NATION

PASSWORD

2013 BEST OF P2TM AWARDS ( Voting/Awards Thread )

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Jessjohnesik
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Jessjohnesik » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:34 am

Mincaldenteans wrote:I'm sure they will, in all we all have our opinions and I look forward to seeing theirs.

To sum it all up from my perspective:
1) Awards should not be given on a yearly basis but on a monthly (or every 3 months, or bi yearly) to those that a Participating OPs can agree on.
2) Awards are too narrowed and give little to credit those that have indeed put time and effort to what they have done.
3) Memos/Notes from the awarded players is invaluable to those wanting to learn from any source.
4) Creativity cannot be contained to such specifics and will eventually lead to unfairness and bias simply based on who responds to threads and who doesn't.
5) Communication has and always will be key to making an RP sink or swim; while rewards surely won't let said player stand out, their memos, knowledge and opinions matter and will likely help others in the future.
6) Its not perfect, therefore reward systems will likely need to be based on a theme. (i.e., January, Spotlight Player: Altito Asmoro, s/he will give a memo on what they've done to improve him/herself and what made them stick to what they do and why they do.)

And I don't get the whole unite and live happily ever after with cupcakes. I never said it was perfect, I did say it was a venue to learn from those that are recognized.

I suppose I can agree with this as long as there is no 'unification' or anything of the sort. Just awards. Because, quite frankly, there are enough people who deserved an award but didn't get one.
ಠ_ಠ Proud owner of the Mystery Genre RPer award 2014!!
Pro: Science, environmentalism, equal rights, const. monarchy, mixed economy, Scientocracy, abortion, Western Europe, NZ, Japan, Australia, Nordic countries, SKorea, EU, immigration control, Merkel, Buddhism, Israel, centrism, eurofederalism, GMOs, soft euroscepticism
Against: Biophobia, social Conservatism, excessive militarism/pacifism, hedonism, totalitarianism, anarchism, fascism, communism, feminism SJWs/BLM, corruption, Islam, Christianity, Palestine, nazism, Russia, Arab League, Saudi Arabia, Greece, traditionalism, moralism, UKIP, uncontrolled immigration
Political Graph

I wonder if you're the worst person I've ever met; at a certain age it's hard to recall... ~ Olenna to Cersei,Game of Thrones

Mincaldenteans
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Mincaldenteans » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:38 am

Jessjohnesik wrote:
Mincaldenteans wrote:I'm sure they will, in all we all have our opinions and I look forward to seeing theirs.

1) Awards should not be given on a yearly basis but on a monthly (or every 3 months, or bi yearly) to those that a Participating OPs can agree on.
2) Awards are too narrowed and give little to credit those that have indeed put time and effort to what they have done.
3) Memos/Notes from the awarded players is invaluable to those wanting to learn from any source.
4) Creativity cannot be contained to such specifics and will eventually lead to unfairness and bias simply based on who responds to threads and who doesn't.
5) Communication has and always will be key to making an RP sink or swim; while rewards surely won't let said player stand out, their memos, knowledge and opinions matter and will likely help others in the future.
6) Its not perfect, therefore reward systems will likely need to be based on a theme. (i.e., January, Spotlight Player: Altito Asmoro, s/he will give a memo on what they've done to improve him/herself and what made them stick to what they do and why they do.)

And I don't get the whole unite and live happily ever after with cupcakes. I never said it was perfect, I did say it was a venue to learn from those that are recognized.

I suppose I can agree with this as long as there is no 'unification' or anything of the sort. Just awards. Because, quite frankly, there are enough people who deserved an award but didn't get one.

I never said unification, just a place that both recognizes and imparts knowledge from those so recognized. Its vastly imperfect, it'll take a lot of dedication from participating OPs, but at least there is some communication from all those involved and in P2TM, rather than none at all. As it stands, I find the reward system too broad, and horribly too narrow to be given on a yearly basis. So would a monthly, frankly, there's no denying it. A system would need to be created if we're to continually award those that are deserving as opposed to 'shaving off' those that are equally so.
Last edited by Mincaldenteans on Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Of the Quendi
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 18, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Of the Quendi » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:47 am

1. You previously stated that you wanted to combat elitism, how would letting Participating OP's hand out awards accomplish that, aren't they the elite?
2. What do you mean with "too narrow"?
Nation RP name
Arda i Eruhíni (short form)
Alcarinqua ar Meneldëa Arda i Eruhíni i sé Amanaranyë ar Aramanaranyë (long form)

Jessjohnesik
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Jessjohnesik » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:48 am

Mincaldenteans wrote:
Jessjohnesik wrote:

I never said unification, just a place that both recognizes and imparts knowledge from those so recognized. Its vastly imperfect, it'll take a lot of dedication from participating OPs, but at least there is some communication from all those involved and in P2TM, rather than none at all. As it stands, I find the reward system too broad, and horribly too narrow to be given on a yearly basis. So would a monthly, frankly, there's no denying it. A system would need to be created if we're to continually award those that are deserving as opposed to 'shaving off' those that are equally so.

Well then I call for different awards for realism and non-realism. Or else its not fair.
Pro: Science, environmentalism, equal rights, const. monarchy, mixed economy, Scientocracy, abortion, Western Europe, NZ, Japan, Australia, Nordic countries, SKorea, EU, immigration control, Merkel, Buddhism, Israel, centrism, eurofederalism, GMOs, soft euroscepticism
Against: Biophobia, social Conservatism, excessive militarism/pacifism, hedonism, totalitarianism, anarchism, fascism, communism, feminism SJWs/BLM, corruption, Islam, Christianity, Palestine, nazism, Russia, Arab League, Saudi Arabia, Greece, traditionalism, moralism, UKIP, uncontrolled immigration
Political Graph

I wonder if you're the worst person I've ever met; at a certain age it's hard to recall... ~ Olenna to Cersei,Game of Thrones

Alleniana
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 23, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Alleniana » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:50 am

I think the issue is between compulsory and voluntary unification. Is that it?

Also, a random question, am I the only person who doesn't lurk? I know Esty does, Sentinel does, Min does, Nightkill doesn't lurk, he IS a lurk, and I suspect plenty of others lurk too.

The Tiger Kingdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Tiger Kingdom » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:51 am

Alleniana wrote:I think the issue is between compulsory and voluntary unification. Is that it?

Also, a random question, am I the only person who doesn't lurk? I know Esty does, Sentinel does, Min does, Nightkill doesn't lurk, he IS a lurk, and I suspect plenty of others lurk too.

*not responding because too busy lurking*
When the war is over
Got to start again
Try to hold a trace of what it was back then
You and I we sent each other stories
Just a page I'm lost in all its glory
How can I go home and not get blown away

Alleniana
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Alleniana » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:52 am

The Tiger Kingdom wrote:
Alleniana wrote:I think the issue is between compulsory and voluntary unification. Is that it?

*not responding because too busy lurking*

:lol2:

Jessjohnesik
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Jessjohnesik » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:54 am

Lurk?

Min lurks?
Political Graph

Mincaldenteans
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Mincaldenteans » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:59 am

Jessjohnesik wrote:

Lurk?

Min lurks?

Yes I lurk.

Jessjohnesik
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Jessjohnesik » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:00 am

Mincaldenteans wrote:
Jessjohnesik wrote:
Lurk?

Min lurks?

Yes I lurk.

Meanwhile I can see when you lurk. :p
Political Graph

Jessjohnesik
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Jessjohnesik » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:02 am

Alleniana wrote:Am I the only non-lurker?

I don't lurk.

Although I spy on people instead through my UCP. :p
Political Graph

Alleniana
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Alleniana » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:04 am

Jessjohnesik wrote:
Alleniana wrote:Am I the only non-lurker?

I don't lurk.

:p

Mincaldenteans
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Mincaldenteans » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:06 am

Of the Quendi wrote:

1. You previously stated that you wanted to combat elitism, how would letting Participating OP's hand out awards accomplish that, aren't they the elite?

Combat elitism, I admit, is a flawed and also broad and sweeping statement; I apologize now if it offends anyone. But do take note how many OPs, RPs, and players do we have simply in P2TM? The system would be flawed as it can't possible narrow down any individual on a monthly, tri-monthly, or bi-yearly basis. A council of OPs would take an extraordinary amount of dedication, and a voting system based entirely on those that are participating on that that nomination for that predetermined amount of time. Or you can cancel the whole idea, considering that that bias will always be taken into account. All of us have our pride and all of us would want to be recognized. As I see it, if there is to be a system, a yearly nomination would be too arbitrary, and also too narrow to make a selection. Hopefully this covers 1 & 2 in your questions. I also mentioned I haven't figured out the proverbial system, but as it stands people are being left out or simply unrecognized based solely on not participating in this thread for a one time affair. And what should we have the next year? Will we include 2013's entries or simply forget all those that have put such effort into what they have done? Do we keep nominating the same people with little to no explanation from nominee or winner? Or do we at least put a variety of winners into place so we can also learn from them?
Last edited by Mincaldenteans on Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jessjohnesik
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Jessjohnesik » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:19 am

Mincaldenteans wrote:
Of the Quendi wrote:1. You previously stated that you wanted to combat elitism, how would letting Participating OP's hand out awards accomplish that, aren't they the elite?

Combat elitism, I admit, is a flawed and also broad and sweeping statement; I apologize now if it offends anyone. But do take note how many OPs, RPs, and players do we have simply in P2TM? The system would be flawed as it can't possible narrow down any individual on a monthly, tri-monthly, or bi-yearly basis. A council of OPs would take an extraordinary amount of dedication, and a voting system based entirely on those that are participating on that that nomination for that predetermined amount of time. Or you can cancel the whole idea, considering that that bias will always be taken into account. All of us have our pride and all of us would want to be recognized. As I see it, if there is to be a system, a yearly nomination would be too arbitrary, and also too narrow to make a selection. Hopefully this covers 1 & 2 in your questions. I also mentioned I haven't figured out the proverbial system, but as it stands people are being left out or simply unrecognized based solely on not participating in this thread for a one time affair. And what should we have the next year? Will we include 2013's entries or simply forget all those that have put such effort into what they have done? Do we keep nominating the same people with little to no explanation from nominee or winner? Or do we at least put a variety of winners into place so we can also learn from them?

Oooh, we can have a fancy award ceremony and we choose what we wear??

Alleniana wrote:
Jessjohnesik wrote:
I don't lurk.

Don't you? :p
Political Graph

Constaniana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 10, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Constaniana » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:19 am

I've done it sometimes. I've also tried a name search, but I don't think I got any results that weren't from my posts or the EH OOC's. :p
Join Elementals 3, one of P2TM's oldest high fantasy roleplays, full of adventure, humour, and saving the world. Winner of the Best High Fantasy RP of P2TM twice in a row Choo Choo
Pro: Jesus Christ, Distributism, The Shire, House Atreides
Anti: The Antichrist, Communism, Mordor, House Harkonnen
Ameriganastan wrote:I work hard to think of those ludicrous Eric adventure stories, but I don't think I'd have come up with rescuing a three armed alchemist from goblin-monkeys in a million years.

Kudos.

Alleniana
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Alleniana » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:25 am

Jessjohnesik wrote:
Mincaldenteans wrote:

Alleniana wrote: :p

No >.>

Jessjohnesik
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Jessjohnesik » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:34 am

Alleniana wrote:
Jessjohnesik wrote:

No >.>

Oh.

Makes me feel like a stalker. :X
Political Graph

Alleniana
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Alleniana » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:38 am

Jessjohnesik wrote:
Alleniana wrote:No >.>

Oh.

Everybody lurks.
Except me.

Jessjohnesik
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Jessjohnesik » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:06 am

Alleniana wrote:
Jessjohnesik wrote:
Oh.

Everybody lurks.
Except me.

I'm sure you do as well. Perhaps as you sleepwalk. :p
Political Graph

Legital
Senator

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Legital » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:58 pm

Alleniana wrote:
Jessjohnesik wrote:
Oh.

Everybody lurks.
Except me.

Lurk, as in go through other RPs and just watch? I don't do that.

Also, in regards to this council of OPs or whatever it was called, who makes up the council? The P2TM Mentors?
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere."- Carl Sagan
"The Emperor Protects."
Male, Agnostic, Transhumanist, Independent (USA, politics)

Mincaldenteans
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Mincaldenteans » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:03 pm

Legital wrote:
Alleniana wrote:Everybody lurks.
Except me.

Lurk, as in go through other RPs and just watch? I don't do that.

Also, in regards to this council of OPs or whatever it was called, who makes up the council? The P2TM Mentors?

P2TM Mentors along with the OPs that are participating in that monthly nomination.

Cerillium
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 27, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Cerillium » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:27 pm

I hate to burst bubbles, but many OP don't have enough time in their day to track who to nominate and yada yada. I run a megathread. We have staff. Do I now ask my staff (who have real lives as well) to take on more responsibility because I work 12-14 hour shifts IRL? Will it be "OP-only" or can Co-OP also participate? What of those who have no idea about these monthly/quarterly awards? What about the same people receiving the same nominations every month? Is that fair? (You bet, if they churn out quality each and every day.) Some RP last only a page. Some OP are clueless people.

Esternial fashioned the Cafe. How many actually use it? He also fashioned the Multiverse Registry. How many use it? I'm amazed by how many people have been involved in P2TM since its inception yet are unaware of the things Esty established to help us network. This thread has been a sticky for a while yet Leg only discovered it after nominations were closed. Leg's active, too.

Yearly works. Somewhere in this thread someone said that the idea of an award inspired them to try harder next (this) year. That's really what it's about. It's not about pats on the back and "atta boys" every few months; a good OP will do that with his players DAILY if he really gives a shit about quality in his thread. It's about challenging people to work hard through the year. Good players and posts are remembered. We've never had a P2TM annual award thread but now that we have one, we can make footnotes (and save links) for next year. The Grammy is given yearly, as is the Oscar, and Time's Person of the Year is annual.

If I could recommend anything, it would be that we better define categories and the criteria for each.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man’s fears, and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination.

Legital
Senator

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Legital » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:51 pm

Cerillium wrote:I hate to burst bubbles, but many OP don't have enough time in their day to track who to nominate and yada yada. I run a megathread. We have staff. Do I now ask my staff (who have real lives as well) to take on more responsibility because I work 12-14 hour shifts IRL? Will it be "OP-only" or can Co-OP also participate? What of those who have no idea about these monthly/quarterly awards? What about the same people receiving the same nominations every month? Is that fair? (You bet, if they churn out quality each and every day.) Some RP last only a page. Some OP are clueless people.

Esternial fashioned the Cafe. How many actually use it? He also fashioned the Multiverse Registry. How many use it? I'm amazed by how many people have been involved in P2TM since its inception yet are unaware of the things Esty established to help us network. This thread has been a sticky for a while yet Leg only discovered it after nominations were closed. Leg's active, too.

Yearly works. Somewhere in this thread someone said that the idea of an award inspired them to try harder next (this) year. That's really what it's about. It's not about pats on the back and "atta boys" every few months; a good OP will do that with his players DAILY if he really gives a shit about quality in his thread. It's about challenging people to work hard through the year. Good players and posts are remembered. We've never had a P2TM annual award thread but now that we have one, we can make footnotes (and save links) for next year. The Grammy is given yearly, as is the Oscar, and Time's Person of the Year is annual.

If I could recommend anything, it would be that we better define categories and the criteria for each.

I'm not sure if the nomination thread would be able to last a year with not a lot of people attracted to it, which is why I believe a biannual process would be better. I agree that if it occurs too often every couple months or once a month, it could loose it's magic of winning a nomination.
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere."- Carl Sagan
"The Emperor Protects."
Male, Agnostic, Transhumanist, Independent (USA, politics)

The Carlisle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Carlisle » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:20 pm

CATEGORY: Roleplayer
Best OVERALL RP'er: Xing
Best Genre RP'er:
  • Mystery: N/A
  • High Fantasy: Nightkill, Rupudska
  • War: Monfrox
  • Comedy: Nationstatesville
  • School-based: Ferret Revolution
  • Nation RP: N/A
  • Crime:
N/A
Best Worldbuilder:
Best OP: Rupudska, Monfrox
Most Involved in P2TM: Nightkill
Funniest RP'er: Nationstatesville
Most Improved RP'er: Malshan
Best Writer (The "Novelist" Award): Kassaran

CATEGORY: Roleplay
Best OVERALL RP: New Gama
Best Genre RP:
  • Mystery: N/A
  • High Fantasy: Elfen High, Sylvan Academy
  • War: New Gama
  • Comedy: Elfen High, Personification Life
  • School-based: Elfen High, Sylvan Academy
  • Nation RP: N/A
  • Crime:
N/A
Best Lore/Worldbuilding RP: The Traveler's
Best RP Series: Elfen High, Personification Life
Funniest RP: Elfen High (Lewis)
Most Creative or Original RP Idea: Gama/ New Gama

CATEGORY: Character
Best OVERALL Character: Gilbert Jarnefeldt (Xing/ New Gama)
Funniest Character: Lewis (Nationstatesville/Elfen High)/ Erika Auttenburg (The Towers/ New Gama)
Most Original Character: Gustav Marconis (Malshan/ New Gama)

CATEGORY: Post
Best Fight or Fight Scene Post: Xing All the way across the skies.
Best Horror Post: N/A
Best Comedy Post (The "Funniest Post" Award): Nationstatesville
Best Heartwarming/Tearjerker Post: Psycentric/ Ferret Revolution

Edit: Sorry for my late entry.
Last edited by The Carlisle on Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Carly
Gayism enabler
Trans Girl
Radical Anti-Radical Feminist Feminist
S.W.I.F: Sex Worker Inclusionary Feminist.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse