NATION

PASSWORD

Elfen High 2 (OOC 7, Closed, Humans Not Allowed)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:06 pm

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13452711

This is genuinely fascinating.

This could quite possibly mean that the Amondawa moved away from other linguistic influences before such a concept arouse - which means that either people have been living in the Amazon for far longer than we think, or that said concept is far younger than we think possible.

But I'm no anthropologist.
"Then I was fertilized and grew wise;
From a word to a word I was led to a word,
From a work to a work I was led to a work."
- Odin, Hávamál 138-141, the Poetic Edda, as translated by Dan McCoy.

I enjoy meta-humor and self-deprecation. Annoying, right?

Goodbye.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:08 pm

Nationstatelandsville wrote:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13452711

This is genuinely fascinating.

This could quite possibly mean that the Amondawa moved away from other linguistic influences before such a concept arouse - which means that either people have been living in the Amazon for far longer than we think, or that said concept is far younger than we think possible.

I think the odds lean toward the latter.

Also, the Indonesian language doesn't understand your silly tenses.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18823_5- ... nd_p2.html

Perhaps weirder than that, Indonesian people often don't use terms to explain the passage of time at all. That is, in English if you're reporting a crime, you're either going to say, "Mel Gibson shot my dad," "Mel Gibson is shooting my dad" or "Mel Gibson is about to shoot my dad." There's no way to relay that information without giving away where in the shooting process we currently are chronologically. But in Indonesia they have a way to just convey that without any tense at all, and they often do it.
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:11 pm

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:
Nationstatelandsville wrote:This could quite possibly mean that the Amondawa moved away from other linguistic influences before such a concept arouse - which means that either people have been living in the Amazon for far longer than we think, or that said concept is far younger than we think possible.

I think the odds lean toward the latter.

Also, the Indonesian language doesn't understand your silly tenses.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18823_5- ... nd_p2.html

Perhaps weirder than that, Indonesian people often don't use terms to explain the passage of time at all. That is, in English if you're reporting a crime, you're either going to say, "Mel Gibson shot my dad," "Mel Gibson is shooting my dad" or "Mel Gibson is about to shoot my dad." There's no way to relay that information without giving away where in the shooting process we currently are chronologically. But in Indonesia they have a way to just convey that without any tense at all, and they often do it.

The Indonesian language sounds like an old black-and-white comedy sketch.

You know, the ones they would describe as "zany!" and have fat white guys with Chaplin mustaches.

Goodbye.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:12 pm

Seriously though- the thought that the concept of time is younger than we imagined brings up points of its own- how did human civilisations the world over discover and utilise that concept? And why did this one Latin American tribe not?
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:16 pm

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Seriously though- the thought that the concept of time is younger than we imagined brings up points of its own- how did human civilisations the world over discover and utilise that concept? And why did this one Latin American tribe not?

Short answer?

Aliens.

Long answer?

Time Lords.

Goodbye.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:18 pm

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Seriously though- the thought that the concept of time is younger than we imagined brings up points of its own- how did human civilisations the world over discover and utilise that concept? And why did this one Latin American tribe not?

Short answer?

Aliens.

Long answer?

Time Lords.

Seems a good an explanation as any.
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:42 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-23766759

I feel like this is a setup for a comedy film.
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:57 pm

Right now I'm pissed off at some people on NSG (you know what I'm talking about Night), so I won't put up an IC response until tomorrow most likely. Instead, I'm reading a book about chiropractic medicine and how it should start adhering to science-based principles instead of "all disease can be cured by spinal manipulation".
"I should have listened to her, so hard to keep control. We kept on eating but our bloated bellies still not full."
Poetry Thread | How to Not Rape | Aspergers v. Assburgers | You Might be an Altie If... | Factbook/Extension

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:58 pm

Individuality-ness wrote:Right now I'm pissed off at some people on NSG (you know what I'm talking about Night), so I won't put up an IC response until tomorrow most likely. Instead, I'm reading a book about chiropractic medicine and how it should start adhering to science-based principles instead of "all disease can be cured by spinal manipulation".

Mkay, tis fine.

Though you should do what I do and realise that absolutely nothing anyone says on NSG matters. :p
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:02 pm

So a Glawgow MP dropped his British citizenship to be the governor of Pakistani Punjab.

Glasgow is so bad he went to Pakistan. :lol:
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

Erinkita
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Erinkita » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:06 pm

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:So a Glawgow MP dropped his British citizenship to be the governor of Pakistani Punjab.

It's worse than you can imagine.
Loan me a dragon, I wanna see space.
Justice for Jane Doe

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:10 pm

Erinkita wrote:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:So a Glawgow MP dropped his British citizenship to be the governor of Pakistani Punjab.

It's worse than you can imagine.

YouTube's being a bitch, what is it?
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:11 pm

Glasgow is a place that let Craig Ferguson be in a punk band.

No, I'm still not over this.

Goodbye.

Erinkita
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Erinkita » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:11 pm

YouTube's being a bitch, what is it?

That sucks. :/
It's a clip from a show called Garth Marenghi's Darkplace where the main character give a melodramatic rant about his one night is Glasgow.
Justice for Jane Doe

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:15 pm

Glasgow is a place that let Craig Ferguson be in a punk band.

I was going to make Glasgow the new Capitol of the UK, but then I decided that'd be terrifying.
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

Erinkita
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Erinkita » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:16 pm

Australian politics is just terrible.
Justice for Jane Doe

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:16 pm

Nationstatelandsville wrote:Glasgow is a place that let Craig Ferguson be in a punk band.

I was going to make Glasgow the new Capitol of the UK, but then I decided that'd be terrifying.

"In other news, Prime Minister Angus has decided to pay this year's tax refunds with bagpipe solos."

Goodbye.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:17 pm

Erinkita wrote:Australian politics is just terrible.

Us outsiders find it brilliant.
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:17 pm

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:I was going to make Glasgow the new Capitol of the UK, but then I decided that'd be terrifying.

"In other news, Prime Minister Angus has decided to pay this year's tax refunds with bagpipe solos."

Mind, I made it Edinburgh.
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:19 pm

Nationstatelandsville wrote:"In other news, Prime Minister Angus has decided to pay this year's tax refunds with bagpipe solos."

Mind, I made it Edinburgh.

"In other news, Nat has only hold of Edinburgh because of Blackadder."

Goodbye.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:24 pm

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Mind, I made it Edinburgh.

Edinburgh is the second richest city in the UK and part of Scotland.
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

Erinkita
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Erinkita » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:26 pm

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Mind, I made it Edinburgh.

It was the scientific centre of Europe once.

Erinkita wrote:Australian politics is just terrible.

Us outsiders find it brilliant.

It's not. We have elections every 3 years, which means parties always have to be thinking of the next one. It encourages short-term bullshit policies that sound flashy but change nothing. This leads to massive widespread political apathy. And since we have compulsory voting, the only way to win an election is to appeal to people who know and care nothing about politics, giving further incentive to PR-friendly fluff over actual substance, which worsens the apathy problem and creates a vicious cycle.
Justice for Jane Doe

Erinkita
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Erinkita » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:27 pm

:o Nale!
Last edited by Erinkita on Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Justice for Jane Doe

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:27 pm

Erinkita wrote:
Nationstatelandsville wrote:"In other news, Nat has only hold of Edinburgh because of Blackadder."

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Us outsiders find it brilliant.

It's not. We have elections every 3 years, which means parties always have to be thinking of the next one. It encourages short-term bullshit policies that sound flashy but change nothing. This leads to massive widespread political apathy. And since we have compulsory voting, the only way to win an election is to appeal to people who know and care nothing about politics, giving further incentive to PR-friendly fluff over actual substance, which worsens the apathy problem and creates a vicious cycle.

BUT JOHN OLIVER SAID IT WAS A GOOD IDEA!

(cries)

Goodbye.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:29 pm

Erinkita wrote:
Nationstatelandsville wrote:"In other news, Nat has only hold of Edinburgh because of Blackadder."

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Us outsiders find it brilliant.

On the plus side, you can write "All politicians are wankers" on your ballot and someone has to read it.
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse