NATION

PASSWORD

1500: Brave New World

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
The Sotoan Union
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

1500: Brave New World

Postby The Sotoan Union » Wed May 07, 2014 6:54 am

“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
― André Gide

The year is 1500 and the colonial race has begun. The newly found land masses to the west of Europe, across the sea, hold many treasures ripe for the taking. Europe licks her lips greedily as many European nations send expeditions in hope of taking part of the rich bounty. Will you take control of one of the European overlords sending men to form colonies in this new land? Or will you be a governor of one of these colonies, leading his people in a strange land while fulfilling the wishes of the home countries? Or will you be the natives, and stand tall in the face of the pale skins and their expansion?

Paketo is a co-op
Credit to Paketo for opening paragraph

http://i.imgur.com/3SiNyOh.png

Gameplay

Governors will play as colonists from a European power. Each player will start by choosing a spot on the map where their colony will go. Once a spot is chosen the player will be given information about the area. Additional information can slowly be revealed to the player as the RP progresses.

As a governor of a colony, your biggest job is to make money. All colonies must be profitable. Money can be made in many ways. The main way is to trade resources. All regions on the map have resources, and simply controlling them gives you access to them. The player can choose to sell them to Europe for money, but can also save them to RP trade with other players. European countries need a constant supply of money, so trade often. Trading the same resources constantly causes them to be worth less, so make sure to acquire other resources, either through trade or conquest.

To expand your colony into other regions you need two things, money and people. Colonizing other regions costs money. You can only colonize regions that neighbor yours, either by land or directly by sea. You also need colonists. To raise your population you must encourage increased immigration from Europe. Money must be spent on infrastructure to allow more colonists. If both conditions are met than you can take a nearby region.

Like Europeans Native Americans have access to resources in the regions they control. Native Americans cannot expand into other regions besides the ones that they start in. Native Americans have home regions, and all other regions can be freely taken over by European colonies they meet the requirements. The only way to try and prevent the colonies from taking these regions is to resist, which leads to conflict.

The Native Americans can never progress technologically. They can only access modern technology by trading with Europeans. Of course the colonists won't sell these things cheaply, but the Native Americans have unlimited resources from the regions they live in. The Native Americans can also be subjugated through religion. Colonies can influence the Native Americans by converting them to their religion, allowing them to use Native American converts as soldiers and substitutes for immigrants. Native Americans can resist this by trading less with the colonists, but the more you trade the more the colonist's religion affects you.

Each European country is only controlled by one person. In this RP your main purpose is to help guide and provide for your colonies , but also to make sure they're profitable. You will likely have to manage multiple players. You will not RP about your own country, the only things that happen to your country are things that directly affect colonies. You will do the following

- Support your colonies. Excess money can be spent on things like soldiers, ships, and immigrants, all of which can make your colonies more profitable.

- Make money. Colonies need to be profitable.

- Respond to random events.

The most important thing is money. Every time a random event happens the European countries have to pay a certain amount of money. The only way for them to get money is from their colonies. Colonies need to be profitable, and need to send a constant stream of money to the motherlands. If Europeans have excess money they can spend it on bonuses for their colonists, but if they are running a deficit then they must make up for it by annexing a colony or raising taxes or some other such thing. This way the RP can replicate the historical relationship between colonists and their home countries. The Europeans want to help the colonies, but they also need money from them and can take from the colonies if they aren't making a profit. Meanwhile the colonies must juggle providing resources to their home lands and expanding themselves.

The Europeans do not however do the following

- Claim land. The colonists do that.

- Dictate the growth of the colonies. You can aid or interfere with their development, but you can’t control them.

- RP things in Europe. This RP is mainly about the colonies. Everything you RP should affect them.

All the European countries have their own religions. If you trade with Native Americans, your religion will slowly affect them. Eventually you may convert the natives to your religion. When that happens the colonists gain the ability to recruit some of the natives as immigrants or soldiers.

To trade resources simply state that you are trading resources. You can trade the resources you have once per month to Europe. After you do so, I will post how much money you received. You can only trade each resource once per month. For example if you control a region that produces cotton, you can only trade cotton once per month. But if you acquire some gold then you can trade that separately. A month passes when a random event occurs.

Random events are events that cause time to pass. Each random event is one month. Random events can cause a number of things to happen. They usually affect everybody, though in different ways. Europeans countries are required to pay money at the end of each random event.

Whenever money is spent on anything, it cannot arrive until after the next random event. The exception to this is trading, which awards money instantly. This does not apply to Courland. Money is spent on infrastructure, European resources, and veteran armies.

Applications

Player Name:
Faction:
Name of Leader:
Name of Colony:
Map Claim: You can have up to two regions at the start, but they must connect

Player Name:
Faction:
Name of Leader:
RP Sample:

Player Name:
Tribe:
Lifestyle: (settled, farmers, hunter gatherers, etc.)
Military Tactics:
Map Claim: You can claim up to four regions, but only two can be coastal

Factions

England

Leader: G-Tech Corporation
Tolerant: Infrastructure is half cost

France

Leader: The Jonathanian States
Tradesmen: Resources gained from trading with the natives are doubled.

Spain

Leader: Adenian
Conquistadors: Spanish military units are very effective against natives.

Portugal

Leader: Bujahla
Native Assimilation: Portuguese religion converts Natives in half the time.

The Netherlands

Leader: Amerisamika
Mercantile: Repeatedly trading the same resource does not decrease its value.

Russia

Leader:
Hardy Pioneers: Twice the commodity resources received from controlled regions.

Denmark

Leader:
Arctic Explorers- Denmark's colonies are not affected negatively by climate.

Sweden

Leader:
Citizen Soldiers- Soldiers from Europe can be converted into immigrants, and vice versa.

Courland

Leader:
Merchant Fleet- There is no delay in European ships reaching the colonies and vice versa.

Knights of Saint John

Leader: Communist Communist Land of Communism
For the Order- Troops can be sent to the colonies for half cost.

Aztecs-Reserved
Incas
Mayas-Reserved
Cherokee-Reserved
Huron Confederacy
Iroquois Confederacy
Seminole
Sioux
Inuit
Navajo
Apache-Reserved

IC: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=296392
Last edited by The Sotoan Union on Fri May 16, 2014 7:49 pm, edited 16 times in total.

Liecthenbourg
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Liecthenbourg » Wed May 07, 2014 7:04 am

Player Name: Liecthenbourg
Faction: England
Name of Leader: Godfrey Kenworth
Name of Colony: Tudortown

I may change the name of the colony.
Also, England is still Catholic if we're starting in 1500.
Impeach Ernest Jacquinot Legalise Shooting Communists The Gold Standard Needs To Be Abolished Duclerque 1919
Grand-Master of the Kyluminati

The Region of Kylaris
I'm just a simple Kylarite, trying to make my way on NS.

The Gaullican Republic,
I thank God for Three Things:
Kylaris, the death of Esquarium, and Prem <3

The Transtsabaran Federation and The Chistovodian Workers' State

To understand European history watch these: Cultural erosion, German and Italian history, a brief history of Germany.

Andarta Imperium
Civil Servant

Founded: Apr 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Andarta Imperium » Wed May 07, 2014 7:12 am

Can I reseve the Iroquois please?

Epraria
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Epraria » Wed May 07, 2014 7:13 am

Player Name: Epraria
Tribe: Ēxcān Tlahtōlōyān/ The Mexica Triple alliance/ The Aztec Empire.
Lifestyle: Settled
Military Tactics: The Aztec tactics are based on choosing a good place for battle and then launch missile weaponry like slings, bows and Atlatl's. After the initial barrage the most distinguished warriors and later the Eagle and Jaguar warriors would charge. After them the Commoners and youth who had gotten basic training would follow suit. The Soldiers would until entering melee march in ordered ranks and often try to surround or flank the enemy forces. Once the melee started it often degenerated into a fray of individual hand to hand combat.

Other tactics where feinted retreats and ambushes often luring enemies into traps in the jungle terrain where large amounts of warriors would be waiting for the ambush and then cut the enemy down.

The territory of the Aztec Empire
OOC: I hope i won't get wiped out by the European's :p
Last edited by Epraria on Sun May 11, 2014 1:19 am, edited 4 times in total.
You can call me Easy-E or Eppie if you want but you can if you are really lazy call me Ep.
I am Spanish so don't ever expect me to have anything close to perfect grammar.
Economic Left/Right: -1.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.97
98% of all Internet users would cry if Facebook broke down. If you are part of that 2% who simply would sit back and laugh, copy and paste this into your sig.
Myansaland wrote:
HorusLand wrote:How's the revolution going?

I will not pay my taxes this year :p

After all, I recieved a letter from the City of Warsaw recognizing me as an indepedent apartment.

Founding Member of LAVMEO
My proud anthem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ5dSdxUGLc

Liecthenbourg
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Liecthenbourg » Wed May 07, 2014 7:15 am

Epraria wrote:Player Name: Epraria
Tribe: The Aztec Empire
Military Tactics: The Aztec tactics are based on choosing a good place for battle and then launch missile weaponry like slings, bows and Atlatl's. After the initial barrage the most distinguished warriors and later the Eagle and Jaguar warriors would charge. After them the Commoners and youth who had gotten basic training would follow suit. The Soldiers would until entering melee march in ordered ranks and often try to surround or flank the enemy forces.

Other tactics where feinged retreats and ambushes often luring enemies into traps in the jungle terrain where large amounts of warriors would be waiting.

OOC: I hope i won't get wiped out by the European :p

Disease'll do it for us. :P
Impeach Ernest Jacquinot Legalise Shooting Communists The Gold Standard Needs To Be Abolished Duclerque 1919

The Region of Kylaris

The Gaullican Republic,

To understand European history watch these: Cultural erosion, German and Italian history, a brief history of Germany.

Epraria
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Epraria » Wed May 07, 2014 7:16 am

Liecthenbourg wrote:
Epraria wrote:Player Name: Epraria
Tribe: The Aztec Empire
Military Tactics: The Aztec tactics are based on choosing a good place for battle and then launch missile weaponry like slings, bows and Atlatl's. After the initial barrage the most distinguished warriors and later the Eagle and Jaguar warriors would charge. After them the Commoners and youth who had gotten basic training would follow suit. The Soldiers would until entering melee march in ordered ranks and often try to surround or flank the enemy forces.

Other tactics where feinged retreats and ambushes often luring enemies into traps in the jungle terrain where large amounts of warriors would be waiting.

OOC: I hope i won't get wiped out by the European :p

Disease'll do it for us. :P

Well i forgot about that. Well would you be willing to sell guns to me? I have lots of gold.
You can call me Easy-E or Eppie if you want but you can if you are really lazy call me Ep.
98% of all Internet users would cry if Facebook broke down. If you are part of that 2% who simply would sit back and laugh, copy and paste this into your sig.
Myansaland wrote:

After all, I recieved a letter from the City of Warsaw recognizing me as an indepedent apartment.

Estenia
Senator

Founded: Mar 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Estenia » Wed May 07, 2014 7:18 am

Player Name: Estenia
Faction: Portugal
Name of Leader: Miguel Gonçalves
Name of Colony: Uruguai do Portugal
Last edited by Estenia on Wed May 07, 2014 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Runner-up at the 1st OMAHAN FUTSAL WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS, 4th at Maple Leaf Bowl III, 4th on Baptism of Fire 57, 2nd at Runner Cup 4, 3rd at 21st World Lacrosse Championships.

88% Libertatrian
72% Conservative
63% Liberal

Liecthenbourg
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Liecthenbourg » Wed May 07, 2014 7:19 am

Epraria wrote:
Liecthenbourg wrote:Disease'll do it for us. :P

Well i forgot about that. Well would you be willing to sell guns to me? I have lots of gold.

Depends.
I need to know what the map is like and how close we'd actually be.

The Region of Kylaris

The Gaullican Republic,

Epraria
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Epraria » Wed May 07, 2014 7:21 am

Liecthenbourg wrote:
Epraria wrote:Well i forgot about that. Well would you be willing to sell guns to me? I have lots of gold.

Depends.

True.
Myansaland wrote:

Liecthenbourg
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Liecthenbourg » Wed May 07, 2014 7:23 am

Epraria wrote:
Liecthenbourg wrote:Depends.

True.

Do we even have a map?

The Region of Kylaris

The Gaullican Republic,

New Strausberg
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Strausberg » Wed May 07, 2014 7:26 am

Ignore this.
Last edited by New Strausberg on Wed May 07, 2014 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Epraria
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Epraria » Wed May 07, 2014 7:26 am

Liecthenbourg wrote:
Epraria wrote:True.

Do we even have a map?

I don't know. Either way i'm going to be the Aztecs. Because someone needs to be a native power.
Myansaland wrote:

Liecthenbourg
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Liecthenbourg » Wed May 07, 2014 7:27 am

Epraria wrote:
Liecthenbourg wrote:Do we even have a map?

I don't know. Either way i'm going to be the Aztecs. Because someone needs to be a native power.

I agree.
However, I aim to be a sort of Colonial Island Governor. Hopefully there is a Caribbean-esque island group in this map.

The Region of Kylaris

The Gaullican Republic,

Epraria
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Epraria » Wed May 07, 2014 7:32 am

Liecthenbourg wrote:
Epraria wrote:I don't know. Either way i'm going to be the Aztecs. Because someone needs to be a native power.

I agree.
However, I aim to be a sort of Colonial Island Governor. Hopefully there is a Caribbean-esque island group in this map.

Oh. Well that will probably complicate things for me.
Myansaland wrote:

New Strausberg
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Strausberg » Wed May 07, 2014 7:33 am

Player Name:New Strausberg
Faction: France
Name of Leader:Pierre de Rigaud
Name of Colony: Louisiana (meaning all of the Mississippi and area around it.)
Last edited by New Strausberg on Wed May 07, 2014 7:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

The Jonathanian States
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Jonathanian States » Wed May 07, 2014 7:39 am

Player Name: Yeah, that's classified, sadly.
Faction: Royaume du France
Name of Leader: Louis XII of France
RP Sample: That's one.
Returned Nationstater -- You can leave Nationstates but Nationstates won't leave you.
Call me Jon, John, or Johnny, Jonathan or Jonnyboy, tJS and Jonathanian, with "states" or without.
This nation doesn't really represent my views and sarcasm is awesome.

Epraria
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Epraria » Wed May 07, 2014 7:40 am

The Jonathanian States wrote:Player Name: Yeah, that's classified, sadly.

Well this was new.
Myansaland wrote:

New switz empire
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New switz empire » Wed May 07, 2014 7:42 am

Player Name:New Switz empire
Faction:Russia
Name of Leader:Ivan the terrible
Name of colony:None
Last edited by New switz empire on Wed May 07, 2014 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Jonathanian States
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Jonathanian States » Wed May 07, 2014 7:45 am

Epraria wrote:
The Jonathanian States wrote:Player Name: Yeah, that's classified, sadly.

Well this was new.

Yeah, I recently joined REDACTED and since then had much fun doing REDACTED stuff.
Or was my name not what you were referring to?
Returned Nationstater -- You can leave Nationstates but Nationstates won't leave you.
Call me Jon, John, or Johnny, Jonathan or Jonnyboy, tJS and Jonathanian, with "states" or without.

Epraria
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Epraria » Wed May 07, 2014 7:45 am

New switz empire wrote:Player Name:New Switz empire
Name of colony:Russian America
(this extends from the Bering Strait to California.)

Yeah no. Russia has recently united in here and doesn't even control Siberia.
Myansaland wrote:

Andarta Imperium
Civil Servant

Founded: Apr 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Andarta Imperium » Wed May 07, 2014 7:46 am

That's one huge area....

Epraria
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Epraria » Wed May 07, 2014 7:47 am

The Jonathanian States wrote:
Epraria wrote:Well this was new.

Yeah, I recently joined REDACTED and since then had much fun doing REDACTED stuff.

I was referring to you playing as France.
Myansaland wrote:

New switz empire
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New switz empire » Wed May 07, 2014 7:50 am

Andarta Imperium wrote:

That's one huge area....

Not really. It extends along the coast and does not really go much farther than that.

The Sotoan Union
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sotoan Union » Wed May 07, 2014 7:50 am

We will have a map. Also this is still kind of a WIP. Hold on.

The Jonathanian States
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Jonathanian States » Wed May 07, 2014 7:50 am

Epraria wrote:
The Jonathanian States wrote:Yeah, I recently joined REDACTED and since then had much fun doing REDACTED stuff.

I was referring to you playing as France.

Oh, yeah, that...... *runs away and hides*
Nah, in all seriousness, with no Venice or Germany around, I'll take whatever other nation I like most (for that scenario), which in this case is France. (Though of course were there the option to be either of those, I'd be them).

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse