NATION

PASSWORD

Elfen High 2 (OOC 8, Closed, Will it Hurt?)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Evraim
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Evraim » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:32 pm

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Exactly what are the limits of the joke ability?

Well, Snowflake is about as likely to fall into one of her own pranks as someone else, if that answers the question. They often backfire due to her lack of common sense or her blatant disregard for context. Generally, though, they're harmless. It's not really a magical ability, so much as an elf's mischievous nature acting up.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:38 pm

Evraim wrote:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Exactly what are the limits of the joke ability?

Well, Snowflake is about as likely to fall into one of her own pranks as someone else, if that answers the question. They often backfire due to her lack of common sense or her blatant disregard for context. Generally, though, they're harmless. It's not really a magical ability, so much as an elf's mischievous nature acting up.

I like it then. You can probably make it less than 5 points. Maybe 4. Throw it in some other power.
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:06 am

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:General threads about demon rights must be hilarious.

Oh gods. Damn you Night. Damn you.
"I should have listened to her, so hard to keep control. We kept on eating but our bloated bellies still not full."
Poetry Thread | How to Not Rape | Aspergers v. Assburgers | You Might be an Altie If... | Factbook/Extension

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:09 am

Individuality-ness wrote:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:General threads about demon rights must be hilarious.

Oh gods. Damn you Night. Damn you.

Absolutely brilliant.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:11 am

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:
Individuality-ness wrote:Oh gods. Damn you Night. Damn you.

Absolutely brilliant.

I'm tempted to do a satire on NSG's take on demon rights (as a news post or something). Damn you.
"I should have listened to her, so hard to keep control. We kept on eating but our bloated bellies still not full."
Poetry Thread | How to Not Rape | Aspergers v. Assburgers | You Might be an Altie If... | Factbook/Extension

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:27 am

Individuality-ness wrote:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Absolutely brilliant.

I'm tempted to do a satire on NSG's take on demon rights (as a news post or something). Damn you.

Do it.
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

Erinkita
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Erinkita » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:40 am

Happiness envelopes me, for I know who Mark Gatiss is playing in Game of Thrones. Not as major a character as I hoped, but one that should give him a chance to be brilliant nonetheless.
Loan me a dragon, I wanna see space.
Justice for Jane Doe

Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Agritum » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:55 am

Erinkita wrote:Happiness envelopes me, for I know who Mark Gatiss is playing in Game of Thrones. Not as major a character as I hoped, but one that should give him a chance to be brilliant nonetheless.

Dat feeling when an actor you love plays in a show you love :blush:

Erinkita
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Erinkita » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:03 am

Agritum wrote:
Erinkita wrote:Happiness envelopes me, for I know who Mark Gatiss is playing in Game of Thrones. Not as major a character as I hoped, but one that should give him a chance to be brilliant nonetheless.

Dat feeling when an actor you love plays in a show you love :blush:

Yesss. :hug: You understand.
Loan me a dragon, I wanna see space.
Justice for Jane Doe

Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Agritum » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:46 am

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:05 am

John Hurt lives in Norfolk.

So does Elfen High.
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:19 am

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:John Hurt lives in Norfolk.

So does Elfen High.

I'd remark on your grammar but then I realised Elfen High is a living being.

Damn it.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:23 am

Esty, Fen never introduced herself.
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

Nude East Ireland
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nude East Ireland » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:23 am

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:John Hurt lives in Norfolk.

So does Elfen High.

"And you thought that the sex scene with Matt Smith in the 50th anniversary was weird. I live next door to a dragon corpse run by Aleister Crowley."
Part One of the Incredible, Invincible Team Dai-Zarkeland!

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:08 am

NEI, what episode are you on?
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Postby Esternial » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:10 am

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Esty, Fen never introduced herself.

She introduced herself to that posh dude.

He was in earshot of Emi.

Logic dictates that means Fen was within earshot of Emi.

Walloons have no matters.

QED.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:11 am

Esternial wrote:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Esty, Fen never introduced herself.

She introduced herself to that posh dude.

QED.

That works then.
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Postby Esternial » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:12 am

Esternial wrote:She introduced herself to that posh dude.

QED.

That works then.

It worked! :3

Ranbo
Minister

Founded: Aug 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ranbo » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:35 am

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:http://www.cracked.com/article_20118_5-things-nobody-tells-you-about-living-in-japan.html

I'm sure you lot have all seen this, but really- Japan can suck.

After reading that, I think I have a swath of new material to draw on. :p

As for demons, I can honestly not see how the Japanese could not accept them. Most Japanese do not associate with just one religion—actually, numerous residents identify with no religion—instead drawing from a mix of Shintō and Buddhist beliefs. These two belief systems are coexistent in Japanese culture.

One reason, I can assume, that the "atheist" rate is so high (reportedly 70% in some studies), is that Shintō does not actually require professing faith to be a believer. One can partake in the thought process without actually being regarded as a convert.

I would like to draw attention to the Shintō definition of Kami. They are "spirits abiding in natural phenomena and in people with extraordinary qualities." Basically, abiding by this definition, any being that is not a plain, unpowered human would be considered a Kami by Shintō.

With this in mind, a line in the Wikipedia article stands out. Shintōists believe that "Kami and people are not separate; they exist within the same world and share its interrelated complexity". If we take this to indeed true, there is absolutely no reason why the Japanese would have any qualms whatsoever about accepting immigrants from Hell. Demons and Humans can live together, because to them, that is the natural order of the world.

This is just my two cents worth on your earlier comments, Night. Take it as you will.
Last Edited by Charlie at 4:00 Oogle Time, 1,000,000 times in total

I am from the States of America. I dropped the United a hell of a while ago.
Bhastion Brews. For the coffee lover in you.

Jenrak, kick cancer in the face. We're all proud of your courage.

Ranbo
Minister

Founded: Aug 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ranbo » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:38 am

Incidentally, I'm also feeling that I should post with Hiraku again. I've been making a lot of apps, but my IC participation has been virtually nonexistent as of late.
Last Edited by Charlie at 4:00 Oogle Time, 1,000,000 times in total

I am from the States of America. I dropped the United a hell of a while ago.
Bhastion Brews. For the coffee lover in you.

Jenrak, kick cancer in the face. We're all proud of your courage.

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:45 am

Ranbo wrote:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:http://www.cracked.com/article_20118_5-things-nobody-tells-you-about-living-in-japan.html

As for demons, I can honestly not see how the Japanese could not accept them. Most Japanese do not associate with just one religion—actually, numerous residents identify with no religion—instead drawing from a mix of Shintō and Buddhist beliefs. These two belief systems are coexistent in Japanese culture.

One reason, I can assume, that the "atheist" rate is so high (reportedly 70% in some studies), is that Shintō does not actually require professing faith to be a believer. One can partake in the thought process without actually being regarded as a convert.

I would like to draw attention to the Shintō definition of Kami. They are "spirits abiding in natural phenomena and in people with extraordinary qualities." Basically, abiding by this definition, any being that is not a plain, unpowered human would be considered a Kami by Shintō.

With this in mind, a line in the Wikipedia article stands out. Shintōists believe that "Kami and people are not separate; they exist within the same world and share its interrelated complexity". If we take this to indeed true, there is absolutely no reason why the Japanese would have any qualms whatsoever about accepting immigrants from Hell. Demons and Humans can live together, because to them, that is the natural order of the world.

This is just my two cents worth on your earlier comments, Night. Take it as you will.

As Khan said, however, they don't even let humans in, and want to kick more out, because they're racist.

Why would this be different for demons, who, by the way, just killed millions in a massive world war?
"Then I was fertilized and grew wise;
From a word to a word I was led to a word,
From a work to a work I was led to a work."
- Odin, Hávamál 138-141, the Poetic Edda, as translated by Dan McCoy.

I enjoy meta-humor and self-deprecation. Annoying, right?

Goodbye.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:48 am

Ranbo wrote:

The other issue is just my feeling that if the Japanese can't tolerate Koreans, then how could they tolerate someone as insanely culturally different as a demon? Keep in mind that most humans view demons with fear and hatred, as ten years ago they waged a brutal and bloody war against humanity with millions dead on both sides. I think I had briefly mentioned Tokyo having been mildly injured in the war.

Japan is very protective of its culture and homogeneity. Shintoists probably believe that the Japanese and Africans exist in the same world- but they sure as hell don't want to see a black guy in Tokyo. That would be weird as hell.

http://www.zompist.com/japancult.html

As a side thing.

This thread also has interesting facts about the Japanese by many people from there or with an interest.
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:50 am

You usually don't think in terms of race. That's because everyone on this planet is either a Japanese or a gaijin (foreigner). Period.

You have a firm (if mostly subconscious) belief that Japan and the Japanese are somehow "unique" and different from the rest of the world. If pressed to give reasons, though, you would be unable to provide any.

You likewise believe that Japanese must be the most difficult language in the world. Even though there are nowadays many gaijin (or gaikokujin, to use a more politically correct term) on TV who speak fluent Japanese, you would still be mildly surprised, or even feel uncomfortable, to actually meet one in person.

I really need to point this in particular out.
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Agritum » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:51 am

You usually don't think in terms of race. That's because everyone on this planet is either a Japanese or a gaijin (foreigner). Period.

You have a firm (if mostly subconscious) belief that Japan and the Japanese are somehow "unique" and different from the rest of the world. If pressed to give reasons, though, you would be unable to provide any.

You likewise believe that Japanese must be the most difficult language in the world. Even though there are nowadays many gaijin (or gaikokujin, to use a more politically correct term) on TV who speak fluent Japanese, you would still be mildly surprised, or even feel uncomfortable, to actually meet one in person.

I really need to point this in particular out.

YAMATO DAMASHII.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:52 am

Daistallia 2104 wrote:
Norstal wrote:Well, if I were to guess, since Japanese people expects Asians to act like Japanese, it would be a lot more embarrassing and awkward when it's their own people who can't act Japanese.

That's sort of it, but not exactly.

A really good example came from a friend who was teaching English in the public schools. In one of his classes, he had a returnee. Returnees, especially those who lived in Anglophone countries, quite often speak English well. Many Japanese students, for a variety of reasons we won't go into right now, have trouble with English. Behind this kid in class sat a kid who particularly struggled. The returnee kid had no intention of showing up the other kid, but he did just by virtue of his life experience. As i mentioned above, in japan, the nail that sticks out gets hammered down. Sometimes it happens quite literally. In this case, one day in class, the weak at English kid decided the returnee needed hammering down, and gave him a good hard smack on the head with a heavy book when he answered the teachers question easily. The returnee clammed up and stopped "showing off" his English abilities in class.

I really have no words for that.
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse