United Remnants of America
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2013
Democratic Socialists

Postby The United Remnants of America » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:47 pm

Hmm... Upsilon is a backwater tech outfit?

Galia's from a backwater planet...

The Rothar's had to get into power somehow. ;)
By any means necessary. Call me URA
Winner of 2015 Best of P2TM Awards: Best Roleplayer - War
"I would much rather be with you than against you, you're way too imaginative."
"URA New Confucius 2015."- Organized States
"Congrats. You just won the second place prize for Not Giving a Fuck. First Place, of course, always goes to Furry."
"He's an 8 Ball, DEN. You can't deal with an 8 Ball." - Empire of Donner land
"This Rp is flexible with science and so will you." - Tagali Federation
"I'm confused as to your tactic but I'll trust you." - Die erworbenen Namen
"Unfiltered, concentrated, possibly weaponized stupidity."
Thafoo, Leningrad Union: DEAT'd for your sins.
Discord: Here

Korva
Negotiator

Postby Korva » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:53 pm

I'll take the Zentradi Foundation:

The rising costs of defense research and development led to the consolidation of companies in the industry. In 20th century there were literally dozens of companies and corporations competing for defense contracts in every field. Consolidation, intended to counter rising costs, gradually whittled this number down. By the beginning of the 21st century, there were roughly a half dozen major contenders in the defense industry.

This process only accelerated with time as inexorable march of progress drove costs ever higher. Massive corporations, such as the Zentradi Foundation, emerged from these circumstances. Chains of partners, subsidiaries, umbrella corporations, and more were all a part of Zentradi. Zentradi, and its partners, manufactured everything from firearms to vaccines to automobiles.

Zentradi directly employs millions, but millions more rely on its products and services. This has given the corporation far ranging control over society, control which is not always benevolent nor beneficial.

Perhaps it was inevitable then that the Zentradi Foundation would use its considerable economic might to pressure, bribe, threaten, and kill its way to the top, after all: money is the root of all evil.

Basically Zentradi is Northrop Grumman, Boeing, BAE, Haliburton, etc all rolled into one. On the surface it merely controls a part of the engineering and designs sectors, but under the table it engages in everything from murder to organ farming to human trafficking.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse