NATION

PASSWORD

Elfen High 2 (OOC 8, Closed, Will it Hurt?)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:05 pm

Nationstatelandsville wrote:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:

Mind you, the universe looks cool.

It's just the plot and leads sound incredibly grating.

I had figured the same, but when I started watching it, I quite enjoyed it.
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:07 pm

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:http://science.time.com/2013/10/22/the-united-states-of-attitude-an-interactive-guide-to-americas-moods/

I belong in New Mexico.

Nevada.

Nationstatelandsville wrote:Mind you, the universe looks cool.

It's just the plot and leads sound incredibly grating.

I had figured the same, but when I started watching it, I quite enjoyed it.

I just don't see the appeal of "gruff bad-asses have emotional breakdowns, heavy gay incest subtext".

There's certainly some mileage in it for three seasons, but ten? There's a point that angst and pain stop being compelling and I stop giving a shit; hence why I've never bothered.
"Then I was fertilized and grew wise;
From a word to a word I was led to a word,
From a work to a work I was led to a work."
- Odin, Hávamál 138-141, the Poetic Edda, as translated by Dan McCoy.

I enjoy meta-humor and self-deprecation. Annoying, right?

Goodbye.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:10 pm

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:http://science.time.com/2013/10/22/the-united-states-of-attitude-an-interactive-guide-to-americas-moods/

I belong in New Mexico.

Nevada.

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:I had figured the same, but when I started watching it, I quite enjoyed it.

I just don't see the appeal of "gruff bad-asses have emotional breakdowns, heavy gay incest subtext".

There's certainly some mileage in it for three seasons, but ten? There's a point that angst and pain stop being compelling and I stop giving a shit; hence why I've never bothered.

To be honest, they pretty much stopped being gruff badasses after a while.

Now it's more like "Two brothers who are badasses while good music plays in the background, and Castiel and Crowley make funny".

The gay subtext is there, as always, because of the fangirls who thrive on that shit. I personally ship Dean/Castiel myself.

I stopped caring much about the plot after season 5 - before then, it has a very good plot and Swan Song (season 5 finale) was fantastic. After that, it somewhat loses the trail.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:12 pm

Nationstatelandsville wrote:Nevada.

To be honest, they pretty much stopped being gruff badasses after a while.

Now it's more like "Two brothers who are badasses while good music plays in the background, and Castiel and Crowley make funny".

The gay subtext is there, as always, because of the fangirls who thrive on that shit. I personally ship Dean/Castiel myself.

I stopped caring much about the plot after season 5 - before then, it has a very good plot and Swan Song (season 5 finale) was fantastic. After that, it somewhat loses the trail.

The genre of "supernatural detective", as far as I'm concerned, stopped being an interesting juxtaposition of two different genres I enjoy a while back, and started being standard and overplayed. (I am aware of the hypocrisy, but Vernon never did much detecting.)

It seems generic.

Goodbye.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:14 pm

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:To be honest, they pretty much stopped being gruff badasses after a while.

The genre of "supernatural detective", as far as I'm concerned, stopped being an interesting juxtaposition of two different genres I enjoy a while back, and started being standard and overplayed. (I am aware of the hypocrisy, but Vernon never did much detecting.)

It seems generic.

Oh, they're not detectives at all. Not really, anyways. It's more like just hunters who kill shit. And then they start getting into some very high up stuff.

But I won't push you on it as much as I do for FMA, because FMA is much superior.
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:15 pm

Nationstatelandsville wrote:The genre of "supernatural detective", as far as I'm concerned, stopped being an interesting juxtaposition of two different genres I enjoy a while back, and started being standard and overplayed. (I am aware of the hypocrisy, but Vernon never did much detecting.)

It seems generic.

Oh, they're not detectives at all. Not really, anyways. It's more like just hunters who kill shit. And then they start getting into some very high up stuff.

But I won't push you on it as much as I do for FMA, because FMA is much superior.

I don't know, it just seems to me like any other network TV show, but with angels slapped on. (GRanted, their angelic lore - from which ours is drawn - seems quite cool.)

Goodbye.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:16 pm

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Oh, they're not detectives at all. Not really, anyways. It's more like just hunters who kill shit. And then they start getting into some very high up stuff.

I don't know, it just seems to me like any other network TV show, but with angels slapped on. (GRanted, their angelic lore - from which ours is drawn - seems quite cool.)

People tend to be surprised when they find out that angels (and Castiel) only start appearing after season 4.
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

Nude East Ireland
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nude East Ireland » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:17 pm

Aw, Castiel.
Part One of the Incredible, Invincible Team Dai-Zarkeland!

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:17 pm

Nationstatelandsville wrote:I don't know, it just seems to me like any other network TV show, but with angels slapped on. (GRanted, their angelic lore - from which ours is drawn - seems quite cool.)

People tend to be surprised when they find out that angels (and Castiel) only start appearing after season 4.

Another thing that makes me hesitant - very little of the show seems to be what people consider the good bits.

Goodbye.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:20 pm

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:People tend to be surprised when they find out that angels (and Castiel) only start appearing after season 4.

Another thing that makes me hesitant - very little of the show seems to be what people consider the good bits.

Considering how divided the fanbase is, everyone has something they consider good bits, really.
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:21 pm

I'm apparently supposed to be Pennsylvanian.
Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart. -Khalil Gibran
Cut red tape with the Red Book / Bureaucracy is a system - #ApplyTNI / Think globally, act locally
At fifteen, I set my heart on learning. At thirty, I was firmly established. At forty, I had no more doubts. At fifty, I knew the will of heaven. At sixty, I was ready to listen to it. At seventy, I could follow my heart's desire without transgressing what was right. ~Analects, 2:4
I wear teal, blue, pink, and red for Swith.
mumblemumblemumble

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:21 pm

viewtopic.php?p=17082322#p17082322

NEI, this is something you should look at.

Also, Nat, watch FMA Brotherhood before Supernatural, if you ever watch either. It's a better show and I think Esty and NEI will back me on that.

And just watch FMA Brotherhood, dammit.
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:22 pm

Tiltjuice wrote:I'm apparently supposed to be Pennsylvanian.

I'm sorry.

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?p=17082322#p17082322

NEI, this is something you should look at.

Also, Nat, watch FMA Brotherhood before Supernatural, if you ever watch either. It's a better show and I think Esty and NEI will back me on that.

And just watch FMA Brotherhood, dammit.

Fuck you!

I have to finish all of Five, all of The Thick of It, rewatch all of Eleven, and oh God I'm starting the Eight audios this weekend, I'm such an idiot.

Goodbye.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:23 pm

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:To be honest, they pretty much stopped being gruff badasses after a while.

It seems generic.

Well, to be frank, Sherlock has been overplayed as well; ever since it got a second wind a couple years back. Now I'm pretty much fed up with it.

I blame Elementary for this.

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:25 pm

Esternial wrote:
Nationstatelandsville wrote:The genre of "supernatural detective", as far as I'm concerned, stopped being an interesting juxtaposition of two different genres I enjoy a while back, and started being standard and overplayed. (I am aware of the hypocrisy, but Vernon never did much detecting.)

It seems generic.

Well, to be frank, Sherlock has been overplayed as well; ever since it got a second wind a couple years back. Now I'm pretty much fed up with it.

Sherlock itself is an absolutely fucking revolutionary show, and Sherlock Holmes himself is immortal.

It's like saying Shakespeare is done too much. If you do, you are automatically incorrect. This is just a fact.

Goodbye.

Nude East Ireland
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nude East Ireland » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:31 pm

Esternial wrote:I blame Elementary for this.

Elementary is underrated. I enjoy it.

Nationstatelandsville wrote:And just watch FMA Brotherhood, dammit.

Seriously, watch FMA Brotherhood.
Part One of the Incredible, Invincible Team Dai-Zarkeland!

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Postby Esternial » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:33 pm

Esternial wrote:Well, to be frank, Sherlock has been overplayed as well; ever since it got a second wind a couple years back. Now I'm pretty much fed up with it.

Sherlock itself is an absolutely fucking revolutionary show, and Sherlock Holmes himself is immortal.

It's like saying Shakespeare is done too much. If you do, you are automatically incorrect. This is just a fact.

Well, I haven't seen anything quite like Supernatural. If you boil something down enough, you'll eventually end up with something mundane and bland no matter what you start off with.

Shakespeare is done too much; that is a fact. Sure, it's a classic and it's timeless, but too much of the same in such a short timespan really bores me. At some point Sherlock Holmes was brought back to TV, and suddenly more of it pops up. It's an utterly dull and predictable phenomenon, and Sherlock Holmes clearly isn't excluded from the money-making bandwagon.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Postby Esternial » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:36 pm

Nude East Ireland wrote:

Well, I've watched it and enjoyed it at times, but I can't bring myself to watch both Sherlock and Elementary. Hence I watch neither consistently, but merely sporadically, whenever I feel like it.

Even the Mentalist no longer interests, who's a less obvious twist to the "genius detective" persona. It has gotten rather tedious.

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:36 pm

Nude East Ireland wrote:

It looks bad. I mean, bad.

There's Supernatural, which induces apathy in me, and then there's Elementary, which befuddles me to no end.

Why is Hudson transgender? Why is Holmes in America? Why is Watson such a shitty actress?

Not to mention the general stench of CBS on it.

Esternial wrote:
Nude East Ireland wrote:Elementary is underrated. I enjoy it.

Well, I've watched it and enjoyed it at times, but I can't bring myself to watch both Sherlock and Elementary. Hence I watch neither consistently, but merely sporadically, whenever I feel like it.

Even the Mentalist no longer interests, who's a less obvious twist to the "genius detective" persona. It has gotten rather tedious.

It was tedious pretty much after episode one.

Goodbye.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Postby Esternial » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:41 pm

Esternial wrote:Well, I've watched it and enjoyed it at times, but I can't bring myself to watch both Sherlock and Elementary. Hence I watch neither consistently, but merely sporadically, whenever I feel like it.

Well, to you, perhaps. I found the first season(s) rather enjoyable. It reminds me of Sherlock Holmes, but not too obvious.

Sherlock is okey, but I've already gotten too fed up with detective series after Morse and Frost.

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:46 pm

Esternial wrote:

Well, to you, perhaps. I found the first season(s) rather enjoyable. It reminds me of Sherlock Holmes, but not too obvious.

Sherlock is okey, but I've already gotten too fed up with detective series after Morse and Frost.

Sherlock is okay?

I don't know who you think you are, Belgian, but let me tell you that you tread on a dangerous line.

I don't like police procedurals. Neither Sherlock Holmes nor Sherlock are, or are meant to be. (One of my main problems with Elementary is that it seems like they dumped Holmes into a standard American cop show, which he can't work in.)

Sherlock is... I don't know what the fuck it is. There's some political thriller, some Shakespearean tragedy, some of the classic Holmes, and just a touch of a fairy tale. It is anything but common or overdone.

Goodbye.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:48 pm

Nationstatelandsville wrote:I don't know what the fuck it is. There's some political thriller, some Shakespearean tragedy, some of the classic Holmes, and just a touch of a fairy tale. It is anything but common or overdone.

And you just described FMA Brotherhood perfectly.
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:50 pm

Nationstatelandsville wrote:I don't know what the fuck it is. There's some political thriller, some Shakespearean tragedy, some of the classic Holmes, and just a touch of a fairy tale. It is anything but common or overdone.

And you just described FMA Brotherhood perfectly.

My ultimate qualm with it comes down to this, and though it seems petty, it's important - the main character.

Sherlock is a stoic. I quite like that.

Edward-or-whatever is an obnoxious brat. Maybe it's supposed to be funny, but I really hate that.

Goodbye.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Postby Esternial » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:51 pm

Esternial wrote:Well, to you, perhaps. I found the first season(s) rather enjoyable. It reminds me of Sherlock Holmes, but not too obvious.

Sherlock is okay?

I don't know who you think you are, Belgian, but let me tell you that you tread on a dangerous line.

I don't like police procedurals. Neither Sherlock Holmes nor Sherlock are, or are meant to be. (One of my main problems with Elementary is that it seems like they dumped Holmes into a standard American cop show, which he can't work in.)

Sherlock is... I don't know what the fuck it is. There's some political thriller, some Shakespearean tragedy, some of the classic Holmes, and just a touch of a fairy tale. It is anything but common or overdone.

I recall an episode with some kind of monster wolf and hallucinogenics. That was fun.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:52 pm

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:And you just described FMA Brotherhood perfectly.

My ultimate qualm with it comes down to this, and though it seems petty, it's important - the main character.

Sherlock is a stoic. I quite like that.

Edward-or-whatever is an obnoxious brat. Maybe it's supposed to be funny, but I really hate that.

You just saw Edward in merely the first four episodes. He's a young kid (16 or so), yes, but he's also frankly a soldier and a fighter, and he can get extremely dark and stoic.

And let's not even get into the Roy Mustang-ness of Roy Mustang.
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse