NATION

PASSWORD

Traveller's Café 2: Discussion, tea, brainstorming & advice

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:45 pm

Valenfel wrote:How exactly do interest threads work?

Basic outlines, explanations, ideas, a place for brainstorming?

I'm gonna give it a go, I suppose.

Pretty much.
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Alleniana
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 23, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Alleniana » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:46 pm

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

But I haven't seen much of an improvement in any of the magic settings I've looked over. If there were some sort of a set of basic Laws of Physics with regards to magic, I wouldn't have as much of a problem, and I'd have even less if the actual laws of physics couldn't be broken (bent, yes, but not broken) by the laws of magic.

Avatar The Last Airbender, The Dark Tower, A Song of Ice and Fire, His Dark Materials, etc, etc.

Most settings have a sort of Magic A is Magic A.

You linked to to TV tropes.
You just stole 10 minutes of my life.
Cruel.

Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Agritum » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:36 am

Grenartia wrote:

But I haven't seen much of an improvement in any of the magic settings I've looked over. If there were some sort of a set of basic Laws of Physics with regards to magic, I wouldn't have as much of a problem, and I'd have even less if the actual laws of physics couldn't be broken (bent, yes, but not broken) by the laws of magic.

Avatar The Last Airbender, The Dark Tower, A Song of Ice and Fire, His Dark Materials, etc, etc.

....you missed Harry Potter.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:37 am

Agritum wrote:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Avatar The Last Airbender, The Dark Tower, A Song of Ice and Fire, His Dark Materials, etc, etc.

....you missed Harry Potter.

Admittedly, I don't know why that didn't pop into my head.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Alleniana
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Alleniana » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:38 am

Agritum wrote:....you missed Harry Potter.

Admittedly, I don't know why that didn't pop into my head.

I'm actually surprised how few Harry Potter RPs there are on P2TM. You'd expect such a popular fandom would spark RPs by the bunch, but it doesn't.

Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Agritum » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:40 am

Alleniana wrote:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Admittedly, I don't know why that didn't pop into my head.

I'm actually surprised how few Harry Potter RPs there are on P2TM. You'd expect such a popular fandom would spark RPs by the bunch, but it doesn't.

There used to be a lot, but they were usually copycats of the "Hey let's recreate Hogwarts!" type.

Alleniana
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Alleniana » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:47 am

Agritum wrote:
Alleniana wrote:I'm actually surprised how few Harry Potter RPs there are on P2TM. You'd expect such a popular fandom would spark RPs by the bunch, but it doesn't.

There used to be a lot, but they were usually copycats of the "Hey let's recreate Hogwarts!" type.

Oh, hmm. Would have been novel at first, but quickly gotten boring. I can see why they are no more.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:49 am

Nationstatelandsville wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

To be perfectly frank, you've been reading shit fantasy, then.

I'm not talking about books I've read. I'm talking about shit I've seen on this site.

Grenartia wrote:

I've not seen/read any of those (though I've seen most of FMA:B) Nor have I seen anything set on here with rules (not saying they don't exist, just that I've yet to see them).

If I ever do a magic setting, I want to mix Magic A is Magic A with Minovsky Physics, or, basically, FMA with more elaboration.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:50 am

Grenartia wrote:
Nationstatelandsville wrote:To be perfectly frank, you've been reading shit fantasy, then.

I'm not talking about books I've read. I'm talking about shit I've seen on this site.

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Avatar The Last Airbender, The Dark Tower, A Song of Ice and Fire, His Dark Materials, etc, etc.

I've not seen/read any of those (though I've seen most of FMA:B) Nor have I seen anything set on here with rules (not saying they don't exist, just that I've yet to see them).

If I ever do a magic setting, I want to mix Magic A is Magic A with Minovsky Physics, or, basically, FMA with more elaboration.

You haven't seen Elfen High then. It's why I have a powergrid.
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:53 am

Grenartia wrote:

You haven't seen Elfen High then. It's why I have a powergrid.

Indeed, I haven't. Mainly because by the time I wanted to get into it, there was so much shit yall did that I knew I wouldn't have been able to jump into it.

Powergrid?
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.

The Broken Russian States
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Broken Russian States » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:59 am

What's with the nations in RPs that are supposed to be around 90% realism, then people who control Spain invade a former French Colony, without support, regardless the fact they have -Infinity money?
Somewhat official debating account of Roski

Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:52 am

Is it okay to take over an RP if the OP hasn't been active for about a month, but the RP'ers in said RP are still alive and well and want to continue on with the plot?

Of course, this doesn't really work in story-driven RP's, due to the OP likely having all the knowledge of the RP in their head, but the RP I am thinking of is a sandbox RP so it works better there.
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Agritum » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:34 am

Corrian wrote:Is it okay to take over an RP if the OP hasn't been active for about a month, but the RP'ers in said RP are still alive and well and want to continue on with the plot?

Of course, this doesn't really work in story-driven RP's, due to the OP likely having all the knowledge of the RP in their head, but the RP I am thinking of is a sandbox RP so it works better there.

Make a separate IC thread and work from there.

Terintania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Terintania » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:35 am

Agritum wrote:
Corrian wrote:Is it okay to take over an RP if the OP hasn't been active for about a month, but the RP'ers in said RP are still alive and well and want to continue on with the plot?

Make a separate IC thread and work from there.

He was actually planning on making a new OOC and keeping the IC, so we can keep moving on from where we were in the IC
Times are looking grim these days~

Ularn
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:23 am

Terintania wrote:
Agritum wrote:Make a separate IC thread and work from there.

He was actually planning on making a new OOC and keeping the IC, so we can keep moving on from where we were in the IC

One significant problem with that is that if you have any problems in the IC the mods are unlikely to recognize your right to request post deletions, player ejections, or anything else of the kind, since you won't be the owner of the thread. Making a new IC thread grants you complete control over the RP and mod support to enforce your decision, provided the new thread is created in good faith (as opposed to the "screw you" spinoff threads sometimes started, often by players ejected from the original) and nothing significant has been copied from the original IC thread without permission because that would be plagiarism
ULARN INTERSTELLAR FEDERATION
Many Worlds; One Ring!
FACTBOOK | Q&A | EMBASSIES & FOREIGN OFFICE | #NSFT | #NSLegion | TRIPLICATE DEFENCE INDUSTRIES
P2tM
Broken World: Beastmasters | Of Zombies and Men
Jesus was a carpenter, so really I'm the one doing God's work - all anyone else cares about is what he got up to on the dole!

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:27 am

Ularn wrote:
Terintania wrote:He was actually planning on making a new OOC and keeping the IC, so we can keep moving on from where we were in the IC

One significant problem with that is that if you have any problems in the IC the mods are unlikely to recognize your right to request post deletions, player ejections, or anything else of the kind, since you won't be the owner of the thread. Making a new IC thread grants you complete control over the RP and mod support to enforce your decision, provided the new thread is created in good faith (as opposed to the "screw you" spinoff threads sometimes started, often by players ejected from the original) and nothing significant has been copied from the original IC thread without permission because that would be plagiarism

I'm sure the mods would be more understanding in light of extenuating circumstances (which an inactive OP almost certainly qualifies as), though it would probably be best to ask them first. [/notamod]

Ularn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:32 am

Grenartia wrote:
Ularn wrote:One significant problem with that is that if you have any problems in the IC the mods are unlikely to recognize your right to request post deletions, player ejections, or anything else of the kind, since you won't be the owner of the thread. Making a new IC thread grants you complete control over the RP and mod support to enforce your decision, provided the new thread is created in good faith (as opposed to the "screw you" spinoff threads sometimes started, often by players ejected from the original) and nothing significant has been copied from the original IC thread without permission because that would be plagiarism

I'm sure the mods would be more understanding in light of extenuating circumstances (which an inactive OP almost certainly qualifies as), though it would probably be best to ask them first. [/notamod]

I lurk in the Moderation board a fair bit and my experience is that even in the event of an inactive OP, the mods will be reluctant to support remaining RPers, encouraging them to contact the inactive OP and have them submit the request themselves. Only when the OP has actually CTE'd or communication with them is somehow otherwise rendered impossible will the mods generally consider such third party requests.
Many Worlds; One Ring!
FACTBOOK | Q&A | EMBASSIES & FOREIGN OFFICE | #NSFT | #NSLegion | TRIPLICATE DEFENCE INDUSTRIES
P2tM
Jesus was a carpenter, so really I'm the one doing God's work - all anyone else cares about is what he got up to on the dole!

Terintania
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Terintania » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:34 am

Ularn wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

I lurk in the Moderation board a fair bit and my experience is that even in the event of an inactive OP, the mods will be reluctant to support remaining RPers, encouraging them to contact the inactive OP and have them submit the request themselves. Only when the OP has actually CTE'd or communication with them is somehow otherwise rendered impossible will the mods generally consider such third party requests.

The Op's nation no longer exists, so....

Ularn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:38 am

Terintania wrote:
Ularn wrote:I lurk in the Moderation board a fair bit and my experience is that even in the event of an inactive OP, the mods will be reluctant to support remaining RPers, encouraging them to contact the inactive OP and have them submit the request themselves. Only when the OP has actually CTE'd or communication with them is somehow otherwise rendered impossible will the mods generally consider such third party requests.

The Op's nation no longer exists, so....

Well, in that case you might have more luck but I imagine it would still mean the mods taking at least another day to deliberate over any request you made, and in the absence of an OP they would probably want to see the backing of a significant number of the RP's participants to any such request, which is also likely to cause delays and confusion. I'd still say it's far simpler to just start a new thread and avoid the whole potential lengthy quagmire.
Many Worlds; One Ring!
P2tM

Terintania
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Terintania » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:41 am

Ularn wrote:
Terintania wrote:The Op's nation no longer exists, so....

Well, in that case you might have more luck but I imagine it would still mean the mods taking at least another day to deliberate over any request you made, and in the absence of an OP they would probably want to see the backing of a significant number of the RP's participants to any such request, which is also likely to cause delays and confusion. I'd still say it's far simpler to just start a new thread and avoid the whole potential lengthy quagmire.

The whole point of doing this is so the we can continue what we're doing. We don't want to start over with a new thread and a new plot. If we made a new IC as well as OOC, we would have to deal with the aspects of making an RP based off the exact same thing that the other one was, because otherwise there would be no point, really. We want to continue from where we are.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:43 am

Terintania wrote:
Ularn wrote:Well, in that case you might have more luck but I imagine it would still mean the mods taking at least another day to deliberate over any request you made, and in the absence of an OP they would probably want to see the backing of a significant number of the RP's participants to any such request, which is also likely to cause delays and confusion. I'd still say it's far simpler to just start a new thread and avoid the whole potential lengthy quagmire.

The whole point of doing this is so the we can continue what we're doing. We don't want to start over with a new thread and a new plot. If we made a new IC as well as OOC, we would have to deal with the aspects of making an RP based off the exact same thing that the other one was, because otherwise there would be no point, really. We want to continue from where we are.

I honestly doubt they'd deny the request, and that they'd take that long.

Ularn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:54 am

Grenartia wrote:
Terintania wrote:The whole point of doing this is so the we can continue what we're doing. We don't want to start over with a new thread and a new plot. If we made a new IC as well as OOC, we would have to deal with the aspects of making an RP based off the exact same thing that the other one was, because otherwise there would be no point, really. We want to continue from where we are.

The mods spend the majority of their forum-based lives policing General. Problems here or in Diplomacy, unless they involve clear trolling or flaming, usually aren't such a high priority because of the slower pace of the boards compared to General's quick fire "debate" which often gets very ugly, very fast. By comparison, that means our problems often don't get dealt with as rapidly, simply because they usually aren't such critical problems to begin with.
Many Worlds; One Ring!
P2tM

Terintania
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Terintania » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:03 am

We'll see how it goes.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:09 am

Ularn wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

The mods spend the majority of their forum-based lives policing General. Problems here or in Diplomacy, unless they involve clear trolling or flaming, usually aren't such a high priority because of the slower pace of the boards compared to General's quick fire "debate" which often gets very ugly, very fast. By comparison, that means our problems often don't get dealt with as rapidly, simply because they usually aren't such critical problems to begin with.

Still. RP problems almost always get solved in a timely manner.

Ayreonia
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ayreonia » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:28 am

Alleniana wrote:
Ayreonia wrote:Yup.

Well, in the beginning anyway. Alex I was a nice guy, there's still places named after him around here. His view on Finland was basically "yo, just pay some taxes or whatevs and we're cool. Conscription? Nah, we're Russia, bitch. We got enough men. Just don't rebel or anything."

Anyway, Nordic history is one big clusterfuck of wars, conquests and shifting alliances. It's hard to believe, seeing as how stable and boring this place is nowadays.

History is fascinating.

Russia was sorta the casual empire in the Renaissance; they didn't pull centralization or fight all that much or do any of the crazy shit anyone did, except for muck about in Siberia. But then WWI, Soviets, all went to hell.

Yeah, though it's interesting to find how overall stable the borders have been; since the main 3 of Denmark, Norway and Sweden were established, the main changes were a few people absorbing Norway sometimes, and Finland leaving. Apart from that, it was all small fry; Iceland is big, but then there's Jamtland, Aland, Skane, Gotland, Ingria, Livonia, just mucking about and getting kicked about.

History is fucked up. It's also awesome. It's fascinating how stuff that happened hudreds of years ago still affects your daily life. Finland here, for example, has always been a battleground, a convenient field for Sweden and Russia to kick the living shit out of each other. Our culture still reflects that.

Anyway, I'll stop the threadjack now, as fun as it is.
Images likely to cause widespread offense, such as the swastika, are not permitted as national flags. Please see the One-Stop Rules Shop ("Acceptable Flag Policy").

Photoshopped birds flipping the bird not acceptable.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse