NATION

PASSWORD

Traveller's Cafe 3: Brainstorming, discussion, tea, advice

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:50 pm

Shadowwell wrote:
Kassaran wrote:Well, you could also do something like MiB, have a special organization that runs underneath everything, fits in perfectly everywhere and likewise ensures that identities stay secret for just that purpose. Gives you plenty of redshirts and disposable income from superhero fundraisers for being kept in working order.

There IS a Meta run hero organization, could have a pure government one that keeps track and protects the info and the charactera could just be sworn to secrecy and if they talk they get mobbed by everyone.

Dang man- you could just use the NSA - Nation Supers Agency from the Incredibles as a template. They did a good job to keeping identities a secret for those who desired a secret identity. Sure a super villian hacked thier systems but still.
A light in casing is still a light.
Tomorrow is made today.
You can't stop progress, but you can direct it's course.

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:35 pm

Harbertia wrote:
Shadowwell wrote:There IS a Meta run hero organization, could have a pure government one that keeps track and protects the info and the charactera could just be sworn to secrecy and if they talk they get mobbed by everyone.

Dang man- you could just use the NSA - Nation Supers Agency from the Incredibles as a template. They did a good job to keeping identities a secret for those who desired a secret identity. Sure a super villian hacked thier systems but still.

NO CAPES!!!!

The thing is at Thelrose Academy, the superhero school, everyone will know who your parents are unless you are just a scholarship with no meta parents. I was wanting a system so that a student couldnt just go and release secret identities causethey get angry.
✒ I'm a Proud Member of VARSITY ROW! Come check us out! ✒

I'M A MEMBER OF THOUGHT CAFE
WE'RE THE AWESOMEST, COME CHECK US OUT

When i am not being your average Drunk at the Pub, i am the Founder and Headmaster of The Academy. On my off time i am also a Member of the Mechanics Guild. Member of The Council of the Multiverse community. Click me to find out more!

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:48 pm

Shadowwell wrote:
Harbertia wrote:Dang man- you could just use the NSA - Nation Supers Agency from the Incredibles as a template. They did a good job to keeping identities a secret for those who desired a secret identity. Sure a super villian hacked thier systems but still.

NO CAPES!!!!

The thing is at Thelrose Academy, the superhero school, everyone will know who your parents are unless you are just a scholarship with no meta parents. I was wanting a system so that a student couldnt just go and release secret identities causethey get angry.

-snip-

The only ones that have secret identities come off as 'Compounds' for the training of a private army, like the Hand's school in the Iron Fist series. Sure they are not superhumans but they are highly skilled and secretive. No one knows who they are because they work for a secret society. That does ANYTHING including murder to keep their operations a secret.

I should know- I played in such an RP- it gets dark- do not go in that direction. However if you must, go the Xavier school route. Some mutants are registered bu Xavier tries to find those who are not yet registered to take part in his X-Men.
Last edited by Harbertia on Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

Duestchstien
Minister

Founded: Nov 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Duestchstien » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:52 pm

Alright hopefully I can get over this darn socks so I can put out the OOC for that WW1 RP. Sorry to keep people waiting but I've come down with a terrible cold, hopefully I'll be better soon and thanks for helping to the people who did.

Anyway whenever you want, Harbatia, you can just TG me with some final input before the OOC gets put out.
National Info
Chancellor - Alexei Matrovitch
Vice Chancellor - Dmitri Zdunowo
Capital - Moscow
Population - 404.2 Million
Currency - Roys Ruble (₽)
Active RPs
2024: Age of Superpowers - Nigeria

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:56 pm

Duestchstien wrote:Alright hopefully I can get over this darn socks so I can put out the OOC for that WW1 RP. Sorry to keep people waiting but I've come down with a terrible cold, hopefully I'll be better soon and thanks for helping to the people who did.

Anyway whenever you want, Harbatia, you can just TG me with some final input before the OOC gets put out.

All I have to send has been delivered and stated- It'll be great to see the OOC up :)
Tomorrow is made today.

Duestchstien
Minister

Founded: Nov 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Duestchstien » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:01 pm

Harbertia wrote:
Duestchstien wrote:Alright hopefully I can get over this darn socks so I can put out the OOC for that WW1 RP. Sorry to keep people waiting but I've come down with a terrible cold, hopefully I'll be better soon and thanks for helping to the people who did.

All I have to send has been delivered and stated- It'll be great to see the OOC up :)

all right, hopefully I'm healthy enough to put it up soon in the coming days.
National Info
Chancellor - Alexei Matrovitch
Vice Chancellor - Dmitri Zdunowo
Capital - Moscow
Population - 404.2 Million
Currency - Roys Ruble (₽)
Active RPs
2024: Age of Superpowers - Nigeria

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:14 pm

Duestchstien wrote:
Harbertia wrote:All I have to send has been delivered and stated- It'll be great to see the OOC up :)

all right, hopefully I'm healthy enough to put it up soon in the coming days.

Don't be too long as I've already thought this project abandoned twice only to twice been disproven.
Tomorrow is made today.

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:38 pm

Harbertia wrote:
Shadowwell wrote:NO CAPES!!!!

-snip-

The only ones that have secret identities come off as 'Compounds' for the training of a private army, like the Hand's school in the Iron Fist series. Sure they are not superhumans but they are highly skilled and secretive. No one knows who they are because they work for a secret society. That does ANYTHING including murder to keep their operations a secret.

I should know- I played in such an RP- it gets dark- do not go in that direction. However if you must, go the Xavier school route. Some mutants are registered bu Xavier tries to find those who are not yet registered to take part in his X-Men.

Something like Sky High, but i wanted to solve the problem with the secret identities being leaked from Thelrose to the villains or other factions of the world. The concept of scholarships is much the same, may tg the premise of the story this is based from

When i am not being your average Drunk at the Pub, i am the Founder and Headmaster of The Academy. On my off time i am also a Member of the Mechanics Guild. Member of The Council of the Multiverse community. Click me to find out more!

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:41 pm

Shadowwell wrote:
Harbertia wrote:-snip-

Something like Sky High, but i wanted to solve the problem with the secret identities being leaked from Thelrose to the villains or other factions of the world. The concept of scholarships is much the same, may tg the premise of the story this is based from

I think that's a problem that comes with any public information- it can get into the hands of anyone. I think it's a topic best kept in play. Do remember the Sky High pyrokinetic character- he was the son of a villian, also the Technokinetic character was one. I don't feel it's something you can get around with out going super dark. If anything work with it.
Tomorrow is made today.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:45 pm

The only way I can see you somehow making their super hero and school identity a secret is to get into the 'mind killing' 'super secret' world of 'Totally-Spies'. where the characters somehow balance both- it's mind numbing.

You could simply suspend disbelief by request that people roll with the premise- just ignore the issue.
Tomorrow is made today.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:52 pm

Please don't go down the mind killing route and simply ignore the issue all together- must fiction ignores.
Tomorrow is made today.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:56 pm

Actually just work with it- think about how many in X-Men know each other. It works out for some great plots.
Tomorrow is made today.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:27 pm

Harbertia, any chance you can combine your posts as a rule of thumb in the future? Four posts back to back could have all been edited in to the first post.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:53 pm

Harbertia wrote:Actually just work with it- think about how many in X-Men know each other. It works out for some great plots.

That was part of the plan, it would have some slice of life elements to let people get a good feel for the characters.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:04 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:Harbertia, any chance you can combine your posts as a rule of thumb in the future? Four posts back to back could have all been edited in to the first post.

Understood- in my desire to be heard I frantically posted for concern that I'd go unnoticed as one doesn't receive a 'new post' alert from edited posts. The posts where a panicked result.
Shadowwell wrote:
Harbertia wrote:Actually just work with it- think about how many in X-Men know each other. It works out for some great plots.

That was part of the plan, it would have some slice of life elements to let people get a good feel for the characters.

That sounds a lot better then my fears had imagined.
Tomorrow is made today.

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:05 pm

Harbertia wrote:
G-Tech Corporation wrote:Harbertia, any chance you can combine your posts as a rule of thumb in the future? Four posts back to back could have all been edited in to the first post.

Understood- in my desire to be heard I frantically posted for concern that I'd go unnoticed as one doesn't receive a 'new post' alert from edited posts. The posts where a panicked result.
Shadowwell wrote:That was part of the plan, it would have some slice of life elements to let people get a good feel for the characters.

That sounds a lot better then my fears had imagined.

It will get a bit dark, but not as much as say, tokyo ghoul. It will take place in the Academy and a certain town, maybe more than one.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:22 pm

I tried to write up a new OOC but- I think the writting ran away from me.

What is the history of our land? Where did we come from?

Our lore speaks of the ancients
Ancients destroyed for failing to live by the great one's standards

Ancients who lost a world
Ancients who failed

Our trial is not the Trial of the Ancients.

Our trail is our own, but we may soon suffer for the Ancient one's folly-

That's a nice story and all but the Beast was destroyed ages ago. The embodiment of the Ancient's folly died with them. Why should we believe it has returned or sleeps in the Animus Sector? Countless civilizations have rose and fallen in this region of the galaxy- surely if the Beast was here it would have already been found.

Our laws prevent any hope of that power emerging in some other form either. Even if one desired to recreate it our legislation would prevent it just like the nations of the past.

Do not forget that the Romanov Empire thought the same but it suspended the law and fell. When power is absolute-

Our power is not absolute Megile.

I am not clai-

Megile, this meeting is a waste of federal resources and is hear by ended.

----

XXXX A.E

Ages ago a great people known now only as the Ancients prospered, and then vanished. According to legend our people emerged from their world, the Homeworld of us all, a world destroyed ages ago.

Our kind inherited the galaxy, but with it the legacy of the ancients- a legacy that taints us all. According to the spiritual leaders our kind will face a judgment and trial of our own and must never repeat the same folly as the ancients.

To prevent this the Texts of Old contain laws to prevent the same. But not every civilization has abided by the Texts.

The Romanov Empire, the largest ever known to the Animus region. The Romanov Empire discovered the largest of Ancient Cache's yet to be discovered and in hopes of enhancing their rapidly obsolete armed forces and saving the Empire.

The technology implemented was in the area of Cybernetic Medicine and Robotics- and cumulated in an increasingly dehumanized army- by the fall of the Romanov Empire the majority of military command and remaining armed forces where neither organic nor machine but a fusion of both.

With the abominations destroyed- the royal line severed- the Romanov Empire collapsed as a new alliance; a Union of the Animus Sector was formed.

Republican ideals spread even as aged monarchies remain. Seeking to show that they do still have a place in the galaxy, and deeply concerned with the state of the galaxy. With republics comes a rise in corporate powers never before seen and ambitious demagogues seeking the mantle of power for themselves.

Harbertia wrote:I'd like to host an RP that combines elements of Bucky O'Hare, Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog, and Nintendo's Star Fox.

(Image)(Image)(Image)

What does this concept look like thus far?

It's a sci-fi setting of various planets inhabited by such creatures as those in before mentioned settings. Space travel exists and worlds tend to be diverse culturally. The main foe in this setting is a super computer bent on Robotizing the organic population.

eh... It's a start. The ancient evil is suppose to use this new era as a time to re-emerge but I think I'm getting- as usually- darker then I desired. I'm still having to tone things down or the idea just wont get across- I am however currently at Bucky O'Hare levels - that being the darkest of the three inspirations.

EDIT: Perhaps just restarting this project is the better concept. It has a decent amount of player creativity but is organized by an established multiverse allowing for various versions of the characters. What do ya think? Continue with this space version in a somewhat original/not original setting or go for the not original/somewhat creative Sonic fan project?
Last edited by Harbertia on Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

New Finnish Republic
Minister

Founded: Mar 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby New Finnish Republic » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:16 am

The Stolen God: A Percy Jackson RP now has two open slots for anyone interested in participating! We have room for one Roman, and one Greek, and the IC hasn't gotten too far yet, so if anyone's interested, feel free to follow the link and apply!
Known mostly as Finn, but also known as a few other things I can't put in a signature by those who know me.

American who got left too long in the sauna.

Proud to spread Spurdo Nationalism from sea to shining sea.

Torsiedelle
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Torsiedelle » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:59 am

Anyone else feel a little happy whenever they just do menial stuff for their RP? I just feel good to do some tiny roster updates and news and stuff for my cruddy old OOC thread. OP is a simple person. OP likes their humble little RP. OP also has gotten into the habit of addressing themselves in the third person.

Did someone say...WWI?
Rostavykhan is my Second Nation.
⋘EXCELSIOR⋙
To Cool For School

Zarkenis Ultima
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Zarkenis Ultima » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:26 am

Torsiedelle wrote:Anyone else feel a little happy whenever they just do menial stuff for their RP? I just feel good to do some tiny roster updates and news and stuff for my cruddy old OOC thread. OP is a simple person. OP likes their humble little RP. OP also has gotten into the habit of addressing themselves in the third person.

Nah, you're not the only one. Making and updating character lists is one of the most relaxing activities for me on NS :P
Hello! I'm your friendly neighborhood roleplayer cat. If you need any help, send me a TG and I'll see what I can do!
P2TM Community Discussion Thread

Torsiedelle
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Torsiedelle » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:08 am

Zarkenis Ultima wrote:
Torsiedelle wrote:Anyone else feel a little happy whenever they just do menial stuff for their RP? I just feel good to do some tiny roster updates and news and stuff for my cruddy old OOC thread. OP is a simple person. OP likes their humble little RP. OP also has gotten into the habit of addressing themselves in the third person.

Nah, you're not the only one. Making and updating character lists is one of the most relaxing activities for me on NS :P

It isn't necessarily relaxing to me (even though I just have a humble little RP myself), but it does just feel nice to look at it and know I'm finally doing something worthwile on NS and actually can be credited with it.

Hmm....

Thoughts on a Steven Universe-themed RP? Maybe set around the Earth Rebellion or even before that? Maybe not even on Earth? Though Earth and the rebellion would be the neatest, obviously. Maybe with characters playing one gem of a different type? The concept at least sound interesting?

Maybe Homeworld Gems or Crystal Gems, or a mixture if it could be handled?

I already have an RP up, and I'm planning a different one that's not SU, but the idea of an SU one did sort of intrigue me.
Last edited by Torsiedelle on Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
⋘EXCELSIOR⋙
To Cool For School

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:03 am

So unfortunately i may not be able to do the laid back superhero academy rp, i will be doing Once We Were Villains, though, just type that in and you should find plenty.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:06 am

Torsiedelle wrote:
Zarkenis Ultima wrote:

It isn't necessarily relaxing to me (even though I just have a humble little RP myself), but it does just feel nice to look at it and know I'm finally doing something worthwile on NS and actually can be credited with it.

Hmm....

Thoughts on a Steven Universe-themed RP? Maybe set around the Earth Rebellion or even before that? Maybe not even on Earth? Though Earth and the rebellion would be the neatest, obviously. Maybe with characters playing one gem of a different type? The concept at least sound interesting?

I already have an RP up, and I'm planning a different one that's not SU, but the idea of an SU one did sort of intrigue me.

Back in 2015 I'd be all up for an SU RP (I know because that was the year I was posting in the SU thread here on NS)- In fact I had even considered hosting one myself back then and realized that the SU group here on NS is a great place to recruit players. But then as I watched more the show I found that the plan was more complicated then I had realized. Since I've not watched the show since 2015 I will be commmenting based on what I did watch.

The lore makes original characters in the setting difficult. One does have Emerald joining the Crystal Gems and that is one route for a presently set RP.

Another interesting concept is the Rebellion on Earth. I think it's often overlooked that certain gems who did remain on Earth and fought in the rebellion became corrupted monstrosities- you might recall the green one eyed monster from an early episode. You might recall that Rose wanted to help them.

One route is to be set after the rebellion but before this point thus I suppose in theory having more Crystal Gems then before. However since I didn't see anything past the conclusion of Lapys-Lazuli's plung into the sea following a fusion and crashing of a space ship- I have no idea what has been said about the rebellion in any episode following that point in the series.
Tomorrow is made today.

Torsiedelle
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Torsiedelle » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:12 am

Harbertia wrote:
Torsiedelle wrote:

Hmm....

Back in 2015 I'd be all up for an SU RP (I know because that was the year I was posting in the SU thread here on NS)- In fact I had even considered hosting one myself back then and realized that the SU group here on NS is a great place to recruit players. But then as I watched more the show I found that the plan was more complicated then I had realized. Since I've not watched the show since 2015 I will be commmenting based on what I did watch.

The lore makes original characters in the setting difficult. One does have Emerald joining the Crystal Gems and that is one route for a presently set RP.

Another interesting concept is the Rebellion on Earth. I think it's often overlooked that certain gems who did remain on Earth and fought in the rebellion became corrupted monstrosities- you might recall the green one eyed monster from an early episode. You might recall that Rose wanted to help them.

One route is to be set after the rebellion but before this point thus I suppose in theory having more Crystal Gems then before. However since I didn't see anything past the conclusion of Lapys-Lazuli's plung into the sea following a fusion and crashing of a space ship- I have no idea what has been said about the rebellion in any episode following that point in the series.

The episodes and seasons after that go a good bit more into the rebellion, which gets pretty interesting. I'd recommend catching up on it sometime. It's great. It also delves further into Gem society and hierarchy.
Last edited by Torsiedelle on Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
⋘EXCELSIOR⋙
To Cool For School

Arventum
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 05, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Arventum » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:18 am

I'm going to be making an RP, but I'm going to need a Co-OP that has ample knowledge of military technology. In one RP, it seemed as though only a single person was aware of the technology level for certain things in the time period, such as tank tech. They corrected our tank designs in armor thickness, speed, and told us what the largest gun size usually was, and how vulnerable tanks of the time period were, and I learned some stuff that will definitely aid in OPing. I need someone who will be able to fill that role for an alt history RP taking place in 1923. In the future, the Rise series will expand to other time periods and perhaps even a Hetalia-like RP, but right now I'm hoping to establish the canon universe and a decent player base, and because of how we intend to expand the prospective Co-OPs for this alt history roleplay won't necessarily have to be staff for any of the spin-offs, sequels, or unique AU roleplays. I can post part of the OP when I am done writing that part to get interest, but right now I'm wondering if anyone here has the kind of knowledge in tech I was looking for. ^-^

Regards,

Arventum
Firstly: Don't use me as a weapon. Secondly: Be careful, or I'll give ya a hug. Also, I'm, like, really bored. If you have an RP you might think I'd be even remotely interested in, please send me a PM so I can write posts instead of stalking threads! It'd be much appreciated.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives