NATION

PASSWORD

Traveller's Cafe 3: Brainstorming, discussion, tea, advice

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Dayganistan
Ambassador

Founded: May 02, 2016
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dayganistan » Wed May 24, 2017 12:28 pm

Tiltjuice wrote:
Dayganistan wrote:While it's a good idea, it's not a particularly good setting for the main antagonist I was thinking of. With all the talk going around of hacking and cyber attacks, I wanted the main antagonist to be a cyber terrorist of sorts. Incredibly wealthy from hacking banks and from selling stolen information to various terrorist groups and rogue states, so while he very well could just be a stereotypical computer nerd, he's able to hire an army of thugs to make things difficult for the player characters.

Cyberattacks, if they're from nation-states and the protags are Western, are probably going to come from Iran, Russia, China, or the DPRK.

The hiring aspect and such might work better with a mercenary hacker. Like PMCs, except not.

That's kind of the idea I was thinking of yes. An antagonist not loyal to a state or a particular ideology, only money and an oversized ego. And it gives players freedom to make pretty much any character they want from almost any country in the world, because anyone could have a problem with a mercenary hacker who's selling his services to whoever will pay.
Republic of Dayganistan | جمهوری دهقانستان

A secular, Tajik dominated state in Central Asia which has experienced 40 years of democratic backsliding. NS stats are NOT used.

Oudland
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Oudland » Wed May 24, 2017 12:31 pm

Talchyon wrote:
Oudland wrote:RP INTEREST AND FEEDBACK REQUEST

RP's Overarching Concept: The Dark Tower Multiverse, Character Development, Adventure
Genre/s: Fantasy, SciFi, Post-Apocalyptic, Western
Character or Faction Based: Character based roleplay
Detailed Description: Explaining the entirety of the Dark Tower series is beyond me. The world is vast, and so is the lore. Here is my attempt at briefly and coherently explaining only some of the lore that is RELEVANT to THIS semi-canon Dark Tower RP:

The land your character inhabits is called Mid-World, one of three sections of the greater Kingdom of All-World, which was united by a legendary figure known as Arthur of Eld. His kingdom has fractured, however, giving rise to an alliance of cities and baronies called the Affiliation who provide aid to even the most far flung baronies of mid-world basically via gunslinging knight-errants. You are one of these gunslingers, a beacon of hope and justice in a world that is slowly falling apart. The capitol for the Affiliation, and these gunslingers, is Gilead. It is from there that you will begin your first quest. (Thinking of adding a sorcerer class, but not sure)

You will begin as a novice gunslinger, part of a small group led by the one who is training you in the art of the gun, diplomacy, and even deception.

The world is filled with mutants, monsters, strange beings, magic both light and dark, and technology left over from an ancient cataclysm caused by beings known as the Great Old Ones, who have since disappeared and faded into near complete obscurity. The only clues left of them is their ancient technology, which was both their greatest transcendental achievement and the harbinger of their extinction.

That is a very basic pitch, and I would be happy to expound on anything I have mentioned for anyone interested in the RP. So please, ask me questions.

Need Help With: Interest, development. I can manage running the roleplay mostly on my own, but I need a Co-OP familiar with the series to help author, organize the lore, and really flesh out the world. This world is huge and very detailed, which is great for players but will be a challenge for an OP/Co-OP. I really want to provide the first (as far as I know) quality, immersive Dark Tower RP.

#Mentorhelp

This is a very cool idea. I read the series (thought the 7th was bizarre and unfulfilling - c'mon, you start everything all again and it's one big giant loop?) But liked the first (especially David the falcon). Loved the 2nd and 3rd (Blaine the Mono was a really terrifying bad guy). 4th was cool 'cause it showed history. 5th was cool, partly because Stephen King wrote it as if it were a medieval tale. 6th was weird, but I kind of saw where he was going with it. and then, the 7th. Bizarre.

I'd offer to be an OP, but I don't know that I have the time right now. Hope it goes well for you though.

Thanks, i've been wanting to give this a try for a while. Hey, if yiu ever have the time and just want to play, keep a look out. I am working on the OOC, just trying to drum up some interest and find a bit of help.
Utopia
New Amerik wrote:...and Barry said, "Let there be no Spam, and let my Mods rule the Forums, that there may be no Spam." And thus the Spam was Locked. And it was Good.

The Red Snow
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 30, 2016
Ex-Nation

Brainstorming

Postby The Red Snow » Wed May 24, 2017 1:15 pm

Well I have had an idea for a Command & Conquer Roleplay, I've never started a RP before so I'm throwing this out here for suggestions or fine-tuning.

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Wed May 24, 2017 3:15 pm

Dayganistan wrote:
Tiltjuice wrote:
Cyberattacks, if they're from nation-states and the protags are Western, are probably going to come from Iran, Russia, China, or the DPRK.

The hiring aspect and such might work better with a mercenary hacker. Like PMCs, except not.

That's kind of the idea I was thinking of yes. An antagonist not loyal to a state or a particular ideology, only money and an oversized ego. And it gives players freedom to make pretty much any character they want from almost any country in the world, because anyone could have a problem with a mercenary hacker who's selling his services to whoever will pay.

Cool idea. Wouldn't mind helping you bounce ideas around if you want.
Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart. -Khalil Gibran
Cut red tape with the Red Book / Bureaucracy is a system - #ApplyTNI / Think globally, act locally
At fifteen, I set my heart on learning. At thirty, I was firmly established. At forty, I had no more doubts. At fifty, I knew the will of heaven. At sixty, I was ready to listen to it. At seventy, I could follow my heart's desire without transgressing what was right. ~Analects, 2:4
I wear teal, blue, pink, and red for Swith.
mumblemumblemumble

Altito Asmoro
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Altito Asmoro » Thu May 25, 2017 6:40 am

I'm in the middle of making Pubsmen RP, it's like Kingsman but we're named after alcohol products. Still in the process, too.
Stormwrath wrote:
Altito Asmoro wrote:You people can call me...AA. Or Alt.
Or Tito.

I'm calling you "non-aligned comrade."

A proud Nationalist
Winner for Best War RP of 2016

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Thu May 25, 2017 8:03 am

Altito Asmoro wrote:I'm in the middle of making Pubsmen RP, it's like Kingsman but we're named after alcohol products. Still in the process, too.

I don't know what Kingsman is.

Looks it up.

no.

Edit: ^ Literally the first thing to come up when I typed 'Kingsman game' into a search engine.
Last edited by Harbertia on Thu May 25, 2017 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
A light in casing is still a light.
Tomorrow is made today.
You can't stop progress, but you can direct it's course.

Locarigi
Civil Servant

Founded: May 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Locarigi » Thu May 25, 2017 8:50 am

Are their any good rps going at the minute? I know like no one here lol. This probably isn't the place to ask is it?

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Thu May 25, 2017 8:53 am

Locarigi wrote:Are their any good rps going at the minute? I know like no one here lol. This probably isn't the place to ask is it?

To a point it is, what type are you looking for and what site did you come from if you dont mind me asking?
✒ I'm a Proud Member of VARSITY ROW! Come check us out! ✒

I'M A MEMBER OF THOUGHT CAFE
WE'RE THE AWESOMEST, COME CHECK US OUT

When i am not being your average Drunk at the Pub, i am the Founder and Headmaster of The Academy. On my off time i am also a Member of the Mechanics Guild. Member of The Council of the Multiverse community. Click me to find out more!

Locarigi
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Locarigi » Thu May 25, 2017 8:55 am

Shadowwell wrote:
Locarigi wrote:Are their any good rps going at the minute? I know like no one here lol. This probably isn't the place to ask is it?

To a point it is, what type are you looking for and what site did you come from if you dont mind me asking?

Well I play a lot of video game nation builders (civilisation etc), and someone on the civ forum mentioned nationStates so I thought I'd give it a look.

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Thu May 25, 2017 9:01 am

Locarigi wrote:
Shadowwell wrote:To a point it is, what type are you looking for and what site did you come from if you dont mind me asking?

Well I play a lot of video game nation builders (civilisation etc), and someone on the civ forum mentioned nationStates so I thought I'd give it a look.

Well P2TM, is not exactly the place if you want to rp with your NS nation, not that that isnt allowed. I cannot recall which forums deal with that, it has been a few years and on a different account since i was last in that side of NS.

Were you wanting a straight Nation/civilization building rp or one where you build but have no control over the creation afterwards, like in some deity/god rps?

When i am not being your average Drunk at the Pub, i am the Founder and Headmaster of The Academy. On my off time i am also a Member of the Mechanics Guild. Member of The Council of the Multiverse community. Click me to find out more!

Locarigi
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Locarigi » Thu May 25, 2017 9:04 am

Shadowwell wrote:
Locarigi wrote:Well I play a lot of video game nation builders (civilisation etc), and someone on the civ forum mentioned nationStates so I thought I'd give it a look.

Well P2TM, is not exactly the place if you want to rp with your NS nation, not that that isnt allowed. I cannot recall which forums deal with that, it has been a few years and on a different account since i was last in that side of NS.

Were you wanting a straight Nation/civilization building rp or one where you build but have no control over the creation afterwards, like in some deity/god rps?

I was thinking like a one character type thing to start with, rping the whole nation sounds harder and more time consuming.

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Thu May 25, 2017 9:08 am

Locarigi wrote:
Shadowwell wrote:Well P2TM, is not exactly the place if you want to rp with your NS nation, not that that isnt allowed. I cannot recall which forums deal with that, it has been a few years and on a different account since i was last in that side of NS.

I was thinking like a one character type thing to start with, rping the whole nation sounds harder and more time consuming.

Usually you just control a character or a handful and describe the changes and stuff. When i get to my pc, i will link to some of the nation rps that have been done. Do you prefer fantasy nation or modern style or even FT/Future Tech rps?

Locarigi
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Locarigi » Thu May 25, 2017 9:11 am

Shadowwell wrote:
Locarigi wrote:I was thinking like a one character type thing to start with, rping the whole nation sounds harder and more time consuming.

Usually you just control a character or a handful and describe the changes and stuff. When i get to my pc, i will link to some of the nation rps that have been done. Do you prefer fantasy nation or modern style or even FT/Future Tech rps?

I don't really know if I want to do a nation-based one, I haven't worked out what I want my nation really to be that's why my issue answers are so weird

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Thu May 25, 2017 9:15 am

Locarigi wrote:
Shadowwell wrote:Usually you just control a character or a handful and describe the changes and stuff. When i get to my pc, i will link to some of the nation rps that have been done. Do you prefer fantasy nation or modern style or even FT/Future Tech rps?

I don't really know if I want to do a nation-based one, I haven't worked out what I want my nation really to be that's why my issue answers are so weird

What type of rps would you be looking for?

There are divided america rps, many fandom rps, a few science fantasy and science fiction and at least one god rp.

The question concerning nation rps was so i know whoch ones to link to give you an idea. You could check the P2TM advert thread to look for an rp or peruse the latest tjreads in P2TM ypurself.

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Thu May 25, 2017 9:31 am

Locarigi wrote:
Shadowwell wrote:Usually you just control a character or a handful and describe the changes and stuff. When i get to my pc, i will link to some of the nation rps that have been done. Do you prefer fantasy nation or modern style or even FT/Future Tech rps?

You don't need to worry about what your Gameside NS nation is like. Lots of folks who do NS nation-based RP's (which you will find in NationStates and International Incidents) create states entirely dissimilar from their Gameside profile. Particularly once said profile says they're a country of tens of billions of people.

Portal to the Multiverse is where you'll find RP's based in the real-world (or altered version of it), or some real-world property like Star Wars, or Harry Potter.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Country of glowing hearts, and patrons of the arts
Help me out
Star spangled madness, united sadness
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Don't shine for swine. - Metric, Soft Rock Star
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Why (Male) Rape Is Hilarious [because it has to be]

Locarigi
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Locarigi » Thu May 25, 2017 9:35 am

Camicon wrote:
Locarigi wrote:I don't really know if I want to do a nation-based one, I haven't worked out what I want my nation really to be that's why my issue answers are so weird

You don't need to worry about what your Gameside NS nation is like. Lots of folks who do NS nation-based RP's (which you will find in NationStates and International Incidents) create states entirely dissimilar from their Gameside profile. Particularly once said profile says they're a country of tens of billions of people.

Portal to the Multiverse is where you'll find RP's based in the real-world (or altered version of it), or some real-world property like Star Wars, or Harry Potter.

Their are star wars and harry potter rps?

Talchyon
Negotiator

Founded: May 05, 2016
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Talchyon » Thu May 25, 2017 9:44 am

Locarigi wrote:
Camicon wrote:You don't need to worry about what your Gameside NS nation is like. Lots of folks who do NS nation-based RP's (which you will find in NationStates and International Incidents) create states entirely dissimilar from their Gameside profile. Particularly once said profile says they're a country of tens of billions of people.

There have been a bunch of Star Wars RPs, and I think some are still going on. There's also a pretty long running Harry Potter RP going on right now called Hogwarts. But they accept new characters.

I currently oversee and manage (OP) one of the few comedy RPs, involving superheroes with incredibly lame powers who are out to save the world. And equally lame-powered villains who try to thwart them.

- Talc
The Clockwork Circus - Welcome to a steampunk RP rife with crime, gangs, beggars, and starting off as the lowest of the low, in the lowest socio-economic place there is.

Louisianan wrote:Talchyon has great comedic writing, that is true.

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Thu May 25, 2017 9:49 am

Locarigi wrote:
Camicon wrote:You don't need to worry about what your Gameside NS nation is like. Lots of folks who do NS nation-based RP's (which you will find in NationStates and International Incidents) create states entirely dissimilar from their Gameside profile. Particularly once said profile says they're a country of tens of billions of people.

There is an rp i am in that is a crossover between Star Wars, Halo and Mass Effect in a new Alternate Galaxy.

Dayganistan
Ambassador

Founded: May 02, 2016
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dayganistan » Thu May 25, 2017 10:05 am

Locarigi wrote:

There's RPs based on pretty much anything around here.
Republic of Dayganistan | جمهوری دهقانستان

A secular, Tajik dominated state in Central Asia which has experienced 40 years of democratic backsliding. NS stats are NOT used.

WA 5pb
Political Columnist

Founded: May 16, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby WA 5pb » Thu May 25, 2017 11:24 am

RP INTEREST AND FEEDBACK REQUEST

RP's Overarching Concept:God Eater RP
Genre/s: Post-Apocalyptic, Wartime, Human v. Monster
Character or Faction Based:Character.
Detailed Description: There was a mass recruitment of people who were compatible with the God Arcs to fight the large rise in Aragami. The Far East branch is training all the new God Eaters and putting them into the battle as soon as possible.

Need Help With:I need suggestions on things such as adding more of a backstory, a name, and other ideas that follow the concept that could add on to the RP.

Please leave this hashtag in place: #Mentorhelp

The Land of Golden Blobfish
Ambassador

Founded: May 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Land of Golden Blobfish » Thu May 25, 2017 12:06 pm

RP INTEREST AND FEEDBACK REQUEST
Please provide as much detail as possible.
RP's Overarching Concept: Ragtag team of novice adventurers seeking fame and glory
Genre/s: Adventure, fantasy, action
Character or Faction Based: Character
Detailed Description: More than two decades have passed since the great King Konrad II died, leaving no heir to inherit his throne. When questioned who would lead the kingdom of Wesnoth now, three noble houses stepped up and after months of heated strife, a civil war erupted. Still feeling the damages of the undead invasion half a decade prior, the kingdom's glory and power slowly fade away as the once great people of Wesnoth tear each other apart in this bloody chapter of the world's history.

Meanwhile, in the southern provinces, the small town of Kerloth is the newest victim of pillaging. Barely managing to hold the assault off, the town's council decides to send a small envoy to the capital city of Weldyn to seek protection. However, their travel will suffer some unexpected twists which will eventually send them into the heart of the civil war itself.

Need Help With: Just seeing if there's any interest in this sort of thing.

BOSS NASS : Yousa cannot bees hair. Dis army of mackineeks up dare tis new
weesong!
QUI-GON : That droid army is about to attack the Naboo. We must warn them.
BOSS NASS : Wesa no like da Naboo! Un dey no like uss-ens. Da Naboo tink
day so smarty den us-ens. Day tink day brains so big.
OBI-WAN : After those droids take control of the surface, they will come
here and take control of you.
BOSS NASS : No, mesa no tink so. Mesa scant talkie witda Naboo, and no
nutten talkie it outlaunders. Dos mackineeks no comen here! Dey not know of
uss-en.
OBI-WAN : You and the Naboo form a symbiont circle. What happens to noe of
you will affect the other. You must understand this.
BOSS NASS : Wesa wish no nutten in yousa tings, outlaunder, and wesa no
care-n about da Naboo.

Osnil Returns
Minister

Founded: Feb 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Osnil Returns » Thu May 25, 2017 12:08 pm

The Land of Golden Blobfish wrote:RP INTEREST AND FEEDBACK REQUEST
RP's Overarching Concept: Ragtag team of novice adventurers seeking fame and glory
Detailed Description: More than two decades have passed since the great King Konrad II died, leaving no heir to inherit his throne. When questioned who would lead the kingdom of Wesnoth now, three noble houses stepped up and after months of heated strife, a civil war erupted. Still feeling the damages of the undead invasion half a decade prior, the kingdom's glory and power slowly fade away as the once great people of Wesnoth tear each other apart in this bloody chapter of the world's history.

Meanwhile, in the southern provinces, the small town of Kerloth is the newest victim of pillaging. Barely managing to hold the assault off, the town's council decides to send a small envoy to the capital city of Weldyn to seek protection. However, their travel will suffer some unexpected twists which will eventually send them into the heart of the civil war itself.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH! WESNOTH RP! Can I be Kalenz?
Ancient Ones-1 Justice League, 1 Sith Lord, 1 firebender, 1 nutcase, 1 Pokemon Trainer
There is more science in Grimm's Fairy Tales than in evolution.

Saint Ryvern
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Ryvern » Thu May 25, 2017 12:10 pm

I am very interested in this idea.

Yuzhou
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Yuzhou » Thu May 25, 2017 12:16 pm

And here I was about to begin work on my own fantasy RP due to a stark lack of ones that suite my taste. I'll probably still start, but this is something that could catch my interest, provided the rest of it keeps my attention.
I have been previously known as Apfeldonia and Thimbyrland

Oh way down south in the land of cotton...

Water Earth Fire Air

Osnil Returns
Minister

Founded: Feb 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Osnil Returns » Thu May 25, 2017 1:21 pm

Yuzhou wrote:

And here I was about to begin work on my own fantasy RP due to a stark lack of ones that suite my taste. I'll probably still start, but this is something that could catch my interest, provided the rest of it keeps my attention.

It's actually based on a free Fantasy Strategy Game called Battle for Wesnoth.
Ancient Ones-1 Justice League, 1 Sith Lord, 1 firebender, 1 nutcase, 1 Pokemon Trainer
There is more science in Grimm's Fairy Tales than in evolution.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives