NATION

PASSWORD

The Serene Republic (Interest)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Northern Artic Islands
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

The Serene Republic (Interest)

Postby Northern Artic Islands » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:15 am

It is the year 1211 and Venice is the most important Trade Center of the World.
Doge Enrico Dandolo is the current ruler of The Most Serene Republic of Venice, but he has little control over every citizen, and rival Families could create riots any day. Candia has just been Annexed, bringing even more control over the Trade.

This is a Character-based RP over the Rival Families in Venice, all trying to gain power, wealth or even become the Doge.

I will be the the Pope, and will RP any necessary character, if requested in the OOC, but I will also be the Doge at the start.

Election of the Doge is quite a complicated matter, and if he dies, who will be the predecessor will be discussed in the OOC, basing on what the Family did for Venice and its citizens.

Anyone interested? Questions?

Apps:
Nation Name:
Family Name (Keep it Italian-ish):
Members of the Family:
Family's Business:
Relations outside Venice:
Brief history:
Last edited by Northern Artic Islands on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:14 am, edited 5 times in total.
Economic Left/Right: -3.1
Social Liberitarian/Authoritarian -2.2
I am a center-left moderate social libertarian.

The problem with quotes on the Internet, is the difficulty to verify it's authenticity -Abraham Lincoln

Altakstan
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 24, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Altakstan » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:00 am

Sounds cool
Nation Name: Tribal Confederacy of Altakistan
Wiki Page
http://www.nswiki.net/index.php?title=Altakistan

http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=142517

Northern Artic Islands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Artic Islands » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:02 am

Altakstan wrote:Sounds cool

Another two players and I'll post Apps.

Hell, I could even do it now.

The problem with quotes on the Internet, is the difficulty to verify it's authenticity -Abraham Lincoln

Khodesia
Envoy

Founded: Feb 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Khodesia » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:07 am

Nation Name:Khodesia
Family Name (Keep it Italian-ish):de la Roche
Members of the Family:Eduardo de la Roche,Maria de la Roche,Georgio de la Roche,Jacob de la Roche
Family's Business:Bankers
Relations outside Venice:They are related to the ruler of the Duchy of Athens (created after the 4th Crucade and the fall of the Eastern Roman Empire)
Background:The de la Roche family rose to power in 1204,after the 4th Crusade.Up to that time,the de la Roche's were a family with moderate influence in Venice.But after the 4th Crusade,the father of the current head of the house,21 years old Eduardo de la Roche,Luke de la Roche was granted the title of the Duke of Athens.Athens,an important port in the Aegean Sea which was the road the Constantinopole,brought the family large amount of wealth and influence.With this,the de la Roche's soon rose to one of the top-dog families in Venice,with heavy influence.With the control of the Duchy of Athens,the de la Roche's have two ways.Rise peacefully to power in Venice,or allow the wealth of the Duchy to do this for them.........
Last edited by Khodesia on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Khodesiese Republiek|Khodesian Republic

Northern Artic Islands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Artic Islands » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:13 am

Ah, how could I forget. Please, write some brief history about your Family's rise to power, if you can.

Northern Artic Islands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Artic Islands » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:59 pm

Khodesia wrote:Nation Name:Khodesia
Family Name (Keep it Italian-ish):de la Roche
Members of the Family:Eduardo de la Roche,Maria de la Roche,Georgio de la Roche,Jacob de la Roche
Family's Business:Bankers
Relations outside Venice:They are related to the ruler of the Duchy of Athens (created after the 4th Crucade and the fall of the Eastern Roman Empire)
Background:The de la Roche family rose to power in 1204,after the 4th Crusade.Up to that time,the de la Roche's were a family with moderate influence in Venice.But after the 4th Crusade,the father of the current head of the house,21 years old Eduardo de la Roche,Luke de la Roche was granted the title of the Duke of Athens.Athens,an important port in the Aegean Sea which was the road the Constantinopole,brought the family large amount of wealth and influence.With this,the de la Roche's soon rose to one of the top-dog families in Venice,with heavy influence.With the control of the Duchy of Athens,the de la Roche's have two ways.Rise peacefully to power in Venice,or allow the wealth of the Duchy to do this for them.........

Perfect. Accepted.

Northern Artic Islands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Artic Islands » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:03 am

Consider this a bump.

I know the OOC introduction is not very high quality, but please join, I'll put more effort in the IC.

The Jonathanian States
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Jonathanian States » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:44 am

Is this still active?
I love medieval/renaissance Venice.
Returned Nationstater -- You can leave Nationstates but Nationstates won't leave you.
Call me Jon, John, or Johnny, Jonathan or Jonnyboy, tJS and Jonathanian, with "states" or without.
This nation doesn't really represent my views and sarcasm is awesome.

Northern Artic Islands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Artic Islands » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:54 am

The Jonathanian States wrote:Is this still active?

I lost hope on it, since no one posted, but hey, if some other people join, I can still start it.

Rygondria
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 12, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Rygondria » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:56 am

Cool a italian city state rp where you play in venice

The Jonathanian States
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Jonathanian States » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:01 pm

Northern Artic Islands wrote:
The Jonathanian States wrote:Is this still active?

I lost hope on it, since no one posted, but hey, if some other people join, I can still start it.

Jon 1,calling OP,attention,app incoming!

Nation Name: The Jonathanian States
Family Name (Keep it Italian-ish): [House of] Contarini
Members of the Family: Jacopo Contarini,couldnt find any other members
Family's Business:
trade, technology, trade: both import and exports, science, religion, art, banking and finance as well as in diplomacy and war.
[I quoted it,cause its unbelievable much(or at least I wouldnt believe it)].
Relations outside Venice: represented in over twenty auxiliary and cadet noble branches that include ranks currently among European sovereign, royal and aristocratic descendants. [couldnt find any details]
Brief history:

The House of Contarini was one the oldest founding families of the Venetian Republic, and were and remain through extended family consanguinity present in the Veneto's population, represented in over twenty auxiliary and cadet noble branches that include ranks currently among European sovereign, royal and aristocratic descendants. 960 AD marks the first historically verified documentation of the Contarini, with Domenico hailed as the first Contarini-born Doge.
Returned Nationstater -- You can leave Nationstates but Nationstates won't leave you.
Call me Jon, John, or Johnny, Jonathan or Jonnyboy, tJS and Jonathanian, with "states" or without.

New Cosgravia
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Cosgravia » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:20 pm

Nation Name:New Cosgravia
Family Name (Keep it Italian-ish): de Raccionelli
Members of the Family: Frederico de Raccionelli, Lucrezia de Raccionelli, Luco de Raccionelli, Maria de Raccionelli, Sara Duchess of Barbant, Anton Duke of Barbant
Family's Business:merchants, shipbuilders and traders
Relations outside Venice: the Barbant Duchy, Lady Maria de Raccionelli
Brief history: the de Raccionellis arrived in Venice from Milan in 1134 as poor and destitute. Making use of noble marriages and corruption, they soon rose to control their own powerful merchant navy and a quarter of Venetian trade.
The current House Head, Frederico, arranged the marriage of his eldest daughter Sara to the Duke of Barbant in Belgium, who visited Venice in 1211. This marriage proved to be important, as the de Raccionellis now had control of a private army they could have shipped in in order to help them with their ultimate goal: the armed overthrow of the Doge and the in statement of the de Raccionalli monarchy.

The Jonathanian States
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Jonathanian States » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:59 pm

New Cosgravia wrote:Nation Name:New Cosgravia
Members of the Family: Frederico de Raccionelli, Lucrezia de Raccionelli, Luco de Raccionelli, Maria de Raccionelli, Sara Duchess of Barbant, Anton Duke of Barbant
Brief history: the de Raccionellis arrived in Venice from Milan in 1134 as poor and destitute. Making use of noble marriages and corruption, they soon rose to control their own powerful merchant navy and a quarter of Venetian trade.
The current House Head, Frederico, arranged the marriage of his eldest daughter Sara to the Duke of Barbant in Belgium, who visited Venice in 1211. This marriage proved to be important, as the de Raccionellis now had control of a private army they could have shipped in in order to help them with their ultimate goal: the armed overthrow of the Doge and the in statement of the de Raccionalli monarchy.

A) I think what you mean is (spelled) Brabant.
b) Are we allowed to invent nobles outside of Venice?
If so,Latin Empire,here I come....

Northern Artic Islands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Artic Islands » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:03 pm

The Jonathanian States wrote:

Jon 1,calling OP,attention,app incoming!

Family's Business:
trade, technology, trade: both import and exports, science, religion, art, banking and finance as well as in diplomacy and war.
Relations outside Venice: represented in over twenty auxiliary and cadet noble branches that include ranks currently among European sovereign, royal and aristocratic descendants. [couldnt find any details]
Brief history:

The House of Contarini was one the oldest founding families of the Venetian Republic, and were and remain through extended family consanguinity present in the Veneto's population, represented in over twenty auxiliary and cadet noble branches that include ranks currently among European sovereign, royal and aristocratic descendants. 960 AD marks the first historically verified documentation of the Contarini, with Domenico hailed as the first Contarini-born Doge.

You do know that you don't have to be real, right? You could just create a family out of nothing.

Yes, you can invent other rulers, just don't make your son the Emperor of the HRE. Dukes, counts, and other barons are ok.

Accepted.
Last edited by Northern Artic Islands on Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Jonathanian States
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Jonathanian States » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:37 pm

The Jonathanian States wrote:Jon 1,calling OP,attention,app incoming!

Family's Business: [I quoted it,cause its unbelievable much(or at least I wouldnt believe it)].
Brief history:

You do know that you don't have to be real, right? You could just create a family out of nothing.

Yes, you can invent other rulers, just don't make your son the Emperor of the HRE. Dukes, counts, and other barons are ok.

Accepted.

Ok.
Im still going to take the Contarini,but change them a bit.

Members of the Family: Jacopo Contarini,Marco and Mario Contarini,Maria Contarini,many more....
Family's Business:
Relations outside Venice: represented in over twenty auxiliary and cadet noble branches that include ranks currently among European sovereign, royal and aristocratic descendants.
During the 4th Crusade Jacopo was one of the leaders of a unit of mercenaries,which enabled him to gain and later ruler,the Principiality of Achea.
Marriages with nobles of Italian states,including Marco being married to the daughter of the Visconti Duke of Florence.

Brief history:

The Contarinis had made larger gains in the recent fourth crusade.
This gave various(closer and distant) members of the family titles in the Latin empire.
The Most notable of these is the conquering of Achea by Jacopo.

Good like that?

Northern Artic Islands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Artic Islands » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:58 pm

The Jonathanian States wrote:

Accepted.

Ok.

Members of the Family: Jacopo Contarini,Marco and Mario Contarini,Maria Contarini,many more....
Family's Business:
Relations outside Venice: represented in over twenty auxiliary and cadet noble branches that include ranks currently among European sovereign, royal and aristocratic descendants.
During the 4th Crusade Jacopo was one of the leaders of a unit of mercenaries,which enabled him to gain and later ruler,the Principiality of Achea.
Marriages with nobles of Italian states,including Marco being married to the daughter of the Visconti Duke of Florence.

Brief history:

This gave various(closer and distant) members of the family titles in the Latin empire.

Good like that?

Yes, accepted. Although, if you could narrow a bit your Family Business, that'd be great.

The Jonathanian States
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Jonathanian States » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:10 pm

The Jonathanian States wrote:Ok.

Family's Business: [I quoted it,cause its unbelievable much(or at least I wouldnt believe it)].

Brief history:

Good like that?

Yes, accepted. Although, if you could narrow a bit your Family Business, that'd be great.

I am accepted,am I?

But ok,even though it is based on the real one,here:
Family's Business:
trade: both import and exports,art, banking and finance as well as in diplomacy and war.

-technology,science,religion.

Valentir
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Valentir » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:43 pm

Nation Name:Valentir
Family Name (Keep it Italian-ish): Mede (Its Latin if thats ok)
Members of the Family:Titus Mede (Leader of the Family), Domenico Mede (Titus's brother), Attrebus Mede (Titus's second Brother), Vittoria Mede (Wife of Titus), Constantina Mede(Titus, Domenico, and Attrebus's sister)
Family's Business:Weapons and Armor making, metal industry, war machinery
Relations outside Venice:Good ties with the Turin family of france and maintains good contact with Pisa, Genoa, and Byzantium
Brief history: The Mede family has always had many enemies. but they are industrious and masters of business. They fuel their wealth with the lives of others and are not afraid to use underhanded tactics to achieve their ambitions. The late deceased Alfonso and Selena Mede opened up a Weapons manufacturer and switched the Family trade from agriculture to industry. The Mede's have always used money to get what they want and they are ready to use it now as the young Titus Mede, aged 26, is at the head of a wealthy and devious family empire of wealth and power. Ambition guides the Mede Family and they will not let anyone in their way, and only time can tell what they will be capable of........

Marches
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Marches » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:24 am

Hmmm, the real Marches (Ancona, Macerata, Fermo, Pesaro, etc.) are too far away. I'll play as an (originally) Lombard family, recent transplants to Venice.

Nation Name: Marches
Family Name: Montenegro
Members of the Family:
  • Grimaldo Montenegro di Verona (father)
  • Giustino Montenegro di Verona (son, aged 19)
  • Gerardo Montenegro di Verona (son, aged 15)
  • Gilberto Montenegro di Verona (son, aged 13)
Family's Business: agriculture, control of central and eastern Italian trade routes, postal services (like the Thurn und Taxis, who also originated from Lombardy), defense
Relations outside Venice (in relation to Grimaldo): Garibaldo Montenegro (brother, Lord of Verona); Folco Montenegro (cousin, co-regent of Lecco and the Valtellina); Bruno Montenegro (uncle, Lord of Padova), Adriano Montenegro di Brescia (grand-uncle, Prince-Bishop of Trento), Alboino Montenegro (Lord of Vicenza), Rodoaldo Montenegro (Lord of Cremona), Azzo Montenegro Bergamasco (Lord of Bergamo), Astolfo Montenegro (Lord of Mantova), and Arduino Montenegro (Lord of Brescia, family patriarch)
Brief history:
The family's power primarily comes from its influence in the Alpine foothills of the Po valley. The family started as the Lombard-descended lords of the castle village of Sirmione, on the southern shore of Lake Garda. Their success in organizing the communities around Lake Garda was the foundation of a successful dynasty. By the 11th century they had established themselves as the lords of Brescia and in its surrounding countryside. Branches of their family established themselves in six neighboring cities. Unusually for clans at their time, the Montenegro family generally has been cohesive, holding a festa famiglia (something like family reunions) every now and then. The Montenegro-held territories, the cities of Brescia, Bergamo, Mantova, Vicenza, Verona, Cremona, and Padova, along with their surrounding territories, (collectively called Orobia/Eastern Lombardy) formed the nucleus of the Lombard League. The League was instrumental in breaking the rule of the Holy Roman Empire from northern Italy in the late 12th century. From then on, the podestà (lords) of the various Lombard cities became de facto independent (nominally vassals of the HRE), giving much powers to the Montenegro family. Other cadet branches of the family are influential, but not the rulers, of the lands of Lodi, Crema, Parma, Piacenza, Ferrara, and Lecco. The Montenegro cities are, through the Lombard League, also allied with Milan, Varese, Como, Treviso, Modena, Reggio, Bologna, and Genova.

Given their influence over northern Italy and their strategic locations and alliances, the Montenegro family is in a good position to supply Venice with the goods it needs, and control the land and alpine routes from Venice to the west (for trade and defense). With their historic animosity towards the Holy Roman Emperors (albeit with good relations towards the Pope), the Montenegro family wants to find allies that it can help and can help it. So the brother of the lord of Verona and his sons was sent to Venice to settle in the city, and build relations with the Republic. What would Venice do? The Montenegro family can be Venice's best ally, or its worst enemy. Which one will they be?

(Mostly invented, though based in history (and the Scaliger family). History up to 1211 is still the same, but the Montenegro family inserts/replaces for the the relevant historical figures during the Wars of the Lombard League.)

Mega Corp International
Secretary

Founded: Jan 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Mega Corp International » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:21 am

I'd be interested in this, I'll comback latter with an application after doing some research. I have for some time found the Republic of Venice to be most fasinating :)

Nation Name: Mega Corp International
Family Name (Keep it Italian-ish): Scipio
Members of the Family:
- Scipio Ronaldi, Patriarch, Member of the Pregadi, Ownsand opperates the family Warehouse, currently used to store glassware.
- Scipio Ernesti, Son of Ronaldi, acting head of Scipio House Gondola Company (his father feels it to be a poor investment believing he should have invested in more commercial shiping)
- Glondea Scipio, Daughter of Ernesti
- Bordelo, Son of Ronaldi's brother who parished at sea. Bordelo is under his care though the young lad mostly spends time with Ernesti's Gondolas.
Family's Business: Warehouse and Gondola
Relations outside Venice:
- Hanse Scipi, Cousin and Bishop in the kingdom of the Lombards.
Brief history: -Still working-
Last edited by Mega Corp International on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
MT
Ticker Symbol: UNASE:MCI

Mega Corp International is a company registered under the UNA federal government and lays no claim to sovereignty.

The Jonathanian States
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Jonathanian States » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:40 am

Valentir wrote:Nation Name:Valentir
Family Name (Keep it Italian-ish): Mede (Its Latin if thats ok)
Members of the Family:Titus Mede (Leader of the Family), Domenico Mede (Titus's brother), Attrebus Mede (Titus's second Brother), Vittoria Mede (Wife of Titus), Constantina Mede(Titus, Domenico, and Attrebus's sister)
Family's Business:Weapons and Armor making, metal industry, war machinery
Relations outside Venice:Good ties with the Turin family of france and maintains good contact with Pisa, Genoa, and Byzantium
Brief history: The Mede family has always had many enemies. but they are industrious and masters of business. They fuel their wealth with the lives of others and are not afraid to use underhanded tactics to achieve their ambitions. The late deceased Alfonso and Selena Mede opened up a Weapons manufacturer and switched the Family trade from agriculture to industry. The Mede's have always used money to get what they want and they are ready to use it now as the young Titus Mede, aged 26, is at the head of a wealthy and devious family empire of wealth and power. Ambition guides the Mede Family and they will not let anyone in their way, and only time can tell what they will be capable of........

The Contarini helped destroy the byzantine empire.
It seems these relations of yours proved useless.

Marches wrote:Hmmm, the real Marches (Ancona, Macerata, Fermo, Pesaro, etc.) are too far away. I'll play as an (originally) Lombard family, recent transplants to Venice.

Nation Name: Marches
Family Name: Montenegro
Members of the Family:
  • Grimaldo Montenegro di Verona (father)
  • Giustino Montenegro di Verona (son, aged 19)
  • Gerardo Montenegro di Verona (son, aged 15)
  • Gilberto Montenegro di Verona (son, aged 13)
Family's Business: agriculture, control of central and eastern Italian trade routes, postal services (like the Thurn und Taxis, who also originated from Lombardy), defense
Relations outside Venice (in relation to Grimaldo): Garibaldo Montenegro (brother, Lord of Verona); Folco Montenegro (cousin, co-regent of Lecco and the Valtellina); Bruno Montenegro (uncle, Lord of Padova), Adriano Montenegro di Brescia (grand-uncle, Prince-Bishop of Trento), Alboino Montenegro (Lord of Vicenza), Rodoaldo Montenegro (Lord of Cremona), Azzo Montenegro Bergamasco (Lord of Bergamo), Astolfo Montenegro (Lord of Mantova), and Arduino Montenegro (Lord of Brescia, family patriarch)
Brief history:
The family's power primarily comes from its influence in the Alpine foothills of the Po valley. The family started as the Lombard-descended lords of the castle village of Sirmione, on the southern shore of Lake Garda. Their success in organizing the communities around Lake Garda was the foundation of a successful dynasty. By the 11th century they had established themselves as the lords of Brescia and in its surrounding countryside. Branches of their family established themselves in six neighboring cities. Unusually for clans at their time, the Montenegro family generally has been cohesive, holding a festa famiglia (something like family reunions) every now and then. The Montenegro-held territories, the cities of Brescia, Bergamo, Mantova, Vicenza, Verona, Cremona, and Padova, along with their surrounding territories, (collectively called Orobia/Eastern Lombardy) formed the nucleus of the Lombard League. The League was instrumental in breaking the rule of the Holy Roman Empire from northern Italy in the late 12th century. From then on, the podestà (lords) of the various Lombard cities became de facto independent (nominally vassals of the HRE), giving much powers to the Montenegro family. Other cadet branches of the family are influential, but not the rulers, of the lands of Lodi, Crema, Parma, Piacenza, Ferrara, and Lecco. The Montenegro cities are, through the Lombard League, also allied with Milan, Varese, Como, Treviso, Modena, Reggio, Bologna, and Genova.

Given their influence over northern Italy and their strategic locations and alliances, the Montenegro family is in a good position to supply Venice with the goods it needs, and control the land and alpine routes from Venice to the west (for trade and defense). With their historic animosity towards the Holy Roman Emperors (albeit with good relations towards the Pope), the Montenegro family wants to find allies that it can help and can help it. So the brother of the lord of Verona and his sons was sent to Venice to settle in the city, and build relations with the Republic. What would Venice do? The Montenegro family can be Venice's best ally, or its worst enemy. Which one will they be?

(Mostly invented, though based in history (and the Scaliger family). History up to 1211 is still the same, but the Montenegro family inserts/replaces for the the relevant historical figures during the Wars of the Lombard League.)

Wow.
Thats many family lords.

Kaledoria
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaledoria » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:37 pm

This sounds cool, I'm playing Crusader Kings 2: The Republic now, anyway, although I picked my own anachronistic Republic of Novgorod ....

Anyway, in Italy... Is the Name Borgia taken already? ... Eh, well, I just make something up ...

Nation Name: Kaledoria, last time I checked.
Family Name: Mytosi
Members of the Family: I tried to write it down but it just got to confusing. So here in a family tree. Missing are children of the women, married-into family members (except for the first generation) and a few cousins I have not yet thought about. (and maybe some family members, that died without children)
Family's Business (in order): Trade, ship-building, construction-work, horse-breeding, patrons of the arts
Relations outside Venice: Frederico has deep connections to the Holy Roman Empire, the German parts specifically. He has plenty of business contacts in the City of Lübeck (The Hansa does not exist yet, however, since Lübeck was granted the Artlenburger privilege 50 years ago, it pushes heavily to become the northern trade center instead of Visby) and has made some trade with Swabia and Burgundy. The family has some good terms with Sicily (even before the Hohenstaufens took over), his nephew Donatello is a knight and influential nobleman at the court there (even though he was not noble from birth but lifted into knighthood by Constance, the former Queen of Sicily).
There is also a brother-in-law in Constantinople and a number of lesser business contacts, mostly in Aquilea, Trevisio, Georgia, Trebizond, Pisa and the Almohads.
Brief history: Romero Mytosi was a man gifted with an incredibly good business sense and an a very fertile women. He got rich by selling ships to buisness contact in foreign markets, especially Algiers, Jerusalem and undisclosed areas of Byzantium north of the Black Sea and in Georgia (as he says, he is an open-minded guy: Muslims, Orthodox, he takes everybody's money). Not only were these reasonably good markets for advanced, Venetian merchant ships, when these people then started to ship their wares oversea, Romero's trading ports were the first place they brought them to. This move made him some enemies amongst families that previously made good money from going to these places and picking up trading goods there at cheap prices. His first marriage with Diana d'Orsini was blessed with 7 children, the boys he introduced to the business, the girls he married strategically to one of the bigger Venetian houses as well as to influential Houses in Milan and Constantinople. 25 years ago, however, he lost his oldest son and his wife to the plague. His second son took over as his dedicated heir.
Romero's second marriage was a thing of both, prestige and actual romance. 2 years after the death of his first wife, the widow Cordelia of the noble French family of Anjou decided to marry a lowborn like Romero before never marrying again, demanding a mere 100 florins as a bride price paid to her family (a bargain for someone who is a 4th degree cousin of the King of France).
Within the next 5 years, Romero passed most of his family business to his heir.
Frederico had at that point already made some connections of his own. He had spend a lot of time in Northern Italy and even met Barbarossa twice who impressed him a lot. Frederico realized they basically had the same name and used his Germanized name later on. Between the contesting nobles after Barbarossa's death however, he placed his bet's on Henry VI, which proved to be a mistake, and he is not on good terms with the current Emperor, Otto IV. He is however still in good terms with Prince-Bishops Bertold of Lübeck and a number of merchants there as well as loose contacts to the Hohenstaufens, the Count of Burgundy and the Duke of Swabia.
Lately, Conrado, son of Frederico has been taken over more and more responsibility about the inner affairs in the Great city, while Frederico is concerned with affairs abroad. The old Romero is infirm, though he greedily clings to his life like if it was a sack of florins. He was however happy to see his first Great-Great-Grandson Romero born last spring. Not many people get to see their Grandson's Grandson.

Notes / Random Facts ... I made up before the IC started:
- Friedrich speaks Italian (obviously) and fluently German and (North) Frisian. He knows a few bits Dutch (Which has some similarities to Frisian), English and Latin (which is a rather bad Latin for a supposedly cultured man).
- The family name is not pronounced like the English word "my" but rather like the Greek letter μ
Last edited by Kaledoria on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.

The Jonathanian States
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Jonathanian States » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:57 pm

Kaledoria wrote:This sounds cool, I'm playing Crusader Kings 2: The Republic now, anyway, although I picked my own anachronistic Republic of Novgorod ....

Play it too.
Made a venice with trade hubs all over europe.

Marches
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Marches » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:37 am

The Jonathanian States wrote:Wow.
Thats many family lords.

It must be remembered, though, that northern Italy during the early 13th century is a mess of city-states composed of small lordships around a city. The podestà is not the equivalent of a count, since these are elected by the citizens or citizens' representatives. So the position is technically non-hereditary, but the fact that it is not hereditary means that a family can easily work their way into the ruling circles of several cities. That's how many of the famous Italian "noble" families started, although many eventually consolidated their power into a hereditary position. By the Peace of Constance, the nominal sovereign of the city-states in north Italy is still the HRE. ;) Also, the Kingdom of Lombardy did not exist in 1211 as a discrete entity. Hence my Lombard League, although I'm open to having other players having relations with cities in there too, since I have staked out only seven (Brescia, Bergamo, Cremona, Mantova, Verona, Vicenza, and Padova) to be directly under their control (but influential in others). They're Guelphs, too, so they're allied with the Pope. :lol:

The Jonathanian States
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Jonathanian States » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:43 am

Marches wrote:
The Jonathanian States wrote:Wow.
Thats many family lords.

It must be remembered, though, that northern Italy during the early 13th century is a mess of city-states composed of small lordships around a city. The podestà is not the equivalent of a count, since these are elected by the citizens or citizens' representatives. So the position is technically non-hereditary, but the fact that it is not hereditary means that a family can easily work their way into the ruling circles of several cities. That's how many of the famous Italian "noble" families started, although many eventually consolidated their power into a hereditary position. By the Peace of Constance, the nominal sovereign of the city-states in north Italy is still the HRE. ;) Also, the Kingdom of Lombardy did not exist in 1211 as a discrete entity. Hence my Lombard League, although I'm open to having other players having relations with cities in there too, since I have staked out only seven (Brescia, Bergamo, Cremona, Mantova, Verona, Vicenza, and Padova) to be directly under their control (but influential in others). They're Guelphs, too, so they're allied with the Pope. :lol:

Still......
Im not the OP,but this seems rather much.......

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse