NATION

PASSWORD

THE DEBATABLE LANDS (OOC/Sign-Ups) [Closed]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Reverend Norv
Senator

Founded: Jun 20, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:07 pm

Nationstatelandsville wrote:
Reverend Norv wrote:Dramatis Personae is updated. Now for the relationship tracker. Damn, but this is going to get complicated fast.

Once this closes, one of us should make a family tree.

I think my family descriptions are vastly to inconsistent for that to work, but you're welcome to try.
For really, I think that the poorest he that is in England hath a life to live as the greatest he. And therefore truly, Sir, I think it's clear that every man that is to live under a Government ought first by his own consent to put himself under that Government. And I do think that the poorest man in England is not at all bound in a strict sense to that Government that he hath not had a voice to put himself under.
Col. Thomas Rainsborough, Putney Debates, 1647

A God who let us prove His existence would be an idol.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Nude East Ireland
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nude East Ireland » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:09 pm

Reverend Norv wrote:Dramatis Personae is updated. Now for the relationship tracker. Damn, but this is going to get complicated fast.

Once this closes, one of us should make a family tree.

I considered that.

Then I noticed that the 90-year-old Blind Hamish is Duff's second cousin and decided "fuck that".
Part One of the Incredible, Invincible Team Dai-Zarkeland!

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:11 pm

Nude East Ireland wrote:
Nationstatelandsville wrote:Once this closes, one of us should make a family tree.

I considered that.

Then I noticed that the 90-year-old Blind Hamish is Duff's second cousin and decided "fuck that".

Duff is actually 176.

He's just aged very gently.
"Then I was fertilized and grew wise;
From a word to a word I was led to a word,
From a work to a work I was led to a work."
- Odin, Hávamál 138-141, the Poetic Edda, as translated by Dan McCoy.

I enjoy meta-humor and self-deprecation. Annoying, right?

Goodbye.

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:13 pm

Ah, but Hamish is Duff's second cousin four times removed, which means Hamish is four generations up the family tree from Duff.

But actually, screw it. If two people are fourth cousins, then I'm not even going to try to figure this out. "Distant relation" just became a legitimate family category. I come from a vast Scots-Irish clan in southern Indiana, and God knows that it's the only way I could ever remember most of my kin at Thanksgiving.
For really, I think that the poorest he that is in England hath a life to live as the greatest he. And therefore truly, Sir, I think it's clear that every man that is to live under a Government ought first by his own consent to put himself under that Government. And I do think that the poorest man in England is not at all bound in a strict sense to that Government that he hath not had a voice to put himself under.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:14 pm

Reverend Norv wrote:Ah, but Hamish is Duff's second cousin four times removed, which means Hamish is four generations up the family tree from Duff.

But actually, screw it. If two people are fourth cousins, then I'm not even going to try to figure this out. "Distant relation" just became a legitimate family category. I come from a vast Scots-Irish clan in southern Indiana, and God knows that it's the only way I could ever remember most of my kin at Thanksgiving.

It turns out, Red Duncan isn't even an Elliot; he just got lost one day, and no one noticed.

Goodbye.

Nude East Ireland
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nude East Ireland » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:16 pm

Nude East Ireland wrote:I considered that.

Duff is actually 176.

I'd say he aged gingerly.

Which does not mean "relating to a ginger or flock of gingers".

Reverend Norv wrote:Ah, but Hamish is Duff's second cousin four times removed, which means Hamish is four generations up the family tree from Duff.

There comes a point when every family tree just says "Fuck this, he's just your kinsman". That's the Crusader Kings 2 way.

The Grey Wolf
Post Czar

Founded: May 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grey Wolf » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:17 pm

I think we can all learn a lesson from Robert's story - no matter how buxom a lass is, she ain't worth getting into a fight over. Else you might end up killing someone and be chased off an island by Richard Nixon's ancestors.

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:19 pm

The Grey Wolf wrote:I think we can all learn a lesson from Robert's story - no matter how buxom a lass is, she ain't worth getting into a fight over. Else you might end up killing someone and be chased off an island by Richard Nixon's ancestors.

I believe that was Nixon's environmental policy; "chase pollution away with a sword".

Nude East Ireland wrote:
Nationstatelandsville wrote:Duff is actually 176.

I'd say he aged gingerly.

Which does not mean "relating to a ginger or flock of gingers".

There comes a point when every family tree just says "Fuck this, he's just your kinsman". That's the Crusader Kings 2 way.

Or, when they get so complex, they pull a Plantagenet and just decide to kill each other.

Goodbye.

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:19 pm

The Grey Wolf wrote:I think we can all learn a lesson from Robert's story - no matter how buxom a lass is, she ain't worth getting into a fight over. Else you might end up killing someone and be chased off an island by Richard Nixon's ancestors.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Nude East Ireland
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nude East Ireland » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:20 pm

The Grey Wolf wrote:Richard Nixon's ancestors.

Everywhere I go, Nixon is in the shadows waiting to strike.

Zeinbrad
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Zeinbrad » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:20 pm

I guess I'll be a regular old raider guy. I can't think of much else.

The Grey Wolf
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Grey Wolf » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:22 pm

My great-grandmother married her sixth or seventh cousin.

I can't even keep my modern family up-to-date.

Nude East Ireland
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nude East Ireland » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:24 pm

Zeinbrad wrote:I guess I'll be a regular old raider guy. I can't think of much else.

All you need is a cool name and a gimmick.

Like "Longdick John Elliot" and his handlebar mustache. Or "Big Fither Alistair" and his peg leg.

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:26 pm

I should clarify one point of geneology.

Roger Elliot, the Elliot of Harelaw, had two younger siblings.

One was Mither Lileas; she had four sons. These sons included Four-Fingers Tam, and they were the four Elliots hanged by Walter Scott.

Roger's other younger sibling was Waterbull Johnnie Elliot, so called for his deformed ears. He was the father of Red Duncan and Job, and he was a good father indeed; he died of an infected wound six years ago.

Roger himself had three children, but all three died in infancy, and his wife then miscarried and died herself. It is rumored that he was cursed.

So that gives some structure to the core of the clan, at least.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:27 pm

Nude East Ireland wrote:
Zeinbrad wrote:I guess I'll be a regular old raider guy. I can't think of much else.

Like "Longdick John Elliot" and his handlebar mustache. Or "Big Fither Alistair" and his peg leg.

Or "Fuckwad Stephen" and his complete inability not to ruin everything.

Goodbye.

Zeinbrad
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

THE DEBATABLE LANDS (OOC/Sign-Ups) [Open]

Postby Zeinbrad » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:32 pm

Nude East Ireland wrote:

A priest? But then I'd have to know stuff about whatever religion this guys follow and doctrine.
“There are three ways to ultimate success:
The first way is to be kind.
The second way is to be kind.
The third way is to be kind.”
― Fred Rogers
Currently looking for an artist for a Star Wars fan comic I want to make.

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:33 pm

I think "Fither" was suggested as a nickname, Zein.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Nude East Ireland
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nude East Ireland » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:35 pm

Zeinbrad wrote:
Nude East Ireland wrote:All you need is a cool name and a gimmick.

A priest? But then I'd have to know stuff about whatever religion this guys follow and doctrine.

The long extinct and mysterious way of Protestantism.

Reverend Norv wrote:I think "Fither" was suggested as a nickname, Zein.

This is true.

Zeinbrad
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Zeinbrad » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:37 pm

A strip of land between two ridges?

I want to say it's an old way of saying father.
― Fred Rogers

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:42 pm

Nude East Ireland wrote:
Zeinbrad wrote:....

The long extinct and mysterious way of Protestantism.

Mixed with the complete lack of churches to spread anything other than "God, Jesus, don't be an asshat".

Goodbye.

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:44 pm

Zeinbrad wrote:

A strip of land between two ridges?

Yes. Which might be a nickname if a man, say, had lots of children.

Anyway, the Character Relationships are updated. Take a look, and let me know if you see anything that disagrees with you.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:44 pm

Nude East Ireland wrote:The long extinct and mysterious way of Protestantism.

Mixed with the complete lack of churches to spread anything other than "God, Jesus, don't be an asshat".

As Red Duncan says: "We on the Border are pious folk, after our fashion, but we care but little for the squabbles of priests. Our faith is simpler: God brings us onto the Earth, guards us safe in battle, lays us softly in the ground when our time is come. The pope is nothing to us, and the high talkers in Geneva are even less. "

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Zeinbrad
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Zeinbrad » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:46 pm

Reverend Norv wrote:
Zeinbrad wrote:A strip of land between two ridges?

Anyway, the Character Relationships are updated. Take a look, and let me know if you see anything that disagrees with you.

So priest that has a lot of children?
― Fred Rogers

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:47 pm

Zeinbrad wrote:
Reverend Norv wrote:

So priest that has a lot of children?

Ha! Well, Catholic priests along the Border did get up to a good deal of mischief, it is true; they didn't care overmuch for rules made in Rome. But look, Zein: it is your character. Make a character that you feel comfortable RPing, that you can understand and for which you are willing to do the research. That is the only advice I can give you.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

The Grey Wolf
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Grey Wolf » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:51 pm

Reverend Norv wrote:
Zeinbrad wrote:So priest that has a lot of children?

Ha! Well, Catholic priests along the Border did get up to a good deal of mischief, it is true; they didn't care overmuch for rules made in Rome. But look, Zein: it is your character. Make a character that you feel comfortable RPing, that you can understand and for which you are willing to do the research. That is the only advice I can give you.

Reminds me of the Buddhist monks and priests in Japan and China who would go on trysts with girls and get married.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse