NATION

PASSWORD

Operation Southern Cross (Excalibur IC)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
The Tiger Kingdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Operation Southern Cross (Excalibur IC)

Postby The Tiger Kingdom » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:38 am

January 23rd, 1941
Unknown Coast Bordering the Indian Ocean
0313 Hours

"Did you hear something?", the first man whispered hoarsely in his native dialect.
The two men waiting on the shore pricked their ears. It was a warm, calm night, with hardly a soul around. Sounds could travel for very long ways in such environments.
"...I think that's them. Can't you hear it?"
His excitement was clearly evident in his voice.
"I can't see a light, though..."

The other man, considerably taller, shook his head. "No, I can't hear it."
"But I'm certain I-"
"Quiet down. That wasn't them. We'd know for sure if it was. There'd be a light, for one thing. You probably just heard a seal breaking the surface going after some fish, or something like that."

The shorter man sighed, petulantly tapping the casing of the Aldis lamp beside him with his foot in irritation. "Damn. I suppose you're right. But why aren't they here, Hendrik? What could be holding them up?"
"Don't kick the lamp. They're only fifteen minutes late. They came a long way. Hell, they could be dead, for all we know."
"I suppose, but how long should we-"
"And don't use my name."
"Sorry."

They were both quiet for a moment.
"...Do you think they really could be dead?"
"Definitely. You read the papers, you know they're out scouring the oceans for them. Wouldn't be a stretch at all."
The short man shivered. "Well, then...how long should we wait for them out here? It won't be dark forever, and I'd like to be able to get a few hours of sleep tonight. I have work tomorrow, for God's sake."
"Till dawn."
His eyes widened. "You can't be serious."
"We can't afford to be out here forever, but we can't afford to miss this shipment either. Just be patient. They'll be here in a little while."
The shorter man blew on his hands, mostly out of nervousness than cold - the night was fairly warm. "Let's hope."

At the same time, only a short few hundred meters away...

Some ways off of the shore, below the waves, all was normal. The rhythms of nocturnal undersea life went on as they had for millions of years. Vast, teeming shoals of fish dove and danced beneath the surface, clustering together for protection in numbers. A few leopard seals nosed about the area, looking for angles of attack into the swarms that would gain them the surest bellyful of fish.

Off to the seaward, a lone, massive great white shark, the apex predator in these waters and the terror of all that encountered it (with the exception of the remora that clung to it in search of scraps from kills - safe, as long as they paid their dues by keeping the shark clean and free of food scraps), slowly cruised through the darkness, resting from its twilight hunting exertions in preparation for the one that would follow at the coming dawn. Its massive, globular black eyes stared out into the murk, its unearthly senses attuned to the utmost in search of the tiniest indication of prey worth the effort to catch. The electric receptors in its nose fired off relentlessly and with faultless accuracy, able to detect the presence of any living thing from kilometers off. This heir to hundreds of millions of years of aquatic predator evolution had literally nothing to fear for thousands of miles in any direction. It was almost literally invulnerable.
And then in a flash, it nosed down and sped off in the opposite direction it had previously been heading in.

Something in the depths had scared perhaps the most perfect, streamlined carnivore the planet Earth had ever known.

Quietly at first, as though from a great distance off, an infernal grinding and growling reverberated across the depths, unlike the noises of any other aquatic creature. Slowly, it became louder and louder, its source not clear until the sound had reached its crescendo - and from the obsidian gloom emerged a cigar-shaped war machine with far more killing power than the shark could ever imagine (although, to be fair, there was an extraordinarily large number of things the shark couldn't imagine, such as Marmite, Valparaiso, trains, mercy, or love).

The true king of the oceanic abyss, the U-69 slid through the darkness like a stiletto knife.

Even amongst its own breed of submarines, this one was special - it was the very first of a new sub-class, the Type VII-C. This new evolution now carried an active set of what the British called "asdic" and what Americans called "sonar", lending it an even more potent capability to track and destroy its enemies than its brethren - even the shark's ampullae de lorenzini had finally been eclipsed by the technology of man. However, tracking and killing were not its goals on this particular eve. No, it had left its hunting grounds and arrived at these distant shores to convey several extremely important pieces of cargo. It had been a risky voyage, to say the least - slipping past a Catalina in the Bay of Biscay, evading a destroyer hunting group in the Mid-Atlantic, making a risky night-time rendezvous with a replenishment ship to refill their oil tanks off the coast of Equatorial Guinea, and, after a total sum of a week and a half of surreptitious travel, finally arriving at the destination, hugging an enemy shore.

But if this mission succeeded, this shore wouldn't be hostile for much longer. Neither would anywhere else, if the dominoes fell the way they were intended to. And this cargo would be among the last dominoes to put in place before they were all to be toppled in their marvelous sequence.

The growl began to quiet down as the engines slowed. From the conning tower, the long, thin periscope began to extend, breaking the surface. It swiveled to view the black shore, only a few dozen meters away. It was a good thing the oceanic shelf dropped off very quickly in this particular place, or else the risk of beaching would become very real.

Within the cramped, hot, reeking bowels of the submarine, a cold blue eye peered through the mirrored glass of the scope to survey the shore.
"It appears," the cold, clipped voice of the owner of that particular eye spoke, "that you have delivered us right to our target, Kapitanleutnant. You do the Kriegsmarine credit."
Behind him, standing rigidly in the center of the U-Boat's bridge, the commanding officer of the boat tried to suppress a shiver. Not used to not being the real master of his vessel, the fact that the real man in charge (and his protege, accompanying him) appeared to have been carved out of a block of pure ice infused with Krupp steel hadn't made his loss of authority any more palatable. Even a compliment was enough to make him very nervous, and the skipper was not a man who was often nervous.

The fact that the skipper didn't even know the names of the two men he was carrying didn't help matters any, either. All he knew was that the apparent leader was an SS-Obersturmbannführer, that the protege (or at least, the younger one) was an SS-Hauptsturmführer, that their orders were to be obeyed to the letter, and they were not to be bothered. The Obersturmbannführer was the hard one, never smiling or letting his discipline slacken for a second, never paying attention to the crew, single-mindedly focusing on his mission...whatever it was. The younger one was much in the same vein, except he often let a casual smirk spread across his face, clearly enjoying himself in whatever it was they were doing.
The fact that they were dressed so strangely was even more off-putting.

"Thank you, sir."

No response as the elder one continued to swivel the periscope, taking in the 360-degree view around them. After a moment, another clipped utterance.
"It seems we are in the clear. Do your sensors agree?"
The skipper looked over at the sonar man. He nodded.
"Yes, they do."
The Obersturmbannführer pulled back from the periscope. "Then it is time. We are already late enough. Surface the boat, have the cargo brought up, and send the signal."
The skipper was taken aback. "Sir, there could still be aircraft in the vicinity - and we're far too close to shore. We'd be massively risking the ship."

The blue eyes turned to him, cutting him open with their incisive glare. "Kapitanleutnant von Sporrenburg, are you attempting to undermine me?"
"N-no, I was just-"
"Good. Undermining me is not a sensible move. And you seemed like such a sensible man, relative to your brother. At this rate, I don't think you shall share his fate."
A sigh.
"But you know how things can change."

Kapitanleutnant Heinrich von Sporrenburg was almost too nervous to breathe, much less give the order. Out of his peripheral vision, he could see the smirk on his protege's face widen further.
"Surface the boat. Now."

The two men continued waiting.
"I'm telling you, I..."
The shorter man's voice trailed off.
"Oh, hell, there definitely is something out there. You must've heard that."
The taller man cocked an ear. "I heard something."
"Look off that direction. I'm telling you it came from over there - and there's a spot of the horizon that's a bit blacker than the ocean or sky. Do you see it? It must be them!"

As they squinted to see, the question was answered as a beam of light stabbed out from the black spot in a series of staccato bursts.
"That's them."

The tall man grabbed the Aldis lamp and began signalling in return.
"Run back to the truck and tell the others to get up here. We're going to need some help with the crates."

Some time later...

The last crate thudded onto the truck bed as it was dumped, the last cargo of the last trip between the U-Boat and the shore delivered. The U-Boat had now submerged and vanished out of sight.
"That's all of them?" asked one of the men on the shore.
The smirking man jumped onto the ground, wobbling slightly trying to reacclimatize to land. His older companion seemed to have no trouble.
"That's all of them," the younger man answered.
"Mind if we check?"

"You don't trust us?" the older man quickly shot back.
"No, no, it's not like that at all," the shorter man said, hands up. "We only want to make sure that there have been no...erm...miscommunications."
The older man shrugged. "They're yours, now. I could care less."
The tall man came forward with a crowbar and cracked off the top of the crate. Removing a torch from his belt, he shone it inside.

The reflective black matte paint of the component pieces of twelve brand-new MG34 heavy machine guns gleamed back, complete with ammo cartridges.

"Will that be satisfactory," the old one said testily, "or shall we wait here until noon or so for you to check all of them?"
The tall man straightened up. "That will be sufficient, I think. We can check the rest at the destination."
"Good. All our arrangements have been made?"
The tall man nodded. "Yes, although you will of course need to be changing your clothes once we arrive in the city. The farmer look may work out here, but you'll stand out like a sore thumb in there. And he-" the man jerked his thumb at the younger man, "-will need a set of army fatigues. We have them on hand."
The older man grimaced. "Then let's not wait around. The sun is rising, in a few minutes it'll be too dangerous to stay here."
"Then let's go."

They crew of Germans and natives took their seats. The engine came to life, and they slowly began to pull away, towards a coastal dirt road.
As they rode onwards, the younger one sat forward. "I hope you don't mind if I speak for a moment."
"Go on," the tall man replied. "Your accent's not too bad, by the way. It's noticeable, but it's not dangerously so."
"Glad to hear it. I just wanted to thank you for what you are doing for us, and for our cause. Germany is grateful to you, and it is a privilege for us to help you in this way. I am a member of the SS, but I hope to become accepted as a member of your organization too. I know that working together, like this, we shall achieve victory. I know it."
He sat back. "What we do in the next week may win us the war. and when the histories are written, your names shall be scribed in gold, I promise you that. Your organization shall live forever in memory."

The tall man couldn't help but smile at the florid rhetoric. "Is that so? Glad to hear you're so confident."
"We're confident because we have faith in the plan and faith in your people. Nobody can stand against us with all we've put in place. All we need to do is remember the guiding words, and we'll be unstoppable."

The young man theatrically closed his eyes, almost in the manner of prayer. No smirk on his face now.
"If I retreat..."

The other men (except the elder) responded almost as one, spontaneously."...kill me."

The young man continued. "If I advance..."
"...follow me."

His eyes were pressed so tightly together now that his whole face was shaking, and his voice was ragged with intensity.
"And If I die..."

The reply was just as passionate, coming straight from the heart of desperate, passionate men who knew that their actions would change the course of the world.
"...avenge me."

January 25th, 1941
Somewhere on the Atlantic Ocean
1030 Hours

A soaking mist and a uniformly grey sky hung heavily over the Atlantic Ocean that January morning. In recent months, though it looked as calm and peaceful (by the standards of a frequently storm-tossed ocean, anyways) as it seemingly had for an eternity, this colossal expanse of water had been one of the bloodiest battlefields of the World War now gripping Europe. Its depths now sheltered the bombed and torpedoed hulks of hundreds of warships, freighters, oil tankers, and others that had had the misfortune of meeting their ends in this featureless oblivion. Under the waves crawled dozens of German U-Boats, waiting for the perfect chance to unleash their torpedoes at an unsuspecting target from kilometers away, then fade away into the murk of the Atlantic depths.

On its surface, too, traveled numerous German raiders of various types. Some were cleverly disguised German auxiliary cruisers that preyed on isolated Allied merchant shipping, approaching close under friendly flags only to reveal themselves as a lethally-armed enemy when it was too late for their victims to fight back, call for help, or escape. And some, the most feared of all, perhaps, were the German commerce raiders: the Hippers, the Lutzows, the Scharnhorsts - massive, fast, modern cruisers and battlecruisers capable of ripping an entire convoy apart, ship by ship, under their guns, then fleeing at top speed back into the Atlantic wastes before they could ever be tracked down. And even the very air itself harbored enemies of Allied merchant shipping - the fall of France had opened up Atlantic posts for German naval aircraft, the massive Focke-Wulf four-engine bombers that now coordinated with the U-Boats to decimate convoys far out to sea with near-total impunity.

Traveling the Atlantic these days was, to say the least, not an excursion made lightly.

If one was to cross it in the service of the Allies now opposing the Axis states, the masters of these submarines, raiders, and bombers, precautions would have to be taken. Solo sailing was completely out of the question, one had to be a part of a convoy if survival was to be counted on. Lookouts had to be numerous and eternally vigilant. Defenses had to be obtained and manned, with trained personnel ready at a moment's notice to make use of it. Constant and substantial coordination between ships was necessary in order to keep the convoy together and prevent ships straying away on the high seas. And if all else failed, convoys had to be ready to scatter at a moment's notice as well, if losses began to mount and enemy forces looked to be impossible to stop.

Even with all these precautions, every day, some ships met their end. The convoy system may have been better than sailing solo, but it also had the unfortunate effect of gathering a massive amount of shipping in one concentrated space. A single spread of torpedos from one lucky U-Boat, or a mere handful of salvos from a raider could and frequently would sink two, three, four ships or even more in a convoy. In times like these, skippers of the mostly-unarmed and seemingly helpless ships would think long and hard about the benefits of the convoy system versus its costs. There had to be some better strategy to make it across the sea in one piece...didn't there?

It was true - there was. The SOE had developed it. But it was far from practical. Indeed, by most definitions, it was downright illegal in the eyes of what passed for international standards and laws these days, with potentially explosive ramifications if it were ever to be used - or more specifically, if it ever got out that it had been used.

In this particular expanse, all that could be heard was the eternal crashing and sighing of the waves as they rolled. Then, out of the gloom, a large silhouette grew and grew, until it finally stood out in sharp relief, plowing through the waves, leaving a white trail of churned wake behind it. Its paint was new, and it was clearly a ship that had been built recently. Its decks were crammed with cargo containers. On the side, fresh black paint spelled out MORSA. Atop its bridge, a flag of the Spanish state flapped in the breeze, sodden with mist. A neutral vessel, it could still wander and travel these oceans with a modicum of safety, though it still risked mis-identification and subsequent attack by a careless U-Boat or raider.

Although this ship didn't have too much to worry about from either of those angles. Behind false fronts, concealed in dummy crates, secreted away in the hull, and disguised with paint, this innocent-looking freighter was stuffed to the gills with armament and gadgets. Its allegiance to the Spanish state was false, as was its name, its cargo, and its background. It didn't carry coal, as its official story would tell; instead it carried sixteen navalized Supermarine Spitfire Mk. Vs, brand-new, directly from the Castle Bromwich factory.

Deception, not strength, was the trick the HMS Llamrei made use of to survive.

In the depths of the ship's forward compartments, seated on his bed, Captain Robert Page of the Royal Air Force (and Special Operations Executive, but he didn't even pretend to understand how the overlapping authority worked there) put down his copy of Colenso's History of the Zulu War and Its Origin and checked the clock. He was still trying to temporarily break the habit of checking his watch at times like these, given that he no longer wore a watch in the usual place due to the fact that that part of his arm was now swathed in a large, white cast. The time was 1030.

The Captain dog-eared the page and put it down. He reached for the phone, and dialed three numbers.
"This is Page. Clearance 5150. Requesting current position."
A pause.
"I can wait."
A minute or so later, the reply came through.
"Thank you."

Page sighed as he set the receiver back down. Looks like the time and place has arrived.
Standing up, he made his way over to the safe in the corner of his small room, and went to work unlocking it.
God knows what they'll think of this...
Last edited by The Tiger Kingdom on Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.
When the war is over
Got to start again
Try to hold a trace of what it was back then
You and I we sent each other stories
Just a page I'm lost in all its glory
How can I go home and not get blown away

Gibberan
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Gibberan » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:05 am

HMS Llamrei, Somewhere on the Atlantic, January 25th, 1941
0930 Hours

Flying Officer Andrew Carter jovially rolled out from under his position on the bottom bunk. Sharing a room with fellow American, Pat Arnold, he had spent the past few days well. Quickly putting on his RAF uniform, he started combing his hair while humming an upbeat tune, from some obscure Disney cartoon of the 1930s.

Stepping out of the door, still cheerfully scatting tunes, "Pat, when are you going to wake up?". He'd left a note beside Pat's bunk, which told him where Carter would be when he woke up. He'd head down to the mess hall, where he'd have his morning coffee (he couldn't live without it), and some toast or maybe a bit of eggs. Then he'd head down to the hangars, where he'd pick a Spitfire for his own and probably dab a bit of nose art on it, in the same way he had with his 'Longshot' back at Tempsford.

Though he had been extremely disappointed that there were no Hurricanes on the ship, only Spitfires (he had had a lengthy conversation with Major Royce about this the other night at the mess), he could live with it. He still had his old Hurri back at Tempsford, anyway, and had given strict instructions to the mechanics and ground crew to not touch it, or there would be consequences. Securing a couple cans of paint from some of the crew, he already had started, and was just now going to finish the job. Striding down the narrow hallway in the direction of the mess, he continued on quietly whistling, all the while expecting to meet someone or other in the gray corridors of the cramped ship.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his son in the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through himJohn 3:16-17

RP Name the Ambrosian Confederal Republic, or Ambrose
(you can still call me Gibbs)

Proud Esquarian!
(but also consider Kylaris)
Kassaran wrote:NSG, the one place where your opinion is the wrong one if it aint liberal enough for them... unless you're me, I'm well known for generally just despising human rights and the whole idea of entitlement.
Timothia wrote:My bad, I should have known better than to challenge the unchanging hive-mind of NSG. Won't happen again any time soon.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:46 pm

Gibberan wrote:
HMS Llamrei, Somewhere on the Atlantic, January 25th, 1941
0930 Hours

Flying Officer Andrew Carter jovially rolled out from under his position on the bottom bunk. Sharing a room with fellow American, Pat Arnold, he had spent the past few days well. Quickly putting on his RAF uniform, he started combing his hair while humming an upbeat tune, from some obscure Disney cartoon of the 1930s.

Stepping out of the door, still cheerfully scatting tunes, "Pat, when are you going to wake up?". He'd left a note beside Pat's bunk, which told him where Carter would be when he woke up. He'd head down to the mess hall, where he'd have his morning coffee (he couldn't live without it), and some toast or maybe a bit of eggs. Then he'd head down to the hangars, where he'd pick a Spitfire for his own and probably dab a bit of nose art on it, in the same way he had with his 'Longshot' back at Tempsford.

Though he had been extremely disappointed that there were no Hurricanes on the ship, only Spitfires (he had had a lengthy conversation with Major Royce about this the other night at the mess), he could live with it. He still had his old Hurri back at Tempsford, anyway, and had given strict instructions to the mechanics and ground crew to not touch it, or there would be consequences. Securing a couple cans of paint from some of the crew, he already had started, and was just now going to finish the job. Striding down the narrow hallway in the direction of the mess, he continued on quietly whistling, all the while expecting to meet someone or other in the gray corridors of the cramped ship.

Jimmy woke up. He started getting dressed and ready for the day. While he did so, he thought about the ship. "It is a nice ship, he thought. I've no clue what the real name means, though. Must be some British thing." He picked up his copy of War of the Worlds, with the bookmark, somewhat fittingly, in the chapter detailing the narrator's brother's escape from England. "That's what they should've named this ship." Jimmy mused to himself "The Thunder Child. Quite a fitting name, in my opinion."

His morning routine done, he opened his cabin's door to head to the mess, just as Carter was walking down the corridor. "Good morning, Flying Officer. Going to grab some grub?" Jimmy asked.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Gibberan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Gibberan » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:43 am

"Good morning, Flying Officer. Going to grab some grub?"

"Yep," said Carter, as he turned to face the NCO. "Going to grab some nice American-made coffee, if these Brits have any, some eggs or toast, and then head down to the hangars. I'm going to do the nose art for my Spit today."

Carter stopped. He looked around, cautiously, almost if someone was watching, leaned closer to Jimmy, and lowered his voice. "Do you have any idea when the briefing, the briefing for the operation, will be?"
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his son in the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through himJohn 3:16-17

Proud Esquarian!
Kassaran wrote:NSG, the one place where your opinion is the wrong one if it aint liberal enough for them... unless you're me, I'm well known for generally just despising human rights and the whole idea of entitlement.
Timothia wrote:My bad, I should have known better than to challenge the unchanging hive-mind of NSG. Won't happen again any time soon.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:33 am

Gibberan wrote:"Good morning, Flying Officer. Going to grab some grub?"

"Yep," said Carter, as he turned to face the NCO. "Going to grab some nice American-made coffee, if these Brits have any, some eggs or toast, and then head down to the hangars. I'm going to do the nose art for my Spit today."

Carter stopped. He looked around, cautiously, almost if someone was watching, leaned closer to Jimmy, and lowered his voice. "Do you have any idea when the briefing, the briefing for the operation, will be?"

"Mind if I join you, then, sir? My bird could use a little pizazz as well." Jimmy wondered, before leaning towards Carter and whispering back. "I've no clue, sir, your guess is as good as mine."
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.

Morrdh
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 16, 2008
Democratic Socialists

Postby Morrdh » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:43 pm

Since setting off on this nautical voyage Charlie had taken to keeping a Mae West close to hand, learnt the locations of the lifeboats and determined the most optimal routes in the event of an emergency. During his waking hours he'd taken to wandering the ship, sticking close to the main deck and the ship's sides just in case a passing U-boat decided that the ship would round out it's tonnage quota for the month. Besides, out here the air was far better than the bowels of the ship and a more relaxing place to smoke.

[hr]

Despite her foot still being in a cast, Kaya kept herself busy. Much of her time was spent working on the Spitfires, fine tuning the instruments and checking that everything was in full working order as well as making sure the damp and salty air wasn't causing havoc upon the aircraft. At other times she was checking up on Stanford and having a brief natter with him.
Irish/Celtic Themed Nation - Factbook

In your Uplink, hijacking your guard band.

Gibberan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Gibberan » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:19 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Gibberan wrote:"Good morning, Flying Officer. Going to grab some grub?"

"Mind if I join you, then, sir? My bird could use a little pizazz as well." Jimmy wondered, before leaning towards Carter and whispering back. "I've no clue, sir, your guess is as good as mine."

"I've no clue, sir, your guess is as good as mine."

Carter shrugged. "Oh, well. I expect it'll be today, we've already been at sea for days. And yes, I'd love a bit of company."

Proud Esquarian!

Kouralia
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 30, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kouralia » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:23 pm

As the day began across the boat ship, Colour Serjeant Smythe sat quietly in the room he'd taken as part of his quarters, writing leisurely in a note pad. Unlike certain members of the squadron, he was rather ambivalent about the water and the navy, even if both were frightfully boring. One was there and needed to be crossed, and the other was there and did things beneath the Army. Sighing, he glanced at a pocket watch before snapping it shut and tucking the watch back in its pocket. Sliding his legs off the bed, he closed the pad and left it neatly on the desk before checking his Browning and opening the door to his cabin, ready to head out and have some breakfast before returning to the numbing routine of every day upon the notThunderChild Llamrei.
Kouralia:

Goram
Senator

Founded: Jan 30, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Goram » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:52 pm

A Spitfire shuddered under the impact of multiple machine gun and cannon hits, from a pair of trailing 109's, as it staggered through the rapidly darkening skies over a God forsaken patch of Spain. The pilot, featureless behind his mask and goggles, inside the aircraft fought with the controls until he was hit by a pair of 7.92 millimetre bullets. The British aircraft rolled lazily over and fell away, sinking ever downwards towards a final obliteration against the hillsides below...

Stanford awoke with a gasp and sat bolt up right. In doing so, his forehead smacked into the steel stanchion above the top bunk. The 21 year old Flying Officer recoiled from the impact, moving back and away in a manner that was quite involuntary. The Royal Navy was not an organisation given to comfort, especially aboard ship and the beds were unusually narrow, when compared to RAF quarters. Owing to Stanford's rapid sideways motion, the man toppled over and plummeted several feet towards the floor, which turned out to be equally solid as the stanchion. The clang that the two impacts made, Stanford thought, must have been heard all over the ship. The officer lay on the deck for a second, looking up at the ceiling and trying to make light of exactly what had just happened. He'd been awake for less than a minute and he'd managed, already, to clatter his head and fall out of bed.

"Bugger."

Stanford felt that the profanity summed up his feelings on the situation entirely. It was safe to say, that he was not fond of life aboard the HMS Llamrei. Stanford rotated his throbbing head towards the bunk, expected to see a semi-irate Charlie glaring out of the darkness. As it turned out, however, Fodder was not there to be awoken. Stanford pulled himself to his feet, rubbing his head, and turned the electric lights on. Within ten minutes, Stanford was dressed and on his way out of the door. He lit his pipe as he ambled down the labyrinth of corridors, towards the hold of the ship. Like his room mate, Stanford preferred to be on deck - although his levels of U-boat paranoia didn't quite match those of the other Flying Officer. Today, however, there was work to do.

The Mk. VB Spitfire was a work of art. It retained the sleek features and shapely lines of the previous models, but to Stanford it had something just a little...different about it. He couldn't tell exactly what it was, aside from the minor aesthetic changes, but there was definitely something. From the Merlin 45 to the firepower that a pair of cannon and four .303 machine guns could deliver, the machine looked every inch a femme fatale. Something felt more lethal about the new Mark V's. Beautiful, graceful but absolutely lethal - it was, to all extents and purposes, a shark in the air.

Stanford's eyes scanned the grouped machines, desperately searching for the aircraft that bore his code letters - XI-G. He found it in the corner, with it's navalised wings folded up across the cockpit. Stanford barely even registered the two Americans in the hangar as he walked, as fast as one could call a walk, towards the machine. He ran his hand across the engine cowling, feeling the smooth metal under his palms. The exhausts were still as shiny as a new penny and the entire aircraft seemed to be in prime condition, as if it had just rolled out of the factory. Stanford wasn't sure if the aircraft had ever even been flown before.

"Lets see those Yellow Nose Bastards match this"

He thought to himself. New crates were exactly what 319 Squadron needed to go against the ever increasing numbers of Jerry's latest variant of the 109 - the F models that had carved the unit up so badly over Spain. Stanford turned away from the aircraft, this time searching for paint. His squadron codes were present on the aircraft, but it lacked the personal touch. Armed only with two small tins of paint, one white and one black, Stanford set about painting fifteen white Swastikas under the starboard side of the cockpit and then, switching both colour and side, he painted the words

F/O D.J. STANFORD

The personalisation of this Spitfire, however, was not yet done. Stanford's mounts traditionally carried a caricature of an RAF officer making off with a razor and Hitler's moustache. Unfortunately, such a work was far and away above his artistic capability. He'd have to commission one of the ships crew or a squadron member to do it for him.
Last edited by Goram on Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:02 am

Gibberan wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

"I've no clue, sir, your guess is as good as mine."

Carter shrugged. "Oh, well. I expect it'll be today, we've already been at sea for days. And yes, I'd love a bit of company."

"Outstanding. Lets get some chow." Jimmy said, opening the hatch that led to the mess. "I hope they have some cheese."

Kassaran
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kassaran » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:13 am

Kouralia wrote:As the day began across the boat ship, Colour Serjeant Smythe sat quietly in the room he'd taken as part of his quarters, writing leisurely in a note pad. Unlike certain members of the squadron, he was rather ambivalent about the water and the navy, even if both were frightfully boring. One was there and needed to be crossed, and the other was there and did things beneath the Army. Sighing, he glanced at a pocket watch before snapping it shut and tucking the watch back in its pocket. Sliding his legs off the bed, he closed the pad and left it neatly on the desk before checking his Browning and opening the door to his cabin, ready to head out and have some breakfast before returning to the numbing routine of every day upon the notThunderChild Llamrei.

F/S Mackenzie
Jonah's eyes snapped open, finally, after having kept in an effort to stay closed and shielded from the light, and he immediately regretted it. What little light there was hammered its way into his skull like a pair of daggers and they imbedded themselves both in the area just above the eyes. Needless to say, he still swung his legs out and over the edge of the top bunk, making sure to avoid rising his head up to fast into the roof of the quarters. His bunk mate was just leaving, and turning his head, eyes screwed into tiny slants, he spoke to the Colour Serjeant," Mornin' Colour Serjeant. Good night o' rest fer ya?"

Now, needless to say, Jonah was not in the least near as regimented as the steadfast soldier that Smythe was, but he had his quirks and one was the fact that in order to not fall out of his bunk, he slept in a life-vest. One might say he looked goofy, but his argument was they were on a definitely sinkable ship and if the craft got struck by a 'Uey as he fondly dubbed the predatory German war machines, then he wanted to be able to run to the top deck and jump out over the water and not worry about sinking too fast. However, he also had another quirk, that until he had entirely roused himself from his sleepy stupor, he was liable to say things of an incredibly ignorant and unintelligent matter as what followed.

"With you sleepin' underneath, I actually felt pretty damned safe, not every day you get to sleep on top!" now this was only the most recent of sleep-talk conversations he'd tried to start, but almost immediately he caught the unintended wordplay, and finding himself unable to take back, he hopped down from his bunk, his eyes wide open now, and almost pleaded with the other to disregard that last remark as he didn't actually make himself properly clear, though most of what he found himself exclaiming was just meaningless bumbling.
Beware: Walls of Text Generally appear Above this Sig.
Zarkenis Ultima wrote:Tristan noticed footsteps behind him and looked there, only to see Eric approaching and then pointing his sword at the girl. He just blinked a few times at this before speaking.

"Put that down, Mr. Eric." He said. "She's obviously not a chicken."
The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:
The United Remnants of America wrote:You keep that cheap Chinese knock-off away from the real OG...

bloody hell, mate.
that's a real deal. We just don't buy the license rights.

The Tiger Kingdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Tiger Kingdom » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:55 am

Finally getting the safe unlocked, Page swung the door open and withdrew the heavy folder that Royce had given him. Feeling its heft, he carried it back onto his bed and began to flick through it once again, in preparation for the day's briefing. He was far from ready - he was, after all, just wearing his undershirt and shorts - but he could spare a few minutes to get his thoughts together.

As he did so, he ran his hand through his hair. It was beginning to grow back quite nicely and evenly, although it was still a good deal shorter and spikier than he would have liked. It wasn't all bad, though - it really had been rather vain of him to keep it as long as it was before he'd been captured. Long hair in a combat zone was a genuine liability, and while it had never given him much of a problem, having something your enemy could easily grab onto in close-combat conditions wasn't a good idea. He could see Alix had already gotten the same idea, which was good.
Maybe I should keep it this short?
He'd decide later.
Looking over the intelligence summaries, photos, maps and directives, as well as the notes he'd taken for the presentation, he could feel the edges of his eyes burning, most likely from sleep deprivation. He...had not been sleeping well since the voyage had began, or since he'd gotten out of the hospital at all, really. In fact, he'd been feeling very out of sorts in a way that was hard to explain.

It wasn't coming from his broken arm, or his fingers. Those would ache occasionally, but they were nothing aspirin couldn't handle. The damage from the shocks was more noticeable - his upper arm would burn and pulse fiercely on occasion, but it went away after a time, mostly. It wasn't nightmares, either - oddly enough, while he'd had those frequently before his incarceration, they seemed to have entirely stopped. He just felt numb almost all the time...just laying awake at nights, staring up at the ceiling, mind totally blank for hours on end. And when he wasn't numb, he was felt a gnawing in his guts that was shamefully close to fear.

What was he afraid of? He didn't even know. He'd long, long since left behind any real feeling of combat jitters behind years ago, but when he thought of going back into action, even in the limited capacity he was going to be allowed to do with his injuries, it made his breathing get fast and heavy, and started up a nervous sweat. And all that did was make him feel even more sick and ashamed of himself. So, he'd just sort of...hidden away these last few days, trying to avoid talking to people out of fear of revealing how weak he was. He hadn't even met the crew yet, really.

As he thought about it, folder still in his hands, the idea of giving a briefing in a condition like this scared him half to death.
Come on. Get a hold of yourself.
Page shook his head. No point avoiding this; it's got to get done. Come on, you'll feel better after a shower...

Half an hour or so later...

Even in his distracted and negative state of mind, Page couldn't help but admit how nice it was that this tub had showers in their rooms, even if they were a bit on the small and primitive side. Pulling on a decent dress shirt and his pants after drying off, he was feeling marginally better, but he was still definitely below maximum.
As he looked up from tying the final button, his eyes alighted on a small bottle in the cabinet mounted above the sink, behind his toothbrush and right next to the carton of Luckies. It was his, he'd put it there, but he'd forgotten exactly what it was. He reached out and flicked the top off, examining the little pills inside.

Methedrine. That's what it was. Pep pills, RAF issue.

Could use some of these...
He'd never been a big fan of these things. Some pilots he was friends with swore by the things, but whenever he'd tried them, he just felt gross and hyperactive for hours, his mind going miles a minute and his mouth not managing to keep up with anything coherent. But with him being as miserable as he was now...surely it could all balance out, maybe?
Worth a shot.
With only a pittance of hesitation, he downed two tablets with a mouthful of water. No immediate effect followed, but he hadn't been expecting too much immediately. After finishing up, affixing his cap, and picking up the folder, he exited his room, and ventured about four feet across the hall to Alix and Kaya's room.

When he knocked, Alix answered.
"Oh! Morning, Captain. What's going on?"
"Page held up the dossier. "Morning, Flight - it's briefing time. I was hoping you could help me track down the squadron while I get the room ready down the hall."
Alix jokingly rolled her eyes. "On it. I'll be back in a day or so, I think they've all pretty much scattered."
"Fifteen minutes? I think you could do it."
"I'll try my best."
She shifted to a more concerned tone. "Are you feeling all right? You look...really pale."
"I'm fine, thanks," Page shrugged, maybe a bit too casually. "Never better."
"If you say so...I'll get on tracking them down."
Last edited by The Tiger Kingdom on Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
When the war is over
Got to start again
Try to hold a trace of what it was back then
You and I we sent each other stories
Just a page I'm lost in all its glory
How can I go home and not get blown away

Gibberan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Gibberan » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:46 pm

Carter wandered into the wide open briefing room that the kind WAAF Lieutenant had directed him and Jimmy to when she had encountered them in the hallways. Jimmy had wandered off somewhere, but Carter knew he'd be back soon. He looked around. There was no one in the room. Quietly, he took a seat at the front of the room, checked his watch and looked around once more (as if someone would have appeared in between the time when he entered the room and when he sat down). He had brought his sketchpad with him, and took out a pencil. He started sketching out his design for the plane's nose art, a bullet curving drastically and hitting Hitler with the word Longshot III above it. (Longshot II was in the Tempsford hangars and Longshot I was scattered among the hills of Guadalajara in Spain). Eventually he finished. Putting away his sketchpad, he relaxed back in his chair, and waited.

Proud Esquarian!

United Kingdom of Poland
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 08, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby United Kingdom of Poland » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:58 pm

Polanski was adding the finishing touches to his aircraft when Noble found him. His nose art was a simple one. It featured a simplified version of the Egyptian god Horus, a sword in each hand. Written over and under it was the words Walczący sokół II, or Fighting Falcon 2. While not your traditional nose art nor a symbol generally associated with either Poland or the RAF Horus, known in Egyptian mythology as "The Avenger", fit his mission in life now. To avenge his country and countrymen for was happening to them under the hands of the Germans. He also didn't paint the kill symbols on his aircraft, preferring to keep them written down on a piece of paper in his pocket. Heading down to the briefing room he found the American, Carter to be the only one there. "Morning Carter, how's the design coming on your nose art."

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:25 pm

Jimmy walked into the briefing room, having taken a moment to use the head while he still had the chance, and sat down next to Carter and Polanski. He too, was contemplating his nose art. His sketches were in his quarters, though, and so couldn't show them to his comrades.

"Sirs." Jimmy said, as he nodded in acknowledgement to them.

Morrdh
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 16, 2008
Democratic Socialists

Postby Morrdh » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:42 am

When the call to assemble for a briefing came Charlie made his way to the briefing room, though as was his custom now he had his Mae West close to hand and seated himself as close to the room's exit as he could in order to ensure a speedy exit if a German U-boat decided to waste a torpedo upon them. To help calm his nerves a bit he lit up a cigarette and waited for the briefing to behind, curious as to what the operation was all about.

Still crutches bound, Kaya made her own way to the briefing room and seeing that she'd arrived before Stanford seated herself down next to an empty seat.
Irish/Celtic Themed Nation - Factbook

In your Uplink, hijacking your guard band.

Gibberan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Gibberan » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:10 pm

United Kingdom of Poland wrote:Polanski was adding the finishing touches to his aircraft when Noble found him. His nose art was a simple one. It featured a simplified version of the Egyptian god Horus, a sword in each hand. Written over and under it was the words Walczący sokół II, or Fighting Falcon 2. While not your traditional nose art nor a symbol generally associated with either Poland or the RAF Horus, known in Egyptian mythology as "The Avenger", fit his mission in life now. To avenge his country and countrymen for was happening to them under the hands of the Germans. He also didn't paint the kill symbols on his aircraft, preferring to keep them written down on a piece of paper in his pocket. Heading down to the briefing room he found the American, Carter to be the only one there. "Morning Carter, how's the design coming on your nose art."
Carter saluted the Flight Lieutenant, and smiled. "Great, thanks. I was just drawing it out, waiting for the briefing to get ready. Yours?"
Grenartia wrote:Jimmy walked into the briefing room, having taken a moment to use the head while he still had the chance, and sat down next to Carter and Polanski. He too, was contemplating his nose art. His sketches were in his quarters, though, and so couldn't show them to his comrades.

"Jimmy," Carter nodded, then added, jokingly, "Where you been?"

Proud Esquarian!

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:46 pm

Gibberan wrote:
United Kingdom of Poland wrote:Polanski was adding the finishing touches to his aircraft when Noble found him. His nose art was a simple one. It featured a simplified version of the Egyptian god Horus, a sword in each hand. Written over and under it was the words Walczący sokół II, or Fighting Falcon 2. While not your traditional nose art nor a symbol generally associated with either Poland or the RAF Horus, known in Egyptian mythology as "The Avenger", fit his mission in life now. To avenge his country and countrymen for was happening to them under the hands of the Germans. He also didn't paint the kill symbols on his aircraft, preferring to keep them written down on a piece of paper in his pocket. Heading down to the briefing room he found the American, Carter to be the only one there. "Morning Carter, how's the design coming on your nose art."
Carter saluted the Flight Lieutenant, and smiled. "Great, thanks. I was just drawing it out, waiting for the briefing to get ready. Yours?"
Grenartia wrote:Jimmy walked into the briefing room, having taken a moment to use the head while he still had the chance, and sat down next to Carter and Polanski. He too, was contemplating his nose art. His sketches were in his quarters, though, and so couldn't show them to his comrades.

"I just had to use the head, that's all." Jimmy said, stealing a glance at Carter's sketchpad. "Also, if I do say so, that's some amazing art, sir."

Gibberan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Gibberan » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:06 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Gibberan wrote:Carter saluted the Flight Lieutenant, and smiled. "Great, thanks. I was just drawing it out, waiting for the briefing to get ready. Yours?"

"I just had to use the head, that's all." Jimmy said, stealing a glance at Carter's sketchpad. "Also, if I do say so, that's some amazing art, sir."

Carter followed Jimmy's glance down to the sketchpad in his hands. "Oh this? Nah, it's just a rough drawing, a sketch. Me and F/L Polanski over here are both contemplating the nose art for the Spits down below. While we're waiting for everyone else that is." he said, looking around. "Say did you see anybody in the hall heading over here? Looks like we're missing a few people."

Proud Esquarian!

Kouralia
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 30, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kouralia » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:17 pm

Kassaran wrote:
Kouralia wrote:As the day began across the boat ship, Colour Serjeant Smythe sat quietly in the room he'd taken as part of his quarters, writing leisurely in a note pad. Unlike certain members of the squadron, he was rather ambivalent about the water and the navy, even if both were frightfully boring. One was there and needed to be crossed, and the other was there and did things beneath the Army. Sighing, he glanced at a pocket watch before snapping it shut and tucking the watch back in its pocket. Sliding his legs off the bed, he closed the pad and left it neatly on the desk before checking his Browning and opening the door to his cabin, ready to head out and have some breakfast before returning to the numbing routine of every day upon the notThunderChild Llamrei.

F/S Mackenzie
Jonah's eyes snapped open, finally, after having kept in an effort to stay closed and shielded from the light, and he immediately regretted it. What little light there was hammered its way into his skull like a pair of daggers and they imbedded themselves both in the area just above the eyes. Needless to say, he still swung his legs out and over the edge of the top bunk, making sure to avoid rising his head up to fast into the roof of the quarters. His bunk mate was just leaving, and turning his head, eyes screwed into tiny slants, he spoke to the Colour Serjeant," Mornin' Colour Serjeant. Good night o' rest fer ya?"

Now, needless to say, Jonah was not in the least near as regimented as the steadfast soldier that Smythe was, but he had his quirks and one was the fact that in order to not fall out of his bunk, he slept in a life-vest. One might say he looked goofy, but his argument was they were on a definitely sinkable ship and if the craft got struck by a 'Uey as he fondly dubbed the predatory German war machines, then he wanted to be able to run to the top deck and jump out over the water and not worry about sinking too fast. However, he also had another quirk, that until he had entirely roused himself from his sleepy stupor, he was liable to say things of an incredibly ignorant and unintelligent matter as what followed.

"With you sleepin' underneath, I actually felt pretty damned safe, not every day you get to sleep on top!" now this was only the most recent of sleep-talk conversations he'd tried to start, but almost immediately he caught the unintended wordplay, and finding himself unable to take back, he hopped down from his bunk, his eyes wide open now, and almost pleaded with the other to disregard that last remark as he didn't actually make himself properly clear, though most of what he found himself exclaiming was just meaningless bumbling.

"Yes..." Colour Smythe turned around, raising an eyebrow. "I can't say I offered much in the way of standing tall at gate, but..." He shrugged, "If it really has been making you feel better knowing there was a soldier in the room then I can't much fault you." Pointedly ignoring the odd wording, Smythe looked out of the door again, "Anyway, time is I'm going to head out onto the ship. Hopefully something will be breaking the routine soon before we begin to become complacent, hm?"
Kouralia:

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:31 am

Gibberan wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

Carter followed Jimmy's glance down to the sketchpad in his hands. "Oh this? Nah, it's just a rough drawing, a sketch. Me and F/L Polanski over here are both contemplating the nose art for the Spits down below. While we're waiting for everyone else that is." he said, looking around. "Say did you see anybody in the hall heading over here? Looks like we're missing a few people."

"I'm sorry, sir, I can't say I did, other than Lieutenant Noble. By the way, I'm sitting on some good nose art myself." Jimmy said. "What are you thinking up, sir?" he asked Polanski.

United Kingdom of Poland
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 08, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby United Kingdom of Poland » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:34 pm

Matt smiled. "First off Jimmy, you don't need to address me as sir, the names Matt. As for my design I'm well beyond the thinking stage my friend. its a picture of Horus with the words fighting falcon II bordering it."

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:57 pm

United Kingdom of Poland wrote:Matt smiled. "First off Jimmy, you don't need to address me as sir, the names Matt. As for my design I'm well beyond the thinking stage my friend. its a picture of Horus with the words fighting falcon II bordering it."

"Understood, Matt. I'm still adjusting. Back in my last squadron, they were real sticklers for procedure like that. Anyways. At the risk of sounding stupid, I've got to ask what a Horus is, exactly, as I've never heard of it before." Jimmy said. He was still trying to get used to the looser procedures in Excalibur Squadron compared to those with Eagle Squadron.

The Tamerelian Empire
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Tamerelian Empire » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:02 pm

Flight Sergeant Lev Sikorskivitch strode into the briefing room. He saw that the commanding officer hadn’t arrived yet; neither had most of the squadron for that matter.

What did I get myself into? He thought. I could have had a better life than being killed as some nobody in the RAF. I don’t even speak English, how are people supposed to get to know me?

But he put these thoughts aside as he cautiously walked over to a group of three men near the front of the room, who appeared to be looking over sketches of nose art, probably for their new Spitfires.

“These British planes are junk. I’d rather have a Yakovlev over these,” he said, not realizing he had mumbled it aloud. “Oh, sorry,” he said, and then pointed to the nose art the three airmen were looking over. “Mind a b-b” he stuttered, trying to regain his composure. In better English than before, he said to the three, “Mind a bit of company?”
I can do all this through him who gives me strength. -Philippians 4:13

CRIMEA IS
UKRAINE

Proud Member of the Western Coalition
_✞✞✞-☧☧☧LEAGUE OF CHRISTIAN NATIONS MEMBER☧☧☧-✞✞✞_

President Joseph Hilton of the Tamerelian Empire

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:41 pm

The Tamerelian Empire wrote:Flight Sergeant Lev Sikorskivitch strode into the briefing room. He saw that the commanding officer hadn’t arrived yet; neither had most of the squadron for that matter.

What did I get myself into? He thought. I could have had a better life than being killed as some nobody in the RAF. I don’t even speak English, how are people supposed to get to know me?

But he put these thoughts aside as he cautiously walked over to a group of three men near the front of the room, who appeared to be looking over sketches of nose art, probably for their new Spitfires.

“These British planes are junk. I’d rather have a Yakovlev over these,” he said, not realizing he had mumbled it aloud. “Oh, sorry,” he said, and then pointed to the nose art the three airmen were looking over. “Mind a b-b” he stuttered, trying to regain his composure. In better English than before, he said to the three, “Mind a bit of company?”

Jimmy stared up at the man, apparently a Flight Sergeant as well, with the Russian accent, who apparently had never flown a real plane before. He had no idea what a Yakovlev was, but he had flown more than his fair share of planes, and found the Spit to easily be right up there as one of the best.

"Sure, come on over and shoot the shit with us. By the way, what's your name, stranger?" he asked. "Also, I know from experience that Spitfires are pretty kickass machines."

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse