NATION

PASSWORD

1969 Historical RP (IC)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kelmet
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 07, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Kelmet » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:57 am

New Deli
Government Capital Building
Top Secret/High-level state meeting

President Giri and his top generals, intelligence officials and economic experts. The present asked them here today after a week long trip to Washington to learn more about how capitalistic polices could help his nations economy grow. Of course, once these reforms went public the Soviets and Chinese may consider them a threat.

"General's, once these reforms go into effect at the end of this week we should expect only a major diplomatic backlash, but we should expect anything, deploy forces to the north and put additional unites on standby, "Yes Sir, Mr. President"- generals leave the room

"You, (Pointing at the economic experts) Make contact with our major corporations and get them ready for the reforms, so our stock market doesn't plummet and growth can begin immedietly."
"Yes Mr. President" - leaving the room

With the few men left in the room the President stood up
"If this causes any violence, we'll need help, NATO's to far away. We need to make our own"........He preceded to send the fallowing messages
OP TELL me the reactions of this message
Code: Select all
To: The governments of Iran. Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal, Burton, Tialand and Myanmar
I would care to invite you all to our capital to have a meeting of very serious, regional importance. I hope for everyone to attend

Meanwhile, an Unmarked plane heads for Washington D.C. its contents unknown
Last edited by Kelmet on Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Kel
Captain US Army Intelligence

Co-OP and OP Experience

Korencia
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Korencia » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:11 am

Dublin, 1st of January 1969

The Taoiseach Jack Lynch was sitting in his office, speaking with the Minister of Finance, the first morning of the new year, a sunny day in the nation's capital. Yet, it was a rather boring one, talks about the government's budget. First off, the Defence Forces annual share of the budget would increase, while a large economic programme was on the way.

With the end of the Second World War, the Cold War was a dominant subject in Irish, along with the Irish Question, the status of Northern Ireland. The Republic had not abandoned it's wish to unite Ireland, but as long as the situation remained this way, there was not much Lynch could do.

With the new year, several letters were to be send to various directions, the letter to the government of Great Britain being one of outmost importance.

Official Communiqe
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Republic of Ireland

To The Rt. Hon Harold Wilson MP, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland,

I would like to wish to you a happy new year, a message from the entire cabinet of the government of the Republic of Ireland. Given the rather recent, Northern Ireland Civil Rights Association riots, I personally feel that your government needs to end discrimination of Catholic Irish men and women in Ulster. Thus, the govermnet of (the) Republic of Ireland, demands the following to take place within six months.

• "One man, one vote" which will all people over the age of 18 to vote in local council elections and remove the multiple
    votes held by business owners - known as the "business vote".
  • An end to gerrymandering electoral wards to produce an artificial unionist majority.

• Prevention of discrimination in the allocation of government jobs.

• Prevention of discrimination in the allocation of council housing.

• The removal of the Civil Authorities (Special Powers) Act (Northern Ireland) 1922.

• The disbandment of the Ulster Special Constabulary (B Specials).

If we are to secure a stable environment in the region, we believe your government should try to accomplish the aforementioned demands/goals, as we all want to prevent further escalation of tensions both in Republic of Ireland and Ulster.

Yours,

Taoiseach Jack Lynch
Last edited by Korencia on Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Realm of Korencia

Chaotic Evil

The Time Alliance
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Time Alliance » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:00 pm

Jerusalem
West Jerusalem
Israel

Bullets flew through the ir as the Israeli Forces were fired upon by the Islamic backed Palestinian Liberation Organization. The PLO's troops were holding strategic positions around the West side of the town. Israeli forces were regaining ground quick as they battled the insurgents. In the front Israeli lines soldiers were getting shot down by the dozens. With-in moments the PLO had overtaken the front lines. One man, Treip Dert, had survived and was now sending a radio message to the Israeli forces on the eastern side.

*Static*

Come in. *Static* This is Wake squad communications. The western side of Jerusalem has been taken by the the PLO and are now heading your way. Hold th-*Static Static Static*

A PLO Stood over his dead body.

Eastern Side
Jerusalem
Israel

The Israelis got the Message. As soon as members of the PLO were sighted the Israelis opened fire. This took the PLO by surprise and they began to route from the battlefield, back into their newly captured West Jerusalem. This retreat didn't stop the Israelis as they advanced into the western portion of the city. Before long the PLO had retreated out of the city. In total 100 PLO, 68 Israeli Troops and 169 citizens were dead.

Israel
Prime Minister's Office

The Prime Minister heard news of the attack. Sighing he walked over to his podium. The press was already there. The cameraman gave the 3-2-1 sign as the Prime Minister began speaking .

Ladies and Gentlemen. Our country has suffered today at the hands of people who call themselves liberators. These Terrorists known as the Palestinian Liberation Army are a scourge to our holy lands. Starting today. Anyone found assisting this terrorist group will be denounced by Israel and will be taken out. Good day.
Last edited by The Time Alliance on Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ardboe Eire
Minister

Founded: May 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardboe Eire » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:26 pm

Cairo,Egypt
As Nasser heard the latest news from Israel he smiled with delight 'now the Israelis know that we Arabs will not be tramped into the dirt' he thought as he weighed up options.
He then had a thought.'The PLO shall be secretly supported in an operation to supply them in their struggle against the Israelis.Weapons shall be made available for Yasser Arafat' he smiled.Israel shall not have its own way forever.

To:Government of East Germany
Encryption:High

Dear Walter Ulbricht,
We the Egyptian government have suffered in the last few years.Annihilation of our Air Force and humiliation of losing the Sinai peninsula in the six day war has been hard to take.But we now wish to enact revenge upon the Israelis.We ask if at all possible for:
1.East German backing on the world stage.
2.To purchase military hardware.
3.For the East Germans to support the PLO.
4.Help in the training of a Egyptian secret police or spy-ring similar to the Stasi.
We hope these are acceptable.
Signed,
President Gamal Abdel Nasser

Military base,Cairo
Meanwhile I'm Cairo after a telephone call from high command the Commamdsr at the base begins to mobilise troops amd supply trucks.He does not understand why this is but he begins to follow the task accordingly.
RPs I'm participating in:

Die Wende:The change (Cold War RP)OOC/Signup:http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=235188&p=13832294#p13832294

World of 2013 RP(OOC/Sing-up page):http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=232224

East Vs. West (Cold War RP:OOC/Signups):http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=232162

Waztaskio
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 09, 2013
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Waztaskio » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:13 pm

President Johnson was on the last day of his trip, along with the President of Brazil finishing up some last minute discussions while riding to the Airport to leave.

"I just wanted to clarify our offer and how things shall be delivered, as for training your Military the General's I have brought you are not here to lead your men. They are here to lead your training program for the different branches as they would have the most experience in those fields, with a team of men to train yours. As for the delivery of the ships, I shall have them sent within the month, hopefully they should arrive before February. America shall recognize you as the legitimite government in South America and will open up the Economic contract you wish."

The Limo's pull onto the tarmac, on the side of the plane with the ramp leading up to it. Johnson's door swung open by the service as he looks towards the Brazilian President.

"I appreciate you taking me in on such short notice. As I am not going to be in office much longer, I wanted to get some important things done before I left. Good luck with your country."

President Johnson steps out of the Limo with flashes from all directions walking towards the plane and heads up the steps, greeted by two marines saluting him. Leaving Brazil for America in thirty minutes while the crew loads.

Back in the USA, over the state of California at a United States Air Force Base.
Radar has spotted the unidentified aircraft coming in from the west, not identifying itself and this is raising suspicion. Two McDonnell Douglas F-4's were launched to intercept and flew right on the wing of the aircraft who was 30 miles outside off the United States Coast.

"Attention Unidentified Aircraft, this is the United States Air Force, we are ordering you to divert to heading 275 to Vandenberg Air Force base. If you do not comply you shall be fired upon."
Last edited by Waztaskio on Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kelmet
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 07, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Kelmet » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:50 pm

Back in the USA, over the state of California at a United States Air Force Base.
Radar has spotted the unidentified aircraft coming in from the west, not identifying itself and this is raising suspicion. Two McDonnell Douglas F-4's were launched to intercept and flew right on the wing of the aircraft who was 30 miles outside off the United States Coast.

"Attention Unidentified Aircraft, this is the United States Air Force, we are ordering you to divert to heading 275 to Vandenberg Air Force base. If you do not comply you shall be fired upon."

With out verbally complying, the aircraft corrects its coarse via air controller instructions
Call me Kel
Captain US Army Intelligence

Co-OP and OP Experience

Waztaskio
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 09, 2013
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Waztaskio » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:36 pm

The pilots of the American Jet's would follow it to the airfield, causing it to land without any problems. The Air Traffic Controller then commands the pilot of the plane off the runway and to a special hangar. With tanks and guns pointed at the plane, it would enter the hangar and they would began to order them to shut down.

"Pilot, open all doors of your plane, we will bring a docking port and we will come onboard. Do not attempt to resist us or you will be shot."

The pilot would follow the instructions, and a USAF team would storm the plane with M16's, aiming at the men inside.

"LET ME SEE YOUR HANDS! HANDS NOW!"

There would be indian men on board, carrying a envalope in his hand and he would respond to the soldiers request.

"I have orders to hand this to the President of the United States. It is information about the Soviets he might be interested in. I request to see him!"

The Air Force base commander, after getting the all clear no armed hostiles were onboard, came to where the man was seated and spoke to him.

"Who are you, where did you come from, and why do you need to see our President?"

The man responds.

"I am from the country of India on a secret matter of the highest importance. We are sorry we couldn't make a official state visit, but as we are on close borders with the USSR, I don't think that would have went over to well, hints why we show up like this. I request to see President Johnson."

The Base Commander laughs a bit, looking at the rest of the people and the plane and orders his mean to treat them with dignaty until their identities are confirmed as they were Indian. The Base Commander then notified the National Security Advisor, as well as the Federal Bureau about the situation and they were dispatched to the base on suspicion of being spies. The Documents he was carrying were to apparently only to be seen by the President, and no one else. So they refused to show the men who questioned him about it. As they had no further options, and didn't want to call the Indian government under fear if these men are telling the truth, the United States could doom the country. They make a call to Air Force One.

The President gets word about a matter of national security from his secretary, and he needs to take it on line one. The president picks up and it is the Base Commander.

"Mr President, I am Commander Granger of the Vandenberg Air Force Base, I am sorry to call you, but as you may know we have a possible threat to National Security."

President Johnson slouched back in his chair, thinking the Soviet's were pulling another one of their tricks somewhere and the United States would have to take action. He allows the Captain to speak.

"Sir we intercepted a unidentified airplane thirty miles out of California, we intercepted it and landed it at the base under suspicion of a highjack. As the plane was being stormed on the ground, we found it full of Indian citizens and, one of them has a enevlope addressed to you. He says and I quote: I am from the country of India on a secret matter of the highest importance. We are sorry we couldn't make a official state visit, but as we are on close borders with the USSR, I don't think that would have went over to well, hints why we show up like this. I request to see President Johnson. We have notified the F.B.I and National Security Advisors, but we are afraid to follow up in India as if they are telling the truth, we could jeopardize them. How should we proceed?"

Johnson placed the phone face down on his desk, thinking to himself while in his chair, one hour away from Washington D.C. He sat in silence thinking about the scenarios this could be and then picked the phone back up.

"Commander Granger, did you find any weapons or anything to indicate this was a hostile attempt on our government?"

Granger responds.
"No sir, no weapons and no resistance among them."

President Johnson thinks to himself again before speaking.

"Keep the plane they came on their, and do a full inspection of it. Take it apart if you must, but bring those men to D.C under armed guard to the White House."

Granger replied in a militaristic tone, the traditional "Yes, sir" of the military. And plans were put in motion for them to be in Washington in eight hours.

OOC: Cleared this with Kelmet, so this is alright.
Last edited by Waztaskio on Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Afalia
Senator

Founded: Jul 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Afalia » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:07 am

Thursday 2nd January 1969
Private Office, No. 10 Downing Street,
Westminster, London,
United Kingdom
09:39 Hours

‘First thing’s first,’ Wilson said, looking over his notes and latest briefing books. The Brazillians had got back to him speedily and, as he had expected, were not too pleased with the rather derogatory language Wilson had used. Time for some diplomacy, he thought.

It occurred to him that the current period he was presiding over was perhaps the time of foreign affairs more so than it had been for any of his predecessors. Yet Wilson had no foreign affairs experience he had learnt quickly and managed to, in his opinion, pursue a policy which overall had been in Britain’s interests.

CLASSIFICATION: DIPLOMATIC HIGHEST PROTECTION
TO: President Artur da Costa e Silva
FROM: The Rt. Hon Harold Wilson MP, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Dear Sir,

Thank you for swift reply to my telegram. Whilst I, and my government, avoid sweeping judgements as best we can, sometimes the facts and situation presented to us appear to fall under this so called category of ‘sweeping judgements’. I apologise if I have caused you any harm or offense-I did not intend to do so. Nor did I intend my stance to be detrimental to our relations-I do not see it that way, but if you and your government do then my apologies once more.

Whilst we do not see eye to eye on what constitutes a democratic country and political system, we have many similarities and share many common goals, least of all-to prevent the spread of communism and help ensure our people’s security. If it is convenient then perhaps a meeting between you and I can be arranged where trade, security, democracy, military matters, cultural exchanges and other issues can be discussed and differences between our two countries solved.

Yours faithfully,

Harold Wilson MP
Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

‘Now,’ Wilson said, lighting up his pipe and turning to the latest headache from Northern Ireland. He’d read the reports late last night, violence was flaring up-in Londonderry, Newry and Belfast. The RUC were making a mess of things in Bogside. The residents had put up barricades and armed themselves. Stones and nails had been thrown at some protestant marching group. Violence had erupted and the RUC had gone into stop it. So far they were failing.

‘I just don’t understand it,’ Wilson said, flicking from page to page.

There was no doubt. The largely protestant unionist RUC was picking on the Catholic nationalists in Bogside. Now other cities were flaring up. More violence in response to the violence. ‘A full scale bloodbath,’ the security report read, ‘With the potential for riots in major Northern Irish cities today and into the following days.’ Wilson picked up the telephone and asked the operator for the home secretary.

‘Prime Minister.’

‘James, how are you?’ Wilson asked, not waiting for a reply, ‘Have you read the latest report from Northern Ireland?’

‘Yes I have. It’s not looking good,’ Callaghan said.

‘You’ve spoken with the heads of the security service? What do they think? Will there be riots today?’

‘Probably. In the major cities at least. It’s a fire the RUC’s breathing more oxygen into with their Bogside affair.’

Wilson paused, ‘I want your approval for sending the army in-to protect the Catholic communities. They’re not safe and they need protection.’

‘Are you sure Harold? I hardly think we’ll be seen as protectors.’

‘That depends on how long we stay James.’

‘And what the Irish say, and do.’

‘Indeed,’ Wilson remarked, ‘ I have a telegram from the Taoiseach here. Still, will you get the army ready for a deployment, if necessary. If the situation cools we might be alright, but I want precautions taken now in case.’

‘Of course Prime Minister. We have a unit or two in Northern Ireland already-doing some training for urban warfare and looking after the post office in Belfast, that sort of thing. I’ll talk to the Chief of the General Staff now and ask him to put a few brigades on standby, ready to deploy to protect the communities.’

‘Excellent. Goodbye James.’

And once again without waiting for a reply Wilson hung up the phone and turned his attention to the Irish PM’s letter.

CLASSIFICATION: DIPLOMATIC HIGHEST PROTECTION
TO: Taoiseach Jack Lynch
FROM: The Rt. Hon Harold Wilson MP, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your telegram regarding the current situation in Northern Ireland and your wishes for a happy new year. Please let me extend these wishes from Her Majesty’s Cabinet of the United Kingdom towards yourself, the cabinet and the Irish people.

Like many others in both Britain and the republic I have watched the latest goings on in Northern Ireland with grave concern. The rising tensions between the protestant and catholic communities is a cause for serious regret and sadness across both our countries. With this in mind something must be done to end the tensions and the discrimination of Catholic Britons in Northern Ireland. I agree wholeheartedly that discrimination must end.

However, as you will be well aware, Northern Ireland is governed by a devolved government at Stormont. I do not have the power nor the right to implement the changes you have demanded. The only way reform of Northern Ireland’s political and social systems can be achieved is through the protestant and catholic communities working together, overseen by the government of the United Kingdom and the government of the Irish Republic.

I would prefer to discuss these suggestions and ideas at a meeting, either with delegations, or just between you and I alone. I look forward to your reply and hope that the new year brings with it prosperity and happiness for both our countries and all our people.

Yours faithfully,

Harold Wilson MP
Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

West Belfast, Northern Ireland,
United Kingdom,
11:23 Hours

Brian Higgins smiled as he threw the stone. The satisfactory sound of glass smashing and another rallying cry spurred him on to pick another rock from his pocket and throw it at the car desperately navigating its way through the carnage. This was Belfast. This was it, he thought.

‘Brits out!’ he screamed and another cheer came from the gathered crowd.

The RUC truncheon swung in and hit him hard. He collapsed to the ground swearing. He looked up and the weapon came down again, harder this time, on his head. Brian collapsed onto the floor, a brilliant flash coming before his eyes, dazing him for a moment. There was shouting and screaming but he couldn’t tell from which side.

‘Teach you right,’ the RUC policeman above him remarked. He wiped his truncheon clean and moved on.

Brian looked up at the sky above him. It was a grey day.

Cabinet Room, No. 10 Downing Street,
Westminster, London,
United Kingdom
15:56 Hours

‘How bad is it?’ Wilson asked looking out the window at the passing foot traffic in Downing Street.

‘Very. The riots broke out, as far as we can tell, in response to the so-called “Battle of the Bogside”. The RUC lot have come down hard on them. Protestants and Catholics are both being hurt, but Catholics especially,’ Callaghan said.

‘I want the army deployed as soon as possible and I want you to get onto Stormont and see if you can get the RUC to pull back a bit.’

‘The army deployment might take a little while. I spoke to General Baker earlier and he has a brigade ready-about 1,000 men but they’re spread out across the country at the minute.’

‘How many can we get to Northern Ireland, to the big cities, today?’ Wilson asked.

‘150, maybe 175 soldiers,’ Callaghan replied.

‘It’s better than nothing.’

Wilson sighed, ‘Give them the order. But I want as many men as General Baker thinks necessary to be in Northern Ireland as soon as possible.’

Callaghan nodded and picked up one of the telephones arranged in the centre of the desk to call the chief of the general staff. Wilson sighed again, puffed on his pipe and looked out the window. What were the Irish going to think, he wondered.
Last edited by Afalia on Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Imperium Gallum
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 24, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium Gallum » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:15 am

Socialist Republic of Romania

The laser broke. Nobody knew but only the leaders of Securitate and Ceaușescu. We do not know how to repair it. But we still had the anti-soviet aerial defense system in case of another invasion. It works in the ionosphere and is good for anti aircraft and anti satellite defense. So we cannot get invaded by air, because that thing melts everything.

But we were still in the Warsaw Pact, so we must keep USSR as our friend as much as possible, while separating our industry, economy and defence from them. At least we would not get invaded by these guys again, and this equals more freedoms in our relationship.

Unemployment rates were 0. Or very close to 0, it did not matter to our Leader. And the filthy capitalists had lots of unemployed citizens! And also, the people had their personal houses or apartments. So no huge rent that eats most of a worker's salary. 2 wins for Socialism!

Birth rates are very high, since abortion is banned. Soon we will hit 20 million people!

A lot of things are going to export, but people have money for everything, and also everything is still found in the groceries. The situation is good, we will try to keep it this way.

Seems like a good and prosper year.

Korencia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Korencia » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:41 am

Dublin, 3rd of January 1969

The Prime Minister cleared his throat as the TV broadcast begun, a day later after the violence in most cities of Northern Ireland. It was clear now what had to be done. The Republic could no longer sit idle, as innocent Irish men got injured in the north. The Stormont parliament had failed to protect the catholic communitie's, itself being dominated by Protestant and Unionist ultra-nationalists. Lynch himself had been pressured by the army, and now Exercise Armageddon was about to commerce. And this speech would be it's starting point.

" Good Evening, Irish men and Women,

As you all know, yesterday, Protestant unionists attacked innocent people in Derry, Newry, Belfast, and other cities of the Six Countries of Northern Ireland. While I have contacted the British Prime Minister, it is evident that the government in Westminster is not going to do anything for our cause, and it is certainly not going to help Irish catholics in the North.

It is clear now that the present situation cannot be allowed to continue. It is evident also that the Stormont government is no longer in control of the situation. Indeed, the present situation is the inevitable outcome of the policies pursued for decades by successive Stormont governments. It is clear also that the Irish Government can no longer stand by and see innocent people injured and perhaps worse. It is obvious that the RUC is no longer accepted as an impartial police force. Neither would the employment of British troops be acceptable nor would they be likely to restore peaceful conditions, certainly not in the long term. The Irish Government have, therefore, requested the British Government to apply immediately to the United Nations for the urgent dispatch of a Peace-Keeping Force to the Six Counties of Northern Ireland and have instructed the Permanent Representative to the United Nations to inform the Secretary General of this request. We have also asked the British Government to see to it that police attacks on the people of Derry should cease immediately.

Very many people have been injured and some of them seriously. We know that many of these do not wish to be treated in Six County hospitals. We have, therefore, directed the Irish Army authorities to have field hospitals established in County Donegal adjacent to Derry and at other points along the Border where they may be necessary.

Recognising, however, that the re-unification of the national territory can provide the only permanent solution for the problem, it is our intention to request the British Government to enter into early negotiations with the Irish Government to review the present constitutional position of the Six Counties of Northern Ireland.
"

And thus, the short speech ended, the font of the RTE appearing in the TV, and the programme of the station resuming. Lynch had just given the go to a very controversial operation, one that would put the Irish Republic at a direct conflict with the UK.

Irish - UK Border, Country Donegal

It was night, but Major Kearney and a group of soldiers were outside, near the border. With Lynch giving the go, the first phrase of Exercise Armageddon had begun. The Defence Forces would provide the IRA with weapons, as a first step to give them the ability to defend the catholics in Ulster cities. Indeed, as the clock striked midnight, hooded men started appearing crossing the forest.

Their leader, a rather tall man armed with nothing more than a pistol was the one who spoke first. "So, do you have the shit ready?" he asked in a heavy Irish accent, looking arounds the soldiers and the truck.

"It's here" said Kearney, looking at the IRA men. "As we promised, we are delivering some Bren machineguns, two dozens of grenades, explosives and the most important, Defence Force's FN FAL assault rifles. Tell me, were you informed about your part in the operation?" asked the Major, looking at them.

"Yeah, mate we can handle it. Tommorow, we will begin attacking some RUC bastards, maybe that will teach them a lesson, and we will also attempt to get some ground for y'a in Derry, Newry and other cities. Mostly light attacks though." responded the Commander of the rebels.

"Good. Now take the truck and just go to the pre-selected location in Derry. Try to avoid British patrols, but I doubt you will make it. Do you have a vehicle of your own?" asked the officer.

"It's inside the forest. I guess we will get some weapons from the your vehicle into our own. I can see that you have removed the army signs from your truck too mates. Nice work. So, shall we start?" said one of the rebels, picking up some boxes from the truck, as the officer gave the nod.

Twenty minutes alter, the two trucks begun moving into Northern Ireland, heading for Derry. If they could make it, that was another question.....
Last edited by Korencia on Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Realm of Korencia

Chaotic Evil

Machtergreifung
Senator

Founded: Jul 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Machtergreifung » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:43 am

Brasília, January 4th, 1969

Silva's health was failing him. He had always had heart problems, and now they were becoming more and more pronounced. The Presidential doctors had administered medication and demanded a few days of rest for the President who was insistent on driving through his reforms.

A marginal improvement had been all that was needed for the aging President to drag himself back to his offical duties, knowing full well that any inability to rule would see him stripped of his powers by the military.

Tired by the duties he was elected to perform, he forced himself to persevere. Calling his cabinet to meet, he forced his failing body to carry on with the buisness of government.

The British government had requested a state visit followed by a meeting to discuss matters of interest. Evidently, Silva's reply had made an impact on the British government, but the timing was strange, owing to the trouble that was developing in Northern Ireland. Riots, snipers and low-level attacks consistently appeared on the BBC news headlines. Nevertheless, Silva was more than willing to host the British Prime Minister. Britain may not have been the world power it once had been, but it nevertheles represented a formidable partner for Brazil to establish links with. The cabinet agreed unanimously to agree to the meeting.

The only other matter of importance was a proposal from the Foriegn Minister, who suggested the establishment of ties with South Africa and Rhodesia in order to form a powerblock spanning the South Atlantic. While most of the cabinet, and Silva included, expressed reservations over establishing ties with nations that appeared instable. However, there was an agreement that it would be benefical both economically and from a strategic perspective, and Silva ordered the offer to be made.

To: The Rt. Hon Harold Wilson MP, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

We would be more than happy for such a meeting to take place, and I see this as an excellent oppertunity to show you Brazil, so that we can dispell the misconceptions between our nations, as well as to develop closer economic, diplomatic and military ties.

Please inform us when such a meeting would be suitable with yourself, and we would be most happy to arrange it.

Yours, hopefully in prosperity, President Artur da Costa e Silva

To: The governments of Rhodesia and South Africa

My government would like to propose to your governments the establishment of a strategic partnership between our nations, to faciliate better trade and development, as well as to promote co-opeation of our national interests. If this proposal should be of interest to your governments, please do not hesitate to declare what form you see this partnership as taking.

Yours, hopefully in prosperity, President Artur da Costa e Silva
Last edited by Machtergreifung on Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Afalia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Afalia » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:15 am

Friday 3rd January 1969
Westminster, London,
United Kingdom
20:37 Hours

'I don't know what the hell they were thinking,' Jenkins shouted.

The Prime Minister sat back in his chair and nodded quietly. Shouting wasn't going to help the situation as much as Wilson wished it would. The latest reports from MI5 and the RUC were on the desk. They'd been in the cabinet room for almost three hours, discussing the deployment of British troops and its success so far. Smoke filled the entire room, still emitting from Wilson's pipe, much to the disgust of many of the non-smokers in this room. A link up with RTE One had allowed the room to survey the entire speech by Jack Lynch.

'I don't know what he's thinking, what their government is doing,' Jenkins said again, directing his anger at the television.

'Neither do I Roy,' Wilson said, his voice surprisingly calm for a prime minister who had just been condemned as not doing anything to help the situation in Northern Ireland.

'When did you get the telegram?'

'About an hour before his speech. He requested the UN peacekeeping force in the letter and demanded that we start talks with regards to Ulster's sovereignty,' Wilson said, thinking back to the telegram. Lynch's letter and speech had called Wilson's deployment plans unacceptable and promised field hospitals on the borders. A response was needed.

'What about the field hospitals on the border?' Castle asked, 'Are we accepting them?'

'I think we have to for the meantime,' Wilson began, 'It's an open border and people can pass freely between the North and Republic. Besides, if it'll shut them up, we can let them have their damn field hospitals.'

'You need to respond properly sir,' Callaghan said, nodding his head solemnly, 'You need to address the Taoiseach and the Republic, but also talk about the riots, the violence and the deaths.'

'Yes, yes. How soon can the BBC be here?' Wilson asked.

'They've been wanting to interview you since the riots broke out yesterday. I'm sure they can get here soon.'

'Nine o'clock news? We might as well do it live,' Wilson said. He stood up from his seat and stretched. It was probably going to be a long night, 'I'll speak to the Taoiseach as soon as I can. Better leave it for a little while, let him calm down.'

'Very good sir,' his press secretary said, before scurrying off to get the BBC.

'You could mention the mostly positive response we've got from the Catholic communities since the troops have arrived. They've been largely welcoming because we got rid of the RUC and have managed to protect them.'

'Yes James, but I'm sure the IRA will retaliate. They don't like us. They especially don't like the army,' Wilson said, 'But at least the violence is over for now.'

Private Office, No. 10 Downing Street,
Westminster, London,
United Kingdom
21:02 Hours

The cameraman waved his fingers, counting down to the start of the broadcast. Wilson had done this a few times now. He was beginning to master the television interview. Plain old speeches were easier. The countdown came to an end and the light above him lit up, illuminating the Prime Minister behind his rather plain desk. There were no official seals or union flags, no need for the pomp that accompanied American presidential addresses. No, this was just 'good old' Harold speaking to the public.

'Good evening. Tonight I am speaking to the British people not just in Northern Ireland, but in England, Wales and Scotland too. I am also speaking to citizens of the Irish republic. Regardless of where you are I wish you a pleasant evening. Despite my best hopes I speak to you this evening on a dire matter-the growing tension and developing situation in Northern Ireland, as well as the Irish Republic's response to this situation.

'Yesterday morning rioting between protestant and catholic communities in Northern Ireland broke out. The violence has tragically led to the deaths of eight people and many hundreds are injured. Thankfully the violence has now ceased and further violence is being prevented by the deployment of troops from the British army. These troops are protecting Catholic communities in Belfast, Derry and Newry and ensuring the safety and security of Northern Ireland's citizens, regardless of their religion or political allegiances. The first duty of Her Majesty's Government is to ensure the security of her people-that is what we are doing currently with the deployment of British troops.

'There is no need therefore, despite what my honourable friend Taoiseach Jack Lynch has said, for the dispatching of a UN peacekeeping force to the area. Her Majesty's Government has the situation under control and we are currently considering our options with regards to political reforms to the Stormont Northern Ireland parliament to ensure that all communities within Northern Ireland are equally respected and heard.

'I wish to convey my thanks to the Irish government for providing field hospitals on the Irish border for treating those who have been injured in yesterday's rioting. Though our hospitals can easily cope the faster patients are seen the better. However, I would like to reiterate the point that the situation in Northern Ireland is firmly under control. The vast majority of citizens in Northern Ireland are more than happy with the current status their country has and that negotiations regarding the sovereignty of Northern Ireland will not take place.

'I would like to ask all people in Northern Ireland and all British and Irish citizens for their support in these troubled times, so we can ensure a safer, more prosperous Northern Ireland and prevent any repeats of the terrible violence we have seen in the past few days. Thank you for listening, God Bless and good night.'

Saturday 4th January 1969
Bogside, Londonderry,
Northern Ireland,
United Kingdom
01:38 Hours

Private Pearson paused for a moment in the light to light his cigarette.

'Don't smoke yourself to death Dom,' his fellow patrolman told him, 'Dying from lung cancer rather than some IRA attack would be far less heroic.'

'Oh shut it Freddie,' Pearson said, as he joined his partner at the little makeshift watchtower they had constructed.

Bogside was quiet now. The rioting had been stopped yesterday with the arrival of their unit. The RUC had been called off and the troops had surrounded Bogside to prevent any unionist paramilitaries taking another crack. They'd been mostly welcoming. One or two of the women had even kissed Pearson on his arrival, but there were a few who were clearly not happy about the presence of British army troops surrounding their community.

'How long d'you reckon we'll be here?' Pearson asked.

'Don't know,' Freddie replied, 'For as long as it takes the government to sort it out.'

'From what the Irish prime minister said this evening it looks like he's furious about the whole thing.'

'More smoke than fire mate,' Freddie said, 'I'm sure they'll end up sitting down at some neutral point and sort it out.'

'Probably,' Pearson said.

He blew in and then exhaled some smoke. It was peaceful over Bogside.

Saturday 4th January 1969
Westminster, London,
United Kingdom
04:54 Hours

'Is it confirmed then Martin?'

Due to his position Wilson was one of the few people privileged enough to know Martin Furnival Jones' name-known as the Director General of MI5 to most people.

'An informer we have in one of the IRA brigades operating in and around Derry confirmed it in an early morning telephone call today. That's why I woke you. This seems credible and we're willing to treat it as such until we hear otherwise.'

'They've been supplied with military standard weapons, including assault rifles and grenades,' Wilson said to himself, confirming.

'Yes sir,' Jones said.

'But where from?'

'Well that's what we're trying to determine. It's possible it's come from friends of the IRA in the United States but that's unlikely, we would have picked up on it before then. It's unlikely it came from the continent either. There's a possibility it came from the Irish.'

'That's ridiculous,' Wilson said, shaking his head, 'They'd never attempt something like that.'

'As I said sir, we don't know yet. The informer wouldn't give us all the details without some payments, but we'll try to find out as soon as possible.'

'Thank you Martin,' Wilson said. He looked at the clock on the wall. Almost five. No point in going back to bed.
Last edited by Afalia on Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Korencia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Korencia » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:38 am

OOC: Awaiting UK's reaction on whether the two towns were captured. This conflict has been planned with him.

Derry, 5th of January 1969

Roderic and his unit were moving around the outskirts of Derry, since British troops had surrounded the city. It was around 9:56 PM when they first reached the first buildings of the town, but British patrols had forced them to hide twice, looking for another spot to launch their attack from.

Sergeant Roderick Byrne, was the commander of the 3rd Irish Special Forces Unit, County Cavan. He had 14 men under his commands, spread in various directions around the city under some trustworthy soldier. He himself was in this section of the city with six of his mates. Together with his unit, around 25 IRA paramilitaries were inside the city preparing to strike, recruited from the Catholic community.

The first attack would occur at 10:17 PM, a bombing in the center of the town. Minor, but it would distract a number of British forces. Roderick hoped that with his troops and around half of the IRA paramilitaries, they could take Derry over night. The bomb would aim to disable communications for at least an hour, propably enough time to fight the small guard of the city.

Roderick looked at his watch. It was two minutes before the explosion. All the other men were already placed around the city. He and his soldiers took place near a small cafe, hiding behind a brick wall. A British patrol was believed to be nearby.

As the explosion was heard, the troops started moving taking places, awaiting for any British patrol to cross through that part of the town.

At that moment, a similar attack occured in Newry, by the 5th Irish Special Forces Unit, Country Corck, with 30 IRA paramilitaries and 10 Irish troops at Lieutenant O' Brien.
Last edited by Korencia on Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Realm of Korencia

Chaotic Evil

Afalia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Afalia » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:14 am

6th January 1969
Cabinet Office, No. 10 Downing Street,
Westminster, London,
United Kingdom,
02:36 Hours

'What the hell is going on there!?' Wilson shouted, 'I thought the army had this under control!'

It was the first time in days that Wilson had shouted. All through the five days of the new year he had remained calm and measured since the violence broke out in Northern Ireland, even when the Taoiseach demanded a peacekeeping force. His cabinet noted his sudden change of tone with worry. He was clearly concerned and so were they.

'A bomb went off in Derry. In the city centre sir. Our troops responded and that's when it began. We got communications about half an hour ago.'

General Baker was speaking quickly, holding a phone to his ear and more information was barked down into his ear.

'What's happened?' Wilson asked again.

'Derry's been taken. The troops are either dead or outside the city.'

'Who's it been taken by!? The IRA!?' Wilson screamed.

'Not alone sir. If we're correct and I believe we are, the city's been taken by Irish special forces and the IRA, working alongside each other. The Director General's theory regarding how the IRA got those weapons may not be as silly as it sounds,' General Baker said.

Wilson paused for a minute and looked at the war cabinet which had been prematurely assembled, 'Are you telling me that the Republic of Ireland has invaded Northern Ireland, has invaded British sovereign territory?'

'We've had no word from the Irish sir, but that's what it looks like, yes,' Michael Stewart said.

Wilson paused again, his eyes wide, disbelieving. He sat in a chair and got out his pipe, 'Are they mad? What about the other cities General?'

'Newry's been taken too sir. There's been some attacks in Belfast but they've mostly been dealt with. The Director General spoke to me ten minutes ago and said a source of his confirmed there were Irish special forces leading IRA paramilitaries in the attacks on Derry and Newry.'

'Two British cities have fallen to a foreign state. Dear God.'

'We need to start talking about getting these cities back sir,' Baker insisted.

'Yes of course. But first let's find out if this really is the Irish. If it is, then God help them.'

Korencia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Korencia » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:37 am

OOC: Again, these posts are part of a larger chain.

Dublin, 7th of January 1969

The cabinet was awaiting in silence, the Defence Minister speaking through the phone to the Generals responsible for the operation. As he shut the phone, he looked at the Prime Minister before speaking.

"Derry and Newry have been taken sir." he said, most of his ministers smilling at the news, congratulating Lynch. "I guess we should take responsibility now, sir. My sources say Westminster has been notified of the events." he finished.

Lynch looked around at his cabinet, before adressing the Minister of Defence again. "Have we sent reinforcements to our units yet?'" asked the Taoiseach, with a worried look in his eyes. He might have just triggered a war.

"Sir, with the two towns taken, IRA forces have begin pouring in them to assist us. Some paramilitaries have joined our forces, but they are badly trained. From our standar forces, we have decided to sent one armoured unit from County Dublin and two army units of around 40 men each, one at Newry and one at Derry" said the Minister, taking out more papers from his briefcase.

The Taoiseach sighed, taking a sip of coffee. "Well, I guess we can write a communiqe now. I expect that the RTE will broadcast some patriotic messages too?" he asked, pointing at his Media Affairs Minister.

"Sir, I have it under control. We have send some images to RTE, and the communiqe is one the way to be prepared." he said, taking a sip of water as he took out the images he sent to the RTE.

Official Statement
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Republic of Ireland

To The Rt. Hon Harold Wilson MP, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland,

It's with sadness, that I will have to inform you that your denial of a UN peacekeeping force was what led me to the decision to enact a plan that in no way did I want to see taking place. While you have stopped that attacks of the RUC, you have made no attempt to persuade the Stormont government to follow a less hardline line.

Derry and Newry shall remain under occupation by the Irish Defence Forces, a haven for Catholics escaping the chaos in Belfast and other cities. Your failure to protect the Catholics and to enact reforms, has forces us to take the situation into our own hands. IRA forces have also joined our cause for an Ireland that will protect all Irish men and women.

If this situation is to end, we demand that negotiations on the status of Northern Ireland start immediately.

Yours,

Taoiseach Jack Lynch
Realm of Korencia

Chaotic Evil

Afalia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Afalia » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:42 pm

7th January 1969,
Westminster, London,
United Kingdom
13:00 Hours

The frantic sounds of the BBC News theme sprung into life as lunchtime kicked off with the latest news update-now a specially extended edition to cover the events of the invasion, 'This is the One O'Clock News. Good afternoon, the Taoiseach of the Irish Republic, Mr. Jack Lynch has claimed responsibility for the invasion of Northern Ireland by Irish Defence Forces yesterday evening. This afternoon reports from Belfast confirm that both the city of Londonderry and Newry are under the control of Irish Army forces, assisted by the IRA. Mr. Lynch claimed that the occupation of these cities was necessary in order to protect Catholics in Northern Ireland and were enacted by the Prime Minister's denial of a United Nations peacekeeping force.'

The television continued to emit sounds and images as the presenter summarised the latest news from Northern Ireland. Wilson and his War Cabinet sat with the chief of the defence staff, the general staff and representatives from the Royal Navy and RAF as they continued to draw up a response to the Irish invasion.

'I want to make clear from the start gentlemen, that this plan will only be put into action if the Irish fail to pull back their forces,' the PM said as he smoked his pipe. He was calmer now than he was earlier. A few hours sleep and the advice of a few friends had put his mind at ease, if it was hell they wanted, then hell they would get.

'Of course sir,' General Baker said, 'We are all in agreement on that. Operation Painter will only be enacted if they fail to meet the ultimatum.'

'I want our response to their communique to be public as well. The British and Irish people deserve to know. Martha, can you arrange that with the press office? See that the BBC and RTE broadcast its contents.'

Wilson's personal secretary nodded. The prime minister looked down at the telegram he had composed before him. It was the usual ultimatum, Wilson had to use strong language like this before, but he never thought he'd have to use it with the Irish.

TO: Taoiseach Jack Lynch TD, Head of Government-Republic of Ireland

To The Government of the Irish Republic,

This telegram is an official document, signed by the Prime Minister and approved by members of the War Cabinet, the Chief of the Defence Staff, General Staff and Naval and Air Force representatives.

Mr. Lynch: Yesterday you ordered Irish Defence Force troops to invade sovereign British territory in Northern Ireland. As it currently stands Irish forces, assisted by the Irish Republic Army terrorist group, are occupying the cities of Londonderry and Newry illegally. It is a breach of both national and international law to invade the territory of a friendly coountry. As such your occupation of Londonderry and Newry is an illegal occupation by dangerous forces hostile to the Her Majesty's Government. There will be no negotiations of the status of Northern Ireland, nor any discussions between our two governments until Irish forces withdraw. Under our international right to wage war to defend ourselves we issue the following statement:

-Her Majesty's Government issues an ultimatum to the Irish Republic, giving them three hours from the time this telegram is received, to indicate that they will withdraw their illegal defence forces from the cities of Londonderry, Newry and all other British sovereign territory, and retreat three miles behind the UK-Irish border in Northern Ireland.

-If no indication is given within three hours then a state of war will exist between the United Kingdom and Irish Republic.

-Under this state a Total Exclusion Zone will exist over Northern Ireland, extending for 7,500 square miles. This Total Exclusion Zone, from which hence shall be known as the TEZ will apply on the ground, the air and the sea. The TEZ will be patrolled by aircraft from the Royal Air Force in the air and Royal Navy warships in the sea and will be empowered to eliminate anything which breaches the TEZ.

-Suitable military action will be taken to remove Irish forces occupying Londonderry and Newry immediately.

-The United Kingdom will implement a trade embargo on the Irish Republic, banning any trade between the United Kingdom and its sovereign territories, and the territory of the Irish Republic.

-The United Kingdom will draft a United Nations Security Council resolution condemning the invasion of sovereign British territory by the Irish Republic, an unprovoked act of war.

-The United Kingdom will reserve the right to strike at targets inside the Irish Republic to ensure the security of British forces and British citizens in Northern Ireland.

-The United Kingdom will reserve the right to invoke Article V of the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) constitution, requiring NATO member states to come to the aid of the United Kingdom as it has been subject to an armed attack.

Sincerely,

The Rt. Hon Harold Wilson MP, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Korencia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Korencia » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:23 pm

Strabane, 7th of January 1969

The 5th Artillery Division of the Irish Army had begun bombing Strabane half an hour ago, after the communiqe of the British PM had become public. The armored division that had been sent to Derry was redirected to the border town, along with Sergeant Roderick's 10 men force and the IRA paramilitaries, since four soldiers died during the rather short Battle of Derry.

Close to Derry, Strabane was a medium sized border town, mostly producing agricultural goods. With the county of Derry captured, as well as Newry, Strabane was one of the few British controlled areas near the border. Roderick was in charge of Exercise Armageddon in the Derry sector, and Strabane was his responsibility.

As the tanks approached the town, smoke could be spotted emitting from several parts of the town, mostly abandoned outposts. With British forces prepared though, the battle would be harder.

The two tanks slowly entered the city, together with the troops. It seemed quiet, until an explosion was heard, the Irish tank in the front of the column exploding, it's crew jumping out, the driver shot in the head as he escaped.

And so, the battle of Strabane begun.
Realm of Korencia

Chaotic Evil

Machtergreifung
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Machtergreifung » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:57 pm

Brasília, January 8th, 1969

Silva, after the usual meeting with the cabinet, had turned the discussion to the affairs underway in Ireland. While it was of no interest or had no impact on Brazil, it was nevertheless of interest to his government as being a platform for boosting Brazil's international prestige.

"I think our stance on this should be one of neutrality." Silva said, slowing saying each word. His manner of speaking, combined with his apparent old age, gave him the appearance of great dignity. "While we wish to court the friendship of Britain, we are a predominantly Catholic nation, I do not think we can let this event pass by without this country taking some sort of stance on it, no?" There were nods of approval from the cabinet.

"So, I think we should present ourselves as a moderating force in this crisis. A British blockade of Ireland is something quite unacceptable, and though I am no lawyer, I am sure it is against international law. If I have the approval of this meeting, I will present Brazil as a mediating power in this crisis, and insist that the British blockade is lifted, or at least restricted to military products. Do I have that approval?" Nods again.

"Then we will meet in the next few days. Goodbye, gentlemen."

The meeting broke up, the various ministers and uniformed generals dispersing in numerous staff cars, leaving behind Silva, exhausted and old, to arrange the doucments to be drafted.

To the Governments of the Irish Republic and the United Kingdom

My government considers this crisis and resulting escalation of force presently underway in Ireland of great humanitarian importance. To that end, we wish to make our governments position clear:

- The Brazilian government disaproves of the use of military forces by both parties in Northern Ireland.
- The Brazilian government condemns both the Irish response of military deployment and the rapid British escalation of the war from one of limited localized conflict in Northern Ireland to one which endangers lives throught the island of Ireland.
- Furthermore, the Brazilian government condemns the full blockade of the Irish Republic, and insists that the blockade be limited to only apply to ships carrying weapons. Humanitarian supplies and foodstuffs must be allowed passage to Irish ports in order to avert a humanitarian disaster.
- Finally, the Brazilian government wishes, due to it's status as a neutral and impartial nation, to offer itself as a mediating power in negotations to bring peace and prevent future conflict in the region.

I can assure you that Brazil will be presenting these terms to the United Nations, as well as calling for a multi-national peacekeeping force to be deployed to Ireland to ensure that armed conflict is ended, as well as the security of minority groups in Northern Ireland.

Yours, President Artur da Costa e Silva

Afalia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Afalia » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:05 pm

7th January 1969
Strabane, Northern Ireland,
United Kingdom
16:32 Hours

'Shoot them again!'

Lieutenant Hayes had been placed in charge of his small platoon of 30 troops and sent to the border. The attacks on Derry and Newry had scared his commanding officer and he told Hayes to pack up and move to the border. With them they'd brought a single Centurion tank and enough rifles to secure the town, but Hayes hadn't been expecting an attack. The PM's communique had made quite clear that if Irish forces didn't pull back the two countries would be at war. Why Ireland, with one of the smallest armies in Europe had attacked Britain, Hayes couldn't understand. They'd already heard word that a state of war now existed between them and Op. Painter was being put in place with a division of troops arriving in Belfast over the next few days. The Irish seemed keen on glory before reinforcements arrived.

'Shoot them again!' he shouted at the driver of the tank.

The tank swung around and fired its gun at the second tank, just missing. There were about 30 men in total, firing assault rifles and trying to push forward into Strabane using their sole remaining tank. Hayes lifted his head from the makeshift barricade which lined the streets as the bullet came racing down, splintering the wooden table protecting him. Hayes paused for a minute before lifting his head and gun over the barricade and firing.

An Irish soldier dropped dead. Hayes fired again, this time at an IRA man. The bullet pierced the shoulder and he came down with a cry, dropping his rifle as he did so. There was silence for a moment. Hayes coughed before shouting, 'This is British territory! Surrender at once or face the consequences!'

8th January 1969
Westminster, London,
United Kingdom
03:32 Hours

'How is everything proceeding General?' Wilson asked. It was early again, tea his only comfort at this hour.

'Proceeding well sir. HMS Albion is stocking up on helicopters and troops. It's sailing tomorrow, beg your pardon, this afternoon with a single battallion-around 600 men. It should arrive fairly quickly in Belfast and then it'll begin operations in Londonderry and Newry. HMS Albion will return to its Scottish port and pick up a new battalion and supplies and we'll keep repeating the procedure as necessary.'

'Good good,' Wilson said, 'And the TEZ?'

'Nothing yet sir. The boys have been pleased-they've got to patrol it without anything straying into the TEZ so far. A nice clean no fly zone.'

'And what about the sea?'

'No. We have patrol boats and two destroyers out there. The Irish are sticking firmly on the ground-they don't really have a navy or air force anyway sir. I doubt will encounter any trouble there.'

'I want HMS Hampshire ready to go to Dublin in case things suddenly go badly.'

'Yes sir, though I don't believe it will be necessary,' Baker said, 'Especially with the trade embargo.'

'Better safe than sorry,' Wilson replied, 'Even if 60% of all their trade is with us.'

'The embargo will be crippling to their economy if they intend to run a war.'

'Yes, that's the very idea,' Wilson said and sipped some more of his tea.

TO: Taoiseach Jack Lynch TD, Head of Government-Republic of Ireland

To The Government of the Irish Republic,

This telegram is an official document, signed by the Prime Minister, and approved by members of the War Cabinet-including the President of the Board of Trade, The Rt. Hon Anthony Crossland MP.

From nine o'clock this morning, the 8th of January 1969, a total trade embargo exists on your country. All trade and commerce is prohibited with the Republic of Ireland, as a result of the unprovoked and illegal attack and occupation of British territory in Northern Ireland. The trade embargo will remain in force until further notice.

Sincerely,

The Rt. Hon Harold Wilson MP, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Afalia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Afalia » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:18 pm

8th January 1969

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your letter regarding the current situation in Northern Ireland. In response to your letter:

-Her Majesty's Government reserves the right to wage war to defend itself, an internationally approved right as sanctioned by the United Nations. The invasion of Northern Ireland by Irish forces was a clear act of war and hostile forces currently occupy British territory. As such we will wage war to defend ourselves from an invading power.
-The Irish decision to invade was the cause of the war. Invading foreign territory unprovoked the Republic of Ireland has proven itself as a hostile aggressor and we will wage war to defend ourselves.
-There is no blockade on the Irish Republic. There is a trade embargo in place on all trade and commerce. This is to ensure that the situation in Northern Ireland comes to an end quickly and peace and sovereignty is restored.
-Her Majesty's Government has no interest in the Brazillian Government's proposal. Furthermore any UN security council resolutions calling for a UN peacekeeping force will be vetoed by the permanent British representative to the UN.

Sincerely,

Last edited by Afalia on Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Machtergreifung
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Machtergreifung » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:33 pm

Silva had been napping at his desk when an aide woke him. Evidently the British government was working overtime in the face of this crisis.

To the Government of the United Kingdom

While my government understands the difficult position that the British goverment finds itself, I wish to express the firm fact that violence will not settle any issue in Northern Ireland. The series of events in Ireland have escalated quickly, and my government will support a UN investiagion in to the cause of these events to find those responsible.

In spite of the restrictions that your government has placed on the ocean around the island of Ireland, my government will nevertheless insist on the safe transit of humanitarian aid to the region within the framework of the Red Cross and other non-governmental aid organizations.

I also wish to express my extreme disapointment of the British stance on the issue of negotations. Should the Irish government be willing to enter in to negotations, only to be fustrated by the refusal of the British government to be involved, it would not only have a determinetal impact on both Anglo-Brazilian relations, but on Britain's standing in world opinion as well.

Afalia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Afalia » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:58 pm

8th January 1969

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your telegram. Whilst we appreciate the concern of the Brazilian government with regards to this situation, your help is not needed. Indeed it is a terrible shame that violence is currently being utilised in Northern Ireland, however-when a foreign state attacks British sovereign territory with force we will respond with force in kind. Defending your own nation is the right of all nations, a right we are sure the Brazilian government and people will understand.

British forces and British Red Cross volunteers and doctors are being ferried to Northern Ireland and will provide any necessary humanitarian aid in both Northern Ireland the Republic of Ireland, if necessary. The intervention of non-governmental organisations is not needed.

I am sorry you are disappointed by Her Majesty's Government's stance, but it is the policy of the British government not to negotiate with a foreign power or neutral mediator, when our sovereign territory is occupied. We will only agree to negotiations once all Irish forces have been withdrawn from British territory in Northern Ireland. If this has an impact on Anglo-Brazilian relations then so be it. I am confident that Britain's decision to defend herself from invasion will be seen as fair and reasoned in the eyes of most of the world.

Sincerely,

Alouite
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Alouite » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:19 pm

January 9th, 1969

President Walter Ulbricht was in his office when a note from Egyptian President Gamal Abdel Nasser arrived and was brought to him by one of his bodygaurds. It read:

To:Government of East Germany
Encryption:High
Dear Walter Ulbricht,
We the Egyptian government have suffered in the last few years.Annihilation of our Air Force and humiliation of losing the Sinai peninsula in the six day war has been hard to take.But we now wish to enact revenge upon the Israelis.We ask if at all possible for:
1.East German backing on the world stage.
2.To purchase military hardware.
3.For the East Germans to support the PLO.
4.Help in the training of a Egyptian secret police or spy-ring similar to the Stasi.
We hope these are acceptable.
Signed,
President Gamal Abdel Nasser

He considered his options, he could support them now and gain another ally, or deny their request to avoid conflict. He considered the two when he came up with a third option, he would send a letter to the Egyptians that promised military and official diplomatic support if the Soviets would too. He got to writing his note.

To: President Gamal Abdel Nasser, President of Egypt
Encryption: High
East Germany is eager to support the reconquest of long held Egyptian land from a nation born only a few decades ago. However we do not want to be pulled into a conflict with their allies that are likely to take up arms, though the US and British seem to be busy, France, Italy, Portugal and Spain may be prepared for repercussions, so we will consult the Soviet Union before deploying any East German troops in this war or officially stating support for your nation. This does not mean we will not support you though. These terms should be agreeable at the time:
1) East Germany will sell weapons to the Egyptians in any required quantity, so long as we have produced the sufficient ammount
2) East Germany will unofficially support the Egyptians in this conflict
3) If the soviets agree we will provide military and diplomatic support
4) The Stasi will train a secret police in Egypt so long as it is done secretly in secure facilities provided by the Egyptian Military or a major Egyptian agency.

I hope relations between our nations will prosper and apologize that I cannot do more for the Egyptian people,
Signed,

Walter Ulbricht, President of East Germany

To: Premier Leonid Brezhnev, Premier of The Union of Soviet Socialist Republics
Encryption: High
We wish to assist the Egyptians in their reconquest of Sinai from the Isreali's. They wish to align toward us and better support our power in the world as bastions of hope in an overwhelmingly Imperialist world. But the time to strike is soon, the United Kingdoms are busy fighting the Irish, and the Americans are knee deep in Vietnamese territory. We must act now or we will lose an opportunity to better the proletariat cause. And as supporters of the people, I hope you will consider this as our window to act is shortening.
Signed,

Walter Ulbricht, President of East Germany

With these letters sent he went back to the parliament building waiting for a reply.

East German Parliament
Two bills were passed today. One was to have the road systems rebuilt and the ports be improved to higher standards. This would help troops mobilize in the case of war, and the people go on with there jobs and get to work without as many road issues. The ports were given a new coat of paint and the rust on many government owned ships was cleaned off. The trade fleet and the naval fleet looked clean and ready for the Baltic. The other reform was a military land transfer act, which gave the military strict control of the East/West German Border from the beaches in the north to the forests of the south. The soldiers were to build small outposts, but nothing large enough to attract attention, not without the Soviets promising their troops support.
National Liberalism, National School Economics, National Dividend, Constitutional Originalism, Protection of US Domestic Trade, The Chinese Gov't in Exile in Taipei, and Ending the War on Nouns
Hyman Minsky
Totalitarianism, the Destruction of the Environment, Racism, and, most of all, people who end statements in questions?
The Patriot Act, The Illegitimate Communist Authorities in China, Economic Libertarianism, Absolutism and Communism

Machtergreifung
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Machtergreifung » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:19 pm

Silva had been napping at his desk when an aide woke him. Evidently the British government was working overtime in the face of this crisis.

To the Government of the United Kingdom

While the government of Brazil accepts the right of self-defence, I very much doubt that myself, the Brazilian people, or indeed, the world, see it as a clear cut issue of self-defence. While there is without a doubt culpability on the part of the Irish Republic on the deployment of military troops in to Northern Ireland, there is less doubt over the claims of sectarianism and oppression of minorites within Ireland. The issue is further complicated by the conduct of British state apparatus in policing Northern Ireland in the past few months.

The Brazilian government is insistant that the International Red Cross, as well as all other non-governmental organizations are allowed free access to Ireland. Furthermore, owing to the fact that the British government can have no objection to the placement of UN observers, we will be raising the proposal for the placement of impartial observer teams to monitor the situation in Ireland at the UN as soon as possible.

If the British government is willing to enter in to negoations under the terms of an Irish withdrawal, would the British government also approve to Brazilian mediation?

Afalia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Afalia » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:31 pm

8th January 1969

Dear Sir,

As much as we value your advice and judgements on these matters, we must disagree on a number of points you have raised. Firstly that the culpability of this war rests solely with the Irish Republic who invaded sovereign British territory with hostile forces, breaking various international and national laws in the process and illegally occupying cities. They have also killed British soldiers. The culpability for this war rests solely on their heads.

Whilst sectarianism and discrimination does tragically occur in Northern Ireland my government and I were in the process of beginning reforms to the Northern Irish political system and social system. Alongside this I personally invited the Taoiseach Jack Lynch to discuss the situation in Northern Ireland and ensure that the Irish Republic had a say in reforming Northern Ireland. I would also remind you that British army troops were only deployed to Northern Ireland a few days ago, in order to ensure the protection of Catholic communities who were being attacked. The arrival of troops was greeted positively by those Catholic communities and the soldiers were welcomed.

At this time Her Majesty's Government will not allow Red Cross or non-govermental organisations to enter Northern Ireland until security has been restored. They are more than welcome to enter the Irish Republic, excluding the TEZ, though the fighting is occurring on British territory in Northern Ireland. The current situation is also too unstable and dangerous for UN observers to 'monitor the situation'. As such any attempts at a resolution calling for UN observers in Northern Ireland will be rejected on the grounds of their own safety.

Her Majesty's Government will not consider any negotiations until Irish forces have withdrawn from Northern Ireland, three miles behind the border, as per the ultimatum issued earlier this week.

Sincerely,

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse