NATION

PASSWORD

Elfen High 2 (OOC 7, Closed, Humans Not Allowed)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:30 am

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:
Nationstatelandsville wrote:I'm feeling somewhat melancholic today - in a "happy for deep people" way, so don't worry about me - so don't expect me to be terribly productive here. Sorry.

Alrighty.

Take a hug regardless. :hug:

FUCK YOU, I'M DEEP!

It's good for writing. Not for writing here, though.
"Then I was fertilized and grew wise;
From a word to a word I was led to a word,
From a work to a work I was led to a work."
- Odin, Hávamál 138-141, the Poetic Edda, as translated by Dan McCoy.

I enjoy meta-humor and self-deprecation. Annoying, right?

Goodbye.

Erinkita
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Erinkita » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:31 am

Nationstatelandsville wrote:I'm feeling somewhat melancholic today - in a "happy for deep people" way, so don't worry about me - so don't expect me to be terribly productive here. Sorry.

I just realised that I have never worried about you. You give the impression of being so self-assured and capable that the thought that you might not be okay has never occurred to me.
Loan me a dragon, I wanna see space.
Justice for Jane Doe

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:33 am

Erinkita wrote:

I just realised that I have never worried about you. You give the impression of being so self-assured and capable that the thought that you might not be okay has never occurred to me.

It's less that I'm self-assured and more that I'm quite uneventful.

I'm an average person who occasionally makes angels cry blood for fun.

Goodbye.

Erinkita
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Erinkita » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:38 am

Nationstatelandsville wrote:
Erinkita wrote:I just realised that I have never worried about you. You give the impression of being so self-assured and capable that the thought that you might not be okay has never occurred to me.

It's less that I'm self-assured and more that I'm quite uneventful.

The ambiguous syntax gives me room to interpret that angels really enjoy crying blood, but won't do it unless someone forces them to. Like how I resent people who make me go to parties, but I always have fun once I'm there. You are a good friend to the angels.
Justice for Jane Doe

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:40 am

Erinkita wrote:
Nationstatelandsville wrote:It's less that I'm self-assured and more that I'm quite uneventful.

The ambiguous syntax gives me room to interpret that angels really enjoy crying blood, but won't do it unless someone forces them to. Like how I resent people who make me go to parties, but I always have fun once I'm there. You are a good friend to the angels.

One tries.

It's happy!

Goodbye.

Erinkita
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Erinkita » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:42 am

Erinkita wrote:The ambiguous syntax gives me room to interpret that angels really enjoy crying blood, but won't do it unless someone forces them to. Like how I resent people who make me go to parties, but I always have fun once I'm there. You are a good friend to the angels.

One tries.

It's happy!

If finds itself in Belfast, it can eat here.
Justice for Jane Doe

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:44 am

Erinkita wrote:
Nationstatelandsville wrote:One tries.

It's happy!

If finds itself in Belfast, it can eat here.

Do you know many North Irish restaurants by name, or did you just Google it?

Goodbye.

Erinkita
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Erinkita » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:45 am

Erinkita wrote:If finds itself in Belfast, it can eat here.

Do you know many North Irish restaurants by name, or did you just Google it?

I Googled it, but several days ago for unrelated reasons.
Justice for Jane Doe

Erinkita
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Erinkita » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:49 am

Because I'm dying to talk about this with someone and there's nobody online to not get what we're talking about, what's your take on Nale's death?
Justice for Jane Doe

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:50 am

Erinkita wrote:
Nationstatelandsville wrote:Do you know many North Irish restaurants by name, or did you just Google it?

I Googled it, but several days ago for unrelated reasons.

I choose to believe that you are part of an underground North Irish rebellion against the Queen that is based in Belfast restaurants with cheery names.

Erinkita wrote:Because I'm dying to talk about this with someone and there's nobody online to not get what we're talking about, what's your take on Nale's death?

Well, he had potential for development after what he did to Malack - that had a very Tarquin streak - so I doubt it will stick.

Goodbye.

Erinkita
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Erinkita » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:58 am

Erinkita wrote:I Googled it, but several days ago for unrelated reasons.

I choose to believe that you are part of an underground North Irish rebellion against the Queen that is based in Belfast restaurants with cheery names.

If there was such a thing, it would be led by Diamanda Hagan and I would have signed up on day one to be her bootlicker. If there was such a thing.

Erinkita wrote:Because I'm dying to talk about this with someone and there's nobody online to not get what we're talking about, what's your take on Nale's death?

Well, he had potential for development after what he did to Malack - that had a very Tarquin streak - so I doubt it will stick.

But bragging about it to Tarquin and then demanding not to be treated as his son had a very Nale streak.
His plan was succeeding, so got overconfident and stopped thinking ahead. I don't see much of a break in the pattern. Just an inevitable tragic result.
Justice for Jane Doe

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:01 am

Erinkita wrote:
Nationstatelandsville wrote:I choose to believe that you are part of an underground North Irish rebellion against the Queen that is based in Belfast restaurants with cheery names.

If there was such a thing, it would be led by Diamanda Hagan and I would have signed up on day one to be her bootlicker. If there was such a thing.

But bragging about it to Tarquin and then demanding not to be treated as his son had a very Nale streak.
His plan was succeeding, so got overconfident and stopped thinking ahead. I don't see much of a break in the pattern. Just an inevitable tragic result.

True.

The way I see it, Malack wasn't a character - he was a device. Rich mentioned somewhere that Malack only came into existence because he had wanted to turn Durkon into a vampire since the third strip.

But, if that's all Malack existed for, it seems strange to me to spend so much time developing his and Tarquin's relationship, which is irrelevant to Durkon - unless he serves another purpose. Nale could've been killed in any number of his schemes and general arrogance, to tack it onto the end of such a personal thing, nearly as an afterthought, seems strange.

On the other hand, if we are, as I suspect, entering the metaphorical "fifth act", this is when people start dropping like flies.

Goodbye.

Erinkita
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Erinkita » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:10 am

Erinkita wrote:If there was such a thing, it would be led by Diamanda Hagan and I would have signed up on day one to be her bootlicker. If there was such a thing.

True.

The way I see it, Malack wasn't a character - he was a device. Rich mentioned somewhere that Malack only came into existence because he had wanted to turn Durkon into a vampire since the third strip.

But, if that's all Malack existed for, it seems strange to me to spend so much time developing his and Tarquin's relationship, which is irrelevant to Durkon - unless he serves another purpose. Nale could've been killed in any number of his schemes and general arrogance, to tack it onto the end of such a personal thing, nearly as an afterthought, seems strange.

On the other hand, if we are, as I suspect, entering the metaphorical "fifth act", this is when people start dropping like flies.

I figure this is part of Elan's character arc, although I can't quite get a handle of where it's going.

As I see it, Malack's other purpose was to serve as a catalyst for Nale's death. We've seen all his flaws exposed many times. Now along comes Tarquin to show us exactly why he's like that. And then kill him. I think the personal nature of this story is what makes it more than an afterthought. If Nale had been killed as part of some random scheme, it wouldn't have meant as much.
Also, we don't know what the end of this story is going to be or what Nale's death will ultimately lead to. The most confusing loose end for me is Sabine. I thought her arc was about choosing between her allegiance to the IFCC and her love for Nale. Maybe it's going to be a "didn't appreciate what you had until it's gone" kind of deal, but I still don't know where that leaves her, story-wise.

What do you mean by "metaphorical fifth act"? I don't think I've heard that expression before.
Justice for Jane Doe

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:20 am

Erinkita wrote:
Nationstatelandsville wrote:True.

I figure this is part of Elan's character arc, although I can't quite get a handle of where it's going.

As I see it, Malack's other purpose was to serve as a catalyst for Nale's death. We've seen all his flaws exposed many times. Now along comes Tarquin to show us exactly why he's like that. And then kill him. I think the personal nature of this story is what makes it more than an afterthought. If Nale had been killed as part of some random scheme, it wouldn't have meant as much.
Also, we don't know what the end of this story is going to be or what Nale's death will ultimately lead to. The most confusing loose end for me is Sabine. I thought her arc was about choosing between her allegiance to the IFCC and her love for Nale. Maybe it's going to be a "didn't appreciate what you had until it's gone" kind of deal, but I still don't know where that leaves her, story-wise.

What do you mean by "metaphorical fifth act"? I don't think I've heard that expression before.

In the Shakespearean structure, you spend the first act establishing characters and their basic relationships that will drive them throughout the rest of the story. This is analogous to the early, joke-a-day comics at the first Gate.

The second is when the plot actually starts, that being the arrival of the paladins. And the fourth is when the fifth - the grand finale - is set up. The end of the fourth, then, typically concerns a pivotal plot development that opens up the floodgates.

Goodbye.

Erinkita
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Erinkita » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:24 am

Erinkita wrote:I figure this is part of Elan's character arc, although I can't quite get a handle of where it's going.

In the Shakespearean structure, you spend the first act establishing characters and their basic relationships that will drive them throughout the rest of the story. This is analogous to the early, joke-a-day comics at the first Gate.

The second is when the plot actually starts, that being the arrival of the paladins. And the fourth is when the fifth - the grand finale - is set up. The end of the fourth, then, typically concerns a pivotal plot development that opens up the floodgates.

Thank you. I didn't know about this type of story structure, but I think I've been unknowingly using it. Having it defined makes my story intentions a lot clearer.
Justice for Jane Doe

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:27 am

Erinkita wrote:
Nationstatelandsville wrote:In the Shakespearean structure, you spend the first act establishing characters and their basic relationships that will drive them throughout the rest of the story. This is analogous to the early, joke-a-day comics at the first Gate.

Thank you. I didn't know about this type of story structure, but I think I've been unknowingly using it. Having it defined makes my story intentions a lot clearer.

It's the usual story structure - it's just a bit more easily definable. (Shakespeare himself did not always stick to it, either, but that's irrelevant.)

But a lot of people tend to die in these plots, usually very, very, very quickly. Not that Rich is necessarily using it,, it just seems appropriate. (In large part because Shakespeare is always appropriate.)

Goodbye.

Erinkita
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Erinkita » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:34 am

Erinkita wrote:Thank you. I didn't know about this type of story structure, but I think I've been unknowingly using it. Having it defined makes my story intentions a lot clearer.

It's the usual story structure - it's just a bit more easily definable. (Shakespeare himself did not always stick to it, either, but that's irrelevant.)

But a lot of people tend to die in these plots, usually very, very, very quickly. Not that Rich is necessarily using it,, it just seems appropriate. (In large part because Shakespeare is always appropriate.)

We've certainly seen a lot of people dying quickly recently. It seems like part of the purpose of the desert storyline is the wrap up the loose plot threads that aren't relevant to the finale. The Linear Guild, Tsukiko, Gobbotopia and the Resistance, even Zz'dtri being dragged off-panel aaaaaaages ago. It's a pretty impressive feat to tidy up so much and still tell a compelling story. Not to mention introducing a major villain this late and not only having it not seem pointless and forced, but a truly awesome character.
Justice for Jane Doe

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:39 am

Erinkita wrote:
Nationstatelandsville wrote:It's the usual story structure - it's just a bit more easily definable. (Shakespeare himself did not always stick to it, either, but that's irrelevant.)

We've certainly seen a lot of people dying quickly recently. It seems like part of the purpose of the desert storyline is the wrap up the loose plot threads that aren't relevant to the finale. The Linear Guild, Tsukiko, Gobbotopia and the Resistance, even Zz'dtri being dragged off-panel aaaaaaages ago. It's a pretty impressive feat to tidy up so much and still tell a compelling story. Not to mention introducing a major villain this late and not only having it not seem pointless and forced, but a truly awesome character.

I imagine that the next book will be spent at the next gate with a massive battle going on, while the Order likely falls into the glowy-door of purple Riftness.

Naturally, bodies will pile up quickly, but I doubt we'll see all too much of the battle.

Goodbye.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:40 am

I have no idea what's being discussed.
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Erinkita
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Erinkita » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:44 am

Erinkita wrote:We've certainly seen a lot of people dying quickly recently. It seems like part of the purpose of the desert storyline is the wrap up the loose plot threads that aren't relevant to the finale. The Linear Guild, Tsukiko, Gobbotopia and the Resistance, even Zz'dtri being dragged off-panel aaaaaaages ago. It's a pretty impressive feat to tidy up so much and still tell a compelling story. Not to mention introducing a major villain this late and not only having it not seem pointless and forced, but a truly awesome character.

I imagine that the next book will be spent at the next gate with a massive battle going on, while the Order likely falls into the glowy-door of purple Riftness.

Naturally, bodies will pile up quickly, but I doubt we'll see all too much of the battle.

It does seem to be heading in that direction. He's teased us with the mystery of riftworld for long enough. And here's the first one our heroes can conveniently enter, while their other options are quickly whittled down...
I hope Hinjo, Lien, and O-Chul are safe. Or at least that they get heroic deaths. I'm attached to those three paladins.

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:I have no idea what's being discussed.

DAMN!
Justice for Jane Doe

Lazarian
Minister

Founded: Jul 14, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Lazarian » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:00 am

yeet
Last edited by Lazarian on Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Erinkita
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Erinkita » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:03 am

Lazarian wrote:

I was expecting it, actually.

To be fair, after Thog died/vanished/whatever, the Linear Guild was going down quickly as an antagonist. And, really, were they ever true antagonists? They're basically a version of the Quirky Miniboss Squad (to quote TV Tropes). More for comedy than an actual "threat", per se. Now, as the plot seems to be getting more serious, it's time to wipe those characters off the map and start killing people. Hence Tsukiko's death, and the Resistance as well.

But it was well done.

A fine summation. *nods*
Justice for Jane Doe

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:08 am

Oh, Erin, check out the Australia app in the countries list and see if it accurately represents your country.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:11 am

So I'm now working on catching up on Darths and Droids.

Nat, you were right- they did the prequels better.
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:15 am

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:So I'm now working on catching up on Darths and Droids.

Nat, you were right- they did the prequels better.

What I liked about the prequels was that they completely told the story to fuck off - they told a fantastic, insane story that grew entirety out of player stupidity, and focused on the player's magnificent stupidity somehow mutating into genius, while dipping into their own interpersonal relationships in a medium-bending general awesome thing I don't know a word for.

Now they're wrapped up the non-RP plot and neutered the storytelling to adhere to the actual plot of the movies.

Goodbye.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse