NATION

PASSWORD

2060: The Future World. (OOC/PMT/OPEN)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Carathon
Senator

Founded: Jun 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Carathon » Thu May 29, 2014 5:15 pm

Imperial City-States wrote:But Laser based CIWS is going to be relatively widespread considering that the US Military is currently putting them on destroyers. And looking at how the US military is technologically twenty years ahead of it's competitors we're looking at 2034 for wider spread deployment on navel vessels , throw another thirty years on that and you're pretty much set.

Mounted lasers for self-defense systems for things like ships and fortifications are around I'll imagine, but he asked about hand-held lasers and plasma weapons.
I am from the United States, just so you know.

Male.

Imperial City-States
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial City-States » Thu May 29, 2014 5:21 pm

Carathon wrote:
Imperial City-States wrote:But Laser based CIWS is going to be relatively widespread considering that the US Military is currently putting them on destroyers. And looking at how the US military is technologically twenty years ahead of it's competitors we're looking at 2034 for wider spread deployment on navel vessels , throw another thirty years on that and you're pretty much set.

Mounted lasers for self-defense systems for things like ships and fortifications are around I'll imagine, but he asked about hand-held lasers and plasma weapons.

Well i'm certain that they'd exist but they'd entirely be in the prototype/concept stage. Didn't the OP refer to Fusion cells being miniaturized at some point or was that a rather recent occurrence ? There aren't really any benefits to using a laser as an anti-personnel weapon as you'd have to have constant contact in order to 'burn' though their armor/clothing. Overall you're better off just developing a more advanced propellant and projectile for traditional ballistic weaponry.
http://www.broomdces.com/nseconomy/nations.php?nation=Imperial+City-States
"The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion, but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
"Stand in the ashes of a million dead souls and ask the ghost if honor matters."
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
George Orwell
"No advance in wealth, no softening of manners, no reform or revolution has ever brought human equality a millimeter nearer."
George Orwell

Unapologetically American
U.S Army

The Emerald Dragon
Senator

Founded: Jan 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dragon » Thu May 29, 2014 5:35 pm

Imperial City-States wrote:
Carathon wrote:

Well i'm certain that they'd exist but they'd entirely be in the prototype/concept stage. Didn't the OP refer to Fusion cells being miniaturized at some point or was that a rather recent occurrence ? There aren't really any benefits to using a laser as an anti-personnel weapon as you'd have to have constant contact in order to 'burn' though their armor/clothing. Overall you're better off just developing a more advanced propellant and projectile for traditional ballistic weaponry.

Just get me a minie ball, non of this laser crap.

Imperial City-States
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial City-States » Thu May 29, 2014 5:38 pm

The Emerald Dragon wrote:

Well i'd personally prefer Tungsten Armor Piercing Explosive Hollow Points myself.
"The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion, but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
"Stand in the ashes of a million dead souls and ask the ghost if honor matters."
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
George Orwell
"No advance in wealth, no softening of manners, no reform or revolution has ever brought human equality a millimeter nearer."
George Orwell

U.S Army

The Emerald Dragon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dragon » Thu May 29, 2014 5:40 pm

Well i'd personally prefer Tungsten Armor Piercing Explosive Hollow Points myself.

I feel so inadequate at points, you and your 82nd Airborne training. :p

Imperial City-States
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial City-States » Thu May 29, 2014 5:45 pm

Well modern equivalent rounds are usually HEAP , which is High-Explosive-Armor Piercing , basically the outer shell of the round punches though the armor and the inner 'core' smashes into your flesh and detonates ...makes a helluva mess out of your inner goods. Basically adding tungsten on the exterior would give it greater armor piercing capability which allow you to punch though the 2060 era body armor or Exoskeleton's that are going to be present on the battlefield. Would act similar to a HESH round at the same time.

Although a HEAP round for military use currently would be illegal via the Geneva Convention ( like anyone follows it anyway )
Last edited by Imperial City-States on Thu May 29, 2014 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George Orwell
George Orwell

U.S Army

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Thu May 29, 2014 5:47 pm

Carathon wrote:

I believe you are overlooking crucial part of warfare: coolness. :p
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Emerald Dragon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dragon » Thu May 29, 2014 5:48 pm

Well modern equivalent rounds are usually HEAP , which is High-Explosive-Armor Piercing , basically the outer shell of the round punches though the armor and the inner 'core' smashes into your flesh and detonates ...makes a helluva mess out of your inner goods. Basically adding tungsten on the exterior would give it greater armor piercing capability which allow you to punch though the 2060 era body armor or Exoskeleton's that are going to be present on the battlefield. Would act similar to a HESH round at the same time.

Although a HEAP round for military use currently would be illegal via the Geneva Convention ( like anyone follows it anyway )

Britain does.

With the.

PCBA

(Politically Correct British Army)

'Playing fair, even when nobody else does, since 1707'

Imperial City-States
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial City-States » Thu May 29, 2014 5:48 pm

Great Nepal wrote:

You could have shit that's infinitely cooler but if it's not effective there's no point in using it.
George Orwell
George Orwell

U.S Army

The Emerald Dragon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dragon » Thu May 29, 2014 5:49 pm

Great Nepal wrote:I believe you are overlooking crucial part of warfare: coolness. :p

You could have shit that's infinitely cooler but if it's not effective there's no point in using it.

Get me a...

DAVEY JONES ATOMIC RIFLE.

Imperial City-States
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial City-States » Thu May 29, 2014 5:49 pm

Britain does.

With the.

PCBA

I mean hell , The American military 'technically' follows the GC but it's usually ignored. Banned Napalm ? We made something much worse to replace it. (polystyrene and FP )
George Orwell
George Orwell

U.S Army

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Thu May 29, 2014 5:50 pm

Carathon wrote:

I am certain mounted self-defense systems are around, as laser weapons already exist in real life.

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Thu May 29, 2014 5:52 pm

Great Nepal wrote:

Great Nepal, are you going to reply to my post on the conference thread? We need to get this thing moving. If the New Lowlands is not active, then we will just have to move on without him.

The Emerald Dragon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dragon » Thu May 29, 2014 5:52 pm

Britain does.

With the.

PCBA

I mean hell , The American military 'technically' follows the GC but it's usually ignored. Banned Napalm ? We made something much worse to replace it. (polystyrene and FP )

The gurkhas though.

They're cool.

Although, i can never pronounce their individual Nepalese names.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-19944833

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Thu May 29, 2014 5:53 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:I believe you are overlooking crucial part of warfare: coolness. :p

Great Nepal, are you going to reply to my post on the conference thread? We need to get this thing moving. If the New Lowlands is not active, then we will just have to move on without him.

I was waiting for his delegation to arrive before replying; lets wait till tomorrow and then if he hasn't posted we can continue.

Imperial City-States
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial City-States » Thu May 29, 2014 5:53 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:
Carathon wrote:

I am certain mounted self-defense systems are around, as laser weapons already exist in real life.

Lasers exist with the most technologically advance military in the Word by twenty years. You can't ignore that part , so basically add twenty years (2034 )and include all of the shitstorms that occurred. You'd be lucky to start PDW trials in the prototype stage let alone even attempting the concept. They wouldn't be all that effective either.
George Orwell
George Orwell

U.S Army

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Thu May 29, 2014 5:55 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:I am certain mounted self-defense systems are around, as laser weapons already exist in real life.

Lasers exist with the most technologically advance military in the Word by twenty years. You can't ignore that part , so basically add twenty years (2034 )and include all of the shitstorms that occurred. You'd be lucky to start PDW trials in the prototype stage let alone even attempting the concept. They wouldn't be all that effective either.

Yes they would. I am certain that by 2060, nations such as technocracies would be fielding these weapons.

Galter Gulcher
Minister

Founded: Sep 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Galter Gulcher » Thu May 29, 2014 5:55 pm

So, should I wait for the OP to moderate NU's post, or what.
_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Signature.
Screw the NSA.
I support gay marriage.
I am against Gay attitudes towards pretty much anything.
Hungary people need to just eat some endangered animals.
Mallorea and Riva should be awarded for their actions.

The Emerald Dragon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dragon » Thu May 29, 2014 5:56 pm

Galter Gulcher wrote:So, should I wait for the OP to moderate NU's post, or what.

Just wait, or i'll get Maylene and Lucario.
Last edited by The Emerald Dragon on Thu May 29, 2014 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Imperial City-States
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial City-States » Thu May 29, 2014 5:57 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:

Yes they would. I am certain that by 2060, nations such as technocracies would be fielding these weapons.

I'm sure they'd exist but it's debatable as to their totally effectiveness considering they'd have to have constant contact for several seconds (seems like a lifetime on the battlefield ) to have any noticeable affect if the target's wearing body armor.
George Orwell
George Orwell

U.S Army

The Great Korean Empire
Minister

Founded: Jan 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Great Korean Empire » Thu May 29, 2014 5:58 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:

I agree with him as laser weapons already exist however I'd think they'd be limited to aircraft, naval vessels, armored vehicles, and military installations. And I'm pretty sure that they'd be more powerful.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." -Ernest Hemingway

"To have found God and still to pursue him is the soul's paradox of love, scorned indeed by the too-easily-satisfied religionist, but justified in happy experience by the children of the burning heart." -A.W. Tozer.

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Thu May 29, 2014 5:58 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:Yes they would. I am certain that by 2060, nations such as technocracies would be fielding these weapons.

I'm sure they'd exist but it's debatable as to their totally effectiveness considering they'd have to have constant contact for several seconds (seems like a lifetime on the battlefield ) to have any noticeable affect if the target's wearing body armor.

It depends on how powerful the laser is.

Imperial City-States
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial City-States » Thu May 29, 2014 6:01 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:

It depends on how powerful the laser is.

So you either A) Have an extremely high powered burst and drain your entire power cell in practically one shot or B) have a mid power level weapon that requires 2-3 seconds of contact in order to injury it's target and you actually have *some* sustainability from the magazine.

Also OP do you need me to repost my App ?
Last edited by Imperial City-States on Thu May 29, 2014 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George Orwell
George Orwell

U.S Army

Shnercropolis
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Shnercropolis » Thu May 29, 2014 6:03 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:

What conference thread?
it is my firm belief that I should never have to justify my beliefs.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Thu May 29, 2014 6:04 pm

Shnercropolis wrote:
The Orson Empire wrote:Great Nepal, are you going to reply to my post on the conference thread? We need to get this thing moving. If the New Lowlands is not active, then we will just have to move on without him.

What conference thread?

Conference for prosperity; conference between Republic of Britannia, Federal Republic of Europe and Technocratic republic of America.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse