NATION

PASSWORD

Elfen High 2 (OOC 5, Closed)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:19 am

Seshephe wrote:
Olthar wrote:The entire Linnaean taxonomic system needs to be thrown out. It is massively out of date, so much so that it now actively contradicts evolutionary biology.

That's not really true, the Linean system is continuously modified to account for DNA evidence.

One can only patch up a broken system before one must simply get a new one. There's now more spackle and duct tape than actual structure in the Linnaean system, and there are still countless problems with it. It's time to get a new one.

Seshephe wrote:
Olthar wrote:Actually, bacteria are significantly smaller than cells. :p

Except the ons that are much bigger. Bacteria are a diverse form of life...

I suppose. Most are smaller, though, especially the ones we're most familiar with, like the ones inside of us.

Fun trivia fact: 90% of our bodies are composed of things that aren't even quantifiably "us." :p
The Second Cataclysm: My New RP

Roll Them Bones: A Guide to Dice RPs

My mommy says I'm special.
Add 37 to my post count for my previous nation.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

Seshephe
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Seshephe » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:20 am

AETEN II wrote:
Olthar wrote:The entire Linnaean taxonomic system needs to be thrown out. It is massively out of date, so much so that it now actively contradicts evolutionary biology.

And Sesh, are entire understanding of life has changed, and the classification of dinosaurs is one of the strangest, most fucked up things that provides the best evidence of why we need a better system.

I disagree, the Linean system needs to be continuously updated as it always has been. Besides, Dinosaurs are a bad example as all of their taxonomy is still dependent on features of their skeleton and not more objective genetic markers.

AETEN II
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby AETEN II » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:22 am

Seshephe wrote:
AETEN II wrote:And Sesh, are entire understanding of life has changed, and the classification of dinosaurs is one of the strangest, most fucked up things that provides the best evidence of why we need a better system.

I disagree, the Linean system needs to be continuously updated as it always has been. Besides, Dinosaurs are a bad example as all of their taxonomy is still dependent on features of their skeleton and not more objective genetic markers.

And then there's their bodily functions, which we're gaining more evidence of than ever. Unsurprisingly, Theropods were likely warm blooded and active, and if my knowledge serve me right, an Ornithopod had a four-chambered heart.
"Quod Vult, Valde Valt"

Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? 'Cause if it leaks to the V.C. he could end up M.I.A., and then we'd all be put out in K.P.

Nationstatelandsville wrote:"Why'd the chicken cross the street?"

"Because your dad's a whore."

"...He died a week ago."

"Of syphilis, I bet."

Best Gif on the internet.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:25 am

This reminds me of a discussion I had with one of the professors at my university concerning biologists. I don't remember what led up to it, but she said, "Biologists are assholes. Never forget this. You'd think we would be able to agree on basic taxomic categorization, but no. If ANY biologist begins discussing taxonomy to you outside of college, run the hell away."
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Seshephe
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Seshephe » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:26 am

Olthar wrote:
Seshephe wrote:
That's not really true, the Linean system is continuously modified to account for DNA evidence.

One can only patch up a broken system before one must simply get a new one. There's now more spackle and duct tape than actual structure in the Linnaean system, and there are still countless problems with it. It's time to get a new one.

Seshephe wrote:
Except the ons that are much bigger. Bacteria are a diverse form of life...

I suppose. Most are smaller, though, especially the ones we're most familiar with, like the ones inside of us.

Fun trivia fact: 90% of our bodies are composed of things that aren't even quantifiably "us." :p

I don't think that the Linean system will ever be replaced. Speaking from my understanding of bacteriology the system seems to work just fine. Big changes do happen. Entire trees are rearranged as the genetic evidence comes to light, but the system as such works fine.

Also, yes I am aware of that. Remarkably though most of those bacteria live in the guts, skin and other "none sterile" body surfaces. Also, by volume or "percent of body mass" it is much less than that. I believe that the number you quoted is "number of cells" or something to that effect. Only a few percent of our body mass is made up of non human cells though.
Last edited by Seshephe on Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:27 am

Mavorpen wrote:This reminds me of a discussion I had with one of the professors at my university concerning biologists. I don't remember what led up to it, but she said, "Biologists are assholes. Never forget this. You'd think we would be able to agree on basic taxomic categorization, but no. If ANY biologist begins discussing taxonomy to you outside of college, run the hell away."

Outside of?

Inside of college as well.
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:28 am

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:This reminds me of a discussion I had with one of the professors at my university concerning biologists. I don't remember what led up to it, but she said, "Biologists are assholes. Never forget this. You'd think we would be able to agree on basic taxomic categorization, but no. If ANY biologist begins discussing taxonomy to you outside of college, run the hell away."

Outside of?

I think she meant inside of class.

Then again, I'd love to see half the class vaulting over tables in a rush to get out when taxonomy comes up.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:28 am

Well, I am now completely caught up on Order of the Stick.

...That was the most random and stupid twist I've encountered in a long time. "Oh, snake's suddenly a vampire! Isn't that mind-blowing?"
"Then I was fertilized and grew wise;
From a word to a word I was led to a word,
From a work to a work I was led to a work."
- Odin, Hávamál 138-141, the Poetic Edda, as translated by Dan McCoy.

I enjoy meta-humor and self-deprecation. Annoying, right?

Goodbye.

AETEN II
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby AETEN II » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:29 am

Mavorpen wrote:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Outside of?

I think she meant inside of class.

Then again, I'd love to see half the class vaulting over tables in a rush to get out when taxonomy comes up.

And then us biology and paleontology nerds enter a violent debate that ends in ALL the tables being flipped.

Also Nat, HE IS A WHITE LIZARD. WHITE. WITH RED EYES.

That didn't scream undead at all?
"Quod Vult, Valde Valt"

Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? 'Cause if it leaks to the V.C. he could end up M.I.A., and then we'd all be put out in K.P.

"...He died a week ago."

"Of syphilis, I bet."

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:31 am

AETEN II wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:I think she meant inside of class.

And then us biology and paleontology nerds enter a violent debate that ends in ALL the tables being flipped.

I ASSUMED HE WAS A WEIRD LIZARD.

Doesn't make it any less stupid.

Goodbye.

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:32 am

:lol:

Seshephe wrote:
Olthar wrote:One can only patch up a broken system before one must simply get a new one. There's now more spackle and duct tape than actual structure in the Linnaean system, and there are still countless problems with it. It's time to get a new one.

I don't think that the Linean system will ever be replaced. Speaking from my understanding of bacteriology the system seems to work just fine. Big changes do happen. Entire trees are rearranged as the genetic evidence comes to light, but the system as such works fine.

"Works fine" isn't really how I'd describe it when it has obvious, glaring inaccuracies.

Seshephe wrote:Also, yes I am aware of that. Remarkably though most of those bacteria live in the guts, skin and other "none sterile" body surfaces. Also, by volume or "percent of body mass" it is much less than that. I believe that the number you quoted is "number of cells" or something to that effect. Only a few percent of our body mass is made up of non human cells though.

Yes. Number of cells. I don't know the percent for body mass.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:32 am

My brother-in-law may be visiting us soon.

Aliana is happy.

I'm going to get as many Sikhs as I can for protection.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:32 am

AETEN II wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:I think she meant inside of class.

Not the tables! D:

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:33 am

Nationstatelandsville wrote:
AETEN II wrote:And then us biology and paleontology nerds enter a violent debate that ends in ALL the tables being flipped.

I ASSUMED HE WAS A WEIRD LIZARD.

Doesn't make it any less stupid.

There have been numerous hints since the beginning, and it was all very much planned out in advance. I'm sure you could head to the forums, and someone (read: everyone) would be glad to point out every single tiny hint in excruciating detail if you want. :P

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:34 am

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:My brother-in-law may be visiting us soon.

Aliana is happy.

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:34 am

Aliana is happy.

He doesn't seem like the man to kill you, Night.

That is too good for you.

Goodbye.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:34 am

Olthar wrote:

Aliana is happy.

Aliana is happy.

He doesn't seem like the man to kill you, Night.

No, I'm picturing this man in Mumbai.
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

AETEN II
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby AETEN II » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:35 am

Aliana is happy.

Sikhs- the ultimate bodyguard.

You can tell America is different than India- a couple years back some asshole was drunk, thought a Sikh was a muslim (LOOK AT THE GODDAMN TURBAN, IT'S NOT ISLAMIC), and shot him. I don't remember if we found the culprit, but I don't have memory of a trial.

Mind you, if this was India, that guy would be dead. Just dead. Because have a longer expected lifespan when pissing off the Mafia then you do pissing off Sikhs in Inida.
"Quod Vult, Valde Valt"

"...He died a week ago."

"Of syphilis, I bet."

Seshephe
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Seshephe » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:36 am

Olthar wrote:"Works fine" isn't really how I'd describe it when it has obvious, glaring inaccuracies.

Please tell me about these glaring inaccuracies because I don't know of any.

Olthar wrote:Yes. Number of cells. I don't know the percent for body mass.

I think it is in the order of 5% or something like that...
Last edited by Seshephe on Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:37 am

Seshephe wrote:
Olthar wrote:"Works fine" isn't really how I'd describe it when it has obvious, glaring inaccuracies.

*herds you two off to General now*
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:37 am

Olthar wrote: :lol:

Nationstatelandsville wrote:He doesn't seem like the man to kill you, Night.

Birds of a feather.

Goodbye.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:38 am

Birds of a feather.

Genocide together.

Also,

Him: "I'm looking forward to practising and learning some more Marathi."
Me: "Fuck you."
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:38 am

Seshephe wrote:

Oh god. I'm done with this. I'm not getting into an argument when I have better things to do.

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:39 am

Nationstatelandsville wrote:Birds of a feather.

Genocide together.

Also,

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:39 am

Olthar wrote:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Genocide together.

Also,

I said that in Marathi, to give him a start.
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse