NATION

PASSWORD

A Desert Story (Closed)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Dalria
Minister

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

A Desert Story (Closed)

Postby Dalria » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:06 pm

We Rangers hail from back east, what used to be called Nevada. Our heritage stretches back to the days of the Texas Rangers. We learn survival and combat skills in order to go out into the world and have a chance of surviving and making things better.

Tipper sat on a bench watching some of the other rangers train on the firing course. He always waited tell it cleared out to go train with himself. As the last of the chambers were emptied it started to clear. The last few men were the elite squad known was the "Desert Foxes" lead by the ranger in charge Michael Lane, who Tipper hated for being an asshole. He put his rifle in a table and walked towards Tipper on the bench, "hey I heard the brahmin dung needs cleaning up the children are suppose to clean that up aren't they" the elite rangers laughed walking away. He went up to the firing table grabbed a rifle and started shooting rounds he reminded himself of his mistakes on past missions. He remembered how he and a spotter went out to clear a den of geckos who were disturbing a local settlement and he got bitten by one because he hadn't cleaned his rifle well enough so it jammed. He just wished he could be great but he knew he'd never make head ranger so in the meantime he was just waiting on the next mission to prove himself and today was his day to take picks for a mission.

Lancearc
Post Marshal

Founded: May 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lancearc » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:20 pm

"Might want to steady that hand." a voice came in from behind the young ranger. William Artis remained at the range, sitting against the wall near the bench with pieces of his partially disassembled bolt-action rifle laid out on the ground before him. He'd been amongst the rangers for around six years--ever since he was 22--and he'd earned at least some degree of respect from even the most experienced members of the rangers. He returned the barrel to its position on the rifle and worked the bolt, before returning all of the components of the rifle to their respective positions. "Can't listen to 'em too much or you'll just end up doin' somethin' stupid, but I guess you have that under control, judgin' by how much they tend to toss insults your way." he observed.
If you ever need advice on writing, help creating an RP of your own, or just generally need any kind of help, feel free to TG! I've been around the block in my old age.

Member of The Council of the Multiverse community. Click me to find out more!

Check out The Living Waste of Mekhallah, an original low-fantasy setting.

Dalria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Dalria » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:27 pm

"Thanks William, but I shouldn't take there shit it ain't no fair!" his face brightened up slightly embarrassed. "I was born a ranger my father was one of the greatest desert rangers to ever live even creating our sanctuary we have here, why do I get the short stick". He looked back at the target held his breath and slowly squeezed the trigger hitting an inch away from the bulls eye. Then he looked back at the sun slowly setting mentioning one last thing, "I'd like you to accompany me on a mission of my choice tomorrow after were assigned, would you mind?".

Lancearc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lancearc » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:30 pm

"Seems to me you're living a little too far into your father's shadow." William said, glancing down range as Tipper fired at the targets set out. "Can't rely on the things that your old man did to help you get along in the world. Have to make greatness for yourself. Think someone before the war said that once." William said, pondering where he'd heard the wise words before.

"I'd be more than happy to." William said with a nod as Tipper asked him to tag along on a mission he'd be assigned later on.
If you ever need advice on writing, help creating an RP of your own, or just generally need any kind of help, feel free to TG! I've been around the block in my old age.

Dalria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Dalria » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:40 pm

Tipper nodded back as a sign of reassurance, "you're a good man" he said with trying not to show he didn't believe a word William said thinking it was only sympathy. He set the gun down and started to walk towards the barn he looked at older wiser rangers walking by discussing the upcoming winter. "William what do you think we'll do they say this winter a large radioactive storm is suppose to come through the region up to 200 mile winds with rads up too 600 we can abandon our home" he said striking up conversation.

occ: I'm trying to stall until Treorai is online.

Lancearc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lancearc » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:46 pm

"We'll just have to get below ground somehow. Some old tornado shelters or somethin'. Maybe a forgotten vault nearby. Gonna have to move quickly too if that's what we decide to do. We'll just lose all of our supplies 'n livestock if we don't get them somewhere safe as well."

Dalria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Dalria » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:03 pm

"I mean radiation like that no storm cellars around here can withstand that and there has been no site of those magical story book vaults anywhere but maybe we could look into that as a possibility. But we must save the livestock and purifiers those are our most powerful ally's without it many tribal would die" he anxiously looked into the distance of the open gate the wide open plains, the wasteland which had claimed his mother and disabled his father. It was a scary sight nothing for ever but radiation and the skeletons of the old world in the end seeing the savage natives and irradiated wildlife which caused havoc all over the new world. Tipper wish he could change it all, fix it all, he wished he could find sanctuary away from it all and help everyone a vault was always in his dreams. For now he had to man up and rise the ranks to become like his father no matter what pressure was put onto him.

The Treorai
Senator

Founded: Jul 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Treorai » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:19 pm

There was a whir coming from the repair shed. Blake was working an electric drill, to repair one of the senior ranger's face masks. While the old man was good with a gun, he didn't know the first thing about the mechanics of his armor. "When I put it on," he had said "I can't see through the left eye." Blake had taken one look at it, and seen the there was a lot of dust in the Optic Frame. They never listened to him when it came to keeping their armor clean. More times than not, it was the desert sand that screwed with the Ranger's armor. After taking the old frame out, Blake was fitting a new one to the helmet. It only took one adjustment, and then click. He turned the eye piece three times, and another click. He finally slid the eye piece back into the mask, and it was fixed. Deciding that he had spent to much time in the shed, as he had been in there since sun rise, Blake walked outside into the bright sun. It took a moment for his eyes to adjust, but when they did, he walked for the gun range. While he wasn't the best with a gun, he figured practice made perfect.
GOD-KING OF ABRASIVENESS

Dumb Ideologies wrote:It's a situation intrinsic to the committed ideologue. Whenever one makes a counter-argument the goalposts seem not only to move in two dimensions but also float several hundred thousand miles above the pitch whilst wearing cast-iron earplugs.

Rainbows and Rivers wrote:Dictators blaming America for all their problems? That's new.

Caninope wrote:If I think in my mind that the book sitting in front of me is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows when it is in fact Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised, 11th Edition, then it doesn't make me any more objectively correct.

Dalria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Dalria » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:26 pm

Tipper walking with William saw Blake take a relief from the shack so he jogged over. Blake was the person he could trust he became like a brother to him they had always had each others backs sense he arrived. "Blake hows it going" he muttered in astonishment seeing as he hadn't seen Blake leave the repair shack lately.

The Treorai
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Treorai » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:30 pm

Dalria wrote:Tipper walking with William saw Blake take a relief from the shack so he jogged over. Blake was the person he could trust he became like a brother to him they had always had each others backs sense he arrived. "Blake hows it going" he muttered in astonishment seeing as he hadn't seen Blake leave the repair shack lately.

Blake sighed. "To many damn idiots don't want to clean their optics, that's how it's going." he said with a half grin. "I've been in the shop for hours on end repairing masks because the senior rangers don't want to clean them. God help them if I get shot." Blake rubbed his eyes. "I haven't gotten more than three hours sleep for days, because of repairs."
GOD-KING OF ABRASIVENESS

Dumb Ideologies wrote:It's a situation intrinsic to the committed ideologue. Whenever one makes a counter-argument the goalposts seem not only to move in two dimensions but also float several hundred thousand miles above the pitch whilst wearing cast-iron earplugs.

Rainbows and Rivers wrote:Dictators blaming America for all their problems? That's new.

Caninope wrote:If I think in my mind that the book sitting in front of me is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows when it is in fact Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised, 11th Edition, then it doesn't make me any more objectively correct.

Lancearc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lancearc » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:32 pm

"Not a really uncommon about of sleep." William commented with a yawn, catching himself. "St least, in the wasteland." he corrected, remembering his years of wandering prior to his stumbling upon the desert rangers.

Dalria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Dalria » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:40 pm

"You boys want to go on a scouting run I've heard a crazy group of raiders have moved into the area we could find them an put there heads on a stake" Tipper winked walking towards the armory. "Then we can get some leave and have all the sleep time we want come on it might be fun a little action, no senor rangers to worry about. We just don't have to tell them" his novice leadership rose up.

Karsland
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Karsland » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:51 pm

Riela had been traveling with this band of mercenaries for nearly ten years at this point, she never really got attached to them though. She was just there to kill raiders and slavers, she never really socialized with the other members. They had been heading east taking jobs from various tibes and living off the land, and were just now getting to what was Nevada. They continued to push west looking for more work when she heard a remark from the latest member behind her.

"Damn its hot here... why did we head out east if its going to be like this... hey we should head back west... or north, its supposed to be nice and cool up there..."

Riela was growing weary of his whining, it wasn't her choice to bring him along but he was talking the group to death, but as she was thinking this she saw a group of what she figured was a group of raiders ahead, instantly flinging her FAL off of her shoulder and rushing up to a rock and resting the rifle on it... taking aim

"Hey dont start a fight here! thats like four times our numbe..." The plead was inturupted by a shot, a shot that hit one of the raiders clean in the head.
With this, most of the raiders seemed confused and demoralised, but the leader managed to rally his band and start to strike back.

The other three rushed to a rock formation to take cover from the returning fire, but the new kid was hit before he could make it, there was no way to save him at this point.
Despite the superior equipment and experience, they still only had three members to fight off 16 raiders, even after killing off around 6 of them it seemed like a hopeless fight, just a fight to slow the inevitable...
Last edited by Karsland on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lancearc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lancearc » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:59 pm

"Better than lying around and waiting to get sent out by the higher ups." William quickly responded with a nod. Truthfully he was ecstatic to go out, it had been far too long since he'd actually done anything worthwhile, but he maintained his outward facade of indifference.

Dalria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Dalria » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:02 pm

"Lets roll out maybe we'll find something excited is that okay with you Blake" he nodded making sure he was alright with the expedition before leaving he wanted to make sure he didn't force anyone to die if it came down to it.

Karsland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Karsland » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:16 pm

The battle dragged on, the raiders took cover in an abandoned town, with both sides basically taking wil shots at eachother.

"I told you to not start a fight! We don't have enough ammo for this!"

Riela ignored this, as she often did, taking aim and dropping another raider, in this situation she was the only one who could accurately hit anyone, so they got into a habit of supressing while she took aim to pick them off as they emerged.

"Hey I'm running low over here! I don't know how long I can keep this up!" Was heard from the rock formation, she didn't know which one said it, but she knew it was bad.
Last edited by Karsland on Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lancearc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lancearc » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:26 pm

"Not a problem. Just have to go get my helmet if we're going to leave now." William said, tugging on the trench cost sleeve as he spoke. The rangers had a surprisingly good access to the pre-war helmets and gas masks of used before the world went down, and combined they formed the intimidating headgear of the skilled fighters. Combined with the black coats worn over the armor, and anyone would fear rightfully the elite men. He knew he had when he first encountered them.

The Treorai
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Treorai » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:30 pm

Blake hesitated for a moment, and finnally said "Sure, why not? I don't have anything else to do today. I'll just go grab my armor. Meet you guys by the gate?"
GOD-KING OF ABRASIVENESS

Dalria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Dalria » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:33 pm

Tipper ran towards the gate excited they were going out without consent without a senor to push them around. Today he could be the senor today they could accomplish something themselves without someone taking credit. He grabbed his brush gun and ran out towards the gate and was readied to go.

Lancearc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lancearc » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:38 pm

"Sounds like a plan. I'll be off then." William said after Blake agreed to come along, departing. He began the return trip to the building that was used as the barracks for a number of the rangers. Few we're inside the dusty building that surely must've once been a small barn, and those that were slept soundly. He found his way to the bunk he used, were his helmet sat upon his bed. He grabbed the piece of equipment and slid into it, exhaling, the gas mask giving the sound a near robotic property.

He exited the barracks, heading towards the gate with his rifje slung over his shoulder.

Dalria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Dalria » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:42 pm

Michael ran out in his full ranger gear with two other rangers pushing past Tipper, "where are you off too" Tipper asked curiously. "Damn muties to the south we are going to clean up. Wanna come, oh wait you're not a high enough rank" he smirked running off towards the south. Tipper muttered "Well i'm heading west then". He looked over to see Siera shyly looking at him across the barns he smiled and waved as she waved back the smile lit up on her face. He had decided after the mission he was going to court her of course the rangers would need more children, "were wasting daylight let us leave"!

The Treorai
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Treorai » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:59 pm

Dalria wrote:Michael ran out in his full ranger gear with two other rangers pushing past Tipper, "where are you off too" Tipper asked curiously. "Damn muties to the south we are going to clean up. Wanna come, oh wait you're not a high enough rank" he smirked running off towards the south. Tipper muttered "Well i'm heading west then". He looked over to see Siera shyly looking at him across the barns he smiled and waved as she waved back the smile lit up on her face. He had decided after the mission he was going to court her of course the rangers would need more children, "were wasting daylight let us leave"!

Blake had gone back to the Repair Shed. He had his bunk there, and kept all of his things. Opeing the rusted locker that held his barely used duster and armor, Blake slid out of his mechanic's fatigues. He first clipped the under armor to his body. It wasn't much more complicated than normal combat armor. The only thing that set it apart from any other armors was the fact that it was semi-power armor. While not as advanced as the T-51b Power Armor used b y the US military before the war, the Riot Gear many simply called the Duster Armor would protect you from anything short of Armor Piercing Rounds. Blake placed the mask on his face, and pulled the Duster coat over it all. He then turned, and made his way for the gate.
GOD-KING OF ABRASIVENESS

Dalria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Dalria » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:08 pm

Tipper started to walk out the gate west, towards the border there had been more raider sightings he thought he could have some of their heads due to them being unconventional savagaes. "Ya'll ready" he muttered, "for whatever we face". He smiled thinking this would make his father proud but something in his heart in return said it would be the death of him but he did not pay any attention to it.

Occ: Kar we will be there soon give us a few more post and we will hear the gunshots.

Lancearc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lancearc » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:13 pm

"Just another day." William replied simply as they set off, away from the ranch that the rangers called their home. He unslung the rifle from his shoulder, gripping the wooden weapon tightly in his gloves hands as he glanced about the immediate area, the desert heat intensified just slightly in the armor he'd donned.

Karsland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Karsland » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:41 pm

Riela droped another three, but eight raiders still were alive, that was four more then Riela had the ammo for, she had to make the shots count, and maybe she could take one or two down in close combat.

"Im out im going for the kids gun!"
The leader leaned out from the rocks to grab the gun, but was hit by a ricochet round in the hand
"shit! im out, its up to you two!"

This was bad, really bad, for Riela and her team.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse