NATION

PASSWORD

Personification Life OOC IX [CLOSED]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:42 pm

Monfrox wrote:
Giovenith wrote:When it comes to crazy stuff, I think people are just concerned that they'll wind up going too far and wrecking something.

A lot of the early stuff we've run we've gotten in over our heads and realized it way too late.

Talking would help.
Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart. -Khalil Gibran
Cut red tape with the Red Book / Bureaucracy is a system - #ApplyTNI / Think globally, act locally
At fifteen, I set my heart on learning. At thirty, I was firmly established. At forty, I had no more doubts. At fifty, I knew the will of heaven. At sixty, I was ready to listen to it. At seventy, I could follow my heart's desire without transgressing what was right. ~Analects, 2:4
I wear teal, blue, pink, and red for Swith.
mumblemumblemumble

Bone Fort
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Bone Fort » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:49 pm

Mountains out of molehills.

Look at how many people that have left this thread, people thought crucial to PL, and look at how PL is still here. You've lost me, Dab, Tsu, Mon, Drone, Urran, and so many others, and while some came back, there was no guarantee that they would. And yet, the thread still stands.

Swith is not abandoning you. She just no longer has the time nor energy to put into running PL. It's wearing her out. She'll still be here to answer TGs and participate in other RPs with you all, just like I am (not that any of you ever take me up on that offer, but that's beside the point). Swith loves you guys, I'm certain. But from what I gather, the stress is eating her alive and she can't put up with it any more.

This is not the end of PL unless YOU want it, not me, not Swith, not anyone else. You guys. This is merely a passing of the torch.
Last edited by Bone Fort on Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Me summed up in one sentence.

I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.

The BranRiech
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 24, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The BranRiech » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:55 pm

Giovenith wrote:When it comes to crazy stuff, I think people are just concerned that they'll wind up going too far and wrecking something.

That's why I sort of liked PL back when there were less restrictions, less details to worry about.

Cerillium
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 27, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Cerillium » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:08 pm

Bone Fort wrote:Mountains out of molehills.

Look at how many people that have left this thread, people thought crucial to PL, and look at how PL is still here. You've lost me, Dab, Tsu, Mon, Drone, Urran, and so many others, and while some came back, there was no guarantee that they would. And yet, the thread still stands.

Swith is not abandoning you. She just no longer has the time nor energy to put into running PL. It's wearing her out. She'll still be here to answer TGs and participate in other RPs with you all, just like I am (not that any of you ever take me up on that offer, but that's beside the point). Swith loves you guys, I'm certain. But from what I gather, the stress is eating her alive and she can't put up with it any more.

This is not the end of PL unless YOU want it, not me, not Swith, not anyone else. You guys. This is merely a passing of the torch.

They haven't decided if they want it passed (meaning some have stated they're fine with me as OP but others haven't voiced up yet).

It's all up to them. I'm fine with their choice.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man’s fears, and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination.

The BranRiech
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The BranRiech » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:09 pm

Cer. Let me just say that I adore you as our OP. *Nods*

Fvaarniimar
Minister

Founded: Nov 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Fvaarniimar » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:21 pm

Oh! Better sound off. I'm fine with Cer as OP. In all honesty I would have found Tinnel's farewell to arms a bit excessive had he been willing to calmly and politely explain his point of view, but his apparent IRC actions were not cool, the info was on the RMB, etc, and hence I feel that his taking a break is appropriate, although he is welcome in anything that I end up (completely) running unless he crosses the line; how else, after all, does one learn, save by doing? Anyway, even were this not the case, I would likely stand by the OPs in general, and, with Swith's departure, Cer specifically. You don't seem to have steered us wrong thus far, after all.

Furthermore, I have a busy schedule, I've made some mistakes which could have been bad had they not been nipped in the bud quickly, and I'm not expert on that many things, but if you need me, I am here, and I am willing to put in my time and effort - that which I have available - to make this work.
Come to the light side.  We have teamwork, waffles, popcorn, grape juice, and way too much ramen.

Unless one is a genealogist, therapist, geneticist, or FBI agent - who is acting within the scope of their job - to claim that anyone is wrong about their own identity is not merely absurd but also extremely rude.

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:22 pm

Cer for President-King-Emperor-Man-Guro-Big Kahuna of all OP's everywhere forever from now until the end of time. And after that.
⟡ and in time, and in time, we will all be stars ⟡
she/her

Torsiedelle
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Torsiedelle » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:26 pm

Oi, I'd be lost without our OP. I'm still freaked out.

I've already stated that I want our OPs to stay. I can't adapt to change well.
Rostavykhan is my Second Nation.
⋘EXCELSIOR⋙
To Cool For School

Cerillium
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Cerillium » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:29 pm

Thanks, Bran and Gio and all. :p

The BranRiech wrote:

That's why I sort of liked PL back when there were less restrictions, less details to worry about.

There are only a few restrictions. These were put in place to stop bickering and bitterness between players.

1. Don't slaughter or mutilate the citizens. (People got pissed at Prim)
2. Don't bring in armies. (People got pissed at Tsu, Bran)
3. ASK before breaking in to apartments. (People got pissed at IJ, Dab, Tsu)
4. No graphic sexual-in-nature things. Fade to black early. (People got pissed at Mon)
5. Rape is taboo.
6. Don't change the city's stuff without permission. (People got pissed every time a new element was added, subtracted, destroyed, humped, licked or warped. "That was my idea!" "I don't want that." "We aren't in Japan.")
7. Save earth-shattering events for the weekends. (Every Drone invasion caused people to tailspin because they thought Dani would destroy the setting forever. Bones and Swith weren't able to sort shit during the week)

The limits were there because people were too immature back then. They didn't want to respect anyone else's stuff. We could lift them but I think they still serve a good purpose.

Except #4 and #5. Those are my rules. I'm not a minor. I don't want to be held accountable just because I run a thread that depicts sexual relations between an adult and a minor, or opens up the door to hurt by having an adult and a minor player engaging in sexually-explicit behaviors IC. It's why Marcus will never go to bed with Gio or Bran's characters (unless it's to cuddle or sleep). NS TOS allows NS to wipe their hands of any responsibility. A minor player's mother complains and NS won't protect me. I did nothing wrong; you all posted, not me; my career is tanked because I'm associated with an online sex crime.

I hate my job. I love my career. No graphic sex for you!
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man’s fears, and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination.

The BranRiech
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The BranRiech » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:31 pm

Well, I meant more of the whole restrictions on other things, like no player run things anymore. I feel like PL used to thrive on badly-run player things, instead of now when we have . . . Well, basically nothing happening at all anymore.

Torsiedelle
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Torsiedelle » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:37 pm

I love having club event with the teens, and big social events for everyone. I really like the ides of another ball/dance.

I also like the bad player events, for the lolz, as well as OP events. In either words, I love the socializing as well as adventure. That's what makes me love PL. It's not all about one story, and it's not bland Slice of Life. Every character is actually alive.

I'm cool the the restrictions, but I also like to see characters being more active in shenanigans again. Why not have some characters be feared again, or have the apartment become "that place" again?
⋘EXCELSIOR⋙
To Cool For School

Cerillium
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Cerillium » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:39 pm

The BranRiech wrote:Well, I meant more of the whole restrictions on other things, like no player run things anymore. I feel like PL used to thrive on badly-run player things, instead of now when we have . . . Well, basically nothing happening at all anymore.

Mini-stories are perfectly fine. Always have been (unless we're gearing up for Christmas on the island etc but that's broadcast in the OOC beforehand).

We used to allow anything. Then we had one too many badly ending invasions (as in all of them ended with TG floods to Swith). We decided people needed to plan before invading because so many were new to RP. Everyone wanted to invade. Some players were trying to be villains (Urran's character was one of those). Players were asked to run their stories by me so I could tell them if those stories would conflict with something another player was running.

Stories = major events. Freeform (what we have in the IC right now) is "classic PL" time. Go nuts but don't break the basic restrictions I posted above. Look at what NVE does. The garden, the house, the way Gretta behaved, the funny subplots involving his characters. He's still doing zany PL, but a more adult version of it.

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:43 pm

I think the restrictions themselves are just fine, it's simply the outlook of the people. I'm not exactly sure right now how to change that, but I'm sure we can think of something.

Well, you guys know me, I can pull almost anything out of thin air when needed. Whether or not it leads to something substantial is a roll of the dice. For example, the spider thing was crazy and off the top of my head, and could have easily just been a one-off incident, but it did wind up leading to Brit and Willow becoming friends.
she/her

Torsiedelle
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Torsiedelle » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:43 pm

I doubt I could run a good story, but subplot things....

What about bringing in random one time NPC's for things like that? I have a thought, and I'll give it a shot later.

Also, I love teen club stuff. I just like the teenagers' interactions.

And monsters...
⋘EXCELSIOR⋙
To Cool For School

The BranRiech
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The BranRiech » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:47 pm

Torsiedelle wrote:I doubt I could run a good story, but subplot things....

What about bringing in random one time NPC's for things like that? I have a thought, and I'll give it a shot later.

Also, I love teen club stuff. I just like the teenagers' interactions.

And monsters...

I honestly still think that one of the best moments of character interaction I've had in PL ever was when Torii lost a few screws and kidnapped Bran and Natiya. That was awesome.

Cerillium
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Cerillium » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:48 pm

Outlook is everything, Gio's right.

I enjoy teen club, BTW. It's relaxing and fun to write.

Random NPCs. These normally would be fine as long as I have some sort of heads up first. It also depends on the NPC. Having Satan waltz through town is just as bad as having a sith lord do the same. Players - new-to-RP players - have a bad habit of godmoddery when allowed to invent their NPCs.

Torsiedelle
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Torsiedelle » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:51 pm

Oh, I remember when that was me...

If only I had a time machine and a literature book...and my Louisville Slugger.

I can TG the idea to someone. Is that okay?
⋘EXCELSIOR⋙
To Cool For School

Fvaarniimar
Minister

Founded: Nov 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Fvaarniimar » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:52 pm

I'm cool with four and five. I would have issues with it, and the parental unit (not aware of NS) insisted on my leaving a different community with no notice over something along those lines.

I think Bran has a point. On the other hand, when I tried my hand at an event, it turned out to be badly-run, and not something which should have actually been one; it might have resulted in PL being in critical condition had Cer not stepped in.

Can we figure out a procedure which permits totally spontaneous, no-warning (non-earthshattering on weekdays!) events without putting PL at risk of stalling as opposed to stagnation?

I think I understand where you guys are coming from with the 'free form' bit. Maybe that needs to be clarified. It's much too easy to interpret this as, "We have nothing to do right now, so... Um... Chatter randomishly and hope character development or something worthwhile happens?" as opposed to "You get to be zany! Go have fun NVE-style!"

Frankly, that's how I've interpreted it.

Furthermore, PL is losing quite a few characters, at least temporarily. I'm not going to even pretend that mine can replace them. But maybe they can help, and hence Rmwtyliin and Kwa'a, character ideas that I've held off on for various reasons, are getting apped by this time on Sunday if that's alright.

Lastly - I think maybe a brief break would be good while we work this out. Hence, I'm suggesting that we move up Dead Serious, or at least not delay it. It, I believe, will likely help stimulate our creativity, and inspire us all to pull together.
Come to the light side.  We have teamwork, waffles, popcorn, grape juice, and way too much ramen.

Unless one is a genealogist, therapist, geneticist, or FBI agent - who is acting within the scope of their job - to claim that anyone is wrong about their own identity is not merely absurd but also extremely rude.

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:01 pm

I enjoy Teen Club as well, quite. I like Gio started off as being something of the Tagalong Kid of the main cast, but now actually has age-appropriate interactions.

I remember there was once a brief OOC joke about convincing one of Warp's characters that my pony was a sith lord. I still don't get it.

Going on what Fvaar said, I think that's why it's important to A) Do what Swith and Cer have said before, plan out goals and long-term stories for our characters, and B) What I said, be open about offering ideas to other players involving them. I feel like that would lead to more of people actually doing stuff.
she/her

TotallyNotEvilLand
Senator

Founded: May 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby TotallyNotEvilLand » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:04 pm

Wait, did I get kicked out again?

EDIT:

Oh, god.

I didn't intend to make two people quit over my temper tantrum.
Last edited by TotallyNotEvilLand on Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liquid Wallaby Characters, Updated 4/27 (Rough sketches for Creezul and Kehelli are completed)
If you use the term SJW or 'politically correct' to describe anyone left of center, I'm pretty sure that destroys all of your credibility as an intelligent human being. Quit being a twit and use something other than a buzzword to make your point.
A Moderately-Talented But Very Unreliable Roleplayer
Current flag is Frisk's Unamused Face

Cerillium
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Cerillium » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:05 pm

Fvaarniimar wrote:I'm cool with four and five. I would have issues with it, and the parental unit (not aware of NS) insisted on my leaving a different community with no notice over something along those lines.

I think Bran has a point. On the other hand, when I tried my hand at an event, it turned out to be badly-run, and not something which should have actually been one; it might have resulted in PL being in critical condition had Cer not stepped in.

Can we figure out a procedure which permits totally spontaneous, no-warning (non-earthshattering on weekdays!) events without putting PL at risk of stalling as opposed to stagnation?

I think I understand where you guys are coming from with the 'free form' bit. Maybe that needs to be clarified. It's much too easy to interpret this as, "We have nothing to do right now, so... Um... Chatter randomishly and hope character development or something worthwhile happens?" as opposed to "You get to be zany! Go have fun NVE-style!"

Frankly, that's how I've interpreted it.

Furthermore, PL is losing quite a few characters, at least temporarily. I'm not going to even pretend that mine can replace them. But maybe they can help, and hence Rmwtyliin and Kwa'a, character ideas that I've held off on for various reasons, are getting apped by this time on Sunday if that's alright.

Lastly - I think maybe a brief break would be good while we work this out. Hence, I'm suggesting that we move up Dead Serious, or at least not delay it. It, I believe, will likely help stimulate our creativity, and inspire us all to pull together.

Freeform is always supposed to be "buh bye boys, have fun storming the castle" antics instead of boring chat. We've had a few awesome ones. NA's 'flag' story was my favorite although I wasn't able to participate. Gio's spider. The fairy thing. Good improv.

Dead Serious is a major story and not something I can do right now. I was going to do a mini-creepfest last night but the drama had me hopping between bombing and calming people.

Things were easier back when one day RL was one day PL. :lol2:

@Torsi. Would love to hear them.

The New Velociraptor Empire
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Velociraptor Empire » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:11 pm

Cerillium wrote:
The BranRiech wrote:Well, I meant more of the whole restrictions on other things, like no player run things anymore. I feel like PL used to thrive on badly-run player things, instead of now when we have . . . Well, basically nothing happening at all anymore.

Mini-stories are perfectly fine. Always have been (unless we're gearing up for Christmas on the island etc but that's broadcast in the OOC beforehand).

We used to allow anything. Then we had one too many badly ending invasions (as in all of them ended with TG floods to Swith). We decided people needed to plan before invading because so many were new to RP. Everyone wanted to invade. Some players were trying to be villains (Urran's character was one of those). Players were asked to run their stories by me so I could tell them if those stories would conflict with something another player was running.

Stories = major events. Freeform (what we have in the IC right now) is "classic PL" time. Go nuts but don't break the basic restrictions I posted above. Look at what NVE does. The garden, the house, the way Gretta behaved, the funny subplots involving his characters. He's still doing zany PL, but a more adult version of it.

Yes, I do off the wall stuff that is designed to be unintrusive. My Raptor-vasion plans were made on the assumption that they have to fail which why it was so easy. I like writing villains, I just know that at the end of the day the heroes are going to have to beat the shit out of my characters and all damage needs a "reverse the polarity" switch. Raptor-vasion 2 is on a very slow boil and not set in stone as the right time never comes to enact it and nobody is investigating it.

I try to keep that original spirit with my characters even though now they are bigger than planned. The power at their clawtips is greater than it has ever been, and they spend their time drinking and making conversation. I find that really funny, but it may be time to flex those muscles a bit as that hasn't happened in a long while.

I just need something new to do, done time travel, done parallel universes, did a heist, did a prison escape, sorta did one mystery. Still have the murder-mystery unsolved.

TotallyNotEvilLand
Senator

Founded: May 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby TotallyNotEvilLand » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:11 pm

It seems whenever a community falls apart I'm always involved in it... I should probably stop getting involved with things, I'm a walking tsunami, it'd seem...
Liquid Wallaby Characters, Updated 4/27 (Rough sketches for Creezul and Kehelli are completed)
If you use the term SJW or 'politically correct' to describe anyone left of center, I'm pretty sure that destroys all of your credibility as an intelligent human being. Quit being a twit and use something other than a buzzword to make your point.
A Moderately-Talented But Very Unreliable Roleplayer
Current flag is Frisk's Unamused Face

Cerillium
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Cerillium » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:18 pm

TNEL:
Words have an effect, for good or for bad. Temper tantrums aimed at people won't solve anything. Temper tantrums aimed at a much-loved PL participant will result in OP rancor.

We had a major NS event yesterday. No time could be spared to settle the "PL status" thing although your appeal was noted the first time. Unbeknownst to you, some of us were extremely tied up with the event (we have more than one nation outside of PL/TAB and hold positions in other regions or else were part of a task force). One CoOP (the region founder) gave it her best shot. I didn't find out the circumstances regarding the IRC until tonight.

It's up to the group to decide. Some will instantly grant a second chance. Some will take offense at your inability to see anything but your own desires, and others will be angry because of what was said to Swith.

I'm not a guidance councilor and I don't possess Swith's ability to clearly see into behaviors. I'm too Eastern in thought to be of help. I can tell you that you tend to wear blinders. You fail to see the bigger picture when something you enjoy is compromised. You become aggressive and bristle. Those are natural behaviors. However, lashing out and badgering, bullying or making extremely negative statements only compounds the problem.

The Carlisle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Carlisle » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:22 pm

Plant experiments gone wrong!

Mayhem in the apartment!

Will the building dwellers successfully put down the raging plats or with they all be turned into the opposite gender?!

Kale's Accident: Oh God Not Again!

Coming to a theater near you!
Call me Carly
Gayism enabler
Trans Girl
Radical Anti-Radical Feminist Feminist
S.W.I.F: Sex Worker Inclusionary Feminist.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse