NATION

PASSWORD

Personification Life OOC IX [CLOSED]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:54 pm

Giovenith wrote:Finishing up my vid, will be uploading it soon.

Did you upload it?
Last edited by Northwest Slobovia on Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:57 pm

Northwest Slobovia wrote:
Giovenith wrote:Finishing up my vid, will be uploading it soon.

Did you upload it?

It's at 44%, I'll link it when it's full.
⟡ and in time, and in time, we will all be stars ⟡
she/her

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:57 pm

Giovenith wrote:
Northwest Slobovia wrote:Did you upload it?

It's at 44%, I'll link it when it's full.

Danke!

The Carlisle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Carlisle » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:09 pm

I'll get a post up in a moment.
Call me Carly
Gayism enabler
Trans Girl
Radical Anti-Radical Feminist Feminist
S.W.I.F: Sex Worker Inclusionary Feminist.

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:12 pm

Yay Gio!
Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart. -Khalil Gibran
Cut red tape with the Red Book / Bureaucracy is a system - #ApplyTNI / Think globally, act locally
At fifteen, I set my heart on learning. At thirty, I was firmly established. At forty, I had no more doubts. At fifty, I knew the will of heaven. At sixty, I was ready to listen to it. At seventy, I could follow my heart's desire without transgressing what was right. ~Analects, 2:4
I wear teal, blue, pink, and red for Swith.
mumblemumblemumble

Tsuyoi Tekikoku
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tsuyoi Tekikoku » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:21 pm

I think i kinda of killed the scene with Tsu and Torii. I cant think of anything.
Predictably unpredictable and fabulous at the same time!
XA-1MVGLHS
Queen Oberon, our red devil! Click the URL to learn about our Leader!
Edelweiss and Reina, the two previous ones are still alive. None of Tsuyoi Tekikoku's leaders are killed in their duels of succession.

I don't use NS stats.

I'd prefer the pronouns she/her,if your referring to me

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:28 pm

Here we go. Hope it's not too "Um um so yeah and stuff."
she/her

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:45 pm

Giovenith wrote:Here we go. Hope it's not too "Um um so yeah and stuff."

I find it impressive and full of High Spiritual Consciousness. *nods*
Cut red tape with the Red Book / Bureaucracy is a system - #ApplyTNI / Think globally, act locally
At fifteen, I set my heart on learning. At thirty, I was firmly established. At forty, I had no more doubts. At fifty, I knew the will of heaven. At sixty, I was ready to listen to it. At seventy, I could follow my heart's desire without transgressing what was right. ~Analects, 2:4
mumblemumblemumble

Fvaarniimar
Minister

Founded: Nov 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Fvaarniimar » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:47 pm

Fvaarniimar wrote:Just so you all know, I'll be completely off from about 2.5 to 7.25 hr from now. Also, Mon, if you'd add Kwa'a to the Really 700 Years Old list (given that she is after all 5.05 times that age and appears to be thirtysomething) at some point, it would be appreciated.

Also, see above - I'm in the same position as Torsi.

To clarify, that means that I'd like to do the same as Torsi. Ask away!
Come to the light side.  We have teamwork, waffles, popcorn, grape juice, and way too much ramen.

Unless one is a genealogist, therapist, geneticist, or FBI agent - who is acting within the scope of their job - to claim that anyone is wrong about their own identity is not merely absurd but also extremely rude.

The BranRiech
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 24, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The BranRiech » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:02 am

Goodnight guys.

And, Gio, did you prepare notes or something? I can barely stay on topic for a minute, and you do it for an entire video? :p

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:02 am

The BranRiech wrote:Goodnight guys.

And, Gio, did you prepare notes or something? I can barely stay on topic for a minute, and you do it for an entire video? :p

I did, actually. You can see them and my binder when I save the computer from my cat. :p
she/her

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:06 am

Gee, now I know what some of my playmates look like and sound like. No video from me: wrong camera gear for that. But I look kinda like:

:{)}

Yeah, my beard is going grey. I'm ancient.

Monfrox
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 25, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Monfrox » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:17 am

Okay, guess I'll try doin' mine as well. TANGENT TIME!
Gama Best Horror/Thriller RP 2015 Sequel
Xing wrote:Yeah but you also are the best at roleplay. (yay Space Core references) I'm pretty sure a four man tank crew is no problem for someone that had 27 different RP characters going at one time.

The Grey Wolf wrote:Froxy knows how to use a whip, I speak from experience.

Winner of the P2TM 2013 Best Fight Scene in a Single Post and Most Original Character, and 2015 Best Horror/Thriller Role-player awards.
Achievement

Tsuyoi Tekikoku
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tsuyoi Tekikoku » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:18 am

Monfrox wrote:Okay, guess I'll try doin' mine as well. TANGENT TIME!

Yes! i get to hear your voice!
Predictably unpredictable and fabulous at the same time!
XA-1MVGLHS
Queen Oberon, our red devil! Click the URL to learn about our Leader!
Edelweiss and Reina, the two previous ones are still alive. None of Tsuyoi Tekikoku's leaders are killed in their duels of succession.

I don't use NS stats.

I'd prefer the pronouns she/her,if your referring to me

TotallyNotEvilLand
Senator

Founded: May 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby TotallyNotEvilLand » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:11 am

Wait, why are we doing videos? I'm all about shoving my face into everything.
Liquid Wallaby Characters, Updated 4/27 (Rough sketches for Creezul and Kehelli are completed)
If you use the term SJW or 'politically correct' to describe anyone left of center, I'm pretty sure that destroys all of your credibility as an intelligent human being. Quit being a twit and use something other than a buzzword to make your point.
A Moderately-Talented But Very Unreliable Roleplayer
Current flag is Frisk's Unamused Face

Mincaldenteans
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Mincaldenteans » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:26 am

TotallyNotEvilLand wrote:Wait, why are we doing videos? I'm all about shoving my face into everything.

Its voice or vid memes on your characters. Its pretty open ended in subject though, you can ask for others to broach topics about your chars or you can talk about your plans/goals for them and how PL may be the place to achieve said goals.

TotallyNotEvilLand
Senator

Founded: May 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby TotallyNotEvilLand » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:27 am

Mincaldenteans wrote:
TotallyNotEvilLand wrote:Wait, why are we doing videos? I'm all about shoving my face into everything.

Its voice or vid memes on your characters. Its pretty open ended in subject though, you can ask for others to broach topics about your chars or you can talk about your plans/goals for them and how PL may be the place to achieve said goals.

Voice memes on my characters...? Sounds interesting.
Liquid Wallaby Characters, Updated 4/27 (Rough sketches for Creezul and Kehelli are completed)
If you use the term SJW or 'politically correct' to describe anyone left of center, I'm pretty sure that destroys all of your credibility as an intelligent human being. Quit being a twit and use something other than a buzzword to make your point.
A Moderately-Talented But Very Unreliable Roleplayer
Current flag is Frisk's Unamused Face

Germanic Templars
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 01, 2011
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Germanic Templars » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:50 am

Good morning, PL. Today's military related video is brought you by the frustration of your local recruiters.

• INTP
  • All American Patriotic Constitutionalist/Classic libertarian (with fiscal conservatism)
  • Religiously Tolerant
  • Roman Catholic
  • Hoplophilic/ammosexual
  • X=3.13, Y=2.41
  • Supports the Blue

I support Capitalism do you? If so, put this in your sig.

XY = Male, XX = Female

Cerillium
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 27, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Cerillium » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:44 am

Will update video list today. We could possibly move to new OOC thread early. Much chaos in store IRL this week. Simpler to do it now.

I'll post the box/instructions to indicate transfer time.

@Gio. Sounds like our house. Thugalee thudalee thud. Swith's cat and my Pomeranian never give it a rest.
Last edited by Cerillium on Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man’s fears, and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination.

Mincaldenteans
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Mincaldenteans » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:27 am

>_>

<_<

^_^

-tacklehugs Tilt-

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:39 am

Mincaldenteans wrote:>_>

<_<

^_^

-tacklehugs Tilt-

-oofs!- Hi there Min!

>_>

<_<

o_o

^_^
mumblemumblemumble

Monfrox
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 25, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Monfrox » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:32 pm

Gama Best Horror/Thriller RP 2015 Sequel
Xing wrote:Yeah but you also are the best at roleplay. (yay Space Core references) I'm pretty sure a four man tank crew is no problem for someone that had 27 different RP characters going at one time.

The Grey Wolf wrote:Froxy knows how to use a whip, I speak from experience.

Winner of the P2TM 2013 Best Fight Scene in a Single Post and Most Original Character, and 2015 Best Horror/Thriller Role-player awards.
Achievement

Cerillium
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Cerillium » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:01 pm

I gave some thought to making a video in my native language and using subtitles but I realized every weeaboo on NS would flock to my doorstep. By virtue of my Mentor jacket, I'm bound to be polite; "fuck off" is not an acceptable response now. :p

MENTOR COMMENTARY SANS VIDEO:

A note on character creation and portrayal:
We hear two different approaches in the videos. The first was to distance yourself from your character; the second was to pour a bit of yourself in.

Agy made a strong point: players that fashion characters similar to themselves often run afoul in emotional matters. The player can become offended if that character is despised or hated.

Swith's approach is "Play what you know".

There are some actors that still use classical training in theatre. They engage in something called "character analysis" which then transfers to how they portray the character in each scene. They research things their character knows or has experience in. Regardless, their character will always have a spark of themselves in it.

I don't recommend the Swith Approach to RP beginners or intermediates. Swith's Neste is an embodiment of Swith's own experiences but she draws upon those negative experiences to flesh out the character rather than as a means to portray herself through Neste. Distance exists between her emotions/personality and the character's. Swith's RPed a long time and, as a veteran, she's detached from Neste. Neste could fall in love with Amara because Neste loves FUBAR but it's crafting a story rather than the player using the opportunity to boost her ego.

Giovenith shares many qualities with Gio, especially a love for art. Giovenith has recently become wise rather than floating around in a daze. Gio pours her own wisdom into Giovenith, telling characters how things are while pointing out how things can change. Gio and Giovenith are not the same person nor is Giovenith a shell for Gio to act out her fantasies.

Marcus shares traits with me. His awkwardness is a reflection of my own when I was his age. I draw upon past experiences when I have him interact with Giovenith. His puppy love is typical of the sort guys experience when we're still young, innocent, and stupid. His father is never there for him; my father was absent in my life. I use my memory to breathe life into Marcus' conflicts.

Ceril is a bastard. We share many traits. I'd rather focus on work. I'm addicted to it. Ceril reflects that. Ceril has a temper. I have a temper. Ceril has little patience for stupid people. Ditto. That's where the similarities end. Ceril hardly laughs, and never laughs at Naomi's nonsense. I laugh my ass off when Swith does silly things IRL. I'm toying with calling him by given name rather than "Ceril" to further distinguish between player and character. We aren't in PL Classic anymore.

Character Shipping:
Too often, we have PL characters shipping. All effort is put into it. Players live vicariously through their characters. Some even resort to cybering out what occurs during a fade to black. This isn't distancing yourself from a character. It's abusing the character to satisfy personal wants. It's fleeting and that fact is obvious as characters achieve their goal and then grow apart. We never see much development beyond that.

Relationships are complex. They should tell a story that's engaging and promotes character development.

Case in point: Hans and Chrys. He accomplished his goal and bedded her. She didn't move in instantly nor do they spend all their time cuddling. They have lives apart from each other. His move to ask her to dwell with him is a typical step in the relationship process. Tilt and Swith's character romance story is active. It affects their character's actions. Chrys' request to have a private chat is based on a woman's intuition. Something is wrong and she realizes it. Hans has previously alluded to brewing trouble.

Swith posted a scene from an old RP (it's a few pages back now). Ocho and Nila. Gruff, obese Ocho was in love with chirpy Nila. The lizard was in love with whatever food he had in his hands. Running gag. She slept in a basket at the foot of his bed most of the time. The unrequited love and absolute longing shaped his personality and affected his actions. Nila, oblivious to his emotional state, did her typical Nila thang. Constructs enjoy expressing affection much like a cat rubbing ankles. It was a torment to him. Every chirp and head tilt was a zing that boosted his heart. We ran them almost a year and the closest he got to sleeping with her was her preference to curl up and sleep on his ample stomach because it was warm. It's an example of ways two characters can be close without the need for intercourse.

Current events:
We have several examples going on IC, one of them being the Chrys/Hans bond confirmation. I touched upon it above. It's believable in print.

We have two apartment scenes were characters are sequestered. These usually lead to typical PL shipping. Note the differences:

Neste/Sep - plot advancement, establishment of trust between friends
I've counted six opportunities for the characters to break character in order to fall into the typical PL ship. The players haven't. The players are focused on establishing Sept's frailty as parts fail, but also the fact that Neste is limited in function without carpules as well as a social fiddlehead bopping back and forth with emotions and demeanor.

Every time I think the scene is going to go one way, it goes the other. It's a mind fuck.

They've established that Neste is typical of her sisters. She hugs if she trusts. We see that Sep isn't huggy but, through flashback, we realize he's not cold and heartless.

They established that Rodney won't give Neste access to things that could potentially turn dangerous. Sep has alluded to genocide in prior posts yet he stands firm in conviction regarding liberty and freedom for constructed, self-aware beings.

When I last left the story, Neste was on the floor. I thought the cat would knock the biscuits down, thereby aiding Neste, and that would turn into a friendship between cat and construct. It would establish Sentia more as a character. Swith thought that too, but Agy had Sep came home. Chipper Sep, let's make dinner. Perfect play off the corpse in the fridge. It also established that Sep is either fairly clueless about construct needs or else detests the thought of "handler".

It paved the way towards furthering Sep's quest. They've established more canon: Sep revealed his plans. He also has the tail but now he has the means. Will he take up the offer? Who knows. Like I said, mind fuck. He might remain stubborn in a desire to do it his way using his own tech.

Both characters have endearing qualities despite their appearances/tech. Were this a typical PL attempt to ship, we would have seen Neste (in an extremely sexually attractive form) use her appearance as a means to flirt (break from true character) or perhaps Sep would have acted upon several opportunities (break from true character).

It's an enjoyable read. We're seeing the friendship and trust develop in quirky fashion.

Kale/Toscha - heavy handed ship attempt
They've gone to Toscha's apartment. We have giggles. More giggles. Hot cocoa. We don't see any depth nor any reason for either character to be attracted to each other. This is because the characters themselves are not developed. They're still 2D. If they hook up, the characters will remain 2D. It's becoming a painful read. It's a blatant and heavy handed attempt to ship them into a sexual romance and label it "love" rather than establishing any common bond or friendship, or furthering a plot or establishing canon.

Carly, please put effort into your posts. I know you're capable. Your plant attacks were well rounded. Bran presented an opportunity by having Toscha's scales tremble as he recalled things.

Bran, nice post. Toscha is an interesting character. He deserves to be fleshed out.

OP note on sloppy/shallow ships
There is such a thing as permadead in PL. I was very serious last year when I said I'd find reasons to kill off shallow ships that hinder growth and make our eyes bleed. The rest of us hate reading pointless cuddles and coos. I have no tolerance for F7 antics. Killing one partner spares our eyes but also gives the other partner a reason to grow. Look at what Torsi did with Torii once Yoshi was gone. Torsi's character exploded into a 3D person.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man’s fears, and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:05 pm

Cerillium wrote:MENTOR COMMENTARY SANS VIDEO:

A note on character creation and portrayal:
We hear two different approaches in the videos. The first was to distance yourself from your character; the second was to pour a bit of yourself in.

Agy made a strong point: players that fashion characters similar to themselves often run afoul in emotional matters. The player can become offended if that character is despised or hated.

Swith's approach is "Play what you know".

There are some actors that still use classical training in theatre. They engage in something called "character analysis" which then transfers to how they portray the character in each scene. They research things their character knows or has experience in. Regardless, their character will always have a spark of themselves in it.

I don't recommend the Swith Approach to RP beginners or intermediates. Swith's Neste is an embodiment of Swith's own experiences but she draws upon those negative experiences to flesh out the character rather than as a means to portray herself through Neste. Distance exists between her emotions/personality and the character's. Swith's RPed a long time and, as a veteran, she's detached from Neste. Neste could fall in love with Amara because Neste loves FUBAR but it's crafting a story rather than the player using the opportunity to boost her ego.

Giovenith shares many qualities with Gio, especially a love for art. Giovenith has recently become wise rather than floating around in a daze. Gio pours her own wisdom into Giovenith, telling characters how things are while pointing out how things can change. Gio and Giovenith are not the same person nor is Giovenith a shell for Gio to act out her fantasies.

Marcus shares traits with me. His awkwardness is a reflection of my own when I was his age. I draw upon past experiences when I have him interact with Giovenith. His puppy love is typical of the sort guys experience when we're still young, innocent, and stupid. His father is never there for him; my father was absent in my life. I use my memory to breathe life into Marcus' conflicts.

Ceril is a bastard. We share many traits. I'd rather focus on work. I'm addicted to it. Ceril reflects that. Ceril has a temper. I have a temper. Ceril has little patience for stupid people. Ditto. That's where the similarities end. Ceril hardly laughs, and never laughs at Naomi's nonsense. I laugh my ass off when Swith does silly things IRL. I'm toying with calling him by given name rather than "Ceril" to further distinguish between player and character. We aren't in PL Classic anymore.

Character Shipping:
Too often, we have PL characters shipping. All effort is put into it. Players live vicariously through their characters. Some even resort to cybering out what occurs during a fade to black. This isn't distancing yourself from a character. It's abusing the character to satisfy personal wants. It's fleeting and that fact is obvious as characters achieve their goal and then grow apart. We never see much development beyond that.

Relationships are complex. They should tell a story that's engaging and promotes character development.

Case in point: Hans and Chrys. He accomplished his goal and bedded her. She didn't move in instantly nor do they spend all their time cuddling. They have lives apart from each other. His move to ask her to dwell with him is a typical step in the relationship process. Tilt and Swith's character romance story is active. It affects their character's actions. Chrys' request to have a private chat is based on a woman's intuition. Something is wrong and she realizes it. Hans has previously alluded to brewing trouble.

Swith posted a scene from an old RP (it's a few pages back now). Ocho and Nila. Gruff, obese Ocho was in love with chirpy Nila. The lizard was in love with whatever food he had in his hands. Running gag. She slept in a basket at the foot of his bed most of the time. The unrequited love and absolute longing shaped his personality and affected his actions. Nila, oblivious to his emotional state, did her typical Nila thang. Constructs enjoy expressing affection much like a cat rubbing ankles. It was a torment to him. Every chirp and head tilt was a zing that boosted his heart. We ran them almost a year and the closest he got to sleeping with her was her preference to curl up and sleep on his ample stomach because it was warm. It's an example of ways two characters can be close without the need for intercourse.

OP note on sloppy/shallow ships
There is such a thing as permadead in PL. I was very serious last year when I said I'd find reasons to kill off shallow ships that hinder growth and make our eyes bleed. The rest of us hate reading pointless cuddles and coos. I have no tolerance for F7 antics. Killing one partner spares our eyes but also gives the other partner a reason to grow. Look at what Torsi did with Torii once Yoshi was gone. Torsi's character exploded into a 3D person.

This is actually pretty good advice for RPs in general. Mind if I toss this into the Restaurant and also Book of the Multiverse? (If we still use the latter, not sure where to put RP advice right now).
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Cerillium
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Cerillium » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:07 pm

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:This is actually pretty good advice for RPs in general. Mind if I toss this into the Restaurant and also Book of the Multiverse? (If we still use the latter, not sure where to put RP advice right now).

I'd be honored if you did. Works in either place. I send players to Multiverse and quote from it when they TG.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse